PDA

View Full Version : 12" ZAM WESSEL, I talk about her loose (review)

bigbarada
05-10-2002, 11:29 PM
Have a look and try to suppress the gag reflex.:mad:

Beast
05-10-2002, 11:37 PM
I would wait for the final version, before you gag Big Barada. I remember what the prototype 12" Leia's looked like at the beginning also, so until I see it actually in a box and on the shelf, or atleast not a prototype shot, I will be hopeful. :)

But yeah, as of right now that is the most hideous 12" figure that I have ever seen. I am praying for all you 12" collectors that this is only the prototype. If not I sense the fact that the female figure may actually not sell well. :cry:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
05-10-2002, 11:41 PM
Is it the prototype? Huh, maybe I should read those news stories a little closer. Hopefully the actual figure is much better; but this throws a wrench in the idea that Hasbro might use an improved body for the female figures. She looks like she will be the same "balloon-headed-Barbie" that the 12" Slave Leia was.

Battle Droid
05-10-2002, 11:45 PM
Where'd you get that pic?

Sith Vicious
05-10-2002, 11:52 PM
To quote the movie So I Married An Axe Murderer:

"Head! Down!"

Man, 12" Zam has encephalitis.

Battle Droid
05-10-2002, 11:52 PM
Duh, nevermind I see now. :D

bigbarada
05-10-2002, 11:53 PM
Off the front page news of this site. I wanted to link the thread to the actual news story but wasn't sure how, so I just posted the picture.

bigbarada
05-10-2002, 11:57 PM
lol Sith Viscious! :D:D

"Look at the size of that melon, like an orange on a toothpick!"

"It's a virtual planetoid! It's got it's own weather system!"

"Aye, he'll be cryin' himself to sleep tonight, on his huuuuge pillow!"

:D:D:D

Sith Lord 0498
05-11-2002, 12:06 AM
12 inch Zam???? I thought that was the new cloth BOBBLE HEAD Zam!!!!!! :crazed:

CooLJoE
05-11-2002, 12:15 AM
That better be a joke.

Is that like Bounty Hunter Barbie or something?

Maybe Hasbro is trying a new crossover series. The Barbie-StarWars crossover. Just wait til you see Qui Gon Ken!

2-1B
05-11-2002, 12:35 AM
" 'at's a yuge noggin ! "

That head doesn't look attached, so maybe it is not a final version. But still - unless a larger image of the real head was mixed up with the body, well then that figure is in trouble.
Meesa haten trouble. :(

Turbowars
05-11-2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Sith Vicious
To quote the movie So I Married An Axe Murderer:

"Head! Down!"

Man, 12" Zam has encephalitis. I was thinking the very same thing! Good one!

RooJay
05-11-2002, 05:10 AM
She's like Sputnik; spherical and quite pointy in parts.

The True Maul
05-11-2002, 07:41 AM
If she looks like that when she comes out ewwww! I'm not getting her!

Jedi Drew
05-11-2002, 09:45 AM
I stopped collecting the 12" line after TPM but.....I was thinking of getting Zam. Now that I looked at that pic I agree with you guys that the head is way too big-I may pass on this one. I do want to get the 12" Jango-he looks cool as hell!!!!:D :D :D

Forhekset
05-11-2002, 02:40 PM
Damn, is that pic for real? It looks like it's been photoshopped or something...good lord, WHY on earth is her head so big??? Yuck.

mark2d2
05-11-2002, 04:51 PM
I agree. This picture looks very suspect to me. The arms are WAYYYYYYYYY skinnier than SLAVE LEIA . . .

Forhekset
05-11-2002, 05:07 PM
It's hard to tell since the quality of the picture is so awful, but the more I examine this thing in Photoshop, the more it looks doctored. That head looks pasted on. I don't have any explanation for the arms. If that pic hasn't been doctored in Photoshop then I don't understand Hasbro's design process whatsoever, as this is supposed to be an "early" picture. SURELY that isn't the final size of the head, so why would they slap some huge head on a figure if they're just going to have to scale it down later? I don't get it.

Forhekset
05-11-2002, 05:09 PM
Just thought of something on the arms - perhaps they will have one or more additional layers of clothing/armor/etc. covering them, which will make them appear bulkier in the end. So since you aren't supposed to see the arms as shown in this pic, it doesn't matter that they're super skinny.

JEDIpartner
05-11-2002, 05:12 PM
"Uh, muh, Gud. Her head is lahk suh, hyuhj!"

What is up with that? I fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard. Now that I'm done laughing I think I'll cry. That's one SICK looking prototype.

2-1B
05-11-2002, 05:13 PM
No kidding Forhekset, I thought the use of taping head shots onto other bodies was only used to move pictures of "nude" female celebrities. :rolleyes:

Forhekset
05-11-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
No kidding Forhekset, I thought the use of taping head shots onto other bodies was only used to move pictures of "nude" female celebrities. :rolleyes:

Heh, Photoshop doctoring has many uses, such as in this situation. "Create a fake 'prototype' image and then watch as the SW geeks freak out about it." ;)

InsaneJediGirl
05-11-2002, 05:24 PM
Now my bobble head collection will be complete!Seriously..Was some drunk/stoned when they made Zam?:eek: :crazed:

bigbarada
05-11-2002, 05:25 PM
It's obvious the picture of her has been transplanted from a different photo. Look at the space between her right arm and her waist, the background is different. I can't vouch for the authenticity of the photo since I simply swiped it from SSG's home page.

InsaneJediGirl
05-11-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
It's obvious the picture of her has been transplanted from a different photo. Look at the space between her right arm and her waist, the background is different. I can't vouch for the authenticity of the photo since I simply swiped it from SSG's home page.

Yeah,it looks like someone dressed up a Barbie and took a Zam photo and stuck it on there.Good pickup on the backround BigBarada...I didnt really notice:zzz:

bigbarada
05-11-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl

Yeah,it looks like someone dressed up a Barbie and took a Zam photo and stuck it on there.Good pickup on the backround BigBarada...I didnt really notice:zzz:

Well, looking at that head is like staring into the sun, so it's easy to overlook the little details.;)

Turbowars
05-11-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset

Heh, Photoshop doctoring has many uses, such as in this situation. "Create a fake 'prototype' image and then watch as the SW geeks freak out about it." ;) Hey, who you calling a Geek?!LOL

Evan Nash
05-11-2002, 05:54 PM
..the HELL is that thing!?

Forhekset
05-11-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
Hey, who you calling a Geek?!LOL

All of us :happy:

Good call Bigbarada, I completely overlooked the background thing. That doesn't necessarily prove anything about the head of course (someone could have simply wanted the picture on a solid blue background, rather than whatever the background was before). But I think this pic reeks of "Photoshop" on many levels.

SirSteve
05-11-2002, 07:09 PM
The photo is real. It came from an official source. Although it may be an early photo and still may change when the final version is ready. That's probably why we haven't seen it at any shows because they are tweaking it.

derek
05-11-2002, 07:38 PM
TWEAKING?

HOLY FREAKING MOLY!

tweak it all the way to the dumpster.

this makes the 12 inch death star trooper look like a masterpiece.

i'm now convinced matell has infiltrated hasbro in an attempt to bankrupt the company. it has to be this. that's a freaking bobblehead doll!

JediTricks
05-13-2002, 02:12 AM
This reminds me an awful lot of 12" Slave Leia's prototype - the head there was like 75% larger than the final version there too. I think the outfit is promising (but not done by any stretch of the imagination).

JEDIpartner
05-13-2002, 01:59 PM
Maybe Hasblah thought that when Zam "gets the dart", her head swells from some sort of allergic reaction to the dart. Hmmm... probably not since they made her into a little "Miss Changey-face" for the basic figure. Oh, well... there goes another theory! :rolleyes:

InsaneJediGirl
05-13-2002, 03:32 PM
Maybe she had a bad seafood reaction.Zam should know better than to eat shellfish in the months with no "Rs":Pirate:

I wondering if the final verison will be better than this.At least give the figure some more weight on the limbs to balance out that head.;)

Jaina Solo
05-21-2002, 07:08 PM
I think the question is, could the final version be any WORSE than that picture?

It is amusing though- burst out laughing when I first saw it. Are we SURE that's not the bubblehead?

Turbowars
05-21-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Jaina Solo
I think the question is, could the final version be any WORSE than that picture?

It is amusing though- burst out laughing when I first saw it. Are we SURE that's not the bubblehead? Wait a minute, it is the bobbehead. I just saw it in the Jawa trader!

Jaina Solo
05-21-2002, 08:01 PM
It is? *sigh of relief* Cool.

SuperBattleDroid88
05-21-2002, 10:05 PM
:stupid: weird!!! :stupid:

JediTricks
05-21-2002, 10:31 PM
No it's not a bobblehead.

Turbowars
05-22-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
No it's not a bobblehead. It was a joke people, relax. We know it's not a bobblehead. It doesn't have to be so serious in here all the time you know. I have to be serious at work for 10 hours a day, so give me a break. :crazed: :crazed:

JediTricks
05-22-2002, 09:35 PM
Yeah, well you don't have to receive confused emails because your joke was too subtle. :D

Turbowars
05-23-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Yeah, well you don't have to receive confused emails because your joke was too subtle. :D Well Jeditricks since you are a "SUPER" Moderator, I think you can handle it.:crazed: ;)

lurk_shady
05-23-2002, 02:26 AM
After the Bounty Hunters were released (IG-88, Bossk) the quality of the dolls went straight to hell.

Count me out for the Episode 2 dolls, which are bad.

Beast
05-23-2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by lurk_shady
After the Bounty Hunters were released (IG-88, Bossk) the quality of the dolls went straight to hell. Count me out for the Episode 2 dolls, which are bad.
If you have been collecting since 1996, the quality has been all over the map. The bodies have always been pretty craptaculer, while the costumes have been very accurate. The new "Gung-Ho" bodies should reignite the intrest in the line, hopefully they do end up use it for more then Dooku, like they are planning. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

N-2PF
05-23-2002, 03:04 PM
The recipe
The legs are well done, upper torso has to be scaled to 120 %, arms 140 %, pistol 180 %, face 100 %, but they have to remove that double chin.

scruffziller
05-26-2002, 07:43 PM
I basically went cold turkey, after POTJ, I got in way over my head.
Plus I don't have the room, to put all my stuff. But I am almost tempted to get the 12" Jango.

JediJeff77
06-20-2002, 11:12 PM
YIKES, this thing is hideous. That head is enormous and she looks like she's blonde.
What a disappointment!
I think I will pass on this one....ick
-J

Lord Tenebrous
06-21-2002, 12:13 AM
I'm not upset about the head size as much as the lack of likeness. Collectors will probably wish she was packed with the veil over her face.

The rest of the body is alright, her arms could have been a little thicker. Average, but what we've come to expect from this company.

But I feel bad for the strict 12" collectors who certainly wanted more out of this than what we're getting.

ChemOx
06-21-2002, 12:19 AM
Yeah....I am very unimpressed with this one. They could have made do without her.

Old Fossil
06-21-2002, 12:53 AM
I'll pass on this one for sure!!! What a shame!

bigbarada
06-21-2002, 01:11 AM
Crap crappity crap crap crap!!:mad:

I think that's all that needs to be said.:)

derek
06-21-2002, 01:14 AM
well, it looks like the prototype pic was accurate.:cry:

i'll just keep my fingers crossed that her clothes and gear will fit a cy girl. with the veil on, a cy girl would look pretty cool. hopefully the helmet will fit.:)

jdmarlow
06-21-2002, 01:14 AM
If someone put together a book of the "DO's and DON'Ts" of Star Wars Figure making this 12" Zam Wesell would be the working model of the "DON'Ts".

-JD

Laserbrain
06-21-2002, 01:16 AM
Ya know, the thing with Hasbro is that they literally believe that all us collectors are obsessive compulsive freaks who waste their disability fund on anything remotely Star Wars.

Then when a figure like Zam comes out exemplifying that mindset and we assert ourselves, Hasbro puts us in our place by calling us "pimples on the elephant's ***."

It's lose-lose for both sides in the long run. But they just can't see past that million dollar trademark.

Jedi Drew
06-21-2002, 09:08 AM
That Zam is a joke right???:confused: If not-- I'm SOOOOOO glad that I stopped collecting the 12" line.:D :D

JEDIpartner
06-21-2002, 10:03 AM
Are there new pictures of this figure or did someone just suddenly discover this and not bother looking for the original thread that was started about a month ago?

derek
06-21-2002, 10:45 AM
JEDIpartnr,

there are new boxed photos, but i did bump big barada's thread up for those, as EP would say, are "lazy".;)

brentfett
06-21-2002, 11:38 AM
This is why I have zero interest in 12 inch figures. I mean, non-human 12 inchers look Ok, but the humans just look like big stupid barbie and ken dolls!

JEDIpartner
06-21-2002, 04:58 PM
Yeah... what a disappointment. Zam is looking rather "top-heavy" and not in the desirable way! Poor Hasbro... have these boys in the design pool not SEEN a woman in years or WHAT?

BillyJAck
06-21-2002, 10:44 PM
seeing that doll makes me wanna quote C3PO

"ooooooooooooo how horrid!"

definately one for the bon fires...

billy

derek
06-22-2002, 11:13 PM
new un boxed zam photos are now available, and dang it, it looks like her arms are molded plastic instead of fabric over a plastic arm.
this is gonna make a body swap almost impossible, unless my zam is sleeveless.:cry:

look close at her arms. that sure looks like it's plastic or bendy rubber, not actual cloth or vinal.

JediWannaBe
06-24-2002, 07:10 AM
Looks like she will be hiding in the back of my collection. Or, swap out her body with a Cy-Girls Perfect Body, break out the exacto and superglue...

Damn those arms!!! :(

Out of the box review:

http://rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=9189

gibbspaulus
06-24-2002, 08:22 AM
No, sorry - she#s just plain awfu;. Hasbro - give it up, or get a new team in to do the 12" range.

JediTricks
06-25-2002, 02:37 AM
Yeah, this figure is a dog. I gave it all the chances in the world, but the arms being molded instead of clothed is just plain wrong - the last straw, as it were. I had tried to forgive the 1/5th-scale head, but the ugly paint job and the molded arms make this just impossible to like IMO.

Jaina Solo
06-26-2002, 02:23 PM
That's really very mean of them. *sigh* The outfit's probably sewn on, too, just to be really obnoxious.

I may have nightmares about this figure. It's possible it looks better in person, but somehow I doubt it.

Greejo
06-26-2002, 08:37 PM
I agree Jaina. It's possible it could look better in person....but I am not holding my breath. Although I will hold my final call until I have seen it in the flesh...as it were.

It is a shame though. I like many others were really looking forward to this particular figure. After seeing the pics of the upcoming Dooku and hearing it was to benefit from an improved body base, I assumed the Zam would recieve a similar, all be it much more female, treatment.

Still undoubtedly I will still pick one up... ;) :(

OneArmedJango
06-27-2002, 07:13 PM
I thnk the 12' Zam could have been cool. It would of been neat if it came with extra stuff like 12" Jango did. I think here head is to big. But thats just what I think.

Tycho
08-28-2002, 05:16 AM
OK, I was going to return her if I opened her and didn't like her. Wal*Mart takes them back.

I'm keeping her - I do like this figure, so there's the short version of the story right up front. It is far from perfect though. Here's the juice:

The arms:

1) they are the same size as 12" Slave Leia (FAO version) and there is nothing out of scale with them and the body, the armor makes it appear more that way than it is. The heads of both ladies might be slightly too large, adding to this effect, but in the end, this doesn't bother me.

2) They are extremely unposeably. They could have given her twisty wrists, but no. Zam cannot double handle or even appropriately hold her long rifle. The gun she's fine with, though save one of those clear rubber band strips.

3) The arm Obi-Wan cut off is not removeable. On a 12", that kind of detail should have been basic and easily affordable....

The Helmet:

1) the vail is hard to attach, and doesn't fit accurate. It's not impossible, just use a tranquilizer on yourself, before trying to adjust Zam.

2) the range-finder binoculars do not swivel down so she can look through them. Why? I don't know. Because for money, parts stability, or lack of foresight (pardon the pun), Hasbro didn't want them to.

3) the alien face fits on over Zam's face and under the helmet great! It does not cover her neck though, so she has green skin and a pink face. This feature works wonders on the 3 3/4" figure, but not so perfect here. Still it is fun and pretty cool, but we have so few 12" female characters, that I prefer to display her with Leanna Walsman's face visable.

The Gun:

1) a little small, and the holster seems too large for it, but all that is honestly likely movie-accurate.

Her body-suit:

1) it's 2 piece under the armor. Zam probably wore a body suit, or shapeshifted something that looked like it. The figure is a carefully disguised top and pants. This means that you can change her outfit or do customs more easily - like Chewbacca wearing purple nylons is one of my favorites.

The best thing about Zam is that there are so few female Star Wars 12" figures:

Leia Senate
Leia Ceremony
Leia Hoth
Leia Boussh
Leia Slave

Queen Theed
Padme Handmaiden
Padme Tatooine
Queen Senate
Queen Return to Naboo
Queen Theed Battle

Sabe Black Travel
Sabe Battle Decoy

Aurra Sing
Zam Wessel

Beru, Shmi Skywalker, Oola, Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Aayla Secura, Adi Gallia, Shaak Ti, Luminara Undulli, and Bariss Ofee all would be nice, as would Mon Mothma. And if the 2 EU, 1 more should include Guri.

Well, I just wrote about 2 subjects and tied it into everything.

Got something to say about Zam Wessel or female figures, chime away!

2-1B
08-28-2002, 05:41 AM
Thanks Tycho. :)

Are you pleased with her face sculpt? You meantioned "Leanna Walsman's face", how accurate is it?

mini-rock
08-28-2002, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the news Tycho. Well, I guess I can forget about posing her shooting her rifle like in the movie. I'm sure the figure will look good on my shelf anyway, but these are ment to be posed. I just hope to a higher power that Hasbro doesn't screw up the female Jedi when (or if) released.

Tycho
08-28-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Thanks Tycho. :)

Are you pleased with her face sculpt? You meantioned "Leanna Walsman's face", how accurate is it?

It's not that accurate. Leanna Walsman is more attractive than this doll makes her out to be. I'm not sure Realscan was employed. But that's OK. It comes with the vail. Jango says that works just like a paper bag ;)

Seriously, she's alright. As I said, I like the idea of having more ladies in my 12" SW collection, but with the vail, she does look kind of more serious and threatening. Afterall, she is "the bad girl."

I have 3 Anakins and 3 Obi-Wans (hoping that's enough to use to set up other characters with). I put Zam with Obi-Wan. I think I should save any and all potential Anakins to mostly be with Padme figures I'll hope they do. I do have one Anakin fighting side-by-side with Obi-Wan in front of me now (next to my monitor) and that looks really cool!

Mini-Rock - sorry pal, but you'll hardly get her to pose shooting her rifle like in the movie. Possibly off to her side, but I prefer her confrontation with Obi-Wan in the bar scene (as you can tell) for my set up display. (unless I can pose him hanging from something like it's the droid -that might be interesting)

K M Toydarian
08-28-2002, 07:28 PM
Hi all,

I found 2 Zams at Target last week, so I bought 1. Looks like she will be sitting around.
I agree, she is not as bad as the pictures show.
But would it have killed Hasbro to put an undershirt on her instead of painting her arms?

Here's my updated Zam. I put her on a Lord Of The Rings Galadriel. I cut of her hands, dremeled them out, and snapped then on. I put a purple shirt on her, and removed the molded ensignia from her arm and reattached it. I replaced her veil with a thinner one (sans the "ketchup stains?" on the back).

And because of the Galadriel sculpt, she has a removeable arm!

Now she can hold her rifle and pose very well!

Kraig

derek
08-28-2002, 08:00 PM
looks good kraigmc!

i was thinking of doing the same thing.:) where did you get the purple shirt? i've been checking out the barbie asile looking for something that may work.:)

Tycho
08-28-2002, 08:29 PM
I just wanted to second the compliment: "Nice Job!" :)

mini-rock
08-28-2002, 09:15 PM
kraigmc,

Well done! :)

tagmac
08-28-2002, 09:27 PM
I found a couple Zams in Target today - didn't look as bad as I'd thought. Of course, no Dooku's in sight.

K M Toydarian
08-28-2002, 11:26 PM
I sewed the shirt myself from a stretchy fabric. Very basic design, but I did do it on a machine. The fabric was burgundy that I spray painted with purple paint. This was also used for the veil, giving it the purple on one side, burgundy on the other effect. The purple colour is dead on for her. It is "purple" Design Masters spray paint from Michaels.

derek
08-29-2002, 12:07 AM
since i can't sew, looks like i'll be dying something purple.:)
did the head fit snugly on that toy biz body, or is it loose?

K M Toydarian
08-29-2002, 01:19 AM
The head is a little loose on the Toy Biz body. It fits over the "bulb" of the neck, and does not have prongs, but does wobble. If you push it down over the neck a little, it will stay put, but with the costume, it isn't too bad. Zam's neck is a little big though. The sculpt doesn't taper well to the opening. It is very bulbous even on the Hasbro body.

K M Toydarian
08-29-2002, 01:48 AM
I just discovered that there is a small hole in Zam's rifle that will fit a blast effect perfectly. The 3 3/4 Super Battle Droid chest blast effect fits just fine.

PS. I have also included a pic of the Clone trooper I put on a super Gi Joe body and tapered the armour.

jedi master sal
08-29-2002, 12:31 PM
What's with Zam having a "package" though?

Still great custom.

The True Maul
08-29-2002, 01:01 PM
Thanks Kraigmc, for posting pics!! :)

mini-rock
09-04-2002, 11:45 PM
Got my Zam today. Very good looking figure, but looks nothing like the actress who played her. The vail is crappy, and so is the additional face it comes with. Her arms are painted for crap sake, BUT the rest of the uniform I thought was pretty cool. Just like Aurra, Zam is extremely hard to pose. I can see why Hasbro hasn't come out with any female Jedi since they can't sem to make a female body that can strike a pose. Over all though, I like this figure. Yeah, I think purple "does it" for me.

Hellboy
09-05-2002, 06:51 PM
I like this figure quite a bit. I agree with the majority of the points Tycho makes and like mini-rock I too wanted to pose her holding her rifle. :mad:

mini-rock
09-05-2002, 07:02 PM
I too wanted to pose her holding her rifle.

I know Hellboy. Too bad she can barely do THAT though. I like the way this figure looks, but CRAP MAN, Hasbro could have made her elbows bend.:frus:

Jango Jett
09-12-2002, 02:41 PM
I just picked up a ZAM WESELL at KMART today, they only had
one on the shelf, so I grabbed it for evaluation, I may or may not
keep it. I have a question about ZAM's eyes, does yours have
two small white dots on each eye ? it looks like it is supposed to
be like that but I just wanted to make sure if other ZAM figures
also have two dots on each eye ? :confused:

N-2PF
09-12-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Jango Jett
does yours have two small white dots on each eye ?

Yes:

Jango Jett
09-12-2002, 04:59 PM
thanks ! I thought it could have possibly been a defect at first,
Im glad it's supposed to be that way ! mine looks exactly like the
picture. :)