PDA

View Full Version : What New Storyline From Dark Horse Would Get You To Try Reading The Comics?

Tycho
08-27-2002, 11:55 AM
Only 27% of our site's visitors are into Star Wars Comics, (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10066) * we are asking why?

More importantly, we are asking you what kind of story could you not resist?

What would prompt you to give new Star Wars comics a brand new try?

(*332/1250 = .265)

Rogue II
08-27-2002, 01:01 PM
I glance thru the comics when I'm at the book store, I won't get into reading the comics for a couple reasons. Time is the biggest reason. I stick to the novels, although the comics seem pretty cool.

Vortex
08-27-2002, 01:19 PM
I haven't missed a comic series yet. Don't plan on it either. Its a great medium and I love how they can explore small aspects and just fill in small bits and pieces in ways the novels can't.

They help to open up the star wars universe a little more.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-27-2002, 01:26 PM
I'm not knocking the comics per se, I just feel that for the $ you don't get a whole lot. I may pick one up at WM and peruse it for a couple of minutes, but I wouldn't ever buy one because the price is just too high for a few pages of static cartoons surrounded by numerous ads.

I'm already into the toys and the TCG; adding the comics would would be too much SW for me.

Pendo
08-27-2002, 01:33 PM
I've voted for Tales from the height of the Empire. I think this is the most interesting part of the saga and would like to read more...or just read :rolleyes:. Comics aren't really as big here in the UK as they are anywhere else. You still see them around in some newsagents and a few Forbiden Planet shops, etc. but we don't have nearly as much as we should.

CWEED4
08-27-2002, 03:43 PM
I no longer read the comics because the writing was just boring. It wouldn't matter what story arc the comics tried to develop if the writing was better. Also, $3 per comic seems high for something you can finish reading in 5 minutes.

OC47150
08-27-2002, 03:56 PM
I didn't vote for a specific genre because I like several different ones.

I've never been that crazy about the First Jedi Order but I do have the comics. I'd like to see more storylines from the Clone Wars and the heighth of the Empire. I also enjoy the Qui-Gon and Obi Wan/pre-PM adventures, too.

The New Jedi Order would be good, too.

FYI -- I try to purchase my comics from local comic shops but if I don't get there (and I haven't lately) I've gotten them from Waldenbooks. They're normally slower so the comics stay on the racks a little bit longer.

P.S. -- if anyone from Dark Horse reads this, I love the Infinities storylines. I can't wait to see what you have in store for ROJ!!

drizzit
08-27-2002, 04:32 PM
The cost for a few pages of reading isn't worth it. With the cost of the toys, I would have to get a second job to keep up with the comics too. Its not only the Star Wars comics, but comics in general.

LusiferSam
08-27-2002, 05:21 PM
I don't read the comics because I find it to hard to keep up with all the different lines and I'm happy with the ones I have. But if I were going to read them I want Clone Wars or Empire(which I voted for) story lines. Early Jedi might be fine. But there is no way I'd read anything in New Jedi Order. The whole preemies is crape. And of all the crape that's out there this is the worst or the worst (and that pretty bad).

Turbowars
08-27-2002, 06:08 PM
I wont buy comics, because I can't read. JK! I have never been interested in any comics. I don't hate them nor like them, I just don't care for them. Besides I don't need another collection, I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Figureman2
08-27-2002, 06:56 PM
I don't think I could really get into comics... I think comics in general are a little awkward for my tastes. The placement of pictures, text... I end up missing things and not understaning the overall picture. I prefer reading regular books because they clarify a lot of things that you just can't have in comics, so I'll stick with the regular novels... I'm sure the comics are awesome, but they're just not for me.

Darth Tornado
08-27-2002, 07:58 PM
I dont bother with the star wars comics as I am collecting other comics (the new Transformers and GI Joe comics are excellent!!!) and I use the money that I have to buy star wars toys instead of the comics which I think is a better choice( I dont have unlimited funds). Also the only thing I take as canon is the movies anything else doesnt interest me.

DrewDewce
08-27-2002, 08:19 PM
I'm just recently getting into the Dark Horse SW comics. I collected the old Marvel series from ESB thru issue #100, plus I went back and found all of the previous issues (This has obviously been many years ago now). It was the Star Wars comic book that got me interested in Marvel comics, and then DC, Comico, Dark Horse, image, Valiant, among others.

A lot of times, it's the art that has put me off the Dark Horse books. The first DH offering I bought was the Dark Empire TPB (when it came out, I think) that I always heard such great things about. I didn't care for the interior art, but the covers were stunning. The story was okay, but I didn't buy another one until recently.

Most of what I've gotten has been hit and miss. The Chewbacca mini was good, but the Union mini was almost unreadable from a story and art perspective).

The new "Empire" book has me really intrigued tho, and I will most likely be checking out the first story arc on that.

Mar10Sir
08-27-2002, 08:25 PM
Well... for me the lack of interest comes from the far-fetchedness of some stories. I dunno'... some stories just seem too hyped up and far from the "feel" of the classic (movie) stories. The old story about Boba Fett's grudge against Han Solo and Lando Calrissian seems silly to me, for one.
Also, I don't waste time getting into something that'll fall apart when a new movie comes out; for example: the stories of the Sith as this huge order spanning generations and great distances when the Episode I novelization gives the true (short, yes) background of the Sith order, which didn't last too long.

Another example is the Boba Fett / Jester Mareel stories. This all fell apart when AOTC came out (though what Dark Horse did with "Open Seasons" was cool). Perhaps if they do interesting stories about lesser characters (like Aurra Sing -which I know they did- or Jabba and his entourage, etc.) that aren't too exaggerated I might look into the comics a bit more.

roguematt7
08-27-2002, 09:28 PM
I have all the Star Wars comics, from the Marvel series through the current Dark Horse comics. It's gotten to the point where I only collect them out of habit. The writing, with the exception of some of the Star Wars Tales stories, is sub par to say the least. The over-hyped Vader vs. Maul story was probably the lowest point I've seen a Star Wars comic sink. The art is usually on the same level as the writing, a better part of the time it seems less like a comic book and more like something you'd see in a Sunday morning newspaper. The reason people don't bother with the comics is that, for the most part, they're pretty bad.

JediTricks
08-27-2002, 11:32 PM
I don't really care for Dark Horse's writing or art, but the main reasons I voted "I won't get into..." are lack of value (you don't get enough content for the money you are dropping) and slow turnaround (waiting a whole month for 17 more pages of the story at $4 an issue doesn't work for me).

It's like the trading cards, they used to be a fair price and you got a good set of cards in one pack, but then they decided that it was more important to jack the price of the cards way up with higher-cost flashy materials like UV coating and foil stamping while thinning the pack out and add a bunch of hard-to-acquire chase cards. It feels like the cards and the comics are more about how incredible the paper they're printed on is than about how much content the buyer gets to enjoy for the money.

karinations
08-28-2002, 02:10 AM
I don't like the way it's done.
A billion little min-series of second tier characters for $3 an issue consisting of 10 pages of story and tons of ads.Make a Star Wars ongoing set in the time of the Empire(the good stuff)and maybe another anthology series that can tell tales from any era and i would start buying. Or something like that.
Not this like ..GREEDO:The Hal Shutta Factor
4 issue mini series on glossy stock and hard cover for $3.95.
Thrill to the early adventures of Greedo BEFORE he was shot in the chest by Han Solo in a stunning tale that could be written around any other character in any other genre and featuring blaster battles and a double cross!
It's not 1992 anymore people don't want ANYTHING Star Wars they want good stuff. Not a Plo-Koon mini-series.
I want an ongoing set in a time we care about with characters we care about.(Empire height) and then an anthology maybe for the adventures of Dexter Jetster (groan..)

-V-

jedibear
08-28-2002, 02:40 AM
wow.....such negativity surrounding this topic....ouch!

I'll be a dissenting voice her....I LIKE the comics....not every one of them, but some of ongoing series has been quite good.

Jan Duursema is my favorite SW artist....she captures a great cinematic feel in her panels and usually the stories she illustrates are on par with the art.

I've enjoyed the prequel-era storytelling for the most part....although it kinda fell into a rut with "Infinitie's End"...the whole "witches" thing just didn't feel SW to me. And yes, there have been some MAJOR abominations like 'Starcrash" which never should have seen the light of day.

But strong entries like "The Hunt for Aurra Sing" & the current "Rite of Passage" do add another interesting facet to the SW canon....

Some folks mentioned they preferred the books over comics.....sorry, but for me, the "New Jedi Order" is running on empty....it's the same book over & over again. I was so relieved to read that next year we're getting a novel with classic characters that does NOT take place in the NJO timeline...

If you're following this thread as a newbie to the comics.....go to your local chain bookstore & see if they have any of the collections to thumb through.....something mat catch your eye...

2-1B
08-28-2002, 04:34 AM
I hate comics, always have.
I tried to get into them as a kid and later on as an adult but it just doesn't interest me. I don't like the genre at all, so there's nothing they could do to get me to buy/read.

Bib Forlobster
08-29-2002, 07:19 AM
I was a huge comics fan in the earlier days, but quickly got turned off when the medium changed from being about entertainment to just gouging people for their money. In the 70's and 80's (I'm dating myself) we had interesting storylines and quality art at a fair price. In the 90's it became more about gimmicks, flashy holographic high gloss covers, indestructible paper and tons of ads. For the high prices charged these days you barely get any story out of the comic. Eventually, it just turned me off to the whole genre.

Lately, however I have been picking up the Graphic Novel collections of "Star Wars Tales". I have enjoyed these and recommend them to any Star Wars fan who just wants entertaining stories. Some of the short stories are in a "What If?" type format and most of the art is very good. You also get more for your money in this format because it's just the stories. No ads or gimmicks. They include all the cover art from the original issues and the collection itself has a new piece of artwork for it's cover. You also don't have to worry about not making it to the comic store every month and possibly missing an issue.

I will probably purchase more "Star Wars" graphic novels in the future, but will probably never go back to the issue by issue format. It's just not worth it.

As far as storylines go, I usually enjoy the short stories about background characters and what they were doing while the main action of the movies was going on. I would very much like to see a comic adaptation of "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, Jabba's palace and Bounty Hunters" novels. I think these type of stories would be perfect in comic form.

dr_evazan22
08-29-2002, 01:18 PM
Overall, I like comics in general, but I agree w/ what a lot of you are saying about the quality of the writing and art.

Back in '91 or so, when "Heir to the Empire" and "Dark Empire" came out I was so excited, I was like a pig in s..., well, a pig in SLOP.
I looked at those great DE covers, then opened the book. I finaly got to recognize the characters and grew used to Cam's style. Another great part was the text area at the end that expanded upon the storyline.

I like to read about not just WHAT happens, but WHY did it happen, and what difficult decisions did the characters have to make (what was the internal conflict).
Darth Vader/Ani is such an interesting character b/c we want to know what made him do the things he will end up doing. The internal conflicts Luke went thru on Dagobah to walk into a trap to save Han and again (in ROTJ) when he saw how close he was to the Dark Side after defeating DV.
In the comics, there was Ulic Qel Droma (sp?) attempting to infiltrate the Krath. The whole Sith War was crap, but afterward in Redemption the tale of ulic's return to the Force was well written. Redemption is a personal fav.

DH's ongoing SW comic started out well w/ Prelude to Rebellion" and "Outlander", but the rest of the series hasn't lived up to that, w/ a few exceptions that others have mentioned.

If any of you like the same type of writing/story, I would highly recommend the book "Autobiography of Malcolm X" as told to Alex Haley (of Roots fame).

Posted below is a photo from C2 of The Clone Emperor.

OC47150
08-29-2002, 01:32 PM
OT -- but wasn't that guy cool looking? I got a couple of good pix of him.

I've noticed I've become choosier on which comics I buy. If it's a lame storyline, I won't buy it, or wait until it's in the bargain bin six months from now.

DarkArtist
08-30-2002, 04:13 PM
I personally love reading the SW Comics. It a great source for EU Characters and since I am an artist I love to see the new and upcoming work of some of my fellow artists. I especially love the INFINITIES series. It's about time someone began changing the way we always viewed STAR WARS. But the vote to choose is hard. I like everything Star Wars so to decide whether one story arc is better than the other is difficult. Dark Horse should focus on all aspects of that galaxy far far away, we need more story of the past future and of other races, planets, etc that are with the Star Wars Galaxy.

bigbarada
08-31-2002, 01:58 AM
I like comics but not Star Wars comics. Not saying that I would never pick up a series if it appealed to me. However, Tycho's choices were pretty "blah" to me and there was no "Other Storyline (please specify)" choice so I had to choose the "I won't get into reading the comics" choice.

Now, if DK was to make a Barada or Bossk mini-series and not try to shoehorn it into the incoherent mess that is Star Wars continuity (or tie it in to 50 other mini-series going on at the same time), then count me in. Until then, though, I will continue to spend my time looking through the superhero and independent books.

rynobot
08-31-2002, 05:02 AM
I voted Clone Wars, becuase we have main charcters that partcipated in them but we have no details from the war.

dr_evazan22
08-31-2002, 10:23 PM
I'd like to learn what the Jedi have been doing for the past 10 years. They've known of the existence of the Sith, what have they been doing about it?

In AOTC almost every time we see Yoda (in the first half) he is meditating or trying to get in touch w/ the Force. Does he have any suspicion of Palp's at all?

One of the stories that I like from SW Tales was a 2 parter from ish 1 and 2. It had DV hunting down the Dark Woman. I liked the way that was drawn and written.

scruffziller
09-01-2002, 09:32 AM
I am really not a reader, I don't like to read, I can't concentrate long enough. I basically have to force myself to start a book, then if it grabs my attention, I can't put it down. I do like the novels put into audiobook though.

roguematt7
09-04-2002, 03:20 AM
I take back what I said about all Star Wars comics being fairly worthless, I think the Infinities series is quite interesting as a "What If?" style look at the SW Universe. The art has been very good and the writing, though crammed to fit the 4 issues given to each limited series, is well done. The Star Wars Tales anthology series also has its moments like when Obi Wan tells Han about his encounter with Aurra Sing while still under the tutelage of Qui Gon and the wacky Pulp Fiction take off with Mace Windu and Yoda.

One thing I forgot to mention as a con to the comics is that until the last movie comes out, there is still the chance that things done in the comics will be done differently in the movies, making the comics obsolete. One example was the Boba Fett series "Enemy of the Empire" where the readers learn that Fett's helmet gets its dent in it during a battle with Darth Vader in which Fett is the victor. But in AotC, Jango's helmet gets a dent in it while being trampled by the Reek, which will probably be the helmet worn by Boba later on. There's no sense in buying comics if they can't keep their stories worked straight.

bigbarada
09-04-2002, 04:19 AM
I do enjoy Star Wars Tales, when I can afford an issue (I would prefer going back to the 4-color, newpaper-quality comics at under $1 each a truly great artist doesn't need all the flashy coloring and glossy paper to make an impression).

mahondo
09-04-2002, 09:18 PM
srwars comics are great in theory, i used to buy alot of the older dark horse issues like classsic starwars with art by al williamson and russ manning(rip),even though these were old newspaper reprints they were very "starwars" in feel. some of the newer stories have captured this but far too many have failed
i did enjoy rogue squadron and the zhan trilogy because these had characters that we alll know(of). once the writers start bringing in alll these eu characters 7000 years before anh it just doesn't seem like starwars anymore.plus most of the post zhan trilogy stuff is crapola.does anyone remember "empire's end"?

add to this exorbitant prices, tonnes of adds, dodgy writingand a lack of continuity with the movies and we're stranded on naegativity island...the re are goood things that have and could be done,ie trade paperbacks:zero ads,complete story great invention, and i know everyone deep down loves those shady background characters,the bounty hunters the denziens of chalmun's cantina alll of jabbas lowlife entourage they alll have they're own stories and most of them don't muck around tooo much with the continuity....then i would pay $6-$7ausdollars

OzOtter
10-04-2002, 03:16 PM
I don't buy SW comics anymore because I hated getting them home and being disappointed compared to the other titles I got (Usagi Yojimbo, Concrete (when it's available)). There are so many better comics.

The kind of stories I did enjoy however, were the short stories in Tales (which, unfortunately could be hit and miss), and the Infinities storyline ( I haven't picked up the Empire one though).

I guess I liked the stuff that stepped out of the continuity, so I wouldn't have voted for any of the above options.

jjreason
10-07-2002, 02:36 AM
I stopped buying them as well, around the time EpI dropped for whatever reason. Too many toys, too many other books to keep spending money. Oh, and I had a baby in 1999 as well - those eat up a few dollars here and there.

I was very happy initially with DH SW books - Rogue Squadron and Tales of the Jedi were all well written, cohesive books, as were the novel adaptations. Dark Empire was well received, and told an original tale. Not the best, but not too bad. I have more than half of the Marvel series, but an not actively pursuing the missing issues right now.

I would recommend to anyone Tales of the Jedi: Redemption. To me, that limited series felt like Star Wars more than any other short comic story I've seen. Very nicely done.

To get me back, they'd have to promote a series bridging ANH and ESB. Give me 12 issues including Han's run in with the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell, and Im in like Flynn.