PDA

View Full Version : Was the Episode I DVD worth the wait?

SirSteve
10-22-2001, 10:08 AM
Was the Episode I DVD worth the wait?

Let's talk about the choice you voted on!

chewbacca71
10-22-2001, 10:53 AM
It was definetly worth it!! This is the reason I buy DVD's. How could you not love all the extra stuff?! I wish "The Beginning" was longer. I haven't watch the movie yet with the commentary on, but I know that is just going to be great also.

Eternal Padawan
10-22-2001, 11:08 AM
I thought "the Beginning" could be longer too, but then I realized that between "the Beginning", the 12 web docs, the 5 other docs, the deleted scene doc, the animatics docs, and the trailers, commercials, and hidden features, you got about four hours of stuff to watch. That's not even counting the commentary on disc 1. I haven't even watched the movie yet and I'm as pleased as a plum! This definitely rates a 10 in my DVD collection.

Who is the one cracker who bought it to put in his collection and never open? I pray that was a joke.:(

JEDIpartner
10-22-2001, 12:11 PM
I like it...! VERY MUCH!!!!

I even like it in Spanish and I don't even SPEAK Spanish! I should have gotten the Canadian version so I could have it in French... which I DO speak! ;)

grant
10-22-2001, 12:12 PM
I have a major problem with the episode 1 DVD. As it is the first DVD I've bought , i know for a fact that no other DVD will live up to this volume of quality. I watched all of it on the first day and apparently there is still hidden stuff. I've rented many other DVD's since andnone of them have a third as many extras as the phantom menace. You cant complain about the disk set unless you were exspecting the answers to the universe inside.

I hope the other trilogy DVD'd have Special Edition on/off modes.

Rusty9073
10-22-2001, 01:58 PM
The Episode 1 DVD is OK...
What would REALLY REALLY be worth the wait is "The Phantom Edit" on DVD!!!! If they ever make a high quality copy of the edit on DVD....I will be a happy man!!!

Pendo
10-22-2001, 04:47 PM
OF COURSE THE DVD WAS WORTH THE WAIT - IT IS BRILLIANT!!!
I am a little disapointed with the UK version (Region 2) though because I think the "Rick McCallum swearing his head off" scene was cut completley because I can't seem to find it anywhere. It would be fun to see that. Also there could have been a few more Easter Eggs, but appart from that, it is the best DVD in my collection.

PENDO!

derek
10-22-2001, 05:53 PM
grant,

this dvd is very good, but there are others, like the fight club dvd, which can easily stand toe to toe with the episode 1 dvd. and the fight club dvd is packeged better. with all that's here, i was hoping for more. the final saber battle took two weeks to film. i would of loved to of seen a 30 min unedited version. and i wish they would of covered when and why neeson and mc gregor had stand-in's in some of the saber scenes.

there were deleted scenes like the qui-gon/ maul saber fight on the queens starship i would of liked to see. i guarantee you we'll get another version of this dvd in the future.

and almost all of maul's dialogue was cut. that could of been in there.

master jedi
10-22-2001, 08:02 PM
This is the best DVD I've ever seen.

GNT
10-23-2001, 05:48 AM
I wish I could take back DVD's got my vote :)

So many Cut scenes they didn't put into the film :(

bigbarada
10-23-2001, 09:16 PM
I can't really vote on this topic since I have yet to see the DVD, but I will take the extra post.:)

master jedi
10-23-2001, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by GNT

So many Cut scenes they didn't put into the film :(
So you're saying you actually wanted the extra Jira scene put in?

GNT
11-04-2001, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by master jedi

So you're saying you actually wanted the extra Jira scene put in?

What I meant is that they didn't put all the deleted scens I wanted to see onto the DVD!

EG: R2-D2 using his booster rockets :)

master jedi
11-04-2001, 06:57 PM
Yeah I see what you mean. I wish they only put the last half of the cut Jira scene in with the probe droid.

I really wanted to see the Bail Antillies scene.

bigbarada
11-04-2001, 08:27 PM
Definitely worth the wait! I loved The Beginning documentary and seeing all the cut scenes. I'm especially glad GL reintegrated the Air Taxi and extra podrace scenes into the film itself!

Dferguson
11-04-2001, 09:20 PM
alright the couple of people who voted never to open the DVD
that has to be funny or someone is joking:D :p

Magnolia-Fan
11-17-2001, 07:21 PM
It was not worth the wait.

I should NEVER have to wait a year and a half after a video release to get a DVD.

I would have easily bought a "bare bones" movie only DVD, then turned around and bought a "special edition". But waiting a year and a half for this "ultimate" DVD is rediculous.

T2 and Fight Club had just as much, if not more supplemental material. Nobody hesitated to produce a special Fight Club DVD, and there was a "bare bones" T2 disc out before the ultimate edition was released.

I think Lucasfilm really botched this one. I should be happy, because it really is a nice disc, but instead I feel jaded.

Wolfwood319
11-17-2001, 10:09 PM
It was a very good DVD, but it wasn't outstanding. It was pretty much what I expected, but nothing that you can't get on other good DVDs. No DTS and they didn't put in all the deleted footage.

Its nice to know that GL and Co. can put this much effort into a DVD, but it would've been nicer to get a 25th Anniv ANH on DVD.

All in all a good DVD, but definately not the best. I still keep that spot for T2 UE, Fight Club, or Mallrats.

bigbarada
11-17-2001, 11:21 PM
This is definitely the best DVD I own!!!! Of course it is also the only DVD I own, but that's not important.;)

I don't even own a DVD player.:sur:

JimJamBonds
03-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Yeah I think E I dvd was great, tons of behind the scenes type stuff. The best of course is The Ricker with his "This is f'ing awesome" talk which as I've pointed out in the past was f'ing awesome.

pbarnard
03-05-2007, 07:34 PM
At the time, it had the best special features, easter eggs and what not. The problem is that within a calendar year we got the extended edition of LoTR: Fellowship of the Ring which took everything and went a step further.

I think that people whining that they wanted it now, it got so loud and annoying to Lucas that he couldn't continue to work on Clones, which is saying something, so that he could've been devoting his entire time to developing story and what not, not being the control freak he is and having his finger prints on the DVD. The same thing with the original trilogy etc.

2-1B
03-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah I see what you mean. I wish they only put the last half of the cut Jira scene in with the probe droid.

I really wanted to see the Bail Antillies scene.

Don't worry, you'll get to see Bail in the next two episodes.