PDA

View Full Version : Sick and Tired of Cloakless Jedi

Darth Detori
08-23-2002, 09:22 PM
Who else is getting fed up with all these cloakless jedi figures?!? They're wearing their cloaks for more than 3/4ths of the movie anyway!
Tatooine Attack Anakin; Where may I ask is his cloak??? He had one in that scene, so where is it? and how about deluxe anakin???
And dont get me started with pilot obi- his cloak was utter crap. it looked like the kind of cloak a rapper would wear, it was so puffy. I want a frickin' plastic, formed cloak.

here's an idea: Why don't they make good, FITTING cloaks with wires in the lining so you can put them in more dynamic poses?

and WHERE is the articulation??? Look at spider-man, look at the Marvel Legends line- TONS of articulation, and most of it is barely visable! Where's our articulation, hasbro, where is it?!?

With such a vast, huge universe of characters to work off of, WHY do they keep giving us innacurate resculpts of the same characters when they could make a super-articulated, entirely accurate figure of a main character and then do tons of other characters at the same time???
Do we REALLY need another Jango? How many do we have now, three? four? just do it right the first time! and none of this deluxe backpack that's five times too large crap either, that's just a waste of my time.
And another thing: how long am I going to have to wait for a metal anakin saber??? It looks SOOOOOO stupid having an anakin with a metal saber in one hand and a plastic one in the other. And why isn't dooku's blade removeable?
And how about all these figures that wont stand up? How much would it cost them to just chuck in a stand with each figure??? a cent, that's how much. I mean come on, it'd be a circle of plastic with two pegs in it; you make a million of these and it wont cost anything. Dont you tell me commtech chips either, those are crummy excuses for stands. They're like stepping stools for the figures.
WHAT is UP with the deluxes??? Why cant they make a single good one??? ok, they've made three of some quality: Yoda, 3PO, and the Nexu. Mace is debateable. But force flipping obi and tyranus..... they didn't even work! the percentage of people that can actually get those to work is equal to the percantage of americans that can drink moxie without vomiting. You know what they should do for deluxes? either A: shove in TONS of accessories that are pertinant to the character and give them tons of articulation or B: make two-pack scenes from the movie; GOOD ones. what they SHOULD have done was had Final Duel mace and jango as one set and maybe give jango a better pose. A yoda vs. dooku set too. use your imagination.

that felt good- glad I got that all off my chest.

hango fett
08-23-2002, 09:27 PM
me! i really wanted TA ani with a plastic cloak, but not in this life time...
h

Geonosian
08-23-2002, 09:38 PM
I really, badly want a Anakin with a PLASTIC robe!

Fot crying out load Hasbro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Pirate: :mad:

Darth forb1us
08-23-2002, 09:40 PM
yeah no doubt.. get the lead out hasbro. :frus:

good post.

(edit) while im on the getting the lead out idea.. CMON WALMART! stock some new stuff!!! (you to tru, kb.. target.. ugh)

Tomorrow better not be a waste of gas :dead:

Lord Tenebrous
08-23-2002, 10:19 PM
Hmmm...I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

1. Cloaks get in the way of action features (which is why only Collection 2 Jedi are sculpted with them). So next year, once the 'kid push' wanes, your super-articulated collector's Anakin will have a cloak.

2. Hasbro articulates where the cuts won't affect the overall appearance of the character. You can only fit in ~12 before sculpting detail is compromised.

3. Popular main characters sell the line.

4. Dooku's blade wasn't detachable because the blade is attached to the handle extension and strengthens it. Metal handles are used with Force attraction magnets, and in the hangar, Anakin only Force-attracts the green saber.

5. Deluxe is designed for children.

AreTwo-DeeTwo
08-23-2002, 10:24 PM
I am sure a robed Jedi or 2 are sure to pop eventually.

Rogue II
08-23-2002, 10:43 PM
Is this the place to complain about not getting a soft robed Ben Kenobi that can fit into Luke's Landspeeder or am I in the wrong place?

Count Dooku
08-23-2002, 10:59 PM
I certainly agree with one of the points made. The deluxe Obi, Darth, and Jango. Especially the first two. I mean "Force Flipping Action" is pretty gay. The deluxe Obi is pegwarming in a HUUUUUGE way around here. I actually really like the Anakin and Mace deluxe because they are like a 2 pack and are fighting another guy in the package! Especially the Anakin, you can see the Geo's guts right there, that's pretty cool. The Obi is brutal though, and the Jango is kind of bad, just a bunch of accessories, pretty boring figure.

LTBasker
08-23-2002, 11:25 PM
Obi-Wan CC - Uncloaked
Obi-Wan JSF Pilot - Cloaked
Anakin TA - Uncloaked
Kit Fisto - Uncloaked
Luminara - Cloaked
Shaak Ti - Cloaked
Qui-Gon - Cloaked
Nikto - Cloaked
Plo Koon - Uncloaked (unless you use the POTJ figure of course)
Saesee - Uncloaked
Mace GR - Uncloaked
Mace Deluxe - Uncloaked
Eeth Koth (since he's more E2 than E1/POTJ) - Cloaked
Yoda - Cloaked
Yoda Deluxe - Cloaked
Dooku - Cloaked (Cape)

7 Uncloaked
9 Cloaked

So we got 2 cloaked Jedi over 7 uncloaked, and you're sick and tired of cloakless Jedi? :D

I'm not counting Deluxe Anakin, Anakin HD, Anakin PD, or the Deluxe Obi-Wan and Dooku because Deluxe Obi-Wan and Dooku couldn't have cloaks because the Force Flipping feature would most likely not work even more, and those three Anakins didn't have cloaks in their scenes except for Anakin PD which was a poncho thing which he DID come with. Well Deluxe Anakin did have his cloak in the scene he's SUPPOSED to be from of course, but it's a cheap figure and only the slice-apart Geo should be counted as a real figure. ;)

Darth Detori
08-23-2002, 11:40 PM
while I'm at it- WHY can't they somehow make it so that all figures are released everywhere simultaneously??? Enough with this random release crap! Enough with the east coast getting to see all the happy faces while they've got kapoot. Enough with Canada and Europe waiting endlessly.
argh, I just hate living in NH. I'm STILL looking for Vader Unleashed

Old Fossil
08-23-2002, 11:59 PM
I hear ya, Rogue II. I fear the wait will be long, though.

I wouldn't mind seeing a nice robed Qui-gon Jinn, either -- that is, soft goods. Let me go see if JSP Obi's robe fits on one of my decloaked Qui-Gons...

Prince Xizor
08-24-2002, 12:18 AM
Whats with that crappy cloak that came with the Arena Accersory kit? Plo Kloon is the only jedi that I have that it fits on, but it still looks absolutely stupid. As anyone found a figure it looks good on?

Obi-Don
08-24-2002, 04:28 AM
I like the idea of wires in the robes. I don't see it happening though. I wish that Hasbro would make more Jedi's with robes. And while I'm at it. I think a metal hilt for Dooku would be cool.

Darth Detori
08-24-2002, 06:02 AM
I was going to say something about a metal dooku hilt, but that'd be too hard for them to do since they'd have to cut them at an angle.

and Xizor: yes, I found a figure it looks good on: A Stikfa ;)
oh, and if you put Darth Maul's cloak from the Episode I Sith Accessory Set, instant Nazgul!

Sinister Lord
08-24-2002, 06:53 AM
Obi-Wan JSF Pilot - Cloaked
Luminara - Cloaked
Shaak Ti - Cloaked
Qui-Gon - Cloaked
Nikto - Cloaked
Eeth Koth (since he's more E2 than E1/POTJ) - Cloaked
Yoda - Cloaked
Yoda Deluxe - Cloaked
Dooku - Cloaked (Cape)

That's quite a few with cloaks... not to mention that many of the earlier Jedi figures came with cloaks... Like POTJ Plo Koon, EPI Mace, POTJ Saesee Tiin, EPI Adi Gallia, etc. I don't think there is a lot of reason to complain.

If you really want a cloak for your figure... just go to the local hobby shop, buy some brown sculpy, and sculpt your own! That's what I do when I find that a figure is missing something... I just customize it.

hango fett
08-24-2002, 07:55 AM
uh....your wrong on every one but JSP obi-wan. we were talking about EASY REMOVABLE CLOAKS not plastic ones that will break the figures arms of if you try to take it of.
h

Sinister Lord
08-24-2002, 08:48 AM
Huh??? I've never broken the arms on a figure by removing its cloak.

hango fett
08-24-2002, 08:57 AM
well, what i mean is that unless they say removable cloak on the right side of the insert, it shouldn't be tried to be removed. the only one that says anything like that for the SAGA line is JSP obi.
h

Sinister Lord
08-24-2002, 09:31 AM
But if there is already a version of the figure without the cloak, then there is not much reason to remove it from the cloaked one. I mean, if you already own both versions of the figure then you can just have one cloaked and one uncloaked, right? For instance, I already have both versions of Plo Koon... so there is no reason to remove the cloak from the one that has it.

Darth forb1us
08-24-2002, 12:48 PM
the saga vader, and 1 of the luminara Unduli's have removeable cloaks as well ( vaders kept falling off, but squeezing it made it form fitting)

removeable cloaks = nice
molded - part of the fig cloaks = nice :)

crappy garbage soft good cloaks = arse!!
non crappy soft good cloaks = nice

Mar10Sir
08-24-2002, 02:53 PM
Permanent non-removable cloaks: best (in my opinion, they look much better).

Plastic removable cloaks (EI Mace Windu or POTJ Obi-Wan Jedi Knight): mmmh... OK.

Fabric (removable or non-rmeovable) cloaks: Suck BIG time.

Lord Tenebrous
08-24-2002, 03:14 PM
Fabric is great when they get it right, though. The Maul with the Sith Speeder wasn't a great action figure, but the cloak was ideal. I tore off the carded Tatooine Maul's head, put Final Maul's head on, replaced the plastic cloak with the cloth cloak, and it's one Maul that looks great, any way I want him.

But it is planning that causes these debates. Movie years are the least accurate because of unresolved filming issues, and making toys that kids want.

And I still love cloth capes and field cloaks (like CommTech Vader). Not too detailed, but it gives much more freedom than the plastic version.

pthfnder89
08-24-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
Fabric is great when they get it right, though. The Maul with the Sith Speeder wasn't a great action figure, but the cloak was ideal. I tore off the carded Tatooine Maul's head, put Final Maul's head on, replaced the plastic cloak with the cloth cloak, and it's one Maul that looks great, any way I want him.

And I still love cloth capes and field cloaks (like CommTech Vader). Not too detailed, but it gives much more freedom than the plastic version.

Absolutely Lord Tenebrous. I've said several times that I LOVE fabric cloaks and I stick by it.

JSP Obi Wan's cloak was a bit big, but it comes down to the fact that fabric just doesn't drape over something that small because it isn't heavy enough. I still like Obi Wan's and I bought several extra to have with other figures.

the cloak that came with the Arena Accessory set sucked, because it was exactly the same as the one that came with the Ep1 Accessory Sets, only a darker brown color. And that one sucked BIG TIME. The version that came with Obi Wan is MUCH more accurate, it just looks a little off on such a small figure.

I really like molded cloaks too, when they're done right. The Naboo Qui Gonn and Obi Wan from TPM stand as my two favorite Jedi figures from any line so far, because they look like exactly what Jedi should look like. They're in calm, normal poses, but they have some great articulation so that they can instantly be fighting.

I would like more Jedi like this, but if Hasbro wants to keep experimenting with new fabric outfits I'm happy to support them because I think that's the best way to go.:)

Darth forb1us
08-24-2002, 09:59 PM
On a hunt today, I walked past the LOTR, picked up the ring wraith w/ horse ,carried it around for a bit, then put it down and said I'd wait, since it just came out (bought some gi joe instead)
BUT I had a thought, his cloak/robe somewhat drapes on his "body" and seems that it would flow in the breeze.
the soft cloak was nice! I'd like to see that material on some sw fig's, would be good =)

Darth Detori
08-24-2002, 10:23 PM
dude, the ringwraith with horse has been out for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time now- this is the last you'll see it, and the next wraith will be two years from now (other than the twilight ones)

Old Fossil
08-24-2002, 11:43 PM
Following up on my earlier post on this thread:

I unearthed a 'soft goods' EpI Qui-Gon Jinn from my figure hoard earlier this evening. First of all, this guy's frickin' huge. I mean, he stands over 1/2" taller than Coruscant Chase Obi-Wan.

I then took the robe from that ridiculous JSP Obi-Wan and put it on the Qui-Gon. I must say that it is now the best looking Qui-Gon figure I have yet to see. JSP Obi's robe is obviously not suited to figures of small stature; Kenobi is lost in it. But this Qui-Gon sculpt is of sufficient size to almost dominate the robe. It doesn't quite reach the ground, though it comes close in the back, where it flares out a little.

In addition, the way Jinn's hair is sculpted -- flaring out in the back -- holds that bulging hood down easily.

Sorry I have no camera to post a picture, but believe me, if you have this Qui-Gon Jinn sculpt, it's worth digging it out if you don't already have it on display, and putting JSP Kenobi's cloak on. It would probably also work on QGJ Moisture Farmer, though I don't feel like wrangling his poncho off to try it.

In short, this is how a Jedi action figure SHOULD look, IMO.

Darth forb1us
08-25-2002, 11:54 AM
hmm.. you're sure of this? I recognize about 1/2 of the display, and the ring wraith I saw was not the same as the one I did way back.
Well, I'll get it then, rather not take the chance :p

good post Twodot, I'll have to check that out

Sidiously Darth
08-25-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
Hmmm...I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

1. Cloaks get in the way of action features (which is why only Collection 2 Jedi are sculpted with them). So next year, once the 'kid push' wanes, your super-articulated collector's Anakin will have a cloak.

2. Hasbro articulates where the cuts won't affect the overall appearance of the character. You can only fit in ~12 before sculpting detail is compromised.

3. Popular main characters sell the line.

4. Dooku's blade wasn't detachable because the blade is attached to the handle extension and strengthens it. Metal handles are used with Force attraction magnets, and in the hangar, Anakin only Force-attracts the green saber.

5. Deluxe is designed for children.

Well stated LT! Please people try to understand what's going on, Hasbro is a toy company for kids, and have patience. If you wait, the toys will come.;)

Jayspawn
08-26-2002, 12:31 AM
I'm sick of Jedi wihtout robes!

"Come on Hasbro, show me the robes!"