PDA

View Full Version : Obi Wan against Qui Gon

Nebulaz
09-02-2002, 08:52 PM
I was wondering what everyone thought of this. I"m not sure i'm the first to catch this or not, but there are decrepencies between EP 1 and EP2 anakins being told two things by two people.

when qui gon tells anakin before the pod race: he says "feel dont think, use the force"

and in ep 2 before the enter the club chasing Zam, obi wan says to anakin "Patience, use the force, think"

so which is he to believe.

Beast
09-02-2002, 09:01 PM
Umm, your point is what exactly? Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are two different people. They each bring their own personalitys to their training methods. Plus it was two different lessons, and circumstances that led to those words of wisdom. Obi-Wan was also implying that Anakin should have patience, use the force, and think before he acts. Instead of rushing into the club like a bull in a china shop. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Nebulaz
09-02-2002, 10:18 PM
But if you're letting the force guide you then you should be using your feelings to direct your and use his insticts not think or devise a strategy. If he's thinking, then he's not letting the force guide him, which contradict each other. Am i taking this the right way?

Beast
09-02-2002, 10:28 PM
But Anakin isn't doing that, he's being impatiant and not listening to the force. Qui-Gon was simplyfing it for young Anakin, because he doesn't have the training or knowledge for Qui-Gon to be really complex. If Anakin feels the force, it will guide him through the pod race. In AOTC, Anakin was using the force, but he wasn't relaxed or thinking on his actions. Remeber what Ben tells Luke in ANH.

Luke: So it controls your actions?

Obi-Wan: Partially, but it also obeys your commands.

So just letting the force guide you isn't enough, it will guide you along the proper actions, but it doesn't control you. Plus remember that Ben was simplifying the Force so Luke could understand it better. The same as Qui-Gon to Anakin, who also at that point had not been trained as of yet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
09-02-2002, 10:47 PM
Jar Jar is absolutely right, Nebulaz.
But, on the one hand, Anakin did say that Obi-Wan's unwavering and strict teaching style frustrated him...

Nebulaz
09-04-2002, 01:52 PM
gotcha...makes sense now.

darthvyn
09-14-2002, 08:30 PM
no, actually, i'm with nebulaz on this one...

this is similar to a discussion about qui-gon being wrong about midichlorians, and their significance. i feel that qui-gon is going to end up being wrong about a couple of things, a red herring if you will. the lessons both impart to anakin at these times are VERY different, almost opposite to each other. it could be that qui-gon's early lessons have affected anakin's impetuous nature. his feelings of being held back by obi-wan could be from this "use your feelings" lesson.

at the same time, obi-wan's ghost voice tells luke to "let go" and trust his feelings, so now i'm really confused as to what i actually think... i'm going to go lie down now...

InsaneJediGirl
09-20-2002, 08:44 PM
Jar Jar is right.

Qui-Gon is not wrong,after all,Yoda was his Master.Qui-Gon wasnt in the wrong by telling young Anakin to feel dont think.However,teenage Anakin is taking it out of context,and probably using a "Qui-Gon would have said..." defensive.

It is possible,vyn,that Qui-Gon wasnt wrong,but just did not explain himself fully to a young and impressionable Anakin.

LTBasker
09-20-2002, 11:50 PM
I always just thought it was a Podracing moment exclusive piece of advice so he wouldn't think about what kind of bugs were hitting his face that he "wasn't" feeling so he could keep his mind on the race. *shrugs* :D

darthvyn
09-21-2002, 02:42 PM
perhaps part of the training of a jedi is in knowing when to let it control your actions and when to make it obey your commands...

therefore, both lessons are good ones for the time - in the podrace and in the trench run, it is a time to trust instincts (fed by the force.) in the zam chase, it is a time to use the force through conscious thought...

whaddaya think?

mini-rock
09-21-2002, 04:11 PM
I'll by that. For Anakin at the beggining of the chase he was using his instincts to chase Zam, but when he chased her into the bar he was still in "instinct mode" which is why Obi-Wan stopped him. If he had ran into that bar, without using his head, it's possible Zam could have gotten the better of Anakin.