PDA

View Full Version : Soooooooo....we might be getting a new Jabba.

mylow thehutt
08-28-2002, 10:45 PM
Check this out

Bo Shuda. Just as the fat slug himself bellowed, Hasbro might have been listening. Whispers from the East have been telling us that a new Jabba the Hutt looks to be on it's way.
Sources inside Hasbro (at the pre-production level) are confident that we'll be seeing a Return of the Jedi Jabba the Hutt with his throne and all the trimmings in 2003. Hasbro's last attempt to satiate Jabba fans was 1999's Jabba Glob set, which was modeled after the ROTJ villain rather than the younger Jabba from The Phantom Menace. That set was intended to compliment the 1998 Throne Room diorama, but the new version will have much greater detail and accuracy. Think vintage Jabba Throne playset, and you pretty much get a clearer picture of what to expect.

Following the trend of mirroring a classic Star Wars movie with its prequel cousin, Hasbro seems to be planning a lot of Return of the Jedi characters to build up to the last of the prequels, Episode III in 2005. 2003's Return of the Jedi styled Boba Fett will feature Quick Draw action to mimmick his Throne Room action. Also on the drawing board is a new Gamorrean Guard with Bubo, Jabba's frog-dog. Though talk is as early as 2003, we could see much of it in 2004. As always, releases are subject to change (not to mention the whim of Hasbro's Powers-That-Be).

sounds cool,It can be found here http://www.tradefederation.net/

thoughts?

TylerD
08-28-2002, 11:31 PM
Very interesting information mylow. I only hope that it turns out to be true, since I would love to see a Jabba playset like the one you described. I think that a new Jabba is long overdue, and is something to look forward to in the "non-movie" years. As for the Gammorean guard, that would also be cool. However, I would like Hasbro to try and do totally new figures (Hermi Odle, YARNA, YARNA....oh and did I mention YARNA? LOL). Bubo is definitely a plus...

bigbarada
08-28-2002, 11:34 PM
Sounds great, if it is true then there is light at the end of the tunnel.:)

Lord Tenebrous
08-28-2002, 11:41 PM
I never get too excited. There were some great pre-production rumblings back during the Episode 1 line, but mostly OT stuff, that never saw the production stage.

A nice little glimpse of a possible future, but for now I'm just going to wonder what ever happened to that Rebel Officer...

Mar10Sir
08-29-2002, 02:16 AM
Sounds cool! A Jabba sculpted after the ROTJ puppet (not the ANH or TPM computer generated lug) would be cool. So far the Jabba Glob has been the best sculpt so far. The POTF2 Jabba w/Solo and the EI Jabba with podrace announcers... well... sucked.

I just hope they pitch in new and cool fetures or add ins like the pipe bowl or a Jawa with the big leaf fan or Bubo or a new Carbonite frozen Solo which is encased in a properly proportioned frame. It could be electronic and have blinking lights on the sides. I also hope the throne is accurately detailed and scaled.

Anyways... again, a nicely sculpted Jabba will be welcome.

Rogue II
08-29-2002, 07:05 AM
I hope this is true. Right now, I have my Jabba Glob sitting on my vintage Jabba's dias. Of course, Oola, Crumb, Bib Fortuna, and C-3PO are right there with him. The new Gammorean Guard w/Bubo would be nice too.

Hey, where did that Rebel Officer go? Maybe the Imperials caught him and threw him into Cell Block 1138.

JEDIpartner
08-29-2002, 08:13 AM
I like my Vintage Jabba... the new one had better be REALLY special in order for me to buy it. I'm satisfied with the one I have... so far.

Rogue II
08-29-2002, 08:47 AM
I like the sculpt of the vintage version, but the color bothers me. It is a wierd shade of pea green. Unfortunately, I am missing the pipe/bowl combo that goes on the dias. I can't complain, I bought it for $6 at a flea market.

I bought the POTF2 "Special Edition" Jabba when it came out. Talk about ugly.

Even if Hasbro doesn't make a ROTJ Jabba in 2003, I'm sure they will make one by 2006. I can wait.

Val Da Car
08-29-2002, 08:55 AM
I have a few of the vintage pipe bowl with Salious Crumb and C3P0 (Cloud City) still stamped with the LFL 1983 on all of the figures.

Email me if you are interested

evenflow
08-29-2002, 09:05 AM
If this is true, amazing. I will not be getting my hopes up, but i would love to see a ROTJ Jabba the Hutt, Bubo, and Yarna Da'l Gargan. I hope that Hasbro really comes through with this.

hango fett
08-29-2002, 11:08 AM
sounds like a good thing. i hope they make it and do a giood job!
h

bigbarada
08-29-2002, 11:53 AM
Strangely enough, I am slightly more excited about the prospect of a new Gamorrean Guard than I am about Jabba. Maybe it's because I like the Gamorreans so much and the POTF2 version was sooooo bad.

Prince Xizor
08-29-2002, 12:29 PM
Finally, a decent Jabba. I skipped on the original, but I did pick up the Glob version. Its good, but not good enough.

I can't wait.

Darth Evil
08-29-2002, 02:39 PM
I've never found Jabba. So, hopefully this is true and I'll finally get one.

Adam
08-29-2002, 04:15 PM
Hopefully they make Bubo the right size.. I read somewhere he was supposed to be bigger than RotJ makes him out to be.

Jargo
08-29-2002, 04:22 PM
Waiting waiting waiting, until the fall/winter, winter/spring toyshows and previews of coming attractions.................. Don't believe the hype. I swear I'm giving up the rumours, I used to be an eighty a day man and now I'm down to ten. Hope to quit by xmas..............

Beast
08-29-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Adam
Hopefully they make Bubo the right size.. I read somewhere he was supposed to be bigger than RotJ makes him out to be.
Well, you can see Bubo right near Boushh (Princess Leia) and Chewbacca when they enter Jabba's Throne Room. So he's not all that big. Rappertunie better come with Yarna, if they really are doing her, instead of another Salicious Crumb. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plo koon 200
08-29-2002, 05:58 PM
Actually there was a second Jabba figure that came out in 199. It came with a Two-headed announcer and was in the beast assortment. The figure was somewhat hard to find.

Old Fossil
08-29-2002, 07:21 PM
They should make Jabba with eyelids that you can open or close, to simulate him sleeping. I love the part where Bib Fortuna rouses him from slumber, slightly disoriented.

Old Fossil
08-29-2002, 07:22 PM
Uh, we are all just DREAMING here, right?

Jargo
08-29-2002, 08:44 PM
Jabba with two headed annuncer is all over the place like a rash. People can't give them away over here.... well a few months ago they couldn't. Seriously no-one wanted them and they were everywhere. And technically the two headed announcer is one of the only tue variants of a figure it being based on production design not finished movie digital artwork. Fode and Beed came later as the true figure but Hex and Rex are a true variant and as such deserve to be up there in the pantheon of bad mistakes alongside blue snaggletooth and booster rockets R2 and snap on coverings 3PO.

thespar
08-29-2002, 10:04 PM
i would like a new jabba but i would like a new gamorren guard beacuse i miis the potf but hearing all of you guys talk i am glad

Adam
08-30-2002, 12:08 AM
Oh, well either I read it wrong, or remember it wrong. Anyway thanks JJB.