PDA

View Full Version : Why doesnt Jedi Knight Luke get any appreciation???

DravenUnleashed
08-24-2002, 07:43 PM
The last figure they made of him was back in 97 I think and nothin has come since... Most people dont even seem to like him for some reason... Is there any plans out there for any kind of a newly designed figure for him???? Anyone out there even like the guy or am I alone on this one??

The True Maul
08-24-2002, 08:11 PM
I would like a new one,he deserves a new figure! :)

Lord Tenebrous
08-24-2002, 08:23 PM
Oh, there's plenty of asking for him. Probably every month, there's a new thread with new ideas on how to market him.

But I'd imagine Hasbro is just getting the names of these figures (Jedi Luke, Yarna, by some miracle the Tonnika Sisters, etc) and putting them on a list for 2008. Why make them now, when you can milk the customer until the end of the licence, then go out with a bang?

Was that a conspiracy theory I just posted?

Jargo
08-24-2002, 08:33 PM
Don't tempt fate Lord T. it's not a nice thought that we might have to wait that long. All these darth Maul's and jango's and Obi-Wan's are stealing the time away that could be spent making nice figures of better characters. Oh for a Yarna or a captain Antilles or a nice Admiral Ozzel or Moff Jerjerrod or a gragra or a jabba the Hutt or a general madine.........

but no, just more and more one trick pony figures of the same old same old. Perhaps at the tenth jango they might get bored and consider the next ten Luke figures in a straight row. Only the toyshow previews will tell....... :rolleyes:

Darth Vellner
08-24-2002, 09:12 PM
How Ironic! -
Quote:"same old same old.Perhapas at the tenth Jango they might get bored"

On Jedi Luke - Quote:I would like a new one,he deserves a new figure!

I agree with both statements. But its funny how when we Are getting figures,We want different ones, and when we get different ones, We want OTHER different ones.....

Not too long ago I remember people complaining about "Too Many LUKES" and no one wanted any lukes.......I think Hasbro Listened to us! They moved on to "Other Figures" and now everybody's like "Where are all the Lukes" that we NEED!
No one likes resculpts......But now we need a "REsculpt" of Jedi Luke! Just be COOL....we WILL get EVERY FIGURE you could EVER think of (maybe 5 or 6 resclupts too!!) by the time its all over......my guess 2007-2008???

BUT.....It's all good, My homeBoys&Girls!!!!!!!!

stad
08-24-2002, 09:23 PM
It is a no-win situation. I too would like a new Jedi Luke, as that was one of my favorite designs in the trilogy. At the same time, I am getting tired of all the Jango's and Maul's (although the new one is rather nice looking!). It is tough to justify asking for a new re-sculpt of Luke after we all (collectively, more or less) were complaining of yet another Luke resculpt a few years ago, and now we are complaining of the tenth Jango, or Maul, or Anakin, or ... Anyways, though, I too would like a new Jedi Luke, as well as all the other figs/vehicles yet to be made.

Rogue II
08-24-2002, 09:46 PM
I understand why Hasbro didn't make one this year. We got 2 Tatooine Lukes (25th anniversary 2 pack and pack in with Landspeeder) and one Bespin Luke to go with the Bespin Vader....And it was a movie year.

Hopefully Hasbro will get on the ball during the next 2 non movie years and release another Jedi Luke as part of their "3 Lukes per year plan."

Didn't Hasbro say they would never make the Tonnika Sisters? We should quit asking for them and concentrate our efforts on Yarna.

bigbarada
08-24-2002, 10:13 PM
I seem to remember Hasbro proudly declaring that they were only releasing two Luke figures last year (X-Wing and Bacta) in response to everyone asking for more variation.

I don't think people who complained had anything against Luke, just releasing the same version over and over again. (4 Tatooine Lukes in a row: Blast Shield Helmet, Purchase of the Droids, Flashback, Commtech) However, if Hasbro were to release five Lukes in a year of all different outfits (Jedi, Hoth, Bespin, Dagobah, Ceremony) then people would have little to complain about.

Of course, that doesn't mean that people wouldn't still complain.:rolleyes:

Anyways, my point is......um.....well....:confused:

Oh yeah! I want a new Jedi Luke also.:)

sith_killer_99
08-24-2002, 10:25 PM
I think the problem is that we need figures like Luke or Han in MODERATION. POTF2 OC alone has:

Luke Skywalker (Tatooine clothes)
Luke Dagobah
Luke Jedi Knight
Luke X-Wing Pilot
Luke Stormtrooper Outfit

That's 5 Lukes, and there were only 26 figures released on OC!!!

That was overkill, and that is what caused the bad taste in peoples mouths.

Personally, I believe that Hasbro has handled Han Solo very well over the last couple lines. We got a few in the POTJ line and we have one with the new SAGA line. The upcoming Luke/Han Stormie Set sounds great.

We just want to see Luke done in moderation. YES we need more Luke figures, mainly because the POTF2 Lukes look silly next to the POTJ figures!

I would like to point out that we are all, for the most part, thankful for the new Bespin Luke. This is a great figure, for the most part. It also came with some creative and fun accessories. I would love to see Hasbro do a Jedi Knight Luke along those lines (minus the gimmicks).

sith_killer_99
08-24-2002, 10:28 PM
Ooops, BigB posted while I was writing.:D

Looks like we see things just a bit differently.;)

Though, I do agree about the 4 Tatooine Lukes in a row thing. Talk about your re-re-re-resculpts. I think I could go another 5 years without a new Tatooine Luke.:crazed:

pthfnder89
08-24-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I seem to remember Hasbro proudly declaring that they were only releasing two Luke figures last year (X-Wing and Bacta) in response to everyone asking for more variation.

I don't think people who complained had anything against Luke, just releasing the same version over and over again. (4 Tatooine Lukes in a row: Blast Shield Helmet, Purchase of the Droids, Flashback, Commtech) However, if Hasbro were to release five Lukes in a year of all different outfits (Jedi, Hoth, Bespin, Dagobah, Ceremony) then people would have little to complain about.

Well said BB. I didn't even have anything against having several Tatooine Lukes, except that several of them just didn't bring anything new to the table. Blast Sheild Luke and Purchase of the Droids Luke were practically the exact same figure. Commtech and Flashback Luke at lest had some really cool articulation.

You're definitely right that what we need is variation in the main figures. No one complained about Bacta Luke because it was a totally new kind of Luke that we hadn't seen before.

I myself have no problems with them re-releaseing older figures like Bespin Han and Luke as long as the new figure is superior to the old one.

bigbarada
08-24-2002, 10:43 PM
I can see your point sith_killer_99, Luke was never my favorite character. I just saw him as sort of necessary for the line, so I just accepted the fact that he would be in nearly every assortment.

Hasbro did pretty well with Han Solo in the POTF2 line (except for not resculpting his face until the Commtech version).

There are still new, different Lukes that we could get along with the Jedi Knight outfit (many of them are resculpts of the POTF2 versions):

Ceremonial
Stormtrooper Disguise
Hoth
Dagobah
X-Wing/Snowspeeder Pilot (the ESB pilot uniform)
Medical Frigate
Bespin Fatigues (non-battle damaged)
Jedi Cloak (Jabba's Palace)
Endor
ROTJ Final Duel

That's ten versions of Luke that we could still get and should keep Hasbro pretty busy if they release 3-4 Lukes per year over the next three years to Ep3.

bigbarada
08-24-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

Well said BB. I didn't even have anything against having several Tatooine Lukes, except that several of them just didn't bring anything new to the table. Blast Sheild Luke and Purchase of the Droids Luke were practically the exact same figure. Commtech and Flashback Luke at lest had some really cool articulation.

You're definitely right that what we need is variation in the main figures. No one complained about Bacta Luke because it was a totally new kind of Luke that we hadn't seen before.

I myself have no problems with them re-releaseing older figures like Bespin Han and Luke as long as the new figure is superior to the old one.

I agree, I think resculpts are fine as long as they are a true improvement over the previous version. In other words, they should have all the features of the previous figure and then some.

rherk
08-25-2002, 12:39 AM
We definitely need a New luke Jedi. I think it is by far the coolest Luke design(with brown cloak). I just hope it is done right. It is by far the most anticipated figure on my list and could easily make or break my commitment to Star Wars figures. I've been a collector from day 1 and I must say, Hasbro is dissappointing me. There are way to many scene specific figures. To be quite frank, I like the simple (non-pose) look of the originals. I like how you look at the set as a whole it looks complete it looks like a collection. Now I've got 10 Jangos, 20 mauls 26 Hans(a new hope) and 14 Luke tatoine. This may sound like I'm contradicting myself. However, I do want the best look of each character. Anyways, back to the subject at hand. A new Luke jedi is definitely needed. It just needs to be done right.

Bobajames
08-25-2002, 01:04 AM
we need A jedi luke!!! we never got one that had a final battle sculpt like i (and i think everyone else)want! i just want him in his plain black outfit w/o the tunic or cloak, and even to make him look more appealing, include a cloth camoflauge cape and removable helmet. (oh ya i just remembered, we did get a jedi luke; final duel, but i really don't like that one, he won't hold his saber right unless i leave the rubber band on and theres no cool articulation cuz its from potf2)

AdmiralPiett
08-25-2002, 04:29 AM
Has everyone forgotten that a Jedi Luke came with the Skiff? I wouldn't blame you guys for wanting a better one though. That was a step DOWN from the POTF2 version IMHO. I don't think I'd buy a new Jedi Luke unless Hasbro totally outdid themselves like they did with the new Bespin Luke (awesome figure, awesome accessories, I was totally impressed). I'm one who will always prefer minor characters from the Cantina and Jabba's palace so as long as a new Jedi Luke doesn't take the place of one of them I'd say make him.
Piett

Darth Evil
08-25-2002, 06:18 AM
Everyone (as far as I know) liked Bespin Luke, so if Hasbro did a new Jedi Luke to that standard (without the gimmick), we'd all be happy.

patchiswelsh
08-25-2002, 08:31 AM
Lukes cool but there are so many
Hasbro need to sit down and think long and hard to make the ultimate luke
or bring out a luke from each movie all after each other

Sinister Lord
08-25-2002, 09:12 AM
As AdmiralPiett said, we got a new Jedi Knight Luke not too long ago... the one that came with the Tatooine Skiff. I think that was the most recent. I think there have been six versions of him in all in the POTF2 line...

Orange carded Jedi Luke (later reissued on green card)
Carded Power F/X Jedi Luke
Cinema Scene (Final Jedi Duel) w/ Jedi Luke
Complete Galaxy Tatooine w/Jedi Luke
Rancor w/ Jedi Luke
Tattoine Skiff w/ Jedi Luke

I've already got a lot of Jedi Knight Luke's in my collection.... I'd rather have a new Dagobah Luke... they only ever made one version of him, and that was waaaaaaaay back when they were still doing orange cards!

sith_killer_99
08-25-2002, 09:34 AM
WOW, the Tatooine Skiff Luke???

Was it even worth it? I don't know, I never have found a Skiff.:cry:

In any event, yes, Hasbro has made several Jedi Lukes, POTF2 OC/GC Jedi Luke, Tatooine Skiff Exclusive Jedi Luke, Complete Galaxy Jedi Luke, Final Duel Cinema Scene Jedi Luke, Creature Assortment Rancor and Jedi Luke.

Don't get me wrong, the original POTF2 Jedi Luke was good for it's time. But IF the Tatooine Skiff Jedi Luke is as bad as the others (Cinema Scene, Complete Galaxy, Creature Assortment) THEN we REALLY need a new one.

Something on par with the new Bespin Luke (minus the gimmicks).

Just my 2 cents.

Sinister Lord
08-25-2002, 09:42 AM
I just think if they are going to do a new Luke, then the Dagobah one should on top of the list... he has only been released once! Jedi Luke got released six times already. Dagobah Luke should obviously get preference on the "resulpt/reissue" list.

The other advantage in doing a Dagobah version is that it would give Hasbro another opportunity to pack in another Yoda (sculpted in the backpack). With Yoda being so popular right now, I think it would make sense as a selling point for the figure.

sith_killer_99
08-25-2002, 10:08 AM
Technically the POTJ Dagobah Spirit Vader IS a Dagobah Luke. lol JK;)

Seriously, I agree, we probably need a Dagobah Luke before we need another Jedi Knight Luke.

Howabout a compromise, we get a Luke, dressed in Dagobah Fatigues, but we call him....Luke Jedi Training Gear. lol

Like the Qui-Gon Jedi Training Gear or Obi-Wan Jedi Training Gear.

Of course, that would probably go over like a led zepplin.

Sinister Lord
08-25-2002, 10:27 AM
The one thing I will say about the idea of a new Jedi Knight Luke... IF they do one... I hope they would include and Endor poncho and Endor Rebel helmet. That way, if you want you can turn Jedi Knight Luke into an Endor Luke easily enough. So far there have only been two versions of Endor Luke and both had the helmet non-removable. So perhaps a compromise would be to make a combination Endor/Jedi Knight Luke which you could have either way depending on what accessories you put on him.

Lord Tenebrous
08-25-2002, 01:45 PM
I don't know why I forgot to mention this last night, but there is a
Jedi Luke (http://www.hallmark.com/hmk/Website/Shopping/sh_productdetail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0645132427.1 030297130@@@@&BV_EngineID=hadcfcejelkhbedcfchcgk.0&fromPage=/Website/Shopping/is_prod_catalog_inc.jsp&CONTENT_KEY=QX8206&CONTENT_TYPE=PRODUCT&type=prod&oid=125642&suboid=-107556) ornament from Hallmark out currently. The ornaments from last year are currently 75% discounted. So if you want a nice luke collectible for a duel scene, it's a decent investment ($15), but you can also risk waiting until a year from now, it'll cost about $4.

Adam
08-25-2002, 02:22 PM
I think some of you might be forgetting that there are two verions of Jedi Luke out there. The Jedi Knight Luke from POTF2 was from Jabba's Palace. Then there is Final Duel Luke, of which unless I'm mistaken, we only have two figures of. The deluxe fx, and Cinema Scene figures. So which one would you want resculpted more? I'd like to see both myself, but if I had to choose one, it would be Final Duel. Pack in binders, his lightsaber, and a packin from the throne room and I would be very happy with that figure.

Bobajames
08-25-2002, 02:54 PM
that's what i was talking about was the final duel one. and btw, does power fx luke even count? he looked like a teenage mutant ninja turtle w/o the cape!! Horrible!

KingOfSting
08-25-2002, 03:11 PM
heres a solution...market luke skywalker jedi knight from jabbas palace, and then re-sculpt endor luke with a removable helmet and poncho and bada bing theres ur final duel jedi luke

Sidiously Darth
08-25-2002, 03:53 PM
I tend to agree with the sentiment brought up by a few others... Have new figures, want different figures, Get different figures, now want other figures. It's like trying to satisfy a spoiled child... I want this, I want that but not happy when they get this and that b/c they want more.

It's time for some people to take a breather and just relax. I'm not currently caught up with the new deluxe or TA Ani & new Maul but I'm not complaining. They'll be around for a while.:D

Mar10Sir
08-27-2002, 09:43 PM
I don't really think we need a new Jedi Knight Luke. I think the first one they (Hasbro) did has been the best so far. I mean... after the Rancor, Complete Galaxy Tatooine and Skiff Luke, do we need yet another one?

The original POTF2 Jedi Knight Luke resembled more the ESB Mark Hamill (after his surgery from that old accident). On the other Lukes they used the face sculpt of the Flashback Luke and the expression on his face was quite lame (seemed a bit scared, I think).

What would make us want yet another Luke Jedi? A swappable normal/gloved hand? Beter articulation? Magnetic "Jedi force" action? A Luke Jedi with his cloak hood down (as when he says to Jabba "You will bring Captain Solo and the Wookie to me")? I dunno'... I just can't think of any way to make him interesting?

corporal AMF
08-27-2002, 11:46 PM
I want a new luke..........!!!!!!!! period

Janzeke Khan
08-28-2002, 02:15 AM
The problem with to many lukes is that they allways seem to make the EPS 4 Luke. Every once in a while they need to make a new Luke in a new costume, I mean all the Novel's and EU he's been in he has to have like 60 costumes.

The Overlord Returns
08-28-2002, 01:14 PM
Perhaps a good Idea on this Jedi Luke conundrum would be to make him a special "500th" figure or something. This way he could
be some sort of ultimate luke for us...

Jargo
08-28-2002, 05:56 PM
That also means he costs more. How about they just continue with the basic carded figures and keep them cheap and cheerful.

The Overlord Returns
08-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Well, like I said, this could be a sort of ultimate jedi luke. Give him all the accesories he would need. Bone, skull, lightsaber, endor gear. Give loads of articulation, and a speeder maybe?

Then you'd have to resolve the early outfit and the final duel conundrum, not sure how to go about that in the best way...

Darth_Billy_Jack
08-30-2002, 01:22 AM
well.. i agree that we need a new jedi luke. the first potf jedi luke was probably the best of the "buff" luke sculpts, but the following ones, comp. galaxy, final duel(i only got that one for the seated emperor), rancor and skiff all sucked. they were poorly posed, and all looked wimpy. the ceremonial luke and first luke bespin figs were excellent, however. my favorite of favorite lukes is probably the EU dark empire luke tho.

for a new luke jedi we need a well articulated,neutrally posed luke, w/o the tatooine vest. give him interchangable gloved and non gloved hands, and a lightsaber and no action features and youve got a winner.
they could even stretch it out by making a similar sculp of jabbas palace luke, w/ the vest thingy and a cloak, and bam! youve got 2 much needed luke figs with out bringing back the 90th version of white tatooine/ karate outfit luke.