PDA

View Full Version : Any TRU employees?

Darth Detori
08-27-2002, 06:49 PM
I have an interview at TRU tomorrow and I was wondering- if I worked there and we got in a new case of stuff, do I get first dibs, or what?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-27-2002, 07:39 PM
I suppose you could always ask TRU . . .

hango fett
08-27-2002, 07:46 PM
boy, i would love to work at a meijers or wal*mart! maybe when i get a car i can apply for a job at wal*mart! yeah!
h

Mar10Sir
08-27-2002, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I guess you could from what I've heard from a friend of mine who used to work at a TRU. That's why some stuff never gets to hit the aisle: it doesn't get past the warehouse.

Lord Tenebrous
08-27-2002, 10:21 PM
The general rule is not to act as a consumer during your work hours. So if you're clocked out, and you find something you like, then go for it. But otherwise, you're on their time, and you'll be too busy to look.

Work and hobby do not mix well. You have been warned.

Dar' Argol
08-28-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
The general rule is not to act as a consumer during your work hours. So if you're clocked out, and you find something you like, then go for it. But otherwise, you're on their time, and you'll be too busy to look.

Work and hobby do not mix well. You have been warned.

Lord Tenebrous is correct. That can be cause for termintation if you are caught! And how good would that look in the next job interview???

"So why were you fired from TRU?"
"Uh . . . cause I was caught trying to put back some Star Wars figures before they got to the floor."
". . . . . . . . . . . Next!"

Rule of thumb is if you see it, and you want it, get it on your lunch break!! That way you are off the clock, and you will not get into any trouble. SW is not worth your job, cause without the job, you have no $ for SW. Sheez :rolleyes:

Nebulaz
08-28-2002, 10:13 AM
amen.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-28-2002, 10:24 AM
You already would have an advantage over everyone else knowing what's in stock. Let someone else have a shot at getting at the stash too.

IMO it would be more fair that way.

Sinister Lord
08-28-2002, 10:28 AM
I used to have a part-time job at TRU back in the summer of 2000, just for some extra cash during the summer. In general, the managers at the store where I worked hated collectors, so if I were you I would not even let on the to the fact that you collect anything until after you've been working there for a while. Definitely do NOT mention it in the interview.

You just have to be careful. I was fortunate that there was already another long time employee there who collected Star Wars stuff, and he would clue me in to when stuff was coming into the store. I only put stuff on hold for myself when the items were going out to the floor anyway, and I always made sure that I did not take all of a particular figure from a case. I made sure that the rarer stuff always made it to the floor for the regular customers.

I would simply put the items I wanted into the "hold" area and then after I punched out for the day I would have someone get them out of the "hold" area, and then I would purchase them as a regular customer would. That was the correct way to do things.

If you get the job... whatever you do... do not try to "hide" toys in some area of the floor or storeroom where they do not belong. That's a no-no. If you want to buy something, put it in the "hold" area and then deal with the purchase after you have punched out. That's how I always did it, and most of the other employees did it the same way.

They may have changed the rules since I worked there, but that is how it worked back in 2000.

Darth Detori
08-28-2002, 03:02 PM
thanks for the info, looks like I'm getting the job!
oh, and how long was it before you got a raise? They're starting me at $7 an hour which isn't really too much since I have to pay rent :p

thespar
08-28-2002, 03:03 PM
keep us update as the new toys come out or of any tru specails.

Lord Tenebrous
08-28-2002, 03:24 PM
oh, and how long was it before you got a raise? They're starting me at $7 an hour which isn't really too much since I have to pay rent

A maximum hours, it's about $14,000 before taxes. Which is enough for all your essentials, some investments, and some luxery consumption - if you keep a budget. Your salary will increase when you've earned it. There's no instant gratification in the business world.

But these next 90 days are important. Do you best, and be glad they didn't start you at minimum wage. :)

hango fett
08-28-2002, 03:54 PM
well, i would put all the stuff out and then call my dad to come and get them! there we go! it would take like 2 seconds to tell him!
h
j/k

Sinister Lord
08-28-2002, 04:03 PM
Darth Detori, I wouldn't expect to get a raise very quickly... unless it is an across the board wage increase that everyone gets. When I was hired the starting wage was $6 per hour, and there were people working there who had been there for five years or more who made the same amount as I did. So as far as I know, unless you get a promotion to a different position, you probably aren't going to get a raise.

Darth forb1us
08-28-2002, 09:08 PM
I would simply put the items I wanted into the "hold" area and then after I punched out for the day I would have someone get them out of the "hold" area, and then I would purchase them as a regular customer would. That was the correct way to do things.

Thats probably why I havent found a damn thing since the chewie wave.
the "hold" area, straight from the case?
wow that'd be sweet if I had the option to get stuff before it saw the floor... (like "regular customers can")
Correct me if I am wrong, I worked at a store, that allowed you to shop during lunch. Anything you wanted (that had been on the floor) went into a holding area, until the end of the day, then you'd buy it.
If thats what was done, cool.
or if it's being pulled from a peg midday, before work or whatever, cool.
If they bring out the pallet, pop the cases, "WOW NEW FIGS"
and the figs are placed right into the hold area.. then that sucks. and frankly that ticks me off :mad:

Sinister Lord
08-29-2002, 05:15 PM
Darth forb1us, like I said in my post... I only put items into the hold area when they were already going out to the floor anyway. I always made sure that the item I put on hold for myself was already represented on the floor from that case. In other words, I never denied the opportunity for a regular customer to buy the same item that I put on hold for myself. So, for instance, if I put a Boba Fett figure on hold for myself... then there was also at least one additional Boba Fett that made it to the floor at that same time. I can only speak from my own experience, but I was always looking out for the needs of the customers (and collectors) in terms of making sure items made it to the floor.

The only point in putting something on hold was to make certain the purchase could be made at a time when it would not interfere with my job... it was not done for the purpose of denying the opportunity for someone else to make that same purchase of the same item.

When you work at a toy store and you are being responsible about the way you conduct yourself, you always look out for the customers' needs first... and on more than one occasion I actually pulled the item I had on hold for myself and gave it to a customer so they could buy it. If they asked for that particular item, and I knew I had one on hold for myself, I would go and get it out of the hold area and give it to them instead. Like I said, it wasn't about denying toys to the customers.

SirSteve
08-29-2002, 05:31 PM
Yes, e-mail me whatever new stuff shows up in the computers. :)

hango fett
08-29-2002, 05:41 PM
maybe next year when i apply for a job at a local WM, i can let you know when i see new stuff because i will be(most likely) stocking stuff. but, that is next year...
h

Darth forb1us
08-29-2002, 08:28 PM
Well, first I must appoligize (sp?..) for I've been spending a bit of time, and money (in the form of gas) looking for the latest stuff, starting with the teemto/ki-adi wave.
I have not seen this wave once.. let alone some of the other stuff people have been seeing :/ and needless to say I've become very irritated.
The fact that you were NOT a typical, maybe they are typical, maybe not -> jerkoff employee, I respect that, and think very highly of it.
If only all employee's adhered to how you conducted things, then collecting would be a lot easier, and a hell of a lot more fun :)

2 thumbs up :D

Sinister Lord
08-30-2002, 12:25 AM
Thanks.. even though I no longer work there, I do appreciate the kind words. At the time, I tried very hard in my job to respect the needs of the customers, that was always the primary goal... as I think it should be for anyone who works in retail.

icatch9
08-30-2002, 07:35 AM
Yea, the second lowest lifeform on the planet (scalpers are the firts) is the jerkoff employee who buys all the good stuff first. These types hurt us and regular consumers. Stores like TRU are aware of employees doing such things. Some people in my area got in some trouble for sorted actions back in the days of POTF2.

Employee horders are the worst kind. Not in your case becasue you are a collector, but some of these types just do it for the money. Again, we can't stop it but managers can fire people for it. I wouldn't risk it.

Heck I worked at a retail store in 98' and put a 12" Chewy in the old style box on the shelf. I knew it was worth a lot, but I just couldn't buy it (first I didn't have $20 at the time) and second I was working :(. Now it books for like $500.00 and I still don't have one (or really want one :)).

Vortex
08-30-2002, 11:44 AM
I'm an ex TRU employee. I worked in the stock room back in college for a year or two...its been so long ago.

Anyway as for dibs on SW toys and other collectables. I think it all depends on the manager and what they find acceptable behavior. Either ask them after a few days of work, or ask some other co-workers.

When I worked there we had quite a few collectors, including myself. We would make a list and post it of things we were looking for, or just tell 1 or 2 people what we were after, and if something came in when it was our day off, some one would put it on hold. Or if we didn't have money at that time, we could put it on hold ourselves.

When the new shipments came in there was always enough of the new stuff to go around. We would get 15-20 boxes of the figs, and once we took out what we needed, we'd stock the shelves. If some one was short 1 or 2, we would just pull from the isle.

At the store I worked at the manager didn't care about the star wars toys, and I don't think you'll have trouble at your TRU either. Just don't hide the stuff, raid boxes, or dig through the pegs while you're at work at you should be ok.

But each store is differnt, just ask your co-workers

Sinister Lord
08-30-2002, 09:42 PM
There were a couple incidents where I worked. There were several employees who got harsh warnings from the managment about "hiding" Gundam Wing figures.

I heard stories about one guy who got fired for putting stuff in his locker and trying to sneak it out of the store without paying for it... what a loser! That supposedly happened several months before I started working there.

But for the most part the employees were very responsible and they did there best to take care of the customers needs first. I remember one day when one of my fellow employees pulled the interactive Yoda he had on hold for himself and gave it to a customer, a frustrated mom who was looking all over town for a Yoda for her son's birthday. She was so grateful and she left the store with a smile on her face. That kind of thing was typical of the employees at the store where I worked.