PDA

View Full Version : Long term storage

sith_killer_99
08-31-2002, 04:38 PM
I just called a local storage company, about storing a big chunk of my collection. The family has grown since I started collecting, and my daughter will probably be walking sooner than I think. We really need the extra room.

One of the better storage companies around here has climate controlled storage, 24/7 access, and electronic security. One 8X10 room (about 10 feet high so 8X10X10) is $50.00 per month.

I was wondering if anyone here has done long term storage? Is it worth it to use a climate controlled storage unit? Is $50.00 a reasonable price for something like this? Noone else around here has climate control.:mad: So I may be forced to go with these guys.

Any input would be great, good, bad, HORROR stories. Is it worth it, am I wasting my money?

I plan to store MOMC figures, along with a modest comic book collection.

rynobot
08-31-2002, 04:40 PM
you could put all your figs in star cases and your vehicles in those big plastic tubs that have lids that click when you close them.

sith_killer_99
08-31-2002, 04:52 PM
Some of my stuff IS in Star Cases, and I open all of my vehicles. I still need about 250 cases though.

Besides, the main problem is with housing space. I just don't have the room in the house right now. Military housing is fine for normal BASIC necessities. But a collection this size takes up a whole room.:eek:

rynobot
08-31-2002, 04:57 PM
ok, then buy those big plastic tubs and put you're carded figures in it. I can buy them at WaMart, dollar stores, anywhere petty much. I use them for more large basketball card collection that I had to put in storage. :)

jjreason
08-31-2002, 05:03 PM
You can do wonders with shelving SK99. My wife and I have 2 kids, and live in a former military house (3 bedroom, just over a thousand sq.ft total!) and Ive kept everything here. We built me a hallway table in the upstairs that runs about 1/3 the hallways width. Underneath the table are all my comics (14 long boxes and 3 short ones, and assorted rubbermaid containers of figures). I keep the rest of my loose figures in a rubbermade storage tower. My vehicles in boxes rest on top of the table, and my loose ones are in a big toy chest in my daughter's room. I have a lot of stuff, but my wife's creativity has led us to being able to have it all here.
If you have to get outside storage, Id recommend insuring the heck out of your collection. Good luck.

QLD
08-31-2002, 05:07 PM
I am so happy with the house I just bought. I actually have a huge finished basement, now I can display EVERYTHING! And have it look good! WOoooooooo! :)

Rogue II
08-31-2002, 05:11 PM
sith_killer_99, I feel your pain since I live in military housing as well and have a 1 year old daughter.

When I went to Korea for a year, my collection went into storage. I know it isn't exactly the same thing as what you are talking about. I think everything went into a warehouse. Nothing was damaged or warped due to the climate.

My figures were in plastic bins and eveything else was in cardboard boxes. My biggest fear is water damage. Heat is bad too, but I'm more afraid of mildew than the heat.

rynobot
08-31-2002, 05:11 PM
what about "levels"? :)

dr_evazan22
08-31-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
If you have to get outside storage, Id recommend insuring the heck out of your collection. Good luck.

Like someone else said, my biggest concern would be water and mildew. I would try to get a bin that is on higher ground if possible, and even then I would suggest not keeping anything on the floor (unless it was those tupperware totes). I've been collecting comics since I was 14 (now 32). A few years ago huricane Floyd hit and flooded the garage/basement and I lost about a third of my comics (10/30).

Insure against the elements and THEFT. just b/c there is some level of security you can still be ripped off. And unless you visit everyday you'll have no idea when it could have happened.

Another consideration is access... Oh, nevermind. O just scrolled down and saw that it has 24/7 access. How about holidays?

Good Luck!

Big Chewie
09-01-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
One of the better storage companies around here has climate controlled storage, 24/7 access, and electronic security. One 8X10 room (about 10 feet high so 8X10X10) is $50.00 per month.

I was wondering if anyone here has done long term storage? Is it worth it to use a climate controlled storage unit? Is $50.00 a reasonable price for something like this? Noone else around here has climate control.:mad: So I may be forced to go with these guys.

I currently have an 8x10x10 with no climate control, outside access, can only access from 7am to 7pm and am paying $125 per month. And yes that is the cheapest one within 20 miles of my home here in Maryland.
In Dallas that size runs about $75 w/o climate control.
I have never had any problems storing things but I would recomend plastic bins,just in case something leaks into it.

So your answers would be
Yes $50 is reasonable and go with a reputable (sp?) company
Yes go with climate control
Yes get insurance ( can be purchased from the storage place or an insurance agency pretty cheap)

DO NOT TELL THE STORAGE PLACE WHAT YOU ARE STORING!!!!!!
Just tell them some old stuff from your house or something

Hope this helps
Big Chewie

rynobot
09-01-2002, 01:52 AM
I'm paying around $40 a month, its a cheap place, but its worth it. I don't keep my figs in there yet, but once I run out of room in my house that is where they will go. :(

Big Chewie
09-01-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by rynobot
I'm paying around $40 a month, its a cheap place, but its worth it. I don't keep my figs in there yet, but once I run out of room in my house that is where they will go. :(

Maybe I should move up there. I am always going thru there anyways on my way to DA's store.
Do they have state income taxes up there?

BTW Rynobot thanks for the just found post. I was able to pick up Teemto & ki tonght.

rynobot
09-01-2002, 02:05 AM
cool, as for state taxes, I am pretty sure we have them, I think I remember seeing them on taken off on my paychecks, but I'm only 18 so I could be horribly mistaken. One thing I do know though is that there are no taxes when you retire in PA. :)

plasticfetish
09-01-2002, 03:55 AM
Yeah ... that sounds like a great price for that. I had a 10x10 storage unit for a while and it was $150 a month with no climate control. If it gets hot and humid where you are, that could really be important.

The upside on the storage place I had was that I knew the owners ... I knew it was a pretty secure place. I would just make sure that yours is too ... and then go buy those plastic totes.

sith_killer_99
09-01-2002, 08:31 AM
Wow, $75, $125, $150...I knew the cost of livingin Kentucky was low, but WOW.:eek:

I have done some more research and it looks like I will go with this storage place.

Thanks to everyone for the tips, plastic bins, insurance, climate control, and not telling them what is being stores.

I plan on throwing in a few pieces of furnature, and a box or 2 of seasonal clothes. So it won't be JUST my collection.

I also plan to keep my more expensive figures at home (Coll. 3 Freeze Frames, etc.)

Eternal Padawan
09-01-2002, 09:28 AM
In addition to heat, mildew, and moisture. Be aware of BUGS! :p My dad had a bunch of paperwork from his job in a storage place and when he went to get it, the place was CRAWLING with creepy crawlies. We had to bomb the whole shed before we could take anything out.

ROLLO!

Mar10Sir
09-01-2002, 08:52 PM
If you have loose items, be it figures or ships, make sure you isolate them from any padding material. Some plastics or dyes will stick to packaging materials (foam peanuts, e.g.) and may ruin your items a bit. Put them in plastic pags, THEN pad it with whatever.

Always pitch in a few silica gel bags to absorb moisture as well. Even in a temperature-controlled environment there might be condensation or slight humidity due to changes in temperature (from when you packaged your goods or if ther's a power failure).

Make sure you insure your collection in case of a fire or theft.

Obi-Don
09-02-2002, 07:09 AM
Sounds good to me. I would never put anything that inportant in storage in a place where the temp. can not be controled. I don't know how things are where you live,but here in the south it gets really hot. I have had somethings that I had in storage ruin because of the heat. Lucky for me my In-Laws have a temp. controled basement for me to store things now. I to have a baby on the way and had to turn the playroom in to the baby's room. So my collection has to go into storage until the baby gets old enough not to mess with all those small parts,if you know what I mean. Yes its worth the money and you are getting a good deal. I would pay more if I had to to protect the collection and other stuff you might store.

Darth Cruel
09-03-2002, 07:20 PM
I have had my collection in storage for more than three years now. I don't have climate control, but the unit is inside a building that keeps the temp from getting too hot. here in the Mojave desert it gets very warm.

I used to store my collection in what is now my son's closet. When we heated the house in the winter, it caused damage to the bubbles of some of the figures I stored at the top. Climate control is a must. And I have to pay 72.00 a month because there are now other places to get a safe temp for my collection so 50.00 doesn't seem too unreasonable to me..

Don't forget to get insurance on the space depending on the value of your collection.