PDA

View Full Version : Skiff Guards, you have work to do, Hasbro.

bigbarada
09-01-2002, 05:46 PM
First off let me say that Hasbro's 1998 Skiff Guards three-pack was probably the most misrepresented Cinema Scene of them all. Of the three figures offered, only one of them (Barada) was actually on one of the two skiffs in the film. The Nikto was one of the Sail Barge gunners and the Klaatu was another Sail Barge guard.

Of the key skiff in the movie (the one Luke, Han, Lando and Chewie were on) we have only gotten a figure of one of the guards on that skiff (Weequay). That leaves four characters who have never before been immortalized in plastic (Kithaba is kind of a strange pseudo-exception since the vintage Barada was scultped correctly but painted with Kithaba's colors, not Barada's).

Those four are:

Kithaba - the other Klatooinian
Vedain - the Nikto Skiff Driver and the one Lando wrestled with
Queequay - the other Weequay (yes, I know that according to EU all Weequays are referred to as Weequay; but that's just retarded)
Velken Tezeri - a human thug and I would completely understand if people balked at this suggestion

The second skiff is sort of a different story since it has been the source for a few Skiff Guards. Namely Barada, the vintage version of Nikto and Pote Snitkin. However, there are a few other characters on that Skiff that would make cool figures (including one that looks like Sgt. Doallyn).

Here's a reference pic of the four prisoner's skiff guards I mentioned above:

bigbarada
09-01-2002, 05:51 PM
As for the second skiff, I could only find one clear picture of it's passengers. This is taken from the back of Pote Snitkin's POTF2 card and is supposed to represent the skiff from his viewpoint.

On this you can see Barada on the far left, the Nikto the vintage figure was based on between a human guard (on the far right) and what I believe to be another Klaatu. I also believe that to be Sgt. Doallyn flying off the skiff. I have to watch that scene a little closer to see if there was anyone else on that skiff.

Rogue II
09-01-2002, 05:55 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'll buy just about any figure from the Classic Trilogy.

Finishing off the Skiff Guards would be cool. I don't even care if they are individually packaged or part of another cinema scene.

bigbarada
09-01-2002, 09:54 PM
As I find more photos I will post them detailing the Skiff Guards we need made before you guys bail on the Star Wars liscense. I don't mind doing all the legwork as long as we get these figures made.:)

This is a pic of the vintage Nikto with reference photo and the POTF2 3-pack Nikto with reference photo just to show that we aren't just making all this stuff up, these characters exist and many people want them made. BTW, the vintage Nikto was on the second skiff along with Barada and Pote Snitkin.

Rogue II
09-01-2002, 10:12 PM
Hey, BigBarada, I thought you might need some help with the pics. Check out these websites.

http://web.qx.net/red6/aliens/

And

http://web.qx.net/red6/forgotten/

and

http://www.jedinet.com/cgi-bin/galleries/multimedia/gallery.cgi?direct=Original_Trilogy/Individual_Films/Episode_VI_Return_of_the_Jedi&img=64

I read that there are 3 Nitko: 2 on the Skiff, 1 on the Sail Barge.

bigbarada
09-01-2002, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the links Rogue II!:cool: I got a lot of my pics from Red6, good site (except for it always trying to upload Quicktime updates onto my system:mad: ). I've never seen JediNet, but used to use AlderaanOnline, however they seem to be down right now.

I was looking for a good version of that picture with all the characters on the prisoner's skiff, thanks. I had to settle for the one that was on the Skiff Guards POTF2 filecard, but it suits my purposes for the next portion of my lesson:

Continuing on with Skiff Guards 101, here is a breakdown of all the characters on the Prisoner's Skiff, with close-ups of the four skiff guards who haven't been made yet:)

(Edit: I hate when I forget to attach the picture!:o )

Rogue II
09-01-2002, 10:58 PM
Since Hasbro has been loading figures with extra goodies in the Saga Line, I hope they include that blaster that hooks to the rail of the Sail Barge if they produce one of the other Nitkos.

tagmac
09-01-2002, 11:06 PM
Pote Snitkin is actually visible in ROTJ. It is for a second, but when Barada swings at Luke and misses, you can see Pote right behind them at the controls.

bigbarada
09-01-2002, 11:13 PM
I think there is a grand total of four Niktos in the Skiff battle: Vedain on the prisoner's skiff, one on the second skiff (the one detailed above), the gunner Nikto (the one we got in the 3-pack) and another one that just kind of pops his head out a hatch (more than likely to be clubbed by Luke's lightsaber - who knew it had a baseball bat setting?:) ).

Here is the fourth, his name is Nysad or whatever (we don't need him Hasbro, getting two more Niktos out of you will be good enough, this is just for reference):

bigbarada
09-01-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by tagmac
Pote Snitkin is actually visible in ROTJ. It is for a second, but when Barada swings at Luke and misses, you can see Pote right behind them at the controls.

Yep, he is slightly visible a couple of times, but you really have to be looking for him to find him. I don't mind that one bit, he's a great looking alien design and I'm glad he has a figure (and such a cool one too!). I don't really buy the fact that he died, if you were at the back of the skiff and saw this one Jedi slicing through everybody else like butter would you be stupid enough to take him on by yourself? I think not. (I'm of the notion that if we didn't actually see them die onscreen then there is a chance they survived the battle - I have a whole mini-story of how Barada survived the Skiff battle, minus one arm, and made it back to Jabba's palace.:) )

Anyway, here's Pote:

Rogue II
09-01-2002, 11:25 PM
Hmmm, check that out, my book is wrong. I was using Star Wars Chronicles as a reference and it said 3.

Speaking of Pote Snitkin...Have you tried putting him behind the controls of the Skiff? It is a tight fit.

bigbarada
09-01-2002, 11:41 PM
Yeah, Pote is nearly impossible to cram in that tiny space. With the Skiff toy being so small, I don't see being able to fit all nine characters in action figure form onto it. So that leaves two choices:

1. Remake the Skiff to be correctly scaled and include Vedain (the Nikto driver - for those of you who haven't been paying attention) as a pack in.

OR

2. Not make figures who probably wouldn't sell well: the Human guard, Velken, would be the only figure from the prisoner's skiff I would be willing to accept never being made, and some of the other guys from the second skiff could be passed over too if they are not interesting enough looking (we do need that Nikto I mention earlier and Sgt. Doallyn though). However, this is the least desirable option obviously.

Basically, correctly scaled Skiff or no, we want all the Skiff Guards made into figures.

BTW, as an aside to the comment I made about possible survivors of the Skiff Battle; I don't hold out much hope for Kithaba's survival,:cry: unless he managed to hitch a ride with Boba Fett.:)

bigbarada
09-02-2002, 01:14 AM
Skiff Guards 101: Lesson 2: The Second Skiff :)

Not 100% sure of who all the guards are on this skiff and frankly I really don't care. I don't want, nor do I believe it is realistic to expect all of these guys to be made into figures. So I will list what we do know. Fact: Barada, Pote Snitkin and the Nikto the vintage figure was based on were on the second skiff. That's all we know right now.

Figure Fact: The Pote Snitkin figure is perfect.

Figure Fact: The Barada figure, that was released in the POTF2 3-pack, leaves a lot to be desired, but expecting a resculpt of him is a little unrealistic (but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated by me). His main flaws are his right arm being noticeably longer than his left and his paint job - especially the green paint wash over his face and bandana, it looks terrible and more than a little half-***. The good points of the figure are that his overall sculpting is first rate (apart from that right arm) and his head-sculpt is so good that if you used it to make Kithaba I would not complain. (I'm giving you guys suggestions to cut costs here :) )

Figure Fact: If you guys were to make a modern equivalent of the vintage Nikto, not only would you make me (and any other Skiff Guard fans) happy, but you would also appease the collectors who want contemporary resculpts of every vintage figure. You'd be pleasing two groups of fans with one figure! How can you say 'no' to that?:happy:

There is a character on the second skiff that appears to be Sgt. Doallyn (the guy who was tossed against the wall by Chewie in Jabba's Palace) I'm pretty sure that is him, but can't be positive. In the picture that follows, I offer a comparison shot so that you (and anybody else reading this thread) can decide. In any case, a Sgt. Doallyn figure would be much appreciated.

The two unkown characters would be nice to have made but only after everybody else is done; BUT if they never see the inside of a bubble I really won't complain.

Oh yeah, a new Jedi Luke to go with all these goons would be great too, but that's a topic for another thread.:)

Jayspawn
09-02-2002, 01:19 AM
Skiff Guards was a great cinema scene. I'd like a few more skiff guards for my Jabba's Palace.

Jargo
09-02-2002, 03:09 PM
I'd like the skiff guards. I see no reason why the human skiff guards shouldn't be made. If like me you have two skiffs you kinda want to people them with characters that'd use them. So far I've got one skiff part full and that's using Pote as a pilot. I really couldn't care less if I never see another ROTJ Han or Luke or Chewbacca, I just want background aliens now. I'm so bored of the core characters it's unbelievable. Just give us these interesting characters. Alien skif guardsare cool human core characters are poo.

But I'd like the sail barge characters too. As well as a Sail barge playset. See my half of a ship posts for that but yes to skiff guards. MORE MORE MORE!

bigbarada
09-02-2002, 04:27 PM
Thanks for your support Jargo.:) And I think that avatar is one of your best ones, very funny with the Tusken's brain just popping out of his head like that.:D

Okay, on to Skiff Guards 101: Lesson 3: Barada - What went wrong:

Thus far we have gotten two figures in the entire SW line named Barada. The vintage version was, quite simply, something of a disappointment, especially in the sculpting department (compare him to the vintage Nikto, Klaatu, WeeQuay, Bib Fortuna, Amanaman, etc to understand my point). Along with the substandard sculpting we got a completely inaccurate paint job for the character, especially when compared to the photo on the card.

It seems that the figure was sculpted loosely after Barada, hence the backpack (which Kithaba didn't have) and the shoulder strap that hangs from the right shoulder to the left side of his waist (Kithaba's shoulder strap hangs from his left shoulder to the right side of his waist - NOTE: the decipher card photo is backwards, compare the pic of Kithaba standing next to Luke in the Skiff scene long shots). Even this sculpting wasn't so great as he was missing his gun holster and his face looked like the wax prototype had partially melted before having a mold made of it.

On top of that, add the bull-neck syndrome that the POTF figures inexplicably had (how could it be due to mold restrictions of the day when no other figure released before had that problem?) and his buffed up physique (Barada gets the honor of being the first 'bulked-up' SW figure).

Now, along with the inferior sculpting (which seemed to somehow be more prevalent in many of the POTF figures) was the totally inaccurate paint job. In the reference photos Barada wore a white, butterfly-collar shirt; blue pants with red piping, an orange bandana and had greenish-brown skin. The Barada figure we got had red pants, a yellow shirt with white sleeves and a red bandana, along with dark green skin.

Apart from the completely inaccurate skin tone, the coloration of the vintage Barada is more in line with Kithaba, who wore red pants and a red bandana. Kithaba's shirt was a yellowish-brown sleevless top over a white long sleeve shirt. My only guess is that the QA/QC people over at Kenner saw the figure and guessed that he would be too obscure to sell very well in those last days of Star Wars, so they fudged the paint job to make him look more like the Klatooinian standing directly behind Luke on the prisoner's Skiff. Too bad they packaged him with a photo of Barada, so every inaccuracy would stick out like a sore thumb.:stupid:

Moving on to the POTF2 Skiff Guards Cinema Scene 3-pack Barada. First off, on the sculpting: much, much better job, Hasbro! The only complaints I have, have been mentioned before (his abnormally long right arm and terrible paint job). I used to believe that getting a corrected version of this figure was asking too much of such an obscure character. However, while out walking my dog this morning, it hit me like a ton of bricks! With Hasbro's sudden trend of recycling old POTF2 figures, why not repackage Barada along with a Tatooine Accessory pack or as a pack-in for a re-released Tatooine Skiff? Simply retool that right arm, and give him a much better quality paint job and there you go! (Oh yeah, and give him the staff he used in the movie, none of these funky designed staffs that we have been getting with our Skiff Guards)

As for a Kithaba figure, I have already mentioned that the Barada head sculpt is good enough to be used for Kithaba also (ILM used the same mask mold for both characters); but his body will need to be completely sculpted from scratch (no simple retooling of hands and feet like you did with the Colonel Calamari figure from the Admiral Ackbar mold). But that is no big deal, all he has to do is stand there and hold his staff with both hands, basic articulation (6 points) will do fine for this, maybe swivel elbows and twisting wrists; but it's not necessary. See? I'm not asking too much Hasbro. I know we will never see a 30-points of articulation Star Wars figure (outside of FX-7, who has 38-points). All I ask is that you trust us and trust the Star Wars name.

Anyways, to close this lesson, here is a pic of the vintage and POTF2 Baradas along with ref photos for Kithaba and Barada from the films. This is to simply add a visual aid to my points above about the inaccuracies of the vintage Barada. (figure photo taken from yakface.com):cool:

manji
09-02-2002, 08:12 PM
Okay, BigBarada, please excuse my ignorance. Are you saying the POTF Skiff Guards Cinema Scence are NOT resculpts of the original Kenner Barada & Nikto? I have read all of your posts & have checked your comparison shots, but I'm still unclear. I passed over the three-pack because I thought they were resculpts of the vintage line and not completely new sculpts. Since I am fortunate enough to own all of the original Kenner line-up, I don't buy the resculpts - it's a compromise between my wife and me! Please advise.

P.S. I'm all for new skiff guards!

bigbarada
09-02-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by manji
Okay, BigBarada, please excuse my ignorance. Are you saying the POTF Skiff Guards Cinema Scence are NOT resculpts of the original Kenner Barada & Nikto? I have read all of your posts & have checked your comparison shots, but I'm still unclear. I passed over the three-pack because I thought they were resculpts of the vintage line and not completely new sculpts. Since I am fortunate enough to own all of the original Kenner line-up, I don't buy the resculpts - it's a compromise between my wife and me! Please advise.

P.S. I'm all for new skiff guards!

Well, the answer is "yes" and "no." Klaatu is a total resculpt of the vintage Klaatu Skiff Guard. Barada is technically a resculpt in name only, since the vintage version was so inaccurate (see my 'Barada - What Went Wrong' post above). The Nikto, however, is a completely new character. The Nikto offered in that pack was a gunner on the Sail Barge not a guard on the second skiff like the vintage Nikto.

Here is another photo layout showing the two different Niktos represented by each figure.

bigbarada
09-02-2002, 09:28 PM
Here's a comparison of the two Klaatus. As you can see they are the same character (who incidentally was not on either skiff, but was on the Sail Barge):

Beast
09-02-2002, 09:42 PM
Wow, how can I not support such a well researched and intelligent request such as this one from BigB. Come on Hasbro, make both BigB and Jargo happy and give us more skiff guards and Yarna.

And if you happen to wanna be nice and give me a correct non-action posed E2 Jar Jar Binks: Senatorial Address figure re-sculpt as well as a Jar Jar Binks: Gungan Senator figure, I would be thrilled. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
09-02-2002, 10:04 PM
Okay, here's the basic breakdown of all the characters on each skiff and the figures made of them (plus a few of the characters from the sail barge):

Prisoner's Skiff:
Luke Skywalker - Vintage, POTF2
Han Solo Carbonite- Vintage, POTF2
Chewbacca - Vintage, POTF2, POTJ, Saga
Lando Skiff Disguise - Vintage, POTF2
Weequay - Vintage, POTF2
Kithaba - never made (in name)
Queequay - never made
Vedain - never made
Velken Tezeri - never made

Second Skiff:
Pote Snitkin - POTF2
Barada - Vintage (see post about Barada above), POTF2
Unknown Nikto - Vintage
Sgt. Doallyn - never made
Unknown Klaatu - never made
Unknown Human - never made

Sail Barge:
Klaatu "Skiff Guard" - Vintage, POTF2
Nikto Gunner - POTF2
Leia Slave - POTF2, POTJ
Artoo (pop-up saber) - Vintage, POTF2

The rest of the Jabba's Palace Denizens break down like this:

Jabba - Vintage
Bib Fortuna - Vintage, POTF2
Ree Yees - Vintage, POTF2
Squidhead - Vintage, POTJ
Klaatu (Wooof) - Vintage
YakFace - Vintage, POTF2
Gamorrean Guard - Vintage, POTF2
Amanaman - Vintage, POTJ
8D8 - Vintage, POTF2
EV-9D9 - Vintage, POTF2
Rancor Keeper - Vintage, POTF2
Rancor - Vintage, POTF2
Sy Snootles - Vintage, POTF2
Max Rebo - Vintage, POTF2
Droopy McCool, Vintage, POTF2
Joh Yowza - POTF2
Doda Bodinwaeda (sp?) - POTF2
Barquin Dan - POTF2
Rystall, Greeata, Lynn Me - POTF2
Oola - POTF2
Leia Boushh - Vintage, POTF2
Ephant Mon - Saga
B'Omarr Monk - POTF2
Salacious Crumb - Vintage, POTF2, POTJ

The only vintage figures we haven't seen a modern version of are : Klaatu (Wooof), Nikto and Jabba (SE version and Ep1 version, never a ROTJ version)

bigbarada
09-02-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Wow, how can I not support such a well researched and intelligent request such as this one from BigB. Come on Hasbro, make both BigB and Jargo happy and give us more skiff guards and Yarna.

And if you happen to wanna be nice and give me a correct non-action posed E2 Jar Jar Binks: Senatorial Address figure re-sculpt as well as a Jar Jar Binks: Gungan Senator figure, I would be thrilled. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Thanks for the support, Jar Jar!:cool: This has evolved into my pet project (read: obsession), because I believe confusion over who is who on the skiffs is one of the reasons why we have so few of the Skiff Guard characters. Some people want every Cantina Patron made or every Jedi, Jabba's thugs are my thing so I campaign them.:)

As a side note, I also want a new version of AOTC Jar Jar without the goofy pose.

TylerD
09-03-2002, 12:59 AM
GREAT thread BigB! I am in total support of all your ideas! I too have a fascination with Jabba's palace...It would be awesome if Hasbro could somehow reproduce all of the characters as action figures...

And who knows? Since we're getting Ephant Mon (THANK THE MAKER! ;) ) we may also be getting more of the skiff guards, and hopefully Yarna....oh and Hermi Odle would be nice....LOL...

bigbarada
09-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Yes, we do need Hermi Odle and Yarna, there are several others but those two are just so big and cool, I don't know how Hasbro could not make them.

Back to Skiff Guards, I just watched ROTJ again last night and noticed that there are several guards on the second Skiff other than the six I mentioned earlier. I think there is like 8 or 9 of them total. Unfortunately the scenes go by so fast that it is nearly impossible to get good looks at them. Most of them, I fear, that unless there is some reference photos sitting around in the Lucasfilm Archices somewhere, we will never see action figures of.

I will try to dig up some pics of the second Skiff so that we can get a better idea of who all was there. What I wouldn't give for the ability to save images off of DVDs right now. I would go through the Skiff Battle frame by frame and pull out images of EVERY background character.:)

Beast
09-03-2002, 02:51 PM
Did you happen to check Decipher.com's card list for images of some of those skiff guards, BigB. I assume that you did, but I wasn't to sure. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
09-03-2002, 08:37 PM
I'm in. Is there a petition or something or do we just storm the castle? :)

bigbarada
09-03-2002, 10:06 PM
Thanks for your support, stillakid.:cool:

I pretty much decided that petitions don't work. What's the good of getting 200 people to say they want a figure, when Hasbro needs to make AT LEAST 100,000 of that figure just to break even?

I just figure a sustained informative campaign is best. Like I said earlier, I believe confusion over who these characters are is one of the primary reasons we don't have more toys of them. That's one of the main purposes of this thread, to help sort through all these guys and place names with faces.

It had never occured to me to check out Deciphers site, JarJar.:o Thanks for the suggestion, I will go there post haste.:cool:

bigbarada
09-04-2002, 05:52 AM
Okay, after checking out Decipher's site and going through the scene in ROTJ again, I have learned that there are seven aliens on the second skiff: Barada, Pote, the Nikto, one Klaatu, and (I think) three humans. I'm still not positive that the one character is Sgt. Doallyn or not.

Here is one of the Decipher cards with a rough pic of the second skiff when it approaches the prisoners skiff (after the attack starts), the picture isn't that clear at all and has evidence of more than a little Photoshopping. There is another Decipher card of the skiff from a less extreme angle but the figures on that one appear to be maquettes and not costumed extras at all. The most you can get from this picture is that there are seven guards on this skiff. You can clearly make out the Sgt. Doallyn looking guy, along with the Nikto. Barada is in the back with Pote, and the Klaatu is hanging off the side. A sixth figure is obviously human, and the seventh figure isn't too clear at all.

bigbarada
09-04-2002, 05:58 AM
Here is the other card. Again, all you can really glean from these pics is that there were seven guards on the skiff.

bigbarada
09-04-2002, 06:47 AM
Okay, after studying the pics closely I think I was able to figure out a few things. While we will never get truly clear pictures of all of these guys (since many of them were clearly just thrown together on the day of filming), I figure it may be best to come up with a compromise for some of the more obscure ones. Below is the picture off the back of Pote Snitkin's card again. If you look closely you can see another guard with just the top of his head showing (I circled it in red), he doesn't seem to fit in with any of the other guards and would bring the count up to eight. So, until I can find some other pictures, I will dismiss him for now.

For as many characters as I could, I paired them up with their most likely identities and two of those belonged to somewhat higher profile characters in Jabba's Palace:

- Sgt. Doallyn (if it is not him, the likeness is close enough and we do need a Doallyn figure)

- This Klaatu appears to be the same alien that was also the second Rancor Keeper (the match is very close and the Rancor Keeper Klaatu would be an acceptable substitute)

- The two human guards who I can only find a somewhat clear picture of one of them, the other appears to be the first guard shown falling into the Sarlacc (an editing glitch).

- Pote, Barada, the Nikto the ones we know.

bigbarada
09-04-2002, 06:54 AM
As another interesting side note, the human skiff guard, Velken Tezeri, appears to be the same human who was hitting on Sy Snootles in that famous promo shot. At the very least they are wearing the same outfit (since that scene was supposed to be taking place simultaneously with the skiff battle, this is impossible; but since it was cut, anything goes:) ).

With such impeccable taste in women, how could you not want this action figure?:D

Rogue II
09-04-2002, 07:40 AM
Wasn't this guy the first one that fell into the Pit? I remember seeing him falling in and losing his helmet, or was that a different human guard?

I didn't think Sgt Doallyn was on the Skiff, but obviously he was*. If they didn't produce him as a skiff guard, it would be a cool cinema scene to have him, Chewbacca(prisoner), and Leia (bounty hunter disguise).

* I'm going to have to double check Tales from Jabba's Palace. I don't remember if he was guarding the palace or if he escaped the Skiff and made it back. Either way, Sgt Doallyn survived and escaped with Yarna. I know, its EU.:rolleyes::D

Dryanta
09-04-2002, 08:14 AM
I have to say that's alot of research BB!
I'm in.The original should be as complete in plastic as possible.All the core characters have been done to death,time for the complete back ground to be finished.

bigbarada
09-04-2002, 01:09 PM
Some people go for quantity, others go for quality. I'm not taking any chances and going for both.;)

Velken Tezeri was the fourth person to fall off the skiff, but he was the first person shown going into the Sarlacc. Weequay was taken out first, then Kithaba, then Queequay, Velken fell next. The one whose helmet popped off when he hit the ground was Vedain, the Nikto that Lando wrestled with.

I'm about 90% sure that Sgt. Doallyn was the guy on the second skiff, even if he isn't he is pretty close and chances are greater that he will get made if he has another claim to fame. Few are going to remember "that guy with the black helmet," but if you say "that guy with the black helmet that Chewie threw against the wall and was in the skiff battle" then people are more likely to go, "Oh yeah, him." It doubles his chances of being recognized.

I realized this while reading an interview with some Hasbro guy, who stated that if the identity of the character stumped him the chances were slim that that character would ever get made. So we have to find a way to simplify these requests as much as possible. While that might include combining two characters, I'd rather have one character out of two, than neither of them.

I'll post a finalized list soon and kind of bring everything full circle. I just have to come up with another visual reference summarizing everything we have covered thus far.:)

bigbarada
09-06-2002, 01:36 AM
Well, here's a composite pic of the four figures we are asking for from the second skiff. Since Barada and Pote Snitkin have already been made and the other skiff guard is still an unknown, I will just post what we know so far.

Thus, to kind of summarize everything, here are the figures we are asking for here, Hasbro:

Kithaba
Queequay
Vedain
Velken Tezeri
Nikto Guard
Sgt. Doallyn
Giran (the Klaatu Rancor Keeper/Skiff Guard)
Human Mercenary (for lack of a better name)

That's eight figures, which could be done as four two packs or, if Hasbro is a little hesitant, release two 2-packs to sort of test the waters. Kithaba and Vedain; Sgt. Doallyn and Giran

Or if Hasbro is really hesitant, do another Klaatu, Barada, Nikto 3-pack (without the base), consisting of Kithaba, Vedain and Giran.

In any case, make Kithaba first.:)

bigbarada
09-07-2002, 11:31 PM
Well, thinking about it, I came up with a few cool ideas for how to re-release the Barada figure to make him worth everyone's time.

Since the whole backpack/holster/pouches section of his waist is a separate piece from the body then it can be resculpted to add a few cool features: removable backpack - sure we never saw him take off his backpack, but neither did the Endor Rebel Soldiers, it would just add a cool little extra; working holster - resculpt his gun to be correct scale and make the holster he wears on his size functional (this has almost become a staple of the line).

Apart from simply fixing his arm, maybe add some extra articulation in both arms to accomodate him holding his staff (you will have to give him a staff, y'know) in both hands.

Molding his head in brown and painting on green highlights would be cool also and would be more representative of the actual character.

As for accessories, packing him with one of the smaller beasts would be cool (Wol Cabas-hitte, or the Rock Wart). Or maybe even some EU accessories, some tools or diorama fodder spare skiff/speeder parts. OR make him along with a couple of other Jabba's Palace aliens, with mini-Jabba's palace interlocking playsets, like the current Cantina Sets. I dunno, just a little bit of brainstorming.

But, this is all just a pipe-dream since it is unlikely that a figure like Barada would warrant a resculpt considering how well he was made originally. So I guess you could just consider this the dreams of a hopeless fanboy.:)

karinations
09-10-2002, 01:17 AM
I agree the newer skiff guards totally blow. The 3 pack figures in general are kinda.eh..even if they look good ,the quality isn't even close to the carded figures.They are made with a softer crappier plastic and the paint applications are a lot less detailed.
No one ever mentions this but me /shrug

-V-

bigbarada
09-10-2002, 02:15 AM
I've noticed the same things, karinations. Figures offered individually carded are the best quality (most of the time). Any figure released as a multipack or pack-in seems to have less accurate and detailed sculpting and less precise paint applications. I think vehicle pack-in figures tend to be the worst though.

The Barada offered with the 3-pack is especially notable for having such a crappy paint job (one of the worst in the line). For one, they molded his head in yellowish-tan, then painted on his bandana color, THEN did a green paint wash over his entire head including the bandana.:stupid: Add to that the fact that his arms are one quarter of an inch different in length and you get two major, unprofessional mistakes that never would have made it past quality control on an individually carded figure.

I for one was glad to see the demise of the Cinema Scenes because I thought it was a chance to get higher quality versions of more obscure characters. Little did I know that Hasbro just planned to stop making the obscure characters altogether.:frus:

Rogue II
09-10-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I for one was glad to see the demise of the Cinema Scenes because I thought it was a chance to get higher quality versions of more obscure characters. Little did I know that Hasbro just planned to stop making the obscure characters altogether.:frus:

What's the matter? Isn't Djas Puhr or Kitik Keed'kak obscure enough for ya?;)

You are right. Other than Kitik Keed'kak, there isn't any more obscure figures in the rumor mills, are there?

*sigh*

So, where's the Skiff Guards and Yarna?

bigbarada
09-14-2002, 11:42 AM
Djas Puhr was a pretty decent figure and I am amazed that Hasbro actually made him. The idea that a Kitik Keedkak figure (or as I used to call him: "Crappy Praying Mantis Puppet") is being made totally blows my mind, I always assumed that he would be the last figure Hasbro would ever consider making. In fact, his existence gives me further hope that, no matter how obscure, any background character is a candidate for a figure.

Back to business, I finally found a good picture of the Klaatu skiff guard from the second skiff, but I can't scan it right now. For anyone who has the book (and I know Hasbro does) it is in Steve Sansweet's The Action Figure Archive on page 118, he is shown with the vintage Klaatu Skiff Guard figure. There is also a couple of pictures of the Klaatu Rancor Keeper on page 49, and from these pics, I can confirm that they are not the same character at all. As soon as I can scan these I will post them.

The reassuring thought, if such high quality pictures of these Skiff Guards exist, the odds of them being made increase (since Hasbro won't be working from fuzzy screenshots).

bigbarada
01-06-2003, 03:27 PM
Just wanted to mention....

Aw, who am I kidding? I'm just bumping this up since we know nobody ever reads past the first page.:D

bigbarada
06-07-2007, 06:56 PM
All that work and not a single new Skiff Guard figure in almost five years.:cry:

Droid
06-07-2007, 07:35 PM
I would love them to make Velken Tezeri, Taym Dren-garen, or any one of the human guards from Jabba's palace who pretty much wore that same outfit. I would buy several of them. I was pleased he was on some OTC packaging for someone from Jabba's Palace so that he is at least on Hasbro's radar.

It's funny. I never hear anyone ask for Taym Dren-Garen or see him on most wanted lists. HE SHOT LUKE. Of all the obscure characters that have been made, HE SHOT LUKE. That is more significant than an awful lot of background character's contribution to the story. I know Hasbro would say he is human and not as interesting as other Jabba's Palace characters, but it seems like he could at least be in a Battle Pack or something. I was let down by the Battle Over Carkoon Battle Pack or whatever it was called.

Taym Dren-Garen - MAKE HIM!

Gothiczartan
06-07-2007, 08:13 PM
First off let me say that Hasbro's 1998 Skiff Guards three-pack was probably the most misrepresented Cinema Scene of them all. Of the three figures offered, only one of them (Barada) was actually on one of the two skiffs in the film. The Nikto was one of the Sail Barge gunners and the Klaatu was another Sail Barge guard.

Of the key skiff in the movie (the one Luke, Han, Lando and Chewie were on) we have only gotten a figure of one of the guards on that skiff (Weequay). That leaves four characters who have never before been immortalized in plastic (Kithaba is kind of a strange pseudo-exception since the vintage Barada was scultped correctly but painted with Kithaba's colors, not Barada's).

Those four are:

Queequay - the other Weequay (yes, I know that according to EU all Weequays are referred to as Weequay; but that's just retarded)
Velken Tezeri - a human thug and I would completely understand if people balked at this suggestion

The second skiff is sort of a different story since it has been the source for a few Skiff Guards. Namely Barada, the vintage version of Nikto and Pote Snitkin. However, there are a few other characters on that Skiff that would make cool figures (including one that looks like Sgt. Doallyn).

Vedian must have all the SA

ball jointed neck
ball jointed shoulders/elbows
swivel waist
swivel wrist
ball jointed knees and ankles

removable hat (his hat flips off after he fell off from lando in ROTJ)
working holster for gun
gun (same one he use and lando struggle with it in the movie)

Kithaba

ball jointed neck
ball jointed shoulders and elbows
swivel waist and wrist

staff (he holds in the movie)

Queequay

have in in the vintage star wars collection line since the original figure was made in the years.

that human thug

ball jointed neck
swivel waist and wrist

removable helmet
working holster and gun (same one luke use the force to snatch it off in movie)

here is link to pics of all thugs on skiffs and sail barge!

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9096/swrotjjabbasguardsrr9.jpg

that nikto was from the movie 3 pack and needs to be re tooling for ball jointed shoulders/elbows/knees/ankles, swivel wrists and guns for sail barge in movie

Gothiczartan
06-07-2007, 08:16 PM
I would love them to make Velken Tezeri, Taym Dren-garen, or any one of the human guards from Jabba's palace who pretty much wore that same outfit. I would buy several of them. I was pleased he was on some OTC packaging for someone from Jabba's Palace so that he is at least on Hasbro's radar.

It's funny. I never hear anyone ask for Taym Dren-Garen or see him on most wanted lists. HE SHOT LUKE. Of all the obscure characters that have been made, HE SHOT LUKE. That is more significant than an awful lot of background character's contribution to the story. I know Hasbro would say he is human and not as interesting as other Jabba's Palace characters, but it seems like he could at least be in a Battle Pack or something. I was let down by the Battle Over Carkoon Battle Pack or whatever it was called.

Taym Dren-Garen - MAKE HIM!

the thug shoot luke's hand

ball jointed neck
ball jointed knees/ankles
swivel waist and wrist

removable helmet
working holster for gun
gun

Gothiczartan
06-07-2007, 08:18 PM
As I find more photos I will post them detailing the Skiff Guards we need made before you guys bail on the Star Wars liscense. I don't mind doing all the legwork as long as we get these figures made.:)

This is a pic of the vintage Nikto with reference photo and the POTF2 3-pack Nikto with reference photo just to show that we aren't just making all this stuff up, these characters exist and many people want them made. BTW, the vintage Nikto was on the second skiff along with Barada and Pote Snitkin.

how about nikto skiff guard and sail barge

skiff guard nikto

vintage the star wars collection, he was the original figure for SW toy line

sail barge gunner

re tooling for ball jointed shoulders
swivel elbows
sail barge guns
ball jointed knees

Gothiczartan
06-07-2007, 08:20 PM
I think there is a grand total of four Niktos in the Skiff battle: Vedain on the prisoner's skiff, one on the second skiff (the one detailed above), the gunner Nikto (the one we got in the 3-pack) and another one that just kind of pops his head out a hatch (more than likely to be clubbed by Luke's lightsaber - who knew it had a baseball bat setting?:) ).

Here is the fourth, his name is Nysad or whatever (we don't need him Hasbro, getting two more Niktos out of you will be good enough, this is just for reference):

that one from the sail barge that needs to be made as figure

I want all thugs from skiffs and sail barge to be made as figures!

Gothiczartan
06-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks for your support Jargo.:) And I think that avatar is one of your best ones, very funny with the Tusken's brain just popping out of his head like that.:D

Okay, on to Skiff Guards 101: Lesson 3: Barada - What went wrong:

Thus far we have gotten two figures in the entire SW line named Barada. The vintage version was, quite simply, something of a disappointment, especially in the sculpting department (compare him to the vintage Nikto, Klaatu, WeeQuay, Bib Fortuna, Amanaman, etc to understand my point). Along with the substandard sculpting we got a completely inaccurate paint job for the character, especially when compared to the photo on the card.

It seems that the figure was sculpted loosely after Barada, hence the backpack (which Kithaba didn't have) and the shoulder strap that hangs from the right shoulder to the left side of his waist (Kithaba's shoulder strap hangs from his left shoulder to the right side of his waist - NOTE: the decipher card photo is backwards, compare the pic of Kithaba standing next to Luke in the Skiff scene long shots). Even this sculpting wasn't so great as he was missing his gun holster and his face looked like the wax prototype had partially melted before having a mold made of it.

On top of that, add the bull-neck syndrome that the POTF figures inexplicably had (how could it be due to mold restrictions of the day when no other figure released before had that problem?) and his buffed up physique (Barada gets the honor of being the first 'bulked-up' SW figure).

Now, along with the inferior sculpting (which seemed to somehow be more prevalent in many of the POTF figures) was the totally inaccurate paint job. In the reference photos Barada wore a white, butterfly-collar shirt; blue pants with red piping, an orange bandana and had greenish-brown skin. The Barada figure we got had red pants, a yellow shirt with white sleeves and a red bandana, along with dark green skin.

Apart from the completely inaccurate skin tone, the coloration of the vintage Barada is more in line with Kithaba, who wore red pants and a red bandana. Kithaba's shirt was a yellowish-brown sleevless top over a white long sleeve shirt. My only guess is that the QA/QC people over at Kenner saw the figure and guessed that he would be too obscure to sell very well in those last days of Star Wars, so they fudged the paint job to make him look more like the Klatooinian standing directly behind Luke on the prisoner's Skiff. Too bad they packaged him with a photo of Barada, so every inaccuracy would stick out like a sore thumb.:stupid:

Moving on to the POTF2 Skiff Guards Cinema Scene 3-pack Barada. First off, on the sculpting: much, much better job, Hasbro! The only complaints I have, have been mentioned before (his abnormally long right arm and terrible paint job). I used to believe that getting a corrected version of this figure was asking too much of such an obscure character. However, while out walking my dog this morning, it hit me like a ton of bricks! With Hasbro's sudden trend of recycling old POTF2 figures, why not repackage Barada along with a Tatooine Accessory pack or as a pack-in for a re-released Tatooine Skiff? Simply retool that right arm, and give him a much better quality paint job and there you go! (Oh yeah, and give him the staff he used in the movie, none of these funky designed staffs that we have been getting with our Skiff Guards)

As for a Kithaba figure, I have already mentioned that the Barada head sculpt is good enough to be used for Kithaba also (ILM used the same mask mold for both characters); but his body will need to be completely sculpted from scratch (no simple retooling of hands and feet like you did with the Colonel Calamari figure from the Admiral Ackbar mold). But that is no big deal, all he has to do is stand there and hold his staff with both hands, basic articulation (6 points) will do fine for this, maybe swivel elbows and twisting wrists; but it's not necessary. See? I'm not asking too much Hasbro. I know we will never see a 30-points of articulation Star Wars figure (outside of FX-7, who has 38-points). All I ask is that you trust us and trust the Star Wars name.

Anyways, to close this lesson, here is a pic of the vintage and POTF2 Baradas along with ref photos for Kithaba and Barada from the films. This is to simply add a visual aid to my points above about the inaccuracies of the vintage Barada. (figure photo taken from yakface.com):cool:

barada re tooling for ball jointed shoulders and elbows
ball jointed knees!

bigbarada
06-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Vedian must have all the SA

ball jointed neck
swivel waist
swivel wrist

removable hat (his hat flips off after he fell off from lando in ROTJ)
working holster for gun
gun (same one he use and lando struggle with it in the movie)

Kithaba

ball jointed neck
swivel waist and wrist

staff (he holds in the movie)

Queequay

have in in the vintage star wars collection line since the original figure was made in the years.

that human thug

ball jointed neck
swivel waist and wrist

removable helmet
working holster and gun (same one luke use the force to snatch it off in movie)

here is link to pics of all thugs on skiffs and sail barge!

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9096/swrotjjabbasguardsrr9.jpg

that nikto was from the movie 3 pack and needs to be re tooling for ball jointed shoulders/elbows/knees/ankles, swivel wrists and guns for sail barge in movie

Now we're on the same page! :thumbsup:

Has anyone ever thought that the Skiffs should have just been raining body parts with the way Luke was swinging that lightsaber?

I guess he had it on the "baseball bat" setting.:D

Droid
06-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Now we're on the same page! :thumbsup:

Has anyone ever thought that the Skiffs should have just been raining body parts with the way Luke was swinging that lightsaber?

I guess he had it on the "baseball bat" setting.:D

Ya, the bugs me too. Not sure how they could have gotten around it with filming as they couldn't have made it a gorefest. I guess he was just cutting deep enough to wound or kill, but not to sever so as not to make a mess. :)

Jargo
06-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Well probably there's no gore and body parts for the same reason ewoks weren't blasted apart by AT-ST fire. Only droids, ugly aliens and lead characters are allowed to be siced and diced.

back to the thread.
I don't see any point making sail barge guards as we have no sail barge. I'd sooner hasbro concentrated on filling the skiffs. as it is possible to get two skiffs and fill them. Unless hasbro creates a playset that has the rear deck, observation deck and sail barge gun emplacement as in an almost to scale 'part' of the sail barge relevent to the skiff battle. kind of a two layer thing.

therefore my list would only extend to:

Skiff #1
Velken Tezeri
Wooof.
Vedain
Weequay white top
Weequay brown top
Kithaba

Skiff#2
Barada
Sgt. Doallyn
Gailid
Giran
Pote Snitkin
Nikto that was a vintage figure. Blue outfit.
Bowl helmet and grey jumpsuit dude at the front of the skiff.

If I got kithaba and barada on the wrong skiff forgive me but I get so damn confused with those two.

Gothiczartan
06-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Well probably there's no gore and body parts for the same reason ewoks weren't blasted apart by AT-ST fire. Only droids, ugly aliens and lead characters are allowed to be siced and diced.

back to the thread.
I don't see any point making sail barge guards as we have no sail barge. I'd sooner hasbro concentrated on filling the skiffs. as it is possible to get two skiffs and fill them. Unless hasbro creates a playset that has the rear deck, observation deck and sail barge gun emplacement as in an almost to scale 'part' of the sail barge relevent to the skiff battle. kind of a two layer thing.

therefore my list would only extend to:

Skiff #1
Velken Tezeri
Wooof.
Vedain
Weequay white top
Weequay brown top
Kithaba

Skiff#2
Barada
Sgt. Doallyn
Gailid
Giran
Pote Snitkin
Nikto that was a vintage figure. Blue outfit.
Bowl helmet and grey jumpsuit dude at the front of the skiff.

If I got kithaba and barada on the wrong skiff forgive me but I get so damn confused with those two.

what about the other weequey who fell out of the sail barge, and other thugs on the sail barge that include the one shot luke's hand?

we need a retooled nikto (movie 3 pack) with ball jointed shoulders and knees, swivel elbows and wrist, a gun stand.

barada needs the retooling on the arms and legs with ball jointed on shoulders/elbows/knees.

Gothiczartan
06-09-2007, 08:31 PM
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/toys/potfniktofront.jpg

this guy needs a re tooling on arms, waist and legs and add a gun stand from the movie!

ball jointed or swivel elbows
swivel wrists
ball jointed knees

Jargo
06-09-2007, 08:42 PM
as I said -

That's why no characters from the sail barge included. It's unlikely Hasbro will ever get around to doing anything with the sail barge. yes it would be nice to also get sail barge guards but as there's a skiff out there and some like me bought two, filling up a vehicle that already exists is preferable to making a bunch of characters with no vehicle for them to guard. so if sail barge guards are made it should be because they were seen in the throne room not for being a sail barge guard. if that makes sense.

Droid
06-09-2007, 09:08 PM
I don't care if he was standing on the sail barge or on a skiff - I want the guard that SHOT LUKE.

Jargo
06-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I want gets nothing. We say "Please may I have." or "I should very much like". Now go and sit on the naughty stool.

bigbarada
08-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Just want to remind Hasbro that, out of 11 Skiff Guards, only three have been made into action figures in the modern line: Weequay, Barada, and Pote Snitkin. Out of the five Skiff Guards on the prisoner skiff, we've only gotten one action figure (Weequay) and the most recent version of that figure is over ten years old!

Easily the most neglected group of characters in all of Star Wars. And they're not from a minor little scene, they're from a primary action sequence in ROTJ.

Here's the rundown one more time along with a listing of every figure made of those characters:

Skiff 1:
Weequay - ROTJ 1983, POTF2 1997
Kithaba - never
Qeequay - never
Velken Tezeri - never
Vedain - never

Skiff 2:
Pote Snitkin - POTF2 1998
Barada - POTF 1985, POTF2 1999, Saga2 2006
Nikto (Beytmun) - ROTJ 1984
Giran - never
SGT Doallyn - never (rumored)
Human Guard - never

Gothiczartan
08-22-2007, 08:55 PM
how about this guy needed retooling in the pic, the one shooting the skiff with han, chewie and lando!

http://img54.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vizamretoolingrg7.jpg

Sinscia Fat'o
08-25-2007, 03:49 PM
A new Weeoquay is needed, a new Nikito would be welcomed as long as it's not the same old one that Kenner abd Hasbro has done...When you really look at it besides for Oola, a few band members, a better Gammorean, and Yarna there really isn't much left to do from Jabba's palace. Not to say i wouldn't buy them, but there are better places to spend reasources. I think that the skiff thing is better suited for battle packs and such and not carded release.

El Chuxter
08-25-2007, 04:18 PM
A new Weeoquay is needed, a new Nikito would be welcomed as long as it's not the same old one that Kenner abd Hasbro has done...When you really look at it besides for Oola, a few band members, a better Gammorean, and Yarna there really isn't much left to do from Jabba's palace.

I dunno. I'd take Sergeant Doallyn, Loje Nella, Velken Tezeri, Wam "Blam" Lufba, Nizuc Bek, Fozek, Taym Dren-garen, Melina Carniss, Jess, Bane Malar, Gauron Nas Tal, Cane Adiss, Vul Tazaene, or BG-J38 over any Clonetrooper repaint any day.

Sinscia Fat'o
08-25-2007, 05:14 PM
I dunno. I'd take Sergeant Doallyn, Loje Nella, Velken Tezeri, Wam "Blam" Lufba, Nizuc Bek, Fozek, Taym Dren-garen, Melina Carniss, Jess, Bane Malar, Gauron Nas Tal, Cane Adiss, Vul Tazaene, or BG-J38 over any Clonetrooper repaint any day.

I'm not saying not any of these would make fine figures for collectors, but look at it realisticly, half of these figures were blink and you miss characters. They had no real EU importance, and their look is less than exciting. At least a repainted clone could serve a purpose for army builders. *Cough" shadow Trooper* But lets take a look at your formentioned characters...

Sergeant Doallyn-Cool look, would see to kids and collectors, no problem with him getting made, and will probably see the light of day.

Loje Nella-he's an accountant....Hmmm his main appearence in the movie was a shadow behind Max Rebo band...a shadow...*Confused as to why he should be made...*

Velken Tezeri- A human skiff guard..with no coolness factor...Loje has a better chance of getting made.

Wam "Blam" Lufba-much likeDoallyn this guy is cool and deserves to get made. appeals to everyone and has everything a cool alien figure needs, i hope he gets made and agree with you 100% about him.

Nizuc Bek-Why? If he at least had a speaking role as Wuhler then i would agree he'd be fine, but he's boring looking, as no real appeal to casual collectors or kids.

Fozek- I have no idea who this even is...he's not even on Wookiepedia. If your not at leasr on wookiepedia then he has little no no chance of being made.

Taym Dren-garen- of all the humans he's probably the better choice of them, but he doesn't have a whole lot going for him, maybe in a battle pack with some tuskens and moisture vaporators...

Melina Carniss-If done right this would be a very cool figure, and i gotta give the nod in her case.

Jess- Always thought she was interesting, and would make a fine character, though she's so hard to spot to the casual viewer that her chances of actually getting made is slim to none, but yes i would buy her because i gotta a thing for chicks and blue hair. :)

Bane Malar- Awesome character, though he's again hard to spot in the palace, but he would make a great figure.

Gauron Nas Tal- im mixed on him, the saurin from the mos eisly should be made first...but this guy had a clearer scene in the films. Though either way this species has yet to made in plastic, so again thumbs up.

Vul Tazaene-Im mixed because we used this guy in our Star Wars RPG game, so he would make a great figure for me personally...but hes boring looking. strap some clone armor on him and he would be a great figure LOL. But seriously he has no business as a figure....other than being the guy behind Dengar.

BG-J38 - id rather see a resculpt of 8-d-8 first... maybe as a varient or a running change this guy could get made, but he's got a decent shot.

My point is alot of these characters have little importance in the star wars story, majority of them wouldn' even have names if not for the old CCG, alot of them are boring. 6 of these out of 13 i would buy over a clone trooper... id say two of them actually have a chance of getting made.

bigbarada
08-25-2007, 06:31 PM
So, let me get this straight, your entire argument revolves around the concept of Hasbro rereleasing the same 3-4 figures over and over and over and over and over again with only differing color schemes and paint jobs to distinguish them from previous releases, while all-new sculpt figures get completely ignored?:stupid:

Sorry, if Hasbro goes that route, then the line needs to die right now.

El Chuxter
08-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Sorry, I spelled "Fozec (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Fozec)" wrong.

I would argue that every one of those, even the humans with less than astounding costumes, are far more interesting than Flavor-Of-The-Week Clonetrooper. Y'know, I wouldn't mind Clonetroopers nearly as much if they just kept releasing a standard Clonetrooper in each wave, using the same packaging, and just rotated the color scheme so that there were four or five a year. But, the way they're doing them now, they take up valuable space in the line, and the expense of creating new packaging for a few dots of red paint slapped on the same old figure is a waste.

Hell, I don't even think Gree and the Kashyyyk Trooper should be coming out in new sculpts already. Yes, the first releases were inaccurate and lacking, and they should've been done right to begin with, but an update already? How long have we been waiting for Dr Evazan to not look like crap, and his figure is far worse than the first-release Kashyyyk Trooper.

Gothiczartan
08-25-2007, 08:27 PM

Yeah, ones with removable helmets/hoods/hats will be sergeant doallyn, velken tezeri, and other skiff thugs wearing that will have removable tops!

retooled barada with ball jointed shoulders and elbows, ball jointed knees for a better articulation for holding a staff and bending knees!

that nikto with removable hat and other nikto one lando struggle with will have a removable hat and armor vest, working holster for blaster and blaster!

Sinscia Fat'o
08-25-2007, 10:06 PM
So, let me get this straight, your entire argument revolves around the concept of Hasbro rereleasing the same 3-4 figures over and over and over and over and over again with only differing color schemes and paint jobs to distinguish them from previous releases, while all-new sculpt figures get completely ignored?:stupid:

Sorry, if Hasbro goes that route, then the line needs to die right now.

Your not getting what im saying, first and fore most, it's not the same figures over and over again, it's apart of star wars being the clones and a very important one at that for the lines survival. Clones sell whether they're peg warmers or not, they eventually do sell, its a bitter pill that we as fans must swallow. Do you think i want just clones? No of course not. But do i understand they have to make clones to justify you getting which ever obscure background character you want this month, and me getting which ever obscure EU character i've latched on to this moth... Face it Clones, Lukes, Vaders R2, ETC is what keeps the lines alive not OURS as collectors prefrence.

Let me also ask you this if your a parent, of child and your not a star wars nerd, someone who has only seen the movies a few times on cable who are you going to buy for your kid? Obsure Skiff thug, or Clone? Thats my argument. And you know im right, because Hasbro has said the same thing...if you want these guys your going to have to suffer through Clones and rehashes of main characters.

And as far as the non flavorful members of Jabbas court goes, there're just better characters than a human bartender, whos only on camera for second if not less, what about Ackbar? Isn't he in need of a new sculpt? What about Palapatine dont he need a new sculpt? Jedi Knight Luke? Lets not forget EU characters, like Kyle Katarn, Sassee Tinn's Clone Wars armor...Im just saying as much as i hope you guys get what you want, i can't logically agree, because there is still to much to be made, other than bland human thugs. Though i will say that Barada does need a new sculpt, and yes he needs articulation, but this is something that can be done in a battle pack, and should have been done in the skiff battle pack last year. So i doubt you'll see that any time soon.

bigbarada
08-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Your not getting what im saying, first and fore most, it's not the same figures over and over again, it's apart of star wars being the clones and a very important one at that for the lines survival. Clones sell whether they're peg warmers or not, they eventually do sell, its a bitter pill that we as fans must swallow. Do you think i want just clones? No of course not. But do i understand they have to make clones to justify you getting which ever obscure background character you want this month, and me getting which ever obscure EU character i've latched on to this moth... Face it Clones, Lukes, Vaders R2, ETC is what keeps the lines alive not OURS as collectors prefrence.

Let me also ask you this if your a parent, of child and your not a star wars nerd, someone who has only seen the movies a few times on cable who are you going to buy for your kid? Obsure Skiff thug, or Clone? Thats my argument. And you know im right, because Hasbro has said the same thing...if you want these guys your going to have to suffer through Clones and rehashes of main characters.

And as far as the non flavorful members of Jabbas court goes, there're just better characters than a human bartender, whos only on camera for second if not less, what about Ackbar? Isn't he in need of a new sculpt? What about Palapatine dont he need a new sculpt? Jedi Knight Luke? Lets not forget EU characters, like Kyle Katarn, Sassee Tinn's Clone Wars armor...Im just saying as much as i hope you guys get what you want, i can't logically agree, because there is still to much to be made, other than bland human thugs. Though i will say that Barada does need a new sculpt, and yes he needs articulation, but this is something that can be done in a battle pack, and should have been done in the skiff battle pack last year. So i doubt you'll see that any time soon.

Well the Skiff Guards aren't "flavor of the month" figures for me, they are characters that I have wanted in action figure form for over 20 years. This thread itself was started by me five years ago, so that should say something about how much I want figures of these characters.

Of course, kids want Clonetroopers at the moment just like kids wanted Ewoks back in 1983-84. However, kids will eventually move on, especially if the cartoon doesn't do well and Hasbro will be stuck with us again as the primary buyers of the toy line. They will quickly find that making those obscure background characters from the movies is going to keep collectors coming back again and again.

Sure, some fans really, really want EU figures and I have no problem with that, but not entire waves of them at the expense of movie figures. Maybe one per wave, similar to the McQuarrie figures. I believe focusing a majority of the line on EU will ultimately sink the entire toy line.

Sinscia Fat'o
08-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Well the Skiff Guards aren't "flavor of the month" figures for me, they are characters that I have wanted in action figure form for over 20 years. This thread itself was started by me five years ago, so that should say something about how much I want figures of these characters.

Of course, kids want Clonetroopers at the moment just like kids wanted Ewoks back in 1983-84. However, kids will eventually move on, especially if the cartoon doesn't do well and Hasbro will be stuck with us again as the primary buyers of the toy line. They will quickly find that making those obscure background characters from the movies is going to keep collectors coming back again and again.

Sure, some fans really, really want EU figures and I have no problem with that, but not entire waves of them at the expense of movie figures. Maybe one per wave, similar to the McQuarrie figures. I believe focusing a majority of the line on EU will ultimately sink the entire toy line.

WE aren't the primiary buyers of this toy line. Kids and parents are the primiary buyers of this line, WE being collectors are the most loyal, but we don't make up the majority of their business for the line. (I know this because i work in retail, which means i see this everyday) Kids like collectors are fickle and go back and fourth between lines, and other things like video games, sports, CCG ETC, but making line after line of these obscure characters only, which is what your suggesting (Im guessing) will sink the line faster than EU, or lines of nothing but clones.

At the expense of movie figures? What does that mean, if anything characters like Jacen, Jainia, Clone Wars Cartoon characters, Exar Kun, Knights of the Old Republic, are taking hits because of these characters that wouldn't have names, back stories if not for EU (Mostly Decipher CCG back in the day) See what im saying, these prescious micro second characters from the films are just as EU as Kun, Bastillia, Guri, Dash Rendar, Jacen, Tenel Ka, ETC, in some reguards they might be more. (And when i say that "EU" characters have taken hits from the micro second guys i mean that they're just now starting to roll off the asembly line...this should have happened between episodes of the prequals)

I respect you wanting these figures, and again im not trying to be a prick, im just trying to show you just because you want something doesn't mean the community needs what you want. Sure 3-4 of the skiff guards should see some light of day when it comes to production, but not all of them and not every micro second character, thats the best way to loose ground, which means loss profits, which means the end of the hobby. As much as i want Tales of the Jedi characters made (and i want all of them) i know on the business side of things maybe 4-6 characters from the tales of the jedi series could habdle being realased. To me Jabbas Accountant is a waste of a slot in the line, to you Arca Jeth may be a waste of a slot, but to the business side of things both of them are wastes of space for a more exciting character like Obi, Luke, ETC. What i feel is sad is that we want the same things, but from different points of view.

(Oh and when i was a kid i hated ewoks, i think i owned two of the kenner ewok figures from ROTJ, and thats because they were gifts, when i was a kid i wanted Aliens: Cantania Jabbas palace, Storm Troopers, and Han solo, Ewoks i totally dispised. But by no means do i feel they shouldn't have made them furry critters. Because im pretty sure back then as a child i was alone in this demographic, in hating them.)

bigbarada
08-26-2007, 09:27 PM
WE aren't the primiary buyers of this toy line. Kids and parents are the primiary buyers of this line, WE being collectors are the most loyal, but we don't make up the majority of their business for the line. (I know this because i work in retail, which means i see this everyday) Kids like collectors are fickle and go back and fourth between lines, and other things like video games, sports, CCG ETC, but making line after line of these obscure characters only, which is what your suggesting (Im guessing) will sink the line faster than EU, or lines of nothing but clones.

At the expense of movie figures? What does that mean, if anything characters like Jacen, Jainia, Clone Wars Cartoon characters, Exar Kun, Knights of the Old Republic, are taking hits because of these characters that wouldn't have names, back stories if not for EU (Mostly Decipher CCG back in the day) See what im saying, these prescious micro second characters from the films are just as EU as Kun, Bastillia, Guri, Dash Rendar, Jacen, Tenel Ka, ETC, in some reguards they might be more. (And when i say that "EU" characters have taken hits from the micro second guys i mean that they're just now starting to roll off the asembly line...this should have happened between episodes of the prequals)

I respect you wanting these figures, and again im not trying to be a prick, im just trying to show you just because you want something doesn't mean the community needs what you want. Sure 3-4 of the skiff guards should see some light of day when it comes to production, but not all of them and not every micro second character, thats the best way to loose ground, which means loss profits, which means the end of the hobby. As much as i want Tales of the Jedi characters made (and i want all of them) i know on the business side of things maybe 4-6 characters from the tales of the jedi series could habdle being realased. To me Jabbas Accountant is a waste of a slot in the line, to you Arca Jeth may be a waste of a slot, but to the business side of things both of them are wastes of space for a more exciting character like Obi, Luke, ETC. What i feel is sad is that we want the same things, but from different points of view.

(Oh and when i was a kid i hated ewoks, i think i owned two of the kenner ewok figures from ROTJ, and thats because they were gifts, when i was a kid i wanted Aliens: Cantania Jabbas palace, Storm Troopers, and Han solo, Ewoks i totally dispised. But by no means do i feel they shouldn't have made them furry critters. Because im pretty sure back then as a child i was alone in this demographic, in hating them.)

Well we do agree more than it seems. Balanced waves are the only thing that is going to keep the line alive. My stand on this is that Lukes, Leias, Vaders, Solos and Clonetroopers will ALWAYS be a part of the line and they need to be. However, since it is a given that we will see new versions of those characters year after year, then I believe it is a waste of time to ask for them. My point with this Skiff Guards thread was to bring some attention to these 12 characters in the hopes of increasing the chances that we will see 4 or 5 of them eventually made.

The reality of it is, unless Hasbro is going to make a correctly-scaled Skiff vehicle, there is no way that all 12 Skiff Guards are going to fit on the current toys along with Luke, Han, Chewie and Lando. So it's kind of pointless to make them all. So I think the human guards should go on the back burner and Hasbro should focus on the aliens.

Hasbro has already said that we can expect to see many of these guards made in the next few years, but we shouldn't expect more than 2 per year. That's great news for me. I've already waited 24 years, I can wait a few more to see the ones that I want made, made well and individually carded.

Honestly, if Hasbro planned to just throw out a half-arsed battlepack of all of these guys made of primarily repaints and kitbashes, then I would say don't bother.

When these super-obscure characters are made and sold individually carded, then Hasbro really has to go the extra mile in making them appear to be worth the pricetag. Look at figures like Ephant Mon, FX-7 and R1-G4, those are perfect examples of Hasbro going waaaay above and beyond to make an obscure character appealing. I would like these Skiff Guards to get the same treatment, but not necessarily all 12.

So, here are the figures I want broken down into tiers:

Tier 1 (I want these to be all-new sculpts and individually carded):
Kithaba (Barada alien on prisoner skiff)
Giran (Klaatu alien on second skiff)
Weequay resculpt
Vedain (prisoner skiff driver who Lando tangled with)

Tier 2 (I don't mind if some of these reuse parts - mainly alien headsculpts; but I would prefer them individually carded):
Barada resculpt
Nikto Guard (remake of the vintage figure)
SGT Doallyn (rumored for 2008)
Queequay (the second Weequay on the prisoner skiff)
Velken Tezeri (human guard on the prisoner skiff)

Tier 3 (If these are the only ones we NEVER see then I am not really worried about it, but I will buy them if Hasbro makes them):
Human Guard #1 from second skiff
Human Guard #2 from second skiff

Tier 4 (retooling of existing figure is acceptable):
Pote Snitkin resculpt (but only if we get a larger skiff toy)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm not asking for a figure of Jabba's accountant. I would buy him if he was made well, but I'm not worried about it. I'm talking about characters who played a major role in one of the primary action sequences of ROTJ, there is a difference.

Gothiczartan
09-06-2007, 01:25 AM

Those four are:

Vedain must have be near SA with working holster for gun, removable hood and gun

Velken Tezeri must be near SA with working holster and gun, removable helmet

Kithbaba must be near SA with staff

bigbarada
09-06-2007, 02:07 AM
Unfortunately, there is a problem with the current Skiff toy. If you look at the photo I've attached, you can see that there is no way that figures of all five skiff guards, Luke, Han, Chewie, and Lando are going to fit on the vehicle as it stands now.

We can't crowd out the four heroes of the story, so I think we should prioritize which guards get made. First off Weequay, he's the guard who pushes Luke out onto the plank, so he is necessary. Vedain, the Nikto Skiff driver, is important because he pulls Lando out of the Skiff and in range of the Sarlacc.

So that leaves one of the middle guards. Velken Tezeri, to me, is pretty boring being just a human; so he's low on my priority list. Queequay is cool, but would be the second Weequay figure for that skiff. So, that leaves Kithaba, a very cool looking Klatooinian and a figure that received a minor nod in the vintage line and has a very memorable death scene as he is dragged screaming into the Sarlacc's mouth.

Ideally, it would be great if all the Skiff Guard figures were made, but if we just got a new Weequay, Kithaba and Vedain, I would be thrilled.

Gothiczartan
09-06-2007, 02:59 AM
Unfortunately, there is a problem with the current Skiff toy. If you look at the photo I've attached, you can see that there is no way that figures of all five skiff guards, Luke, Han, Chewie, and Lando are going to fit on the vehicle as it stands now.

We can't crowd out the four heroes of the story, so I think we should prioritize which guards get made. First off Weequay, he's the guard who pushes Luke out onto the plank, so he is necessary. Vedain, the Nikto Skiff driver, is important because he pulls Lando out of the Skiff and in range of the Sarlacc.

So that leaves one of the middle guards. Velken Tezeri, to me, is pretty boring being just a human; so he's low on my priority list. Queequay is cool, but would be the second Weequay figure for that skiff. So, that leaves Kithaba, a very cool looking Klatooinian and a figure that received a minor nod in the vintage line and has a very memorable death scene as he is dragged screaming into the Sarlacc's mouth.

Ideally, it would be great if all the Skiff Guard figures were made, but if we just got a new Weequay, Kithaba and Vedain, I would be thrilled.

there will be plenty of room to hold about 8 figures on the skiff.

Gothiczartan
09-06-2007, 03:04 AM
Well, here's a composite pic of the four figures we are asking for from the second skiff. Since Barada and Pote Snitkin have already been made and the other skiff guard is still an unknown, I will just post what we know so far.

Thus, to kind of summarize everything, here are the figures we are asking for here, Hasbro:

Kithaba
Queequay
Vedain
Velken Tezeri
Nikto Guard
Sgt. Doallyn
Giran (the Klaatu Rancor Keeper/Skiff Guard)
Human Mercenary (for lack of a better name)

That's eight figures, which could be done as four two packs or, if Hasbro is a little hesitant, release two 2-packs to sort of test the waters. Kithaba and Vedain; Sgt. Doallyn and Giran

Or if Hasbro is really hesitant, do another Klaatu, Barada, Nikto 3-pack (without the base), consisting of Kithaba, Vedain and Giran.

In any case, make Kithaba first.:)

I hope this is the right thug you add on there

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Giran

Gothiczartan
09-06-2007, 03:10 AM

I think they should make a new sculpt skiff in movie accurate size to fit the figures in to recreate movie scene.

El Chuxter
09-06-2007, 09:37 AM
there will be plenty of room to hold about 8 figures on the skiff.

Do you have a picture? No way I can fit eight on mine.

Gothiczartan
09-06-2007, 09:57 AM

they should make a little larger scale skiff just like they already did made the x wing fighter and the bigger wings for the tie fighter.

Gothiczartan
09-06-2007, 10:02 AM

here are links

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9901/skiffguardsgf0.png

bigbarada
09-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Those guys are crammed on there like sardines! If the Skiff was that size in the movie, then Luke could have killed everyone (include Lando, Han and Chewie) with one swing of his lightsaber. :stupid:

We do need a larger Skiff, but since Hasbro seems so reluctant to rerelease the current one, I doubt we will ever see it.

Sinscia Fat'o
09-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Those guys are crammed on there like sardines! If the Skiff was that size in the movie, then Luke could have killed everyone (include Lando, Han and Chewie) with one swing of his lightsaber. :stupid:

We do need a larger Skiff, but since Hasbro seems so reluctant to rerelease the current one, I doubt we will ever see it.

The skiff was one of the things that so ruined me on this scene in the movie. I wanted this very badly, and when i couldnt find it...it really broke me on everything ROTJ realated. Though if they would bring this item back or even yet make it better because yes, those figures are packed on there... it looks a little to tight and no room for new addtions that may come down the pike over the years.

bigbarada
09-06-2007, 07:39 PM
The skiff was one of the things that so ruined me on this scene in the movie. I wanted this very badly, and when i couldnt find it...it really broke me on everything ROTJ realated. Though if they would bring this item back or even yet make it better because yes, those figures are packed on there... it looks a little to tight and no room for new addtions that may come down the pike over the years.

I would still ideally like to have all of the Skiff Guards made, no matter how unrealistic you think that is. Collectors would never be able to fit all of them on the Skiff toy, but at least they could choose which ones the wanted and which ones to leave out.

But there is still plenty of space for new arrivals, out of the 7 guards on the second skiff, only two have been made in the modern line (Barada, Pote Snitkin), so Hasbro could make 2 or 3 more before the vehicle begins to get too crowded. Of the 5 guards on the prisoner skiff, Hasbro has made only one (Weequay), so 1 or 2 more are truly necessary.

Sinscia Fat'o
09-09-2007, 03:22 PM
I would still ideally like to have all of the Skiff Guards made, no matter how unrealistic you think that is. Collectors would never be able to fit all of them on the Skiff toy, but at least they could choose which ones the wanted and which ones to leave out.

I wasn't cuttin on your skiff guards dude :) i was just commenting on the fact that the skiff is to small and very very hard to find, and that vechile being hard to find is what ruined me on this scene in the movie, when i heard they where going to bring it out i was very happy...but when none of them even came to the Ronoake VA area (At least on my 4-5 trips i made to find it) i got very jaded on that scene and figures for that scene. (Sounds very self centered i know.) I dont think these figures are unrealistic i just think they're better options to be made first, i think 1-2, or even 2-3 of these guys a year isnt a bad thing, i just dont think a wave made of these figures would go over real well. (And i dont think the basic humans would go over real well either, but thats neither here nor there.) Though i never attended to rag on your choices of figures.

bigbarada
09-12-2007, 06:59 PM
I wasn't cuttin on your skiff guards dude :) i was just commenting on the fact that the skiff is to small and very very hard to find, and that vechile being hard to find is what ruined me on this scene in the movie, when i heard they where going to bring it out i was very happy...but when none of them even came to the Ronoake VA area (At least on my 4-5 trips i made to find it) i got very jaded on that scene and figures for that scene. (Sounds very self centered i know.) I dont think these figures are unrealistic i just think they're better options to be made first, i think 1-2, or even 2-3 of these guys a year isnt a bad thing, i just dont think a wave made of these figures would go over real well. (And i dont think the basic humans would go over real well either, but thats neither here nor there.) Though i never attended to rag on your choices of figures.

It's all good, and I understand where you are coming from. If Hasbro totally screws up an attempt at a Kithaba figure, it will probably severely hamper my interest in recreating this scene.

bigbarada
08-13-2009, 12:56 AM
Well, I decided to get off my butt and finally get around to piecing together the website for SkiffGuards.com. I've already got the domain name registered, I just haven't set up the web-hosting account yet. For right now, this prototype site is piggybacking off of Matt's website:
http://www.matt-hughes.com/workingsite/skiffguards.com/index.html

I intend to have a full page devoted to each Skiff Guard, with screen shots from the movie and whatever other images I can scrape together.

Of course, just the thought of trying to break down a frame by frame analysis of the Sail Barge has got me exhausted; but I do plan to get to that eventually.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. :)

Droid
08-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Very, very cool!

This is probably a GREAT way to create some buzz for getting the figures made.

How about a "HASBRO you have work to do" section where you have a picture of every skiff occupant, including, Luke, Boba, etc., and you put an X through the ones Hasbro has made. Maybe you could fit a reference to your site into a future Q&A question so Hasbro could see it (if Steve wouldn't mind referencing another site). Then if the question got asked to Hasbro everyone from the other sites would see it when the questions were rounded up!

I really feel like our site has created a bit of the buzz on Taym Dren-Garen, the guard who shot Luke. I have been carrying on for years on this site, and nominating him in every poll, saying, "HE SHOT LUKE! Of all the figures we have, this guy SHOT LUKE." Now I feel it is really starting to get some traction when I look at some of the other site's polls for Hasbro. I'd really like a human Jabba guard as there were so many in the palace/Sarlaac sequences. I'd probably by ten or so, maybe customizing a bit.

So good luck! Our skiffs are looking pretty thin. And whether these guys are obscure or not, they are mostly aliens and they are ALL ACTION figures, who fought the heroes in an exciting sequence that Hasbro has made a vehicle upon which the fight occurs!

I do think that you have a decent shot at Doallyn, Weequay Skiff Master (unidentified), Klatooinian Guard (Kithaba), Human Guard (Velken Tezeri), and Red Nikto Skiff Driver (Vedain). The others are going to be really, really tough. It's rough trying to get Hasbro to make a human figure with no name! Doallyn, unidentified Weequay Skiff Master, and Kithaba are the best bets.

TeeEye7
08-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Nicely done, BigB! :thumbsup:

I look forward to the completion of the sail barge!

Qui-Long Gone
08-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. :)

I WOULD BUY EVERY SKIFF FIGURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good work!

You know, this is a great case for Luke's bada$$ery! He basically took out every one of these people (with limited help from Lando, Chewie, and Han's lucky staff) then went Beserker on the Sail Barge ramming his saber into every unlucky fool to get within arm's reach! LUKE IS THE MAN!

Darth Jax
08-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Nicely done.

i always assumed it was the second skiff that han, et al used for their escape since the first was damaged by the deck gun.

DarthQuack
08-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Awesome page BB! Really liked seeing each and everyone with names too.

bigbarada
08-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Very, very cool!

This is probably a GREAT way to create some buzz for getting the figures made.

How about a "HASBRO you have work to do" section where you have a picture of every skiff occupant, including, Luke, Boba, etc., and you put an X through the ones Hasbro has made. Maybe you could fit a reference to your site into a future Q&A question so Hasbro could see it (if Steve wouldn't mind referencing another site). Then if the question got asked to Hasbro everyone from the other sites would see it when the questions were rounded up!

I really feel like our site has created a bit of the buzz on Taym Dren-Garen, the guard who shot Luke. I have been carrying on for years on this site, and nominating him in every poll, saying, "HE SHOT LUKE! Of all the figures we have, this guy SHOT LUKE." Now I feel it is really starting to get some traction when I look at some of the other site's polls for Hasbro. I'd really like a human Jabba guard as there were so many in the palace/Sarlaac sequences. I'd probably by ten or so, maybe customizing a bit.

So good luck! Our skiffs are looking pretty thin. And whether these guys are obscure or not, they are mostly aliens and they are ALL ACTION figures, who fought the heroes in an exciting sequence that Hasbro has made a vehicle upon which the fight occurs!

I do think that you have a decent shot at Doallyn, Weequay Skiff Master (unidentified), Klatooinian Guard (Kithaba), Human Guard (Velken Tezeri), and Red Nikto Skiff Driver (Vedain). The others are going to be really, really tough. It's rough trying to get Hasbro to make a human figure with no name! Doallyn, unidentified Weequay Skiff Master, and Kithaba are the best bets.

Thanks! I was actually just thinking of creating an "Action Figure Checklist" page where there would a chart listing who had been made and when they were released. I think collectors would be very surprised at just how few of these guys have been made in action figure form. Of the 13 Skiff Guards, we had three in the vintage line (Weequay, Nikto, Barada), 3 in the POTF2 line (Weequay, Barada, Pote Snitkin), and there hasn't been a single new sculpt of a Skiff Guard in what's going on 11 years now.

Also I would hope that no one gets the impression that I'm setting this site up as a competitor to SSG. That's not my intention at all. It's merely here to provide information on a glaring hole in Hasbro's Star Wars action figure line.

I'm also paying for this site out of my own pocket, which should show you how intent I am about getting these guys made in action figure form. I started this thread in 2002 and not a single Skiff Guard has been made since then, so it's clearly time to start getting a little more serious.

Nicely done, BigB! :thumbsup:

I look forward to the completion of the sail barge!

Thank you! The Sail Barge is going to be a tough one, mainly because of how the occupants break down. I think I'm going to have to put them in categories of Heroes, Guards, Villains (Jabba), and Non-Combatant Passengers (Yak Face, Ree-Yees, Max Rebo, etc).

I WOULD BUY EVERY SKIFF FIGURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good work!

You know, this is a great case for Luke's bada$$ery! He basically took out every one of these people (with limited help from Lando, Chewie, and Han's lucky staff) then went Beserker on the Sail Barge ramming his saber into every unlucky fool to get within arm's reach! LUKE IS THE MAN!

Yep, Luke is awesome! Only I'm a little worried that playing up Luke so much might actually hurt my case on why these Skiff Guards need to be made. But it is hard to argue that he sliced through them all like a hot knife through butter.

Nicely done.

i always assumed it was the second skiff that han, et al used for their escape since the first was damaged by the deck gun.

I had never really thought of it, but at the end of the battle there is no indication that Han, Lando and Chewie switch Skiffs. Also, you can see the deck rail damage when Luke and Leia are swinging on board.

Awesome page BB! Really liked seeing each and everyone with names too.

Thanks! I think it's better to have them all on one page for easy reference. If you go through Wookiepedia, then you have to know who you are looking for ahead of time. Which makes it tough to find names or images of the more obscure guards.

Anyways, I'm off to grab some more screen shots, thanks for all the feedback! :thumbsup:

Devo
08-13-2009, 09:13 PM
So when you say 'Skiff guards' are you literally only referring to the guards who were on the small desert skiffs? I've been using the term more generally to describe any character from either Palace, Sailbarge or Skiff who is a guard and not merely a 'denizen' or passenger.

Top of my list at the moment is Nizuc Bek because he was seen both in the palace and on the sailbarge. Thats a nice bonus to be able to get a character who appeared in more than one location and therefore you can bring 2 dioramas closer to completion with just one new character. Taym Dren Garen, Fozec and Velken Tezeri are the other human guards who you'd imagine Hasbro would be less eager to make because they aren't aliens - so I think we should push for them in fans choice polls and I'm glad to see people here are.

Any jabbas palace denizen and Skiff guard though is a guaranteed purchase for me. Can't wait for Giran and Nysad.

Qui-Long Gone
08-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Yep, Luke is awesome! Only I'm a little worried that playing up Luke so much might actually hurt my case on why these Skiff Guards need to be made. But it is hard to argue that he sliced through them all like a hot knife through butter.

No, I think that would be stronger case for making them...hey kids, need thugs for Luke to destroy? This gives an incentive to get a ROTJ Luke figure made RIGHT and to give him cannon fodder for awesome backyard/sandbox playtime.

It's really a win/win: kids get action figures with action...we get kick @$$ figures for our collections!

This probably gets overshadowed by his duel with Vader and the Emperor, but a case can be made based on his skiff/sail barge rampage!

bigbarada
08-13-2009, 10:48 PM
So when you say 'Skiff guards' are you literally only referring to the guards who were on the small desert skiffs? I've been using the term more generally to describe any character from either Palace, Sailbarge or Skiff who is a guard and not merely a 'denizen' or passenger.

Top of my list at the moment is Nizuc Bek because he was seen both in the palace and on the sailbarge. Thats a nice bonus to be able to get a character who appeared in more than one location and therefore you can bring 2 dioramas closer to completion with just one new character. Taym Dren Garen, Fozec and Velken Tezeri are the other human guards who you'd imagine Hasbro would be less eager to make because they aren't aliens - so I think we should push for them in fans choice polls and I'm glad to see people here are.

Any jabbas palace denizen and Skiff guard though is a guaranteed purchase for me. Can't wait for Giran and Nysad.

For now, my focus is on the two skiffs, but I will eventually expand that to encompass the Sail Barge as well. Jabba's Palace maybe at some point in the future.

While I would buy all the human guards, I feel that the alien guards are an easier sell for Hasbro. Right now the biggest problem is that many of the guards are constantly mistaken for one another (Kithaba and Barada being one of the prime examples).

No, I think that would be stronger case for making them...hey kids, need thugs for Luke to destroy? This gives an incentive to get a ROTJ Luke figure made RIGHT and to give him cannon fodder for awesome backyard/sandbox playtime.

It's really a win/win: kids get action figures with action...we get kick @$$ figures for our collections!

This probably gets overshadowed by his duel with Vader and the Emperor, but a case can be made based on his skiff/sail barge rampage!

True, most people forget that the Sarlacc Pit battle was one of Luke's big turning points where he finally left his whiny-kid nature, from the previous two films, behind. That's got to count for something.

Anyways, right now I'm just waiting on the DNS, then I'll upload the site to my hosting account. Hopefully, if everything goes smoothly, the site will be live by this time tomorrow.

bigbarada
08-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Well, it didn't take nearly as long as I thought to get the DNS set up, so the sight is live right now:
http://www.skiffguards.com/index.html

My very first Star Wars themed website, I'm so proud!:thumbsup:

Anyways, I've added some extra screenshots to the Skiff pages, plus Kithaba's page is up and running as well:
http://www.skiffguards.com/kithaba.html

I'll continue adding content over the weekend.

Old Fossil
08-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Very nice site, bigbarada.:thumbsup:

pbarnard
08-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Awesome ness. You've helped me reset a shelf dio I have.

Droid
08-14-2009, 09:10 AM
The Sail Barge is going to be a tough one, mainly because of how the occupants break down. I think I'm going to have to put them in categories of Heroes, Guards, Villains (Jabba), and Non-Combatant Passengers (Yak Face, Ree-Yees, Max Rebo, etc).

Maybe you could start with those individuals seen on the deck of the sail barge. Then the folks that stuck their heads out the window to shoot at the heroes or stop Luke's climb. I'd save the inside people for last because that will be as hard as Jabba's Palace. Lots of group shots with characters that are hard to see.

Though I'd like a Sail Barge, your web site really got me thinking that I wish they'd at least make a shell of a sail barge, with no inside to play with at all. They could have at least one side of the outside (that Luke climbs) and then have the deck. I'd be fine with a hollow shell that was even missing the back half. You could set up a pretty good diorama with two skiffs, the Sarlaac, and the side of the Sail Barge actually shown during the battle.

But I still think the current skiff is awful. If they won't do a sail barge I wish they'd make a sturdier and slightly bigger skiff.

El Chuxter
08-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Since no one else has specifically mentioned it, you've done some excellent PhotoShop work there, especially with the color highlight on the Kithaba page and the highlighting buttons on the main page.

bigbarada
08-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Very nice site, bigbarada.:thumbsup:

Awesome ness. You've helped me reset a shelf dio I have.

Thanks guys and I'm glad the site is already proving useful! :thumbsup: I'll keep adding stuff throughout the weekend and I hope to have separate pages for the 13 Skiff Guards created by Monday. I just uploaded Barada's page and I started on Pote Snitkin's page before lunch.

I've decided that this site will only focus on who is actually visible in the movie. So if we can't see them on the screen, then they're not there. I don't want to get bogged down with a million EU side stories about characters who are "just off screen." Cataloging all the creatures that actually show up on screen is going to be challenging enough.

Maybe you could start with those individuals seen on the deck of the sail barge. Then the folks that stuck their heads out the window to shoot at the heroes or stop Luke's climb. I'd save the inside people for last because that will be as hard as Jabba's Palace. Lots of group shots with characters that are hard to see.

Though I'd like a Sail Barge, your web site really got me thinking that I wish they'd at least make a shell of a sail barge, with no inside to play with at all. They could have at least one side of the outside (that Luke climbs) and then have the deck. I'd be fine with a hollow shell that was even missing the back half. You could set up a pretty good diorama with two skiffs, the Sarlaac, and the side of the Sail Barge actually shown during the battle.

But I still think the current skiff is awful. If they won't do a sail barge I wish they'd make a sturdier and slightly bigger skiff.

Yes, starting with the combatants seems to be the best option, then we can work down through the heroes and other passengers.

While the idea of a half-Barge would be cool, I'm pretty sure I know what Hasbro's answer for that would be. I just wish they would license out to another company the rights to make large, Star Wars dioramas that just happen to be in scale to the 3 3/4" action figure line.

I agree about the current Skiff toy. It's too small and the play features seriously distract from it's usefullness as a diorama piece. However, my strategy is to wait until Hasbro gets 5 or 6 of the 13 Skiff Guards made before we start petitioning them for a new, larger Skiff toy.

bigbarada
08-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Since no one else has specifically mentioned it, you've done some excellent PhotoShop work there, especially with the color highlight on the Kithaba page and the highlighting buttons on the main page.

Thanks! I didn't want to crop the large screenshots because it's easier to find the characters onscreen if you know who they are standing next to. So a quick Hue/Saturation layer mask was the easiest way to focus on a single guard without destroying the context of the shot.

The highlighting of the vehicles on the homepage is just created with rollover images. I wanted something simple, straightforward and intuitive; so that seemed to work pretty well.

This entire scene from the Bantha herd to the explosion of the Sail Barge is over 10,000 frames, so I've still got a ton of stuff to go through.

El Chuxter
08-14-2009, 01:23 PM
You can try to be humble, and I know it's not technically difficult to do it in PhotoShop (provided you know what you're doing). But to do it properly, this is incredibly time-consuming. Unless you have superhuman speed, I can tell you put in quite a bit of effort, especially on the Kithaba pic.

bigbarada
08-14-2009, 02:39 PM
You can try to be humble, and I know it's not technically difficult to do it in PhotoShop (provided you know what you're doing). But to do it properly, this is incredibly time-consuming. Unless you have superhuman speed, I can tell you put in quite a bit of effort, especially on the Kithaba pic.

Well, it does take a bit of time and I'm questioning the logic of doing this for every single Skiff Guard in the battle scene; but heck, it's not like I've got anything important to do. :D

Anyways, I've uploaded Barada's and Pote Snitkin's pages and am currently working on gathering screen shots for Vedain and Velken Tezeri.

Barada:
http://www.skiffguards.com/barada.html

Pote Snitkin:
http://www.skiffguards.com/pote_snitkin.html

bigbarada
08-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Vedain and Velken Tezeri pages are up! I actually discovered a fairly major continuity error when going through the footage and that's explained on Velken Tezeri's page.

Vedain:
http://www.skiffguards.com/vedain.html

Velken Tezeri:
http://www.skiffguards.com/velken_tezeri.html

Devo
08-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Excellent work on those pages - that'll be a useful resource for collectors and hopefully Hasbro.

Its a minor dissappointment that Hasbro's latest 'skiff guards' are actually not from either Skiff (one of them isn't even from the barge) although I most certainly will still happily take them. Whats also unfortunate is that of the skiff guards we do have, we're talking about outdated figures so it they get remade before new guards it will seem slightly less satisfying - we'll still only have the same number of guards we've had since the nineties...alternatively if new guards get made first it will show up how outdated the old figures are and be frustrating in that way. But, we'll take them.

I'm confused about Nysad from the sailbarge though, does he ever use that rail-mounted cannon? I thought the guy who uses that is one of the figures we got back in 1998 in the cinema scene pack and who Luke cuts down immediatley upon getting onto the sailbarge deck.

And BigBarada you're right about the confusion surrounding these guys - even I have a hard time telling the niktos and klaatus apart.

A final question. When, if at all, did the vintage Nikto in the blue outfit appear in the film?

bigbarada
08-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Excellent work on those pages - that'll be a useful resource for collectors and hopefully Hasbro.

Its a minor dissappointment that Hasbro's latest 'skiff guards' are actually not from either Skiff (one of them isn't even from the barge) although I most certainly will still happily take them. Whats also unfortunate is that of the skiff guards we do have, we're talking about outdated figures so it they get remade before new guards it will seem slightly less satisfying - we'll still only have the same number of guards we've had since the nineties...alternatively if new guards get made first it will show up how outdated the old figures are and be frustrating in that way. But, we'll take them.

I'm confused about Nysad from the sailbarge though, does he ever use that rail-mounted cannon? I thought the guy who uses that is one of the figures we got back in 1998 in the cinema scene pack and who Luke cuts down immediatley upon getting onto the sailbarge deck.

And BigBarada you're right about the confusion surrounding these guys - even I have a hard time telling the niktos and klaatus apart.

A final question. When, if at all, did the vintage Nikto in the blue outfit appear in the film?

Thanks! I think the biggest frustration is that the confusion leads many fans to believe that the Skiff Guards from the Sarlacc Pit battle are pretty well covered in action figure form, when the exact opposite is true.

And Hasbro needs to understand that the guards aren't interchangeable any more than the Jedi Council members are interchangeable. No Prequel fan would accept Agen Kolar or Stass Alli in place of Eeth Koth or Adi Galia, so I think we should be similarly specific when asking for the Skiff Guards.

To answer your questions, Nysad never once touched a blaster cannon on the Sail Barge. He pops his head out of a hatch, confronts Luke and is knocked back down the same open hatch. The true Nikto gunner was included in the 1998 Skiff Guards Cinema Scene (Vizam).

The vintage Nikto figure is based on the unidentified Red Nikto Guard on the Second Skiff. He's never really the focus of any shots, so he's very easy to miss.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, you've actually given me the idea to create another page that breaks the Guards down by alien race. Between the Sail Barge and the Skiffs, there are 2 Klatooinians (Baradas), 4 Red Niktos, 3 Green Niktos (Klaatus), 3 Weequays, 1 Skrilling, at least 7 humans, and one or two unknowns.

Devo
08-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Thats right, I just checked your pics again, I never noticed the ''vintage Nikto" in the film before. I thought maybe he was the Bane Malar of the original toy line. Seems like back in the day they were going for representative guards from each 'location' - the skiffs, the sailbarge and the palace - rather than having an intention of doing them all. Hopefully they'll be more thorough this time around. One of their recent answers in the Q&A gives reason for hope though -

"Rebelscum: Now that Hasbro has sculpted an Ugnaught that seems to be based on him, have you thought about releasing a Yoxgit figure any time soon? The costume you've sculpted matches his pretty closely and you've even put an altered photo of Yoxgit on the front of the package! All you need to do is repaint the suit red, gloves black and use the tusked head and you have a perfect Yoxgit. Perhaps because of saved tooling costs, you could include another small Jabba's palace denizen (such as Attark, Wam Lufba or the fan-waving Jawa) to get us closer to completing the palace scene!
Hasbro: Well, we Star Wars collectors certainly are a patient lot. We waited 25 years for Yarna, and there are still so many other cool Jabba's palace denizens (and skiff/barge guards) to go. We promise that we won't take our eyes off this area, with new or upgraded figures in the lineup every year.

We can't promise you a timeframe, but Yoxgit can indeed be used as you suggest than it does make his likelihood of making it closer to realtity. We'll look into for when we have an opportunity and need a repaint. Thanks for the suggestion."

So it'll be pretty exciting to see who they make next. And notice they said "every year" - that bodes well if they stick to it.

Droid
08-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Your thread inspired me to set up a skiff battle diorama tonight.

I have the prisoner skiff with Luke, Han, Chewie, Lando, Nikto (cinema scene), Barada (cinema scene), and two of the same Weequay. It isn't accurate, but it looks OK. I'd rather put Barada on the other skiff and have a Kithaba and second unique Weequay for the prisoner skiff - that is a must. On the prisoner skiff it would be hard to put a human guard on there. It's pretty full.

The second skiff is deserted. I inaccurately have Klaatu (cinema scnene), Boba Fett, and Pote Snitkin. They really need a couple more folks for this skiff.

The prisoner skiff is elevated above the Sarlaac by sitting it on a brown box next to the Sarlaac that is about the Sarlaac's height.

Setting this up really makes me realize the skiffs are terrible. The guard rail keeps popping down and everyone keeps falling down. The pegs aren't tall enough to fit in a figures foot hole so they are useless. There isn't enough room, the skiff is flimsy, and the figures want to fall. Pote has to be wedged behind the controls. The plank isn't long enough either.

I bet I take the scene down tomorrow because every time I walk by the characters fall over.

New bigger skiff with hard plastic and working foot pegs please, Hasbro!

bigbarada
08-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Thats right, I just checked your pics again, I never noticed the ''vintage Nikto" in the film before. I thought maybe he was the Bane Malar of the original toy line. Seems like back in the day they were going for representative guards from each 'location' - the skiffs, the sailbarge and the palace - rather than having an intention of doing them all. Hopefully they'll be more thorough this time around. One of their recent answers in the Q&A gives reason for hope though -

"Rebelscum: Now that Hasbro has sculpted an Ugnaught that seems to be based on him, have you thought about releasing a Yoxgit figure any time soon? The costume you've sculpted matches his pretty closely and you've even put an altered photo of Yoxgit on the front of the package! All you need to do is repaint the suit red, gloves black and use the tusked head and you have a perfect Yoxgit. Perhaps because of saved tooling costs, you could include another small Jabba's palace denizen (such as Attark, Wam Lufba or the fan-waving Jawa) to get us closer to completing the palace scene!
Hasbro: Well, we Star Wars collectors certainly are a patient lot. We waited 25 years for Yarna, and there are still so many other cool Jabba's palace denizens (and skiff/barge guards) to go. We promise that we won't take our eyes off this area, with new or upgraded figures in the lineup every year.

We can't promise you a timeframe, but Yoxgit can indeed be used as you suggest than it does make his likelihood of making it closer to realtity. We'll look into for when we have an opportunity and need a repaint. Thanks for the suggestion."

So it'll be pretty exciting to see who they make next. And notice they said "every year" - that bodes well if they stick to it.

I got the Vintage Nikto's page done and uploaded:
http://www.skiffguards.com/red-nikto.html

He's the only guard with a "blooper" and you can watch him either tripping or getting pushed down by the guard behind him. There are also several other of the Second Skiff Guards with pages uploaded now. There wasn't much to go on with most of them, so putting the pages together went pretty quick.

If you're getting "run time errors" let me know, because it might mean that I have to get rid of this cheapo GoDaddy web-hosting and use a more stable server.

That answer from Hasbro is pretty encouraging.:thumbsup:

Your thread inspired me to set up a skiff battle diorama tonight.

I have the prisoner skiff with Luke, Han, Chewie, Lando, Nikto (cinema scene), Barada (cinema scene), and two of the same Weequay. It isn't accurate, but it looks OK. I'd rather put Barada on the other skiff and have a Kithaba and second unique Weequay for the prisoner skiff - that is a must. On the prisoner skiff it would be hard to put a human guard on there. It's pretty full.

The second skiff is deserted. I inaccurately have Klaatu (cinema scnene), Boba Fett, and Pote Snitkin. They really need a couple more folks for this skiff.

The prisoner skiff is elevated above the Sarlaac by sitting it on a brown box next to the Sarlaac that is about the Sarlaac's height.

Setting this up really makes me realize the skiffs are terrible. The guard rail keeps popping down and everyone keeps falling down. The pegs aren't tall enough to fit in a figures foot hole so they are useless. There isn't enough room, the skiff is flimsy, and the figures want to fall. Pote has to be wedged behind the controls. The plank isn't long enough either.

I bet I take the scene down tomorrow because every time I walk by the characters fall over.

New bigger skiff with hard plastic and working foot pegs please, Hasbro!

Yeah, the Skiff is pretty terrible and really needs to be remade or at the very least retooled to get rid of the silly action gimmicks and get some functional foot pegs on it. It also definitely needs a new gangplank.

Again, though, without several guards to populate it, I don't see questions about a larger Skiff getting much traction with Hasbro.

Devo
08-14-2009, 09:52 PM
I pretty much would like to see all the guards from the Skiffs made regardless of whether they'll all fit on the toy. I could say I'll be realistic and realise they'll only make the most distinctive ones but I know the completist in me will yearn for them to make even the most fleetingly seen human guard.

bigbarada
08-14-2009, 10:54 PM
I pretty much would like to see all the guards from the Skiffs made regardless of whether they'll all fit on the toy. I could say I'll be realistic and realise they'll only make the most distinctive ones but I know the completist in me will yearn for them to make even the most fleetingly seen human guard.

Yeah, I would love to see them all made eventually, but there are some that I want more than others. For me, aliens always take priority, so I wouldn't mind if they saved some of the more obscure human guards for last.

Also, speaking of "fleetingly seen" I've uploaded the page for the Skiff Guard Gailid:
http://www.skiffguards.com/gailid.html

Devo
08-15-2009, 09:45 AM
I really think they should release alien and human guards in a mixed manner. The reason is I can't see them doing the human guards at all if they were to leave them till last. Apart from Taym dren garen who seems to have a lot of support here and is the most commonly seen name of the human guards on other sites. I can see him being made for sure and possibly Fozec from the palace. But the human mercenaries on the skiffs will be harder to persuade Hasbro of if it came down to them being the last, everyone else having already been made.

Droid
08-15-2009, 11:19 AM
I really think they should release alien and human guards in a mixed manner. The reason is I can't see them doing the human guards at all if they were to leave them till last. Apart from Taym dren garen who seems to have a lot of support here and is the most commonly seen name of the human guards on other sites. I can see him being made for sure and possibly Fozec from the palace. But the human mercenaries on the skiffs will be harder to persuade Hasbro of if it came down to them being the last, everyone else having already been made.

I feel the same way about the humans in the cantina. I would like them to throw in a Garouf Lafoe, Yerka Mig, or Rycar Ryjerd once in a while because if all the aliens are done I can't see them starting on the humans.

Devo
08-15-2009, 12:24 PM
I feel the same way about the humans in the cantina. I would like them to throw in a Garouf Lafoe, Yerka Mig, or Rycar Ryjerd once in a while because if all the aliens are done I can't see them starting on the humans.

Good point. Particularly Rycar Ryjerd, hes visible in quite a lot of shots talking to one of the Saurin. I'm also hoping for his supposed son from jabbas palace! So the same would apply there, maybe one palace alien and one palace human.

bigbarada
08-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Well, I got the pages created for all 13 Skiff Guards, now I just need to start gathering screenshots for the Sail Barge Guards and passengers.

I think the Skiff/Barge Guards are somewhat in a different category from the Cantina Aliens or the Jabba's Palace aliens. Mainly because their existence is not just to create a mood, but they also provide direct confrontation with the main heroes. Thus they are an easier sell for action figures, which is primarily a boy's toy line. The focus being on action and battles.

However, with that said, as I was going through these screenshots, I noticed that there are a few Skiff Guards that wouldn't rank really high on my list of most-wanted action figures. While I would ideally like them all, I'm enough of a realist to know that the chances of all 13 of them getting made into action figures are pretty slim.

So, for me, the 5 guards on the Prisoner Skiff would be top priority, then the alien guards on the Second Skiff, then Sgt. Doallyn, then the remaining 3 human guards from the 2nd Skiff coming in last (with Gailid being the absolute last on my list).

bigbarada
08-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Well, I've been going through the footage and, as far as guards who directly confront our heroes on the deck of the Sail Barge, I only count 9:

1. Vizam - Nikto Gunner
2. Wooof - vintage Klaatu
3. Gamorrean Guard (only one is visible)
4. Yotts Oren - vintage Klaatu Skiff
5. Nysad - Nikto Guard
6. Weequay Guard - the one who pops out of a window, but is later visible on the deck of the Sail Barge
7. Human Guard - blueish white outfit
8. Human Gunner - replaces Vizam and taken out (offscreen) by Leia.
9. Taym Dren-garen

Then there is, of course, Boba Fett, Luke, Leia, R2 and C-3PO.

There's footage of Wooof and the Gamorrean running across the Sail Barge to the giant cannon (the one that Leia eventually uses to destroy the Barge), but it is looped at least three times and gives the impression that more guards are present.

It's the inside of the Barge that's going to be tough, but I did spot Bossk for the first time ever inside the Sail Barge. Along with a Saurin, Yoxgit and that Snaggletooth alien (I forget what his name is).

Droid
08-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Well, I've been going through the footage and, as far as guards who directly confront our heroes on the deck of the Sail Barge, I only count 9:

1. Vizam - Nikto Gunner
2. Wooof - vintage Klaatu
3. Gamorrean Guard (only one is visible)
4. Yotts Oren - vintage Klaatu Skiff
5. Nysad - Nikto Guard
6. Weequay Guard - the one who pops out of a window, but is later visible on the deck of the Sail Barge
7. Human Guard - blueish white outfit
8. Human Gunner - replaces Vizam and taken out (offscreen) by Leia.
9. Taym Dren-garen

Then there is, of course, Boba Fett, Luke, Leia, R2 and C-3PO.

There's footage of Wooof and the Gamorrean running across the Sail Barge to the giant cannon (the one that Leia eventually uses to destroy the Barge), but it is looped at least three times and gives the impression that more guards are present.

It's the inside of the Barge that's going to be tough, but I did spot Bossk for the first time ever inside the Sail Barge. Along with a Saurin, Yoxgit and that Snaggletooth alien (I forget what his name is).

I've never been able to spot Bossk. Can't wait for the screen cap!

bigbarada
08-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I've never been able to spot Bossk. Can't wait for the screen cap!

Well, don't get your hopes up, it's not a great shot of Bossk. If nothing else, just proof that he was actually in there. In the attachment below, you see Bib Fortuna on the far right, then Threepio, then Bossk right next to them.

I had to crop this screencap down to fit into the attachment limitations of this site; but don't worry, I would never crop Slave Girl Leia out of any shot she appears in.:love:

Devo
08-15-2009, 04:36 PM
I had to crop this screencap down to fit into the attachment limitations of this site; but don't worry, I would never crop Slave Girl Leia out of any shot she appears in.:love:

Good call. And thats one of my favourite shots of Slave Leia - easily known why no one ever noticed Bossk standing there too!

I think the Skiff/Barge Guards are somewhat in a different category from the Cantina Aliens or the Jabba's Palace aliens. Mainly because their existence is not just to create a mood, but they also provide direct confrontation with the main heroes. Thus they are an easier sell for action figures.

All the more confusing as to why Hasbro are more likely to make a cantina or palace denizen than one of the skiff guards. Not that I'm begrudging characters from those scenes at all.

bigbarada
08-15-2009, 04:44 PM
I had to seriously mess with Photoshop levels adjustments just to make him visible in that shot. He's really nothing more than a black silhouette in front of a dark background in the movie. He shows up elsewhere, but it's a hand here, the top of his head there and stuff like that. Not easy to see at all.

We see him cavorting alongside Ree-Yees, Squidhead and Ishi Tibb, but I just wonder how cool it would have been if he had actually taken part in the battle on the Sail Barge deck.

Qui-Long Gone
08-15-2009, 04:54 PM
BigB, I've changed my top 30 figures in support of your quest for skiff guards! :thumbsup:

bigbarada
08-15-2009, 05:26 PM
BigB, I've changed my top 30 figures in support of your quest for skiff guards! :thumbsup:

Did I mention that you're my new favorite forum member? :thumbsup:

I'm trying to spread the word about this website, I'm hoping that it will create some buzz and hopefully a renewed interest among fans for these characters. After 7 years of just saying "Please Hasbro, make these..." I think it's time to be a little more pro-active.

And I really do think the Skiff Guards would do well if released at the rate of 2 or 3 per year. This way there is plenty of space in the line for everything else and the entire line up of 22 Skiff and Sail Barge Guards would be close to completion by the time the license expires in 2018.

Droid
08-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Wow! There's Bossk! Thanks!

TeeEye7
08-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Somehow, I can't imagine Bossk "cavorting". ;)

Yeah, I know, I'm your LEAST FAVORITE forum member now, BigB....

bigbarada
08-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Somehow, I can't imagine Bossk "cavorting". ;)

Yeah, I know, I'm your LEAST FAVORITE forum member now, BigB....

:D You'll always be one of my favorite forum members... at least in my top 5... at worst, top 20. :p

But, yes, even though I hate to admit it, Bossk really was bouncing around like an idiot. Must have been too much of whatever passes for alcohol in the Star Wars universe. Well, fortunately for him, the Barge exploded, killing everyone inside in a fiery holocaust; so he didn't have to worry about any 'morning-after' regrets. ;)

Anyways, I've got the main Sail Barge page up and running. I'll start working on getting the individual guard pages created soon. If anyone happens to know the identities of the two unnamed human guards, please speak up:
http://www.skiffguards.com/sailbarge.html

And if you get an error message, then please wait a few minutes and try again. I'm going to see about getting a better hosting service next week. That free GoDaddy hosting is just terrible.

bigbarada
08-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Adding more content, including Taym Dren-garen's page:
http://www.skiffguards.com/taym-dren-garen.html

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2009, 03:29 PM
We see him cavorting alongside Ree-Yees, Squidhead and Ishi Tibb, but I just wonder how cool it would have been if he had actually taken part in the battle on the Sail Barge deck.
Did you see Boba Fett's performance? Be careful what you wish for . . . Hopefully Bossk will get the chance to be a badass in The Clone Wars.

Awesome work from what I've seen, but yeah, I keep getting runtime errors.

Qui-Long Gone
08-16-2009, 03:50 PM
So how did Bossk die? Did he get trampled in the confusion or stuck under Jabba's tail after Leia choked the begeebies out of the Hutt?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2009, 08:42 PM
If you look at the EU, he lived on . . . I'd have to think that suit of his was, at least, flame-retardant. :D

Qui-Long Gone
08-16-2009, 09:02 PM
^and that is why I hate EU and what Lucas did with much of the PT...toss out cannon for the sake of goofy...well, I don't know what, but goofy something....I love the thought of a nasty bountyhunter named Boba rotting in a creepy sand monster, poetic justice....I like the thought that Bossk fried...people die, let them lay.

El Chuxter
08-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Someone in the Lucasfilm Department of Daftness (AKA the people who keep the EU straight or pretend to do so while smoking crack) should've been able to easily just say, "Hey, look, Bossk is on the sail barge. He's dead." According to EU, he was never there, but he clearly was. And there's not even an explanation that he had a twin brother or anything.

I can dig the EU, but sometimes it's really painfully obvious they slap the Star Wars name on any story because they know it will sell.

Qui-Long Gone
08-16-2009, 09:24 PM
^Let me retract that I said I hate EU....your comment is what I hate about some EU stories: slapping SW name on crap....of course Lucas has been guilty of that too....:rolleyes:

So bountyhunters never die, but Wookies get blowed up and stay dead....

El Chuxter
08-16-2009, 09:31 PM
I don't want to go too far off topic, but Chewie's death was one of the few truly moving moments in the EU. Unfortunately, Lucas deciding that there couldn't be any stories about the second Anakin since people might get confused (he apparently thinks everyone's a moron and no one would notice that his last name was Solo) and killing him off for no real reason a year or so later totally undermined Chewie's sacrifice.

What I really loathe is that every single background character in the OT is a Rebel agent with part of the Death Star plans, an Imperial spy, a bounty hunter, a Jedi in hiding, or some jacked up combination of the four. Some of these were just aliens who got off work, stopped for a brewsky, and happened to be there when the heroes showed up!

Qui-Long Gone
08-16-2009, 09:35 PM
^Which is why you should hang out in bars because you never know when you'll be part of making history!!!!!!!!!!!

I did think Chewie's death was moving too...like Spock's death...so I'm glad the walking carpet's death has been respected.

I think death/resurrection plots cheepen a character....that is all...

Now, back to the topic:MAKE SKIFF GUARDS HASBRO!

Devo
08-16-2009, 11:02 PM
So Wooof appeared on the sailbarge deck too. And Nysad can also be seen in the palace - thought I saw a distinctly Nysad-like head alright. Guess I'll be buying two of each of those.

What way do you go about your Jabbas palace/carkoon battle collection BigBarada, do you double up 'just in case' they make the sailbarge or just buy one of each for a general representation of jabba and his large entourage? For the most part I'm the latter although I do happen to have 2 of certain members of the court as a result of my brief spell of MOC collecting. Kinda wish I had two of everything for the 'just in case' scenario but its hard to play catchup from the financial point of view when new stuff keeps coming out.

Your site is an excellent idea and you're doing a fantastic job..you could even extend the scene analysis idea to other parts of the Star Wars universe. A cantina/streets of Mos Eisley version would be cool too.

bigbarada
08-17-2009, 01:58 AM
So Wooof appeared on the sailbarge deck too. And Nysad can also be seen in the palace - thought I saw a distinctly Nysad-like head alright. Guess I'll be buying two of each of those.

What way do you go about your Jabbas palace/carkoon battle collection BigBarada, do you double up 'just in case' they make the sailbarge or just buy one of each for a general representation of jabba and his large entourage? For the most part I'm the latter although I do happen to have 2 of certain members of the court as a result of my brief spell of MOC collecting. Kinda wish I had two of everything for the 'just in case' scenario but its hard to play catchup from the financial point of view when new stuff keeps coming out.

Your site is an excellent idea and you're doing a fantastic job..you could even extend the scene analysis idea to other parts of the Star Wars universe. A cantina/streets of Mos Eisley version would be cool too.

Once I get all the screenshots I need from the Skiff Battle, then I'll be working on getting screenshots of the Skiff/Barge Guards who also appear in Jabba's Palace. Getting video of high enough quality to produce decent screenshots is pretty taxing on my hard drive. So I can only store one scene at a time.

As for my diorama building, well my plan right now is to just focus on the Skiff battle. There are a few key elements of Jabba's Palace that would need to be remade to modern standards before I ever start planning a diorama of that. Hasbro just made an amazing new Rancor, now I'm waiting on a complete resculpt of the non-SE Rebo Band and, of course, an all-new Jabba with Dais. Once those are made, then I'll start thinking about populating a Palace dio. That might lead me to have to search out extras of some previously released figures, but I've been waiting so long for Skiff Guards that I'm likely to end up with multiples of them no matter what.

After I'm done with the Sail Barge Guards, then I'll work on sorting out all the passengers. Then I'll probably move on to Jabba's Palace at some point in the future. After that, who knows? If the site is doing well and I get bored again, then combing through Mos Eisley and the Cantina might be an interesting project as well; but we're talking a year or two down the road at the soonest.

However, I feel that the Cantina has been pretty well covered in books like the Star Wars Chronicles. So the real need right now is with Jabba's Guards, Thugs, and Courtiers.

Also, I need to get this web hosting issue sorted out, these runtime errors are driving me crazy.:mad:

Droid
08-17-2009, 09:17 AM
This is one of the best Star Wars web sites I have ever seen and I can't imagine a more thorough cantina resource:

http://cantinacustoms.tripod.com/index.htm

I'd love to see something for Jabba's Palace like what you're doing on the skiff guards, but the skiff guard site is really great and I can see it taking up a lot of time!

However, at some point, it would be really cool if for those skiff guards/combatants on the barge, you included a screen capture from the Palace that showed they were at both the Palace and at the Sarlaac. When you said, one of the Nikto was at the Palace I thought, "I've never spotted them there!"

bigbarada
08-17-2009, 10:33 AM
This is one of the best Star Wars web sites I have ever seen and I can't imagine a more thorough cantina resource:

http://cantinacustoms.tripod.com/index.htm

I'd love to see something for Jabba's Palace like what you're doing on the skiff guards, but the skiff guard site is really great and I can see it taking up a lot of time!

However, at some point, it would be really cool if for those skiff guards/combatants on the barge, you included a screen capture from the Palace that showed they were at both the Palace and at the Sarlaac. When you said, one of the Nikto was at the Palace I thought, "I've never spotted them there!"

I can't see doing a much more thorough job than that guy with the Cantina.

Well, I talked with GoDaddy customer support and I think we've resolved the "runtime error" problem. Turns out there was a conflict between my coding and the ads at the top of the page. So, I went ahead and upgraded to one of their economy hosting plans which gets rid of those annoying ads. So this site is now officially costing me money. Ah well, if nothing else, it just goes to show how serious I am about getting these guys made into figures. Anybody can just start an action figure campaign thread on a free forum, but it takes an extremely devoted fan to drop nearly $75 to create a website endorsing his most wanted SW action figures.;)

Anyways, I'll work on getting the rest of the Barge Guards pages created, then I'll start combing through Jabba's Palace to find screenshots of them in there.

bigbarada
08-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Okay, enough whining about web-hosting, I've uploaded three more Barge Guards:

Yotts Oren (vintage Klaatu Skiff):
http://www.skiffguards.com/yotts-oren.html

Unidentified Weequay:
http://www.skiffguards.com/weequay-guard.html

Unidentified Human Guard #2:
http://www.skiffguards.com/human-guard2.html

Qui-Long Gone
08-17-2009, 01:48 PM
^Let's name the the Fodder Brothers!!!!!!

Chump
Bump
and
Aim

bigbarada
08-17-2009, 03:39 PM
^Let's name the the Fodder Brothers!!!!!!

Chump
Bump
and
Aim

:D I was actually considering making up my own names and prefixing them with phrases like "some EU sources refer to this guard as..." or "sometimes referred to as...." and see how many of the names I could make stick.

Well, the main brunt of the work is done. I've got pages created for all 13 Skiff Guards and all 9 Sail Barge Guards. Wooof and the Gamorrean were the toughest just because they appear inside and outside the Barge. Also I seem to have discovered a second Astromech droid serving drinks inside the Barge (check out Wooof's page).

Wooof:
http://www.skiffguards.com/wooof.html

Gamorrean Guard:
http://www.skiffguards.com/gamorrean-guard.html

Human Gunner:
http://www.skiffguards.com/human-gunner.html

Devo
08-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Excellent work again, although I think you made one omission - I really think Leia's rear deserved mention on the far right of pic 4 on Wooof's page. :love:

Interesting about the mysterious second astromech - perhaps we should call him the "astromech drinksmaster". Also new to me is that Wooof had a slight difference to his outfit in the sailbarge battle. I doubt we'll get Hasbro to make both versions though.

The third weequay with the blue in his costume looks pretty cool. It'd be nice to get all 3 weequays in a 3 pack like the old cinema scenes. 3 birds with one stone. Seems to me its not necessarily a continuity error that this guy shows up again - its conceivable he didn't fall into the sarlacc and merely climbed back aboard the barge.

bigbarada
08-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Excellent work again, although I think you made one omission - I really think Leia's rear deserved mention on the far right of pic 4 on Wooof's page. :love:

Interesting about the mysterious second astromech - perhaps we should call him the "astromech drinksmaster". Also new to me is that Wooof had a slight difference to his outfit in the sailbarge battle. I doubt we'll get Hasbro to make both versions though.

The third weequay with the blue in his costume looks pretty cool. It'd be nice to get all 3 weequays in a 3 pack like the old cinema scenes. 3 birds with one stone. Seems to me its not necessarily a continuity error that this guy shows up again - its conceivable he didn't fall into the sarlacc and merely climbed back aboard the barge.

I might make a page for Slave Leia, just for the heck of it. :love:

I have heard some claim that the Red Nikto on the Sail Barge was not actually Wooof, but the alien named Klaatu. However, I don't think a chest plate is any indication that he is a different character.

I think it's funny to imagine that one Weequay climbing his way back up through the Sail Barge to go after Luke again, just to get killed almost immediately. :D

Even though it wouldn't technically fall under the category of "Evolutions" I would love to see 2 new "Klaatu, Barada, Nikto" 3 packs. But they can't be of the substandard quality that the old Cinema Scenes had. They'd have to be Evolutions or standard figure quality, otherwise it'd be best to just release them all single carded.

El Chuxter
08-17-2009, 11:21 PM
You could make a website devoted to slave Leia, and I doubt anyone would complain.

Qui-Long Gone
08-17-2009, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't! :love:

Devo
08-18-2009, 07:47 AM
I might make a page for Slave Leia, just for the heck of it. :love:

That would be cool. Every screengrab, pics from unused scenes, behind the scenes pics, promotional photos...oh the possibilities.

I have heard some claim that the Red Nikto on the Sail Barge was not actually Wooof, but the alien named Klaatu. However, I don't think a chest plate is any indication that he is a different character.

Yeah its the same guy. Makes me look forward to Hasbro making this guy to know that he appeared in both Palace and sailbarge - another scenario where one figure brings 2 scenes closer to completion...along with the shortening list of vintage figures yet to be remade.

I think it's funny to imagine that one Weequay climbing his way back up through the Sail Barge to go after Luke again, just to get killed almost immediately. :D

I can imagine him saying "Oh you did not just pull me out that window! You did not just do what you did!" whilst climbing back up a rope, obviously with the intention of rectifying his earlier embarrassment. And then he just gets killed. Poor chap.

sonofsokol
08-18-2009, 09:28 AM
First off, this is a great time waster at work:thumbsup:

Second, have you considered linking to pics of the action figures that have been made for these charachters? It would be fun to see a side by side comparison of the on screen and plastic versions of these guys.

bigbarada
08-18-2009, 10:56 AM
I can imagine him saying "Oh you did not just pull me out that window! You did not just do what you did!" whilst climbing back up a rope, obviously with the intention of rectifying his earlier embarrassment. And then he just gets killed. Poor chap.

:D Now that's a story that should have been in the Tales of Jabba's Palace book. lol

First off, this is a great time waster at work:thumbsup:

Second, have you considered linking to pics of the action figures that have been made for these charachters? It would be fun to see a side by side comparison of the on screen and plastic versions of these guys.

Thanks! I have thought about putting the action figure images in there, but the question is just where to get them. I could take them myself, but I don't own any of the POTF2 figures anymore. The other option would be to link to an external site like RS, but I'd have to get permission from them first of course. If I did that, then I would also like to find a reason to link to SSG as well.

TeeEye7
08-18-2009, 11:08 AM
You could make a website devoted to slave Leia, and I doubt anyone would complain.

That's when she looked her best (healthiest). And not just because of the bikini. Maybe BigB's analysis might uncover an Oola wardrobe malfunction, too! :lipsrsealed:

bigbarada
08-18-2009, 11:29 AM
That's when she looked her best (healthiest). And not just because of the bikini. Maybe BigB's analysis might uncover an Oola wardrobe malfunction, too! :lipsrsealed:

I've already investigated the Oola situation and I think she's wearing pasties. :(

TeeEye7
08-18-2009, 03:16 PM
You're my kind of investigator, BigB! :thumbsup:

Leave nothing unexamined!

Qui-Long Gone
08-18-2009, 10:55 PM
I think though we should all help in his investigation, not to challenge it mind you, just to confirm....:love:

bigbarada
08-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Well, I've broken down exactly which Skiff/Barge Guards are visible in Jabba's palace. I always knew that I had seen Nysad and Yotts Oren in the Palace, but I never knew they were in so many different places. Also, Vizam showed up much more than I thought he would. In fact, Yotts Oren, Vizam and Nysad are seen together most of the time. Pote Snitkin shows up once inside the Palace also, but only in the SE version of ROTJ. No signs whatsoever of Barada or Kithaba, though. Pote is the only one of the 13 Skiff Guards seen in the Palace (unless we want to argue that it's a different Skrilling)

Of course, Wooof is easy to spot and the Gamorrean Guards are so prevalent that I'm debating whether I need to even bother listing all of their appearances in the Palace.

So, go check out the pages for Wooof, Vizam, Nysad, Yotts Oren and Pote Snitkin. Also I added an "easter egg" on Kithaba's page.:thumbsup:

TeeEye7
08-19-2009, 02:09 AM
Also I added an "easter egg" on Kithaba's page.:thumbsup:

It's late and I'm tired, so........I wasn't expecting the "easter egg". It startled me! But it's cool! :thumbsup:

Droid
08-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Those screen grabs are so well done! Thanks! It is great to see who was in both the palace and at the Sarlaac.

Hey, isn't that Barada standing to the right of Pote Snitkin in the Special Edition shot of Pote in the Palace?

bigbarada
08-19-2009, 10:02 AM
It's late and I'm tired, so........I wasn't expecting the "easter egg". It startled me! But it's cool! :thumbsup:

Nice, I didn't anticipate the fear factor, just an added bonus! :D

However, I'm going to keep a close eye on my bandwidth usage and I might have to pull that animation down if I start to max out my bandwidth. I'm only allowed 300 gigs a month, which is not a lot, especially for a site that is mostly made up of large images.

Those screen grabs are so well done! Thanks! It is great to see who was in both the palace and at the Sarlaac.

Hey, isn't that Barada standing to the right of Pote Snitkin in the Special Edition shot of Pote in the Palace?

Thanks! I actually don't know who that is. I tried messing with it in Photoshop, but there was just not enough information in there to get a clear image. However, judging off of the silhouette, I would guess that it's a bareheaded Klaatu. The back of his head is too round for him to be Barada.

I'm thinking that shot is an unused bit from the original version of ROTJ. I don't think it's new footage shot for the Special Edition, because I've seen that image of Yarna before. In fact, I seem to recall that the original, unproduced Kenner figure of Yarna, from 1985, was based on that image.

There also seems to be a giant Nikto on Pote's left. No clue who that is. It's possible that this was filmed before all of the outfits for Palace aliens were completed (similar to how the Sandtrooper scenes in ANH were shot before the Stormtrooper armor was finished).

sonofsokol
08-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Just another thought regarding incorperating the toys into the site...
You could take have an image gallery (from your own collection or submitted from fellow SSG friends and others) of dioramas and figures and so forth. That way the photos would be "open source" and you could label the figures in the pics or something.
Boy, we are good at making more work for you.

I was going to email the link to your site to my brothers who are long time star wars fans, but I want to show it to them in person, to see their reactions. Great stuff.

Devo
08-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Wow, how did I never notice all those guards who appeared in the palace aswell? This is great. Characters I already have and characters I soon will have shall have double uses.

Nysad will now be a more satisfying figure since he was also seen prominently enough in the palace. And Wooof will be a really great addition next year as he was visible in so many different shots from different scenes.

By getting Sailbarge guards made we're also reducing the 'yet to be made' list for Jabbas palace too.

As to Yotts, Nysad and Vizam constantly appearing together - seems they must have been firm friends - perhaps the guys who played them too.

bigbarada
08-19-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm working on identifying all the Sail Barge passengers, just for the sake of thoroughness. Does anyone have any idea who this guy is? (see attachment)

El Chuxter
08-19-2009, 11:09 PM
I know he was given a name, or at least I'm pretty sure he was. Unfortunately, I can't think of it.

I'm sure Decipher said he was a former Jedi and current bounty hunter, who was running guns for the Rebellion while spying on Jabba for the Imperials. :rolleyes:

bigbarada
08-20-2009, 12:24 AM
I know he was given a name, or at least I'm pretty sure he was. Unfortunately, I can't think of it.

I'm sure Decipher said he was a former Jedi and current bounty hunter, who was running guns for the Rebellion while spying on Jabba for the Imperials. :rolleyes:

I know that I've seen a name listed for him, he's too easily visible in the Palace to have been completely ignored for this long.

You forgot the requisite link to Bothan spies and/or the Death Star plans that every EU character must have. :D

Anyways, I updated the Sail Barge page with a non-combatant passengers list:
http://www.skiffguards.com/sailbarge.html

Droid
08-20-2009, 07:38 AM
I think the bald guy is Captain Picard.

I noticed last night that it looks like Taym Dren-Garen is in the Palace. He is shown for a few shots right before Chewie and Leia come in and after Doallyn gets hit I think he is seen moving towards the door.

He is from the back so it could be a different actor, but the "antlers" and face scarf are pretty obvious so it is the same costume.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Continued great work, but just in the interest of complete accuracy, the Saurin on the Sail Barge is named Gauron Nas Tal, not Gauron Nal'Fas.

bigbarada
08-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Wow, how did I never notice all those guards who appeared in the palace aswell? This is great. Characters I already have and characters I soon will have shall have double uses.

Nysad will now be a more satisfying figure since he was also seen prominently enough in the palace. And Wooof will be a really great addition next year as he was visible in so many different shots from different scenes.

By getting Sailbarge guards made we're also reducing the 'yet to be made' list for Jabbas palace too.

As to Yotts, Nysad and Vizam constantly appearing together - seems they must have been firm friends - perhaps the guys who played them too.

I was surprised that the Sail Barge Guards showed up as much as they did. I did recall seeing Nysad and Yotts Oren at one point (along with Wooof of course), but I had no clue that Vizam was in so many shots.

I kind of imagine Yotts, Nysad and Vizam being sort of Jabba's "elite" guard (obviously 'elite' being a relative term here), or at least the highest ranking of his guards, unlike those lowly scrubs who still perform Skiff duties. :)

I think the bald guy is Captain Picard.

I noticed last night that it looks like Taym Dren-Garen is in the Palace. He is shown for a few shots right before Chewie and Leia come in and after Doallyn gets hit I think he is seen moving towards the door.

He is from the back so it could be a different actor, but the "antlers" and face scarf are pretty obvious so it is the same costume.

I thought I saw Taym's helmet, I'll have to look again. If nothing else, I'll make a page of the "Palace lookalikes."

Continued great work, but just in the interest of complete accuracy, the Saurin on the Sail Barge is named Gauron Nas Tal, not Gauron Nal'Fas.

Thanks for that, I'll fix it here soon. I welcome any corrections or information that others might have. I've already discovered a mistake that I made on Wooof's page. I assumed that Wooof was the person taking the drink from the unidentified Astromech, when Wooof was actually visible on the opposite end of the very same screenshot. :o So I welcome any other input. In fact, if Steve doesn't mind me linking to his site, I can give credit for corrections and maybe drive some more web traffic this way.

El Chuxter
08-23-2009, 08:10 PM
This might be a little off-subject, but I totally dare you to Photoshop in some random, completely ridiculous person into a Sail Barge shot and list him as a passenger. My vote is for John Denver. Y'know, 'cause of the classic Christmas album by John Denver and the Muppets.

pbarnard
08-23-2009, 08:44 PM
No, another Golden Girl, just not Bea Arthur...

bigbarada
08-23-2009, 09:03 PM
This might be a little off-subject, but I totally dare you to Photoshop in some random, completely ridiculous person into a Sail Barge shot and list him as a passenger. My vote is for John Denver. Y'know, 'cause of the classic Christmas album by John Denver and the Muppets.

:D Might be something to consider for April Fool's Day.

TeeEye7
08-24-2009, 10:49 AM
With all the work you're putting into this, you should put yourself in it, BigB!

Kind of like an Alfred Hitchcock or Stan Lee cameo! :thumbsup:

bigbarada
08-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Actually, if I was going to do a hoax, then it would be something subtle yet believable. Like this unused ROTJ proof card for Barada (attachment 1).

Or the extremely rare "blue pants" variation of Barada (attachment 2).

Gothiczartan
08-27-2009, 03:50 PM
the nikto gunner with gun stand. they should save that gun stand mold for another nikto gunner the one who shot the skiff with han, chewbacca and lando.

we can have two nikto gunners.

hope they make an updated klaatu thug one who was on sail barge battle against luke.

Oh yeah the other thug on sail barge who fights luke, don't forget that one.
he needs a name.

the klaatu guard who got knocked off by luke form the second skiff. hasbro has got to give this a name.

Droide
08-27-2009, 06:04 PM
As for the second skiff, I could only find one clear picture of it's passengers. This is taken from the back of Pote Snitkin's POTF2 card and is supposed to represent the skiff from his viewpoint.

On this you can see Barada on the far left, the Nikto the vintage figure was based on between a human guard (on the far right) and what I believe to be another Klaatu. I also believe that to be Sgt. Doallyn flying off the skiff. I have to watch that scene a little closer to see if there was anyone else on that skiff.

I hope to see the Human Flying as an action figure from hasbro,I like them all.

bigbarada
08-27-2009, 10:32 PM
the klaatu guard who got knocked off by luke form the second skiff. hasbro has got to give this a name.

Well, it seems that the name "Klaatu" is free now, since all the Klaatus are now Niktos and have been given other names; but there is also the name "Weeba Weeba" from the pre-production days of ROTJ. So, maybe we should just start referring to this unidentified Klaatu/Green Nikto as Weeba Weeba and see if it sticks.

So far, only the Red Nikto on the second skiff has no name (the vintage Nikto figure), all the other Red Niktos have been properly nomenclatured. I have heard the name Beytmunn in the past in reference to the vintage Nikto guard; but I have no clue where that comes from.

Vizam would be the Nikto guard who fires the big cannon on the Sail Barge and he was made in 1998 for the POTF2 line, but he is definitely due for a super-articulated update.

El Chuxter
08-28-2009, 12:39 PM
A hoax involving Barada's pants would be too subtle, though. It'd need to be more obvious. Unless you concocted a story about how he spilled something on his favorite blue pants and had to change into his red ones at the last minute, and he was so heartbroken that he didn't fight at 100% during the battle, thus allowing the Rebels to get the upper hand. :D

bigbarada
08-28-2009, 02:00 PM
A hoax involving Barada's pants would be too subtle, though. It'd need to be more obvious. Unless you concocted a story about how he spilled something on his favorite blue pants and had to change into his red ones at the last minute, and he was so heartbroken that he didn't fight at 100% during the battle, thus allowing the Rebels to get the upper hand. :D

Or maybe he was actually on the first Skiff, but soiled himself when Luke knocked him off, so after a quick change of clothing he clawed his way aboard the second skiff only to suffer a similar fate. Then when he was back down on the ground, he changed back into his poo-stained clothes, in the hopes that the smell would repel the Sarlacc. Unfortunately, it had the opposite effect and the Sarlacc went after him like Nightman to Charlie Kelly. :)

RUSHBOY
08-28-2009, 11:55 PM
They should make a Barada and Kithaba 2 pack as they remind me of the GI Joe twins !! Barada (tomax) and Kithaba (xamot) would be cool.
Hey you never know maybe they are twins !:grin:
By the way nice work on the website Bigbarada !:thumbsup:

bigbarada
09-03-2009, 08:25 AM
They should make a Barada and Kithaba 2 pack as they remind me of the GI Joe twins !! Barada (tomax) and Kithaba (xamot) would be cool.
Hey you never know maybe they are twins !:grin:
By the way nice work on the website Bigbarada !:thumbsup:

I don't think the EU writers even knew that Kithaba existed while writing the backstory to Barada, so I think it is possible that the characters might be related. They both have the same taste in headgear, so who knows? :)

Thanks, I want to update some stuff here soon, to possibly include reviews of the Skiff Guard actions figures (starting with vintage first), but things have been so hectic here with work I just haven't had the time.

bigbarada
01-04-2010, 11:52 AM
A minor update as I've been trying to sort through the whole Klaatu/Kadas'sa'Nikto mess. I posted some images of the porcelain Sigma Klaatu figurine, which is based on the unnamed Green Nikto Skiff Guard.

http://www.skiffguards.com/green-nikto.html

There is also a comparison shot of all four "Klaatu" figures from 1983 until now (attached below).

So, there were four distinct "Klaatus" visible in ROTJ and, so far, all four of them have some form of Star Wars merchandise based on them (although good luck with trying to cram that Sigma Klaatu onto your Skiff toy - also is it just me, or does that figurine seem a little portly?).

The big problem I am having is what is the current status of the name "Klaatu"?

1983 Kenner Klaatu is now Wooof.

1984 Kenner Klaatu (In Skiff Guard Outfit) is now Yotts Oren.

2009 Giran figure is described as "Klaatu Skiff Guard" on the UPC code.

1983 Sigma porcelain Klaatu is now..... ?

Since current retconned EU describes the species as Kadas'sa'Niktos or Green Niktos, then would that mean that the unnamed Green Nikto Skiff Guard is actually Klaatu?

Although, I'm really just hoping that someone un-retcons all this Kadas'sa'Nikto nonsense and they can just go back to being Klaatus. It doesn't make any sense that they would be related to Niktos anyway, since they don't share any common features (aside from being bipedal).

bigbarada
09-15-2010, 09:19 PM

Those four are:

Hard to believe it's been just over 8 years since I started this thread and now we finally have Kithaba and the Weequay Skiffmaster confirmed for 2011. :thumbsup: