PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart????

Jedi Drew
08-30-2002, 03:11 PM
I went to Wal-Mart in Cleveland Hts. today to kill some time and do a "Hunt" for figures while my mother was at the doctors office. Well, they didn't have one SW figure at all. :eek: :eek: So I asked the one guy that was stocking the toy dept. if they had any SW figures???:confused: :confused: He told me that they shipped all the figures to other stores. That they weren't selling here. I walked around the whole toy dept. and did NOT see one SW item. Has anyone else run into this problem????:confused: :confused: HH......

Jayspawn
08-30-2002, 03:35 PM
Thats poodoo! Are they opening more Wal-Marts in your area? Thye may not have a shipment soon enough so they had to get some from another store. I believe Star Wars makes Wal-Mart a lot of money. It's not likely that Wal-Mart would just 'not carry' Star Wars toys.

Thunderstorm1
08-30-2002, 04:38 PM
There is a new Super Wal-Mart that Just opened here, and last week they did not have any SW Toys either except 3 12" Watto from Episode I.

Talk about sucking, I thought for sure a new store would be well stocked. Go Figure!

Vortex
08-30-2002, 04:59 PM
That happened in MN quite a few months before Ep II came out.

The only store to actually have the figs were the TRU stores. Target, Kmart, FAO, KB all dumped them from their pegs unless there was an exclusive then you'd see some old beat up figs to go with it.

Either they didn't order any more shipments or they needed to make room. With Harry Potter, Two Towers, and christmas around the corner, I would have guessed the star wars isle would vanish pretty soon here. The isles have been thining around here for months now. About a month or so after Ep II came out the demand was already falling and some stores drastically downsized.

It happens...and people still think this line will last to 2008. I remember when the vintage disapeared in the blink of an eye in the 80's shortly after RTOJ.

Captain Trips
08-30-2002, 05:02 PM
Aisles here have been steadily shrinking for months, but nobody has outrught gotten rid of everything.

Still, you never know. tjovonovich is right, the vintage line seemed to be here one day and then gone the next. It wouldn't surprise me to see it happen again.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-30-2002, 05:04 PM
I think all of those figures were sent to my store in Orem, UT. There are tons of royal guards, ERSs, and other figures clogging the shelves. I wish we could get rid of some here.

Another great example of distribution gone awry. :rolleyes:

Vortex
08-30-2002, 05:08 PM
I remember when the old coin cards came out shortly before christmas, and I picked up 2 cause that's all my allowance would cover before the holidays. When I went out shopping after the holidays all the stuff was gone. Even for months after that, nothing. Not a spot of star wars anywhere.

You'd think since this was movie 2 of 3, the hype would be huge, we'd have a ton of figs to buy and merchandise up to our ears, but yet, its like the line is slowly fading out.

Prince Xizor
08-30-2002, 05:53 PM
My Walmart still has an entire side of an aisle dedicated to Star Wars Toys. Mind you I haven't seen any new figs since Chewie (Minus the Walmart exclusive Cantina's), so maybe they are going to cut it down soon.

TylerD
08-30-2002, 05:59 PM
I think that the main problem with this whole situation is Episode I merchandising....Remember when they had Star Wars slapped on everything from plates, to towels, to shampoo, to skateboards, to blankets....you get the idea. There were about 85 different Star Wars items for sale at any particular store at any particular time after Episode I. It really ruined some stores when all that stuff wouldn't sell.....Then when the Episode II came around, stores forgot all about it, and ordered Waaaay too many figures. You'd think that the stores would have learned their lessons....but, at least there weren't so many Star Wars items this time around. The fact that figures aren't selling anymore may put a damper on the future of the Star Wars action figure line.....

Rogue II
08-30-2002, 06:15 PM
I was just in a Walmart in Maryland. I walked down the aisle where SW figures are normally....and there wern't any. I saw the Saga ships and Reek sitting way on the top shelf, but no figures.

I started to panic;). I started to wander around the rest of the store. About half way back next to the tool and outdoor stuff, there were 2 clearance aisles. All the Saga figures were sitting on the shelves there, but they were not on clearance. Of course the newest basic figure thy had was Bespin Luke/Vader, and Mace and they had the Deluxe Anakin and Nexu. No Cantina sets.

It was strange.

Vortex
08-30-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by TylerD
I think that the main problem with this whole situation is Episode I merchandising....Remember when they had Star Wars slapped on everything from plates, to towels, to shampoo, to skateboards, to blankets....you get the idea. There were about 85 different Star Wars items for sale at any particular store at any particular time after Episode I. It really ruined some stores when all that stuff wouldn't sell.....Then when the Episode II came around, stores forgot all about it, and ordered Waaaay too many figures. You'd think that the stores would have learned their lessons....but, at least there weren't so many Star Wars items this time around. The fact that figures aren't selling anymore may put a damper on the future of the Star Wars action figure line.....

True to a certain point, but lets toss this out, granted times have changed, kids have other things to keep their attention, good old nintendo, netscape, and nickolodian. (Did I spell that right?) Anyway I remember when RTOJ was out, you couldn't buy anything without chewie, wicket, luke, darth, or leia on it. I had trapper keepers, folders, pencils, stickers, drinking glasses, lunch boxes, kids shoes, undies, trading cards. I know I'm forgetting items but that was worse than Ep I.

I do agree Episode I super saturated the shops, and did impact the items for Ep II, but I don't think Ep I is the total blame. I think its the kids and demand for the items. Toys have always been fickle, king of the world one minuet, freebees the next. I don't think the demand for star wars is as big as it was, and I still have a hard time believing that its impacting kids of this generation like it did with us.

TylerD
08-30-2002, 06:41 PM
Very true tj...I have never seen one child looking at Star Wars toys at WM....

Vortex
08-30-2002, 06:45 PM
Same here and I go on weekends when I'm out getting soap and junk.

tagmac
08-30-2002, 07:00 PM
Unfortunately, you still see the scalpers loading up on these things, so on the rare occasions these stores put out new cases, we collectors still can't get anything.

hango fett
08-30-2002, 07:50 PM
oooooohh! not a good thing! glad i found darth maul sith training when i did! they better not do that here! idiots.........
h

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-30-2002, 07:59 PM
Something like that happened to me last weekend. My dad and I were driving home from Canada and stopped over in New York. We went to a shopping center that had a KB Toys Outlet. I asked where their Star Wars figures were, and the employee said they didn't carry ANY! No Saga, no POTJ, NOTHING!

Rogue II
08-30-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
Something like that happened to me last weekend. My dad and I were driving home from Canada and stopped over in New York. We went to a shopping center that had a KB Toys Outlet. I asked where their Star Wars figures were, and the employee said they didn't carry ANY! No Saga, no POTJ, NOTHING!

I haven't seen Star Wars toys in KB Outlet stores since the end of last year. When I did see them, it was Episode I and some POTF2 Cinema Scenes and a few Deluxe figures. Outlet stores don't normally get new items. It is all stuff that didn't sell at the regular stores.

Big Chewie
09-01-2002, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I was just in a Walmart in Maryland. I walked down the aisle where SW figures are normally....and there wern't any. I saw the Saga ships and Reek sitting way on the top shelf, but no figures.

I started to panic;). I started to wander around the rest of the store. About half way back next to the tool and outdoor stuff, there were 2 clearance aisles. All the Saga figures were sitting on the shelves there, but they were not on clearance. Of course the newest basic figure thy had was Bespin Luke/Vader, and Mace and they had the Deluxe Anakin and Nexu. No Cantina sets.

It was strange.

I think Iwas at that same store the other day and just by chance found those figures.
WM near Ann Arundel mills mall off 295?

Big Chewie

BTW Hasbro'sBountyHunter
none of the KB outlets around here have figures, just those Darth Maul lightsabers

Rogue II
09-01-2002, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Big Chewie

I think Iwas at that same store the other day and just by chance found those figures.
WM near Ann Arundel mills mall off 295?

Big Chewie

BTW Hasbro'sBountyHunter
none of the KB outlets around here have figures, just those Darth Maul lightsabers

Actually it was the one in Clinton near Andrews AFB. I went to the WM next to Anne Arundel yesterday and it was the same way. By the way, I got the last Greedo.:D

Turbowars
09-01-2002, 05:03 PM
The SW stuff in Lancaster CA has been reduced from a 20 foot section to a 4 foot section and there hasn't been anything new but the 12" Dooku wave. I asked the girl that works in the section and she said they can't order SW toys, what and when they get is up to Hasblow. Who knows????? The stores always act like it's a big secret and they have know clue. When I ask other store, I always get this as an answer, "What we have is on the pegs"

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-02-2002, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by TylerD
I think that the main problem with this whole situation is Episode I merchandising....Remember when they had Star Wars slapped on everything from plates, to towels, to shampoo, to skateboards, to blankets....you get the idea. There were about 85 different Star Wars items for sale at any particular store at any particular time after Episode I. It really ruined some stores when all that stuff wouldn't sell.....

I think they way overdid it when they had the official Star Wars Episode I enema bags. That is where I drew the line.

Right Howdy? ;)

boss nass
09-02-2002, 01:11 AM
LOL I got those!!! J/K

LTBasker
09-02-2002, 01:23 AM
My Wal-Mart hasn't gotten a new shipment since... I think last month! I don't know what the deal is, theres plenty of stuff out, and their selection is dwindling. I know they really down-sized the Star Wars section due to the peg-warmers but this is sad... I've got direct contact with the toy managar and she has even said that theres been nothing new in.

TylerD
09-02-2002, 01:45 AM
LOL LBC, I LOVED those things....I bought ALL of them when they went on clearance....LOL ;)

LTBasker,
My Wal-mart has not had to reduce their SW aisle so drastically - YET. Still full of pegwarmers. The only relatively new things to come in were the cantina sets three weeks ago. Oh, they did get the new 12 inch Dooku wave in....but other than those.....DIDDLY SQUAT

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-02-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter

Hey HBH, that wouldn't have happened to been a KB Outlet located in Niagara Falls, NY?

That store is pretty pitiful as far as getting SW merchandise. The last time I went in there to get figures, all they had that was Star Wars related, were Episode 1 Darth Maul Halloween Costumes on clearance.

Last year they had a few of the Cinema Scenes and a lot of Monkey-Faced Leias and such but they have all since been sold.

JEDIpartner
09-03-2002, 11:17 AM
It's been more Harry Potter and LOTR and less Star Wars as the weeks go by. Very sad. Very stupid.

Rogue II
09-03-2002, 11:32 AM
...and He-Man, and Zoids, and some other stuff.

I've also have noticed that Harry Potter and LOTR stuff has been taking over the space Star Wars occupied. I did manage to get all 3 Cantina Sets, so I am content for now.

Jedi Drew
09-03-2002, 12:53 PM
Yep...was just at Wally World in Strongsville and they have MAYBE a 12 ft section of SW that consisted of mostly empty pegs and shelves. But then you look at the Harry Potter and other "Stuff" and those sections are filled up to the brim with toys. What's up Hasblow....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ???????

OriginalBryGuy
09-04-2002, 04:20 PM
So I asked the one guy that was stocking the toy dept. if they had any SW figures???

Most stock people don't know what the hell is going on.

Val Da Car
09-04-2002, 04:55 PM
Do most ever?

Vortex
09-04-2002, 05:20 PM
There are a few that keep with what's going on.

Back in the day when I worked at TRU, I knew when the truck was coming in and what was on it. Another gal knew what was coming for the summer, and a rough count.

Not everyone is a post that stocks.

Val Da Car
09-04-2002, 05:33 PM
I completely agree it is just that some of the people that are out front have no clue what is on the truck even when the box is marked.

I have been in my TRU and seen both sides of the coin. A delivery comes in on Friday night and done by Saturday before the store opens and sometimes on Saturday night they haven't started on it yet.:confused:

Vortex
09-04-2002, 06:30 PM
Yup the weekend crew, or part timers, don't pay much attention just as long as they still get their checks every other friday.