PDA

View Full Version : LOTR Accents

Jek Porky 2002
08-31-2002, 05:59 PM
I've just wathed The Fellowship Of The Ring on DVD, and while I was watching I noticed something that I didn't at the Cinema, Elija Wood's English accent is terrible, I know that the majority of non-English people wouldn't notice, but when he shouts or says something fast, he just looses his accent completley, its the same with the guy who plays Samwise and also with Vigo Mortenson who plays Strider, it really gets to me, and I think on a film like this they should have only cast English actors, what do you think?

Oh and one more thing, The only decent English impersonation I've heard on film is Glen Close in 101 Dalmations, not once did her accent break through!

bigbarada
08-31-2002, 06:45 PM
Sounded fine to me. I thought they all did a really good job. Besides they weren't supposed to be English accents, but Middle Earth accents.:)

Jek Porky 2002
09-01-2002, 08:21 AM
Actually Peter Jackson himself said that the Hobbits where supposed to be little English people.

JediTricks
09-04-2002, 07:48 PM
I didn't really look for it, but the one that really struck me as being odd was Agent Smith... er, I mean Elrond played by Hugo Weaving. It's not that his accent is "wrong" or anything, it's that his voice is SO distinct and first made noticable here in the states in The Matrix, so whenever he's on screen in LOTR, all I can think is "I wonder if the smell of Hobbits is bothering him". :D

Boba Rhett
09-05-2002, 01:11 AM
You're so right about Hugo. I kept giggling whenever he was on screen. :D

Jayspawn
09-05-2002, 01:56 AM
I loved Hugo in LOTR. I can hear him saying...

Jayspawn
09-05-2002, 01:57 AM
"Mr. Baggins. This Fellowship is an infection."

bigbarada
09-05-2002, 11:18 PM
Is it just me or are the English really, really protective of their accent? No offense or anything, but do you really hear of someone from the South starting up a thread to complain about how fake Tom Hanks' accent was in Forrest Gump? Or a guy from Wisconsin complaining about Fargo?

I just think it is kind of funny that the English take their accent so seriously.:)

derek
09-05-2002, 11:56 PM
in regard to accents, i don't understand why some actors use a foreign accent, but speak english in the film. take harrison ford's film, "K-19, The Widowmaker", for example. ford is playing a russian, but for the sake of the english speaking audience, he speaks english instead of russian. so what's the point of using a goofy russian accent if you're not going to speak russian?:) he should of just spoke in his normal voice. i think the audience would of reacted better to that. i bet a lot of people were turned off to ford's accent in that film, so they didn't see the film.

2-1B
09-06-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Or a guy from Wisconsin complaining about Fargo?

I'm from Wisconsin, and I've never heard any Wisconsinite sound remotely like the fine folks in the movie Fargo.
We do have an accent that I don't like, but it's different from that. :D

derek, I enjoyed the accents in K-19, I think they do it to give it a little more authenticity. Even though they are speaking English, by at least trying to use a Russian accent they do come across as more . . . Russian. :D

I think it's crazy to not see that movie due to Ford's accent ! :crazed:

bigbarada
09-06-2002, 12:11 AM
Caesar, I've known several people from the Wisconsin/Minnesota area while I was in the Army and only one of them had an accent like what was shown in Fargo. Only that was very infrequent, most of the time he talked normal but every once in a while it would rise to the surface. I was just using it as an example of a film with obvious faked accents (we know those actors don't speak that way in real life) which no one really complained about in a special thread on SSG.:)

2-1B
09-06-2002, 12:17 AM
Oooh, since you mentioned Minnesota - :D

I bet to "outsiders", Wisconsin/Minnesota might sound quite similar . . . but amongst ourselves there are differences here and there. ;) I, however, am along Lake Michigan so we're FAR away from Minnesota. Still, your point is valid, because if you traveled from here to Minnesota and further West to Fargo, there would of course be varying accents. But to a fine Alamogordonian like yourself, it might all sound quite similar.

I had the same experiences myself, during my travels into the Southeast part of the country. I bet QLD and Jango96 would sound "the same" to me, but to each other I bet they'd nail the differences from NC to GA in a heartbeat. :)

FOTR accents? I thought they were fine, but of course I don't have the same perspective as an Englishmen . . .
Hugo Weaving? Yeah, I can agree with JT and the others - that guy is SO Agent Smith to me, I couldn't really get around it. Not sure if thats my fault or his. :D

icatch9
09-06-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
Actually Peter Jackson himself said that the Hobbits where supposed to be little English people.

This is just something the Tolkien says about the Hobbits. It's more like the way they act rather than talk. Never in the books does it say what a hobbit sounds like. Sure, they should sound British, but they don't have to.

Darth Nihilus
09-06-2002, 12:47 PM
I think the only problem with Wood's dialect is that his delivery was very deliberate so as not to slip too much. Good job to Weaving for masking his accent so deliberately, though an Aussie accent hasn't deviated that far from the english dialect. Viggo Mortensen didn't even try, perhaps he couldn't grasp the voice coaching.