PDA

View Full Version : New R5-D4 ??????

droidekas2
09-01-2002, 03:31 PM
There is going to be a figure of R5-D4 included in the Star Tours line.
Why is R5 being included in this line and not the regular Saga line?? Everyone has been wanting a new sculpt of him. Will it just be a rehash of the old R5-D4 that we all hated (perhaps without the inner rocket and the 2 halves glued together, I wouldnt put it past Hasbro ).
I understand that he is seen in the ride, but will they be wasting this opportunity to give us a completely new and awesome R5-D4?? I hope not.
What are your thoughts.

Beast
09-01-2002, 03:37 PM
Well, out of the 6 Star Tours droids so far, only 2 of them are re-sculpts of old droids. I am betting that R5-D4 will be a new sculpt, but likely use the basic astromech body. Even R3-D3's head is a completly new sculpt, even though it re-uses the POTJ "Naboo Escape R2-D2" body. R4-M9 is actually the biggest re-hash, in my opinion. Since all they did was use the same figure, with the same name, and paint the panals baby blue/aquamarine. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

droidekas2
09-01-2002, 03:56 PM
I pray that you are right JarJar!

plo koon 200
09-01-2002, 04:06 PM
I won't be too worried. But just in case I pray as well.

Rogue II
09-01-2002, 05:40 PM
I was hoping R5-D4 would be a regular figure. But, if I had to choose between not getting him or ordering him from Disney, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and buy from Disney.

Lord Tenebrous
09-01-2002, 05:46 PM
I'd imagine that this is the reference picture for him. Nice and dirty.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=163246

But he could also get a "clean" Saga release (R4-M9 will test whether two versions can sell independently).

corporal AMF
09-01-2002, 05:55 PM
GGRRRRRRRRRRRRrr:frus: :frus: :mad: :mad:
Why I'll have to pay big amounts for a droid when we all would have it for $6...............IT Should ! have been a regular figure....!!!!

sicqnus
09-01-2002, 06:30 PM
Hi, There will be a new R5-D4 figure using the same mold as the Star Tour one. The only difference is the Star Tour will be red (as the R5 unit in the StarTour in Paris/EuroDisneyland), and the Saga one will have an "ANH" look.

(note : the R5-D4 was planned for a long time but it was delayed due to the launch of Episode 2 stuff).

Enjoy !

Sinister Lord
09-01-2002, 07:11 PM
I don't want another R5-D4... I already have the POTF2 one and that's enough. I'd rather have CZ-1 (secretary droid), LIN-V8K (mining droid), R1-G4 (reactor drone), or WED 15 (Septoid 2)

I think one reason for not releasing R5-D4 as a regular release figure might be the "pegwarmer" issue. In the POTF2 line, R5-D4 was a big time pegwarmer, as I recall, being released both on orange and green cards... so this limited release may be most responsible thing to do in the case of this particular figure.

hango fett
09-01-2002, 08:00 PM
i think we should get this one soon...after this movie year, hasbro can focus it's attention on other stuff besides AOTC....but, don't make me use the hasbro SW-SFG bat on ya, mister HB! (hasbro)
h

Mar10Sir
09-01-2002, 08:09 PM
Being such a poor sculpt to accomodate the "concealed missile launcher" feature (oh... Hasbro was already betting on silly action features back in those days) I wouldn't mind having a new R5-D4 with a rotating head, light-pipe port and rectractable middle leg. Heck! Pitch in electronics if you have to (like the AOTC Coruscant Sentry R2), but don't overkill it!

Being as it is lately, Hasbro will probably make it blow up it's motivator and spew up smoke.

However, I'd want him to be a Saga figure that I could purchase anywhere for under $10 rather than being a Star Tours exclusive that'd cost me a trip to Disney to acquire.

Of course, there's almays eBay. :/

hango fett
09-01-2002, 08:51 PM
ebay was good to us latley! we got both of the new deluxes (yoda and 3po) for their regular price in stores! and both by the same guy! good job.
h

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-02-2002, 10:47 AM
Frankly, I'm glad to hear about a new R5-D4. I wouldn't care if they used the old mold, of course without the guns and a shut head. And Hasbro was thinking about rereleasing some of the HTF 2002 POTJ figures, so I guess it's good that the "new" R4-M9 has new paint and a new sculpt . . .

Old Fossil
09-02-2002, 05:52 PM
Sicqnus, where are you getting your information, s'il vous plait? If it is true, it will make many of us 'old school' collectors happy. I know myself and Rogue II have been wanting one of these for a long, long time.

Jargo
09-02-2002, 06:53 PM
Actually the R5 in the star tours attraction is different to R5-D4 fro ANH. Or should I say the heads are. R5-D4 ANH has three eyes across his 'face' small round photoreceptors. we all know this we bought the toys but the star tours version only has two eyes placed centrally and slightly recessed. They are more like small tubes than round . they slope slightly downward. The star tours roid was used in ANH in the sandcrawler interior shots but the droid outside had a different head and became known as R5-D4.

If Hasbro use the star tours R5 droid as a model the R5 we might get in the SAGA line may be wrongly detailed yet again.

Just food for thought........

Editing again after forgetting to add the picture :rolleyes: I have to say that the smart and playability enhancing thing to do here would be to include two heads of both type so you can get two droids in one if you want. Swappable heads, Remember Hasbro, astro droids accessorise too.....

hango fett
09-02-2002, 07:04 PM
good stuff, jargo...and i love that avatar! but shou;dn't the brain be half there and halfe gone when the tusken gets a saber fo lunch? unless there brains are that small.....
h

Beast
09-02-2002, 07:07 PM
Jargo's correct. The red R5 droid that is being called R5-D4 isn't R5-D4, so I don't know whether we will get the Orange/Red R5-D4 from ANH, or the red R5-DL from Star Tours. I believe from the images I have seen of Star Tours, R5-DL is most likely. After all, they are making an error by calling the baby blue/aquamarine R4 unit, R4-M9. That way they can still release R5-D4 to the masses in the Saga line. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
09-02-2002, 08:56 PM
either way... MORE DROIDS!!!!

p.s.- I'm glad the two operators I spoke with at Disney were wrong!! :D

Beast
09-02-2002, 09:00 PM
So am I, JEDIpartnr. So am I. I can always handle new droids, even if they are only the same R2-D2 Commtech version with a new head. :cool: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks