PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know if WM cantina sets are going to come with curved sections?

Turbowars
09-01-2002, 04:32 PM
SEE above. Wouldn't it make sense for Hasblow to make some curved section for the bars. Does anyone know???

Prince Xizor
09-01-2002, 05:15 PM
It would make sense..... But when was the last time Hasbro made sense?

Lord Tenebrous
09-01-2002, 05:47 PM
A blueprint for the sets has yet to appear, so it's really anybody's guess. It might be two trios of straight pieces, then one two-pack of curved pieces packed with a smaller cantina patrons.

Or it could be an interpretive series. There are a lot of options, which mostly depend on how well the sets sell.

The True Maul
09-01-2002, 06:01 PM
They will probably make curved sections, I agrre with Lord Tenebrous they will probably come with the smaller guys (for example Kabe.) :)

Rogue II
09-01-2002, 06:15 PM
I hope they make the curved pieces AND the island in the middle of the bar. Where else is Wuher going to store the drinks?

Sinister Lord
09-01-2002, 06:22 PM
I don't know that these sets were ever intended to complete an entire bar. I think we got the entire bar a few years ago with the pop-up Cantina and Sandtrooper set. I know I have that set, and to me the new Cantina packs seem... well, they seem redundant. I don't intend to even get these new ones unless it includes a previously unreleased figure. I already have Ponda Baba and Hammerhead and so forth, so I probably won't be buying those again. I mean, I think they are intended to complete a "scene"... but whether or not it means you will have an entire bar (meaning a "complete" bar), I think that is questionable.

Turbowars
09-01-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
A blueprint for the sets has yet to appear, so it's really anybody's guess. It might be two trios of straight pieces, then one two-pack of curved pieces packed with a smaller cantina patrons.

Or it could be an interpretive series. There are a lot of options, which mostly depend on how well the sets sell. How they sell? Heck I have only seen them twice and only once as a complete set. I figure why even start the collection if they arn't going to finish it. I know, I know, they do it all the time.

hango fett
09-01-2002, 07:54 PM
it would make sense, but they wouldn't do it. the ones that are out now don't and the next ones probably won't either....bad hasbro! *whap* yeah! thats what i thought! oooo...gonna stop making OPD ani! they are all over! here! have a taste of my hasbro SW-stupid-figures-and-gimmiks-bat! *whap**whap* thank you! *throws bat back at the manager as i walk away* *thunk**hit's manager in his back while he is on the ground*
J/K guys! but i do have all rights reserved for the habro SW-SFG bat!
h
whee! glad to get that out of my system!

Sinister Lord
09-01-2002, 08:19 PM
You know... instead of Cantina bar sections, I would much rather have a Lars homestead garage playset, or a Yoda's hut playset, or an Ewok village playset, or an Imperial garbage compactor playset. There are so many other locations that could be portrayed and so many other things Hasbro could be doing rather than just resculpting the same characters and recreating the same locations over and over again. I mean, we already had two Ponda Baba's and two Greedo's in the POTF2 line... I don't know, new versions of these characters just seem completely redundant to me. But then again, maybe I have just been collecting longer. I know that, as we speak, a POTF2 Ponda Baba is still warming a peg at my local CVS Pharmacy... so I don't know that there is huge demand for a new version that guy.

Turbowars
09-01-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Sinister Lord
You know... instead of Cantina bar sections, I would much rather have a Lars homestead garage playset, or a Yoda's hut playset, or an Ewok village playset, or an Imperial garbage compactor playset. There are so many other locations that could be portrayed and so many other things Hasbro could be doing rather than just resculpting the same characters and recreating the same locations over and over again. I mean, we already had two Ponda Baba's and two Greedo's in the POTF2 line... I don't know, new versions of these characters just seem completely redundant to me. But then again, maybe I have just been collecting longer. I know that, as we speak, a POTF2 Ponda Baba is still warming a peg at my local CVS Pharmacy... so I don't know that there is huge demand for a new version that guy. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we have only one Ponda before the Cantina bar sets?

Beast
09-01-2002, 11:24 PM
Turbowars, there was 2 Ponda's previous to the Wal-Mart Cantina Sets. The first one was in the originally exclusive Cantina Showdown Cinema Scene. The other one was of course in the POTF2 line. The one in the Cantina Sets is a vast improvement though, not only do you get bendable knees, but the long requested removable arm was finally included. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
09-01-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Sinister Lord
You know... instead of Cantina bar sections, I would much rather have a Lars homestead garage playset, or a Yoda's hut playset, or an Ewok village playset, or an Imperial garbage compactor playset. There are so many other locations that could be portrayed and so many other things Hasbro could be doing rather than just resculpting the same characters and recreating the same locations over and over again. I mean, we already had two Ponda Baba's and two Greedo's in the POTF2 line... I don't know, new versions of these characters just seem completely redundant to me. But then again, maybe I have just been collecting longer. I know that, as we speak, a POTF2 Ponda Baba is still warming a peg at my local CVS Pharmacy... so I don't know that there is huge demand for a new version that guy. I would love to have all those playsets, but we missed them about 25 years ago. I don't see hasblow doing any of those until the movie year is over and even after that, I don't think we will ever get a new Ewok set or even curved Bar sections. Hasblow only takes chances on the things that have been done before and sometimes, well I should say most of the time they screew it up.

Turbowars
09-01-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Turbowars, there was 2 Ponda's previous to the Wal-Mart Cantina Sets. The first one was in the originally exclusive Cantina Showdown Cinema Scene. The other one was of course in the POTF2 line. The one in the Cantina Sets is a vast improvement though, not only do you get bendable knees, but the long requested removable arm was finally included. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks Oh my God I can't believe I forgot about the Cinema Scene, I mean I went thought it in my head and was only thinking about the POTF2 Carded figures, my bad. Thanks JarJar, hey lets call truce.

Darth Cruel
09-01-2002, 11:36 PM
I find it sad to say that I once saw a homemade diorama of the entire cantina that pretty much puts anything Hasbro can section off and sell with peg warmers that they can't get rid of otherwise to shame. The building was cut from blocks of styrofoam and then it was painted. The tables were wired so that the lights on them worked and the system of pipes or whatever they were behind the bar was recreated with great detail. The guy even had a custom Wuher made from either Obi-Wan Kenobi or Owen Lars, I can't remember which one. Anyway...the point of this post is simply to say that no matter how much of the bar Hasbro puts out, I don't believe they are intended to get us a functioning bar. So far it appears that they are just re-releasing the worst of the peg-warmers to get rid of them to those of us (yep, me to) who just have to buy every stupid little thing that gets put out with a Star Wars logo on it. In my case as far as the 3 3/4" and 12" action figure lines go.

Beast
09-01-2002, 11:38 PM
Hey no probs TurboWars. I never had a problem with you, and gladly put that crap behind us. I hope they also make the curved sections of the bar, maybe in the next assortment of three. I really do like the sets though, since they do fix some errors on the original figures.

Greedo is finally the right color, especially his vest. His vest on the Commtech version is so light orange, and doesn't match the movie version at all. Momaw's outfit is movie correct now, as is his color. And like I said before, the Ponda Baba is the biggest improvement. They are great for people that are new to the hobby. As well as people that want more accurate figures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
09-01-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Hey no probs TurboWars. I never had a problem with you, and gladly put that crap behind us. I hope they also make the curved sections of the bar, maybe in the next assortment of three. I really do like the sets though, since they do fix some errors on the original figures.

Greedo is finally the right color, especially his vest. His vest on the Commtech version is so light orange, and doesn't match the movie version at all. Momaw's outfit is movie correct now, as is his color. And like I said before, the Ponda Baba is the biggest improvement. They are great for people that are new to the hobby. As well as people that want more accurate figures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks Dude how did you get over 5000 posts? Do you ever log off? LOL

TylerD
09-02-2002, 12:35 AM
I think that all three figures, although resculpts, are very much improved versions of their predecessors. As Jar Jar said, HasBRO, (not HasBLOW! I am sick of people calling them by that name - They have been VERY good to collectors at various points throughout the last few years. Sure they screw up a lot, but if it wasn't for them, collectors wouldn't be collectors...but this is a completely different argument) has finally found the correct color scheme for Greedo. And Ponda Boba does have bendable knees, and a removable arm...

As for the cantina bar sets being curved, I sincerely doubt it...This is kind of hard to explain without some sort of a drawing, but here goes:

There have been six confirmed cantina bar sets. Instead of saying something like, "Since the first three were straight, then the next three will probably be straight," we can bring a little bit of mathematics into the situation, in order to better prove our "non-curvular" theory.

Basically, the curved end of the bar is in the shape of a horse shoe (a cul de sac - remember "Volcano" ? ;) ). Now, unless Hasbro releases one of the next three sets with a "full horse shoe" shaped bar section, it is not possible to do a complete bar counter. The bubble would not be big enough for the full curve, so, theoretically, Hasbro must cut it in half.

Now with only three figures left to be released, with two of them having 1/2 of the curved section, it leaves only one figure to have a straight section. Now without another two striaght sections, the bar would not be symetrical, and would therefore, be incomplete. This proves my theory that the next assortment of cantina bar sections will all be straight. We shouldn't even get into the fact that Hasbro may be releasing even more assortments...

Did I confuse anybody? Sorry if I did...Now watch Hasbro completely DISPROVE my theory....LOL....it wouldn't surprise me...

Beast
09-02-2002, 12:49 AM
TylerD, you are forgetting the fact that two of the second asst. could have curved sections, and the last one be straight. Then you have 4 straight and 2 curved. By putting them together you end up with a full horseshoe. Of course Hasbro could be planning to do a third assortment as well. Especially since the first one is selling so well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TylerD
09-02-2002, 12:50 AM
JJB, you ARE correct....darn those theories!!!!! :)

Turbowars
09-02-2002, 11:12 AM
Ok "HasBLOW" (since TylerD likes it's soo much HeHe), can cut the curved sections into 3 parts, there are 3 stools and 3 glasses, and they can come with the smaller drunks in the bar. Maybe due to the small size, the sets can come with parts of the pipes and more glasses. These can be the next release, or 3rd, and then they can make a set of another 3 straights. WHALA we have a complete bar, less the the pipes and crap. wont happen, but fun to speculate. Hasbro has done well a few times, but at the moment Hasblow BLOWS.

Darth Sidious
09-02-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Prince Xizor

Yeah, really! Hasbro is the Rick McCallum of the toy industry! :D I do hope they make the curved sections though, it would be kind of stupid for all 6 or whatever creatures to be in a straight line... But hey, thats just how Hasbro McCallum thinks, isn't it? :D

LTBasker
09-02-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Prince Xizor

During clearances when they hardly make dollars.

About the curved sections, I think they'll eventually release some curved sections, I mean Hasbro has curved stuff in the past. ;) Look at Luminara's hilt in the package! :p

Turbowars
09-02-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker

About the curved sections, I think they'll eventually release some curved sections, I mean Hasbro has curved stuff in the past. ;) Look at Luminara's hilt in the package! :p I love it LT!!