PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours Droids #7, #8, #9 Revealed on StarWars.Com

Beast
09-01-2002, 03:09 AM
As was stated in another thread, I said that there was rumors of there being 9 of them. According to people that spoke to Disney operators they only confirmed 6 figures. Well, StarWars.com has updated and they announced the last three figures. http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2002/08/news20020828.html :)

Star Tours Toys Debut
August 28, 2002

Since 1987, guests of the Disney theme parks have ventured aboard a Star Tours speeder to check out the moons of Endor, only to be sidetracked to a rocky mis-adventure by a perpetually inexperienced Captain Rex (RX-24).

Earlier this month, a partnership between Disney and Star Wars toy licensee Hasbro opened "Once Upon a Toy". This 16,000-square-foot store in the Downtown Disney Marketplace at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida is the home of wide array of exclusive Disney-themed merchandise - including the first official figures inspired by the droids of Star Tours.

Already available are 3 3/4" scale figures of Captain Rex, G2-4T and R3-D3. Joining them soon will be figures of R4-M9, DL-X2 and WEG-1618. Another three figures -- G2-9T, R5-D4 and SK-Z38 -- are expected to round-out the lineup later this year.

Also exclusive to the store are four Star Tours-labeled Star Wars roleplay items: a Rebel Alliance Blaster, Rebel Alliance Bowcaster, Galactic Empire Rifle and Jedi Training Academy Lightsaber.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
09-01-2002, 03:19 AM
9? I only see 6 of em. :confused:

Beast
09-01-2002, 03:21 AM
Rynobot, re-read the article. Pay close attention to this line. :)

Already available are 3 3/4" scale figures of Captain Rex, G2-4T and R3-D3. Joining them soon will be figures of R4-M9, DL-X2 and WEG-1618. Another three figures -- G2-9T, R5-D4 and SK-Z38 -- are expected to round-out the lineup later this year.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
09-01-2002, 03:24 AM
oh, no pics, then why am I wasting my time ;)

KingOfSting
09-01-2002, 03:45 AM
holy CRAP! a new r5-d4...thats great! i just hope its not a repaint of the horrible POTF2 one...

Old Fossil
09-01-2002, 11:50 AM
R5-D4, finally. And he's a frickin' Star Tours figure. Jeez. How I'll wrangle up one of these, I have no idea, but if it's a good sculpt then I will do what I must...

corporal AMF
09-01-2002, 02:33 PM
R5 D4...........at last........................we want him, we want him ****urhgg*****, ........we want him badly.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-02-2002, 10:53 AM
Woo-hoo! I would be very sad if we weren't getting both G2 droids, especially G2-9T. But really, who is SK-Z38?

LTBasker
09-02-2002, 02:20 PM
Be y'all get your wallets out and ready, remember these are the people who want $10 for a repainted R4-M9 most likely without the mouse droid that we paid $5.88 for to get the two together. ;) I highly doubt they'd release a new R5-D4 exclusively to the Star Tours line when they know they can cash in on it, so if it is truly a NEW R5-D4 (or to be technical an R2-Q5 body with new R5 head..) then it will most likely be released to Star Tours and in someway to the Saga line. For all we know it could be POTF2 R5. (The POTF2 features are attractive to kids)

Jargo
09-24-2002, 02:49 PM
But it's not R5-D4 is it. It's R5-DL because his head is different to that on R5-D4 R5-DL has two tubular photoreceptors and R5-D4 has the three small round one.
R5-DL is actually seen in the interior shots of the sandcrawler in some still shots floating around but when they shot the exterior shots they changed the head to the familiar three eyed version who became R5-D4. So R5 is technically the only star tours droid to have been anywhere near star wars.

If I get a chance I'll pick up R5 and R4 just because I can't be bothered to repaint anymore R4 droids and because no matter what he turns out like as long as he isn't the POTF2 version I'll probably go nuts for a new R5.

The G2 droids and WEG-1618 are quite funky too. R3-D3 is not so good but might tempt me. Captain Rex is cool but not star warsy enough to tempt me and by the looks of it the SK droid is Japanese styled junk too.

And as for the DL droid 'box with arm' I just weep to think people are actually buying that crud. I've seen everything now. You take a toy like FX-7 and compare it to that DL droid and it's like stone age meets 21st century. The disparity in both quality and creativity is astonishing.

However, each to his own as someone keeps telling us all. I like some I hate some. I'll buy some if I can find any. At import prices I guess i can expect to pay something in the region of over $20 apiece. Could be worse, could be better.

Jargo
09-26-2002, 08:05 PM
Okay, just been over at rebelscum where they were discussing the SK-J38 droid. Seems at the Japanese Star tours attraction there's a droid that looks very suspiciously like BG-J38 from jabba's palace. Given hasbro's love of recycling and the fact that BG-J38 was actually the 8-D8 prop with a new head, It's highly plausible that Hasbro would take the existing 8-D8 body and shove a new head on it and issue that as this new droid. From thew tiny picture rebelscum posted it doesn't look like they used the actual BG-J38 head in the attraction but something similar. Even if it were BG-J38 I really wouldn't mind because it would be one more character officially done from Jabba's palace. I could imagine that it would sell well anyway. The droid I was dissing in my last post looked like a Tomy robot to me. One of those things that has around four commands and just bumps into things, y'know the kind of thing we used to marvel at before interactive got big.
Whatever, Just thought I'd post this. Seems this section doesn't get much traffic so......

Turbowars
10-11-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO

And as for the DL droid 'box with arm' I just weep to think people are actually buying that crud. I've seen everything now. You take a toy like FX-7 and compare it to that DL droid and it's like stone age meets 21st century. The disparity in both quality and creativity is astonishing.

Hey Jargo, what did you want Hasbro to do, add extra arms and a firing rocket like Kenner did with R5-D4? It's a simple little droid.