PDA

View Full Version : If not Star Wars, then what??

Nebulaz
09-01-2002, 01:55 AM
Imagine star wars never being created, what do you think you'd be obessed with? Would you be able to immerse yourself into something else with the same passion you have for star wars?? or do you think that SW has opened a place in your heart that makes you feel a certain way for it?

Jeremy

GREEN HULK
09-01-2002, 02:00 AM
BAAAAH! HULK NOT SO CRAZY WITH STAR WARS THAT HE FORGET WHO BUTTERS BREAD! MUST GET COMIC BOOKS EVERY MONTH, OR HULK WILL SMASH PUNY STAR WARS MEN!!!!

rynobot
09-01-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by GREEN HULK
BAAAAH! HULK NOT SO CRAZY WITH STAR WARS THAT HE FORGET WHO BUTTERS BREAD! MUST GET COMIC BOOKS EVERY MONTH, OR HULK WILL SMASH PUNY STAR WARS MEN!!!!

This guy cracks me up.:p :crazed: If only I knew who true Idenity.:confused:

Darth Vellner
09-01-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by GREEN HULK

Thank you, Thats quite enough green.........Thing!;)

I also like the Beatles.So I would just be more into that I guess..........

If there was no Star Wars we would all be talking about "Battlestar Glactica" or "The Black Hole" right now!...........................Thank GOD for Star Wars!!

rynobot
09-01-2002, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Nebulaz
Imagine star wars never being created, what do you think you'd be obessed with? Would you be able to immerse yourself into something else with the same passion you have for star wars?? or do you think that SW has opened a place in your heart that makes you feel a certain way for it?

Jeremy

I wouldn't collect toys at all. I would spend more money on basketball cards, and I would have an awsome social life. ;) :D

bigbarada
09-01-2002, 02:10 AM
**ducks giant green fists flailing wildly about**;)

Well, I am a huge fan of Lord of the Rings, so if there was no Star Wars I would probably be more immersed in Tolkien's works than I am now. If that is even possible.

Star Wars didn't change my life or make me a better person but it did give me a lot of cool toys to collect along the way.:)

Big Chewie
09-01-2002, 03:22 AM
NASCAR
MY NASCAR diecast is actually my largest collection, but my Star Wars collection is catching up.
I collect lots of different things mainly sports related.
But I would sure miss this part of my life. I have made many friends waiting in lines to see SW movies and online and am glad to have them.
Big Chewie

Mar10Sir
09-01-2002, 08:59 PM
Well... if it hadn't been for Star Wars.... WOW! I can't think of a life without it. Sounds silly, I know, but besides the awe I felt for it as a kid, through SW I fell in love with film music resulting in my becoming a musician and having a formal college education in it.

Would some other movie have had the same impact? Maybe. Who knows. As for what I'd collect... hmm... No other SCI-FI stuff. In fact, without SW there wouldn't have been Battlestar Gallactica or so many other flicks that followed in SW's footsteps.

I guess I'd have a larger sword collection if I weren't into SW.

Obi-Don
09-02-2002, 06:54 AM
I guess it would be Star Trek for me. I like Star Trek but not as much as Star Wars. If not Star Trek,I guess my love would be my 2nd intersest that I like and it would be the dragon's of Pern stories by Ann McCaffery. I love these books and the whole idea behind the stories.

Eternal Padawan
09-02-2002, 08:20 AM
You know, the ususal staples of an 80's adolescence. G.I.Joe, Transformers, and Comic Books...

...waitaminnit....

...I STILL collect all those things!

But since Star Wars got me interested in making movies professionally, I'd probably have a lot smaller DVD collection right now.

ROLLO!

PS Who's this Hulk character? It looks like something I'd pull off, but it isn't me. I'm intrigued... ;)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
09-02-2002, 08:35 AM
I began to like Star Wars around the time Pokemon first showed up in the US. I love Pokemon. So if not Star Wars, then Pokemon would totally fill the gap in my life.

187-Maul
09-02-2002, 02:18 PM
I would probably be spending more money on mcfarlane toys (no wait a minute, I AM buying everything from mcfarlane that I really want)
maybe I'd be more into music (hip-hop songwriting, I've done some but not much)

bigbarada
09-02-2002, 03:07 PM
If there was no Star Wars, then would we even have GI Joe:ARAH? Hasbro changed the format of their toys in response to the astronomical sales of Star Wars figures. So, would you still collect the 12" GI Joes, EP?

If not for Star Wars then Mego probably wouldn't have gone under and we would have many more 8" Mego super-hero figures.

And Star Trek would have come back as a 2nd TV series in the 70s not a motion micture, which was made to compete with Star Wars.

I believe the entire pop-culture landscape would be very, very different if Star Wars had never been made.

Darth Vellner
09-02-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Star Trek would have come back as a 2nd TV series in the 70s not a motion micture, which was made to compete with Star Wars.

WOW!!! I did not know Star Trek made a "Motion Micture"!!!!!
When was this?????? I NEED to get one!!!!:D :D :D :D

JediTricks
09-04-2002, 04:11 PM
BB, I believe ST:TMP would have become a motion picture either way, Paramount was planning to convert the show to the movie before SW came out, they just weren't going to tell any of the poor actors (read: suckers) who thought they were signing on for a sucessful, long-running TV series on Paramount's new TV network (which only took another 20 years to get off the ground).

As you can see by the above, it'd be Trek for me. I've been a Trekkie since before there was a Star Wars and still am.

thespar
09-04-2002, 04:19 PM
if there was not star wars i would go in far into star trek.

Master Goeweins
09-06-2002, 12:20 AM
No SW? I would probably just sit still........ very still.

plasticfetish
09-06-2002, 01:05 AM
Yeah ... before Star Wars, I lived for Star Trek reruns ... and other campy sci-fi and horror movies and TV shows. I would probably have mostly the same obsessions ... just without the Star Wars to sort of broaden (?) it.

Then again, I really enjoyed watching shows like Hogan's Heroes and Gilligan's Island as a kid ... perhaps if there was never a Star Wars the whole Hogan's Heroes thing would have become more and more important in my life. I can imagine myself wanting to dress like Carter or even LeBeau for halloween as a kid and then as a teen go to all of the conventions. I would collect the action figures obsessively and then spend much of my spare time as an "adult" trolling the fan web sites for HH info. gosh ...;)

AdmiralPiett
09-06-2002, 02:39 AM
Star Wars saved me... without it I would have turned to the darkside and went for.... the status quo :eek:
Money
Women
Power
I don't really have any of these things right now but that's ok with me. I am content with my family, a few close friends, and an awesome hobby!:)
Piett

Jango Jett
09-07-2002, 08:15 PM
mostly Timeless Collection [repros based on the originals from
the 60's and 70's] I also like Japanese Science Fiction like:
Godzilla, Ultraman, and other monsters from Japanese SCI-FI
movies. :crazed:

bigbarada
09-08-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Darth Vellner

WOW!!! I did not know Star Trek made a "Motion Micture"!!!!!
When was this?????? I NEED to get one!!!!:D :D :D :D

HOlye crapp!1!!i made a tytpo howofton dose thta hppen?

:crazed:

I don't know JT, I read a book about the making of ST:TMP and it specifically states that the success of Star Wars was the primary reason for the second series being reimagined into a movie. As I remember it, the UPN network was supposed to be formed with ST2 as it's flagship series. Of course, that all happened later with Voyager as the flagship series and we know what has happened with that. That book had actual interviews with the producers (not Roddenberry though) who talked about how, since the public was on a new high because of Star Wars, that they believed it was the perfect opportunity to cash-in take advantage of the hype.:)

LTBasker
09-08-2002, 01:04 AM
Most likely it would've been Star Trek. I was born in '86 so the first "Star ----" I knew was Star Trek: TNG but then I was shown Star Wars and Star Trek went out the window for awhile. I still got some Star Trek stuff, but that ended a little later. Although I did always stay a Trekkie at heart, I was a Warsie. :)

=/\=

Beast
09-08-2002, 01:14 AM
BigB is correct, they were going to revive the series because of how popular Star Wars was. They mention it on the ST:TMP S.E. DVD that came out not to long ago. They saw the money that Star Wars was making, and at a meeting someone said: "Do we have anything like Star Wars that we can do?" And one of the people brought up Star Trek and that set things in motion for a new series, that became the Motion Picture. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Emperor Howdy
09-08-2002, 02:09 AM
Oh that's easy! I would spend all my time watching the goofy antics of the girls in the hilarious 80's classic comedy, "9 to 5"!! The wacky story of three average working women (Lilly Tomlin, Dolly Parton, and Jane Fonda) under the thumb of their upscale, chauvinistic boss, played by the outrageous Dabny Coleman! A fun, kick-off-your-shoes-belly-buster that'll leave the family in stitches all week long! A day at the office will never be the same again!! :D :D :D :D :D

:happy:

:confused:

oh.

err.......

Dawn of the Dead action figures?

**the crowd erupts**

"HOOOORAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!"

:D :D :D :D........and the tree was happy.

Emperor Howdy
09-08-2002, 02:15 AM
Oh, and for the record.....Jane Fonda is a traitor and a V.C. sympathizer who needs to be publicly executed. :mad:

plasticfetish
09-08-2002, 02:18 AM
You're not fonda Hanoi Jane?

Emperor Howdy
09-08-2002, 02:37 AM
Fine. I admit it. I would definately do Jane in the Barberella days.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-08-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
Oh, and for the record.....Jane Fonda is a traitor and a V.C. sympathizer who needs to be publicly executed. :mad:

I don't want to start a controversy or anything and don't get me wrong, I hear stories of Jane Fonda being one the biggest be-atchs in the world, but she did what thousands of college students would have done in the 60's if they had the prominence or means to do so. Remember the chants?

"Ho, Ho, Ho Chi Minh, the NLF (National Liberation Front) is going to win."

A lot of people were frustrated at the U.S. government's unjustifiable actions for prolonging a war that should have never been fought in the first place. How many of you or your parent's know someone, personally or not, that was drafted or enlisted in the war and was killed. Many of them of high-school age.

I'm sure Jane saw her act as drawing attention to the atrocities of the war, hoping to change the hearts and minds of those who were apathetic at best to that stuff. She in essence became the mouthpiece of the anger and frustration many anti-war Americans felt as the war waged on.

But is she really a traitor? She didn't acutally pick up a gun and kill any soldiers during her stint. She didn't renounce her U.S. citizenship or anything, just against the policies and actions of her government during war that she felt was unjust.

A lot of Americans visited the North Vietnamese during the war, including many prominent Civil Rights leaders.

Someone wrote a book about how Jane should be jailed for being a traitorous American for that visit. How I laughed as I watched the author on C-SPAN make his case.

I can see how the visit enraged many Americans who had loved ones fighting in the country but I don't see what she did is grounds for her being jailed or executed or anything.

For the record, yes, I too would like to do the horizontal mambo with Jane during her Barbarella days.

JediTricks
09-09-2002, 10:54 PM
BB, from the stuff I've read (and just went into the living room to catch up on a litte - that's how goofy I am ;)), ST2 was originally in pre-production BEFORE Star Wars was released, in '76 before Star Wars would prove its box office successes - as a feature film called "Star Trek: Planet of the Titans" - and in late '77 Paramount changed their mind and wanted a show. So they gave Roddenberry a green light to start pre-production on the Star Trek Phase II show with as many original TOS production people as he could get, and got James Bond-production-god Ken Adam and Ralph McQuarrie to work together on pre-production art and design (can you imagine how cool that would have been?!?). So in '78, Paramount changed their minds AGAIN and changed Phase II into a new movie not based on the POTT concept, instead being the story of Phase II's pilot. At one point, Paramount thought they could even use ST:TMP as a stepping stone for Phase II so many folks working on Trek in '77 and '78 still thought they were working on an ongoing show.

It's a complicated mess... kinda like the film. ;)