PDA

View Full Version : Cloud city playset!!

boss nass
09-01-2002, 08:43 PM
I think it's time we get a playset for this part of the movie.I'd like a torture rack especialy to put Solo in(even if you sold this as a deluxe fo $10 bucks)I'd also like the dining room,maybe you can sell it like the way your doing the cantina sets,Insted or a section from the bar you can make sections from the table.The figs that come with sections i'd like to see a Bespin gown Leia,Boba Fett,Ice cream maker guy,Vader with Hans Gun,Twin pod car pilot,Stormtroopers,a new Han in Carbonite,and maybe a new Lobot.
Or you can make a whole big playset(but i doubt it)or it could be like the Death star playset we got.Please consider this,these are the things that sell so make em!:D

Lord Tenebrous
09-01-2002, 10:04 PM
The upcoming Arena playset shows that it's quite difficult to do a playset that encompasses a few scenes from a film (I tried to do a Hoth playset concept, and it was too frustrating for me to complete).

But Saga is doing a good job at Bepin mini-scenes. Vader and Luke are good starts, and your other ideas do fit into Saga-sized packages:

* Leia (Bespin Gown) can come with a table (some assembly required, but since Leia's tiny, it's worth it)

* Han (Bespin Prisoner) would be a pre-posed statue. Will kiddies want a figure frozen in anguish?

* The prior Bespin Vader figure (the prototype with blast deflection) is being released sometime in the future.

* Twin Pod Cloud Car has been waiting to be picked up for a while now, hopefully a store will select it for 2003, as a Bespin Pilot is rumored.

* Boba Fett is getting an ROTJ figure, and Han (Carbonite) would better profit from an ROTJ release - he'd come with the block, and lots of articulation for blind stumbling.

* Lobot isn't at the top of anybody's resculpt list, but he might be redone eventually. Stormtrooper is in a series of releases, from the recent Troop Builder set, to the 2003 McQuarrie design.

As far as the playset, there's just too much. The Carbonite Chamber release set the scale, and I doubt any other ideas, be it a landing platform, dining/torture/Ugnaught rooms, etc, would do a scene justice.

But once Hasbro retools the Millennium Falcon, and gives us a well-articulated Lando Calrissian, then a landing platform playset would be the best choice. It can be designed for both Han's arrival to Bespin, and Boba's departure. :)

Beast
09-01-2002, 10:10 PM
Lord Tenebrous, Lobot tops my re-sculpt list. Since the first POTF2 version is an abomination. All Lobot ever did was stand around, and the figure makes him look like he's disco dancing. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
09-01-2002, 11:48 PM
I thought Senator Binks topped your list, Jar Jar. ;)

Take him down, or else we'll get Electronic Lobot w/ Quick Draw and Annoying Flashing Light. You don't want that. A good chance for him is a 2005 ESB Anniversary 2-pack - that's a nice reason to give us both a Lobot and a well-articulated Lando. :)

(with Saga Chewie, Luke, and Vader, they'll need to dig a little deep, so that's when we can get a Leia and Han during their Hoth argument, and round it out with a Yoda and Luke training set)

Rogue II
09-02-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
Take him down, or else we'll get Electronic Lobot w/ Quick Draw and Annoying Flashing Light. You don't want that. A good chance for him is a 2005 ESB Anniversary 2-pack - that's a nice reason to give us both a Lobot and a well-articulated Lando. :)

I'd like to see a well articulated Lando so he can give the POTJ Bespin Han a big hug. He's such a smoothie.

The POTF2 Lobot is bad, but the "Satruday Night Fever" Uncle Owen has the ultimate disco pose.

Beast
09-02-2002, 12:18 AM
True, Senator Binks is the very top of the list. But Lobot is in the top 5. The 25th Anniversary of ESB in 2005 is a good chance, but knowing Hasbro they will stick to main charecters.

The POTF2 Uncle Owen isn't all that bad in my opinion. Well, the body isn't, the face could use some work though. The pointing finger is a bit annoying, but I can overlook that. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
09-02-2002, 12:31 AM
I don't think Uncle Owen is all that bad either, but the way his arms are sculpted, he can do John Travolta's famous pose.:D

boss nass
09-02-2002, 12:32 AM
We need a torture rack !!!!

Beast
09-02-2002, 12:34 AM
Boss Nass, to quote the smug Han Solo. "We need? What about you need?" Sure the torture rack would be nice, but it's not somthing I need. I would much prefer a Vaporator, packed with a re-sculpted Uncle Owen. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

boss nass
09-02-2002, 12:38 AM
"we" could use a vaporator too

Jayspawn
09-02-2002, 02:23 AM
Thats a good idea. We should have some sort of Bespin Playset. Heck, any sort of Classic Star Wars playset would be great. There could be some sort of hallway connecting the cell that Chewy was working on 3PO and the room Vader was torturing Han in. And it could come with an Ugnaught and tourture rack!

Jargo
09-02-2002, 08:33 PM
In the vintage lne there was to be a Bespin playset that encompassed varied environments from the freeze chamber to the gantry where the father revelation took place. It was an impressive afair that lookedto be around three or four feet from end to end. I've only seen pictures and in a bookstore so i can't illustrate how magnificent it looked but it was huge and I think the freeze chamber playset we got not long ago was originally part of it I'm not mistaken.

I think the gantry would make an excellent playset though. It's all very well putting part of the gantry in with Vader but you can't hang Luke on it. I'm talking the big Oval shaped structure with the walkway leading from it and the vane at the end. I'm talking railings and break away pieces. One of the pivotal moments in the whole saga and it's totally overlooked.
The weather vane from the bottom of cloud city that packed with Luke is nice but not what was really needed for play re-enactments.

The dining room is something I can wait for. Not high on my list of priorities.

The cloud car will come. a pilot for it might take longer. :rolleyes:

bigbarada
09-02-2002, 08:47 PM
I'm pretty much positive that the Carbon Freeze Chamber was originally made for the vintage figures, since they are the only ones who fit in it correctly.

I think the designers in the 3 3/4" Kenner SW section had grand plans for playsets; but the bigwigs at Kenner were trying to limit the competition for their new Micro Collection concept. They put all their eggs in one basket, the Micro Collection failed and we ended up with 0 decent Cloud City playsets for the vintage line (I don't count that cardboard crap).:cry:

Beast
09-02-2002, 08:52 PM
BigB, the Carbon Freezing Chamber was originally designed to be released for the POTF2 line, but then was cancelled for a long time. It was supposed to be released about the same time that stores quit backing vehicles because they didn't sell well. That's why the less accurate POTF2 figures which didn't really stick well to scale, fit better in it then the new properly scaled figures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
09-02-2002, 09:08 PM
Here is the pic of the vintage Cloud City Playset. It is mostly cardboard.

http://www.toysrgus.com/images-toys/figuretoys/cloudcity.html

Jargo
09-03-2002, 07:39 AM
That's not what I'm talking about. Therewas a concept created that was never produced. Ir was all plastic and had multiple areas of play that depicted various scenes and brought it all together as one playset.
I saw a book on star wars colectibles in a bookstore some time ago and was going to buy it. It had all the old vintage oddities in it and unproduced prototype pictures of stuff like the tantive IV ship and all of that. I'll have to see if i can dig up this pic - it's awesome to behold.

bigbarada
09-03-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
BigB, the Carbon Freezing Chamber was originally designed to be released for the POTF2 line, but then was cancelled for a long time. It was supposed to be released about the same time that stores quit backing vehicles because they didn't sell well. That's why the less accurate POTF2 figures which didn't really stick well to scale, fit better in it then the new properly scaled figures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I used to have the Carbon Freeze Playset, I tried it out with vitage, POTF2 and POTJ figures. The vintage worked best and the entire playset seemed to be designed with them in mind. The POTF2 figures didn't work at all, especially not the Carbonite Han Solo that was pictured on the box. POTJ worked alright, but the figures tend to have wierder leg poses that take up much more space.

Even if it was made for the POTF2 figures, it wasn't compatible with them in the slightest. This playset only works well with vintage figures.

Hey, Jargo, are you sure you're not thinking of the Micro Collection Bespin World playset? I don't think I've ever seen plastic prototypes of 3 3/4" scale Bespin playsets.

Jargo
09-03-2002, 02:31 PM
Maybe. I only saw it in abook in a store while I was drooling over other reference books Coulda been the micro one. Either way that's what's needed now. Not these stupid semi-scene pack in pieces made of chewing gum.

Rogue II
09-03-2002, 02:51 PM
This page has some links to both produced and unproduced Micro Collection Bespin Playsets. I'll keep looking for more.

http://www.toysrgus.com/images-toys/micro/micro-bespinworld.html

Jargo
09-03-2002, 04:37 PM
Thanks Rogue II, looks like that was the prototype I saw only it was a really good quality one not a fuzzy boxed picture. Y'know, glossy posh book quality pictures? Anyways, what I was saying still stands, there needs to be more of this stuff produced, good quality environments to put the figures into. If they took the micro version as a starting point and produced the torture chamber and the large gantry that's be a really good start. If the torture chamber is too horrific for kids they could at least call it the prison or something. make it sound less brutal but still pack in the torture aparatus. Have a bench that slides out from the wall and a working door.
The gantry needs to have the large ovoid part with the doorway then the platform and the gantry leading off that and the vane at the end. The insides of the ovoid part would be a corridor or part of the maintenance area that Luke and Vader fight in.

The Freeze chamber playset we got already is okay i guess as far as playsets go. Could be better. Could have the tongs aparatus overhead and more stairs. But it does basically.

I quite like the Bespin apartment that Leia and Han use as an environment but it might have Barbie's dream home connotations for some so wouldn't make a good boys toy. The main hallway environment with that weird sculpture in it would be cool though. A central core area that could have several doorways of varying types, and off one would be a landing platform. Big enough to take the Falcon we have now or Slave-1. It's only going to be a disc shaped flat piece so it can't be that hard to do.

I should probably mock up something to illustrate what I'm talking about shouldn't I? Maybe I'll do just that. ...

Rogue II
09-03-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I should probably mock up something to illustrate what I'm talking about shouldn't I? Maybe I'll do just that. ...

You may have to since it seems Bigbarada is setting a new precedent for research here in the Dear Hasbro section. I wonder how long it will be before he creates a complete PowerPoint Presentation and mails it to Hasbro.:D

Jargo
09-03-2002, 08:14 PM
I think I'll do it in drawing form, making something the size I'm thinking of would be too masive for my tiny workspace. I'm no artist like BigBarada so forgive my lame perspectives even though i managed to get into art school.... :rolleyes:..... some things just aren't meant to work out....... :)

boss nass
09-03-2002, 10:57 PM
I have the Bespin World Micro machine set that Rouge 2 pulled up,and i must say it's an awsome playset!It is NOT a prototype.Now if they scaled the SAME concept as the micro set to a 3 3/4 scale that would at least do some justice,We allready have a freeze chamber.Now if we could attach a scaled gantry and control room to it that and the torture rack would satisfy me and probably a whole slew of other collectors out there.Man does anyone from Hasbo read these post?or am i just wasting my time*sigh*

Jargo
09-04-2002, 05:57 AM
They do read them, I've seen several ideas from these forums show up as toys, almost exactly as they were described as ideas here. Obviously like with everything compromises are made in production due to cost issues or play value but things definately get through to Hasbro.

But you are right that the other parts of the micro set as add ins to the freeze chamber would be awesome, especially the gantry and prison block. The control room I could probably live without though. It might be kind of fun but if Hasbro were to do just the two add ons I'd want the twwo I mentioned definately.

bigbarada
09-04-2002, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II

You may have to since it seems Bigbarada is setting a new precedent for research here in the Dear Hasbro section. I wonder how long it will be before he creates a complete PowerPoint Presentation and mails it to Hasbro.:D

Don't give me any ideas.;) I'm half tempted to draw up my own prototypes for each figure.:crazed:

The Endor Rebel Soldier in Biker Scout disguise showing up on the last fan choice poll was a big indicator that they pay attention to this section. Myself, Eternal Padawan, Jargo and a few other members started mentioning him almost a year ago. I don't think too many people even knew he existed before that.

Rogue II
09-04-2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada

Don't give me any ideas.;) I'm half tempted to draw up my own prototypes for each figure.:crazed:

The Endor Rebel Soldier in Biker Scout disguise showing up on the last fan choice poll was a big indicator that they pay attention to this section. Myself, Eternal Padawan, Jargo and a few other members started mentioning him almost a year ago. I don't think too many people even knew he existed before that.

On you way to Rhode Island, stop by here to pick me up and we can talk to Hasbro directly. :D

Another thing that shows Hasbo reads this the Endor Accessory Kit. We've mentioned the Ewok's Imperial Xylophone many times.

When I was looking at that Bespin Micro Collectioni playset, I found that you could buy it all in one box or you could buy the individual pieces. Interesting concept. My nephews have little hot wheel/matchbox car playsets that hook together like that. It would be cool if they could make a other sections of Bespin connect to the Freezing Chamber.