PDA

View Full Version : Return of the VINTAGE-style Cardbacks!!!

Tycho
10-23-2001, 02:07 AM
This could determine the Episode 2 cardback style:

In Hasbro's Voting Chamber (not the bracket tournament) you can vote on your favorite packaging (card backs). VINTAGE's full pictures are up there vs. POTF2, E1, POTJ, etc.

Looks like they're going to see if we want vintage style packaging back again.

HECK YEAH!

They show Obi-Wan Kenobi on:

1) 12-back, ANH

2) Return of the Jedi (still vintage - full size pic, but splits vintage votes)

3) POTF2 (green card Holosticker)

4) POTJ (Millennium Falcon, Jedi Training)

5) E1 (Jedi Apprentice, soft goods)

Currently, Power of the Jedi (??? !#$@!!!) is winning because Hasbro must want to self-aggrandize itself, as POTJ is better than any modern card - however, with VINTAGE split between ANH and ROTJ, each old-school style gets only half the votes, and POTJ takes the lead).

Defeat the evil plans of Hasbro's self-congratulating marketing team and show 'em we want full-size right-out-of-the-movie action photo cards like the old days.

I strongly urge you to log on to Hasbro's site and vote for Obi-Wan's card from Return of the Jedi (better picture) and poor the heat on! POTJ is going down!

(if you all absolutely agree it should be the ANH card, then make it that one. But don't let them split the VINTAGE vote! ROTJ actually says the movie name, though. Not just "Star Wars." In that case, new figure packages could say "Attack of the Clones" not just Star Wars.)

So I thought I'd make that distinction about the two choices of VINTAGE card backs.

Let's go guys. The Force is with us!

GNT
10-23-2001, 04:35 AM
I think its too late for Hasbro to change the cards now to vintage style....

JEDIpartner
10-23-2001, 10:24 AM
Well... even if YOU think it is... It may not be! ;)

Seriously... let's tell Hasbro what we want! After all... they have gone back to the custom cards, so why not get the picture large enough to see and appreciate. This is what made collecting the vintage line so much fun!

Great graphics and sturdy products!

Kenner's customer satisfaction motto: "WE REALLY DO CARE!"

Hasbro's customer satisfaction motto: "WE WANT YOUR MONEY!"

stillakid
10-23-2001, 10:28 AM
Is this an election year?

I kinda like the original vintage cards best. But what I really want to see is a return to the vintage "backs" where we can see what has come out and what to expect in the near future. You know, a checklist!

Mandalorian Candidat
10-23-2001, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by GNT
I think its too late for Hasbro to change the cards now to vintage style....

Well, it's definitely too late now because they're being packaged in lame-o full-bubble cards. See starwars.hasbro.com for the pix.

stillakid
10-23-2001, 07:16 PM
It's interesting. I don't particularly like it, but then again, the guys are liberated from the packaging in my house so it doesn't matter too much.

GNT
10-24-2001, 12:33 AM
It has that vintage feel to it,but cool nonethe less!

JediTricks
10-24-2001, 01:11 AM
Vintage should stay in the past.

GNT
10-24-2001, 02:18 AM
Vintage should never stay in the past,if it wasn't for the vintage line we wouldn't have anything at all :)

JediTricks
10-24-2001, 08:41 AM
If vint didn't stay in the past, we'd still have figures that look nothing like the actors that do nothing but stand at attention. We move forward because otherwise we stagnate, ie - the original '85 POTF line's quick demise. Vint is fun and nostalgic, but do you really think there'd be a ton of SW collectors these days if Darth Vader still wore a vinyl sleeveless trenchcoat or 12" Luke had a Ken-doll face or Stormtroopers had no neck?

Mandalorian Candidat
10-24-2001, 08:45 AM
I don't see what the big problem is. Why can't we combine the best of both lines and get the newer, better sculpts and accessories while having something more like the vintage line with a full color picture of each character on the card?

bigbarada
10-24-2001, 09:19 AM
I'm all for a full color picture of the characters. And I agree about vintage staying in the past. Sure the constant resculpts are annoying, but I remember wondering for years why Kenner never resculpted Darth Vader when they had a chance; or Chewie or the Stormtrooper.

Nostalgia is what holds my interest in the vintage line, because there is no way they can hold a candle to today's sculpting. Actually the playability and accessories to the vintage line was best too, but that's another issue.

Obi-Don
10-24-2001, 09:37 AM
I would like them to keep improving on the figures but a vintage looking card would bring back alot of memories.

Lobito
10-24-2001, 07:31 PM
At least the back of the card...where they show all the figures produced...if they cant do that, they can at least give us a catalog...yep, a COMPLETE catalog...u know...divided by lines...POTF2...FB....Commetech....EpI...POTJ...an d of course the beasts, ships, vehicles playsets..etc...that way we wont have to spend top $$ for a book that includes them all...who remembers the vintage cataloges???...Those were catalogs...not the crap that Hasbro includes in the larger SW toys...:eek:

bigbarada
10-24-2001, 07:42 PM
Hasbro seemed to be on the right track with POTJ cardbacks, then they change back to the new POTJ cards with only four or five figures on the back.:mad:

JediTricks
10-25-2001, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
I don't see what the big problem is. Why can't we combine the best of both lines and get the newer, better sculpts and accessories while having something more like the vintage line with a full color picture of each character on the card? Because Hasbro wants packaging as cheap and generic as possible, and big photos of the character would negate that.

stillakid
10-25-2001, 09:43 AM
What about a white card with those 6 squares?:rolleyes: