PDA

View Full Version : Is the new Shuttle really worth it?

Scackmgack
09-01-2002, 03:15 PM
I have an old-school Imperial Shuttle, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any signifigant differences between the old shuttle and the new shuttle such that I should even be considering buying a new one.

For instance, are there any pack-in figures, or electronic features?

Something else I noticed on one of the pics I've seen - it looked like the new shuttle has black "wear" on the wings instead of being pristine white like the old-school shuttle. Was this a trick of the photograph or is that actually the case?

Beast
09-01-2002, 03:21 PM
It depends of if it's worth it to you. The new one won't have electronics, and probably won't have any pack in figure. There hasn't been any confirmation either way on the figure issue. It's worth it to me, because I don't have the old one, and a vintage one in good condition would cost the same or more.

The new one will have some retooling on it of course, because they take a mold from one of the vintage ships and then use that to make the molds for the new version. You loose some detail doing that, so the molds have to be retooled to get the detail.

And yes, there is some paint detail on the ship, though how much in the final version we don't know yet. Remember the only picture we have so far is a prototype picture, so we have to wait and see. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
09-01-2002, 03:25 PM
Man it would be cool if it was an Imperial ship and it came with 2 Royal guards and old Palp. For $125 it should. It worth it to me also I never had a vintage one either.

sicqnus
09-01-2002, 06:37 PM
No electronics. No pack-in figures.

New accurate paint.

Same mold.

It's interesting to know the Kenner/Hasbro shuttles uses the same exact proportions as the Movie ILM model (except for the figs). In 1983, the Kenner guys took the mensurations of the real movie model (SW chronicles and TheForce.net).

One of the best toys ever in the SW universe.

I've already ordered one and I can't wait 'till the end of the year, ARRRRRGH !!!.

hango fett
09-01-2002, 07:48 PM
125 bucks is too much fro anything SW. i would never pay that much for 1 star wars thing....not even a jorg sacul or toy fair vader....
h

Sinister Lord
09-01-2002, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I agree... $125 is too much. The most I have ever paid for any Star Wars toy was $50... and that was for an POTF2 AT-AT (it was on sale) and that included electronics, figures, all the bells and whistles.

hango fett
09-01-2002, 07:57 PM
the most we paid was....25-30 for theater edition JK luke. now it's worth 110. hehe! just lucky i guess..
h

rynobot
09-01-2002, 08:03 PM
I feel the shuttle will be worth it. If it comes in window box watch out, the box is going to be huge! So far Hasbro hasn't confimed the release of the shuttle so pack in figures are unknown. So far the last exclusives we have had have came with pack in figures (X-Wing, Snow Speeder, Tie Bomber, Tie Interceptror, AT-ST, B-Wing, Y-Wing.) So why don't we hold off with all the crying untill we got an offical statement from Hasbro with more details about the ship. Just because you can order it from FAO doesn't mean all the info has been released yet. :)

Edit: The SAGA landspeeder also came with a pack in figure and window box, so its been about 3 years with out have a window box exclusive vehicle. I think the last one was the Flamuplast and Ammo Wagon. :)

Mar10Sir
09-01-2002, 08:18 PM
Worth it? Mmmh... not really. Resonably expensive, yes. I dunno'... I think of the AT-AT to compare.

The AT-AT had some electronics and two exclusive figures which made it a reasonable investment. Still, I never bought it because the proportions were too scaled down (of course, a true-to-scale AT AT would measure about 4 feet high).

Now, the Shuttle is still smaller than it should be but it's closer to its proportion than the AT-AT. If Hasbro added an exclusive Moff Jerjerrod figure and a couple Royal Guards or Imperial Officers, that'd make it more attractive. Still, the ship's sculpting is nice and it's still a rather large ship, but for $125 it's still too much.

The only reason it'll be selling so high is 'cause its a fricking FAO exclusive. Were it a TRU, WM or KB exclusice, I'm sure it'd cost around $80.

Screw FAO! >:(

bigbarada
09-01-2002, 10:21 PM
If you own a vintage Shuttle then don't bother with the new version. I don't really see what they can add to it (aside from some poorly sculpted pack-ins and crappy weathered paint splatters) that would exceed what the vintage Shuttle already delivers. It's pretty much guaranteed that whatever pack-in figures they offer (if any) would not be worth plunking down $125 for a second Shuttle.

However, $125 is still almost 1/2 the price that a loose vintage Shuttle would cost you (they can go for up to $300) and don't even think about a boxed vintage one ($600-$800). So those people who don't have a vintage one might want to consider this as the next best thing.

rynobot
09-01-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
If you own a vintage Shuttle then don't bother with the new version. I don't really see what they can add to it (aside from some poorly sculpted pack-ins and crappy weathered paint splatters) that would exceed what the vintage Shuttle already delivers. It's pretty much guaranteed that whatever pack-in figures they offer (if any) would not be worth plunking down $125 for a second Shuttle.

However, $125 is still almost 1/2 the price that a loose vintage Shuttle would cost you (they can go for up to $300) and don't even think about a boxed vintage one ($600-$800). So those people who don't have a vintage one might want to consider this as the next best thing.

I feel that this peice was made only for the ultimate collector, if these aren't as limited as first thought then they will definitly go on clearnce. :)

Darth Cruel
09-01-2002, 11:47 PM
It is most certainly NOT worth it to me. I am always preaching that if we have patience these overpriced pieces will go on clearance. Think about the last item that didn't make it to clearance. I can't think of any right now. In a worst case scenario, you will probably be able to pick one up on Ebay in about a year for a much more reasonable price. And anyone who believes that there are only 5000 of these Shuttles made please believe me when I say that there will be more eventually. There always are. Remember the 12" Luke/Speeder from Target? They Ended up at 13.00 or so. Remember the 12" Wedge and Biggs X-Wing Pilots from FAO? Those are still being pushed at 20.00 a set. Please have patience everyone. They will become available at a more reasonable price.

TylerD
09-02-2002, 12:09 AM
If you are going to buy it, definitely wait a year or two. Remember the Fambaa? An FAO exclusive retailing for 80$! It was released in 1999 (2000 maybe?), and I just bought mine for $30...It pays to wait awhile....

bigbarada
09-02-2002, 12:19 AM
For those of us who have wanted a Shuttle since it's vintage days: We've waited 19 years, what can waiting a couple more years hurt?:)

Jayspawn
09-02-2002, 01:10 AM
I think the shuttle is going to be impressive, but NOT worth $125. I think Hasbro is kidding themselves. $80 was a lot for the AT-AT when that first came out. And I can see paying that. But no way for $125.

rynobot
09-02-2002, 01:13 AM
The clearance exscuse doesn't really work cause if you believed it you would never buy any SW toys untill they were clearenced. :)

Beast
09-02-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by rynobot
The clearance exscuse doesn't really work cause if you believed it you would never buy any SW toys untill they were clearenced. :)
Which is the exact same reason that stores no longer accept many vehicles at retail, and Hasbro has to make 90% of them exclusive. Many people let the POTF2 vehicles sit on the shelf, because they didn't want to pay retail. So stores became hesitant to order vehicles, because they took up shelf space and bearly sold.

That's why you don't see Gungan Bongos, Sith Infiltrators, and many many other vehicles from the Saga. Stores won't take the risk on them, so they have to be made as exclusives. As for the shuttle, I doubt that there will be any left by the time it does have a chance to go on clerance. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TylerD
09-02-2002, 01:21 AM
Not necessarily true rynobot...I am perfectly happy in paying $4.77 for a new Saga figure. However, I am NOT content in paying $125 for a new Shuttle...so I'll wait a bit and still get what I wanted for a lower price...

Beast
09-02-2002, 01:25 AM
Unless they all sell out, and you have to resort to higher prices on Ebay in a few years. Given the fact it's one of the most popular vintage ships, is very expensive on the secondary market, and many people have been asking for one. You may end up being out of luck on grabbing one on clearance. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
09-02-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by TylerD
Not necessarily true rynobot...I am perfectly happy in paying $4.77 for a new Saga figure. However, I am NOT content in paying $125 for a new Shuttle...so I'll wait a bit and still get what I wanted for a lower price...

Yep Saga figs have already been marked down for clearance and are still cloggigng pegs.

bigbarada
09-02-2002, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Which is the exact same reason that stores no longer accept many vehicles at retail, and Hasbro has to make 90% of them exclusive. Many people let the POTF2 vehicles sit on the shelf, because they didn't want to pay retail. So stores became hesitant to order vehicles, because they took up shelf space and bearly sold.

That's why you don't see Gungan Bongos, Sith Infiltrators, and many many other vehicles from the Saga. Stores won't take the risk on them, so they have to be made as exclusives. As for the shuttle, I doubt that there will be any left by the time it does have a chance to go on clerance. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I totally agree with you on that one, JarJar. In fact, I have stated this more than once. All the collectors who think they are somehow cheating the system by waiting for every vehicle to go on clearance before buying one are the primary reason that Hasbro will only make OT vehicles as exclusives right now. All that money the stores lost because collectors waited has hurt their confidence in the Star Wars toy line. Thus those retailers will only carry a vehicle if they are sure that only their store will release it.

However, I am not saying that I think $125 is a fair price for the Shuttle. It is most definitely not, but we only have ourselves to blame. If the AT-AT's and Queen's Starships had sold without having to go on clearance, Hasbro wouldn't hesitate to release the Shuttle to all retailers and those retailers wouldn't hesitate to order them. All the retailers are gunshy because of vehicle after vehicle rotting on the shelves, thus they will not invest in one unless it is either a new vehicle for a new movie OR an exclusive that they can corner the market on.

All I am saying is that if you like the vehicle, buy it when it is released. If you don't like it, don't buy it at all (doesn't work for completists, but I have never pretended to understand those people). Don't hold off on buying a vehicle you want, waiting for it's clearance price; this will increase the odds of seeing those other unproduced vehicles you want later on.

rynobot
09-02-2002, 02:17 AM
Waiting for SW to go on clearence is a double edged sword. You either buy it when you first see it or risk never seeing it again, or if you risk to wait for it to go on clearnce, and it may not, then you may be stuck with out it. The not risk it mentality seems to be the one most seen on E-Bay, where people are scared they may never see the item at that low of price. I learned the hard way this spring, I was uninfomed and paid $40 for Geo Mace in April. :eek: :crazed:

I expect the shuttle to be seeling on E-Bay for around $150 during the first couple months and could actually go higher if the Shuttle is at all limited, maybe not to 5000 but Hasbro and FAO will only agree to sell so many for such a high price. :)

Turbowars
09-02-2002, 11:44 AM
I have said it before and I'll say it again. If we don't buy, they wont produce, It's a simple fact of supply and demand. I remember a while back I had a heated discussion with a member here about this. I said this about the 12" Speeder with Endor Luke and he said somthing like why should we spend our $ on crap, Well I didn't think it was crap. Well in short he did not agree and that was fine. My point is, if we don't buy these high $ toys we wont get anymore of them in the future. I mean look at the Company that we have to buy from, rich mans store. Hey buy it because you like it and can afford it, that's my 2 cents.

Dark Lord Kakorotto
09-29-2002, 01:03 AM
I personally love the Imperial shuttle. I wasn't around for the vintage and I have collected the Imperial Shuttle in everyway, shape, and form. I am counting the days until FAO sends mine!

Sidiously Darth
09-30-2002, 02:17 AM
Wow! Another thread about the Imp. Shuttle.

Let me tell you what would be worth having... a freakin' confirmation from Hasbro that this thing is a go. I've said it before and I'll say it again... I'm not buying this crap from FAO.

Please, someone tell me which other FAO exclusives have been so secretive? Well, guess what... NONE!!!

Did they pop any of the 12" figures out of their ***** and on to a website before Hasbro said they were coming? How about the Famba? I don't think so.

I think there are going to be some very unhappy people come December when these puppies aren't showing up. Hopefully, FAO will have the decency not to charge your credit card.

rynobot
09-30-2002, 02:21 AM
Do you want something real nice and big and pretty under you christmas tree? Then yes its worth it. Just get your parents/spouse to buy it for you for Christmas and stop crying cause you don't have $125 dollars to spend on a toy.

bigbarada
09-30-2002, 02:41 AM
I agree with Sidiously Darth, I don't think this thing will actually be out by Christmastime.

Even so, while I do have the $125 to spend on it, after seeing the incredible value of the Gunship and all the features it offers for $40, there is no way I am paying three time that much for a Shuttle which will likely have no electronics, pack-in figures or special features.

Furthermore, I wasn't crying! Now could you please pass the tissues?:crazed:

rynobot
09-30-2002, 02:43 AM
Sorry BB, I just hate people crying about how they don't have $125, SO i sai to get someone else to buy it.

FAO Sharwz winter cattologe that I got in the mail had the Shuttle on the back of it, real nice and pretty looking, but it still said it was limited to 5000, so whom knows how that goes.

bigbarada
09-30-2002, 02:56 AM
I don't know, I still think this whole thing has "fiasco" written all over it.

Simdog
09-30-2002, 09:35 AM
I, for one, will not be pruchasing the Shuttle. I am a figure completist and I have my vintage shuttle from back in the day. I would, however, have bought the shuttle if it came with figures. I am glad it doesn't come with figures so I won't be forced to shell out $120+ for a vehicle that I already have and two (probably rehashes) figures. Besides, I don't play with the toys or display the vehicles. I simpley pack my figures in Plano tackle boxes.

Prince Xizor
09-30-2002, 09:40 AM
Because this thing is supposedly limited to 5000, does that mean it is going to be an internet/catalog exclusive, or am I going to be able to find it in the FAO in Boston?

rynobot
09-30-2002, 12:37 PM
I'd think so Xizor, they only have a handful of stores so each store will probably have some.

Jargo
09-30-2002, 03:23 PM
I got mine on order and if I'd had more cash available I'd have ordered two. It's the holy grail of the stars toy line. The big kahoona. The ultimate prize and king among kings. I had a snowball's chance in hell of getting one of these things when i was a kid, even less when I grew up and saw what the asking prices on EBAY and at Brian's toys were. $125 isn't too much at all as far as I'm concerned and if there had been pack in figures it woulds have been even more expensive. Hel if people don't want it I'll definately find the cash to get a second one then.

Prince Xizor
09-30-2002, 04:04 PM
Now that I think about it, I am 100% sure that I want this. Not because I think it would be a fun toy to play with, but because its just what Jargo said. "The ultimate prize" so to speak. This toy would look pretty damn cool hung from my ceiling being piloted by Han. Or even cooler on the ground with 2 lines of Royal Guards and the emperor coming out of the ship.

Sure $125 is pretty expensive, and I don't go to FAO enough (Maybe once a month) to have a good chance of finding one, but I sure as hell would buy this given the opportunity.

Jargo
09-30-2002, 04:20 PM
Hmmm, I guess some people might remember me mouthing off initially about this, saying how I thought it was too pricey and that I hated the fact it was a damn exclusive. Time alters the way we see things. I've had chance to rethink my initial musings and rants and I now consider this to be an okay price. I still hate that it's an exclusive but at least it isn't just confined to FAO as this beauty will find it's weay across the big pond to Europe too by way of independent retailers who have bridged the gap Hasbro created. In actual fact I think Ill end up paying a little less than $125 for mine. But there is a chance that this will all fall through and I'll end up with none. Cancellations have been known to happen with star wars toys before now.
I just wanted to say that I may seem to be hypocritical in my posts here given what I said some time ago. But like I say, presented with new information and the option to obtain one via an independent retailer I changed my mind on this.
My initial responses were angry at the exclusiveness of this as it seemed at the time. A limited stock run was how it was presented. Now it appears that is not the case so my anger has abated. I wait with baited breath to see if my hunger for this toy will be sated.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-30-2002, 04:20 PM
hey!!! i had my brother (who lives in Chicago) head to their FAO schwartz and get more info on it. They told him the following:

1. it arrives early December (yeah, we knew that)
2. When they come in, they'll go down each name on the waiting list, if you're home, sweet, you have i believe 6 hours to pick it up. If you're not home, you're SOL and they move on
3. my bro was good enough to give them his credit card # and phone #. I then informed him he's taking his vacation days those first few weeks in December. :D

So, i'm going to put myself on the list too, i'm gonna call them from Ohio and get on the list, if they'll let me. Granted, I don't live there, but even my bro misses a chance and i get it, he'll be able to pick it up for me. You can also order it from Yestertoys and Brians Toys, so hopefully, these aren't as scarce as they can be.

I think it looks great though. One of the sweetest ships in the OT. Now, if only we got another, better Falcon....(mike goes off rambling quietly to himself)

Sidiously Darth
10-01-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
You can also order it from Yestertoys and Brians Toys, so hopefully, these aren't as scarce as they can be.

Another shot in the tuckis from Hasbro. Why in the heck do these online money grubbers get their hands on this, if it's even happening!?!?!?!?!? Yestertoys and Brian's Rip-off site will probably both get them before FAO even sees one.

I know they supposedly help out the foreign market, but they're just bilking money from those people.

If this were a true exclusive, only FAO would carry it. Better yet, Hasbro could let some reliable not so greedy company with a good rep sell it outside the states.

I also have to agree with the whole sentiment on the Gunship. $40 for a great ship. I don't see how they can justify $80 more for a slightly bigger/retooled nonelectronic no pack-in figure reissue of an old toy. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.:rolleyes:

The Overlord Returns
10-01-2002, 11:48 AM
No It is not worth it.

$125 for a lump of plastic with a slightly better paint job than its predecessor, No electronics or gimmicks, and NO pack in figures?

It should have come with atleast 2 royal guards. Better still, a royal guard and an Imperial dignitary.

anyone willing to pay this kind of money is a chump. There also not exactly helping the collecting community in the slightest.

Prince Xizor
10-01-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
There also not exactly helping the collecting community in the slightest.

That's Bull. If nobody buys this thing, then every retailer out there will be afraid of selling big ships, then we will never see anything bigger than a Landspeeder. But if it does sell well, then maybe retailers won't be afraid, and we can get some good ships.

The Overlord Returns
10-01-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Prince Xizor

That's Bull. If nobody buys this thing, then every retailer out there will be afraid of selling big ships, then we will never see anything bigger than a Landspeeder. But if it does sell well, then maybe retailers won't be afraid, and we can get some good ships.

Yes..... and you'll be paying over $100 everytime for nothing but a huge piece of plastic. That is ALL you will get. They will continue to sell you inferior product for ridiculous prices.

Prince Xizor
10-01-2002, 12:15 PM
I would rather pay $100 for a ship than not have the ship at all.

And if this ship does sell well, it will show other retailers that they can make money off of big ships. And if other retailers, like a Target or TRU, get exclusives they aren't going to charge as much as FAO does.

The Overlord Returns
10-01-2002, 12:22 PM
I would rather pay $100 for a ship than not have the ship at all.

And if this ship does sell well, it will show other retailers that they can make money off of big ships. And if other retailers, like a Target or TRU, get exclusives they aren't going to charge as much as FAO does.

See...thats exactly what they want. They want people willing to pay whatever they ask and provide as little as possible.

And the other retailers WILL start charging as much if a precedent is set for them to get away with it.

Prince Xizor
10-01-2002, 12:24 PM
But like I said, I would rather have the option to buy a ship for a $100 than not have to chance to buy it at all.

The Overlord Returns
10-01-2002, 12:29 PM
well...don't worry.......you're taking steps to having that as your only option....

Prince Xizor
10-01-2002, 12:41 PM
At least I would have an option

The Overlord Returns
10-01-2002, 12:44 PM
lol...ok...before we start sticking our tongues out at each other, lets just agree to disagree...

thespar
10-01-2002, 01:57 PM
i would like to have one but with how must it is going to cost and the time of year it coming out in will have to pass on it.

Val Da Car
10-01-2002, 02:00 PM
$120 bux is two Republic Gunships and the Geonosian Arena Set

Sidiously Darth
10-01-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Val Da Car
$120 bux is two Republic Gunships and the Geonosian Arena Set

Exactly!!!

And this argument that it's the only option is a very monopolistic idea. If you take that option, you might as well buy all your SW items from some high priced scalper. That person might be your only option to get an item, but would you?

Do you think you would buy from FAO Scalper?

It will set a precendent and a very expensive one. Your next midsize vehicle, say the size of Zam's speeder, from FAO may cost you $40.

The idea of this failing is not to have large vehicles, it's to keep them out of the hands of high priced venues like FAO. If this was a WM exclusive, it wouldn't cost you more than $75.

Don't believe that, WM is selling the new interactive R2 for under $100 and it has bells and whistles.

Think about that when you talk about only one option.

Val Da Car
10-01-2002, 04:44 PM
I should have been more descriptive about that dollar comparision.

Walmart, Target, ShopKo, Kmart and other retail outlets have one hundred or more stores which will allow them to order more, have a possible lower cost to buy from the manufacturer and don't play the high price exclusive game. Just because the Wal*Mart exclusive Tie Bomber and Snow speeder shipped in a limited amount for a short time does not make the same comparison to the FAO Schwartz Imperial Shuttle until it starts to ship.

As for the Gunship and Geonosian Arena they may not have the rabid following like the Shuttle does. Plus both of these items will be more readily available.

FAO is doing this because they can and have done it in the past (not always successfully....something in EP1 was an exclusive and ended up getting blown out for 1/2 off) with figures and other items. Fao has fewer stores, more catalogue customers compared to the retail stores that put out weekly flyers.

Turbowars
10-01-2002, 06:10 PM
Look if you don't want to pay $120 for the ship, then don't. I hate FAO, I mean what do you expect? FAO sells a Go Cart for $25,000 and it's for a kid. FAO knows how many people want this thing and they are going to sock it to us collectors that just have to have it. One thing though, it's a win and lose deal. If we don't buy (buy only if you want to) these ships, Hasbro wont have a retailer to sell to and we wont get any big crap anymore. I think Hasbro should sell direct to us on these items, but Hasbro claims they don't know anything about selling. Yeah RIGHT! What do they think the are doing when they sell to WM or TRU, they are selling. Oh well, bottom line is, it will always be this way and if you don't want to burn a hole in your pocket, don't buy this thing. :Pirate:

Beast
10-01-2002, 06:19 PM
Turbowars, the problem with Hasbro selling direct to consumers is with their contract with Lucasfilm. It doesn't allow direct to consumer sales. They had to jump thru hoops to even sell the Kabe and Muftak set. That's why it was delayed so long, because they had to get special permission from Lucasfilm to sell it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
10-01-2002, 06:23 PM
Turbowars, the problem with Hasbro selling direct to consumers is with their contract with Lucasfilm. It doesn't allow direct to consumer sales. They had to jump thru hoops to even sell the Kabe and Muftak set. That's why it was delayed so long, because they had to get special permission from Lucasfilm to sell it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks Why wont Lucas let it happen? What's the big deal with a item selling direct once a year?

Beast
10-01-2002, 06:30 PM
I'm not exactly sure, but I remeber a Q&A with someone from Hasbro. I think it was posted on Rebelscum a while ago that mentioned the contract with Lucasfilm. That site is to hard to actually search, or I would see if I can dig it up. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
10-01-2002, 06:52 PM
I'm not exactly sure, but I remeber a Q&A with someone from Hasbro. I think it was posted on Rebelscum a while ago that mentioned the contract with Lucasfilm. That site is to hard to actually search, or I would see if I can dig it up. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks I remember that also, but I seem to think it was a very vague answer like always. I thought they said it was because that's not their line of business

DarthBrandon
I have the Shuttle from the Vintage days, I bought it on E-bay last year for $275.00, and it came with box and all. It was in excellent shape and the decals looked really good once I put most of them on. I did some custom work to it (paint, tinted windows and put lights inside the cockpit). This is by far the best vehicle IMO that ever came out to date. I hear that a new one is coming out as well, so all I have to say is buy it if you want it. So what if it doesn't have electronics or pack-ins, you can customize it just like I did. I'm afraid if you wait till clearance, you will pay big dollars on E-bay for it in the future. $125.00 is not that bad compared to the prices you may have to pay for passing it up, and pack-ins is usually rehashed garbage IMO. I got lucky by just paying $275.00 for something that could have cost me $800.00 or even more like some of the prices for one at BT'S. Support it or don't it's your choice, if I had another $125.00 dollars kicking around I would buy this one too (to customize), but I think I overshot my budget on the vintage one.:D

Val Da Car
I guess the another angle is how often does an "established" retailer get a exclusive figure to sell. All of the retail chain stores including FAO were around before Internet Toy companies stores and that is why such a big ticket item would go to a store like FAO.

Since we are all marketing fodder for Hasbro in this example

Kmart,WalMart,Target = Price competitive and useful for selling the standard toy line and some exclusive to fill shelves.

FAO Schwartz = No real competition and Big/Exclusive ticket items. Has anyone seen Saga figures there to buy?

just my $.02

Turbowars
10-01-2002, 07:08 PM
FAO does sell 3.75"Saga figures, but their 10 bucks! FAO at it again! ;)

Prince Xizor
10-01-2002, 08:30 PM
Yeah, the FAO in Boston has a ton of regular figures and they are all $10. But they are also all old. Nothing past the first 40 I think. For a price like that, I think they should at least keep the figures up to date.

Turbowars
10-01-2002, 08:45 PM
Yeah, the FAO in Boston has a ton of regular figures and they are all $10. But they are also all old. Nothing past the first 40 I think. For a price like that, I think they should at least keep the figures up to date. Why should they, they are FAO

thespar
10-01-2002, 09:34 PM
at paying 10 bucks a pop they should sell the new figures before any one else. as far as not knowing how to sell to the customer though means like their catolog they know how to do that look at how they did some items for gi joe ie (the fridge willam perry, the first major blood and hood cobra commander). guess the big deffentince between gi joe and star wars is hasbor ownes gi joe lock, stock, and barrel but they have to go though lucas for star wars.

rynobot
10-01-2002, 10:07 PM
I just can't wait to see the Shuttle in box, I hope it comes in a window box cause that will mighty impressive looking sitting in my room.

Turbowars
10-02-2002, 06:24 PM
Yes!! A window box!!

Prince Xizor
10-02-2002, 07:30 PM
Window box or nothing, this baby is getting opened. Then I'm going to line up 6 Royal Guards on each side and have Sidious come marching out. Its gonna be damn cool.

Val Da Car
10-02-2002, 08:16 PM
I completely agree....because what fun is it to have this Great, No Fantastic Stuff and leave it in the "windowed" box.......

All I know is that the Geonosian arena and my Gunships are now going to get some quality Diorama space!!!!!!

As for the Shuttle I would do the same thing if I was going to get it but I as stated earlier (in my case) Imperial Shuttle = 2 Gunships + 1 Geonosian Arena........but I digress......If I had space for two dioramas I would pick up the Imperial Shuttle and give it the Star *Diorama* treatment......Imperial Lt, Tie Pilots,Stormtroopers, Royal Guards....All of it....

alas not for me since I already have my gunships.......

Turbowars
10-03-2002, 07:48 PM
Hey Rebel Scum reports that the ship has been pushed back in the UK until AFTER X-MAS. Some time in JAN, maybe 15th?? It says that the US release is still on time, but I wouldn't put it past Hasbro to s c r e w this up. I guess I shouldn't care much, I mean mine is on back order anyways.;(

OC47150
10-04-2002, 03:15 PM
I, too, have wondered if the shuttle will be delayed in the U.S. because of the longshoreman strike.