PDA

View Full Version : Major League Baseball - What do you think?

TylerD
09-01-2002, 05:18 AM
Now that the players and managers have come to some sort of agreement, there will still be MLB. What do you think about that? I could actually care less if they had went on strike. I don't think that baseball is about baseball anymore. It's all about huge salaries bigger than the budget of a small country, and Home Run Derbies....

Rogue II
09-01-2002, 08:03 AM
I love baseball, but I'm getting tired of it. It's getting worse than Pro-Wrestling. I can't stand Bud Selig or Don Fehr.

They really need to even things out in the league, and this is coming from a Yankee's fan. I'm glad that Oakland and Minnesota are doing well to show that teams can be competitive with smaller payrolls.

Pete Rose needs to be in the Hall of Fame.

MLB needs to move the Expos to Washington DC. This should happen in the next 2 years since they said they won't contract as part of their agreement. Screw Peter Angelos, owner of the Orioles and primary opponent to baseball in DC. The Orioles have made horrible business decisions(Albert Belle) over the past few years, so it is his fault they are failing.

Selig and Fehr need to be replaced.

The Yankees have done things right. They have a great farm system(Soriano, Jeter, Posada, Pettite, Bernie Williams, M. Rivera) and have marketed themselves well.

I'm glad Football and Hockey are starting. Hopefully, the Boys of summer will get their act togerher next year.

Turbowars
09-01-2002, 11:18 AM
Baseball sucks @ss. Its nothing but a bunch of over paid babies that wont even run out to their postions. Hell wth them. I say fire all of them and put some people ou ther that love the game.

2-1B
09-01-2002, 11:25 AM

Rogue II
09-01-2002, 01:34 PM
It looks like he is about to say "Phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhttt!"

Did anyone see the Angels whining about how the fans threw stuff(foul balls, rally monkeys, etc.) at them Thursday? I didn't think Anaheim fans could be passionate about any sports. The players really didn't seem to get why they were upset.

While I'm venting, any player in any sport that holds out because they don't like their contract can kiss my ___. If you didn't like the deal, you shouldn't have signed the contract. Rookies rarely deserve the money they get. Sports contracts should be more performance based. I know, that isn't feasible for some position players in some sports. But, it will work for the "money" players.

Look at when the Bills signed Doug Flutie a couple years ago. He was signed for the league minimum, but because of incentives, was one of the highest paid QBs that year.

good shot jansen
09-01-2002, 04:25 PM
before the strike all i could think, "thank gawd it's football season",

now that they've settled it, all i can say is"thank gawd it's football season"

and i love basball.........

jjreason
09-01-2002, 05:00 PM
I too love the game, but still have sourness remaining from the cancelled World Series in 93 (would have been Expos/Yankees - and a classic as both teams were really rolling). Ever since I haven't followed it to nearly the same extent (doesn't help that my team hasn't been anywhere near .500 let alone contention since before then either). Im happy they're going to play it out, the WS last year was one of the best ever. I love Baseball playoffs so much, it would have been a travesty for them to have called it off.

Oh, and for those people who hate the high salaries....get used to it. If it was made so public how much the owners of the successful teams were pulling in, you'd be shocked. They can't pay those high salaries without the revenue. On a related note, Im happy the poorer teams will be recouping a little via the profit sharing or luxury tax or whatever. Maybe by 06 there won't be a need for contraction with this new deal.

Now if only Mike Ilitch would stop spending all the pizza money on the Red Wings and get us one Ace........

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-01-2002, 10:39 PM
Baseball is a sport where the teams who are the 'haves' and the 'have nots' are clearly defined. The haves (the Yankees, Braves, Bo Sox, Indians, a few others) are the periennal challengers, who thanks to inflated payrolls, have been competing for the top spots in their division, some for almost a decade now. While I can't fault them for taking in a lot of revenue and spending their money, I can fault the league for not agreeing to institute a true revenue sharing program that will help the teams in the have not category.

Being a certain die-hard fan of a pro-sports team, I can't imagine my team having the lot of the Montreal Expos, KC Royals, Tampa Bay or a few other teams. They due to a low budget and revenues, have to rely on talent grown through their farm teams. It may take years for certain players to develop. And even once some of these players do good, they command a higher salary, a salary that teams like the Expos can't afford. So they are forced to give up these talented players to teams like the Yankees (also the Yankees as well as the Yankees). If my team suffered the fate the Expos do, I would be pulling my hair out. It's been years since they have been in the playoffs. And now it looks like they will be moving soon.

It's a sorry state that baseball is in. The league of the haves and the have nots. Football, on the other hand is a lot different. Teams can easily go from the basement of their division one year, and contending for a championship for the next. They have a salary cap to prevent gross distorted payrolls like the Yankees. There may be a few holes in their bargaining structure, but overall I think it is one of the best in sports.

Bring on the pigskin I say!

jjreason
09-02-2002, 12:30 PM
You are right, LBC. The NFL has parity like all pro sports leagues dream of. Clearly, the cliche "on any given Sunday" has never been more justified. Baseball could stand to learn an awful from the NFL in terms of player movement, free agency, etc. We'll have to wait and see if this new collective agreement gets the ball rolling in the right direction. Traditionally though, baseball has always had perennial winners and losers. Only rarely have underdogs accomplished anything. The long season kind of acts like insurance for the good teams - the real quality will show over the long haul. Upsets on a game to game (or really, a series to series) basis mean nothing (unless you're a Tigers fan and you only have one opportunity to cheer all year when your boys finally split a 4 gamer with the Yanks or Red Sox - not that that ever happened to me or anything:rolleyes::)).

LTBasker
09-02-2002, 02:14 PM
I don't really care, I used to love baseball but as you get up higher it's too competitive and just no fun. I think major sports currently are pretty stupid due to the fact that players get too much money doing what they "love." (It just goes to hookers and drugs in the end anyways, really no point.)

Rogue II
09-02-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
You are right, LBC. The NFL has parity like all pro sports leagues dream of. Clearly, the cliche "on any given Sunday" has never been more justified.

Unless that team happens to be the Bengals:D

Originally posted by LTBasker
I think major sports currently are pretty stupid due to the fact that players get too much money doing what they "love."

We live in a society that pays to be entertained. That is why pro athetes and actors can pull in millions of dollars. I don't really care how much money they make. I think it is the league's responsibility to maintain a competitive balance.

rynobot
09-02-2002, 02:57 PM
I'm glad I don't love baseball anymore.

How abou this, the NBA's salary cap actualy is lower this year than last year. :)

good shot jansen
09-03-2002, 11:05 AM
growing up in new york, and my dad having been a brooklyn fan, the national league was the league of my household. you couldn't even metion the yankees without suffering the wrath of my dad.

from 58 through 61 baseball was a hated sport, what with the dodgers and the giants both leaving at the end of 57. (heaven help you if you even uttered part of the dreaded name o'malley),

in 62 with the intriduction of those loveable losers the mets, my dad once again had a reason for living in the summer months.

up to the pologrounds we would go to see these losers (very lovable, but losers none the less), and everything was right in the world. national league baseball had once again come to new york!

growing up a met fan, we couldn't care less if we produced a losing season, year after year. i remember leaping with excitement in may of 68, just cause the mets were finally at .500 (that of course lasted about 2 days, but hey, it was a huge achievement!)

after the highs of 69, and the amazing resurgence of 73 (you gotta believe!), the mets once again settled at the bottom of the heap for the remainder of the 70's.

yet i still went out to shea, and then later in college, would follow the mets dilligently through the papers box scores, and then when i came home for summer break, would at the earliest home game, catch the number 7 train out to willets point, and bask in either the afternoon sunshine, or glare of the lights at night, and everything would be right with the world.

in '81, the 1st of the long strikes, i didn't think i would survive. a whole summer washed away. when they came back and instituted that rediculous split season standing, i thought for sure baseball was done for.

but there i was back in 82' willing to forgive the transgressions of the previous season.

in 85, when the players struck for two days, i remember how thankful i was that the strike was nothing more than a long weekend off from the sport, and resumed my met cheering ways.

94 was different, now these guys had become greedy and distant, when football started in 94, i was through with baseball, done with it forever. i couldn't sdtand the palyers, and i couldn't stand the owners. i even refused to allow myself to be caught up in what eventully became the sports saviour in 98, the home run slugfest between big mac and sosa. i refused to allow myself to get back into the sport cause i knew it would let me down again.

this year, a bunch of my nephews started a fantasy league, and against my better judgement, i decided to join. by the time april turned to may, i was hooked once again, after many years of refusing to follow the sport, i was back in it. this time, no longer cheering on a specific team (though i am partial to the braves now, mainly cause they're on television all the time, and thus i can watch em), and along comes the threat of a another long and drawn out strike.

i'm glad that they're playing, but man, have they messed up the game big time. here i am, a 40 year follower of the sport, and it barely holds my interest now, my son who's 8, hates the sport, i've tried to get him interested, but he likes football, and thinkes baseball is boring.

i don't know what each side feels they have to argue endlessly about, the owners day job is not baseball, they don't even look to the day to day operations for making a profit, they're eye is always on when they sell the team, and the killing they'll make then. the players have everything they could possibly want, a starting rookie scrub is guaranteed to 300,00 a year (that's 900 a day), and yet they feel that they're not being treated fairly.

i don't have a clue as to how they need to solve this, i just wish that they would stop and look at the sport, and see what it means to the fans that they have left, cause if they keep up what they've been doing lately, the sports just gonna wither and die.

JetsAndHeels
09-03-2002, 06:38 PM
I love baseball as well, but just the notion of having yet another strike hurts the game IMO. It's not like these guys don't make a killing already, to play what is called our national pasttime. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game alot, but it's not like they are out there curing cancer or doing the community a great service. It is entertainment and a business, pure and simple.
I am glad we will get to see the playoffs and World Series this year though. It is always something I look forward to.
But as far as the regular season goes, the Mets are out and football season is starting. I think I will put baseball on hold until next month.

Master Goeweins
09-03-2002, 11:44 PM
Maybe if it was played by a bunch of guys who just loved the game, then maybe....
But instead...... HOCKEY!

Rogue II
09-04-2002, 06:41 AM
I love hockey and I've been watching it since I was 2(or so I'm told). Hockey is going to be running into the same problems as baseball soon. Hopefully, they have learned something from the MLB this year. The current NHL Labor Agreement is good for another 2 years, but they should start working on a new one soon to prevent any sort of lock-out or strike.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-04-2002, 01:57 PM
Like most people I can't wait for hockey season to start. But for some reason I'm actually more into baseball this season than I've been since I played in high school. It's probably due more to the Angels and Dodgers playing well right now and being in the thick of the playoff hunt than the sport itself.

Rogue II
09-04-2002, 03:28 PM
Here is an interesting article about the labor agreement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/columns/20020904/dispellingthemythsofthel.html