PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Point...

Sidiously Darth
09-02-2002, 08:42 PM
We all know from the movies and books that when the Empire came to power, technology as a whole made a slight u-turn. From Ep. I & II, technology looks cutting edge but in the later trilogy, it takes a backseat to security and control.

My point is this; it's funny how advancement in technology took a turn for the worse in such a short period of time, 10-15 years w/ the Jedi Purge and the advent of the Empire.

On the otherside, there is no visible upswing 30 years after Jedi. They're still using X-Wings and familiar capital ships, weapons haven't changed much & the galaxy continues to exhibit a gritty look.

Now with the NJO and the loss of Coruscant, the future of technology looks bleak. I find it interesting the the Empire was able to leave such a lasting impression even after its demise.

That's just my observation.:)

rynobot
09-03-2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Sidiously Darth
We all know from the movies and books that when the Empire came to power, technology as a whole made a slight u-turn. From Ep. I & II, technology looks cutting edge but in the later trilogy, it takes a backseat to security and control.

My point is this; it's funny how advancement in technology took a turn for the worse in such a short period of time, 10-15 years w/ the Jedi Purge and the advent of the Empire.

On the otherside, there is no visible upswing 30 years after Jedi. They're still using X-Wings and familiar capital ships, weapons haven't changed much & the galaxy continues to exhibit a gritty look.

Now with the NJO and the loss of Coruscant, the future of technology looks bleak. I find it interesting the the Empire was able to leave such a lasting impression even after its demise.

That's just my observation.:)

This is why I reccommend that we have the orginal movies redone. We can keep all the actors and chartceres but just redo all the effects backgrounds and anything else that is not a charter of the movies. We can keep the names of the items just make them look better. ;)

Beast
09-03-2002, 02:10 AM
Umm, why Rynobot. There is nothing wrong with the change in technology between the Old Republic and The Empire. Form over function was the style of the Old Republic. But when the Empire comes to power, there is no place for craftmanship, no place for beauty. It's a reverse case of form over function.

And it happened with our craftmanship as well. Just look at cars from the 60's and 70's that were streamlined and elegent, and cars from now adays that are cookie cutter machines. The same thing can be seen with all craftmanship if you compare nowadays with 30 years ago. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
09-03-2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Umm, why Rynobot. There is nothing wrong with the change in technology between the Old Republic and The Empire. Form over function was the style of the Old Republic. But when the Empire comes to power, there is no place for craftmanship, no place for beauty. It's a reverse case of form over function.

And it happened with our craftmanship as well. Just look at cars from the 60's and 70's that were streamlined and elegent, and cars from now adays that are cookie cutter machines. The same thing can be seen with all craftmanship if you compare nowadays with 30 years ago. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I'm sure your response was in fun butt to cover myself I will state that my response was also in fun. Although, I would love to see to have a time machine and do the movie with today technology back in 1974 when the movie was first started to be produced.

Beast
09-03-2002, 03:46 AM
My response wasn't in fun, I was totally serious. I didn't know that you were kidding around. But yes, the movie would have a different look with the new effects, but Lucas would have kept the used universe, because that was what made Star Wars unique. Because Lucas didn't like the fact that all sci-fi movies made everything look new and shiny.

Now with the prequels we learned why exactly things went down hill so fast. As I said it was the exact same as what happened in the U.S. in the 80's. Workmanship and Detail went out the window to speed up production, and turn it into a more cookie cutter assembly line. Everything went from well detailed craftmanship, to just basic tooling. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
09-03-2002, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
My response wasn't in fun, I was totally serious. I didn't know that you were kidding around. But yes, the movie would have a different look with the new effects, but Lucas would have kept the used universe, because that was what made Star Wars unique. Because Lucas didn't like the fact that all sci-fi movies made everything look new and shiny.

Now with the prequels we learned why exactly things went down hill so fast. As I said it was the exact same as what happened in the U.S. in the 80's. Workmanship and Detail went out the window to speed up production, and turn it into a more cookie cutter assembly line. Everything went from well detailed craftmanship, to just basic tooling. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I thought if I put a ;) it meant that I what I said didn't mean what I said? Don't get me wrong I love X-Wingsm Tie Fighters and Y-Wings and most defintly the D-Star, Interceptor, A-Wing, B-Wing, and the Capital Ships! I'd love to see how Lucus would make these look if he made these today! I'm sure all of the ships would look so awsome! I grew up with thes ships so dont think that I am just and AOTC fan boy! I'd just like to see how Lucus would have made the ship look if he just came up with the idea yesterday!