PDA

View Full Version : Who saw the pretender GNR on MTV last night?

El Chuxter
08-30-2002, 04:43 PM
That was the most disgusting hoax I've ever seen! An old psycho who likes to pretend he's still in his glory days even though he loses his breath after one verse of the first song? And what was that "band" he had? Looks like after he fired the real talent, he went to a stinking circus looking for half-witted clowns to fill out the roster!

Sorry, but it's not GNR without Slash. Axl and Slash are both as vital to that band as Mick and Keith are to the Stones. Without either, it's not the same.

And Axl looks like he could take tips in aging well from David Lee Roth. Not to mention that even Brian Wilson thinks he's completely insane.

From here forward, I propose that we all refer to anything after The Spaghetti Incident? as the work of a bad cover band called The-b*****d-cover-band-stealing-the-name-of-one
-of-the-greatest-bands-of-all-time-whose-name-I-shall-not-defile
-by-mentioning-it-in-the-same-sentence-as-Axl's-current-gang-of-losers.
W Axl Rose needs to be flogged with whips soaked in yak spit. Any solo release by any of the other Gunners is a million times better than the garbage he does with his cover band. Yes, even Duff's pretty miserable Believe In Me. :eek:

Viva Guns Sans Rose!

derek
08-30-2002, 04:58 PM
El Chuxter,

i prefer "the axl rose band":) seriously, i don't know why he dosen't use that name for his band. it's been so long since they put an album out, half the music buying public has no idea who Guns 'n Roses is anyway.

i didn't see the performance, were they really bad, or do you just miss the glory days of Guns n' Roses?

just curious, but did you have the same reaction when metallica cut their hair?:)

El Chuxter
08-30-2002, 05:57 PM
I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the glory days, but. . . . :(

The performance last night was disappointing, even after the huge letdown that was "Oh My God" on the End of Days soundtrack three years ago. I should say that I think Buckethead's a pretty good guitarist, and I like some of his solo stuff, but have him playing classic GNR licks and the difference between pretty good and excellent becomes painfully obvious.

And the look was wrong! I know I'm being a bit hypoctrical, as I preach about the music being important, but it was ridiculous. The last time we saw GNR, there was a slightly nuts lead singer leading four (five if you count Dizzy) guys who made street rats look good. Last night, Axl and Dizzy looked the same--only older. The drummer was a normal-looking dude, the bassist looked like he was trying to be in some grunge band (and trying to steal Duff McKagen's latter-day spiked hairdo). One guitarist (Finck?) looks like a reject from Marilyn Manson, wearing heavy makeup. And Buckethead. . . Jeeeeez, I thought it was a stage name! He had a white mask, a yellow raincoat, and (of course) a big bucket on his head--he seriously looked like a deranged clown!

I can't wait to hear what the other Gunners (who I seriously think should start a band called Guns Sans Rose*) think of this mockery.

And, BTW, I'm probably the only longtime Metallica fan alive who didn't mind when they cut their hair and actually prefers the post-Justice days.

*--Guns Sans Rose features Slash on lead guitar; Gilby and Izzy trading off rhythm guitar, second lead guitar, and vocals; Duff on bass and vocals; Matt on drums; and the Suicide Horns. :crazed:

2-1B
08-30-2002, 06:17 PM
Was that a KFC bucket with "Funeral" written below it? :(

Master Goeweins
08-30-2002, 07:03 PM
That was really pathetic. And leave it to MTV to make all the announcers react like music history had just happened. What a joke..... I dont' really listen to that kind of music anymore, but I was still excited to see what was going to go down. Axl started singing and did a little jog on stage, then he just started wheezing and could barely do a song line without breaking for a breath. And to get so excited about a GNR return when the band really wasn't there..... just kind of sad.......

DarthBrandon
08-30-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
That was the most disgusting hoax I've ever seen! An old psycho who likes to pretend he's still in his glory days even though he loses his breath after one verse of the first song? And what was that "band" he had? Looks like after he fired the real talent, he went to a stinking circus looking for half-witted clowns to fill out the roster!

Sorry, but it's not GNR without Slash. Axl and Slash are both as vital to that band as Mick and Keith are to the Stones. Without either, it's not the same.

And Axl looks like he could take tips in aging well from David Lee Roth. Not to mention that even Brian Wilson thinks he's completely insane.

From here forward, I propose that we all refer to anything after The Spaghetti Incident? as the work of a bad cover band called The-b*****d-cover-band-stealing-the-name-of-one
-of-the-greatest-bands-of-all-time-whose-name-I-shall-not-defile
-by-mentioning-it-in-the-same-sentence-as-Axl's-current-gang-of-losers.

W Axl Rose needs to be flogged with whips soaked in yak spit. Any solo release by any of the other Gunners is a million times better than the garbage he does with his cover band. Yes, even Duff's pretty miserable Believe In Me. :eek:

Viva Guns Sans Rose!

In my opinion it was a p*ss poor performance that Axel gave to the audience and the band looked like something from out of a bad horror movie. It was definitely not vintage GNR from where I was sitting, I didn't even know who it was until I heard Axel trying to sing or catch his breath, or whatever came first.

You are correct in saying that it's not GNR anymore without the key members of the band. The new band name should be Axel and his band of freaks that couldn't sing or play if their lives depended on it. No chemistry what so ever, not like the original band had of course. They need Slash more than ever right now, so Axel might as well take the stick out of his A** and hire him back. What the hell is going on in his pea brain anyways? Too much booze and drugs has probably clouded his vision. It's time for him to wake up and smell the coffee for God's sake!:)

I love the old stuff, but I'm not even interested at all in the new material, so I won't be buying any of that crap what so ever. They are in my opinion remnants of what could have been a great band that lost their way and key band members, to become just another has been group in the eyes of many.:dead: :zzz: :(

derek
08-30-2002, 10:18 PM
this new guns 'n roses album has to be really bad. how many years has it been delayed now? it seems like it was supposed to come out the last 2 summers in a row. i have not heard any of the new songs, but i heard the band got decent reviews when they played las vegas last new year's eve.

i just don't get bands like GNR or van halen who kep the same name when key members leave. sure i hope eddie van halen and axl rose put out new music, but the marketing ploy of keeping the same band name is kinda lame when it isn't the same band .:)

at least billy corgan isn't calling his new band the smashing pumpkins, even though it is 2/3 of the old group.:)

bigbarada
08-30-2002, 11:10 PM
I am a latecomer to GNR and didn't really get into their stuff until a couple of years ago. My favorite album has to be Use Your Illusion II (or whichever one had the blue cover).

As for Metallica, I didn't really get interested in their music until the black album and really loved the Load and Re-Load albums. The best music in their library IMO. Didn't their bassist just quit though? Any word on a new one? Or the continued existence of the band?

2-1B
08-30-2002, 11:18 PM
Well, there is no replacement 'Tallica bassist yet, but recently when they showed up to do a club gig, Bob Rock filled in on bass. :)

I love both Illusions albums, I can't choose a favorite. But I kinda lead toward I, I love Alice Cooper being on "The Garden", and Izzy doing vox on "Double Talkin' Jive" is GREAT. :happy:

Wow, now I need to get out all of their CDs and have a listen !

Darth Nihilus
08-31-2002, 10:12 AM
Use Your Illusions 1 and 2 were great works, but tame and pale compared to Appetite for Destruction. 'Sweet Child o' Mine' and 'Paradise City' are two of my favourite songs ever.

El Chuxter
08-26-2005, 02:01 PM
There are a bunch of GNR-related threads, but this seemed to be the most appropriate one for the news story I just read:

Axl Rose Sued by Former Bandmates (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050826/ap_en_mu/people_guns_n__roses;_ylt=Aqub9yWD2pdpIF111HI5fX9x Fb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

See, Caesar, you're not the only prospector here.

2-1B
08-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Yeah, sounds like a real mess there !

This is one of the reasons why people are so particular in who gets songwriter credit. The ramifications really are eternal, well I guess unless the publishing rights are sold to somebody else (like Michael Jackson).

This whole thing about W. Axl directing royalties to wherever, well it sounds curious. lol
I hope everything works out well for Saul and Michael. Bill better pay up what's owed !

El Chuxter
12-13-2005, 09:27 PM
This looks like as good a place as any to ask this question:

Anyone know what happened to the 2-disc GNR hits package that was scheduled for release later this month?

From Yahoo ! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051118/music_nm/guns_dc_1), dated 11/17/05:

Another Guns N' Roses hits package due next month
Thu Nov 17, 9:02 PM ET

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Geffen Records has set a December 20 release date for its second Guns N' Roses hits package in less than two years.

The double-disc set "Welcome to the Jungle -- The Very Best of Guns N' Roses" follows "Greatest Hits," which has sold 2.5 million copies in the United States since its release in March 2004, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The track list for the new package has yet to be announced.

Guns N' Roses, which now features lone original member Axl Rose, has been at work for years on a new studio album, "Chinese Democracy." It is unknown when the album will see the light of day.

Just curious. This showed up on amazon.com and a few other online retailers immediately after the article hit, but with no track listing. I wanted to check just now to see if maybe there were some cool rarities or anything, but the listing seems to have vanished from every site....

JimJamBonds
12-15-2005, 11:38 AM
I just did a search on Amazon and I didn't find anything on this hits package. As it was said in the article when is Chinese Democracy coming out? :D

El Chuxter
12-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Chinese Democracy was supposed to come out "this summer". . . every year for the past 12 years or so. :)

Apparently, Axl's nuts and keeps firing people. Every time he fires someone, he goes back and wipes all the tapes and starts over from scratch. Even Buckethead got fed up with his lunacy and left.

One thing that actually may be interesting to hear, if it still exists: at one point in the mid-90s, when Axl was still trying for a Nine Inch Nails sound, Shaquille O'Neal was recording an album down the hall and rapped on a GNR track. As far as celebrities who decide to put out albums go, Shaq is somewhat credible, having performed pretty well on Fu-Shnickens' "What's Up Doc? (Can We Rock)."

CaptainSolo1138
12-15-2005, 07:29 PM
mE AM bIZARRO gUNS n rOSES! mE AM GREATEST IDEA EVER!!! mE AM THINK bUCKETHEAD AM SUPER CREATIVE IDEA!!! aXL AM LOOK GOOD, TOO!!!

El Chuxter
12-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Sad thing is, I've heard some of Buckethead's pre-GNR stuff. He's not bad. He's definitely no Slash, though, and the KFC bucket indicates a serious mental problem, but he's pretty good.

Rocketboy
12-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Hell, I'd wear a bucket too if I were in that so-called "GNR" thing.

CaptainSolo1138
12-16-2005, 06:49 AM
Sad thing is, I've heard some of Buckethead's pre-GNR stuff. He's not bad. He's definitely no Slash, though, and the KFC bucket indicates a serious mental problem, but he's pretty good.
That's pretty interesting, Chux. I'd like to hear him outside of the GNR mess.

As far as the goofy costume thing, it worked pretty well for Wes Borland. So I guess more power to ya, buddy.

El Chuxter
10-07-2006, 11:29 AM
By the way, if anyone cares anymore, I saw this this morning. For what it's worth. :rolleyes:

From Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/launch/20061006/en_launch/36219600;_ylt=AundyB0cY6AUv7KzoYAu8MSVEhkF;_ylu=X3 oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--):

Guns 'confirm' "Chinese Democracy"

The new Guns N' Roses album will be released next month, it has been claimed.

Chinese Democracy has been mooted for around a decade by Axl Rose, the only surviving member of the band since their days of rock 'n' roll world domination.

However with the group recently completing a relatively successful and trouble-free European tour and scheduling more dates in the U.S., new recordings also seem imminent.

According to claims in Rolling Stone this week, Chinese Democracy has officially been scheduled for an American release date of November 21.

Earlier in the week, a cryptic statement from the group backed up such speculation, insisting "there are 13 Tuesdays left between now and the end of the year."

There has so far been no official confirmation on these reports.

I'll believe it when I see it. If it sounds good, I'll buy it when I see it, but there's no point in making that assumption, is there?

JimJamBonds
10-07-2006, 11:49 PM
The new Guns N' Roses album will be released next month, it has been claimed.

That is THE key part from the article.... CLAIMED! We've been hearing about it for so many years untill its on the shelf I don't care... and even then I probably won't care.

2-1B
10-08-2006, 02:32 AM
I'll be curious to hear what Guns 'N' Posers have to offer with this "new" record...

El Chuxter
03-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Still no word on the new record. The biggest GNR fansite is apparently shutting down in protest. Like that'll do a lot of good. :rolleyes:

The saddest thing is, no matter what the album turns out to be, there's been so much that's been recorded and Axl has destroyed (or at least buried) after every personnel change. It can never live up to the expectations. Call me nuts, but I'd like to hear some of the tracks with Buckethead (who, despite the moronic gimmick, is a pretty good guitarist), or the duet with Shaquille O'Neal.

However, for some more positive GNR news, it looks like Izzy Stradlin is putting free downloads of his concerts on his official site (http://www.chopaway.com/audio.html).

There's also a statement that his entire catalog will be available on iTunes. Hopefully that's not just the two that were released stateside, but the half dozen or so that were only in Japan as well.

Maybe the ne'er-released Duff McKagen second album could follow suit. Everything I read about it said it was much better than his first, because he took it more seriously and didn't make nonstop references to "a f***ing bottle in mah hand!"

bobafrett
03-23-2007, 10:47 PM
I actually heard a song played on the radio from the "upcoming" GNR album. It stunk big time. Time to get your shovel out Axl, nobody cares anymore.

Rocketboy
03-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Maybe the ne'er-released Duff McKagen second album could follow suit. Everything I read about it said it was much better than his first, because he took it more seriously and didn't make nonstop references to "a f***ing bottle in mah hand!"Not anytime soon, with Velvet Revolver's 2nd album about to be released in June.

As far as I'm concerned, GNR died after Use You Illusion.

El Chuxter
03-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Duff's second album was totally in the can in 1998. It was slated for a 1999 release, and promo copies sent to reviewers got glowing reviews.

But a merger of Geffen and another company (Electra?) resulted in their axing a large number of acts with "substandard" sales numbers. Duff, being judged solely on the "strength" of the mediocre Believe in Me, was one of the first cuts, as was (I believe) Slash's Snakepit (which is why their incredibly weak second album is on an independent label). Never mind that they kept GNR.

Beautiful Disease has since become a legend. Though impossible to find, the few who have heard it maintain it's the best GNR solo album (or damned close to it). I've heard reports of admittedly homemade copies of the album going for upwards of $100.

2-1B
03-24-2007, 12:06 PM
I saw a guy last year at a horror movie convention dressed like Buckethead. I'll have to find a pic.