PDA

View Full Version : Padme CA error sticker fix... was this Hasbro's fault?

JediTricks
08-31-2002, 02:20 AM
If you haven't seen the news of this yet: http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=484

Basically, Hasbro originally had the cardback of this figure explaining that Padme was worried about the Queen of Naboo when it was actually a decoy; the sticker replaced that with the proper story of it being Padme's decoy.

I'm wondering, is this Hasbro's fault for misinterpretting the beginning of Ep 2, or did Lucas actually change the meaning of the decoy after Hasbro made up this cardback? The latter isn't so impossible, this has definitely happened before, especially here in Ep 2 where we had:

- R2-D2's alternate kouhun assassin centipedes
- Dexter Jettster's pipe sticker cover-up
- Jedi Starfighter without hyperdrive booster ring
- Deluxe Yoda and LEGO's Jedi Duel (Yoda vs Dooku) having a crane instead of pillars
- Count Dooku figure having 2 lightsabers and a hologram
- Anakin Hangar Duel having his destroyed lightsaber

There are others, IIRC, but that's quite a list to begin with. So did Hasbro borf or did Lucas change?

rynobot
08-31-2002, 02:56 AM
i thonk has bro messsed up, thid fig raseleses ed 3 months after the movie. no reason for rthe screw up

Beast
08-31-2002, 03:22 AM
Looks just like another case of the story being changed while a figure is already in production. It's nothing new, just like JT said. It happened with the E1 line, and it's happened with the E2 line. What do you expect when the figures take 10 months to go from concept to shelf? :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
08-31-2002, 03:26 AM
but why not fix them? its not like they shipped them 2 months before the movie?

Beast
08-31-2002, 03:31 AM
It would cost more to reprint all those cards, then it would for them to just print up stickers that fixes the cards. If they have to scrap all the cards, and then print new ones, that is going to cut into profits for the figure. If that happens too much, then they have to raise prices again. I can deal with a sticker for a $4.77 figure. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
08-31-2002, 03:34 AM
but they didn't sticker them all,did they? if they did then that is fine, but maybe Hasbro should wait to poduce the figs.

Beast
08-31-2002, 03:43 AM
Sometimes Hasbro misses a few, when they have to add a sticker. Or it wasn't caught until alot of them were already in cases and ready for shipping. In a perfect world, or back in 1977 that would be what Hasbro would do. But now a days the action figure and toy line that ties in with a movie has to actually be out before the movie comes out. Heck, even the vintage line had mistakes when they were releasing figures at the same time the movies were coming out. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
08-31-2002, 03:46 AM
yeah, hasbro doesn't car about anything except the benjermains, I cou;dn't agree more/less. :)

Beast
08-31-2002, 03:51 AM
If that's what you are interprating from my post, that is nowhere near what I stated. I assume that you care about your paychecks and the money you earn. So don't act like Hasbro shouldn't care about their paychecks and income. People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
08-31-2002, 03:52 AM
ok revenge of the jedi. ;)

rynobot
08-31-2002, 03:55 AM
Life in a Glass House is an awsome song, it's by RadioHead on the CD Amnesiac, it's truley a great peice of work. :)

hango fett
08-31-2002, 07:37 AM
i think it was a little bit of both...lucas probably changed and then hasbro said "let's follow lucas from here on out" which would have been after HD ani. i think the CA padme' was just a screw up. but that's just me!
h

JEDIpartner
08-31-2002, 10:20 AM
I'm more inclined to believe that it was something that was overlooked when there was a plot change. I mean, come on... you mean to tell me that NO ONE on the Hasblah production line even saw the film to say... "Hey! That's not right!!!"

I think that it was put into the computer and everyone thought it was a go... they started coming off the line and someone said... "Oh, crap! This is wrong!!! Get the stickers going!"

LTBasker
08-31-2002, 10:31 AM
Yeah, sounds like they had all the info down and they didn't realize that it was wrong until they started double checking stuff because that's not just simple typos that can happen. Seems more like they were too busy with other stuff and just didn't pay attention because they thought that the correct plot thing was still on there.

Most likely they'll change the card later on to not have stickers like the Super Battle Droid card and the Dexter and Luminara inserts.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-31-2002, 04:40 PM
What do you mean about R2's Kouhuns?

Lord Tenebrous
08-31-2002, 05:29 PM
The centipedes that come with Saga Artoo aren't the final CG model that was used in the film, it was what was available when the figure went into production.

I consider this something like Opee w/ Qui-Gon Jinn. Hasbro gets a very general idea of the plot while making the figures, but sometimes things get lost in translation.

I'd imagine that Hasbro interpreted the scene like it was shown in TPM - Queen Jamilla coming to Coruscant, and Senator Amidala waiting for her (rather than Palpatine waiting for Amidala).

JediTricks
09-04-2002, 08:39 PM
Anybody know if it was like this in earlier drafts of the script or anything? I'm told the book doesn't have this, but it could have been changed a lot easier since bookmaking is faster than toymaking.

JangoFart
09-06-2002, 09:09 AM
The spelling in here makes it "tuff" to keep up with what is INTENDING to be said.

Check that $hit before you hit the post button.

Geez.

J

Prince Xizor
09-06-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by JangoFart
The spelling in here makes it "tuff" to keep up with what is INTENDING to be said.

Check that crap before you hit the post button.

Geez.

J

Yeah, some of this writing is giving me a headache.