PDA

View Full Version : why do the destroyer droids in the gungan battle not have their sheilds up??

ki-adi mundi's bro
10-22-2001, 07:10 AM
i noticed this the 1st time i saw the movie, but wasn't careing about that. anyone else notice this??

JEDIpartner
10-22-2001, 09:35 AM
Yeah... I noticed that the first time I saw it....

here are a couple other things I noticed the first time around...

1) When Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are talking before Qui-Gon returns for Anakin, the print is flipped- which causes Obi-Wan's braid to be on his left... not his right.

2) When JarJar meets Padme, while she is cleaning up Artoo, the tail end of the scene is, again, flipped so it appears that Padme is looking to her right and Artoo is looking to his left to look at JarJar... notice Artoo's "facial" details are reversed (the holoprojector is now on his right).

3) If the Trade Federation has cut all communications from Naboo and TO Naboo, why is it that Sio Bibble was able to reach the Royal Starship with his "you must help us" message. Is this why Obi-Wan knew the message was sent to establish a trace?

Eternal Padawan
10-22-2001, 11:19 AM
Lucas actually brings up the reversed braid in the commentary. He was planning on reversing that shot during editing, so he made Ewan flip his braid over, but then decided against it. So he "outsmarted" himself.

There's also a shot during the podrace where the animators forgot to but Sebulba in his pod and somebody (Scott Squires?) brings it up during the commentary.

It's cool the film makers bring their own goofs to light. I can't wait for the Episode IV commentary with all the goofs in that film.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-22-2001, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
If the Trade Federation has cut all communications from Naboo and TO Naboo, why is it that Sio Bibble was able to reach the Royal Starship with his "you must help us" message. Is this why Obi-Wan knew the message was sent to establish a trace?

It was a ruse to try to locate the Queen's ship. They just either lowered the jamming waves temporarily from Naboo or sent the message from somewhere else.

I think the reason for no shields was just a plot device. That scene was only in there for comic 'relief' to show JJ shooting the droideka with the BD on his foot. It wouldn't work with the shields up.

JediTricks
10-23-2001, 06:04 AM
I believe the Destroyer Droids can only raise shields when standing still.

GNT
10-23-2001, 06:28 AM
Why send so many Battle Droids to the planet? When the federation could have sent over 1000 Destoyers?

Also notice in the final scenes of Darth Maul,he had his lightsaber on all the time,when obi Wan jumped over him it was off and when he fell down the saft I believe it was on(?) This changes from different shots.

JEDIpartner
10-23-2001, 11:29 AM
Gawd!!! I LIVE for continuity errors!!!

:D

Tycho
10-23-2001, 02:39 PM
The destroyers turn their shields on once they are fully transformed.

JarJar "shot" that one before it had completely unfolded. This is the only example of a destroyer going down like that in the film.

I don't know if I missed Gungan weapons affecting them differently, but Anakin's N-1 fighter was too powerful for the droids small shields in that particular case.

Can't believe I had to explain that...