PDA

View Full Version : Rate the Halloween Movies

General Veers
09-02-2002, 03:40 PM
I wanted to see what everyone thought of the halloween series since I just saw the last one that I needed to see today. Here it goes. *On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the lowest, 10 being the highest.*

Halloween I-9
Halloween II-8
Halloween III-0
Halloween IV-10
Halloween V- 3
Halloween VI-6
Halloween H20-6
Halloween Resurrection-8

What do you guys think?

BlahBlahBlah
09-03-2002, 11:46 AM
Halloween: 9
Halloween 2: 7
Halloween 3: -10
Halloween 4: 10
Halloween 5: 3
Halloween 6: 1
Halloween H20: 7

And I still haven't seen Ressurrection.

Halloween 4 was by far the best of the series. It, and the first two, are the only ones that I actually had me *scared*. H20 did that a little, but it wasn't as good. I like to be scared by scary movies.

Hellboy
09-04-2002, 08:55 PM
Halloween: 10
Halloween II: 9
Halloween III: 0
Halloween IV: 8
Halloween V: 5
Halloween VI: 2
Halloween H2O: 7
Halloween Resurrection: Haven't seen but it looks like crap IMO

The original is by far the best. Why you ask? One word, STYLE. Unfortunately it started the whole slasher flick trend of the early eighties and because of that is often overlooked as a quality movie. It should be considered one of the best movies of all time but horror movies aren't usually held in very high regard and sub-par sequels often diminish the effect of the original. If you don't believe me simply try and find a scene in any of the other movies that match the suspense and atmosphere of the closet scene. Few movies convey the feeling of real terror the way John Carpenter did all the way back in 1978. :evil:

Jayspawn
09-05-2002, 02:03 AM
Having completed my DVD collection of the Halloween movies. My rating goes as is...

Halloween 10
Halloween II 8
Halloween III (We'll just pretend it was never made)
Halloween 4 8
Halloween 5 6
Halloween 6 8
Halloween H2O 9 1/2
Halloween Resurection 9 1/2

2-1B
09-05-2002, 04:06 AM
Jayspawn, how did you get part 6 on DVD? I've only seen it offered in a Miramax multi-pack with some bad Hellraiser sequels . . .

Okay, I'll take a non-scientific stab at ranking the series:

Halloween
I give it a 10, a masterpiece that haunted me as a kid and STILL can freak me out. :happy:

Halloween II
8. Pretty good as far as sequels go, I like how it brings in Samhain without going over the top, I like the sister revelation, and I like the nurse. The hospital allows for some real chills, but it's not extraordinary.

Halloween III
Do I have to rank it? Okay, I give it a Zero. Ugh, the only successful use of Stonehenge in a movie plot was in This is Spinal Tap, and that was a comedy. :D

Halloween 4
I give it a 9 ! I know it doesn't "deserve" it, but I just love the movie. It does "up the gore ante", but it remains creepy. Let's see, I was about 10 when it came out, so I was really freaked and even today on DVD it is a treat. So it gets a 9, my second favorite of the series. :happy:

Halloween 5
Yuck, a 5 here. :mad: Starts off fine, because it operates off of a great Part 4. But it spirals into hell . . . my rating is biased a bit by part 6 because it took a BAD ending and made it worse, but Part 5 is a real letdown. :cry:

Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers
Hmm, I'll give it a 4, even though it's more than one point worse than part 5. The presence of Paul Rudd does salvage it a bit, but this movie is lame. :rolleyes:

Halloween H2O
Well, this movie disappointed me too, so it gets a lower rating because it should have been better. I can't fault it for the absence of Donald Pleasance (RIP), but there were many things I would have done differently. I'll give it a 7.

Halloween Resurrection
I dunno, it was fun. :) Nothing about the story interested me really . . . since there really wasn't a story at all. I didn't care at all about those kids, but Busta was fun to watch. The beginning is awesome, it's a shame they didn't play off of Laurie Strode's death - instead, they slapped it in there as a coda to parts 1, 2, and 7. I give it a rating of 6, since it's better than 5 but not as good as 7.
I do give it some credit for at least explaining the end of part 7 instead of just ignoring it.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-05-2002, 11:18 AM
I'll admit I've only seen the original, 2, and 4. For some reason the only other one that I'm slightly interested in watching is 3 because I've heard it doesn't have MM as the villain in it and doesn't follow the plotline (if there is one) of the other movies. My ranking is as follows:

I
II
IV

Not a big surprise. The original is just better than all the subsequent ones because it helped the whole genre get started. I'd say it's heads (no pun intended) and shoulders above movies like Friday the 13th because it actually has a decent story that doesn't rely almost 100% on teenage sex.

Number 2 is a close second because it contributes to the storyline established in the OG movie and is also a great thriller without really relying on the sex thing.

4 is OK, but I don't get the whole thing with the girl going psycho at the end of the movie. What was up with that?

General Veers
09-05-2002, 03:48 PM
Mandalorian Candidat , Don't even waste you time in watching Halloween III, it was HORRIBLE and it wasn't even the least bit scary. Save your time and money for a better movie.:mad:

2-1B
08-30-2007, 10:51 PM
How bout Veers rocking the Myers-tar up there ? :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
09-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Since the new movie came out, I'll rate the ones I've seen.

Halloween-9
Rob Zombie's Halloween-8
Halloween II-6
Halloween: H20-4
Halloween: Resurrection-1

Lord Malakite
09-04-2007, 01:18 PM
I guess I'm the only one here that actually liked Halloween III. Has nothing to do with Myers and wasn't scary, but I did enoy the insects from the mask scene and the catchy Shamrock music. :D I can't really fault them for not using Myers either, after all Halloween (prior to IV) was initially meant to be the theatrical version of what "Masters of Horror" is today, not just another "Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street" type movie series.

2-1B
09-04-2007, 07:23 PM
I hear ya Malakite, and that would have been fine if they ended the Myers storyline with the first one...but once they did 2, it became the Myers franchise.

DarthQuack
05-11-2009, 11:38 PM
New trailer up for H2.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/weinstein/h2/hd/

Looks kinda meh to me...

2-1B
05-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Agreed on the meh-ness, but at the same time I think it should be better than the first one....not that the first one was very good to begin with.

Interesting take on the hospital storyline.

Darth Jax
05-13-2009, 11:11 PM
the original is the basis for all comparison (100%).
#2 rates a 95%
#3 shouldn't be rated along with the other halloween films, gotta consider it a stand alone flick and for the time period it was made it isn't horrible. but then it again it ain't great.
#4 & 5 i've only seen the televised versions - so can't truly rate them, but 4 is around 45% and 5 40%.

i enjoyed H20 90%
haven't seen resurrection so can't rate it.

zombie's halloween 85%. the trailer for H2 looks interesting, i'll definitely see the movie.

JetsAndHeels
05-27-2009, 02:24 PM
According to this (http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/movies/halloween2.php) page on the upcoming horror films website, Weird Al is in H2. Hopefully he will not be there just to be another victim of Mike's rampage through Haddonfield.