PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man 2 info *SPOILERS*

Pendo
08-27-2002, 03:35 PM
I read somewhere that the bad guys in Spider-Man 2 will be Doctor Octopus and the Lizard. Does anyone know if this is true?
Has anyone got any more info on Spidey 2, and how many sequels has Tobey Maguire signed up for?

PENDO!

Beast
08-27-2002, 03:47 PM
Yep, Dr. Octopus and The Lizard are supposed to be the two main baddies in the new film. Hopefully Sam Raimi doesn't keep killing the bad guys in every movie. That hurt the batman franchise, and could hurt Spider-Man as well.

I heard that there will be a total of 3 movies, but there will be a longer wait in between Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3 because Sam Raimi is going to be doing a movie called "30 Days of Night". Venom is tagged as the likely villian for Spider-Man 3.

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=35422

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
08-27-2002, 04:01 PM
Thanx for the info JJB!!! Won't Harry be turning into the Hobgoblin (sp?) in one of the movies??? I was kinda hoping to see that, and the first film left it open for him getting his revenge on Spider-Man.

PENDO!

Lord Malakite
08-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
Thanx for the info JJB!!! Won't Harry be turning into the Hobgoblin (sp?) in one of the movies??? I was kinda hoping to see that, and the first film left it open for him getting his revenge on Spider-Man.

PENDO!

Actually, Harry would become the new Green Goblin if it is put into one of the sequels. Hobgoblin is a completely different character.

Pendo
08-27-2002, 04:07 PM
Ok, thanx Lord_Malakite :rolleyes:. Shows how much I read the comics :). Well I'll try again...

Won't Harry be turning into another Green Goblin in one of the movies???

:D

PENDO!

Beast
08-27-2002, 04:12 PM
He may, but I don't see it happening in the second movie. There is always a possibility for the third movie, since only Venom is likely so far. But Venom is such a complex charecter, that I would rather see him be the focus. They should continue the theme of him hating Spidey thru S-M 2 and 3 though. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
08-27-2002, 04:35 PM
Any thoughts on who would make a good Eddie Brock/Venom?

Beast
08-27-2002, 05:21 PM
I think Dolph Lungren would be a good choice. He's got the pysical size for Eddie/Venom. He may be a bit older, but they are going to have to revamp the charecter slightly since they can't do "Secret Wars" as a movie anyway. Hopefully they go with the origins from the animated series. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
08-27-2002, 07:40 PM
I can't remember where I saw it but I read an interview with Sam Raimi regarding the sequel's villians. He said he planned on having 2 villians in the second movie and that Doc. Octopus was not going to be one of them. His reasoning was that he is one of his personal favorite enemies of Spiderman and felt his story was to big to be sharing screen time with another villian. He also felt that the special effects would be more up to task by the time the 3rd movie comes around and hinted that the Lizard and the Vulture could possibly be in the 1st sequel. However we all know how plans change so anything could happen. :)

Beast
08-27-2002, 07:54 PM
Well, according to Avi Arad (Marvel Studios Head/ Spider-Man Executive Producer) and Kristen Dunst (Mary Jane Watson), Dr. Octopus will be in Spider-Man 2. This is from Cinescape.com. :)

SPIDER-MAN 2 screenwriters speak
It’s looking better and better for Spidey’s bad man
Dateline: Thursday, May 9, 2002

By: CHRISTOPHER ALLAN SMITH
By: News Editor
Source: EW

The screenwriters of SPIDER-MAN 2, among others, are talking about what fans can expect in the sequel to Marvel Comic’s biggest film to date.

The writers, replacing SPIDER-MAN’s David Koepp who decided not to return for a second outing, are Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, who also guide another superhero through his early years in TV’s SMALLVILLE.

"It's sort of a thrilling and daunting task to do the sequel,” Gough told ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY. "They've really hit one out of the park in the first movie, which is great, because it leaves you a lot of areas to explore in the sequel… ''I can't really talk about it, Avi Arad [President of Marvel Studios] will send the X-Men out to kill me!"

They did not kill Kirsten Dunst, who recently revealed Dr. Octopus and The Lizard would be appearing in SPIDER-MAN 2, which Arad all but confirmed a few days later.

Dr. Octopus coming to SPIDER-MAN 2?
Arad hints heavily at what’s to come
Dateline: Tuesday, May 7, 2002

By: CHRISTOPHER ALLAN SMITH
By: News Editor
Source: Chicago Sun Times

Marvel Studios head and SPIDER-MAN executive producer Avi Arad is all but revealing the villain in next year’s SPIDER-MAN 2.

"We're just starting to write the script, but Dr. Octopus might make a good villain,"Arad said to the CHICAGO SUN TIMES’ Cindy Pearlman. "I can't confirm anything except that we'll push it to the limits in the sequel. The sequel can't be the next chapter or a retread… The one disappointment is that (SPIDER-MAN writer) David Koepp our writer doesn't want to come back. He wants to do other things because he did nine drafts of this movie. So we've hired other writers who are working on it at this moment."

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
08-27-2002, 08:06 PM
well, this sounds like a good movie! is it due out 2005? i don't really keep track of any movie dates but SW.
h

Beast
08-27-2002, 08:10 PM
Hango, from what I have read it starts shooting in January and will be out sometime in 2004. So atleast E3 won't have Spider-Man 2 to compete with. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
08-27-2002, 08:55 PM
that's a good thing. maybe it will get a better box office total opening week/weekend! only 2.7 years!(roughly!) till E3
h

mrhat
08-27-2002, 09:09 PM
If sam only plans 3 movies, he according to my logic will be putting about 7 villans a movie, what about Black Cat (could be a minor villaness), that electro guy, the rhino, HOBGOBLIN, as long as venom gets made, ill be seeing that film... if not, i think not.

MikeAndTheBots
08-27-2002, 09:32 PM
Venom should stay out of the movies. In the animated series it took a while to introduce him (in the comics there was a major lapse between Peter getting away from the sybmiote and Venom's first appearance (McFarlane did Venom better than almost everyone else, I'm not a huge fan of the tounge and the original issues his tounge wasn't like that) so in the movies, if they did it in one movie, it would be nearly 3.5 hours. Unless Spidey gets the alien costume in a lab in the next one, gets rid of it, and then Eddie gets it at the end.

If anyone vin deasil should play Eddie, I will have to hurt you :D

JesusFreak
08-27-2002, 10:30 PM
I believe the release date is May 7th, 2004, somewhere around there.

Eternal Padawan
08-28-2002, 02:17 AM
As long as they continue to do $100 million + opening weekends, I think there will be more than two sequels to Spiderman. They might not have Raimi and Maguire, but there's no way Sony will sit on that kind of franchise money.

I see Robin Williams as Dr. Octopus. He turned down the Riddler because he wanted to do dark and Joel "Stab his eyes may he burn in Hades" Schumacher wanted to do camp. Maybe he's still itching for the comic book villain role.

I also hope the Spidey franchise doesn't fall into the multiple villains trap that the Bat franchise suffered with.

It's also a fond wish/pet peeve of mine that they don't simply call the next one Spider-Man 2.

ARRRGHH! :mad: What about The Amazing Spider-Man, or The Spectacular Spider-Man, or the Web of Spider-Man??

ANYTHING except slapping a 2 or a II on the name!! Gads I hate that with a passion!ROLLO!

Beast
08-28-2002, 02:30 AM
It's better then some of the Batman movie sequel titles. But they could go with calling it "Spider-Man II:. And then give it some intresting title as a secondary title. Sam Raimi has done that before, with Evil Dead. "Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn". So it could work, if they come up with a decent name. :)

Spider-Man II: Attack of the Octopus ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

smurfvader
08-28-2002, 05:43 PM
There are 2 reasons why you probably won't be seeing Venom in the Spidey films. First Sam Raimi was interviewed in Cinescape and said (basically) that he doesn't like the character. The second reason is that I remember reading somewhere that another studio bought the rights to produce a Venom movie.
It's been awhile since I've seen the cartoon, so could someone tell me how they introduced the Symbiont/Black costume/Venom, I don't remember.

JIm

Beast
08-28-2002, 05:55 PM
Actually, the rights to do a Venom movie did belong to New Line until last year when they reverted back to Marvel. So all Warner has to do is pick up the Venom license. But there are plenty of other intresting charecters that they could include, if they don't go with Venom. BTW, here's the Alien Costume 3-parter Episode Synopsis from http://www.pazsaz.com/

Spider-Man: The Alien Costume, Part 1
Story by Avi Arad & Stan Lee; Teleplay by Stan Berkowitz, Len Wein, Meg Mclaughlin, & John Semper

A space shuttle piloted by J.J.'s son, John Jameson, crash lands on the Tri-Borough Bridge carrying two strange meteors -- One that could provide a new nuclear fuel and one that contains an alien substance. The first is stolen by the Kingpin's henchman, the Rhino, just as Spider-Man arrives to save Jameson and the co-pilots. When the Rhino sends the aircraft off the bridge, Spider-Man emerges from the water with a dark stain covering his costume. Exhausted, he heads for home, only to awaken hanging from a skyscraper, now clothed in a black version of his costume. J. Jonah Jameson blames the wall-crawler for the meteor theft and offers a million dollar reward for him. Eddie Brock used the Daily Bugle to continue his own personal assault on Spider-Man, while Spider-Man discovers he likes the new attitude and augmented powers the new suit gives him -- until he catches up with the Rhino. Then he realizes along with the new costume came a nasty streak that makes him wonder what he's become.

Spider-Man: The Alien Costume, Part 2
Story by Brynne Stephens & John Semper; Teleplay by Brynne Stephens

Ducking bounty hunters on every corner, Spider-Man angrily goes after the man responsible for libeling him: Eddie Brock. Finally, it's Mary Jane who points out that Peter is not acting like himself, which confirms his vague fears...the new suit has changed him. He seeks help from Dr. Curt Conners who discovers that the suit is alive!! And Peter is the host organism! The Shocker, Alistair Smythe's latest creation, snatches the incriminating photos of the Rhino and Spider-Man is apparently defeated in their battle. But he miraculously shows up at Smythe's lab to steal the Promethium-X back from the Kingpin. In a bell tower battle Spider-Man finally rids himself of the alien symbiote, but as luck would have it, Eddie Brock accidentally becomes its next partner.

Spider-Man: The Alien Costume, Part 3
Story by John Semper, Jan Strand, & Mark Hoffmeier; Teleplay by Mark Hoffmeier

The Kingpin is furious at Spidey and sends the Shocker and later the Rhino out to finish Spidey of with the aid of another new invention of Alistair Smythe. Meanwhile, Eddie Brock, as the symbiote creature Venom, is busy playing cat and mouse with Spider-Man, intruding on Peter's private life and making it clear he knows the web-slinger's secret identity. Peter soon realizes that the pumped-up Eddie as Venom is stronger than he is. Worse than that: Spidey's spider-sense doesn't work around Venom!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
08-28-2002, 06:19 PM
Don't stone me, but if Raimi wanted to introduce Venom in a different manner from the comics and cartoon, Harry Osborne could become Venom in #3. It would save a great deal of baggage about Eddie Brock that would only serve to slow down #2.

MikeAndTheBots
08-28-2002, 07:06 PM
Wow, it was quicker than I thought in the cartoon, I'm guessing they left out the whole thing about being in the church to commit suicide part out of the cartoon.

Chuxter: I personally would not like the idea of Harry being venom, he was meant to take over the family business, him being venom would be.....bad....

mylow thehutt
08-28-2002, 11:20 PM
I'm pretty sure that there will be more moives after part 3. Like when they said after Jason 2 there will be no more. Plus what about Carnage and other sweet villans.Take my word for it there will be more moives,may be 3 more after spider 3.

Beast
08-28-2002, 11:30 PM
Carnage is a lame villian. If they want to do Spider-Man movies they need to stick to classic villians. None of the modern cheesy ones. There is such a large bundle of them to draw from, they could do tons of movies before they needed to include lamers like Carnage. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
08-29-2002, 03:23 PM
Carnage was Marvel's way of introducing a second symbiote-powered psycho villain so they could turn Venom into a hero. Bad idea, bad character.

JediTricks
08-29-2002, 06:22 PM
IMO, Spidey movies should stay away from Venom and other alien influences. They should try to keep it as grounded in "reality" as possible to give it a really authentic feel.

Beast
08-29-2002, 06:42 PM
Yeah, cause we all know that radioactive/genetically engineered spiders will give you super powers, right JT. Venom is a classic charecter, so I don't see a huge problem with it. How is it any less realistic then a guy with robotic tentacles or a man that mutates into a lizard. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

MikeAndTheBots
08-29-2002, 10:32 PM
Venom should have stayed a villian, carnage is an idiot and bad character who should never get it into the movies.

evenflow
08-30-2002, 12:22 PM
Spider-Man two should end with Spider-Man and all of the other Super Heroes going to the secret wars. The last scene should be Spidey with the symbiote costume. I would love to see a secret wars movi, but it iwll never happen. Spider-Man 3 must have Venom as the villian and the whole story behind it. Eddie Brock was already mentioned in the movie, so the possibility is there.

jjreason
08-31-2002, 04:36 AM
If they want Venom, they should have him introduced in part 2. Then deal with the fallout in a final showdown in part 3. I would personally rather have Harry come back as a new Goblin then get into the whole symbiote things. Better on paper.

mylow thehutt
08-31-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Yeah, cause we all know that radioactive/genetically engineered spiders will give you super powers, right JT. Venom is a classic charecter, so I don't see a huge problem with it. How is it any less realistic then a guy with robotic tentacles or a man that mutates into a lizard. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

And a guy having spider-powers is normal?:D

Beast
08-31-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by mylow thehutt
And a guy having spider-powers is normal?:D
What, you don't have Spider-powers? Every collector should have them. The web slingers are great for getting those figures off the top shelf. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
09-04-2002, 07:44 PM
It's the difference between being grounded in the semi-reality they've created and not being grounded at all. I never said Spidey was realistic, I said I thought they should "try to keep it as grounded in "reality" as possible to give it a really authentic feel." which is totally different from saying it's realistic.

It'd be like adding Superman to a Batman movie, we know they're from the same universe but the more alien and abstract you get, the less you are able to grab the audience with the concepts you are trying to put across in the scant 2 hours you have.

Beast
09-04-2002, 07:48 PM
JT, they are adding Superman to a Batman movie, "Batman vs. Superman" is in production now. Besides, that is one of the strengths of Marvel and DC, that all these different heroes get their origins from different areas. Not to mention you don't have to look any father then the Justice League, for being able to combine more grounded in reality charecters with alien charecters succesfully. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Nihilus
09-06-2002, 01:00 PM
The thing with Justice League is that while it is a great cartoon I see there being very little possibility of the material making a compelling live-action movie. What works in cartoons/comics doesn't necessarily work on the silver screen, the last two Batman movies should be indication of that. Compare that to the success of the toned down adaptations of Superman 1, X-Men, Batman 1 and Spiderman.

Pendo
09-20-2002, 11:01 AM
What do you guys think of the title for Spider-Man 2?

I think it's cool because it's honors the comic books, but I really cannot see it fit in. I think I would prefer just Spider-Man 2, or a small sub-title.

Also, will it just be called The Amazing Spider-Man or will it be called Spider-Man II - The Amazing Spider-Man?

PENDO!

JesusFreak
09-20-2002, 12:05 PM
Is is really gonna be called "The Amazing Spider-Man"? I love that name!

Eternal Padawan
09-20-2002, 12:22 PM
Aha! Somebody over at Sony read my post! Hooray!

ROLLO!

Pendo
09-20-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by JesusFreak
Is is really gonna be called "The Amazing Spider-Man"? I love that name!

Yeah it is really gonna be called that :). I read about it on countingdown.com, click here (http://www.countingdown.com/movies/spiderman2/movieinfo/credits?item_id=2470850).

I still can't see the title fitting in :(.

PENDO!

The Overlord Returns
09-20-2002, 12:28 PM
It sounds like they are already digging themselves into that Batman franchise hole.

Two villains is a bad idea, and it's already been proven the wrong way to go. Especially when one is planned out to be the Lizard????

He's not even really a villain, just a sad old scientist who screwed up his formula. If they want multiple costumed villains, use the rhino and electro as henchmans and make kingpin the villain of the piece. Cast Michael Clarke Duncan and have continuity with the DD film. It's clear that Marvel is planning on moving their universe from the page to the film world. Start connecting the dots....

However...the best villains are ones that have personal ties to the hero. A strong relationship is needed. This is why the batman films began to suck. WHY was Two Face not the main villain of a film???? He's second only to the Joker in closeness to Batman. Making him the riddlers sidekick was suicide.

Unfortunately, spidey has been blessed with one of the lamest rogues galleries in comics. Whats worse, he does not have emotional ties to any of them...except for Green goblin and Venom.

Venom gets under PP's skin like no other villain has before. He threatens his home life, love life, proffesional life. He also adds a level of guilt to PP's psyche....Venom exists BECAUSE of spidey's mistakes.

I'd say make Venom the Villain of the next two films and explore it properly.......but that aint going to happen....

As for a JLA film....I have a few ideas for that one.....

evenflow
09-20-2002, 03:30 PM
Venom really should be the focus of a couple of films. Th enext film shoudl relaly be about how Peter go tthe symbiate costume through the secret wars and all that. It should end with him giving up the symbiote and Eddie Brock acquiring it. Spider-man 3 should be all about Venom and the havok he causes.

Beast
09-20-2002, 03:41 PM
They will never be able to show Secret Wars in the movie, so any mention of the Costume being acquired there will have to be thrown out also. Like I said before, they will likely do somthing along the lines of how the Animated Series dealt with the Black Costume and Venom. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
09-20-2002, 04:30 PM
I agree with Jar Jar. I'd love to see a secreat wars movie or even a single sceen from it, but I don't think it exists in the same time line as the Spider-Man movie. Just like (at this point) Spider Man doesn't exist in the same time line as X Men. If so, the media would of made it seem that Spidy was just another darn mutant. Instead he was just called out as a trouble makeing freek.

Thus, Secreat Wars couldn't exist becaue other Marvel Super Heros fight in that too (DD, Iron Man, Capt. America ect). Again, there is no mention of those in Spiderman the movie either. If so, the media would have compaired Spidey to Cap or DD. So, in the movie universe it seems that every super hear exists in thier own time line. That's the way it has always been in Super Hero movies, that is until Batman vs. Superman :crazed:. None of us know what to think about that yet.

Beast
09-20-2002, 04:37 PM
Well, Secret Wars can't happen due to the fact that the rights for all those charecters would bankrupt the studio. Even when they finally adapted Secret Wars for the Spider-Man cartoon they ditched most of the charecters to make the episodes possible pricewise. :)

I'm not to sure that Spider-Man exists in a seperate reality then the X-Men and other Marvel heroes. There are a couple hints that superheroes may exist, since Aunt May even makes mention of Superman. Plus there was a cut seen where Stan "The Man" Lee tried to sell Spider-Man some X-Men glasses. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
09-23-2002, 08:51 AM
It woul dbe awesome if they could do a secret wars movie, but at least showing the scene when he got the costume as a flash back woul dbe ok.

Eternal Padawan
09-23-2002, 10:22 AM
I always thought Secret Wars was a bit silly. And I think having him get the costume during that conflict was an afterhtought. I don't think the symbiote will show up in a Spidey movie for several films. Sam Raimi seems like a traditional Red 'n' Blue Spidey kind a guy to me.

ROLLO!

Pendo
09-23-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Sam Raimi seems like a traditional Red 'n' Blue Spidey kind a guy to me.

I HOPE he is the traditional Red and Blue, I LOVE that costume :D.

What is it with all super heros being Red and Blue? Spider-Man, Superman, Captain America...:rolleyes:.

PENDO!

JesusFreak
09-23-2002, 05:05 PM
I always thought it was because they were the colors of the American flag, actually I didn't but its an idea

The Overlord Returns
09-23-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by JesusFreak
I always thought it was because they were the colors of the American flag, actually I didn't but its an idea

Well, that certainly wouldn't be the case with Superman, as he's actually Canadian;)

However, with Caps that's almost a foregone conclusion.

As for spiderman, well, I seem to remember stan lee saying he wanted a very bright, flashy costume. He may have even mentioned the current trend away from a superman coloring of comic heroes to a darker look in costumes...

essentially he said other costumes were boring.

JediTricks
09-24-2002, 12:25 AM
I thought Spidey's costume was originally black and red, which is not an unheard-of color scheme for a spider. As with most black things in comics, I would guess that the natural evolution of coloring came from the boring and featureless black parts simply being drawn more and more in blue until that was the official color.

Supes is Canadian? And he's half-Jewish... what is he, William Shatner? :D

Lord Malakite
09-24-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I thought Spidey's costume was originally black and red, which is not an unheard-of color scheme for a spider.
I was always under the impression that the black was just an artistic style of shadowing for the blue on Spidey's costume.

Beast
09-24-2002, 01:29 AM
I think it was originally black and red also, but most marvel charecters costumes or looks changed in the first few issues. Remeber that Iron Man's original armor was originally grey, turned gold, and Beast's fur was originally grey, turned black, and then settled on blue. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
09-24-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I think it was originally black and red also, but most marvel charecters costumes or looks changed in the first few issues. Remeber that Iron Man's original armor was originally grey, turned gold, and Beast's fur was originally grey, turned black, and then settled on blue. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Here is the first comic Spidey appeared. It dosen't look black, just shadowed.

JediTricks
09-24-2002, 02:35 AM
The blue there is the... I dunno what you'd call this, the "anti-shadowing" that I was referring to before. Every toy based off of this cover (and there have been a few in the past 10 years) has been black. I believe the pages inside show black there as well, though I haven't read a reissue of this in a lonnnnnng time.

Beast
09-24-2002, 02:39 AM
Guess you will have to buy the Spider-Man DVD Boxed Set, JT. Since you get a reprint of that comic with the set. But even if it's blue in that one, I know that in the early issues they changed colors back and forth on alot of charecters. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
09-24-2002, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
The blue there is the... I dunno what you'd call this, the "anti-shadowing" that I was referring to before. Every toy based off of this cover (and there have been a few in the past 10 years) has been black.
Its just like asking if the Hamburger Helper Glove is either right or left handed. You could go either way, but no one ever really knows for sure. Does anyone have Stan Lee's phone number?

Darth Nihilus
09-27-2002, 02:33 PM
Yay, we're getting the VHS and DVD release of Spiderman on the 30th October, a few days before the rest of the world.:D

SithDroid
10-01-2002, 05:23 PM
I think that Eddie Brock (who eventually becomes Venom) should be introduced in the second film and that he should become venom in the third film.

As for the second movie there are a ton of villains to choose from like:

Electro
The Rhino
The Vulture
Dr. Octopus
Mysterio
Hobgoblin

Personally I'd like to see the Sinister Six, but I doubt that would ever happen. TOO many villains.

Shocker
Carnage (a great spin off from Venom)
Green Goblin II
Lizard

Hobgoblin will be out of the picture because he is too similar to Green Goblin.

But who knows, they have tons to choose from.

Beast
02-09-2003, 08:11 PM
According to AICN, an offer is on the table for Alred Molina to play Doctor Otto Octavius, in "The Amazing Spider-Man". I think it's a pretty damn good casting choice, both acting and looks wise.

Also, strong rumors suggest that Eddie Brock and Cletus Kassidy will both appear in Spider-Man 2, and that Spider-Man 3 will focus on both the Venom and Carnage symbiotes. Not to thrilled about Carnage, but depends how he's handled. :)

You throw me the Tentacle, I'll throw you the web... Doc Ock... hmmmm... THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN!

Hey folks, Harry here... Well one of my wall-crawlers peeking over the shoulder of THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN production has given me the drop on what the current situation is with Otto Octavius... that's right... Doc Ock aka Dr Octopus. There's been a great deal of speculation on who would get the tentacles, but now that I've heard... well, it makes a whole helluvalot of sense.

In casting the Green Goblin, Sam Raimi went with a great character actor, someone that you wouldn't instantly think of. Well, right now a very solid offer is on the desk of ALFRED MOLINA to play the man in the badass goggles.

That's right Satipo is going to play Dr Octopus... For those of you that are Alfred Molina impaired, that's the "You throw me the idol, I'll throw you the whip" guy from the opening of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK... Remember the crazy coke head Rahad Jackson in BOOGIE NIGHTS? Or his fantastic Diego Rivera in Salma Hayek's FRIDA? Or his wonderful turn in CHOCOLAT? And... um, his.. um exercise is subtlety that was his Snidely K 'Whip' Whiplash in DUDLEY DO-RIGHT?

If Alfred accepts the offer then again we have a case of a Marvel film making a very very smart CHARACTER CASTING decision. He's just the right size of portly, he grits his teeth quite well and I really hope they give him the Elton John hair-cut!
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
02-09-2003, 10:32 PM
He looks like a good choice for Doc Ock. Has there been any talk as to who is going to playing Dr. Kurt Conners?

Beast
02-09-2003, 10:39 PM
Well, the original rumors said it would be Bruce Campbell, but I think they were that, rumors. Infact I think that Bruce himself popped the bubble on that rumor. But I've read nothing concrete for casting of "The Lizard". I'll keep my peepers peeled. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
02-09-2003, 10:47 PM
Bruce Campbell does have that look about him to play the part. :)
I think its just a rumor too. Though he is supposed to have a bigger part this time around.

James Boba Fettfield
02-09-2003, 10:53 PM
That Doc Ock guy was in a CBS sitcom. I forget the name, but I'm pretty sure he was in a CBS sitcom, a shortlived one too. The Ladies Man, it might have been. Well, I am officially bugged by this now.

EDIT-Yeah, he was in "Ladies Man." Now my mind is at ease.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-09-2003, 11:13 PM
I dunno if that bowl cut is really the "Elton John" style, i mean, as an Elton fan, i can tell ya he has had many styles over the years. tehehheheheh

Then again, if you want Doc using those extra tentacles to play the piano and him and spidey can do a duet of "Don't go Breakin' my Heart" then, hey, be my guest. :D

Eternal Padawan
02-10-2003, 03:17 PM
I heard Jake Gylenhaal will cameo as Cletus Kasady, setting up his turn as Carnage in #3.

How're they gonna squeeze James Franco in as a returning Green Goblin and also Venom and Carnage? Something's not right...

James Boba Fettfield
02-10-2003, 03:29 PM
I don't think you'll be seeing Franco as Green Goblin for awhile.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-10-2003, 03:40 PM
I agree. He might pop in "Amazing" but i'm sure it'll only be as Peter's pal and roomie. I don't think we'll see him turn to the Green Goblin for quite a bit.

SithDroid
02-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
I heard Jake Gylenhaal will cameo as Cletus Kasady, setting up his turn as Carnage in #3.

How're they gonna squeeze James Franco in as a returning Green Goblin and also Venom and Carnage? Something's not right...

I don't think they should have Carnage before Venom. I think a whole movie should be dedicated to Venom as the villain. Heck he is one of Spider-man's greatest enemies. Plus they have similar powers, which I think would make for a great story between the two. They could somehow show a piece of the symbiote costume fall into Cletus's possession, setting up the next film. They possibilites are endless for the villains they can have.

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2003, 02:33 PM
Hey, check this thing out for news on the Spider-Man movie and the other Marvel stuff.

By JEROME MAIDA
For the Daily News

With "Daredevil" another potential hit starring a Marvel Comics superhero, Avi Arad recalls when the company couldn't even get a film based on their characters into theaters.

"That was before our management took over," said Arad, the president of Marvel Studios, referring to a string of rancid '80s duds like "The Fantastic Four" and "Captain America," which were so bad they were never even released to video. Those films had fans wondering if there would ever be a decent Marvel movie.

Then Arad took charge of Marvel's potential film properties, and things began to change.

"It started with 'Blade' (released in 1998), and then 'Blade 2' and 'X-Men' and 'Spider-Man,' " he said. "I think today [critics and the public] look at Marvel as great storytellers, with good quality control.

"We are passionate about our movies. We pick out the right partners, right directors. The movies are fun and we are hitting the masses."

Indeed they are. "Spider-Man" shattered box-office records and was the top-grossing film of 2002. Now "Daredevil" looks to be a successful springboard in a year that will see the release of two other huge Marvel summer movies, "X-Men 2" and "The Hulk."

Contrary to longtime Hollywood thinking, Arad believes it is important to make the comic book fan base happy first, then hope the assembled talent can make a film enjoyable for all - rather than the other way around.

Then he selects talented directors and actors who already know and care about the characters, like "Spider-Man" fan - and film director - Sam Raimi, and avowed Daredevil addicts Mark Steven Johnson and Ben Affleck, director and star respectively in the film.

"People don't know, but Ang Lee [director of the upcoming "Hulk"] has two sons who are Hulk fanatics," Arad said.

So, with "Daredevil" seeking to maintain the Marvel momentum - and perhaps even expand upon it (both Arad and Johnson have already discussed "Daredevil 2" and a solo "Elektra" flick for Jennifer Garner) - here's the lowdown on the other Marvel movies coming your way:

"X-Men 2" (May 2, 2003) - In what is reportedly being labeled as the X-Men's "Empire Strikes Back," the story revolves around Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) searching for answers to his identity while the X-Men battle the Stryker Crusade, a movement intent on wiping out mutants everywhere. Most of the original players return, and they're joined by Alan Cumming's mysterious Nightcrawler, Kelly Hu's sexy Lady Deathstrike and Brian Fox's formidable General Stryker. Ray Park's Toad and Tyler Mane's Sabretooth are absent. The franchise, however, is considered so healthy that Mane has reportedly signed a contract to appear in the next two sequels.

As if that weren't enough, a "Wolverine" solo film starring Jackman may be coming.

"Making a movie about his origin and letting him figure out who he is may be [a] real interesting movie," said Arad.

And arguably the most bankable actress in Hollywood is in this movie. Might Halle Berry be soaring in a "Storm" solo film soon?

"Absolutely," said Arad. "It could be very interesting."

"The Hulk" (June 20, 2003) - According to Arad, Eric Bana (Bruce Banner) and Jennifer Connelly (Betty Ross) will co-star with "the most amazing CGI done in a movie to date" in Ang Lee's epic.

"Spider-Man II" (May 2004) - Reportedly, the story has Peter and Mary Jane dealing with college. While Arad would not reveal the villain, he said speculation that it will be classic Spidey foe Doctor Octopus was "in the ballpark" and that there will almost definitely be only one main villain, not two as some have speculated.

"Blade III" (2004) - This installment of the vampire hunter's never-ending battle is probably the last go-round for star Wesley Snipes. He's been itching to play the title role in a movie version of the Marvel hero "Black Panther."

Other Marvel movies looking at a possible 2004 release include "The Punisher" (possibly starring the Rock), "Ghost Rider" (possibly starring Nicolas Cage), "The Fantastic Four" and "Deathlok."

Other projects in "active development" according to Arad are "Sub Mariner," "Iron Man," "Man-Thing," "Shang-Chi," and "Iron Fist" (possibly starring Ray Park).

So it appears that Marvel movies will dominate cineplexes the next few years.

"That's the idea," Arad said. "To take over Hollywood."

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/5179705.htm

Pendo
02-18-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
By JEROME MAIDA
For the Daily News
...and that there will almost definitely be only one main villain, not two as some have speculated.

I hope this is so. I would hate Spider-Man to fall down the "2 villain" trap as the Batman Movies did.

PENDO!

Beast
02-18-2003, 03:45 PM
Well, it says one main villian. But "The Lizard" never really was a villian anyway. So while Doc Ock could be the main villian, The Lizard could just be an antagonist. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-19-2003, 10:48 PM
Well, Doc Ock has been cast now:

Alfred Molina is Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2!
Wednesday, February 19, 2003 7:21 CST

Alfred Molina (Frida, Identity) will join Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst and James Franco in Columbia Pictures' highly anticipated sequel to Spider-Man, it was announced today by Amy Pascal, Chairman of Columbia Pictures.

Molina will portray Spider-Man's new archenemy "Doc Ock" in the second installment to Columbia Pictures' 2002 worldwide phenomenon Spider-Man, which grossed more than $820 million worldwide and became the fifth highest grossing movie in U.S. history. Spider-Man is based on the classic Marvel Comic book series.

The sequel will reunite the cast and filmmakers from the original blockbuster, including Maguire, Dunst, and Franco along with director Sam Raimi, and producers Laura Ziskin and Avi Arad. Columbia Pictures co-president of production Matt Tolmach is overseeing development of the project for the studio.

Raimi will begin principal photography in April and the new film will be released in 2004.

"Alfred Molina has a remarkable facility for everything from classic drama to mainstream comedy and he is the ideal choice for 'Doc Ock,'" said Pascal. "We wanted an actor that would bring irresistible depth and dimension to this role and we are all tremendously excited to be working with Alfred."

http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/archive/fullnews.cgi?newsid1045704083,78812,

Pendo
02-20-2003, 05:53 AM
I think Alfred Molina is a perfect choice for Doc Ock :). That's some great news, thanx JBF.

PENDO!

Hellboy
02-20-2003, 11:10 PM
great casting choice.
should be good.

JediTricks
02-21-2003, 01:56 AM
Let's just hope Spidey doesn't have the idol when Doc Ock has the whip. :D

James Boba Fettfield
02-25-2003, 09:30 PM
The latest news:

Our secret spider source returns to tell us the latest: neither The Lizard nor Dr. Connors is included in the latest draft of The Amazing Spider-Man. If our source tells us this is the way it is, you can take it to the bank.

http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/spiderman2.html
It's at the bottom of the page.

Pendo
02-26-2003, 03:22 AM
Thanx for the info JBF. I was hoping that the Lizard would not be in it, I would rather the movies focus on just one bad guy than two. I think it is a shame about Dr. Connors though :(, I was kinda looking forward to seeing him. IMO Dr. Connors should have been introduced in Spider-Man 2, then the Lizard in the 3rd movie.

PENDO!

James Boba Fettfield
04-12-2003, 09:09 AM
How's this for a scoop the day before Spider-Man 2 officially starts filming in New York? We're just received word from 'Farrah's Panties' (dig the name), what the rest of the cast looks like. There's some surprises waiting for you (click the links for pics)...

From the cast listing:
Dylan Baker has been cast as Curt Connors.
Donna Murphy has been cast as Rosalie Octavius.
Christina Della Rose and Susie Park are unnamed nurses.
Ted Raimi is back as Hoffman.
Willem Dafoe is listed as Norman Osborn.
Cliff Robertson is listed as Uncle Ben.

The "Head of State" star is an interesting choice for Curt Connors, aka The Lizard. Who is Rosalie, and how will Dafoe and Robertson appear in the sequel? Guess we'll soon find out. If you'd like to talk about this latest news, then please join this thread on the SHH! Boards.

Click here to see the source and the pics of some of the new cast (http://www.superherohype.com/cgi-bin/news/fullnews.cgi?newsid1050102261,80586,x)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-12-2003, 10:23 AM
I assume Uncle Ben and Norman will appear in flashbacks of some sort.

I thought Dr. Connors wasn't going to be in it. If he is, i would assume that just him and Octavius are working on something together and whatnot. Just my thoughts. :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Maybe it will be something small with Connors to set up something later, kind of like having Hank McCoy in X2, which I assume will be a small role that is not too big and just done to set up his character later.

James Boba Fettfield
04-14-2003, 10:54 AM
Looks like Curt will be in the next Spider-Man, though no word on the Lizard showing his face. Well, if you want to see the proof (http://www.aintitcool.com/image/spidey-lizard.jpg). Thanks to AICN with that picture from the set.

And attached is a picture of Molina and Murphy on the set, playing the roles of Doc Ock and Rosalie Octavius.

Beast
07-20-2003, 03:58 AM
From Ain't it Cool News, this poster was up at the SDCC. And they were also showing about 2 minutes of footage from Spider-Man 2. I of course edited the foul language from the article. :)

HOLY CRAP! Quint’s Got Pictures Of DOC OCK!! And Has Seen Some Of SPIDER-MAN 2!!

Hi, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab...
This is exactly the reason to go to Comic-Con. I’m really, really sorry I missed this footage, but thank God we had Quint on the scene, eh?

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here from Comic-Con... I just ran out of the tail-end of the VAN HELSING panel to get this out to you guys. Today at Sony's panel Avi Arad and Laura Zisken appeared and told the disappointed Comic-Con crowd that Sam Raimi is stuck in bed on doctor's orders with a fever of over 100 degrees... To make up for it they brought along a finished scene from Spider-Man 2 and this huge banner, giving us our first look at Alfred Molina as Dr. Otto Octavius...

Ain't it beautiful? Avi then introduced the 2 minute scene from Spider-Man 2... Good God... the way I felt last year when Bryan Singer showed that X2 clip, that giddy excitement, that great feeling of knowing that the next film is going to blow away the first... I got that here. The footage they showed was of a group of doctors going over Dr. Octavius' "accident", looking at computer readings showing the tentacles have been fused with the spine... The decision is made to cut off the tentacles, then figure out how to save his spine.

Doc Ock is laid out, face down, on a table, his eyes covered in white gauze. His 4 tentacles are wrapped in white sheets and hanging by ties to the ceiling around the room... Think the Alien Queen from ALIENS. There's tension as the main surgeon takes a buzz saw and turns it on. One of the tentacles twitches. The surgeon stops the saw, looks at the tentacle... nothing. He turns it back on again and gets very close to the metal skin of the first tentacle. BAM! The tentacles break free and beat the holy hell out of all the doctors and nurses.

This scene is classic Raimi... Following flying tentacles through the air, quick zooms into the open, screaming mouths of the nurses... The whole time Molina is laying on the surgical table completely motionless. One of the doctors gets trapped by a tentacle... looks around and sees a little sterile-silver chainsaw on the table next to him... tries to inch towards it. Then it cuts to Tentacle-cam. All 4 of the tentacles have the ability to take video it seems... it actually looked really sweet.

The tentacle thwarts the doctor's attempt to grab the chainsaw... cut away to many doctors and nurses getting smacked in the chest, face, legs by the other tentacles... the chainsaw doctor gets knocked down... all of a sudden the sound of a chainsaw roars to life and you see a gloved hand hold it high in the air triumphantly only to get totaled by the tentacle.

Everyone is down... Molina begins to wake up. He raises his head and a tentacle gently takes off the surgical gauze blindfold for him. This move was incredible. It was either some of the best CG I've ever seen or it was animatronic. If it was animatronic work, then count me doubly impressed. It was smooth and casual as if it really was just another hand at Doc Ock's disposal.

Doc Ock apparently isn't too happy with the situation. He gets up on his knees and in a wide shot we see him lamenting the situation, crying out "No!" as his tentacles flail and flex.

F*****g super-badass. The footage ended, and Molina himself was brought on as a surprise guest along with movie effects legend John Dykstra. Check 'em out!

Enjoy the above stuff. I got lots more of today's movie panels to report on, but I'll get to that later tonight. 'Til then, this is Quint bidding you all a fond farewell and adieu.

-Quint
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
07-20-2003, 04:31 AM
Wow how sweet does Doc Ock look. :sur:
Not exactly the look we're used to from the comic but sweet nonetheless. Thanks for the info JJB. :)

Pendo
07-20-2003, 06:52 AM
Thanx Jjb :d!!!

pendo!

mabudonicus
07-20-2003, 09:35 AM
Right on!!! Thanks for the pix, Binks. If it's as good as the animation in that "Universal Studios" ride ad from a few years back (spidey vs Ock on that jet plane- WICKED) he'll rule!!!! Forget Venom, the films should stick to actual Spider man villains.. I'd rather see a film with Paste Pot Pete the "Crapster" as the main villain than those goofy flavour-of-the-month "RRRARGH, I'm EEEEEEVIL" guys..... they are like the super-hero equivalents of Creed songs IMMHO.... Just like if Spiderman was being made in 89 or so and the main character was "starbrand" or something dumb like that.....
You want alien horror, watch ALIEN or PREDATOR or something..... you want a little geeky guy punching out megalomaniacal costumed malcontents, you want SPIDER MAN.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-20-2003, 02:29 PM
In the words of Jerry Seinfeld and shortly thereafter, Elaine Benice:

"I'm speechless...i am without speech"

Woah...just woah.....i mean, good lord...he looks.....amazing....i want spider-man 2, NOW!! now guldarnit!! :D

Thanks for the pics, JJB. :)

Dr Zoltar
07-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Wow! Just, damn, wow! Incredible! Looks like Doc Op is going to get the respect he deserves. At times he was a bit of a joke in the comic.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-30-2003, 03:10 PM
Woah, i beat Jar Jar to this!! He must be getting forgetful in his old gungan age.

new Spidey poster!! not much, but hey, it gets me giddy.

http://superherohype.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Spider-Man/Spider-Man_2/Posters&image=spiderman.jpg&img=&tt=

Enjoy!

Pendo
07-30-2003, 04:25 PM
That poster is cool! Thanx JMG :D.

I have high hopes for this sequel, I hope I'm not disapointed :).

PENDO!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Got at a pic that should get you Spidey fans giddy!! A pic taken of the Doc Octopus surgery scene shown at the SD comic con. Here is a pic of Doc Ock!!! The picture isn't the greatest quality, but it got me giggling w/ nerd glee! :D Enjoy!

(thanks to Superherohype for posting the pic on their site!)

Beast
09-29-2003, 09:24 PM
Some info about the upcoming Spider-Man 2. And a hint for what's ahead for Spider-Man three. Beware of Spoilers as always. The info comes from Superherohype.com. :)

Havent' mailed you in a while, but I just found out some info on Spider-Man 2 that might be of interest to you. It should pretty much be considered spoiler material, so be warned:

Seems Harry Osbourne is not only back as Peter's side-kick/buddy, but his craving for revenge on our favorite friendly neighborhood spiderman is kicking into overdrive, prompting him to get quite involved in fighting yours truly. At some point throughout the film, he hands Spidey over to Doc Ock and towards the end of the film, he hears and sees his late dad talk to him through a mirror. Enraged, he subsequently smashes it only to find the Goblin's lair behind it, filled with all his toys: bombs, glider, suit, etc. I believe it pretty much ends there, but it certainly sets the stage nicely for a possible intro of the Hob-Goblin at a later point, n'est pas? All of this info was obtained directly from a guy who is closely involved with the flic, so, while taking it with the proverbial grain of salt, I do assume that that's how it'll go down (and must add that I'm quite pleased with that idea - hopefully they'll discard the MM Power Rangers outfit this time around and finally build the cool version of the GG suit).
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
11-26-2003, 04:47 PM
Well, the Spidey 2 Teaser Trailer is being attached to ROTK. So that's something to definatly look forward to that day. Here's supposedly what the trailer entails. :)

The teaser begins with a dialogue between Toby Maguire and Kirsten Dunst. They are in a coffee shop and she asks him if he loves her. He says "no", trembling. "Okay, if you don't love me, give me a kiss", she says and leans forward. "I would like to see something". You can notice he's very nervous. Just when they're about to kiss he ducks in slow motion and pushes her to the floor. We see a full size car smashing through the coffee shop window and nearly hitting them. In slow motion one of the car wheels almost peels Toby's face off. Then, right through the broken entrance comes Doc Ock, walking with his tentacles, never touching the ground, like a metal spider...
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
12-14-2003, 03:02 AM
You'll be able to see the trailer for Spider-Man 2, in just under 20 hours from now. Here's the news that was posted a couple of days ago. Guess we won't have to wait for ROTK to see it after all. :)

Spider-Man(R) 2 Spins Worldwide Web

Fans Globally can Simultaneously Experience an Exclusive First Look at Spider-Man(R) 2 Teaser Trailer on Yahoo!

CULVER CITY, Calif., Dec. 11 - With early excitement building towards its July 2, 2004 release, Columbia Pictures in association with Marvel Studios announced today that the first theatrical teaser trailer for Spider-Man® 2 will premiere online, exclusively at Yahoo!, streaming to fans around the world beginning on December 15 at 12:01am EST.

Fans everywhere who visit the Yahoo! front page will be able to click on the Spider-Man banner and experience a top-quality stream of the film's teaser trailer.

The trailer is set for prominent placement globally on the front pages of international Yahoo! properties in 13 countries including United States of America, Mexico, Canada, Brazil, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. Local times are as follows:

Yahoo! Mexico mx.yahoo.com 11:01pm December 14
Yahoo! USA yahoo.com 12:01am EST December 15
Yahoo! Canada ca.yahoo.com 12:01am December 15
Yahoo! Brazil br.yahoo.com 3:01am December 15
Yahoo! UK & Ireland uk.yahoo.com 5:01am December 15
Yahoo! France fr.yahoo.com 6:01am December 15
Yahoo! Spain es.yahoo.com 6:01am December 15
Yahoo! Italy it.yahoo.com 6:01am December 15
Yahoo! Germany de.yahoo.com 6:01am December 15
Yahoo! Japan yahoo.co.jp 2:01pm December 15
Yahoo! Australia & NZ yahoo.com.au 3:31pm December 15

"This will be the first wave of our global launch for one of the most anticipated films of 2004," said Geoffrey Ammer, President, Worldwide Marketing for the Columbia TriStar Motion Picture Group. "The worldwide demand for images and materials from Spider-Man 2 is nearly insatiable and, given that such a large segment of the opening weekend audience for the first film was influenced by our interactive campaign, what better way to reward that loyalty than by sharing these exclusive images with fans around the world on the Internet. Thanks to our solid relationship with the people at Yahoo!, we are taking full advantage of our capability to host this global premiere for the enjoyment of our fans worldwide."

"We are pleased to leverage the global reach of Yahoo! For the worldwide phenomenon of Spider-Man®," said Jim Moloshok, Yahoo! Senior Vice President, Media, Entertainment, Information & Finance. "Yahoo's audience around the world is made up of the same entertainment consumers who stand in line for a movie on opening weekend, and the Yahoo! network is the ideal place to give the fans their first peek at Spider-Man's newest adventures."

Following its online premiere, the new trailer will segue into U.S. theaters on Wednesday, December 17, where the studio is targeting such films as The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

On May 3, 2002, Spider-Man made box office history with a record- shattering opening weekend of $114 million. The film went on to earn more than $820 million worldwide and ranks as the fifth highest grossing film in U.S. history.

Based on exit polls that Sony conducted during the opening weekend of Spider-Man, an estimated 47 percent of patrons cited the Internet as an important source of information for the movie.

In Spider-Man® 2, the latest installment in the blockbuster Spider-Man® series, based on the classic Marvel Super Hero®, Tobey Maguire returns as the mild-mannered Peter Parker, who is juggling the delicate balance of his dual life as a college student and a superhuman crime fighter.

The entertaining adventure escalates and Spider-Man's life becomes even more complicated when he confronts a new nemesis, the brilliant Otto Octavius, (Alfred Molina) who has been reincarnated as the maniacal and multi-tentacled "Doc Ock."

In addition to Maguire and Molina, Spider-Man 2 also stars Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Rosemary Harris, Donna Murphy and J.K. Simmons. Spider-Man 2 is directed by Sam Raimi and based on the Marvel Comic book by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko.

http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/sony/spiderman2/
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
12-14-2003, 06:28 AM
Wow, thanx for the heads up JJB :D! I can't wait for this trailer :).

PENDO!

AT-AT Man
12-15-2003, 06:52 AM
just watched it, and i got goosebumps from the first sight of Doc Ock. This is going to be one hell of a good movie. Can't wait.

scruffziller
12-15-2003, 07:59 AM
Any thoughts on who would make a good Eddie Brock/Venom?
I know the dude who plays ANGEL.

Pendo
12-15-2003, 08:57 AM
Watched the trailer. It really was a teaser, it didn't give away much of the story, and I WANT MORE! Look forward to the release :).

PENDO!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-15-2003, 09:52 AM
Holy crap that looked AMAZING. Purely amazing. I got goosebumps!! I cannot wait for this flick!! cheers!! :D

Beast
12-29-2003, 03:14 AM
New info from Superhero Hype on Spider-Man 2. Be careful though, there's some spoilers here. So read at your own risk. :)

Wizard magazine visited the Spider-Man 2 set in New York and the scenes filmed involved Tobey Maguire (Peter Parker), Rosemary Harris (Aunt May) and a bank. We're not going to spoil it here for you, so pick up the magazine for more on that! What we will run through is Marvel Studio President Avi Arad's comments to the magazine about each of the major characters in the sequel. The following includes some spoilers as well...

Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire): Peter's a college boy now, studying all sorts of academic stuff under professors like the esteemed Dr. Curt Connors (more on him later). But he still finds time to snap a few photos for the Daily Bugle. "Peter Parker is dealing with his life without Mary Jane," says Arad. "He's a university student now, and he has bigger responsibilities. It's tough making a living. Peter's still searching for a way to be both Spider-Man and Peter Parker, and still have some kind of normalcy in his life."

Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst): The hard work has finally paid off, and MJ has hit the big time as a Broadway star. "Mary Jane is probably the character who's gone through the most personal growth," notes Arad. "She's finally living her dream, and she's become successful. She's acting, she's modeling-she will always love Peter, but she actually has a life." Part of that life involves new flame John Jameson, son of crabby Daily Bugle chief J. Jonah Jameson.

John Jameson (Daniel Gillies): MJ's turned her romantic attentions to hunky astronaut and all-around nice guy John Jameson. And the agonizing part? He's so darn likeable. "When Peter finally meets John, after hearing all the bragging from Mary Jane and his dad, to his great surprise, he likes him," reveals Arad. "There's going to be some fun twists and turns, but I don't want to ruin it for the audience, or Sam will break my legs [Laughs]."

Aunt May (Rosemary Harris): Peter's beloved Aunt is the only real family he's got left-and even though she's got troubles of her own, she's still a rock for Peter to lean on. "Aunt May is just an amazing lady," gushes Arad. "She shows incredible strenght in this movie, struggling with loneliness and all the things that happen to widows, from the economic issues to the psychological issues."

Harry Osborn (James Franco): Peter's friend plays an enormous role in the sequel, as his loyalty to his friend clashes with his vengeful vendetta against Spider-Man. And the playfulness of the kid in the first film has been replaced by a darker edge. "He has a complicated role," says Arad. "He now has to take responsibility for his life-no more excuses, he's the man in charge."

Dr. Curt Connors (Dylan Baker): One of Peter's college professors will be none other than the man who eventually transforms into the evil Lizard in the comics. But will the reptilian baddie make his debut in this film, as some rumors are reporting? "I can't say!" laughts Arad. "I don't want to dispel rumors, because they're fun. Connors is in the movie, and he and Peter are going to have an encounter as mentor and student-let's leave it at that."

Otto Octavius, aka Doc Ock (Alfred Molina): Everybody knows Doc Ock is the central villain, but no one really knows the exact nature of Peter's relationship with Octavius. "He's someone that Peter wants to get to know," teases Arad. "Of course, as the story goes along, it all goes to crap after that! It's definitely a dual relationship. And it's not as simple as Octavius starting off good and becoming bad. Believe it or not, he starts off good, and he actually stays good." So what exactly does that mean? "Trust me," laughs Arad. "we did something less obvious than you'd expect!"
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-09-2004, 12:04 PM
A breakdown of the full Spider-Man 2 trailer has turned up over on the TrekBBS. Now, I would never take their word as first hand. But Dark Horizon believes it to be true, and it sounds good. So hopefully it's legit. Can't wait for this flick. :)

"Aunt May starts it out, with a voiceover about responsibility. Then we see Peter getting yelled at by several different people, including Jameson, about being late. We also hear Jameson tell Peter he's fired. Curt Connors also shows up, talking to Pete about missing classes.

MJ tells Peter she can't keep thinking about him, and is getting married. Then Peter says he doesn't have to always give up what he wants, and throws away his Spider-Man costume. We then see him walking around, wearing glasses again, and telling MJ he decided he no longer has to be devoted to anything but his own happiness. MJ tells him she likes him being himself.

Then we see Harry, chiding Peter about being Spider-Man's friend. He also talks about Octavius having a new invention that will put Oscorp on the map. We see Octavius have his accident, then hear Jameson saying "A brilliant scientist turns himself into some kind of monster with mechanical arms!", and see Ock climbing down the hospital wall.

Harry tells Ock to find Spider-Man for him, Ock asks how he'll find Spider-Man since he's apparently left town, and Harry says to go after Peter to get to Spider-Man. Next we see Ock in that cafe, grabbing Peter by the neck and telling him to bring Spidey out of hiding or he'll peel the flesh from MJ's body.

CG shots of Ock throwing car doors, hubcaps, etcetera down a street. A little boy asks Peter if he knows where Spider-Man is, since Peter knows Spidey. We see Spidey swing around Ock, sticking to a wall. Then we see Ock, holding Spidey as he says "You're beginning to annoy me," and Spidey says "Yeah, I get that a lot." We then see him being laid down in front of Harry, and as Harry rips off Spider-Man's mask, the Spider-Man 2 logo pops up.

There was other stuff in there I am sure I forgot about, but that's it as close as I can remember it. Seeing the footage, I am very pleased with it.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
02-09-2004, 12:40 PM
A breakdown of the full Spider-Man 2 trailer has turned up over on the TrekBBS. Now, I would never take their word as first hand. But Dark Horizon believes it to be true, and it sounds good. So hopefully it's legit. Can't wait for this flick. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Wow, sounds amazing! Thanx JJB :D!

PENDO!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Holy bajesus jones; that sounds AWESOME!!!!! I wonder when it'll be up?!!? :D

Beast
03-25-2004, 12:14 PM
An update on the next trailer, as well as some advance news on Spider-Man 3. :)

My travels in Los Angeles took me to Las Vegas tonight where I managed to get into Sony's special presentation at the ShoWest exhibitors conference for "Spider-Man 2". Along with appearances by the cast and crew, the half hour sneak peek contained three quite cool elements:

The New Trailer
The new domestic trailer is still being assembled and will debut in cinemas April 9th, but we got a sneak peek. After the quite limp teaser, its very pleasing to say quite simply this preview ROCKED - literally the best full trailer of a Summer movie yet. The first half deals with Peter (Tobey Maguire) being sick of his identity and ditching his superhero identity (literally his costume in a trashcan). Combine that with some Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst) and Harry Osborn (Jmes Franco) footage as they want something from Peter (she wants a love admission, he wants to know why Peter seems to protect his father's killer) . Then the second half is all Doc Ock action and Spidey fighting scenes, flashes of Tobey's chest, people getting picked up like rag dolls, the Ock origin scene, and massive street battles.

Date Announcements
The second film has been moved and will now debut in US theatres on Wednesday, June 30th 2004. They also confirmed that "Spider-Man 3" is all set for a May 4th 2007 release with all the key cast and crew (Raimi, Maguire, Dunst, Arad & Ziskin) all involved.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
03-25-2004, 03:03 PM
I really want a movie with Venom.

Hellboy
03-25-2004, 06:42 PM
Well I for one really hope that Venom and the more ridiculous Carnage never make it into the films. The character of Venom was so over used in the comics for years and it would be near impossible to try and explain his true origin. To me the only interesting thing about him was the living costume that Spidey picked up during the Secret Wars and you know that could never be explained in a movie so they would probably make something else up.

My choice for a future baddy would be Kraven "The Hunter". You could even throw the Vulture into the mix by having him get captured by Kraven since he does hunt unique and exotic animals. The whole death of Spiderman/Kraven storyline that ran through all the titles back in the late 80's is still one of my personal favorite Spiderman story arcs. :cool:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-29-2004, 03:39 PM
http://www.superherohype.com/spider-man/index.php?id=1092

SHH posted a clip that is going to be played on "Extra" i think tonight, so check it out here!! It starts off with "I, robot" and then kicks into Spidey!! It has some interviews and more importantly, shows footage from the film/second trailer!!!!!

BEWARE THOUGH: THERE ARE MASSIVE SPOILERS ABOUT MJ!!! Enjoy! :D

Beast
03-29-2004, 04:42 PM
If it's still up, someone posted a low quality bootleg of the new Spider-Man 2 trailer. Looks really bad arse, even though the quality is bad. Note to do a Right Click and Save As. Not try to go to the page. :)

http://www.movie-list.net/spiderman2-boot.mov

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
03-29-2004, 06:17 PM
That was a kick arse trailer. Thaks JJB for hooking it up

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-29-2004, 06:39 PM
I agree, that trailer, from what i could see of it at least :p was pretty awesome!!

I hope they officially release it soon!! :D Thanks Binksy!

Beast
03-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Glad you guys liked it. It was posted on the horror board I'm on. And I had to share the love with you guys. I love how Doc Ock's tentacles connect. That's gonna be bad arse on the big screen. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-05-2004, 05:26 PM
"USA Today reports that Sony Pictures will debut the new 2 1/2-minute Spider-Man 2 trailer during NBC's "The Apprentice" this Thursday. The show airs at 9pm ET and the trailer will be shown about 40 minutes into the program. It will play in theaters starting on Friday."

SCORE!!!! Granted, i have the boot downloaded, but still going to be awesome!! Cheers!!! :D

-Durge-
04-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Guys, any word on weather or not Spidey get a new costume in the film. In the first movie he got the wrestler one new a cool new one. Any word on if he will get an updated one?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Nah, as far as i know the suit is pretty much the same. I can't imagine them updating it much more as the next step would be the other blue/red suit, but in the style of Ben Reily and the clone saga and that just brings up bad bad bad memories. :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
04-05-2004, 08:13 PM
There's always Scarlet Spider....Come on Sony, put Scarlet Spider and the Owl in the next movie!

Reefer Shark
04-06-2004, 02:09 AM
Aside from the classic style, The only other Spider-Man costume I would like to see in the flicks is the black symbiote costume. That would probably be pretty dope on the big screen.

Yeah. The old Ben Reily clone/Scarlet Spider deal....... That's about when I stopped reading Spider-Man comics. lol

Pendo
04-06-2004, 04:53 AM
Guys, any word on weather or not Spidey get a new costume in the film. In the first movie he got the wrestler one new a cool new one. Any word on if he will get an updated one?The costume is the same classic design, but it has been updated. There are over 100 minor changes made to the costume, but half of them probably will not even be noticable :rolleyes:. I think the spiders on the frot and back of the costume are slightly different :).

PENDO!

-Durge-
04-06-2004, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the heads up guys. Hopefully at the last fight he will wear a new costume.....just wishful thinking...:)

evenflow
04-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Aside from the classic style, The only other Spider-Man costume I would like to see in the flicks is the black symbiote costume. That would probably be pretty dope on the big screen.

I have to agree.

Pendo
04-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys. Hopefully at the last fight he will wear a new costume.....just wishful thinking...:)Really? I love his costume, I'd rather tham stick with the original than design a new costume for him.

New costumes worked for the movie Batman and the X-Men, but I don't think it would work for Spidey.

PENDO!

JediTricks
04-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Really? I love his costume, I'd rather tham stick with the original than design a new costume for him.

New costumes worked for the movie Batman and the X-Men, but I don't think it would work for Spidey.

PENDO!
I'm with ya there Pendo, I don't see a need to slap a new costume on Spidey just because it might sell a few more action figures or give the costuming department something else to do. The story is about Spider-man, who didn't need major costume changes in the comics for 20 years.

BTW, I don't really see how the black costume would look visually interesting on film, except for the spider on the front and back and the eyes, it's a featureless black void and I think would look really boring on screen.

Reefer Shark
04-06-2004, 04:48 PM
BTW, I don't really see how the black costume would look visually interesting on film, except for the spider on the front and back and the eyes, it's a featureless black void and I think would look really boring on screen.He heh... well maybe I just like the color black ;).

Nah really, I think it be cool on screen becuase is dark and spooky. I'd like to see Spider-Man looking a little more creepy. Coming out of the shadows, all you would see at first is those big white eyes, and the white spider emblem on his chest.

Then BAM!! He's upon you, and you can see him in all his black costumed glory!! Yeah, that would be cool IMO. But then again I'm kinda biased towards creepy stuff.

Just my 2 cents! :D

I will also say the regular costume is great, and there really isn't any need to change it. BUT, if there was another Spider-Man costume in the flicks, gimme the black one.

evenflow
04-06-2004, 05:50 PM
I think I am just praying for Venom to be the villian in the next film.

Kidhuman
04-06-2004, 06:13 PM
I think I am just praying for Venom to be the villian in the next film.
If that happens then they need to make the black suit. They should do a Secret Wars movie, that would be awesome, and use the people from the movies now(Like Toby MacGuire and such) to be the characters in the movie.

Beast
04-06-2004, 07:30 PM
A Secret Wars movie will never happen. To many characters, it would be far too expensive. There are options though. Either the symbiote coming down on the Space Shuttle, like from the Animated Series. Or the Cancer Fighting Suit from Ultimate Spider-Man. Either of those would work fine. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

-Durge-
04-06-2004, 10:26 PM
He heh... well maybe I just like the color black ;).

Nah really, I think it be cool on screen becuase is dark and spooky. I'd like to see Spider-Man looking a little more creepy. Coming out of the shadows, all you would see at first is those big white eyes, and the white spider emblem on his chest.

Then BAM!! He's upon you, and you can see him in all his black costumed glory!! Yeah, that would be cool IMO. But then again I'm kinda biased towards creepy stuff.

That sounds sooooooooooooooooo cool!!!!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-08-2004, 09:49 PM
HOLY JESUS!!!!! That trailer was AMAZING!!
I'm completely speechless!!! It was just...wow...wow is all i can say. I cannot wait for June 30th!!!

Only 10 more min till it's online so i can watch it over and over and over.... cheers!! :D

-Durge-
04-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Can you give us a description of the trailer...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Can you give us a description of the trailer...

No, i don't think i will.....because it's up for your viewing pleasure at apple.com!!!!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/spider-man_2/trailer/

Enjoy the glory!! cheers!! :D

Pendo
04-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Can you give us a description of the trailer...No need for a description - here it is:

I agree that the movie does look amazing! I just hope the CGI work is not complete! I'm not on another "I hate CGI" rant, but it looks bloody awful compared to the first Spider-Man movie.

It does look like a good sequel and I too cannot wait for it :).

PENDO!

edit: DARN! Beaten to it! :rolleyes:

evenflow
04-09-2004, 09:32 AM
A Secret Wars movie will never happen. To many characters, it would be far too expensive. There are options though. Either the symbiote coming down on the Space Shuttle, like from the Animated Series. Or the Cancer Fighting Suit from Ultimate Spider-Man. Either of those would work fine. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I could deal with the Space Shuttle idea, but i think they should stay away from the Ultimate story line.

I wouldn't mind if the movie just started out with the symbiote costume and there was like a well done flashback to how he got it during the secret wars.

dr_evazan22
04-09-2004, 09:52 AM
I think I'll go check out the trailer again, but my first reaction from seein it last night was that it seemed like they did a good job of translating the problems that Peter was having to the screen. One of the things I liked about most Marvel titles was how characters were fleshed out more, versus DC characters.

-Durge-
04-09-2004, 10:30 AM
I cannot dl it and I need a description. Anyone can PM me thanks.

Pendo
04-09-2004, 12:17 PM
I cannot dl it and I need a description. Anyone can PM me thanks.
Try one of the downloadable links rather than downloading it in your browser.

PENDO!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-09-2004, 12:56 PM
No need for a description - here it is:

I agree that the movie does look amazing! I just hope the CGI work is not complete! I'm not on another "I hate CGI" rant, but it looks bloody awful compared to the first Spider-Man movie.

It does look like a good sequel and I too cannot wait for it :).

PENDO!

edit: DARN! Beaten to it! :rolleyes:

Yeah, i noticed the CGI was a bit iffy. I'm guessing this'll greatly be improved upon before the film's release.

Also, yeah, isn't it weird that nearly EXACTLY the same moment, on different sides of the globe, we were BOTH posting the trailer on the same website in the same thread?!??!! WEIRD, MAN!! that's totally trippin' me out!! :crazed:

Good luck dlin' the trailer, Durge! :D

El Chuxter
04-09-2004, 01:38 PM
DAYUM!!

That was so cool, I had to drive up to Stan Lee's house, give the dude a six-pack of Guiness, and promise to name all my children after him!!

I had reservations about Octopus, but they are gone now. Glad to see he's not as skinny as early pics made me believe.

Nice to see more nods to classic stories and covers. The "Spider-Man No More" reference was perfect!

MJ already knows who Spidey is. It's pretty obvious. :)

And with Kurt Connors' name being dropped in the first film, and an unnamed one-armed mentor figure, I'm willing to bet my SW collection the villain in part three will be. . . the Lizard!!

The CG didn't bother me, because I kept in mind how bad the early CG from Spidey 1 was, and how it turned out looking in the end.

Hellboy
04-09-2004, 04:35 PM
I watched the trailer last night when it aired on tv and wasn't overly impressed. Don't get me wrong the movie will probably turn out fine but like Pendo and Guyute I thought the CGI looked pretty bad. A few scenes that come to mind are when Spidey swings into that subway car and when Doc Ock is climbing up the side of a building. Most of the scenes cut away so fast though it was hard to really evaluate. Definately needs a polish but I'm still optomistic. :neutral:

-Durge-
04-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Try one of the downloadable links rather than downloading it in your browser.

PENDO!Pendo, it still did not work. What shall I do?

Kidhuman
04-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Awesome, cant wait for this movie. :beard:

-Durge-
04-10-2004, 04:58 AM
Where can I find screencaps?

Pendo
04-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Pendo, it still did not work. What shall I do?
Hmmm, don't know what the problem could be. Sorry for asking an obvious question, but you have downloaded QuickTime haven't you? LOL :rolleyes:, just checking :D.

Not sure where you could find screen caps from, try Super Hero Hype or something similar :).

PENDO!

hango fett
04-10-2004, 10:45 AM
pretty sweet. i hope that it will be more action than peter running around and trying not ot be spider man. but thats my opinion.
did they push the release date up? i thoguht it was supposed to be july 3rd or 2nd?????
???
HF

-Durge-
04-10-2004, 01:10 PM
I NEED TO SEE PICS!! Anyone plaese post some pics!!!!!!!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-10-2004, 01:33 PM
here are pics!! here are pics!!! A fellow geek posted a link to them over at the Hulk boards i post at. Enjoy Mr. Durge and everybody else!! :D

http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v50/LIKE-MARVEL/?action=view&current=pete.jpg

pretty sweet. i hope that it will be more action than peter running around and trying not ot be spider man. but thats my opinion.
did they push the release date up? i thoguht it was supposed to be july 3rd or 2nd?????
???
HF

Yeah, it was originally July 3rd and it got kicked up to June 30th!! RAWK!!! :D

hango fett
04-10-2004, 03:23 PM
that's wha ti thought! i like how they are making doc oc or whatever his "nickname" is. he looks bad@$$!!!
HF

stillakid
06-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Quotemarks: Words on the Record
Visual Effects Supervisor John Dykstra says ...

"There was a huge advantage in already having digital material on hand from the first Spider-Man movie. For us, though [the two Spider-Man] movies were separated by a couple of years, there was a real harvest of ideas and techniques that we got to use from the first film.
"However, our villain this time, Doctor Octopus, was a whole new thing since he wasn't in the first movie. He has four mechanical arms, and there is no paradigm for that. The design of the tentacles and the design of how they move had to be done simultaneously. It took us a while to resolve and mature the tentacles in their final form. [Director Sam Raimi] demanded that the tentacle design satisfy three requirements: they had to look good with the rest of the production, look good as a costume that the actor could physically wear, and also be compatible with the CG technique we were developing for their more extreme applications.

"At Sony Imageworks, we had a whole feedback group going, examining puppet versions and evolving the tentacles. It took the first year of production to get it right, to make the tentacles fluid, and yet, move as if they had their own sense of will. We developed all sorts of proprietary tools to make them move in that fashion.

"Look at a real octopus: As fluid as its motions are, and as frightening as he is, he lives in another world--underwater. When we started giving the character octopus motions, he tended to lose his sense of gravity and looked too balletic. He was floating around. So we decided to give his tentacles a more muscle and bone kind of feel. We made them more flexible, snake-like. The tentacles had to be facile, having the same intuitive motion that people have with their two arms. These four arms on Doc Ock had to do those same kinds of things, and at the same time, they also had to look mechanical. They had to smash on things, with facets of motion that seemed organic and facets that seemed mechanical. So that was a major, challenging task of the visual effects on Spider-Man 2."

--John Dykstra of Sony Pictures Imageworks, visual effects pioneer and visual effects supervisor on Spider-Man 2, discussing how effects in the Spider-Man franchise have evolved in the latest movie.

See the July issue of Millimeter for more from Dykstra and several other visual effects supervisors who worked on major summer movies this year. In the article, the supervisors discuss industry advancements as illustrated by such films as Spider-Man 2; I, Robot; Troy; Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban; Van Helsing; King Arthur, and The Day After Tomorrow, among others.

__________________________________________________ ____________

2-1B
06-22-2004, 01:29 PM
No matter how fake the tentacles look, I still welcome Doc Ock over the Green Goblin. :rolleyes:

Now if only they would have gotten Jake Gyllenhall instead of Tobey McGuire . . .

No matter what, this movie HAS to be better than the last one, that's for sure. :p

stillakid
06-22-2004, 01:59 PM
No matter how fake the tentacles look, I still welcome Doc Ock over the Green Goblin. :rolleyes:

Now if only they would have gotten Jake Gyllenhall instead of Tobey McGuire . . .

No matter what, this movie HAS to be better than the last one, that's for sure. :p

I'm with you. But I have to ask, what do real mechanical tentacles look like? ;)

bigbarada
06-22-2004, 05:03 PM
This movie looks like it might be a lot better than the first film. Primarily because we don't have to slog through the origin story again or look at that crappy Goblin mask.

Doc Oc has always been one of my favorite Spidey villians and this film looks like it is staying true to the original 1960s Steve Ditko version.

For the next film, I think we should have either the Lizard, the Juggernaut or the Scorpion. Venom might be cool, but they will have to do a complete rewrite of his origin. Or maybe "Spidey vs. The Hulk."

Reefer Shark
06-22-2004, 09:45 PM
I think Spidey 2 looks like it's gonna be great. I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully it's as good as the 1st one. I personally thought the 1st flick was awesome (aside from the Green Goblins "Power Rangeresque" costume).

I felt that it had a great pace (never got bored), great character development, and a great cast. Not to mention the awesome special effects, but that seems to be the norm nowadays. Although, I really enjoyed the Hulk too, so take that for what it's worth ;) . In fact, I'd say the only recent Marvel flick I didn't like was Daredevil, what a stinker that was......

For the next spidey flick though, I would like to see either Venom or Scorpion as the villan. I just dig those characters. :smoker:

Hellboy
06-23-2004, 05:15 PM
I'm getting pretty excited for this sequel. It most definitely looks better than the first film.

I've heard Curt Conners, aka The Lizard, will make a cameo in the film setting up the villain for the third installment. :cool:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-25-2004, 12:40 AM
HB- your info about Dr. Connors is correct, from what i've read. I'm curious to see how far they go into his character. Like, if he'll be the Lizard at the end or?!!? Only time will tell!!!

Has anybody else seen the TV spots for this flick?! There are several shots of Spidey fighting doc Ock, trying to stop a train and being carried lifelessly by a crowd, all without his mask on!! Jesus, i cannot wait!! :D

A few of the theaters are having midnight showings on tuesday and i'm REALLY considering going. Granted, i have to be at work at 9 am the next day, but it'd be incredibly worth it. ;)

Beast
06-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Sounds like they are already planning a Spider-Man 2.5 DVD. Which will include about 5 minutes of additional cut footage from the film. Sad when the movie isn't even out yet, and they already have 2 planned DVD releases on the horizon. :p

Raimi: Extended Spider-Man 2 Planned
Author: FRED TOPEL
videomagazine@hive4media.com
Posted: June 25, 2004

Director Sam Raimi said Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment is planning an extended cut of Spider-Man 2, to be called Spider-Man 2.5 and to be released on DVD long after the theatrical cut of Spider-Man 2 streets.

During a press conference, Raimi said he is happy with the theatrical cut, which he estimates was only trimmed by five minutes, but he previewed the sorts of moments that might be reinstated.

“There’s 10 seconds here that was a nice moment, but it’s a little slow,” Raimi said. “Let’s trim that up to keep the pace going. This is interesting, but it turns out that information in this particular scene is clear. … That’s pretty much the type of things that were cut out.”

He teased the press with one complete scene featuring actor J.K. Simmons as the Daily Bugle editor that could be included in the extended cut.

“I don’t want to tell you [about it],” he said. “It’s a surprise.”

Raimi joked that the idea of doing extended cuts puts pressure on fathers to buy their children every incarnation of a film.

“I think that their thinking is that once the dad has spent the money to take the family to the movies, and then once the dad has bought the kid the DVD, they can still smell a few more bucks from the dad’s pocket,” he joked.

Extras planned for the theatrical cut DVD include behind-the-scenes featurettes, trailers, TV spots and more standard bonus features. Raimi was not directly involved in the production of those, but does exert his approval over the material.

“I do approve these things. I watch all of them, and I say, ‘Please, let’s not incorporate that. It seems too out of character for Spider-Man’ or ‘I don’t think the kids will like this,’” he said. “I usually make some edits and suggestions in each and every piece where I try not to give away too much of the magic unless it’s necessary. But really, it’s put together by other editors and filmmakers.”

Spider-Man 2 opens theatrically this week.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediBoulton
06-28-2004, 11:44 PM
I just got out of seeing SM2 -- Below are some SERIOUS SPOILERS******
This movie was AWSOME !!! It far and away outdid SP1 by a longshot. My wife just got a job with Cadbuerry-Schewepps-Dr.Pepper. They had their premier showing here in Dallas tonight at Stonbrire Mall in Plano.

Dr. Octopus is GREAT -- the arms have a mind of their own and they control poor dr. octavious throughout the movie.

Some of what I read in the previous pages of this tread are true -- There are several people who get to see Spidy with his mask off -- particular those on the train. They comment -- he is just a kid. One even say that he is about his sons age. Once he comes to -- he realizes that he doen not have his mask on. Two little kids come up to him and tell him -- your secret is safe -- the train agrees -- they are all just happy that he is back from his absence.

M.J AND Harry Osborne both get to see who their web friend is. Some happy -- some don't really know how to take the news.

There are some guesses here that Goblin returns -- not till May 2007 -- but you know he'll be back -- daddy wants to be avenged -- he even says so.

The story line is great and the effects are right up their with SW quality.

I will be seing this one again Wednesday night for sure!!

FANS will NOT be disapointed!!! I will stop here, I have probably already said too much -- but this was the spoiler section. Have a great night!!

-Durge-
06-29-2004, 11:04 AM
Does Doc Ock die? Does Spidy or Doc cok wear diffrent costumes??

Sorry but I need to know even though I will see the movie is a few hours...

JediBoulton
06-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Doc does end up at the bottom of the lake -- but per his choice.
He ended the movie on a good note -- some may think this kinda corney -- but if you paid attention to the "message" that the movie was trying to give -- it made since, and was a great ending.

As far as costumes go -- Spidy wore the same red and blue suit that he did in the first -- but somehow -- it looked better than before. I guess this costume was a little more uncomfortable than the last one -- you will catch this later -- haha.

Doc was not in his green suit that is shown in the comics -- it was rather a trench coat with a sleevless teeshirt. This is all he was wearing when he doned the "arms" at the beginning.
Hope you enjoy the movie as much as did. Have Fun!!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-30-2004, 03:28 AM
SPOILERS
I just got in from my 12:05 am showing and i'll say this: it sucked.
.................................................. .............
.................................................. ............
.................................................. .
lol Nah, i'm just playing!!!!!!!! It was, AMAZING. This really is THE best superhero movie that i have ever had the pleasure of watching. The special effects in my opinion were flawless and just knocked my socks off. Give Dysktra and his team the oscar, right now, dammit!!! There isn't an inch of this movie I didn't love. It was great to see a struggle in the villian between good and evil. It's like while Spidey was struggling with his gifts and trying to repress what he wanted, Ock was giving in, submitting himself to what he wanted to do, in thanks to his tentacles. It provided a great struggle. Plus, this one had something that many superhero movies lack: heart. Corny, it sounds, but they really focused in on the people and the struggle that they face. Every character dealt with demons in this one and it was up to them to be the brave one and defeat, or submit to it. A brief recap of my fave moments:

- The opening credits were awesome; i LOVED how they did the drawings of scenes from the first flick. Awesome!!
-Aunt May taking the umbrella to Doc Ock. Totally unexpected and awesome.
- Harry and Peters confrontation at the reception. When Harry started slapping Peter, i nearly had tears in my eyes as it hurt me to see that.
- The entire Bank battle sequence was awesome.
- the WHOLE train sequence was PERFECT. Every aspect of it was intense and it had everybody on the edge of their seat. The scene where the train passeners carry peter and tell him they won't tell a soul was incredible. Very poetic how it was done.
- The "rain drops keep falling on my head" thing with Peter and how they did the freeze frame at the end, was just hilarious.
-anybody else think that Aunt May knows the truth? She gave a few looks when she was moving out of her place that just gave me the impression that she knows what is going on.
- the scene w/ Bruce Campbell was hysterical. Only that man could've delivered those lines with such tact and yet....to be such an a-hole!!! Also, "Evil dead" fans look out for a small sorta tribute to the ED films
- The cameo by Stan Lee when he yet again saves people from debris got a huge ovation from the crowd. It was awesome to see that.
- The scenes where Peter "talked" to Uncle Ben and Harry "talked" to Norman was TOTALLY unexpected and great. I wish that we would've gotten a small voiceover with the "With great power comes great responsibility" when Peter gets his act together, but i guess it wasn't needed. Also, hearing the Goblins laugh and then watching Harry descent into madness and into the goblins lair was great. It was also creepy how he gave a small smug look at the end.
-J Jonah was hilarious in this flick. I loved the scene where he nearly sounds sorry for being a putz, but it all goes to ruins! great!!

I won't go in depth now asi have to work in 6 hours, but it was brilliant. Bravo Sam, tobey, Kirsten, Alfred and the crew. You have finally brought the true essence of a superhero to life. Superpowers and emotions, finally, merged as one. Cheers!! :D

JediBoulton
06-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Very well Put -- SO -- when are you going to see it again -- I am going tomorrow night!!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Saw a midnight screening of it as well. That movie is amazing (just like Spidy ;) ). If the second is a sign of what's to expect, no doubt the third is gonna be great.

Beast
06-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Ok, Spidey 2 officially rocked my world. Loved the film, it was so much better then the first. Doc Ock makes Green Gobby look like a cheesy power rangers villian, but that's mostly due to the Goblin costume. I see where they are going with Spidey 3, and cannot wait for the movie. It's gonna kick major arse. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
06-30-2004, 09:57 PM
I just got back from seeing this movie and I too loved it. Far better than the first and a great continuation of the overall story. I wouldn't go as far as some and say it's my favorite comic book movie ever but I really enjoyed this movie nonetheless.

The thing that really impressed me was the amount of emotion it contained. So many movies are lacking in this department, The Punisher comes to mind, that is was nice to see it done right for once. Peter's personal sacrifice really was the focal point of the whole film and I think it made for an interesting story.

You really have to give credit to Sam Raimi. There are so many little things that he included here that pay homage to the stories so many of us grew up reading in the comic book series that you might not catch them all in one viewing. I would so love to see Raimi's take on another Marvel superhero after his run on Spider-Man is over. After his work and Brian Singer's on the X-Men films it should be a prerequisite that you have to be a fan of the source material in order to helm these films.

Beast
06-30-2004, 10:03 PM
After his work and Brian Singer's on the X-Men films it should be a prerequisite that you have to be a fan of the source material in order to helm these films.
Don't you mean, you don't have to be fan of the source material in order to helm the films. Remember that before Brian Singer got the X-Men directing job, he'd never really read the comics. He ended up watching the entire 90's animated X-Men series to get a feeling for the universe. :)

MTFBWy and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
06-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Don't you mean, you don't have to be fan of the source material in order to helm the films. Remember that before Brian Singer got the X-Men directing job, he'd never really read the comics. He ended up watching the entire 90's animated X-Men series to get a feeling for the universe. :)

MTFBWy and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Singer may not have experienced the comics when they were first published but that doesn't mean he isn't a fan of the source material. The fact that he based the majority of X2's plot on Chris Claremont's 1982 "God Loves, Man Kills" graphic novel is proof of that. Singer may have started with the cartoon but he eventually went back and tapped into what really made the X-Men great in the material that came before the 90's cartoon series.

I didn't start reading X-Men until Uncanny was on about issue #170 and I went back and read everything that predated that issue in one form or another. Does that mean the guy who started reading from issue #1 has more of an appreciation or is a bigger fan of the earlier work than I am?

Tycho
07-01-2004, 03:58 AM
Al Gogh and Miles Millar (spelling) of SMALLVILLE's creators and best writers wrote this because of how well they've handled the WB's young Superman show.

They did a bang-up outstanding job!

The parallels between Harry and his father and in Smallville, Lex and his father, the tragic (doesn't want to be a...) Villain and many of Smallville's meteor freaks-of-the-week, and Peter and his Uncle's and Aunt's lessons like Clark and the Kent family were all there.

These writers are brilliant (but prove the same formula can work twice).

I was very surprised at the end that Mary Jane learned Spiderman was Peter and that they were going to give it all a try.

In Smallville, Lana still doesn't know Clark's secret, though they had gotten together for a while, and Clark wanted to break it off for the same reasons Peter did (to protect the girl he loves).

So SPIDY-FANS, does Jamison's son the astronaut become a famous SPIDY-VILLAIN in any comic books? I could see them taking the franchise in that direction later - especially when if Spiderman kills Jamison's son, he'll really have reason to hate him.

Hey, anybody dig that elevator scene when the guy says "Nice Spiderman costume. Isn't it uncomfortable?" That was classic. My friends and I were laughing so hard.

I liked Peter as just Peter going into the burning building.

The Train Fight was incredible.

Octavious was played so well. He really was a sympathetic villain - and what happened to his wife and everything - his struggle to take command of his obsessions (symbolized by his tentacles) that was incredibly written, directed, and very well acted!

My Spidey-sense is tingling! I'm going to see it again! (and watch the first one when I get off this web - and back to "the old one.")

Beast
07-01-2004, 04:50 AM
So SPIDY-FANS, does Jamison's son the astronaut become a famous SPIDY-VILLAIN in any comic books? I could see them taking the franchise in that direction later - especially when if Spiderman kills Jamison's son, he'll really have reason to hate him.
Yes, in the original comics John Jameson became the Man-Wolf. I actually thought they might have hinted that he already was him, when he goes to embrace Mary Jane he makes an impressive jump from the dock over to where she's standing. While the cops remain back on the dock. Here's a couple bios on Man-Wolf:

http://webhome.idirect.com/~twessner/man-wolf/manwolf.htm
http://www.toonopedia.com/man-wolf.htm
http://www.samruby.com/Villains/ManWolf/manwolf.htm
http://www.spidervillain.com/Villains/ManWolf/ManWolf.html
http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/manwolf.html

Also in the 90's Spider-Man cartoon, it was a return trip from Mars (I believe) that brought the Venom Symbiote back on the space shuttle. The shuttle went out of control when the symbiote escaped and attecked the crew. It crashed into a bridge, but Spider-Man was able to stop it from killing anyone. Though the symbiote latched onto his costume. Leading to the Black Costume and then to Venom.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
07-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks JarJar, though Doc Oc seems like he has the best story behind him of all the Spidy-villains. You think?

Beast
07-01-2004, 11:15 AM
*SOME SPOILERS*

Well, Doc Ock is the #2 main baddy in the Spidey franchise. Green Goblin and Venom take the other two slots typically. I think they should take some of the minor villians and basically do a 'Sinister Six' story for Spidey 3. Have our two main big bads, and then have 4 other minors that won't take a lot of development. Just have the other four be people hired by Harry.

Hobgoblin - Main Villian
Lizard - Secondary Villian

And then the other four of the Sinister Six, secondary characters that don't need a lot of development beyond a montage scene of Harry giving them their powers/suits.

Mysterio - (Bruce Campbell, like in the Ultimate Spidy movie story)
Scorpion
Shocker
Vulture

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rocketboy
07-01-2004, 01:11 PM
No multiple villians! Look what it did to the Batman series! It makes the plot feel rushed. With 1 villian you can give him much more depth. If we had 2 in Spidey 2, there probably would've so much less of both Doc Ock's story and Peter's toubles.

Tycho
07-01-2004, 01:16 PM
So Doc Oc never died in the comics franchise.

But I guess he is dead for the movies? I think his character went out being true to Dr. Octavious' character as portrayed by this movie. (So I'd leave him dead).

I thought for a moment that maybe Spiderman would try to save him...but.

You really felt sympathy for this man and what he went through.

I don't think Osbourne (Green Goblin / William DaFoe) broke much empathy from viewers for his character - he was an ambitious man to begin with, though we didn't get to know him all THAT well during the first movie, before Green Goblin was already in him.

But I loved SPIDEY1 as well. I think they are doing a brilliant job with this franchise.

Spiderman 1 and 2 were both awesome
X2 was even better than X-men
I liked The Hulk tremendously and hope for a sequel from the same group that made it.

Smallville is my loyal and hoped-for ONLY source for Superman movies. Tom Welling better be cast as the Man of Steel, but they should probably wait to let the show run its course. It will be 4th Season next September. I think shows are supposed to run 5 years minimal for good syndication? Well then in 2006 (Summer) we can have a Superman movie done the way it should be.

That leaves Batman. What a problem!

Batman is probably the coolest Superhero since he's so dark and vigilante. I liked Michael Keaton in the role and thought the first 2 films were great: Jack Nicholson, Michelle Pheiffer, Danny DeVito - nice job casting.

It all went downhill from there.

Val Kilmer was too young (then) to play Bruce Wayne. George Clooney was actually better, but Michael Keaton just had the psychopathic edge to him that helped make him a convincing Bruce Wayne. But I like franchises that commit to one storyline and one set of cast members (except in cases like Anakin Skywalker where the age difference is so extreme, you can't help it).

TwoFace / Harvey Dent could have stayed consistent with BillyDee Williams - or if they'd planned ahead, been Tommy Lee Jones in the first place.

Jim Kerry made a great Riddler. Chris O'Donnel a cool Robin. Uma Thurman was awesome as Poison Ivy, Arnold did a very good job as Mr. Freeze, surprisingly.

Alicia Silverstone didn't know what she was doing. Her and the Two-Face mixup, plus Batman himself being recasted, all hurt this franchise.

I don't know much about the new movie based on Bruce's story, but I hope it either restarts a new consistant continuity, or doesn't interfere with the existing one (if you can call it that).

Spidey, X-men, Hulk - they're all being done right.

They better keep Superman consistant with Smallville!

Beast
07-01-2004, 06:07 PM
I think we will get two villians in Spider-Man 3. One will just be a subplot though, similar to the whole Aunt May/Mary Jane subplot in Spider-Man 2. Since Kurt Connors had plenty of character development, may as well do Lizard and Hobgolbin (or Green Golbin II) as the villians next movie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-02-2004, 02:36 AM
Wow, Spider-Man 2 earned 40.5 Million in one day. :eek: :greedy:

'Spider-Man 2' Takes in Record $40.5M
Thu Jul 1, 8:21 PM ET By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer

LOS ANGELES - "Spider-Man 2" took in $40.5 million in its first day, a record debut that positions the film to challenge more box-office highs through the Fourth of July weekend.

"We are off to a phenomenal start on what looks to be a magical six days for `Spider-Man 2,'" Jeff Blake, vice chairman of the film's distributor Sony, said Thursday.

Ticket sales Wednesday surpassed the previous debut record of $39.4 million that the original "Spider-Man" grossed in its first day two years ago.

Factoring in rising admission prices over the last two years, though, the sequel sold a few hundred thousand fewer tickets. The new movie also played wider, in 4,152 theaters, 537 more than "Spider-Man."

"Spider-Man 2" could go on to shatter other debut records, including the best three-day weekend gross of $114.8 million for "Spider-Man," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

With the long holiday weekend, the film likely will set a record for biggest first six days, topping the $146.9 million haul for last year's "The Matrix Reloaded," Dergarabedian said.

On Friday or Saturday, the film also might have a shot at breaking the single-day gross record held by "Shrek 2," which raked in $44.8 million in its second day. "Shrek 2" also holds the record for highest gross in its first five days at $129 million, another mark "Spider-Man 2" could approach.

The opening-day figure for "Spider-Man 2" was more remarkable since it came on a Wednesday, when business is slower than on weekends. The first "Spider-Man" debuted on a Friday.

"We're in uncharted territory looking at midweek numbers this big," Dergarabedian said. "I remember when $40 million was a big opening weekend for a movie not that long ago, and now that's a single day in the middle of the week."

The best previous debut for a movie opening on Wednesday was $34.5 million last December for "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King."

With "Spider-Man" filmmaker Sam Raimi returning to direct, the sequel has received almost universally good reviews.

Tobey Maguire is back as the Marvel Comics superhero, a brooding college kid struggling to make ends meet and juggle long nights of crime fighting with the demands of school. Kirsten Dunst (news), James Franco and other key cast members also are back, and Alfred Molina co-stars as Spider-Man's new nemesis, Doc Ock.

Maguire's casting initially turned some heads in Hollywood, since he was a rising serious actor who did not fit the usual mold of the beefy movie superhero. The $403.7 million domestic total for "Spider-Man" silenced any casting critics.

"He's not about the brawn. It's about the pathos and brain," Dergarabedian said. "Tobey Maguire had credibility as an actor going in, and he hasn't lost any credibility by doing `Spider-Man.' "Seabiscuit' came out after `Spider-Man,' and he's so good that when you saw him in that movie, you didn't go, `Oh, that's just Spider-Man on a horse.'"

Sony originally scheduled "Spider-Man 2" to debut the Friday before July 4, then moved it up two days to get a jump on the holiday weekend.

With many people off work Monday, the film should draw big audiences that day. Business on Sunday might be slow, though, since that's the Fourth of July, when many people will opt for barbecues, parades and fireworks displays instead of going to the movies.

A rainy Sunday might boost business, but Rory Bruer, Sony's head of distribution, said, "I'm not praying for rain."

"We've had such astounding reviews throughout the country, and I think people are totally keyed in to what an incredible film Sam Raimi has delivered," Bruer said. "Come rain or shine, they want to come see this movie."
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

aceguide
07-02-2004, 08:59 AM
Great post JJB - that means only $160 million to break even!

I did put my $ into the franchise last night and I have to say I was impressed. I would say a far superior movie to the first.

mabudonicus
07-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Holy Crow.....

I was totally floored by this flick, I agree totally with every positive comment so far and so will not repeat them...

Not mentioned so far, Jameson's comment about Doc Ock "A guy named Otto Octavius, what are the odds of that??" TOTALLY hilarious, and humour was perfectly placed between the totally poignant bits....

I must say, I like films funny; usually emotional bits are cheeesy and maudlin to the point where I almost feel embarassed, but this film somehow did it perfectly, I was literally choked up more times than I can count

*spoliers*

When Harry finally "figures out" the spiderman secret..... whoah, that scene was inTENSE....

Similarly when Doc Ock finds out Spidey's identity, "Brilliant but Lazy" SO SWEET

And like Guyute said, (I think), you could sorta tell right from the opening credits, the way it sorta "canonized" the first film, it was gorgeous, compared to the "look at our new software" style openings a lot of films seem to have these days

So there, I said it, the darn film made me cry :beard:

TOTALLY AMAZING..... I, too, believe that this film is the finest superhero film ever

Tycho
07-02-2004, 11:41 AM
I had this wild TWIST idea for Spiderman 3.

It's obvious that it will be Peter vs. Harry (Spidey vs. HobGoblin). It's all set up perfectly and it will hurt so bad to see these 2 best friends fight after all they did for each other.

Well, what if....

Since Peter will feel guilty for what happened to Harry because of how his father died, Spiderman will do everything he can to save Harry and keep him alive, even after they fight - perhaps landing him in jail, or maybe a web-prison.

Spiderman tries to destroy the HobGoblin uniform and the mask, and every last remnant of the evil costume, but instead, the Ghost of Mr. Osbourne prompts PETER to put on the HobGoblin costume and cause chaos as HobGoblin gets all of Spiderman's abilities because he is BOTH of them!

Harry gets free or is freed from jail by Peter as the HobGoblin trying in his own twisted way to still honor their friendship.

But Harry realizes what the Mask is doing and has to bring himself to help Peter stop what's happened to him or the Spider-Goblin will become the worst terror New York has ever known.

In the end the Goblin uniform and all its memory is destroyed, and Spiderman and Harry Osbourne's reputations are restored, as is their friendship.

THAT to me would make a powerful movie with great messages.

Rocketboy
07-02-2004, 11:42 AM
I did put my $ into the franchise last night and I have to say I was impressed. I would say a far superior movie to the first.Exactly...Spidey 2 was good.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Tycho- no way in hell Peter would put the mask on, even if Normans ghost were to appear. Are you kidding me?!?! Peter got tempted Norman ("be a son to me") at the end of Spidey 1 and i don't see him getting fooled by Normans ghost. In spidey 2, Peter understands that he needs to be using his powers for good, even if it causes problems for him. I don't see ANY chance of peter going sour. That would completely ruin the franchise. :)

jjreason
07-02-2004, 01:43 PM
I got to go last night, and was very happy with the movie. I was kind of hoping they were working towards Pete designing some web shooters for himself, but I've put my gripes with that issue behind me. I'm also coming to grips with the fact that "movie Spidey" is quite a bit stronger than "comic Spidey" - I had a little difficulty with the stopping of the train, but I can live with it. The fighting between him and Ock was really, really fast and furious - gorgeous.

I felt that Raimi was insinuating quite strongly that Aunt May was on to Peter's secret in that one scene with the neighbor boy, another faithful and well thought out touch. Anyone could see that #3 was going to be Harry vs Pete 10 miles away, and I'm happy they decided to set that up so well. I was a little surprised at the reveal of the secret identity in such a widespread manner, but it really does move the plot along very well. I was mentally screaming at PP to tell MJ so I'm glad it got dealt with. I'm hoping to see a much more confident Peter in #3, and an increase in the "snappy banter" during the fights.

All in all, I'm very pleased after one viewing, but am concerned about them killing off villains in every movie - they're going to run out of first rate baddies too soon if they keep that up. I think the first 3 will form a really nice, complete trilogy and will hopefully leave lots of room for the continuation of the series.

Beast
07-02-2004, 02:11 PM
Well, Norman Osbourne can always come back from the dead. He did in the comics, after he was impaled by his glider. His goblin venom or whatever it was in the comics that gave him his power, also gave him a limited healing factor. And Doc Ock could always come back also. We saw him go down under the water, but we don't know for sure he ended up dieing. After all, as soon as he'd loose consciousness from a lack of oxygen he wouldn't be able to resist his tentacles anymore.

So...anyone else get the feeling that Aunt May knows for sure that Peter is Spider-Man. Just from how she was acting, especially when she's telling Peter that the world needs heroes. I think just like the comics, she knows.....but won't admit she knows. I think for sure she put 2 and 2 together with the events at the bank, and Peter admitting that he's responsible for Uncle Ben's death. She's just keeping quiet on it, because she knows that Peter will give it up if she knew.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
07-02-2004, 05:07 PM
So...anyone else get the feeling that Aunt May knows for sure that Peter is Spider-Man. Just from how she was acting, especially when she's telling Peter that the world needs heroes. I think just like the comics, she knows.....but won't admit she knows. I think for sure she put 2 and 2 together with the events at the bank, and Peter admitting that he's responsible for Uncle Ben's death. She's just keeping quiet on it, because she knows that Peter will give it up if she knew.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

i'm thinking she knows too......but so do 50 other people, including harry and mary jane. :D

i don't follow the comics at all, and was wondering how close the movie is to them.

were there 2 green goblins in the comics, a father and son, as it now appears there will be in the movies?

i've heard mary jane dies in the comics, and saw kirsten dunst saying she only wants to do three films......so i guess she'll get killed in the next movie?

did spiderman ever lose his powers in the comics?

Beast
07-02-2004, 05:25 PM
i'm thinking she knows too......but so do 50 other people, including harry and mary jane. :D

i don't follow the comics at all, and was wondering how close the movie is to them.

were there 2 green goblins in the comics, a father and son, as it now appears there will be in the movies?

i've heard mary jane dies in the comics, and saw kirsten dunst saying she only wants to do three films......so i guess she'll get killed in the next movie?

did spiderman ever lose his powers in the comics?
Yeah, but that's just doing what Ultimate X-Men did with Spider-Man. The fact that it would be nearly impossible to really hide a secret idenity in the real world. Just due to various circumstances, the Ultimate Spidey has had his idenity revealed to normal people quite a lot.

Yes, Harry did take on the mantle of the second Green Goblin in the comics. Though I think the movie will call him Hobgoblin. Because the comic Hobgoblin was pretty crappy. He was driven to insanity by witnessing his father and Spidey's battle that resulted in Normon's death. When he found the Spidey suit in Peter's room, he became the second Green Goblin and tried to kill him.

Nope, Mary Jane didn't die. That was Gwen Stacy. The Green Goblin dropped her off the bridge, and Spidey webbed her to save her. But the sudden stop broke her neck. The Spidey movies have basically rolled Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane, and Kristine Saunders (John Jameson's Fiancee) into one character. Not everyone is happy with it, but it's better then making it too complex. And since Gwen's been dead for so long in 616 comics, most newer fans wouldn't really know her. Best to stick with just Mary Jane.

Yep, Spider-Man has lost his powers a few times in the comics. I don't recall the exact reason and happenings that caused it though. And he's also given up being Spider-Man before also, the whole throwing the costume away and trying to live a normal life for a while in the comics. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Reefer Shark
07-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Hey Derek,
There were two goblins in the comics: Green Goblin, and his son the Hobgoblin.

I dont think Mary Jane ever died in the comics. If she did, they resurrected her 'cause she's still running around in the comics. Gwen Stacy died though..

I'm not sure if Spidey ever lost his powers in the comics, but I'd say it's highly probable (since most super heroes seem to lose their powers at one point or another).

Reefer Shark
07-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Yeah, but that's just doing what Ultimate X-Men did with Spider-Man. The fact that it would be nearly impossible to really hide a secret idenity in the real world. Just due to various circumstances.

Yes, Harry did take on the mantle of the second Green Goblin in the comics. He was driven to insanity by witnessing his father and Spidey's battle that resulted in Normon's death. When he found the Spidey suit in Peter's room, he became the second Green Goblin and tried to kill him.

Nope, Mary Jane didn't die. That was Gwen Stacy. The Green Goblin dropped her off the bridge, and Spidey webbed her to save her. But the sudden stop broke her neck. The Spidey movies have basically rolled Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane, and Kristine Saunders (John Jameson's Fiancee) into one character.

Yep, Spider-Man has lost his powers a few times in the comics. I don't recall the exact reason and happenings that caused it though. And he's also given up being Spider-Man before also, the whole throwing the costume away and trying to live a normal life for a while in the comics. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Ha Ha ! You beat me by one minute JJB!

Your reply is much more informative too :smoker:

Beast
07-02-2004, 05:34 PM
There's actually been 4 Green Goblins, and 4 Hobgoblins. The comics have been a bit wonky with all the various people running around with the same identity.

http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/greengoblin1.html
http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/greengoblin2.html
http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/greengoblin3.html
http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/greengoblin4.html

http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/hobgoblin1.html
http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/hobgoblin2.html
http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/hobgoblin3.html
http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/hobgoblin4.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
07-02-2004, 06:07 PM
thanks guys! :)

i just read a review that said peter's professor(doc ock's friend) from spidey 2 was a lizard creature in the comics? y'all think spidey 3 will have more than one villan?

are they gonna do the black suit spiderman/monster spiderman ever?

Beast
07-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Yep, Peter's Professor was Dr. Kurt Conners, aka 'The Lizard'. And I do believe we'll see both Green Goblin 2/Hobgoblin and The Lizard in Spidey 3. Since Harry Osbourne and Kurt Conners are already well established, we won't have to deal with a lot of origins for either of them. And it would be a great way to wrap up Sam Raimi's work on the series. With Spidey forced to battle both his best friend and his College Professor. Not wanting to hurt either one, but knowing that he has to do it, to protect innocents and those he cares about. :)

As for Black Costume/Venom? There is certainly the oppertunity there. But I don't think that Sam will do it. Because he's already set this up as a trilogy that will focus on Spider-Man growing up as a character. And with the whole Norman/Harry Osbourne story that's playing out. So while I could see Venom in the movies someday, I don't think it will happen in Spider-Man 3. Too much other stuff to deal with. And they wouldn't be able to do the comic 'Secret Wars' origins anyway. I wouldn't be suprised if they did a variation of the Animated Series origins, with John Jameson and the shuttle crash. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
07-02-2004, 06:45 PM
thanks jar jar.:)

do you think we'll eventually have a different actor playing spiderman? i saw an interview with tobey mcgwire, and he seemed hesitant to do a 3rd film, but finally said he would play the part, but didn't seem to want to do more.

whatever they do, i hope they keep up the quality and don't go the way of the last two batman movies.

plo koon 200
07-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Spoilers

Hey JarJar I have a question for you. I used to read the comic but quit. I know issue 200 Mary Jane marries Peter, right? Issue 300 Venom appears. Issue 400 Aunt May dies. What happens in issues 500 and 600 and also did any important events happen after issue 400 besides Norman coming back from the dead and dying again. And, what happened to Peter's kid.

Beast
07-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Well, the Aunt May that died was revealed to be an imposter. And the real Aunt May come back somehow, but I forget it was. I think someone had her in stasis or something. 500 was a time travelish one, where Peter was given the chance to stop himself from ever being bitten by the Spider. I don't think they are at 600 yet.

http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/reviews/spiderman_amazing/500.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plo koon 200
07-03-2004, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the info. I wished they kept her dead. She was getting old. Don't tell me the imposter was a clone. The one thing I did not like about the mid-90's comic series is that it revealed that everyone that died was a clone and then Parker was a clone but wasn't but Ben Reily wasn't a clone but was who was a father of a clone (okay, I'm exaggerating at that point). It was too much like Jerry Springer.

Beast
07-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Nope, not a clone. She was a DNA modified actress hired by Normon Osbourne. :)

http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/aunt_may.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-03-2004, 10:47 PM
My buddy and i were debating this: what do you think of MJ's expression at the end of the film? I took it more as she's really worried about Peter and will be scared for him at times. I've also heard thoughts that she's kinda regretting leaving her wedding. Either way, i think it spells disaster for them, sadly. i'd love to hear some thoughts on this. :D

Turambar
07-06-2004, 09:55 AM
I'll have to watch it again to see the expression. I cant imagine her regretting it, though, since she'd been wanting to get in spidey's pants since the first time he saved her.
This was definitely the best movie I've seen in a long time. Great acting, great writing, great everything. I think Doc Oc would have stolen the show in a lesser film, but in this setting, Molina fit in perfectly with all the other strong performances. Amazing action sequences, too. But they weren't done just for the sake of action, rather to show the danger, and the reflexes, and abilities of the hero and villain sqaring off against one another.
Two thumbs up!

dr_evazan22
07-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Saw a crappy bootleg version over the weekend, and it just makes me want to go see it all the more.

One thing that stinks about this being a movie franchise is that more elements from the comics can't be brought in. I think it would be cool at this point to havea character like Black Cat come along.

I hope that they make it the Green Goblin in 3 and not Hobby. Hobby would be a good character to bring in later on down the line, like 6 or 7. And also, they need to redo the Goblin costume so its more like the comic version. The armor version, IMO, just sucked, and it was one of my biggest issues with Spiderman 1. When the redone mask is off, have it nice and flimsy like in the comic. When he puts it on, have the actor in a prosthetic mask that can show the mouth moving and show more emotion.

RooJay
07-12-2004, 10:06 PM
I understand that there is a lot of confusion about the whole Green Goblin/Hobgoblin thing - when I was leaving the theater after seeing it for the first time, there was a guy in his thirties watching the movie with what must've been his dad. I overheard the younger man commenting to his father how "the guy MJ was going to marry" (John Jameson) "is going to become Venom later on", and "the Green Goblin's son, Harry, is going to be the Hobgoblin". At least he tried to sound knowledgeable when explaining things to his father. I didn't want to undermine the relationship moment they seemed to be having by letting my inner geek out to set them straight. Harry Osborn/Green Goblin is a completely different character than the Hobgoblin, and John Jameson later becomes the Man-Wolf in the comics. Of course, we all know that it's reporter Eddie Brock who becomes Venom.

I'm kind of hoping we might see a few cameos from some of Spidey's other villains in the next movie. The plot needn't focus on them, but it might be nice to catch glimpses of other baddies. I'd like to see maybe Mysterio, Scorpion, The Vulture and maybe Rhino. I'm thinking most of them could be done real cheap as CG effects in a villain-bashing montage of sorts! :D

Pendo
07-15-2004, 07:09 PM
All I can say about this movie is "WOW"!

I knew it was going to be good, I didn't realise it was going to be THAT good :D! What an amazing sequel! It may go up there along Godfather Part 2, and TESB and one of the few sequels that was better than the original (and no starting any TESB is not a sequel debate)!

Can't wait for the DVD :D!

PENDO!

RooJay
07-22-2004, 03:49 PM
I still wish they had given a few nods to some of the other Marvel heroes. It's a shame they couldn't have thrown in a few Daily Bugle covers in the background with mentions of The Avengers or something. I know the rights to a lot of Marvel heroes are tied up with a lot of different studios, but I think they could've gotten away with it if they were sly, and it'd have been a great little nod to the fans. Not to mention that it might help to give a bit of a sense of Spidey being part of a much larger world.

El Chuxter
07-22-2004, 04:09 PM
This would've been the perfect comic movie with one minor change:

When MJ shows up in Peter's door in the end, she should've said, "Face it, Tiger. You just hit the jackpot."

JediTricks
07-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Except it wouldn't really fit with the tone of the film at all, and Kirsten Dunst would be even creepier with those lines. (Although her horrible face and posture really is too much for me to accept her as MJ anyway)

Hellboy
07-23-2004, 09:14 PM
It think it was cool that she did at least call him "tiger" once in the movie, but yeah Kirsten Dunst is one of the few things I didn't like in this sequel. She bothered me in the first but here she's much worse and we're supposed to believe she's a model? :rolleyes:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-25-2004, 12:10 AM
It think it was cool that she did at least call him "tiger" once in the movie, but yeah Kirsten Dunst is one of the few things I didn't like in this sequel. She bothered me in the first but here she's much worse and we're supposed to believe she's a model? :rolleyes:

actually, my friend, in the comics she's a model. In the films, as of right now at least, she's an actress. ;)

mabudonicus
07-25-2004, 11:45 AM
I just saw it again yesterday and it was somehow even better....

The "little touch" that I think made it perfect was the Steven Colbert cameo, surprised no-one else mentioned it :beard:

JediTricks
07-25-2004, 09:49 PM
actually, my friend, in the comics she's a model. In the films, as of right now at least, she's an actress. ;)
She's a model too, that's why her face is on the billboard ads.

El Chuxter
07-26-2004, 11:27 AM
I just saw it again yesterday and it was somehow even better....

The "little touch" that I think made it perfect was the Steven Colbert cameo, surprised no-one else mentioned it :beard:

Wha-wha-WHAT?!? I missed that, though I did see the annoying guy from VH1's "I Love the Fill-in-the-blank" in the elevator scene. And Ash popped up again. I guess he lost his job as an announcer and moved to bouncing. :D

JediTricks
07-27-2004, 01:13 AM
Hal Sparks in the elevator was really funny, a great change of pace that gave Spidey an extra shot of humor and humanity.

mabudonicus
07-30-2004, 11:59 AM
Wha-wha-WHAT?!? I missed that

Yeah, I thought I imagined it the first time, had to see it again... the first scene with the awful yoko-ono-type singing woman, Colbert grabs a paper from the newstand then walks into the foreground out of the shot, you can sorta see how hard he is trying to forget that he's in the film, it's funny

Hellboy
08-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Columbia Tristar Entertainment has just announced that the street date for the Spider-Man 2 DVD will be Tuesday Nov. 30th. :cool:

The Spider-Man 2 two-disc DVD, arriving just in time for the holidays, will be available in wide and full screen versions. Other SKUs available will be a DVD two-pack of the original Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 (in both wide and full screen two-packs) and a Spider-Man 2 Superbit DVD. Also available is a collectible gift set containing the Spider-Man 2 widescreen DVD, a postcard collection of Spider-Man 2 artwork, exclusive limited edition 25-page comic book artists' portfolio, collectible "concept-to-screen" comparison portfolio and a reprint of the Marvel comic book, The Amazing Spider-Man #50, titled "Spider-Man No More."

The Spider-Man 2 two-disc DVD is loaded with more than ten hours of all new content and includes an exclusive 12-part documentary on the making of Spider-Man 2, a groundbreaking multi-angle behind-the-scenes featurette on the making of the action-packed sequence on the Pier, director and talent commentaries, bloopers and more.

http://www.superherohype.com/spider-man/index.php?id=1901

If you want a more comprehensive breakdown of what extras to expect follow the link to SHH. :)

SithDroid
08-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Ok I have a question and I hope someone can help me out. Does anyone know the name of the "classical song" that is used in the Spider-man 2 Trailer? Is it Beethoven, Bach, etc.... or is this something that was made just for the trailer and if not then how can I get a copy of it? Not the Preview trailer, the second trailer that was released.

Tycho
08-21-2004, 07:54 PM
I own a DVD player.

I also own a VCR. (imagine that!)

I want to know about Spiderman 2 coming out on VHS because:

1) it will be cheaper
2) I don't care about extras, listening to commentary, deleted scenes from Spiderman
3) My Spiderman 1 is on VHS, and this will go with my VHS collection.

I have all the Star Wars prequels on DVD and VHS.

Usually I watch the DVDs because they are less "perishable" - however I do NOT skip from scene to scene when I want to watch a movie, SW included. So that feature of DVDs doesn't interest me that much either.

I have Smallville, The Shield, and Star Wars on DVD, and plan on getting the OT on DVD, as well as The Matrix Trilogy.

My Star Trek is on VHS, however if Enterprise is released, I'll get that on DVD and I might go and buy all the movies only, on DVD, but I doubt it as I do not watch them enough to merit that.

With Star Wars, I can use the DVD in my computer to image capture backgrounds for my toy dioramas, so that's an advantage.

I have a great S-VHS VCR with Dolby Digital and RCA cable feed connections. I truly do not see a difference in picture or sound quality between DVD and VHS, or I don't care enough to pay attention to that.

But for me, I'd be most interested to know when Spiderman 2 will be available on VHS.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-22-2004, 12:00 AM
Ok I have a question and I hope someone can help me out. Does anyone know the name of the "classical song" that is used in the Spider-man 2 Trailer? Is it Beethoven, Bach, etc.... or is this something that was made just for the trailer and if not then how can I get a copy of it? Not the Preview trailer, the second trailer that was released.

SD- I was curious about this myself as i love that tune and if i remember correctly, i think Elfman used parts of a song and then put his own touches on it. I can't be for sure, but if you go to yahoo and type in something like "spider-man 2 trailer song" it should pop up. If i get time, i'll check later and try to get more info. I'd also check something like Kazaa or morpheus as they're bound to have the music for sharing. best of luck! :D

Edit: alright, here is what i found out from adtunes: This week, the highly anticpated extended Spider-Man 2 trailer premiered during NBC's The Apprentice. Sporting more music tracks than Doc Ock has tentacles, the ad is a good example of the different kinds of sources used for trailer music - none of which being the original Spider-Man soundtrack. For Spiderman 2, the trailer music includes pieces of Adam Freeland's "Burn the Clock", Celldweller's "Switchback", clips from The Last Samurai (the track "Ronin") and Plunkett & Macleane (the track "Hanging") soundtracks, and an original music cue from the production music service.

Alright, i went to yahoo and shopped for music and listened to 30 second clips of each song (that they had available) and here is what i found out:

"hanging"- the first few seconds of the track are the few seconds of the trailer ("i believe there's a hero in all of us")
"Burn the clock"- i listened to a 30 second clip and i can't figure out where this piece is in the trailer.
"Ronin"- For some reason, i think this MIGHT be the classical sounding piece that is loved by the fans, but the song is only 1:53, so i'm not totally sure.
"Switchback"- i watched the video for this tune at their site and it's that rockin' piece that is briefly played as they show Spidey web slinging through the trailer/semi.

hope this helps! :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-24-2004, 02:20 AM
SHH has posted images for the DVD's! These are all pretty much the cover of the soundtrack as well as that one poster that read, "Sacrifice." Overall, i'm stoked! :crazed:

http://superherohype.com/spider-man/index.php?id=1908

Tycho
01-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Man, how things change. 3 years later and I only buy DVDs and VHS is gone off the shelves everywhere I can think of! (See my post above where I wanted Spider-Man 2 on VHS).

I did get / own my copy of Spidey 2 on VHS and though I have a great VCR and the picture quality of the tapes marketed in the last years for VHS were really good, I get a popping sound on the audio. Maybe it was just the way the tape adjusted as I put it in the VCR overnight before I ever had a chance to watch it.

Anyway, I still thoroughly enjoyed Spider-Man 2! What a drama (it was at many a time)! Dr. Octavius was really well developed as a character and quite well-redeemed himself at the end of the movie in a heroic fashion.

The action was really good - the elevated train scene at the top of the list - gosh that plays great on a big screen (I have a 52 inch).

Anyway, the Spidey films I might actually start to watch enough of that I may go out and buy the DVDs at last (I'm obviously not going to have a choice of the format on which I own Spidey 3).

It's amazing how technology keeps outdating everything though, as HD-DVD is now the new format becoming popularized. Knowing me, I'll probably turn to that in 2013 when you guys are all watching 3D-holograms, LOL.

JediTricks
01-24-2007, 10:53 PM
I like this movie, but I feel like the villain wasn't quite bringing the story's A-game and the movie suffers a little for it. Doc Ock really never was that big crazy scary villain anyway, so the movie did the right thing focusing on Spidey even more, but I felt like they tried to have it too much both ways with Octavius being a compassionate badguy who's not really responsible for his actions because the computer limbs are taking over his brain, and in the end he's still a good guy at heart. It's an ok character arc I guess, but one I felt lacking in impact.

Tycho
01-25-2007, 10:54 PM
I felt like they tried to have it too much both ways with Octavius being a compassionate badguy who's not really responsible for his actions because the computer limbs are taking over his brain, and in the end he's still a good guy at heart.

See, I felt that's what made this film so original. You didn't have a magalo-maniac stereotype for a bad guy (like Norman Oswald - as entertaining as he was). And I really felt like Doc Ock played almost like an anti-Hero such that if he'd survived and gained control of his artificial limbs, he might've joined some kind of Marvel version of the Justice League.

Octavious was a great character!

Rocketboy
01-25-2007, 11:18 PM
(like Norman Oswald - as entertaining as he was).Who's Norman Oswald?

Tycho
01-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Who's Norman Oswald?

Whatever Willem Dafoe's character was named? Norman Osbourne? Ozzy Osbourne? The Green Goblin OK?

JediTricks
01-28-2007, 04:48 AM
See, I felt that's what made this film so original. You didn't have a magalo-maniac stereotype for a bad guy (like Norman Oswald - as entertaining as he was). And I really felt like Doc Ock played almost like an anti-Hero such that if he'd survived and gained control of his artificial limbs, he might've joined some kind of Marvel version of the Justice League.

Octavious was a great character!I disagree, I felt he basically had no motivation throughout the movie once he became a villain, without beliefs and convictions and reasons to do what you're doing a character becomes empty.

Norman Osborn was a much more interesting character in the first film because he tells himself he's doing what he must for the greater good, but mostly he's just looking out for himself - that character defect leads him to where he is as a villain.

Tycho
01-28-2007, 05:38 AM
Well, JT: everyone is entitled to their own opinion about this important issue, but mine is right! :D

JediTricks
01-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Right on its *** maybe.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Right on its *** maybe.

lol ba dum CHING! Jedi tricks for the win! :crazed: