PDA

View Full Version : COUNT DOOKU reviewed (merged)

Tycho
08-28-2002, 01:10 PM
Hey guys - this one's really nice!

His lightsaber is awesome, removeable blade, and it attaches to his belt clip - though unfortunately on his wrong side (Dooku wears it on his left and cross-draws)

(if you rotate the belt around so the saber hilt attaches on the correct side - the snap section is in front and it looks worse... I haven't thought of turning the belt upside down, so if it works, I'll post an update)

His uniform is very plain and simple. Reminds you of Death Star II Luke's crossed with Tarkin's tunic.

You've all seen the head sculpt. It is by far THE MOST ACCURATE I've ever seen. Too bad Dooku is not my all-time favorite character or something, but good sculpts I've noticed lately, though this guy is king! (Jango Ultimate Bounty Hunter is pretty right-on as well though).

DOOKU'S CAPE IS MOST INTERESTING:

the plastic chain snaps into place, however, it is also sewn in there, so be careful if you plan on moving, re-moving, or adjusting this piece. There are holes in the cape with little "o-rings" in there, and when boxed, Dooku has clear-bands going through the rings to "pose" his cape. When loose, I suppose they are useless and were they on the real costume, Christopher Lee would have trouble wearing that past airport security. However, you could sew something through there, or use clear bands, to "pose" the cape. This could make a very cool display. However, the shoulder pads are less pliable and want to fit him extremely snuggly. Yet the cloak itself is a very thick material than is sort of "poseable." I'm sure in loose pictures from fans we're going to see some things that look interesting.

Dooku's hands: he can double handle the lightsaber. And his finger grips help a lot, because his uniform is rather stiff, so he's not quick to pose, though very versatile once you get him there. There's a large knob on the saber that Hasbro insisted on wrapping the clear band around twice. Be careful to remove the band slowly, preserving your knob. That's where it attaches to his belt when you want him just wearing the hilt.

Overall, I'm very happy with this figure. I'm wondering if he fits my top 10 list and I'm probably going over to my "rank the 12" post" and try and figure this out.

He won't top 14" electronic Vader, the Speederbike w. Bikerscout, and Ultimate Jango Fett, but I think Dooku comes in VERY CLOSE!

Now that's quality!

LTBasker
08-28-2002, 02:06 PM
Cool, thanks for the info Tycho. I've been wanting to get some E2 12" figures and I think I'll start with this one. :cool:

Does he look very good against Anakin and/or Obi-Wan?

mini-rock
08-28-2002, 02:11 PM
Tycho, GREAT review! I can't wait!!

Tycho
08-28-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Cool, thanks for the info Tycho. I've been wanting to get some E2 12" figures and I think I'll start with this one. :cool:

Does he look very good against Anakin and/or Obi-Wan?

I put him with Anakin because Obi-Wan is busy playing Civil War Hospital with Zam. They look great!

However, IMO Anakin is a better looking figure than Obi-Wan.

Dooku is just way better than either of them, though! (but I like Anakins clothing he has on him).

The True Maul
08-28-2002, 02:34 PM
Tycho, Check your 12" Count Dooku's hand and look at the thumb, does yours have it's thumb on backwards?? Mine does I just wanted to see if it was a only one time error or thats how there all produced!! :)

jedi master sal
08-28-2002, 02:54 PM
Yeah! I can't wait either. I ordered my Dooku as well as Super Battle Droid and Zam through toysrus.com. It's being shipped UPS though and I just know I won't be there to pick it up and then I'll have to have them ship it to my work address (dumy me for not doing that in the first place) and with the holiday weekend coming up, I probably won't see it til Tuesday of next week.

Oh well, at least I know it's in transit. Looks GREAT from the pictures!

Tycho
08-28-2002, 03:52 PM
My Dooku doesn't have his thumbs on backwards. I don't even see how that's possible.

Sorry.

The True Maul
08-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Mine is a variation, I just wanted to know if anybody else had this variation sorry I bothered you Tycho!!:( :)

Tycho
08-28-2002, 04:16 PM
I believe you. Take a picture, or scan his hand or something.

It's just hard for me to picture.

You didn't "bother me," LOL :)

I posted so I could answer questions if you guys got them.

I know a lot of you are hesitating on this wave because of Zam Wessel.

The True Maul
08-28-2002, 04:21 PM
Unfortunetly, I don't have a scanner sorry !! :)

derek
08-28-2002, 04:30 PM
the reversed thumbnail is not a variation. hasbro has been making figures with the thumbnail of the left hand on the wrong side for years now.:)

so, tycho, is dooku about an inch shorter than anakin and obi-wan? is his body like jangos, or the new super joe body?

Tycho
08-28-2002, 04:43 PM
I don't know. I think they are the same except for the hands.

I don't have any GI Joe to compare them to.

derek
08-28-2002, 04:48 PM
tycho,

but you do have those photos of the two joe bodies i posted a while back.:) scroll back a few pages... :)

if dooku has double jointed arms and legs and articulation at mid torso, he's a super joe.:)

Tycho
08-28-2002, 04:55 PM
Yes he is.

K M Toydarian
08-28-2002, 06:43 PM
"the reversed thumbnail is not a variation. hasbro has been making figures with the thumbnail of the right hand on the wrong side for years now."

I remember Hasbro doing this on all Gi Joes as a security thing. You can tell it's authentic because of this "birthmark"

Sinister Lord
08-28-2002, 07:21 PM
Yep, the upside down thumb thing is a GI Joe trademark. It was originally a mistake that occured on the original Joe way back when it first came out in the 1960's... but when it was noticed they decided to keep the mistake and use it as part of the trademark for their body. Since it is impossible to put a trademark on the human body, GI Joe needed to have something that made him different... thus the facial scar and the upside down thumb on one hand. Every GI Joe has that feature, and many of the Star Wars figures have it too, because they are using parts from GI Joe and the offshoot "Action Man" line to make the bodies for these figures.

asiandoood
08-29-2002, 03:23 PM
Just got my Dooku. Im very pleased with the figure. By far very close to the quality of the Ultimate Jango.

mini-rock
08-29-2002, 06:00 PM
asiandoood, guess that answers my question. I read your box was damaged so I feared the figures might be as well. Glad to hear Dooku survived the "true" dark side of the force...........UPS!

Jayspawn
08-30-2002, 02:22 PM
I finally picked up 12" Dooku this afternoon, and I'm very impressed! Tycho's review was dead on. This definatly goes on my Top 10 Favorite 12". The accuracy on Christopher Lee's face is amazing.

"Master Kenobi, you dissapoint me. Yoda holds you in such high regard."

Jango Jett
08-30-2002, 05:33 PM
asiandoood, did yours have the new Super Articulated body ?
I heard from another person that it was the CC body ? I prefer
the SA body. :)

TheFrankEinstein
08-31-2002, 04:10 PM
Let me apologize in advance for being juvenile, but I had to share this with anyone else with an immature sense of humor here :happy: -

preserving your knob

I think that would make a popular independent party slogan with male Americans, should you ever run for office.

edit - BOY am I glad that wasn't my hundredth post. I was editing to apologize for going off topic, but I decided to go on topic instead.

I've done some head swaps with the Super Joe body, and those "Gung Ho Grip" hands give me fits when I'm trying to pose them with their lightsabers. But everyone loves the added poseability, of course. My point - I remember reading somewhere that future plans call for a return to the "Kung Fu" grip type deal with the rubber hands of old. Has anyone else heard this? Is Hasbro likely to change the hands but keep the bodies?

Darth Cruel
09-01-2002, 11:10 AM
Just got my Dooku yesterday. I am also very pleased with this one. Another one of the "ups" on the Hasbro quality rollercoaster.

Just want to add one thing. The thread holding his cape chain in place appears to me to be nothing more than the same thread used to hold other cloaks and capes in place for the in-box display. It was as easily removed as all the other thread. The plastic chain pin holds the cloak nicely without it as well.

mini-rock
09-01-2002, 12:10 PM
Still haven't received mine yet! ARGHH!!

derek
09-04-2002, 07:01 PM
i just got my dooku from amazon.com. really cool. my only real complaint is the sleeves are still too short. he has the older
GI Joe body,like jango fett, also referred to as the "classic collection" body, but it has the muscle arms!:) dooku's been working out.:)

well, while this body is way better than the "hall of fame" body anakin and obi-wan have, it's still not good, or tall enough.
luckily, dooku's head has a long neck, so he's perfect for a transplant to a taller body, with a short neck post, like one made by 21st century, or Hot Toys.

my count dooku now has a hot toys body, and he's a full 12 1/2 inches tall! ready to take on all your 11 inch dooku's!:) bow down before the 12 1/2 inch count dooku!:crazed: or better yet, "back down".;)

Hellboy
09-04-2002, 07:12 PM
Hey all I just got my Dooku a few days ago and man am I impressed. I have to admit with the exception of Jango I was starting to loose hope that Hasbro would release some quality 12" figures. I'm very happy with Dooku, the SBD, and Zam. If all the future figures in this line exhibit this level of quality I might have to get into collecting the 12" line again instead of just picking up a few here and there. I still won't pick up that god awful Mace Windu though. :)

The True Maul
09-04-2002, 07:28 PM
I agree with you Hellboy, thats exactly what i'm doing.:)

derek
09-04-2002, 07:42 PM
hey hellboy,

regarding hasbro's 12 inch quality, keep your fingers crossed, because if the new anakin looks like the photo we saw on the SSG main page, hasbro may be backsliding!:)

Hellboy
09-04-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by derek
hey hellboy,

regarding hasbro's 12 inch quality, keep your fingers crossed, because if the new anakin looks like the photo we saw on the SSG main page, hasbro may be backsliding!:)

You may indeed be right derek. I hadn't visited the main page until you pointed that out. I like the way the Genosian Warrior looks but Anakin looks like he should be sitting on a toilet. :D

mini-rock
09-04-2002, 10:27 PM
but Anakin looks like he should be sitting on a toilet. lol

FINALLY!! Received my Dooku today, and it is amazing how close to Christopher Lee it looks. My only gripe are the hole rings in the cape. Other than that,well done Hasbro.

derek
09-08-2002, 06:34 PM
Here is a photo of Count Dooku on a "Hot Toys" body. Next to Dooku is the Hasbro body he came with, with the "Hot Toys" head on it. Notice how much better Dooku looks on a taller body.

allenj456
09-09-2002, 10:30 AM
I got this as well and love it!!! One of the best facial sculpts ive seen in a long time...possibly ever

Jedi Master Silas
09-11-2002, 10:16 PM
I just bought the 12" Dooku, Zam and SBD. First let me say that the Dooku kicks major (edited)! It looks like he has the new hand grip and the face sculpt is fantastic. The SBD is cool...but whoa the Zam sucks. Dont get me wrong the weapons are very nice and so is the outfit but the big pumpkin head just plain sucks. LOL . The head is so big that when the helmet is on her it squishes her head so bad she looks deformed. Whats up with Hasbro? Look at Amidala too.:confused:

N-2PF
09-13-2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Take a picture, or scan his hand or something.

Stupid thumbnail thing:

Tycho
09-15-2002, 12:33 AM
Thanks for posting that. My request was from a while ago. It was nice that you recollected. I'll have to look at that on my 12" figures, now. Very interesting.

The True Maul
09-15-2002, 07:32 AM
Yeah I have Count Dooku with the thumbnail backwards I just coudn't post a pic sorry Tycho!!:(

mini-rock
09-15-2002, 09:43 AM
Yep. Sure enough my Dooku has the backwards thumbnail as well on his left hand.

Mace Windex
09-16-2002, 09:11 AM
derek,

What is that other doll? Is that a Tom Cruise action figure...LOL?
The taller Dooku looks better except for the short sleeves and different skin color. How will you match the skin tone?

Mace

Mace Windex
09-16-2002, 09:30 AM
I finally found Dooku. My review of him is mixed. I give his face/head sculpt a 10. I count him as one of the best 12 inch figures ever in this category. Unfortunately, his small size detracts from the overall package. The hand grip is interesting but I think it detracts from the look (hey, what's that huge slice on each hand Dooku?). I know, I'm being picky. The lightsaber is also a little disappointing. It seems too thin and the attachment point interferes with two handed holding in a proper position. How about Dooku's uniform? What is up with the stiff cape?? This thing is like cardboard and restricts movement. Also, the "chain" attachment will not stay clasped if you pose Dooku. Some kid will easily snap this thing off! I left my thread attached to keep it on but it still unsnaps itself anytime you move Dooku. And what about those stupid ring holes in the cape. What is up with that?
Overall I think he is a good figure. Dooku is great if you do not want to pose him.
I still have to say that Ki Adi Mundi is by far the best detailed and most accurate 12 inch so far! Yes I have Jango and his is great too! I don't count him as #1 because of some uniform complaints. Other than that Jango would be up there.
MAce

derek
09-16-2002, 08:18 PM
hey mace windex,

that head is an unofficial tom cruise head. the company "hot toys", whose body i put dooku's head on, has 3 different tom cruise heads. the one you see pictured with dooku is from their british halo jumper, and they have a "top gun" version and also a mission impossible 2 version.

yes, the skin tone of the hot toys body is a diffferent shade than dooku's head, but that is something i'm willing to endure. the added inch height of the hot toys body more than outweighs this.

as for the sleeves, they're just as short on the hasbro body.:) we who have done body swaps in the past have always had to endure hasbro's short sleeves, since the "HOF" bodies have shorter arms than the GI Joe body, but i would of thought hasbro would of made dooku's sleeves longer.:)

N-2PF
09-17-2002, 02:05 PM
I recommend bodyswapping with the Han Solo Carbonite body. Easy exchange. Perfect skin color, perfect sleeve size, all the articulation that's needed.

derek
09-17-2002, 02:27 PM
hey N-2PF,

can you post a picture of dooku on that han carbonite body?

N-2PF
09-17-2002, 05:02 PM
Dressed

N-2PF
09-17-2002, 05:07 PM
Undressed

Clowntrooper
09-18-2002, 06:33 PM
This is no improvement, this is the degeneration of the line.

1. The body is to short.
3. Stupid metal studs with holes just to hold his cape in the box
2. Cheap recycled (mottled) plastic chain on his cape
4. Cheap recycled (mottled) plastic belt
5. Cheap recycled (mottled) plastic thinny light saber hilt
6. Even the light saber blade is thinner than the other light sabers
7. What for articulated fingers? (Dooku don't need fingers to trigger G.I.Joe guns)
8. The boots' leg is to tall, the standard black boot would have done better than this resculpt.
9. The upper arm has the same thickness as his thigh.
10. He didn't come with his little fighting counterpart.

Lman316
09-27-2002, 08:29 PM
I like it. I just found mine today and I'm quite pleased with it. This was one of the only 12" figures that I wanted, and I'm glad that I was able to find it.
The only thing: how exactly do you remove the blade from the lightsaber? On mine, it feels like you have to unscrew it, but I keep doing that, and it doesn't come out. And I don't want to just pull on it for fear of breaking it. I know it might sound like a stupid question, but really, how do you get that thing outta there? :confused:
But, I think this figure is great and now I just need to get the 12" Jango and the two KB Clones and I'm all set :D.

End...

derek
09-27-2002, 08:44 PM
the blade just pulls out.:)

mini-rock
09-27-2002, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I've noticed some are a little more difficult than others to pull loose, but I've never had one break on me. Just give it a good tuuuuuuug!:)

JediTricks
09-30-2002, 08:43 PM
I finally found this fig at retail and picked it up. It's very nice even with the funky grommets in the cape and the cheesy cape chain. This is my 2nd Hasbro figure with GungHo grip and I totally hate it now, it looks awful and it's not really strong enough to hold onto much. There's also a little paint slop under the neckline of the tunic. However, the figure succeeds everywhere else, and it LOOKS like Christopher Lee more than any SW figure has ever looked like the actor it's trying to portray before. This is definitely one of the finest SW 12"ers ever and probably the finest 12" human depiction in the line.

Originally posted by Tycho
...it attaches to his belt clip - though unfortunately on his wrong side (Dooku wears it on his left and cross-draws)...(if you rotate the belt around so the saber hilt attaches on the correct side - the snap section is in front and it looks worse... I haven't thought of turning the belt upside down, so if it works, I'll post an update)

His uniform is very plain and simple. Reminds you of Death Star II Luke's crossed with Tarkin's tunic.I think if you don't mind the figure dropping the saber down instead of pulling it up, the saber will hold onto the belt if you turn the belt upside-down instead of rotating it around. I don't like how it looks, but I can't figure out how to get the saber to sit in the belt properly anyway - it works in a variety of angles, but the little arm on the covertec-esque belt knob makes me think there's supposed to be a specific angle there. The arm on that belt knob on mine is badly bent. I just found a pic, the saber is supposed to be worn with the bottom facing forward and up on the left side.

His tunic is NOT plain or simple! It's actually 2 separate shirts, one with regular snaps and a very nice, high collar; and the overshirt that's a cross between the imperial officer's tunic and Luke's ROTJ tunic - I love the 2 snaps that hold the right side of the tunic up, this looks so cool when it's open, like Dooku is finally letting down his guard for a minute and exhaling.

yukface27
10-15-2002, 09:53 PM
I keep seeing the 12" Dooku on the shelves and he looks so bad arse, so I need your guys' opinions. Well, what do you think of the figure? Is he any good, worth picking up? His head sculpt looks so awesome to me, I just wanna snatch the old man up!

Darth Cruel
10-16-2002, 02:56 AM
Yukface - the general opinion seems to be very favorable. I have read few complaints on this thread and with the exception of one post...any complaints are accompanied by very good reviews. I myself like the figure a lot. But, as always, I believe Hasbro can do MUCH better for the money on ALL of the figures 12" AND 3 3/4".

mini-rock
10-16-2002, 03:00 AM
It is an awesome "looking" figure, but limited on posing due to very tight clothing.:)

JediTricks
10-16-2002, 06:26 PM
I think it's a great figure, the first 12" figure I've enjoyed since the Bossk wave. The new Gung Ho grip hands aren't as pleasant as they could be, but otherwise it's fun to play with and display and just have.