PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Star Wars music theme?

Pendo
10-23-2001, 08:18 AM
There is a wide range of themes in the music, from Luke Skywalker's to Jabba the Hutt's? What is your favorite one? Mine has to be the Imperial March. It's so cold and sends shivers up my spine every time I hear it. You know that vader is around when you hear it.

PENDO!

Eternal Padawan
10-23-2001, 09:42 AM
Just one??

I like the solemn tone when Luke looks at the dual sunset.

I like the quick three note repetition when the Falcon is leaving Cloud City but before it sees the Executor. They played it during one of the levels on Shadows of the Empire and I heard it so much, it became one of my favorites.

I like the ending fanfare when the credits come up.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-23-2001, 11:26 AM
Asking me to pick just one theme is like asking Bill Clinton to pick just one fat broad.

I like 'em all. The Imperial March is just kickin'. Yoda's theme is great as well as Leia's, Luke and Leia's, Han and Leia's, and OB1's. The one I would have to say I didn't like as much is the Ewok March and that has to do more with the thought of a million marching teddy bears rather than John Williams' music. I'm also a little bit turned off by the Duel of the Fates. It's a little to frenetic for me and has too much repetition.

If I had to pick just one I would have to say Luke and Leia's theme from ROTJ. It has a great melody with emotional sub-themes throughout the piece.

Lobito
10-23-2001, 11:30 AM
I like them all also...but the title of this thread is very clear...and my favorite theme is the Imperial march!!:D

Lando Calrissian
10-23-2001, 02:31 PM
mine is probably empirors palpitines

Padmé Skywalker
10-23-2001, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
There is a wide range of themes in the music, from Luke Skywalker's to Jabba the Hutt's? What is your favorite one? Mine has to be the Imperial March. It's so cold and sends shivers up my spine every time I hear it. You know that vader is around when you hear it.

PENDO!

MINE IS PRINCESS LEIA'S THEME. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IS PADME OR QUEEN AMIDALA HAVE A THEME?

Mr. Brown Guy
10-23-2001, 03:11 PM
Mine has got to be Boba Fett's - IT IS COOL!

Mandalorian Candidat
10-23-2001, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Brown Guy
Mine has got to be Boba Fett's - IT IS COOL!

Does BF have his own theme? Where is it on the soundtrack(s)?

Oh wait, I know. It's that belch the Sarlaac gives when he falls into his pit.:D

bigbarada
10-23-2001, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Padmé Skywalker
MINE IS PRINCESS LEIA'S THEME. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IS PADME OR QUEEN AMIDALA HAVE A THEME?

Strangely enough I don't see anything on the track list of the Ultimate Edition Ep1 soudtrack that suggests a Padme or Amidala theme. Who knows? Maybe EP2.

My favorite would have to be the Asteriod Chase sequence from ESB. Just a cool, intense song!! It gets my blood stirring everytime I hear it!!

master jedi
10-23-2001, 08:53 PM
Mine is a tie between the Imperial March and Duel of the Fates.

Mike Troxell
10-23-2001, 09:45 PM
Padme Amidala was supposed to have a theme, but apparently George nixed having a set-in-stone theme in Episode I so that he could have the solid love theme emerge in Episode II.

Boba Fett's theme is only heard in Episode V. It is a two-note bassoon motif and is heard quite frequently.

There are so many themes. Duel of the Fates, The Force/Obi-Wan's Theme, Anakin's Theme, Qui-Gon's Theme, Shmi's Theme, Emperor's Theme, Jar Jar's Theme, Darth Maul's Theme, Luke's/Star Wars Main Title Theme, Imperial Theme (E4), Rebel Fanfare, Princess Leia's Theme, Cloud City/Lando's Theme, Han Solo and the Princess Love Theme, Imperial March, Hyperspace Theme (Eternal Padawan's aforementioned three-note theme), Jabba's Theme, Droids' Theme, Yoda's Theme, Luke and Leia Family Theme, Ewok Theme, E4 Celebration Theme, Death Star Motif, Asteroid Chase Theme, and the Jawa theme.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. That'll give you guys a bunch to choose from.

Mine is Luke and Leia Family Theme from Episode VI, followed closely by the Force/Obi-Wan's Theme.

NP: David Michael Frank's "The Mole"

Pendo
10-24-2001, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Mike Troxell
Boba Fett's theme is only heard in Episode V. It is a two-note bassoon motif and is heard quite frequently.

NP: David Michael Frank's "The Mole"

Boba Fett's theme is also heard slightly in A New Hope after Han and Jabba talk!

ThomasLane
10-24-2001, 09:44 AM
Imperial March, when my 1-year-old sings it.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-24-2001, 10:31 AM
There are so many themes. Duel of the Fates, The Force/Obi-Wan's Theme, Anakin's Theme, Qui-Gon's Theme, Shmi's Theme, Emperor's Theme, Jar Jar's Theme, Darth Maul's Theme, Luke's/Star Wars Main Title Theme, Imperial Theme (E4), Rebel Fanfare, Princess Leia's Theme, Cloud City/Lando's Theme, Han Solo and the Princess Love Theme, Imperial March, Hyperspace Theme (Eternal Padawan's aforementioned three-note theme), Jabba's Theme, Droids' Theme, Yoda's Theme, Luke and Leia Family Theme, Ewok Theme, E4 Celebration Theme, Death Star Motif, Asteroid Chase Theme.

Not to split hairs with you Mikey, but are all of those passages really themes? I always considered a theme being something that was attached to a character or a repetitve event rather than a single time occurance like the throne room scene or the asteroid chase sequence. Stuff like the Imperial March is played over and over and in multiple movies, while the throne room part is played only once.

Regardless of what you'd call them, I think they're all pretty good/great/awesome/etc. John Williams is such a freakin' genius. :cool:

El Chuxter
10-24-2001, 12:03 PM
Padme Amidala was supposed to have a theme, but apparently George nixed having a set-in-stone theme in Episode I so that he could have the solid love theme emerge in Episode II.

Makes sense. Han and the droids didn't have themes in ANH.

My fave's the Force theme (AKA Ben's theme). Close runners-up are Vader's theme (The Imperial March), Han & Leia's love theme, Yoda's theme, the Jawa theme, and the theme played at the beginning of TPM and the arrival on Coruscant (Qui-Gon's theme?).

Mike Troxell
10-24-2001, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

Not to split hairs with you Mikey, but are all of those passages really themes? I always considered a theme being something that was attached to a character or a repetitve event rather than a single time occurance like the throne room scene or the asteroid chase sequence. Stuff like the Imperial March is played over and over and in multiple movies, while the throne room part is played only once.

Regardless of what you'd call them, I think they're all pretty good/great/awesome/etc. John Williams is such a freakin' genius. :cool:

Yes, they are indeed themes. If you mean to describe themes that are placed with a specific character, those are called Wagnerian Leitmotifs. Also, the throne room motif was also played in the end credits of Return of the Jedi. :D

And I forgot The Jawa Theme in my list above. Amended. (Another bit of Star Wars Trivia--the first version of the Jawa theme, which was nixed by George Lucas, became the March of the Villains in Superman: The Movie).

The music for Han's encounter with Jabba in SW is a hodgepodge of E5 and E6 music, so I don't consider it part of the Episode IV score.

NP: Badly Drawn Boy's The Hour of Bewilderbeast

Wooooof
10-25-2001, 06:14 PM
I always dug the Cantina Band songs. Just makes me wanna dance!!!

Pendo
03-28-2002, 04:41 PM
I have to add "Across the Stars" to the list. Very powerful and emotional stuff! I didn't like the music of TPM much but I can see that the music of Episode II is going to be alot better, and different.

PENDO!

Dryanta
03-28-2002, 05:28 PM
someone will need to set me straight on this one.I have a tape(can't find it) that has what I believe is called Vader's death.It has that harp playing the imperial march at the very end.Awesome !!really moving stuff.It does what is supposed to.I hear it and it brings Vaders death right to mind.second is the imperial march itself.something about that harp

dirtybones
03-28-2002, 07:05 PM
The emperial march has got to the most played tone from any movie. Even the Jaws theme doesn't get played as much.:evil: Hum along with me now, come on you know the words........
DaDaDaDaDaDaDaDaDa,

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-28-2002, 10:32 PM
Yoda's theme get's my vote. It is a pretty powerful piece of music. It is spirituous, emotional and highly uplifting. The Imperial March comes a close second. It suits the Empire with its foreboding tones. Also, I like the music played at the Cantina in Mos Eisley. I want those dudes to play at my graduation party :crazed:

Rollo Tomassi
03-29-2002, 03:37 AM
When I graduate, I want to slip the conductor guy twenty bucks to stop playing Pomp and Circumstance and start in on the Rebel theme that plays when Han and Luke get their medals when I walk down the aisle. That would RULE!:D

Imperial march is cool. So is Duel of the Fates. That one gets me pumped and want to lightsaber duel with somebody whenever I hear it.

Non Star Wars themes that get me going are the two main themes from Willow by Horner. The "Action" theme, and the melodic "Nelwyn" theme. The score to Gladiator, especially the battle sequence and the "death" sequence. The theme from Temple of Doom. And Superman. Whenever I hear that I want to rip open my shirt, fly away, and save the world.:D

Pendo
03-29-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
When I graduate, I want to slip the conductor guy twenty bucks to stop playing Pomp and Circumstance and start in on the Rebel theme that plays when Han and Luke get their medals when I walk down the aisle. That would RULE!:D

LOL, That would be so cool Rollo! be sure to catch it on film to re-live the moment!

PENDO!

Brave Sir Robin
03-29-2002, 09:39 AM
The Imperial March as Number One and the ANH Award Ceremony as a close second.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-29-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi

Wow, what a coincidence! I graduated from Cal State Long Beach about a week before the opening of TPM. The recessional music that the orchestra played was the Star Wars main theme followed by the Throne Room theme. My wife has me on video carrying my older son and daughter out of the quad with the music playing in the background. :D

SithDroid
03-29-2002, 11:15 AM
Imperial March for me. I have always loved that theme. I hope we hear a little bit of it in EP II.

Pendo
03-29-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid
Imperial March for me. I have always loved that theme. I hope we hear a little bit of it in EP II.

GOOD NEWS SITHDROID - I've downloaded the Ep2 Soundtrack off the Internet and the Imperial March can clearly be heared in one or two tracks :)

PENDO!

SithDroid
03-29-2002, 11:27 AM
Cool, I can't wait to hear it.

browndroid
03-29-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Wooooof
I always dug the Cantina Band songs. Just makes me wanna dance!!!
right on! i have a cd with two different ones and play em all the time

JEDIpartner
03-30-2002, 12:00 PM
"Han Solo and the Princess"- It has a lot of variations as the theme itself, played during the asteroid field, etc... a very nice sweeping melody with much variation.

Lone Jedi
04-16-2002, 09:23 PM
This may not be a "theme" but I really like "Into the Trap." It's the song played when the Rebel fleet gets trapped between Death Star II and the Imperial fleet.

DeadEye
04-16-2002, 09:31 PM
I like the Imperial March, as well as the Emperor's Theme...I also like the music from when Luke fought the rancor in ROTJ...I really like the Force Theme. (ex., whenever someone reaches for a lightsaber with the Force)

But I like the prequel music!!! I like Duel of the Fates, and most of all I like Jango's Escape from AOTC!!! :D

bigbarada
04-17-2002, 12:20 AM
I really dig that little bit of music taken from the ROTJ Ewok battle that was used in the most recent E2 Trailer. I thought it was an actual piece of music from AOTC until my brother showed me where it was on the ROTJ:SE soundtrack. For those of you who might not know where it is: disc 2, track 12 near the end of the song.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-17-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Dryanta
someone will need to set me straight on this one.I have a tape(can't find it) that has what I believe is called Vader's death.It has that harp playing the imperial march at the very end.Awesome !!really moving stuff.It does what is supposed to.I hear it and it brings Vaders death right to mind.second is the imperial march itself.something about that harp

I just reread this post and realized where I've seen this music on a CD. There was a suite of SW music recorded a few years back by the Utah Symphony that, IMO, is the best recording of SW music outside of the soundtracks themselves. It has music from all three movies in the OT. In the ROTJ portion of the disc it has a track called "Darth Vader's Death" where they have that harp rendition of the Imperial March. The disc came out before the SE soundtracks, so they have on the disc a mention that it was the only source for that track up to that time. They also have the complete Jabba's Theme as well as another 'bonus' track called something like Dogfight with Tie Fighters; it's just music from the ROTJ space battle.

A really great disc. I recommend it to anyone who likes SW music but doesn't want to switch four or five disc to hear all the great SW themes.

JediDan
04-19-2002, 05:56 PM
WIthout a doubt the "Force Theme" if thats what its called. One other song I love is the 1st part of ESB's The Clash of the Lightsabers.

El Chuxter
04-25-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
In the ROTJ portion of the disc it has a track called "Darth Vader's Death" where they have that harp rendition of the Imperial March. The disc came out before the SE soundtracks, so they have on the disc a mention that it was the only source for that track up to that time.

That CD came out in 1983 and the ROTJ section probably has more than the pathetically inferior soundtrack to ROTJ. "Darth Vader's Death," and most of the other missing ROTJ music, was released with the 4-disc box set from the early 90s. The set also includes some alternate takes, as well as the last way to buy "Lapti Nek" (soundtrack version only) and "Ewok Celebration" (both soundtrack and film versions). I'd say it's a must-have.

Looks like it's out of print, but amazon.com has used copies available.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-25-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter

That CD came out in 1983 and the ROTJ section probably has more than the pathetically inferior soundtrack to ROTJ. "Darth Vader's Death," and most of the other missing ROTJ music, was released with the 4-disc box set from the early 90s. The set also includes some alternate takes, as well as the last way to buy "Lapti Nek" (soundtrack version only) and "Ewok Celebration" (both soundtrack and film versions). I'd say it's a must-have.

Looks like it's out of print, but amazon.com has used copies available.

Yeah, it's a really good disc. Granted it lacks a lot of the music, especially from ANH, but it's great to have if you want to listen to a compilation of the whole OG without taking all 6 discs with you. I hope someone takes a cue from this one and does one for the prequel trilogy (and I don't mean one of those lame compilations that has Duel of the Fates, Anakin's Theme and then 20 different themes from other movies).

Darth Cruel
04-29-2002, 08:09 PM
Gotta be Duel of the fates for me. Then The Imperial March (Vader's theme).