PDA

View Full Version : ABS Computers???

JediDan
08-30-2002, 07:15 PM
I am looking for a new computer and am narrowing it down to a few. Any comments or things I should know about ABS Computers?? How are the AMD Athlon XP processors compared to Pentium 4?? Does the wattage really make a big difference? What makes more wattage better??? Good sound cards for Mp3's???? Good speakers???

Things have REALLY changed since I last bought a computer and I don't understand all this new stuff. I mean you got different types of ram. You can get different wattage and on and on and on.:eek: Any comments would really be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.... :)

Nexu
08-30-2002, 09:29 PM
AMD's are much better than P4's are. P4's run inefficiently, at a higher clock speed. AMD's run very efficient, with a low clock speed. {P3's are more efficient than the P4's are.}
With a higher watt power supply, you can run more fans, pereferials<sp>, and PCI cards.
DDR (Double Data Rate) RAM is the best way to go right now, but if you go P4, the new 32 bit Rambus is supposed to be better, no more having to match up the sizes of the RAM chips, like you used to have to.
Anything else? :)

thespar
08-30-2002, 10:43 PM
Nexu is correct about amd beign better the intel. you should find out it the cpu will be on a recommend motherboard by amd. you hould see if the cpu has a 1 year ir 3 years warrenty you can check the cpu out at www.amd.com. the high watts are alos used to help run the faster cpu. as far a sound cards you can not go wrong with any that are made by sound blaster. if you are a looking for a good video card go with a ati. JediDan if you have any questions about pc you can pm. i answer any question you have. so you now in hardware tech.