PDA

View Full Version : Full Scale Props at Disney-MGM

ACPin
08-27-2002, 08:43 AM
I took some pics of two full-scale props at the Disney-MGM theme park during our summer vacation. The only way that you could see them was to ride the Backlot tour and it's what they call the graveyard of movie vehicles. There were also vehicles from Indiana Jones like the tank and the flying wing.

IIRC, the tour guide mentioned that these vehicles were the ACTUAL props used in the movies. Take a look and judge for yourself.

Disney Backlot Tour (http://acpinimages.homestead.com/DisneyBacklotTour.html)

billfremore
08-27-2002, 09:21 AM
Where was this? I was there in April and I never saw it.
How did you get to see this stuff?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-27-2002, 04:54 PM
It's on a cool ride that takes place after 4 dumb people are chosen to make a little boat movie. There's some cool stuff there. I also like the big AT-AT outside of Star Tours, and there's a speederbike prop (not real) that is in front of a picture of Endor that you can sit on and make a good photo op.

ACPin
08-28-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by billfremore
Where was this? I was there in April and I never saw it.
How did you get to see this stuff?
As Mr. JabbaJohnL mentioned, it was on the Studio backlot tour which starts just behind the Honey, I Shrunk The Kids set. I totally missed taking the pics the first time because I was sitting on the left side of the trolley. Good thing it came back the same way so that I was able to take the pics on the way back. At least I was ready with the camera and had to shoot while the trolley was moving at 15 mph.

billfremore
08-28-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
It's on a cool ride that takes place after 4 dumb people are chosen to make a little boat movie. There's some cool stuff there. I also like the big AT-AT outside of Star Tours, and there's a speederbike prop (not real) that is in front of a picture of Endor that you can sit on and make a good photo op.

I saw that and got a fine picture of me sitting on it.
Unfortunately I left my scout trooper armor in my other pants that day

Master Goeweins
09-03-2002, 02:04 PM
MGM has several props on hand that they rotate on occasion. They have always had the ROTJ skiff and the ESB Snow Speeder out somewhere. For a time, it was located below the head of the AT-AT for Star Tours in a little garden to the side. They were recently moved to the boneyard on the Backlot Tour.

However, they also have three props that only make appearances from time to time. They have two of the real speederbike props. They are life size. When they are displayed, they are showcased in am airconditioned room that you must go through when you exit the Backlot Trams. (For those of you recently there, it is currently housing a display of famous dresses worn in different films.) They have had them on the floor, and hanging from the ceiling at different times.
The coolest prop in my book though, is the game table from the Millenium Falcon in a glass case. It is life size, adn just too cool looking. This has been showcased in two different locations. In the same room as the Speeder Bikes, and then in the walkthrough area before The Great Movie Ride in the Chinese Mann Theatre. This is where I last saw it.
My only complaint is that the two treasures, the Skiff and the Snow Speeder, are left to the weather and are beginning to show it. They are neat to come across, but they obviously won't last forever this way.

I will try to dig up some photos of these props and post them here....

Jedi Master Silas
09-15-2002, 05:35 PM
Dang we were there last year during SW weekends with Mayhew & Fisher...were they there at that time??? If they were I could kick myself :(

Master Goeweins
09-16-2002, 11:41 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the snowspeeder and the skiff were in the previously mentioned "Boneyard." And they did have the two speederbikes on display. Here is a picture of me at the Star Wars weekends 2001 in front of the speederbikes. They were in the building directly as you get of the backlot tram, in fact you can see the tram through the window in back. Sorry the speeders are somewhat covered, but my ugly mug ended up getting in the way!
The two bikes were side by side, if you look at the nose you can see them both.

Exhaust Port
09-17-2002, 08:57 AM
The Snowspeeder looks awesome!!!!

Darth Kirk
02-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Where could one go about purchasing anything large scale.. Its soo hard.. Back a few months back when FAO Shwartz was closing, they had a gigantic 20 foot by 30 foot AT-AT in the store, when I asked if I could buy it, they said it was already sold.. Which, I really kicked myself on.. Though now that I think about it, the only place I could have put it was in front of my house.. That would be sooo cool, but would have prob. damaged the cool relic.. Help me find a giant sith speeder someone.. lol

Kidhuman
02-12-2004, 10:32 PM
The skiff looks to small to have had all those people on it. Probaly just the pic though. Maybe when I get a chance to go to Disney Comcast world, I can check em out for myself

bobafrett
02-12-2004, 11:39 PM
I went on the Disney/Comcast, MGM backlot tour, and never saw these. Maybe AC managed to get back there and has them in his basement.