PDA

View Full Version : What is going on at SSG that is causing so many people to become upset...?

JEDIpartner
09-02-2002, 08:40 PM
I am at a total loss for an explanation, but it seems that there are many "senior" members of these forums that have become more and more unhappy with things that have gone on here over the past couple of months. I, for one, have put myself at a distance as there has been an awful lot going on in my life- health, partner's new job, MY new duties at work... etc...

I have just heard from so many people that they are unhappy about some of the newer "upstarts" being so negative and "foul." I have only run across the negative posts and just have to shake my head when I see them. I think it is absolutely sad that one would want to join a forum like this- one where we celebrate the joys of the films, collecting, gaming and roleplaying. This is where we should have a sense of community... a place where we all feel accepted and understood. Can we discuss this stuff with out co-workers? Our parents? Our friends? I, for one, only have two friends with whom I can discuss this hobby to any extent. I consider that a very lucky circumstance... HOWEVER-- for many, this is the ONLY place where they can converse and share and I don't want to see that change or get marred.

In light of the fact that we may be on the verge of losing several key members of these forums, I am aksing all of you to do your part not to change the climate of SSG for the worse. This is a place where I come to relax, enjoy, discuss and, yes, SOMETIMES criticise quality issues of the products produced (be it the films or the tie-ins). Please do your part to respect other members of the forums and not to provoke fights or these so-called "flame wars." If more of what you feel and say about this hobby and about these movies is negative rather than positive, perhaps you shouldn't be a part of this place. After all, it was designed for those who LIKE the hobby and the films. Perhaps you could start an anti-Star Wars site to your liking.

I cannot stop the exodus of the friends I have met and have developed on-line friendships with, but I AM asking everyone to try a little harder to shake this negative and aggressive vibe. As we approach the one year mark of the vilolent attacks on our country, have we not learnt that we all need to be a little kinder to each other? Life is short and hurt is long.

Thanks for reading me.

derek
09-02-2002, 09:40 PM
i think there are a few things that have some long time forum members upset. they are, in no particular order:

1. the influx of a lot of new people flooding the forums with "meaningless" posts.

2. certain forum members causing trouble.

3. their super friends hideout was discovered and infiltrated

4. they finally realized that yoda lightsaber fight was wacky.
:crazed:

AmanaMatt
09-02-2002, 09:42 PM
I have noticed the 'negative' vibe on this site, and all the others I visit. Honestly, I figure that the newer members are younger, and probably do not know better. I do not post as much as I used to.

DeadEye
09-02-2002, 09:52 PM
There was a surge of unlikeable new members that everyone thought were me. :rolleyes:

Sometimes my very presence causes forumites to vomit.

stillakid
09-02-2002, 11:23 PM
I hear you on this. For quite some time, I tried to discuss issues that I thought were interesting, but inevitably it always ended in near bloodshed. I took a break for a short time this summer to distance myself from the burning embers and regain perspective on reality. Not a day or so after I "rejoined" was I lambasted for offering up a simple opinion regarding a topic. What can I do but throw up my hands. You just can't win.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
If more of what you feel and say about this hobby and about these movies is negative rather than positive, perhaps you shouldn't be a part of this place. After all, it was designed for those who LIKE the hobby and the films. Perhaps you could start an anti-Star Wars site to your liking.

In regards to the above part of what you said, this idea was put forth to me several times in the past. Essentially, if you don't like it, get out. In response, I started a thread whose purpose was to do nothing but praise the positive virtues of AOTC (I think it was). Needless to say, it was one of the least visited and added to threads I've ever seen. As much as the militantly Pro-Prequel camp wages a defense on anything Star Wars, it seems that people would rather b*tch and moan that "we" don't like certain aspects than actually put forth the effort to praise the positives. Again, what are you going to do? :rolleyes: But face it, it's far more interesting when there is dissent than if all anyone ever did was put on a goofy face and grin about how perfect Star Wars is. That's not a fanclub...it would be a freakin' cult.:crazed:

And I literally just found out about that secret party that's been happening in the back room. So not all the "seniors" (if you're going by post count) are part of the slam-fest that seems to be the purpose of it. ( I guess I wasn't worthy enough to be an "insider") I come here to a) keep abreast of the toys, b) to discuss the movies themselves, and c) to casually chat about other topics that sometimes interest me. I've got enough real world stuff to worry about without having angst over some anonymous screenname trying to beat me down. This is supposed to be fun, but some people really know how to ruin a hobby.

bigbarada
09-02-2002, 11:46 PM
Well, since it is essentially dead right now, the secret section of SSG was never meant to be a slam-fest. It originally was created for the forums members who just wanted to have fun and joke around, without being constrained by the rules of post-padding, since posts made in the secret section didn't count towards your post count. But it just evolved into a refuge where people "in the know" could go to vent frustrations about life, issues or certain forums members. Unfortunately everybody had pretty much the same complaints about the same forum member and we got accused of being a "clique." This went from bad to worse as tempers flared and the secret section was threatened to be shut down if things didn't change. On top of that 6 moderators were chosen to police up the secret section and it has essentially become like a police state, where any comment made that a moderator thinks might be offensive is edited out. If you think that the regular forums are pretty strict, the secret section is about ten times worse right now.

Thus, many forums regulars are moving on to greener pastures at other message boards of their own creation.

I'm sticking around, cuz I wasn't that frequent of a visitor to the Cell Block (the secret section). And I have just decided to bury myself in research for my "Skiff Guards" figure request (see my sig line and don't forget to show your support:) ) this way I can just ignore all the crap going on and remain occupied while all the dust settles.

TylerD
09-03-2002, 01:20 AM
I don't think that there is any use for the "secret area." What the whole idea says to me is that there is in fact a "clique" or an "elite" group in the forums. I know life isn't fair, but I am going to say it is unfair anyway. You can notice the clique anyway, WITHOUT knowing about the "secret area," because a few of the senior members (no names) seem like they are talking down to some of the junior members!

Anyway, this board is always in a cycle...when the site was called Sir Steve's Guide to New Kenner Star Wars Action Figures (wow - try saying that five times fast!) there were always people leaving (who here remembers han77 and princess77?). Back when the "Great Glitch" occured, many of our members left to go and join Bananapunk's or Opee's forums...myself included. Now it is the same thing...people leaving for stupid reasons...

On a side note, let me just say that I am sick of the Goodbye threads! If someone is going to leave, just leave. Chances are, I won't even notice their absence.

And after about two years of being away, I am back and not enjoying it as much as I used to....I think there is too much biotching about everything, and that there is not enough focus on SW...Plus the fact that everyone is so GODDAM sarcastic......

Thanks for letting me vent...Don't flame me too bad now... ;)

hango fett
09-03-2002, 06:12 AM
yeah....everyone thought my cousin jerk jerk stinks, was deadeye.......so he won't be posting here again, to say the least...
h

SirSteve
09-03-2002, 09:00 AM
Well, it's not our fault if people leave (this time). It seems like a lot of people are not getting along. I believe I am going to bring back the password protected feature and change it often. That way, the "group" as a whole can decide who gets it. It will be passed from mods to whomever.

SWAFMAN
09-03-2002, 10:02 AM
the keys to the executive bathroom, as it were.

and just like that elitist practice, now that this one's exisitence is well-known, it too will be certain to create a sense of a caste system, with all its inherent envies & snobberies.

JEDIpartner
09-03-2002, 10:12 AM
I didn't point my finger at the operators of the site so much as what was going on with the forum members. Thankfully... my questions are getting answered.

Rogue II
09-03-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN

and just like that elitist practice, now that this one's exisitence is well-known, it too will be certain to create a sense of a caste system, with all its inherent envies & snobberies.

I've known that it existed for a week or two now since I accidentally stumbled upon it. I am not part of it and I don't care if it is there or not. I come here to talk about Star Wars, movies, and whatever happens to be going on in the General Discussion area. It is nice to be around other people with similar interests.

I believe it was Forrest Gump that said, "That's all I have to say about that.":)

hango fett
09-03-2002, 11:21 AM
so....does this mean that the current forum users can have that privlige, or just mods and sirsteve?????
?
h

Nexu
09-03-2002, 12:07 PM
The mods will decide who will get the pass, and the people who get the pass will decide who else gets in. I will not be suprised if I am not invited in for quite some time, if at all.

Pendo
09-03-2002, 12:13 PM
I doubht I'll get back in either Nexu, as it was partially my fault that it was nearly closed down :(. I KNEW I shouldn't have started that thread :cry::rolleyes:.

PEN88DO!

Nexu
09-03-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
PEN88DO!

:D

bigbarada
09-03-2002, 12:32 PM
This will work until the password protection is brought back:

Open up any SSG section, but DO NOT open up any threads. Go up to the address bar and change the forumID to 88, then hit enter and you will be transported to Cell Block SSG.

This will work as long as there isn't a password.:)

jeddah
09-03-2002, 12:37 PM

Yes, and alienate the younger or more sensitive members.

Sir Steve? Perhaps you should rename the forums "UncleSamsguide.com" , afterall there seems to be as much of a penchant for compartmentalisation here as in the US Government.....

jeddah

Mandalorian Candidat
09-03-2002, 12:40 PM
Personally, I'm slightlly disturbed at the recent increase in negativity directed towards some of the members. Like with everything in life there are people at work, in your family, on your block that bug you for some reason. I don't think SSG's an exception. For me I just try to ignore who rubs me the wrong way for whatever reason, but if they direct something towards me directly that's friendly I'll try to reciprocate in the same fashion. Maybe by ignoring some of the more casual negative posts instead of just snapping back will cause it to go away on its own.

That being said I hope I haven't made anyone upset through some post I've left. It probably wasn't done intentionally. If so please accept my apology.

I'm planning on continuing to frequent this site. In all the time I've been a visitor to SSG, I still haven't found a more user-friendly SW-themed place on the internet.

Master Goeweins
09-03-2002, 12:44 PM
I know that my post count is low, because I only finally decided to register this year. However, I have been at this website religiously since 99. I have been a part of other Forums, and have generally hated them because they were always so dern exclusive. People who posted together, stuck together. And if you were new, then your post meant nothing. Whole lotta of "no fun." Anyways, I finally gave into these Forums because it really seemed like a community. People talked to each other regardless of post numbers or seniority. The numbers just seemed like a fun way of ranking your longevity to the Forums, not status for conversation.

I have genuinely enjoyed being here. Ideas and discussions are shared evenly. Stillakid may disagree with me on one thing, but he has agreed with me on others... it never seemed out of consideration for my status. Exclusive rooms just make it feel unwelcome in here. What do you talk about in there that you don't talk about elsewhere? Why can only certain people go? I don't really care, I just would hate to see this place become divided and have one group resent the other. As a community the whole lot of you should be pretty proud. This place stands out heads above the rest.

bigbarada
09-03-2002, 12:56 PM
When SSG switched over from the old forums a lot of bugs in the system were fixed. One of those bugs was the post count (in the old forums, many members posts weren't counted while other's were). So since there was no post count for many members (myself included) the rules of post padding weren't strictly enforced. Thus many threads popped up in rarely visited sections of the forums, that had no point and whose only purpose was pure silliness. (The Trading Card section was the main concentration of these threads, since few visited that area) While this was a lot of fun for many forums members when the new forums were started, the admin began cracking down on silliness threads and nonsense posts.

This led a lot of members from the old forums to complain at the loss of something special at SSG. Namely a place that people "in the know" could go to without being hampered by the rules of post-padding (since post counts meant so little to many of us). Some came up with the idea of taking a low-traffic section and letting those members convert it to there purposes. That section would stay in plain site of all members and easily accesible to all members. This idea was shot down and I came up with the idea of just doing away with post counts completely. However, that idea was shot down too.

Thus SirSteve and Bel-Cam-Jos came up with Cell Block SSG where posts didn't count towards your overall tally, thus the rules to prevent against post padding didn't apply. It was set up so that we could invite whomever we wanted, and I remember inviting several people who stopped in for a few posts then never returned. It wasn't meant to be an exclusive thing, just a place where people could let loose and say whatever they wanted whether it was relevant or not.

So there it is, the abbreviated history of Cell Block SSG.:)

Master Goeweins
09-03-2002, 01:05 PM
Well, something of that nature sounds good. I have often avoided posting a line of wit for fear of being labeled a "post-padder."

I just would hate to see these Forums break down. It is one of my favorite places to go.

JEDIpartner
09-03-2002, 01:35 PM
It really depends on what one considers post padding. I know that JJB was accused of this quite some time ago. I feel that it has been established that JJB is NOT a post-padder, but a motormouth instead ;). Actually... he's an all right guy. He's one of the reasons I enjoy posting here. Excellent repartee with other members!!!

Beast
09-03-2002, 01:45 PM
Aye, I was slapped with the post padding accusastions a few times in the past. But you can go back thru my entire posting history and see that while I do post alot, very little of it meets the post-padding requirements. But yes, I am a horrible blabbermouth/motormouth, and it sometimes bites me on the backside. :evil: :Pirate:

But thanks for the kind comments JEDIpartnr, there are a few people on the forums that I have a less then positive reaction to. Enough to want to whip the Nerf Crotch Bat out, but I've been trying to hold my tongue more. And that is pretty hard with these big ole gungan tongues. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
09-03-2002, 02:00 PM
After reviewing Cellblock SSG I have decided to leave SSG and never post here or log on here again. The only time I will view the site is to check the PA collector club. I'm sorry but after seeing how people post pointless replies and topics I see that I do not belong here at SSG. The people that post in the Cell Block are men amungst boys, and I don't need to know that their is some exclusive club here at SSG that feels that they are better then the people that do not post there.

Pendo
09-03-2002, 02:14 PM
Bye rynobot :). Watch the door doesn't hit you on the way out. Only messin ;).
The cell block doesn't think we're better than everyone else, things just got a little out of hand :(.
If you want to leave because of it, then go ahead, but PLEASE don't do that annoying thing of saying you're going to go and don't! if you want to stay then stay, we'll welcome more of your posts. :)

PENDO!

Nexu
09-03-2002, 02:17 PM
Yeah, like Pendo and I did. ;) :p

Beast
09-03-2002, 02:18 PM
May as well leave because of the moderator section then also, since you know they have their own lil section where they can kick back and be themselves. Seriously, if your going to go off about the Cellblock, then you obviously don't get what the place was designed for.

A place where some of the senior members that have adult senses of humor, and the people that those members knew that could handle stuff like that could get together without worry of the mods needing to drop a bolder on them because the kiddies see what they shouldn't.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Nexu
09-03-2002, 02:19 PM
Except for that one Yo Mamma joke that Dar posted. ;)

Pendo
09-03-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Nexu
Yeah, like Pendo and I did. ;) :p

Actually Nexu I was very careful. I didn't say I was going to go, I said if people wanted me to I would, I never said I wanted to :), because I didn't want to go :confused:. If people wanted me to go I would have, and would have returned with a different name ;). I find it very annoying when people say they're going, then 2 days later start posting as if nothing had happened.

PENDO!

Nexu
09-03-2002, 02:22 PM
yeah....:p

Lord Malakite
09-03-2002, 03:08 PM
There is a secret forum?! :confused: Why didn't I know?

LTBasker
09-03-2002, 03:09 PM
Because you're not a Stone Cutter. ;)

Lord Malakite
09-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
My father is. Does that count? :)

And there is supposedly a secret mod section too JarJar? :sur: I guess I'll have to check them out.

Rogue II
09-03-2002, 03:27 PM
So YOU are the people responsible for Steve Guttenberg and the lack of the Metric System in the US? :mad:
Lousy no-good blankity-blanks.

LTBasker
09-03-2002, 03:35 PM
Yep and we also keep the Martians under wraps. MMmm... chocolate martian......

hango fett
09-03-2002, 04:30 PM
them damn martians invade the silver screen once every 2-3 years, it seems like! but why do they always want to kill us???
anywho, if 10 or more people said "leave now! i hate you with all my guts!" then i MIGHT consider leaveing...but right now, i think there is too much stress in the forums....everybody just chill!
h

SWAFMAN
09-03-2002, 05:14 PM
Well, it will most likely be a relief to many of you that after learning of the existence of (and browsing) 'cell block SSG' I am probably going to limit my posts to the MM forum from now on.

If it weren't for the great information and enjoyable friendships in that forum, I think I'd be off SSG entirely.

I freely admit that my reasons are petty and less adult than I'd usually admit, and certainly some here will snicker and enjoy seeing an "unworthy" forumer showing their hurt feelings over finally finding out about the cell block in this way.

Yes, you'll be happy to know that it does make me feel like a loser to have found out about the cell block the way I did. For me, and perhaps some others, this sort of cliquishness brings back painful memories of school and never being accepted socially.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-03-2002, 05:28 PM
Well, it will most likely be a relief to many of you that after learning of the existence of (and browsing) 'cell block SSG' I am probably going to limit my posts to the MM forum from now on.

If it weren't for the great information and enjoyable friendships in that forum, I think I'd be off SSG entirely.

I freely admit that my reasons are petty and less adult than I'd usually admit, and certainly some here will snicker and enjoy seeing an "unworthy" forumer showing their hurt feelings over finally finding out about the cell block in this way.

Yes, you'll be happy to know that it does make me feel like a loser to have found out about the cell block the way I did. For me, and perhaps some others, this sort of cliquishness brings back painful memories of school and never being accepted socially.

Try not to feel too bad about it, Swaffy. I stumbled accidentally upon the forum last year after being on SSG for an eternity and not being "asked" to join. For some reason it didn't appeal to me as much as the regular forums so I just disregarded it without telling other members about it. It did feel a little weird having it there, kind of like your best friend having a party but not inviting you to go.

I hope you don't decide to log off permanently because of it. I'm sure you aren't the only "old-timer" to not be invited to join in. :cry:

Vortex
09-03-2002, 06:35 PM
If you senior heavy hitters around here want a place to debate openly and avoid all the childish crap that happens in the normal forum, go for it.

I know I'm tired and bored of always searching through new threads and posts to find the bulk is belly aching about re-doing figs, hasbro has a conspiracy against them and all collectors, or reading over and over how people hid figs, hoard figs, can't find figs, or prattle on about e-bay and scalpers.

So I support you senior guys/gals and your own little private area. If you've lasted long enough, contributed philosophically, and can have a sensable debate or blow off steam, go for it.

Maybe Sir Steve should have a senior forum. Us little posters have to prove ourselves with logical reasoning, show we don't have a short fuse, and can have a positive contirbution to a discussion. After a few months or a year or two they can have access with the big hitters and it would keep the new kids, or trash out. And the bigger fish would still have access to the minors to check things out and help contribute.

I know its a pipe dream and all personal preference about what and how people contribute, but it would keep the hostility down and actually make the forum what it was intended to be.

Just look at all the regulars who posted in this thread. That should be your core group.

But that's my 2 bits. It might seem a little stuffy or class related, but lets face it. You regulars are what's keeping me coming back and making this forum what it is.

Jedi Drew
09-03-2002, 07:13 PM
I'll put my two cents in...I guess. I'm sort of mad that there is a secret "Area 51" forum for the long time posters/older collectors-but I'm an older collector and never knew of this "Secret Forum." Why wasn't anyone invited into this little "Club?" I'll still post here at SSG. Maybe not as much as before because of this episode..... :sur: :sur:

LTBasker
09-03-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Drew
I'll put my two cents in...I guess. I'm sort of mad that there is a secret "Area 51" forum for the long time posters/older collectors-but I'm an older collector and never knew of this "Secret Forum." Why wasn't anyone invited into this little "Club?" I'll still post here at SSG. Maybe not as much as before because of this episode..... :sur: :sur:

It's not for top posters, there were three ways to get there: 1. Be some of the first there, 2. be invited, 3. find it.

Theres only one way to find it, and it's a way where you pretty much find it by accident. I found it by accident out of curiousity and so have others. It's nothing to get your lightsaber in a fizzle about, it was a cool place to hang out sure but there wasn't any favoritism being played.

Jedi Drew
09-03-2002, 07:20 PM
Thanks, for the auto edit. I can't believe you can't say ****ed Off on these forums.......:confused: :confused:

Jedi Drew
09-03-2002, 07:25 PM
Look, I'm not gonna fight about it. The point I was trying to make is that we all are into SW so why should there be a "Special Club/Forum?"

Big Chewie
09-03-2002, 07:31 PM

It's not for top posters, there were three ways to get there: 1. Be some of the first there, 2. be invited, 3. find it.

Theres only one way to find it, and it's a way where you pretty much find it by accident. I found it by accident out of curiousity and so have others. It's nothing to get your lightsaber in a fizzle about, it was a cool place to hang out sure but there wasn't any favoritism being played.

There wasn't any favoritism being played?
How do you get invited ? I guess you invite people you dont like.

All this does is make people feel bad, no matter what the intentions were.
Maybe it should have been accessible to everyone by password with a warning posted about content. This site asks for your date of birth when you register so if your too young no password for you. At least people wouldnt feel like your talking behind their backs.
Just my opinion and I'm sure most of you dont care.

Big Chewie

DeadEye
09-03-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Drew
Thanks, for the auto edit. I can't believe you can't say ****ed Off on these forums.......:confused: :confused:

Really? I can read the whole word right now.

LTBasker
09-03-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Big Chewie

There wasn't any favoritism being played?
How do you get invited ? I guess you invite people you dont like.

All this does is make people feel bad, no matter what the intentions were.
Maybe it should have been accessible to everyone by password with a warning posted about content. This site asks for your date of birth when you register so if your too young no password for you. At least people wouldnt feel like your talking behind their backs.
Just my opinion and I'm sure most of you dont care.

Big Chewie

How do you get invited? By a friend or a mod, there weren't a WHOLE lot of invites going out, only people we felt like bringing in. Favoritism would've been "Everyone else is not worthy because they're not [whatever]" if you had 0 posts, and you found the way in, well then you'd be in there. If one of the Cell Block ppl were your friends and felt like inviting you and knew you could keep the secret then they'd most likely invite you.

Basically it's pretty much like a chat room on a message board like what you'd do on Instant Messenger or something. Can't really comment on the people talking behind your backs part because I'm sure many people on here talk behind other's backs over the phone, IM, e-mail, snail-mail, to someone they know in person or even over the forum PM. Actually we don't really talk about people that much unless there is a very annoying trouble maker on, then we'll vent steam in a fun way.

Like I said, it's nothing to get your lightsaber into a fizzle about, it doesn't matter if you're there or not cause it's not like you get special powers, special treatment, or anything like that, it was just a place to joke around for those in there and anyone could find it, it was just a matter of chance.

Jedi Drew
09-03-2002, 07:50 PM
I totally agree with Big Chewie's idea about the password and his other thoughts. That's all I'm gonna say on this subject....

Big Chewie
09-03-2002, 08:00 PM
LTBasker dont get me wrong I'm not terribly upset that I wasn't invited and I'm not attacking anybody for being in there I just think that when you try to keep something secret and you only invite certain people to join in that is favoritism. I know if say Dar Argol had invited me in and you didnt like me I wouldnt be your favorite, but I would be one of DA's or he wouldn't have invited me.
That is favoritism

It's just the fact that it was brought out into the main forums with the type it in red and the lttle remarks about it, is like saying haha I know something you dont know. Thats what bothers me about it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I know I'm fairly new here and I'm not trying to start anything with anybody. I like the idea of having a place where you can post just about anything and dont have to worry about it.

It just shouldnt have been secret
Password protected yeah
but not secret

Just My opinion though

Big Chewie

Dryanta
09-03-2002, 08:41 PM
First let me say hello to all that were here when I was frequent user.
Second I'd like to welcome all the "new" users.
And third Thanks JP for starting this thread.
I have known about the cell block for a very long time.

It's clear that some have hurt feelings over this.In lot of ways this forum is much like a family.Well, some brothers and sisters were invited to a cook out and others were not.
I don't believe it was anyone's intent for it to be an elitist thing.But the very nature of it is exclusive.And most know how I feel about that ;)
If some are hurt by the discovery because of being left out,I'm sure others are as upset for being found out( for lack of a better term)
The cell blocks existence in itself is not a problem for me.
My problem is with the wedge it has become between alot of people here.So I take up your offense.And I knew it was there.
So my apologies go out to all my friends that my knowing may have hurt.
But as a side note,Again,I only posted there once in 6 or so monthes,because alot of my friends weren't there.That should not be misconstruded as self justification but as explanantion of how I really didn't take the idea as seriously as I should have.
I am a social outcast by choice.Always have been,so Derek I can't honestly tell you I understand your POV.That doesn't make me any less sorry for my part in this.I never invited anybody.And there alot of people here I consider friends.
So I think the idea should not be revamped in anyway.For what?We all(assumption on my part) have email.There are also PMs to be used here for content that may not be suitable for all readers.
I have no problem what so ever with the MOds having a place to go.It's probably needed.None of you guys are next door neighbors.:)
I am hoping to be around more again soon.And maybe the petition idea for a collector representitives that came up awhile back would help bring some much needed unity to all of us again.
Sorry for the ramble.I hope you all get my message.

stillakid
09-03-2002, 09:49 PM
Maybe what we need is a good old fashioned bon-fire. We can roast some weenies, make some s'mores. :D And (egads!) even talk about Star Wars!:eek:

;)

JEDIpartner
09-03-2002, 10:00 PM
I knew about the Cellblock about a year ago. I looked at it and nothing really impressed me there. What I really enjoyed was the repartee that we all had on the main boards. I've never been one to get invited to stuff... even when people do think I'm cool. It's not a huge deal. I have crap self esteem anyhow, so why dwell on it?

Aaaaaaaanyhow... I was becoming a little saddened by the fact that what was full of energetic exchanges has been replaced by morose, repetitious threads and biting commentaries.

I still think this is one of the best sites around and I would still much rather frequent this than some of the other alternatives. I just wish things could be a little more like they were and the mood to be a little lighter. Everyone's gotten so serious around here lately. I wanna tell everyone to lighten up...I'm gonna soak up the sun. :cry:

Please don't hate me for wanting to talk about this.

QLD
09-03-2002, 10:30 PM
There is a phrase I am trying to think of....can't quite recall it.....OH YEAH!

Blown out of proportion. That was it.

Have a nice day!

Dar' Argol
09-03-2002, 10:34 PM
I was going to keep my mouth shut because I still feel a little burned about this whole situation, but Big Chewie brought up my name;):D.

The CellBlock was not created to be a High and mighty council, it was built as a place for those of like humored minds to have fun with each other without the fear of getting nailed for post padding or going off topic. It was a place to relax and get off the topic of Star Wars for a while and have some fun. Expecially in the slow times. And you were invited on the basis of your posts. If you showed that little "spark" or had the right bit of humor so to speak, you were invited. It did not mean you were a favorite, it met that you would fit right in. With our little bunch of inmates, we were not going to invite the Doctor . . .see???

And the whole thing with the Posting in red was to get some ppl to ask questions, which in turn would most likely land them in the Cell Block then.

I was never ment as a place for the "senior" members to go and talk about everyone else. That only happened recently because we were all frustrated about a certain forumite. If you trace the CellBlock back to its beginings, you will see that we hardly ever talked about anyone else in there, unless we were looking to invite someone and "refresh the blood" so to speak.

I stumbled upon that place before I was a Mod and those guys welcomed me in, I had the right sense of humor to mesh well with them. I laughed many times and made many laugh at me. Many, many funny things were created there, Nerf Crotch Bat, The 80's Tars . . . he he he, the Hassl'tars, and Hank:D. Sadly, because of recent events, Hank no longer feels comfortable in there and has moved on:(.

Do not feel that you were cheated on something you never knew was there until now. Most of the ppl here, if they would have found that place in its prime, would have shoke their head, not understood, and moved on. Some may have got it, the humor and the jokes, but I feel most would have not.

It was a good thing we had going there that some of you may have been a part of. Unfortunatly, through our own frustrations, we spoiled it. I don't think it could ever be what it once was . . . . . . . . . . . Its a shame, and I am sorry . . . . . . . . . . . . RIP CB, those of use who knew you, will miss you . . . . . . . . .

Big Chewie
09-03-2002, 11:15 PM
Hey DA,
Sorry I brought your name up. I wasn't trying to drag you into anything I just was using an example and yours was the first to come to mind, since I talk to you in the PA collectors forum.

Big Chewie

stillakid
09-03-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
I stumbled upon that place before I was a Mod . . .

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a smartalec or anything, but how do you "stumble" onto this place? It's not even so much that you may have just started randomly plugging numbers into the URL, but how would you know to try that in the first place? Somebody else mentioned that they found it by "accident" or something of the sort. Maybe I'm just being blonde here, but I don't get it? :confused:

Signed,
Just Curious

Beast
09-03-2002, 11:27 PM
I can answer that, because that is how I found my way in. When people post in there, it show up in their "Last Post" line, when you look at their profile. Other then then, it never appears in their archived posts in their record of posts, and it never appears in the "View New Posts" section. So if you look at someones profile right after they posted in there, you found the rabbit hole entrance. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
09-03-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a smartalec or anything, but how do you "stumble" onto this place? It's not even so much that you may have just started randomly plugging numbers into the URL, but how would you know to try that in the first place? Somebody else mentioned that they found it by "accident" or something of the sort. Maybe I'm just being blonde here, but I don't get it? :confused:

Signed,
Just Curious

When I stumbled on it, I was new to the forum. I accidentally(sp) clicked on Emperor Jargo's name, which brought up his profile. Under "Last Posted in" was SSG's Secret Clubhouse. So seeing Secret, I clicked the link and found myself in the CellBlock. That was how I stumbled onto that place.
Not only that, but anyone could have found it, either through me or Bel-Cam Jos. If you would have gone to the forums leaders link at the bottom of any forum, it lists BCJ and myself as the Mods of that area. Of course now there is an army of Mods there.

2-1B
09-03-2002, 11:31 PM
stillakid, you can find the Cell Block by clicking on a person's profile - if his or her last post was in the block, you can get there from there.

Oh, and there is also a forum leaders link on the front page that lists meds for different sections - and Cell Block SSG is listed right there, hyper linked for people to find. :)

Beast
09-03-2002, 11:35 PM
There is also a secret backdoor, buried at the bottom of the CCG/Trading Cards section. It was one of the posts that was moved into the Cellblock when it was created, so there is still the remains of the Moved link buried there. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
09-03-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I can answer that, because that is how I found my way in. When people post in there, it show up in their "Last Post" line, when you look at their profile. Other then then, it never appears in their archived posts in their record of posts, and it never appears in the "View New Posts" section. So if you look at someones profile right after they posted in there, you found the rabbit hole entrance. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Ooohh. The "backdoor."

But didn't you feel funny posting there (anyone who found it this way) by finding it that way? Sort of like crashing a party that you weren't invited to? I was PM'd the way in (by a source who will remain unnamed), but wasn't really "invited" so I felt more like a peeping Tom than anything else. I'm sure that there is a basis for a University Study here somewhere. :cool: Anybody ever read the Milgram Experiment?:crazed:

stillakid
09-03-2002, 11:37 PM
There is also a secret backdoor, buried at the bottom of the CCG/Trading Cards section. It was one of the posts that was moved into the Cellblock when it was created, so there is still the remains of the Moved link buried there. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Now it feels like Swordfish. :Pirate:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-03-2002, 11:38 PM

How do you get invited? By a friend or a mod, there weren't a WHOLE lot of invites going out, only people we felt like bringing in. Favoritism would've been "Everyone else is not worthy because they're not [whatever]" if you had 0 posts, and you found the way in, well then you'd be in there. If one of the Cell Block ppl were your friends and felt like inviting you and knew you could keep the secret then they'd most likely invite you.

Basically it's pretty much like a chat room on a message board like what you'd do on Instant Messenger or something. Can't really comment on the people talking behind your backs part because I'm sure many people on here talk behind other's backs over the phone, IM, e-mail, snail-mail, to someone they know in person or even over the forum PM. Actually we don't really talk about people that much unless there is a very annoying trouble maker on, then we'll vent steam in a fun way.

Like I said, it's nothing to get your lightsaber into a fizzle about, it doesn't matter if you're there or not cause it's not like you get special powers, special treatment, or anything like that, it was just a place to joke around for those in there and anyone could find it, it was just a matter of chance.

I'd like to associate my remarks with that of LT's.

For those of you who are crying foul about the content, the inside jokes, the "clique" type atmosphere, etc. of the cellblock, I think you have made a snap judgment.

First of all, as stated before there were three ways to get into the Cellblock: be one of the original members who helped to create and establish it (a very few number) be invited (surprisingly a few members where during my stint, and while that may seem bad, I'll explain later why it really wasn't) and stumble upon it (a large number of the Cellblockers, including me, did).

I saw a few stumblers during my time. Here's usually a stumbler's first post. "Hi guys, looks like I stumbled upon your secret hideout." :p At this point, the stumbler made an important choice. Was he or she to post again? Many did and some didn't. For those who weren't interested in the off-beat humor of the cellblock, who really didn't know any of the members, who felt they spent enough time already in the regular forums and couldn't commit the time to a new forum, or some other reason, they didn't. I saw and read a lot of posts of these people who just popped in to say hi and never posted again or posted very infrequently.

For some who found the cellblock a little on the edge and wanted to be a part of it, they would post again. The important distinction was that the choice WAS THEIR's alone. Members didn't conspire and take secret votes to let certain members in or out. Member's didn't say "sorry, we don't like you and you can't join." We couldn't have stopped you if we wanted to. If you found it, it was your choice alone whether you wanted to be a part of it. It was only at the very end that things got very hairy when a member who was much poked-fun at was invited in that some members got into a tizzy. Some of the members decided that this member was just too much for the block to take, and jumped ship. Some made their peace with this member and decided to continue with the cellblock.

Whatever each member did at the end, most can agree that the childishness that took place was regrettable.

As far as being secret is concerned, that was decided by it's founders. It may seem to be unfair, but I will tell you this, they had their intentions. Whether it was to shield certain members from the sometimes racy threads, whether it was to keep certain ones out, I have no idea. However, in the time I occupied the cellblock, members were invited in. Most anyone could. There was little or no litmus test to becoming a member (maybe it helped if you were a little loopy). No one stopped anyone from doing it. We didn't sit around in our smoking jackets on executive furniture, deciding which members to let in and which ones to not, while making fun and rubbing it in to the souls who had no idea about the cellblock.

95% of the posts dealt with nonsensical posts (humorous or not is highly speculative), inside jokes, bizarre rants, personal stories, outright jokes, or just plain questions and queries. That was the reason it was designed as I understand it. It was a place for forumites to unwind. It was a nice alternative to the regular forums--a place where rules were relaxed to allow the occasional humorous limerick and haiku or some other cheesy stuff. Very few of the posts (and there were some regrettably) talked about certain members. Some of those posts were unflattering. As LT said earlier the same stuff can go on through PMs, the mods section, personal chats, E-mails etc. That isn't an excuse for those types of posts but with 3,200 members on these boards you are going to have a variety of personalities, some members with chips on their shoulders, some easy-going, some somphmoric, etc. It was inevitable that type of stuff was to be brought up.

For those who didn't find the cellblock until now, all that I can say is that I am sorry. I found my way after searching a few profiles and reading the titles of a few posts that I didn't recognize. I wouldn't have found it any other way. I kinda liked what I saw and I decided to stay. I didn't feel shunned in anyway, I didn't see any of that petty stuff (in the beginning at least, you could see what just transpired by reading the latest posts) I am now glad that the cat has been let out of the bag. The secret cellblock is no longer and you can see for yourself the history of the block. The choice is yours whether or not you want to be a part of it. There is no stopping you. The choice is yours.

Beast
09-03-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Ooohh. The "backdoor."

But didn't you feel funny posting there (anyone who found it this way) by finding it that way? Sort of like crashing a party that you weren't invited to? I was PM'd the way in (by a source who will remain unnamed), but wasn't really "invited" so I felt more like a peeping Tom than anything else. I'm sure that there is a basis for a University Study here somewhere. :cool: Anybody ever read the Milgram Experiment?:crazed:
Nope, never felt odd at all posting in there. That was always meant to be one of the ways to find the place. They figured that anyone that found it, either would stay because they had an odd sense of humor that wouldn't fly in the regular forums, and could get Sir Steve in trouble for the adult humor. Or that they would consider it not their kind of place, and just move on. I have one of those odd senses of humor, if you notice alot of my posts I have a sarcastic smartarse quality. That's why I fit in, and why I stuck around. :)

It never was meant to be a place to talk about people that frustrated you. Most of us were vocal enough to say what we were thinking in the main forums anyway. It was a place to kick back, have a drink, and just run around and just babble on about odd stuff. Just check back into the older posts, and you will see that it was never a bad place. It wasn't until a new member of the forums started pushing on peoples nerves, and we needed a release, so that we wouldn't skull drug him. So it became a place to vent, so that it wasn't done on the forums. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
09-03-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
There is a phrase I am trying to think of....can't quite recall it.....OH YEAH!

Blown out of proportion. That was it.

Have a nice day!

Amen my lengthy membered friend ! :crazed:

Look, the past few days I've seen some whining about this Cell Block and all I can suggest is - get over it. :rolleyes:

Jeez, I've been frequenting this site for a long long time and I only found out about it in early August. Instead of crying about how I wasn't "good enough" or any other loaded terms, I just dove in and had some fun.

A big ole "Nice job" :rolleyes: to everyone who started rambling about the potential "Cell Block closing" out here in the main forums.
Because of that, I can certainly see how people would take it bad, in a hurtful way even though they shouldn't. Believe me, I am sensitive to that - but instead of taking it at face value, snoop around in there like I did when I found it and you'll see it's a place for goofiness.
Things obviously got out of hand, and I think there's plenty of blame to go around.

"Long time members" feeling bad is one thing, but I just looked in the Tumbleweed Cell Block tonight and I see someone who registered in JULY crying about the exclusivity.
C'mon, that's going wayyyyyyy too far. :rolleyes:
Let's take it easy with the crying about it, I'm disappointed in the reactions of some people.

Rynobot - you've demonstrated a penchant for silly and meaningless postings during your drunken stupors, so for you to dismiss the Cell Block as somehow childish is quite laughable. :rolleyes:

One final thing, if you'll allow me the opportunity - JEDIpartnr is my absolute favorite person in these forums, no offense to anyone else but I've never "met" such a kind hearted person.
His efforts here only serve to reinforce what a person of great class and character he is. :)

I'm sad. :cry:

*crawling back under my rock . . . *

2-1B
09-03-2002, 11:55 PM
stillakid - why should someone feel bad about posting there after stumbling upon it? :confused:

If you would take the time to look around (again, like I did :) ) , you would see JediTricks' thread entitled "SSG's secret Clubhouse" in which he states it's for anyone who's invited or finds it on their own. So if you find it on your own, why would you feel weird about posting in there?

And if someone did PM you the info, I think that would fit the definition of "invitation."

*crawling back (again :D ) under my rock*

stillakid
09-04-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
stillakid - why should someone feel bad about posting there after stumbling upon it? :confused:

I don't really know except that I felt funny. But that's me. The implication of the forum that I got was that it was "private" for "members only" or something like that.

If you would take the time to look around (again, like I did :) ) , you would see JediTricks' thread entitled "SSG's secret Clubhouse" in which he states it's for anyone who's invited or finds it on their own. So if you find it on your own, why would you feel weird about posting in there? And if someone did PM you the info, I think that would fit the definition of "invitation."

Honestly, I poked around for just a minute or so but didn't run into JT's explanation (it wasn't a "sticky" so it wasn't really meant to be obvious apparently). Based on the PM info I received, it wasn't really phrased as an invitation. Perhaps I was interpreting it incorrectly, though. But what I "read" from the PM was that some bashing was going on and I rather assumed that I was getting slammed behind my back (because I had just been run-through a day previous in the plain old regular people's forums :) ). That's just my irrational suspicious nature :crazed: at work. :) In any case, I didn't feel necessarily welcome (JT's post that I didn't read aside) as it clearly existed for a long time before anyone clued me into it. It's kind of like a High School party. If you hear about it, it's not necessarily good form to ask if you can come too.

*crawling back (again :D ) under my rock*

No, come back. The light is good! ;)

But anyway, all that above sounds kinda negative, which isn't really the mood I wish to convey. Based on the explanations above about what the forum area was meant to be, it sounds like a good idea both for members and for SirSteve. And I understand the quandry about publicizing it. SirSteve has to keep the forum clean to avoid any outside influence, so any kind of public advertisement would put that at risk. That all makes sense to me. And for the "exclusive members," they get to do whatever they want (almost apparently :rolleyes: ).

But I've gotten a few PM's since my original post above from some long time members expressing dismay about the existence of such a "secret" site in the first place. Exclusion is always hurtful. Yeah, the backdoors were there, but not everybody digs around enough in the digital world to find that sort of thing, which leaves the only way "in" to be through invitation. And not being invited is just as good as saying that you're not good enough. That's the real problem here as I see it. The forum had good intentions but it may have fractured any feeling of community (no matter how disfunctional it was) that had been built here.

Dar' Argol
09-04-2002, 12:25 AM
But stillakid, it was open for anyone to find. As opposed to having the password in effect. Imagine if you came across an area that you needed a password for. Imagine the slap in the face then. At least you could get in and look around and if you wanted to, post. I think a passwords protected area would have more fitted the "elitist" idea that most think about this place.

But that is my opinion.

2-1B
09-04-2002, 12:31 AM
Fair enough stillakid, I really don't want to tell others how to feel about it . . . even though I did in my post. :D

I've been reading the backlash over the past few days, hiding out in our Fantasy Football thread (don't worry, we only bash each other is there :D ) but as an "old timer" of sorts, I just wanted to share my reaction since it's different than those of you, Swaffy, derek (and others). And I mention the three of you because I get along great with all of you and have for quite some time.

Frankly, I don't want any of you guys being upset (with me, for example) for not being invited - like I said, it took me awhile to "get in" and I didn't have the same reactions that you fellas are experiencing.

stillakid
09-04-2002, 12:36 AM
But stillakid, it was open for anyone to find. As opposed to having the password in effect. Imagine if you came across an area that you needed a password for. Imagine the slap in the face then. At least you could get in and look around and if you wanted to, post. I think a passwords protected area would have more fitted the "elitist" idea that most think about this place.

But that is my opinion.

I understand that, but "hiding it" is just as effective an exlusionary measure as using a password. It was indeed open for anyone to find, but if you didn't even know that such a thing existed (or was even possible!) then why go looking in the first place? So meanwhile, while there's a party going on in the netherworld, there was a whole host of members who had no clue. For them it wasn't a choice to see if it was interesting enough or not because that option really wasn't there in reality in the first place. Unless of course, you just happened to jump through all the right digital hoops and "accidently" discover it.

Look, I don't mean to be the poster boy for this or anything. Just throwing some stuff on the table that I think is being misunderstood. That's all. :)

bigbarada
09-04-2002, 01:00 AM
I always felt that keeping the section a secret was a mistake that would come back to bite everyone in the butt, eventually. The spirit of the Trading Card section was that it was an area of Star Wars collecting that has been pretty much dead for years, thus funny threads would be placed there spontaneously and the entire section was sort of 'hiding in plain site' as it was. Most people, not interested in trading cards, would simply scroll past the section and be none the wiser of the little gem of goofiness that was waiting inside.

Anyways, when Cell Block SSG was announced (and I will admit, that I was one of the initial people invited) I was a little surprised at the whole secret aspect and felt a little guilty about it (like SWAFMAN, the notion brought back many memories of high school and how cruel other kids can be). I would post there infrequently and somewhat sporadically (in fact the entire section went dormant for so long with no one seeming to visit it at all, that I was truly surprised when I saw that it still existed a couple months ago). However, I must admit that I felt good to blow the doors off the place with my earlier posts in this thread. My guilty consciense has been relieved somewhat. And for the two people that I made rude comments about in the CB, I apologize.

IMO, the section should never have been secret and putting up a password protection will just make things worse.

In defense of the Cell Block though, the only criteria for belonging to the Cell Block was wanting to be there.

Emperor Howdy
09-04-2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by rynobot
After reviewing Cellblock SSG I have decided to leave SSG and never post here or log on here again. The only time I will view the site is to check the PA collector club. I'm sorry but after seeing how people post pointless replies and topics I see that I do not belong here at SSG. The people that post in the Cell Block are men amungst boys, and I don't need to know that their is some exclusive club here at SSG that feels that they are better then the people that do not post there.

rynobot! Wait! Don't go! Your informative and humorous posts are a real asset to the SSG community!! :rolleyes:

DarthBrandon
09-04-2002, 03:05 AM

Nope, never felt odd at all posting in there. That was always meant to be one of the ways to find the place. They figured that anyone that found it, either would stay because they had an odd sense of humor that wouldn't fly in the regular forums, and could get Sir Steve in trouble for the adult humor. Or that they would consider it not their kind of place, and just move on. I have one of those odd senses of humor, if you notice alot of my posts I have a sarcastic smartarse quality. That's why I fit in, and why I stuck around. :)

It never was meant to be a place to talk about people that frustrated you. Most of us were vocal enough to say what we were thinking in the main forums anyway. It was a place to kick back, have a drink, and just run around and just babble on about odd stuff. Just check back into the older posts, and you will see that it was never a bad place. It wasn't until a new member of the forums started pushing on peoples nerves, and we needed a release, so that we wouldn't skull drug him. So it became a place to vent, so that it wasn't done on the forums. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I found C/B only a few months ago thanks to another forumite who P/M me a link to it. I went in and posted a few times to take a breather from forums as another member was giving me high blood pressure at the time. I found nothing wrong with it and like I said, I only posted a few times to have some fun with it. One of my favorite threads is the Lanny thread, so if you haven't read it go there and check it out along with the pants thread. Like JarJarBinks and others have posted, the C/B can be found in many ways so it really wasn't that secret, and if you liked it, you stayed and if not, you left. I just liked the fact that other than arguing with a certain forumite, you could go somewhere and read or post on some really funny threads without getting all worked up. :) I used to love reading and posting on the forums, but as of late I find that alot of threads are turning into flame wars and what not. i.e. (running way off topic) I guess C/B was just a place to relax and then try and go back and muttle through some of the threads. I'm sure that most who take notice (JJB), will see that alot of us have had less posts in the last few months due to some of the problems on the forums. I love S.W. and this site, but I'm really not into arguing over silly things that are not even the topic of discussion in a particular thread, and that is why I spent some time behind bars in C/B. Sorry if this was long and boring to some, but it is my opinion on the topic at hand.:D

QLD
09-04-2002, 09:06 AM
I guess I will actually chime in for a moment.

It's not like we were having barbeques and giving away free figures in there. 90% of everything was a link to a weird website, bad jokes, and warped stories. It was all drivel. It was stuff that would have been closed if it were in the regular forums. What I am trying to say, the whole place was a supreme waste of time.

Now I enjoyed posting there, and yes I was invited. probably because I am a sick, sick man, who has a warped sense of humor and a warped user-name. I never felt "too cool for school" as we are being accused of. Maybe a few did, but I never saw it.

I could see everyone getting in a tizzy if there was really something going on there, but there wasn't. It was plain silliness.

Bottom line to me is this, no matter how much I enjoy this place, (which presently is a lot), it is a website. It is a diversion. It is a distraction from the daily grind. And though I have made many friends here, I am not going to take anything personally that happens here. The thought that I was a member of the "cool crowd" on an internet website won't buy me a cup of coffee. But it will get me beaten up in just about every city in America.

Oh no, some people on my Star Wars site don't like me, WHO CARES! I do not understand why people take so much that happens here personally.

Anyway, I will continue to post here, and remain the same, because none of this bothers me very much at all.

Have a nice day!

Patient Zero
09-04-2002, 09:52 AM
What was the point of it all?

Well for those of you who remember some of my old insane/ridiculous rantings, you would know that I made a mess of alot of threads, wheither by throwing them completely off topic or confusing the hell out of people (Ketchup, Weeeeeeee!, etc). I was invited to CB because I had shown that I would not be offended by some of the posts there that could have possibly been seen as being in quite bad taste and, in my opinion, because I needed to be separated from the other children.

There are two forums here: A family Star Wars forum (that has a set of rules as to how it should be run) and a forum for big dorks with twisted and offensive concepts on what passes as humor these days. Do you see the problem yet? The two have conflicting rules and guidelines. Would you let your 9 year old child talk to a bunch of dirty old men when they were claiming to be in an all ages forum? But the problem here really is not age, instead the ability to not be offended or negatively influenced by behavior such as that in the CB. This is why it was kept a secret for the most part and people were only invited when they had shown that they would not be offened. Not because it was a "members only" club, but because it was inappropriate for an all ages forum.

I am not here to argue this point, only to try to show people that it is foolish to be offended by not being invited. Especially when said person has only a few hundred posts. I have become saddened by the state of both the SW forum and the CB forum lately and this may very well be my last post here.

Somewhere in the universe,
Jonna

bigbarada
09-04-2002, 01:36 PM
Hey G.o.Jonna, I thought you were invited to the Cell Block cuz Dar 'Argol thought you were a girl.:eek::crazed:

jeddah
09-04-2002, 02:02 PM
It's funny how the illuminati who were firmly ensconced in the secret forum seem to be decrying the concerns of those excluded (for that is what all non-members are). Funnier still that as unremarkable as they seem to claim it was, they do not seem to have rejected or vetoed it.

I feel exactly the same as SWAFFY. It was a divisive, unfair and silly invention that was bound to be discovered at some point. When I signed up for SSG as a refugee from Galoobs old BBS I thought I was registering for one club/forum, unaware that in future days there may be an inner sanctum to which I would not have access.

The secret members can downplay this all they want, but then, they are not experiencing the awkward feelings that some of us are. I would not wish to be a member of some secret society - I'm 30 and over it, besides, I've got email if I want to point someone in a direction of a weird website or moan about people.

I'm particularly disappointed to learn that members I share a friendship and MM cameraderie with were carrying on in there too.

I almost look forward to the next debate when Christian ethics is raised, and all you secret-member pious mortals who claim to be righteous God fearers git on yer high hosses about something. I shall remind you of your whitewash....

jeddah

JEDIpartner
09-04-2002, 02:24 PM
You know... when I started this thread... I was just talking about the negative attitudes about posters and the hostility. I'm really quite taken aback at how this thread has turned into a thread crying foul about the Cellblock! Yeesh!

This was never even my intent!

Beast
09-04-2002, 02:31 PM
I totally understand JEDIpartnr. But you know how some people can be. Frankly everyone is blowing the damn cellblock out of proportion, just like QLD said. It was never that big of a deal, and the people that didn't find it until way after it was formed like myself, didn't make this damn big of a deal about it.

So, you weren't invited and you never stumbled across it. It's not somthing to get your panties in a bunch over. Hell, why not start flaming the mods because they have their little moderator hideway that they can let their hair down in. Not quite the same thing, but you didn't have to work for SSG to find the Cellblock. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
09-04-2002, 02:40 PM
i agree, JJB. i don't really care what the mods or you have, just as long as we have what we have now and through the update....
h

Darth Cruel
09-04-2002, 02:48 PM
Although I believe that it ebbs and flows like a tide, I have seen negative posts on this site since I first started visiting back in either '96 or '97 (can't remember for sure). I just ignore them and I have adopted a policy of not posting in angry threads even if the comments are directed at me as they have been in the past. It is a simple enough policy to maintain. In truth, though, I am entertained by some of the silliness in these kinds of posts. I read some things that make me wonder how the person who posted the message couldn't be completely ashamed of themselves for the ludicrous posts.

And I go to other 'sites where the bickering is 10 times as bad and 3 times as frequent. In fact there is one other 'site that the only reason I go there is to see who is being angry over something stupid each day and have a good laugh.

Lord Malakite
09-04-2002, 02:49 PM
So, you weren't invited and you never stumbled across it. It's not somthing to get your panties in a bunch over. Hell, why not start flaming the mods because they have their little moderator hideway that they can let their hair down in. Not quite the same thing, but you didn't have to work for SSG to find the Cellblock. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Well, I took a look at Cellblock JarJar. Still haven't found a hidden moderator section that you keep speaking of though, and I'm a mod.

jeddah
09-04-2002, 03:02 PM
I totally understand JEDIpartnr. But you know how some people can be. Frankly everyone is blowing the damn cellblock out of proportion, just like QLD said. It was never that big of a deal, and the people that didn't find it until way after it was formed like myself, didn't make this damn big of a deal about it.

see my post above

I'm not holding the members or Mods responsible. I'm also not getting my - ahem "panties in a bunch" - I'm reporting things as they are. SS should have never allowed this to happen, at least not in such a clandestine fashion as he has, without expecting a backlash of sorts. Of course, it is his forum and he can do as he chooses, but a certain standard is sadly absent here.

Here's a flash JJB; this is about emotions, not reason, so you can save you wide-eyed disbelief as there is no accounting for people's feelings. The shoulder-shirk won't work on this and crying "Mod-foul" as you seem to have done twice in this thread is pointless.

I know the first thing I would've done had I been approached by an existing Cell member: I would've emailed SS and asked for the closure of it. The people who used it obviously felt there was a need for secrecy or they would not have used it. That's just me, though. And as I've said above, this affects people differently.

It offered some of you a cowards way of bashing Deadeye (for example) and quite honestly, I am shocked at the lack of restraint and excess of baiting that I have read in the Deadeye thread.

The accusations on the other forums (Rebelscum? TFN?) about the precious nature of these seems to be justifying themselves.

And finally JJB, one thing popped into mind when I read your typical post; If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always had. I hope you can appreciate that.

jeddah

Beast
09-04-2002, 03:21 PM
Well, the mods are responsible. It never was going to be a hidden area, as you likely have already read. And then it was made one, because it was felt that kids shouldn't stumble across the area. Unless you believe that kids should read anything, no matter if they don't understand it.

Yes, it's about emotions. The fact that many of you are far to emotional about a trivial little thing as the Cellblock. I didn't cry mod foul, but you see to be. Frankly, if this is such a big problem for you, maybe SSG isn't the place for you.

Crying foul and boo-hoo because the Cellblock existed is just petty. But fine, if you want the forums crowded with a bunch of nonsense and crazy posts, then that is what you get. The cellblock was meant as a place where the people that post and enjoy ready wacky stuff was allowed to run around free.

DeadEye is no longer worth my time to discuss. My feelings are well known, and frankly I said alot worse stuff about him in the regular forums then was ever contained in the Cellblock. The Cellblock, if you would actually quit complaining about and read back before the whole DeadEye situation wasn't a place to complain about people, but to let your hair down in a way that wasn't allowed in the regular forums.

As for the comments of baiting and some secret conspiracy against DeadEye, that is bullcrap extreme. We all just felt the same way about him, and he brought out the worst in people. People that were not at the time, and until now didn't even know about the Cellblock dispised him as well. His braggert posts, egomaniac signature, and rude bashing twords forum members brought down the fury of many many posters. :)

As for Rebelscum and TFN, they don't have much right to talk. Both those places are so full of two-faced vipers, and attacks on people for their opinions, that if they feel the need to comment on SSG, then maybe they should open their own eyes and look at the total clusterfudge that they post at. Atleast the people and the mods here do a good job keeping this place a decent place to visit.

Frankly, I don't care what you think of me. So your final thought directed at me falls upon deaf ears. I've taken more crap on these forums then you think, and your little comments don't mean a lick to me. So again, if you want to whine about the cellblock, have at it. But don't act like it was some personal insult that you weren't invited, and you never found your way in. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
09-04-2002, 03:33 PM
weeeeeeeeeeee?

Beast
09-04-2002, 03:38 PM
I concur, Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
09-04-2002, 03:43 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

PENDO!

QLD
09-04-2002, 03:50 PM
When you're a kid and you wanna go weeeeee, but you ain't got drugs yet.....

jeddah
09-04-2002, 03:51 PM
You're just being rude now, JJB. I expect no more of you; from your last post you seem to be so proficient at it. I won't fuel your apparent guilt any more than I would try to hold a conversation with an answerphone.

Please re-read my posts if you can be bothered, and see that I am not directing ire at anyone other than the owner of this site.

You are a very defensive young man! (no disingenuous smilies here)

jeddah
[edit: I don't think you've actually understood my last words if you feel I'm having a pop at you!]

Beast
09-04-2002, 03:54 PM
Heffer Wolfe: "Ok, repeat after me. Wee-Wee." :D (Rocko's Modern Life)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
09-04-2002, 04:15 PM
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeee

jeddah have you gone in and even read any of the stuff in there? i.e. Pants thread, Lannny etc. It's just a place to have some fun and make some jokes without worrying about offending anyone. i.e. adults and kids alike. :D It was there to be found by all and on occasion someone let you know about it in a P.M., nothing really special about the place, it was just somewhere to have fun without hurting someone's feelings or offending them with jokes that they may take offence to. If you didn't like it in there, then you could always leave and go back to the forums.
:)

LTBasker
09-04-2002, 04:51 PM
I really don't see a point about the whole controversey over Cell Block.

It was a fun place to hang out for people who found it, were there already or were invited. Why were people invited? Because someone felt like inviting them because they thought that that person would enjoy it.

People blew off steam there about other people true, but then again I'm sure they do in the mods section and just think, if it's a mods section they aren't limited to what they can say, and yes we were, if we had alot of steam to blow off then we did it in group IM chats that we had going. Heck someone in the chat wasn't even in Cell Block and we invited them in and they only have 176 posts. No much of a top poster posistion is it?

If everyone had known about Cell Block, then the only special thing about it would have been not getting stuff added to your post count. If it had been a public place then it wouldn't of been a fun secret and it would've just been a regular forum that didn't have a direct link. Where would the fun in that be? For those who enjoy Cell Block, stumbling across it is pretty fun.

If people were hurt by us bringing jokes out into the forum that were related to jokes in Cell Block because you feel like we made you look like fools well just remember that the exact same thing could've been done over IM, e-mail etc. and I know the point is that it wasn't, but it's nothing to get hurt over. No one was flamed by the jokes, in fact it shouldn't even of been taken personally as it is an internet forum.

The point is: The Cell Block wasn't a "secret society" formed for the sake of annoying others. It was there for people to get along with a certain sense of humor that wasn't allowed in the regular forum, it was taken a bit too far I admit with some of the stuff, but it's really nothing to get emotional over as it is an internet forum. There are secret sections throughout nearly all message boards, should you really dwell on what goes on in there, or just move along with your posting?
True there were flames thrown, but to an extent, we were still being moderated.

darthvyn
09-04-2002, 06:58 PM
i've been quiet about this thus far...

i was one of the few that was invited in, becuase i am a weird guy...

i, too, was an outcast in school, and can appreciate the views of people in similar situations.

i won't downplay the cellblock. it was a great place, where all your base are belong to us, and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and lanny reign supreme.

i tried to stay away from as much of the deadeye bashing as possible. for the most part, anything i had to say was to the effect that everyone should chill out because it was making the whole place unfun for me... not just the cellblock.

i am sorry if we are viewed as elitist. all i know is i'm not a senior memeber here, i just have a weird sense of humor.

i am sorry that people feel like leaving because we had a place to post earth shattering things like

paraphrase
huh, poopies...

huh, huh...

without bothering people who would be annoyed by that.

but for the most part,

i am sorry that there will be so many people that never know how fun it could've been.

i am NOT sorry that i had fun there.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

QLD
09-04-2002, 07:11 PM
You know what ****es me off around here?

The smell of those darn urinal cakes in the bathroom!
PEEEEWWW!!!!

derek
09-04-2002, 07:18 PM
what irked me about this secret forum is that some there were saying things, like, "We'll never let 'so-and-so' in here. discussing issues with him is pointless, now let's just annoy him, etc...", and then he was compaired to another forum member everyone has had a little trouble with, which is absurd.

then a vote was taken by cell block members deciding who to let in, and who to keep out. that should of been done by private message if done at all. i don't so much have a problem with a "secret sir steve club", i don't care to be a part of it, i just think it should of been kept a better secret if it were to exist.

and the second dead eye found his way in there, all those posts ripping him should of been deleted. i've had my problems with him, but that stuff should of been gone when he got in.

Jedi Drew
09-04-2002, 07:26 PM
O.K. I'm over this whole "Cellblock" issue. But....I was just wondering (my wife says I ask too many questions) who's idea was it to create this "Cellblock" area ???? Was it the Mods or Sir Steve or who?????:confused: :confused:

Dryanta
09-04-2002, 07:43 PM
I guess I'm going to have to go and actually read what's over there.I admit I never did.
If there were votes going on then it really does shine a bad light on at least what it had become.I don't know who participated in that kind of thing,And I don't think I need to.Nexu is here with me and he confirmed the vote thing.
That in it self is pretty telling of what it had become.
I think we can all agree that being invited has a higher probability than stumbleing across it.Now the invites are up for Vote?It does come across as elitist.Certain people have decided thay are somehow in a position to pass approval or dis approval on others here?Not good guys.Not good at all.I'm sure that that was not the intention but step back and look at this thing.How does it look from a distance or even better from a friends POV.
Blown out of proportion?Yes by some.Down played?By some.
If SS had decided he wanted an area such as this then he himsel;f should been the only one allowed to make invitations.It's his site and he'd have every right to do so.But the idea of other users,long time or not,passing a form a judgement on others and saying that it's findable so not as bad as it sounds doesn't hold much water.Sorry guys.I'm sure it was exactly what you all say it was,but it seems it turned into something else and it should have been stopped.
I have appologized for my my knowing about it and just ignoring it,not stopping to think of how some of you would feel about it.That's as far as I will go.I have no intention of leaving this sight because of this.And I hold no ill will towards anyone here for any reason.Let's move on and be done with this.It's an unfortunate incident between friends and should be buried and left alone.

darthvyn
09-04-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Dryanta

If there were votes going on then it really does shine a bad light on at least what it had become.I don't know who participated in that kind of thing,And I don't think I need to.Nexu is here with me and he confirmed the vote thing.
That in it self is pretty telling of what it had become.
I think we can all agree that being invited has a higher probability than stumbleing across it.Now the invites are up for Vote?It does come across as elitist.Certain people have decided thay are somehow in a position to pass approval or dis approval on others here?

i honestly don't recall any voting at all. not saying it didn't happen, and i'm not going to go through all the threads in there now and look for it, but it really wasn't like that at all. if there was any voting, it was in the hopes of discerning if a certain person would be into what was going on there, not if they "deserved to be amongst the higher-ups."

and invites were far and few between - strangely, the most popular way for new inmates to find the 'block was for someone to ride in on Emperor Jargo's tailfeathers...

i was invited because my sense of humor jived with theirs, and they knew i was too stupid to stumble upon it by myself... (i think, anyway...) actually, i wouldn't have found it because i hardly ever look at profiles to see where people last posted...

Nexu
09-04-2002, 08:42 PM
There was voting going on. I can link you, if you need me too. Someone would ask about someone, and everyone else would chime in, and say "Yeah, go ahead," or "Nah."

Jargo
09-04-2002, 08:43 PM
Yeah, that was strange.......

"don't look Ethel - Ethel don't look....... "

Dar' Argol
09-04-2002, 09:11 PM
There was voting going on. I can link you, if you need me too. Someone would ask about someone, and everyone else would chime in, and say "Yeah, go ahead," or "Nah."

We did that if we were not sure about someone, trying to get an opinion, or find out if someone in their had a serious problem with that person. Or maybe a few ppl knew they would not enjoy this area. Did you ever think of that Nexu??? No you didn't! There was no voting going on, it was more a suggestion and most ppl replyed with a "Sure, go ahead". There was never a tally vote - 15 yea 9 nay:rolleyes:.

And has anyone gone down to the bottom of that forum, and selected to see all the threads from the begining??? Has anyone traced the history of the CellBlock??? What threads you see when you enter are only the current ones from the last 30 days. Before you look down upon any of the CellBlockers, look at the history of the place. Get informed.

This is ridiculous, petty, and truely sad. You complain about not being invited to something that you never knew existed. So are you going to get offended now if you find a secret section of the US government??? Will you feel violated and enraged about this??? What about other message boards that some forumited might have that you have not been invited to?? Are you upset about that??? This is childish! The villagers are at the castles walls and the Master has left. I say put it out in the open now, or nuke the whole darn thing and have an end to it!

jobi
09-04-2002, 09:22 PM

Dude what are you doing??? Haven't you done enough?

Nexu
09-04-2002, 09:23 PM
I didn't say that the votes were tallied, but people posted their opinion on if they felt the person beloned in there.

Nexu
09-04-2002, 09:24 PM
Jobi, I am posting facts. Excuse me for doing so. :rolleyes:

QLD
09-04-2002, 09:33 PM
You know what, I can't lie anymore.

We were an elitist society.

Our main goal was to rid SSG of all other forumites forever.

We didn't invite any of you because you are all losers, geeks, dorks, and pansies, and you just aren't cool enough.

We are definately "too cool for school"

So give me your lunch money now, or I am going to give you a black eye.

:rolleyes:

jobi
09-04-2002, 09:34 PM
Jobi, I am posting facts. Excuse me for doing so. :rolleyes:

I'm not starting a fight with you but you were as bad as any over there, then when it gets "blown" open you sit there and stir the pot by agreeing with everyone that is angry. You even offer to post links. Don't you feel the slightest bit responsible for all of this? I mean can't we all just drop this "Cellblockers think they are so cool" stuff and get back to what this forum is about, Star Wars. And everyone that wants to leave because of the cellblock, don't...It was not a big deal, people were invited because they were "friends" or they found it themselves it wasn't a conspiracy to deprive anybody anything. Let's just drop this whole mess it's not worth being upset over.

sith_killer_99
09-04-2002, 09:39 PM
We'll bury the hatchet......but leave the handle sticking out.;)

JK

Sir Steve set it up a while ago (I guess). I found out about it as soon as I became a moderator, last week.:crazed: And I've been here for YEARS! So what? No skin off my back.

As for the vote thing, I have to agree with Dar' Argol. Some were not invited for good reasons, such as age. I know I wouldn't want my kid(s) reading some of the stuff in there.

Just food for thought.

I understand that peoples feelings got hurt and that is regretable.

Now, this issue has become exhausted. IMHO:

THE HORSE IS DEAD...

decaying...

rotting...

I personally have read too much about this issue. I will not post any more about it, and I will ignore most threads pertaining to it.

in other words...

HAVE A NICE DAY:D

P.S. Sorry about the HUGE letters, I'm just learning how to do this stuff.:crazed:

Beast
09-04-2002, 09:39 PM
Yep, exactly what QLD said. We all wore leather jackets with the club name on it, and went around flashing gang symbols at each other, and threw darts at forum member's pictures. And plus, the reason I was so nice and helpful in the regular forums was also a secret plot.

I was cozying up to get your addresses and then we were gonna ride up on our hogs and break down your door and beat the hell out of you and steal your belongings. Then we were gonna ride off to the next address, our evil plot has been revealed. I'm nothing more then a dirty evil spy. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jobi
09-04-2002, 09:56 PM
First NEXU gives out the "key" to our clubhouse then Jar tells of our plans...... It's curtains...curtains for the stool pigeons. :D

Beast
09-04-2002, 09:59 PM
You and the gang will never get me Jobi, I'm turning states evidence. *Jar Jar runs off with all the secret plans in his breifcase, along with all the Cellblock's toilet paper and urinal cakes.* :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar "Stool Pigeon" Binks

Nexu
09-04-2002, 09:59 PM
Nope. I invited Deadeye. I wasn't the one who told anything about how to get in.

Hellboy
09-04-2002, 10:09 PM
Wow I must say that this has made for a great 8 page read even if it isn't what JEDIpartnr had originally intended this thread to be about. I think the whole idea is kinda cool but it is unfortunate that a few members got their feelings hurt.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-05-2002, 12:01 AM
Getting back to the true intent of this thread:

(stands up on soapbox, picks up microphone)

From the immortal words of Mr. Burt Bacarach

What the world, needs now
is love, sweet love.
It's the only thing,
that there's just too little of.

is love, sweet love.
No, not just for some
but for everyone.

Lord we don't need another mountain
There are mountains and hillsides
enough to climb
There are oceans and rivers
enough to cross
enough to last for all time.

is love, sweet love.
It's the only thing,

is love, sweet love.
No, not just for some
but for everyone.

Lord we don't need another meadow
There are cornfields and wheatfields
enough to grow
There are sunbeams and moonbeams
enough to shine
So listen Lord, if you want to kno-w

is love, sweet love.
It's the only thing,

is love, sweet love.
No, not just for some
but for everyone.

(gets off soapbox, puts down microphone)

Let's let this issue die. The secrecy about the cellblock is now over. That's a step forward. Certain members have made their peace towards each other. Another step forward. If you find that it isn't a place for you, then by all means ignore it. We cannot change what has happened in the past, but we can try to right our wrongs and I think we have started to.

(gets back on soapbox, picks up microphone)

What the wo--- (gets pelted by tomatoes)

Adam
09-05-2002, 12:12 AM
Hellboy- You pretty much expressed my thoughts better than I can this late in the day. What's the big deal? Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm at these forums to discuss and learn about star wars toys. The movie forums and even this forum are icing on the cake to me. While I've been viewing this site since around '98, I didn't actually register and start posting till this year. So I haven't been around long enough to make friends with people in the Cell Block. Oh well. It doesn't affect me, or my above stated reason for being here in the first place. It would have been nice to get in, since I appreciate sarcasm greatly for some reason, and that seems to be the focus of the CB. Well that and nonsense posts. But it doesn't anger me, and I won't leave because it.

Emperor Howdy
09-05-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
What was the point of it all?
There are two forums here: A family Star Wars forum (that has a set of rules as to how it should be run) and a forum for big dorks with twisted and offensive concepts on what passes as humor these days. Do you see the problem yet? The two have conflicting rules and guidelines. Would you let your 9 year old child talk to a bunch of dirty old men when they were claiming to be in an all ages forum? But the problem here really is not age, instead the ability to not be offended or negatively influenced by behavior such as that in the CB. This is why it was kept a secret for the most part and people were only invited when they had shown that they would not be offened. Not because it was a "members only" club, but because it was inappropriate for an all ages forum.

Exaaaaaaactly. I've been on SSG for probably over 4 years now.....and have been banned several times. I have more permanently suspended user names than some of you have chin hairs. I could wallpaper my bathroom with JT's warning letters. All because some of my threads/posts were considered inappropriate for the normal forums. So, you can imagine what a breath of fresh air it was to have an alternate location where risque content was, within reason, acceptable. It wasn't a "secret society". The problem is, every curious SSG member would have been peeking in had there been a public link.....and you better believe that some stiff in the group would have been offended and insisted upon it's closing. Like now, for example. Quite frankly, I could care a less at this point if it gets shut down. Now that everyone knows about it, it's destined to become as kiddy and lame as the regular forum section. Let's face it, some of you are about as much fun as an enema.

Emperor Howdy
09-05-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by jeddah

I'm not holding the members or Mods responsible. I'm also not getting my - ahem "panties in a bunch" - I'm reporting things as they are. SS should have never allowed this to happen, at least not in such a clandestine fashion as he has, without expecting a backlash of sorts. Of course, it is his forum and he can do as he chooses, but a certain standard is sadly absent here.

I know the first thing I would've done had I been approached by an existing Cell member: I would've emailed SS and asked for the closure of it. The people who used it obviously felt there was a need for secrecy or they would not have used it. That's just me, though. And as I've said above, this affects people differently.

jeddah

Please refer to "stiff" and "as much fun as an enema" section above. :rolleyes:

plasticfetish
09-05-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
Let's face it, some of you are about as much fun as an enema.

Wait ... does that mean ARE or AREN'T fun?

Beast
09-05-2002, 01:32 AM
I don't know E. Howdy, I would have went with "humorless berk" and "as much fun as genital warts", myself. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Emperor Howdy
09-05-2002, 01:41 AM
Why would I say that? I LOVE my genital warts! They're a blast!

.........and I just said that outloud, didn't I? :stupid:

notafinga
09-05-2002, 01:44 AM
ummmm...
anyone see an AT-AT party vessel trudging through here?

Nope?

uuuuh, didn't think so...

I have actually been a member for awhile (from the old forums), but don't post terribly often due to lack of time. One inevitable bit of truth remains, however.

I always seem to miss the 'good' stuff.
Flame Wars?
Elitist Clubs with secret entrances?
Dead Eye bashing?

This isn't some run-of-the-mill forum we're runnin' here, this is a Hollywood film.

If we could just pool all of our collective efforts and channel these rifts into some creative medium, I'd say there's a lucritive movie deal in this for all of us...

Mar10Sir
09-05-2002, 02:08 AM
Just an opinion...

First, I haven't read all that's been posted in this thread BUT besides some pointless posts by some users (mostly newcomers who seem to be posting garbage just for fun) I think that the moderators here are being a bit too GI with the forum rules.

For instance, the Food and Quote Boukas had been moved because they were "not really general discussion" and one thread about personal beliefs (concerning religion, paranormal phenomena and other stuff) was closed because it "might 'cause some problems". Come ON!!!

I mean... if it's General Discussion, well... that WAS general discussion, and as long as the people who post do so maturely and respectfully I don't think there should've been a problem. I personally found it too blunt the way Sirsteve closed the thread. Just... WHAMMO!!!

I might be wrong 'cause I didn't read all the posts, though. Maybe Sirsteve did catch something I didn't, but still I'd have expected a bit of an explanation (like JediTricks usually does) before just shutting a thread. Idunno'... I feel a bit of uptightedness lately around.

Is there a great disturbance in the Force? Just a humble opinion, not intended to stir any controversy. My respect and gratitude to Sirsteve and all of the guys who keep this site up and running.

Emperor Howdy
09-05-2002, 02:21 AM
Mar10Sir.....the reason he shut it down was because the last time a thread about religious beliefs got started (and not too long ago, incidently), it turned into a rather IMMATURE shouting match. Unfortunately, the old "don't talk about religion or politics" adage is the only recourse here. I've seen many 'o debates turn sour 'round these parts..............

2-1B
09-05-2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
Still haven't found a hidden moderator section that you keep speaking of though, and I'm a mod.

How cliquish and elitist of them. :rolleyes:

jeddah
09-05-2002, 07:14 AM
Enema? It seems no-one is in need of an enema, the amount of contemptuous verbal diarrhoea that I have read testifies to that!

Luckily I am in the enviable position of being as completely oblivious to yelps from an unwhelped pup as that self same unwhelped pup is to manners and forum decorum. I guess you will understand when you mature a little that there are certain ways to treat people whom you do not know, and that applause from the peanut gallery amounts to nothing. Someone who shoots first, asks questions later is setting themselves up for a great fall. I may even be around to see it. As a BBS fugee and approx. 3 year member of SSG, I have seen grunts come and go, the only constant seems to have been the friendships I have made in relation to MMs and AF. I don’t really need anymore cyber-friends and my visits here are to source info on collecting (which Hasbro has butchered my enthusiasm for).

Brandon, thanks for your reply, it’s one of the few tempered ones that I have read and although I don’t really agree that it is no big deal, I appreciate your POV. My POV is that I am not really bothered about my feelings being hurt. I am concerned and troubled with the fact that a secret forum existed. Elitist or not, I don’t care, it’s fundamentally wrong. As for me visiting. I had a brief tour yesterday and agree, there was nothing there that warranted my attention; all too much kewel youf culture and backslapping going on for my tastes, but every child needs a play pen, I suppose, and at least one is in desperate need of a dummy.

LTBASKER: - “I really don't see a point about the whole controversey over Cell Block. ”

Like I said, those from within are unlikely to be able to empathise with those on the outside. In fact Dryanta seems to be the only one so far who has a clue of what potential damage could be done.

“If everyone had known about Cell Block, then the only special thing about it would have been not getting stuff added to your post count.”

So it was something special :confused: ? Your final words on there being secret message boards on all forums comes as a shock to me – I guess I’m just not suspicious enough.

Dar’ Argol, over the past months, I have watched you destroy any last ounce of credibility you may have had with your unconsidered and frequently stupid litany. In your favour you clearly have a passion about your views but unfortunately enthusiasm does not equate to sense.

“….get informed” . Are you literate or do you simply scan-read the posts? This is not about what was posted in the salad days of the secret forum, it is about maintaining site and owner integrity. This is indefensible and the rallying cries of ‘storm in a teacup’ are a vain attempt to brush this under the carpet.

“this is ridiculous, petty, and truely sad…..” You have an undeveloped, ignorant and incoherent argument. I for one most certainly do voice my concerns over the quangos and secret bureaux within the governments as there is absolutely no justification in it. For a moderator, you clearly have no concept of responsibility in this environment.

“……or nuke the whole darn thing” It is exactly that kind of attitude that leads to disharmony and abuse of power. It is also the kind of attitude that probably echoes in the fundamentalists ears when they are planning attacks against targets such as the twin towers.
I’d like to clear one thing up; JJB this discussion isn’t about you. Your actions show that you find it hard to see past your own inflated ego, but please respect this request from a humble outsider asking you to limit your posts in this thread to a relevant argument.

One last question can someone tell me this;

when does a fully operational secret forum begin to serve the collecting community on the main boards?

Thanks for listening.

jeddah

scruffziller
09-05-2002, 08:46 AM
Dang this thread grew real fast. Better post something before it shuts down. My opinion, allowing certain forumites to stay on this site.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-05-2002, 10:03 AM
Mar10Sir.....the reason he shut it down was because the last time a thread about religious beliefs got started (and not too long ago, incidently), it turned into a rather IMMATURE shouting match. Unfortunately, the old "don't talk about religion or politics" adage is the only recourse here. I've seen many 'o debates turn sour 'round these parts..............

With all due respect, EH, I disagree with you about that particular thread on religion. I was in the thick of the discussion for a good portion of the thread and although it did get heated at times I don't recall it ever getting to the point where rampant name calling was the norm. Actually, I found it quite refreshing to discuss some weighty matters other than those related to SW.

I'm sure there will always be some that have to resort to the juvenile when discussing such passionate subjects, but I don't think that should ruin it for the rest of us. If the mods can be objective about the quality of the posts of such a thread they could weed out the namecallers and leave those with valid arguments for the rest of us to read and respond to.

It's being afraid to post something out of fear of offending someone that would make me hesitant to keep visiting the forums on SSG. I don't want to out-and-out attack or belittle someone but I'd like to voice my opinion now and again on weightier matters without the fear that my post will be edited or deleted solely on the content of my views.

plasticfetish
09-05-2002, 11:49 AM
Well ... It would be a shame if this thread was shut down right now, because (and perhaps I'm wrong) it doesn't really feel that too many people addressed the general idea of JEDIpartnr's initial post. It seemed like a good post, with a good sentiment.

I'll quickly say first, I've only been posting to these forums for a short while ... I'd been in and out of the site a few times over the years looking for Star Wars info starting back before episode 1 was released and around about the time the POTF2 figures came out. That said, I never considered posting to the forums ... and only really took a look at them before AOTC came out to see what people where saying about it. I'll start off by kissing some collective @ss ... these forums whether you are loving them or hating them are some of the most interesting and well balanced that I've seen in my 8(ish) years on the Internet. Even at their worst (which is a relative term) you all manage to communicate in a manner totally appropriate to this or any kind of community. Sometimes people laugh together, sometimes they argue, sometimes they complain together and most of the time it all just works out.

I am at a total loss for an explanation, but it seems that there are many "senior" members of these forums that have become more and more unhappy with things that have gone on here over the past couple of months.
I have just heard from so many people that they are unhappy about some of the newer "upstarts" being so negative and "foul."
I think you give yourself a pretty fair "explanation" when you say that there is a problem with some of the newer "upstarts" being so negative and "foul." As a newer "upstart" though ... I would wonder if the problem is more about the negativity or about having to share your playground with new kids. (BTW terms like "upstarts" are generally patronizing and would tend to put the people you might want to be communicating with "off" before they get a chance to absorb all of your message.) As for negative and "foul" ... sure there's a lot of that and now that you have more opinions and personalities becoming involved in the community, you're just going to have to deal with a few (maybe many) voices that you don't particularly like the sound of.

I have only run across the negative posts and just have to shake my head when I see them. I think it is absolutely sad that one would want to join a forum like this- one where we celebrate the joys of the films, collecting, gaming and roleplaying. This is where we should have a sense of community... a place where we all feel accepted and understood. Can we discuss this stuff with out co-workers? Our parents? Our friends? I, for one, only have two friends with whom I can discuss this hobby to any extent. I consider that a very lucky circumstance... HOWEVER-- for many, this is the ONLY place where they can converse and share and I don't want to see that change or get marred.
This is a super point! But, it's not ALL "negative" posts is it? Quite a few of them, perhaps the majority, are not. Maybe the objectionable are more obvious because they don't fit into a preconceived vision of how this sort of community should look and act as a whole. I would be surprised if I didn't see someone freak out on occasion or have to read a few purely chaotic nonsensical posts. Considering that this is one of the few kinds of communities where it really does no physical harm ... is it such a big deal?

This is a place where I come to relax, enjoy, discuss and, yes, SOMETIMES criticise quality issues of the products produced (be it the films or the tie-ins). Please do your part to respect other members of the forums and not to provoke fights or these so-called "flame wars." If more of what you feel and say about this hobby and about these movies is negative rather than positive, perhaps you shouldn't be a part of this place. After all, it was designed for those who LIKE the hobby and the films ...
Again a super point! I would hope that after everything is said and done ... At the end of the day most people realize that we're all here because we want to be. Because there is something here that we all "like" and share. As for respect ... I would hope and assume that this goes without saying. As for "flame wars" ...
I find that very very often, as a community there tends to be too much emphasis here placed on the importance of NEVER arguing or NEVER expressing disagreement. Sure, the main purpose of these forums isn't really to nit-pick each other to death, but I think it's unrealistic to start waving your arms in the air in a panic the minute two or more people begin to debate or disagree on a subject. I jokingly posted once that there should be a "Thunderdome" like forum where 2 or more people can go and just have at it, but for the most part ... I think things tend to work themselves out. It only really becomes a problem when the rest of the community stands around hooting and crying to blow things out of proportion.

I AM asking everyone to try a little harder to shake this negative and aggressive vibe. As we approach the one year mark of the vilolent attacks on our country, have we not learnt that we all need to be a little kinder to each other? Life is short and hurt is long.
OK. I will.
It's funny ... I've noticed that right after 9-11 most everyone tried aggressively to "get along". Then after a while, when things calmed down, attitudes in general seemed to flip to the other extreme. (Some sort of subconscious defense mechanism I suppose.) I don't know where you all live, but here in the Los Angeles area ... If you want to feel the mood of the "community" all you need to do is hop on the freeways for an hour or so. If you want to see "negative and foul" I'll invite you to do so. I only wish it was possible to work out problems there the way we can do so here.

Darth Vellner
09-05-2002, 01:14 PM
Plasticfetish, Right on! That is just what needed to be said! Right on the nose! *Close thread now* :)

Dryanta
09-05-2002, 01:28 PM
Yes by all means lets try and give JP the input he originally asked for.
I have been away from the forums since at least June.So as far as newer members I can't really comment.I haven't really had a chance to meet any.
I think I know JP well enough to know he appreciates differing opinions.And I think he knows the difference between that and flat out crap slinging between people.
I asked a very similar question awhile ago.The thread lasted less than one day.Shut down.Now I don't think that would have happened as quickly before the influx of users since just before AOTC.

Now ,I can't speak with a whole lot of experience here,but I've heard and seen enough to wonder if some people have brought some bad habits from other forums here.(?)
I have heard deadeye mentioned here way to much.I really don't know the details and don't need to.But I'm smart enough(barely) to know one person could not have stirred up so much emotion if the emotion wasn't there from another source to begin with.
Is it some kind of subconsious backlash from 9/11? No idea.Or is it a symptom of the times and atmophere we are all subjected to as a whole?More likely.
Now specifically our frustration with some of Hasbro's practices and that collecting isn't what it was.If I look into myself for the answer,I can say for myself,that some of my AOTC and Saga Line's let downs are running out onto the wrong people.
I'm guessing really all,but there is a different countenance to this place now.I used to get Pmed all the time.Just saying hey,or asking about other users some were concerned about.Not in a long while.It's a symptom.
I can't speak for long time users or short term users because I think I fall somewhere in the middle.But I don't think it's a problem of not wanting to share the toys so to speak.
I came on here and posted the first time getting into it with some one from another site.No one here ever looked at my post count before speaking to me.Jargo,Big B,Jar Jar,GNT,Rollo all were very open and friendly.And they were considered the heavy hitters at the time,still are I think. And you yourself JP recieved me very well.
When is the last time someone new came along and was recieved as well as I was?I really don't know. Deadeye was recieved very well too with his writing.Well his situation is just another symptom of the problem.
I was begining to hear alot of complaints about the mods being a little heavy handed at times.Well I was heavly involved with the Jesus thread awhile back.There were alot of us including three, Bad memory,possibly four Mods participating.It went on for ever.Wouldn't last a day now.The proof is the Belief thread that just got shut down.SS felt it was a potential problem.
I submit to you all,no topic should be a powder Keg.None at all.WE can't seem to keep or feelings in context.Some root problem is bleeding into everything.
We should all be about finding out what it is with real input,dealing with by talking and being there for each other,not as heavy bags but as load barers.This not ,to coin a phrase,(stillakid ;)) an episode of Oprah but a bunch of good folks that should be in control of this situation.
Well? Anybody else,without going into the whole cellblock thing?Let's put that symptom behind us as well.It fell down and degenerated because of the same root problem.Let's find THAT and deal with it as the community we have been in the past.

JEDIpartner
09-05-2002, 02:16 PM
Thank you (to the last couple posts) very much for at least addressing my question in a very intelligent manner. Again... I am not saying that ALL of us are negative or that ALL of the newer members are negative... it's just that (to quote a tired phrase) one bad apple CAN spoil the whole bunch. It seems that SOME (I did type "S O M E") of the newer members were prone to continuous Hasbro/Lucas/(related) bashing. Everything was "stupid", "worthless", "crap" and so forth. I just wondered what was getting into these people that only 10% of what they had to offer was positive.

I LOVE this site and feel that it is one of the best around... and I'm not just referring to Star Wars sites. The layout is great and the sense of community, when we aren't all skulking around looking for the next fight, is great!

I have just seen too many old AND new members state their unhappiness over the negative posts or threads. We are all individuals and we all have opinions. Unfortunately, when those opinions or ideas lead to chaos we need to step back for a second and collect ourselves and take a look at what's going on. That was my intent with this thread. There are lot of you who I wouldn't know from a can of peas, but I certainly would offer you the respect that you deserve. I would certainly hope you would do the same to all of your "friends" unseen.

plasticfetish
09-05-2002, 03:03 PM
It seems that SOME (I did type "S O M E") of the newer members were prone to continuous Hasbro/Lucas/(related) bashing. Everything was "stupid", "worthless", "crap" and so forth. I just wondered what was getting into these people that only 10% of what they had to offer was positive.

Not wanting to monopolize this thread ... so ... quickly ...

I know what you mean. In some cases I think I know EXACTLY who you mean also ... but as with everything you need to give people a chance to mature into and with the group. Also, it's simply easier in a new social situation to be negative or to focus on being critical in order to draw attention to yourself. It's basic school yard mentality ... and then as you mature into a situation you find ways to comfortably round out your opinions a little. To basically loosen up and not feel forced to always be pointlessly critical. If not ... you just leave the scene. Was it Jeddah that said a bit ago ... "I have seen grunts come and go"? Well, such is life and it would be the role of the more senior members to simply teach those that remain by example.

Which I think most of you do just fine.

Mar10Sir
09-05-2002, 03:32 PM
Well... again, I'm not reading aaaaaaaall of the posts here 'cause some are a bit lengthy. However, I think that those are quite a good example of the people who regularly visit these forums with a genuine and candid interest. I would guess that some of the people who are NOT posting here are quite surely (at least some of them) the ones that are ranting around 'causing some trouble.

I say this... let's do our best to call off these "negative" threads or posts by just offering a direct response (when needed) that won't build up the heat or simply ignoring them.

Banning or attacking will just make these people come back around 'cause that's what they're after. That's what amuses them. You ban them and they sign in again with another name and come back in with more attitude. Let's just (as PlasticFetish said) just set the ways of how things are run around here. In the words of the wise "the Force is used only for knowledge and deffense; never to attack". :)

I must confess that in some of the Hasbro threads I may have criticized some stuff (accessories, material quality, action features, figure poses) and used the words "silly", "dull" and "pointless". No mean to be offensive but rather state a personal appreciation about a certain item. I've also praised those things that I'm pleased or even surprised with. If certain forums are exclusively for non-negative feedback, this should be specified up front to avoid possible misunderstanding.

Besides... we all have ideas we think of as great. We'll all differ at some point. It's this clashing (not bashing) of ideas and how we use other people's point of view as a reference to widen our perspective that makes the world interesting. Am I typing too much? Quite probably. Ok... sorry. No more. See ya'!

billfremore
09-05-2002, 03:52 PM
I liked being part of something exclusive

I liked asscociating with people with a similar sense of humour.

I think it did turn into a bashfest on some days and I would have to agree that it was childish of myself to say some of the things I've had to say.

I was on some days no better than the people who made fun of and excluded me in school and for that I am ashamed.

I am a human being

I am insecure

I just want to belong

I just want to feel accepted

I want to act ridiculous and say silly things and not be slapped down for them.

I want to talk to people about things other than Star Wars occasionally.

I have grown tired of threads that repeat themselves over and over and over, but this is a symptom of an ever expanding message board that has new people come in everyday.

I have no solution for this situation.

I will miss my time in the cellblock and remember it fondly.

I am putting the NERF™ bat away and won't be swinging it for a while.

Cheers

DarthBrandon
09-05-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
I am putting the NERF™ bat away and won't be swinging it for a while.

Not the NERF™ bat billfremore, It's good to have a healthy swing once in a while.:D

Beast
09-05-2002, 04:29 PM
He's putting the NERF™ crotch bat away, because NERF™ just brought out a new model. The NERF™ crotch sledghammer. The NERF™ crotch missle has also been retired, replaced by the NERF™ crotch cannon. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
09-05-2002, 04:40 PM
Well it's good that we have some new NERF™ items at our disposal, I hope they come out with the NERF™ crotch Eliminator soon. I hear it can make a grown man cry.:D

QLD
09-05-2002, 04:42 PM
Does that mean I can't use my Nerf crotch jackhammer?

jeddah
09-05-2002, 05:36 PM
A) an explanation from SS
B) an answer to my question

And for the benefit of myself, I have taken advice and perused the secret forum. It seems there has been a revisionist spin put on things so I'm here to request some more explanations, mainly why the following was posted if no exclusivity was intended;

(the following excerpts from posts in the forum in question, snipped to relevant parts. No creative editing has been made by me)

Dar Argol 06-25-2002
But I think we are a completly male dominated sociaty here.

Speaking of which and new members and females(I hope) how about Jeddah, or Insane Jedi Girl(I KNOW that one is!!!!! I hope )

Any reservations or should I give one or both the secret PM????

Notafinga: 06-06-2002
Damn, EP... that was probably not witty and/or intelligent enough to rank among the elite here in the outer rim.

Emperor Jargo 05-27-2002
Letting folk know that this place isn't for the faint of heart is going to cover our backs because there are one or two dubious posts in here that parents wouldn't like their precious angels seeing. Also, Bel-Cam, there are one or two personal remarks in one thread about SEVERAL MILLION SSG MEMBERS, can you get rid of those please so they don't see them if the section gets opened up. Thanks.

and again on the same day
SEVERAL MILLION? really? That many huh? well who'da thunk it.... I have no idea why you edited that post Bel-Cam.

Anyways. I changed my mind and don't want this place opened up to just anybody. I reckon it's a nice refuge for those that know and accidentaly wander in. Kinda like a secret basement poker room or somethin' I don't want to see millions of fair weather friends cluter the place with threads even more inane than those already here. We struck the right balance of inanity between us and any newbies we don't know would upset that balance. I'm getting too long in the tooth to keep explaining things over and over to new people. I like that we all rub along here and know each others quirks and foibles enough to not have any agro between us. The newbies just don't get it IMO, No personality to these kids or sense of humour either. Maybe I'm getting too old for all of this

Eternal padawan 5-27-2002
.....And #3 {an option for deciding the fate of the forums,put forward by JT - jeddah} would let certain people in who might have enough posts, but collectively we as a Cellblock cannot stand.
& on 7-14-2002

When referring to Cellblock business in the regular forum never mention it by name, simply post in red...if anyone asks, Jonna's obsessed with KETCHUP.

Big Barada 7-02-2002
Quote:
I would love to stick stillakid, VT, and derek in a room with a stinky pile of poo and let them debate the existance or strength of the stench or whatever they would start to debate about a pile of poo, and then watch them over the course of about 5 months, cause it would last LONGER then that, and find out which one of their heads explodes first after each is trying to beat their viewpoint into the others heads, and then I would walk in and say "Geez guys, it's just a pile of Sh**, get over it!!!!!!!"

You realize, Dar, that you almost owed me for a new keyboard when I almost spit out the water I was drinking while reading this comment of yours. That is just too funny. And true, don't forget true.

And don't forget SithDroid, stillakid's one man cheerleading squad.

On second thought, JT, maybe we shouldn't open up this section to everyone else. Bashing people here is just too much fun.

{Big B, you need to be Born Again, methinks - jeddah}

EL CHUXTER 02/07 2002
Want some real fun? Put stillakid in a room with just about anyone else and bring up the subject of midichlorions.

Hooray for Derek! The only person in these quotes with any kind of integrity. :) 9-01-2002
if you guys are going to have a super secret forum, i'd suggest you do a better job of actually keeping it a secret, so other long time forum members, like me, don't feel like crud when they stumble upon it.

just my 2 cents.

i'll now crawl back to the great unwashed masses.

*Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos on 09-02-2002 at 10:52 PM*

So, can I have another show of hands please - or a retraction from all those who said that it was not exclusive? B-U-S-T-E-D!

Thanks again. :kiss:

jeddah

QLD
09-05-2002, 05:45 PM
DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!

DAMN YOU FOR EXPOSING US!!!!!!!

OUR PLANS FOR WORLD DOMINATION ARE RUINED!!!!!!!!

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU MEDDLING KIDS!!!!!!!!

Beast
09-05-2002, 05:46 PM
Jeddah, cry me a friggen river. Nice to see that you dredge up a few of the worst posts, and totally ignore the hundreds of ones that have nothing to do with keeping people out. See, this is the exactly the reason that it was a hidden area. Humorless berks like you that couldn't laugh because your skin will crack.:rolleyes: :stupid:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
09-05-2002, 05:50 PM
AT least Jeddah didn't find the thread with our doomsday device plans in it, or the one where we were constructing a list of people on SSG to blacklist.

Maybe some of our plans can continue as...errr...planned...

Beast
09-05-2002, 06:01 PM
I guess we will have to go to "Plan 9", QLD you know what to do. Drop the poisen into the water supply, and me and the rest of the boys will buy up all the bottled water and other beverages and hold the world hostage for, 1 Million Dollars!!! *JJB puts his pinkie to his lip.* Mwahahahahaha. :evil: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jeddah
09-05-2002, 06:07 PM
Much as I'd love to...I don't think I can add to this...:D You guys :D

Aw, ROTFLMAO

:D :D :D

peace

:D jeddah :D

Dar' Argol
09-05-2002, 06:41 PM
You know Jeddah, you really know how to take things out of context:D.

When I was asking about you or Insane Jedi Girl, It was because there were no females in there, I was just a bunch of guys and I was looking to put some spark in there, a different frame of mind. And if you are NOT female, sorry, but I made the same mistake with Jonna, bit of a running joke in there:D.

The other posts by Jargo and EP were reffering to the fact that there may not be some forumites that they did not get along with. Would you want to be stuck in a room with the person you dispise the most??? That would be very uncomfortable now wouldn't it?? Anyway it was a discussion.

My post about stillakid, VT, and derek was time sensitive. JT had started a thread about he hates contriversial(sp) threads. This was just after the "Jesus Loves you" thread and the begining of the "Pledge Thread". JT and myself had spent who knows how long dredging through those posts to make sure everything was going ok. At that point we were both very tired of these types of threads, because of how bad they could turn in an instant. So this was a release for us. I was personally tired and irritated with the above mentioned 3 because of the circles they were running at the time and how none of them would give a quarter to the other. It was out of pure frustration that post was made. Now on the other hand, I could have gone in and edited that post and several others, but I didn't because I am not ashamed of anything I posted there. It is my opinion and I am entitled to have it, just as you are entitled to have yours.

And in regaurds to the other posts about opening up the CB, there was some stuff that ppl could have and are offended about, but the ones reffering to forumites were only part of it. JT and SirSteve were taking about making the CB visible to everyone, meaning anyone could have gone in there. ANd there is some questionable stuff in there. That is why some ppl said about not opening it up.

If you are going to go digging in there and post excerpts from threads, at least put them into context, give a little history of that thread, or post a link to the begining of the thread so all can read the WHOLE thing and decide for themselves. That's all I ask:D.

And BTW, so I do not get accussed of sideing with the CellBlock, I WILL NOT CLOSE THIS THREAD. If it gets closed, it will be the doing of JT or SirSteve himself. I wash my hands of that job:D.

jobi
09-05-2002, 06:41 PM
I don't consider the Cellblock secret, we just didn't tell everybody.

Jargo
09-05-2002, 06:59 PM
Quoting out of context to prove a point that isn't worth proving. How noble and sublimely ridiculous. This thread is so far up its own arse it's hard to see it at all.
The cellblock was never a secret just an out of the way place. If any of you care to use the forum leaders link at the bottom of the main index page it'll take you to a list of the moderators and what they moderate and there plain as day is the cellblock under Bel Cam Jos's name. You can also access that page from somewhere in the staf section or by viewing a mods profile or whatever. The evidence has been around all along for those with a nose to go looking around at the place instead of sniffing their own navels and getting irate over absolutely ridiculous imagined injustices.
If you bothered to ask instead of accusing I would have told you that at the time of my posting that quote you took out of context there was a single name in there and that same name was possibly going to be entering the cellblock when it was left open to anybody to wander in. I thought the comments in a particular thread were unflattering if seen from certain perspectives and spoke with Bel Cam about editing away anything that might be misconstrued as offensive at that time. Bel Cam saw fit to edit into my post the 'Several million' remark to mask the name that had been there originally. In actual fact, the comment was innoccuous that was deemed offensive. It regarded a younger member of the forums who was being rather offensive himself. Far less offensive than this thread as it turns out.
You only whine and whinge because you feel slighted in some way for not being party to something that happened out of sight? grow up, you feel slighted because I don't tell you everything that happens in my home? In any society ther will be split off factions of like minded people, the micromachine section is an enclave that you jeddah and VT have ensconsed yourselves in and speak to each other in some kind of shorthand that alienates most other users in an elitist and cliquey way. In essence that sort of behaviour amounts to exactly the same thing as that which you decry. In actual fact, the cellblock has allowed many positive aspects to blossom, there are friendships that have spawned from that outpost that would never have flourished in the quagmire of this ridiculous mess out here otherwise. I've learned an awful lot about my friends and feel more secure because of that. It allowed us to get close and form bonds above some anonymous fleeting drivel out here. Or are you saying that in your obvious self absorbing bitterness you can't stand to see anyone attain a level of contentment and comradeship?

Do me a favour Jeddah, don't quote me out of context in future, okay? fine.

Y'know what mattered in the cellblock? friendship. Not aquaintances like out here but real friendship. It was like an island idyll. A haven from the screaming out here. Like a backstreet bar out of harms way and now you lousy wankers have gone and got planning permission to turn it into some trendy winebar with wittering and twittering blandness the order of the day. A vanilla smelling no smoking non alcohol winebar with chrome and mirrors and faux stained glass windows. You've taken away the only thing that mattered to me lately. So there was b!tching in there, big deal you get that anywhere you are, if you can't take a bit of badmouthing then frick off and go play with the disney store employees instead. just as long as it's safe and wholesome and shiny shiny happy happy good christian fare eh?

Beast
09-05-2002, 07:09 PM
Damn straight Jargo. You and I even formed a friendship in there, even though originally me and you were quite bitter enemies. Including you commenting when my name originally came up for inclusion in the cellblock, that they shouldn't let the "insane rabbit in here". I didn't take it as an insult, because Jargo and I are adults, and we can enjoyed bantering back and forth.

It was a wonderful place, that occassionally suffered from a much needed release from the frustrations that the regular forums and a few forumites gave. So thank you all for making a huge mountain out of a small molehill. The damage is done, but the friendships will remain. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to go plot to take over the world with the rest of the Illuminati. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dryanta
09-05-2002, 07:10 PM
Hey to both Dar and Jargo.long time no type.:)
I'm out of this one.I've said my piece and now chose to move on.
:)

Jargo
09-05-2002, 07:11 PM
It wouldn't have seemed right tostay out since the world and his wife posted. I too bow out.

sith_killer_99
09-05-2002, 07:23 PM
Hey, none of them posts came from the "Blatant Lies" thread did they?

Cuz them was blatant lies!!! All lies I say!!! The ones...from...the....um....Blatant Lies thread. You know.:crazed:

Beast
09-05-2002, 07:26 PM
Unless we are all pathalogical liars, and the Blatant Lies thread was the only place we actually told the truth. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
09-05-2002, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I really have nothing to say about that quote of mine that was "exposed." Whatever, dude. And the insinuation that I am not a Christian because I don't love everyone and am not nice to everyone every minute of every day, is a ridiculous one. I'm human just like anyone else and prone to bad days and spontaneous rants. Besides if you read through one of my earlier posts, in this thread, you will see that I apologized to the two people I spoke badly about in the CB. I only mentioned stillakid and SithDroid by name in my post, so those two were who the apology was aimed out. I have no problems with VT and derek, but I apologize to them also if what I said distressed them in any way. Sorry guys, I truly am.

I don't apologize to DeadEye though, cuz he knows he deserves everything he gets.;):D:D j/k

plasticfetish
09-05-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Like a backstreet bar out of harms way and now you lousy wankers have gone and got planning permission to turn it into some trendy winebar with wittering and twittering blandness the order of the day. A vanilla smelling no smoking non alcohol winebar with chrome and mirrors and faux stained glass windows. You've taken away the only thing that mattered to me lately.

THIS TOTALLY reminds me of when they turned the Condor Club in North Beach, San Francisco into a wine bar! That place was a landmark ... home to the famous Carol Doda for years and years. I remember going back to "the city" a few years back to show my wife the strip club we (my friends and I) had always tried to sneak into when I was a kid (well, 16) ... and, d**n it ... it had been turned into this WINE BAR! Everything gone ... it wasn't dark and sleezy anymore ... it was all full of bright faced tourists sipping wine.

Wow how that p***ed me off ... uh ... what were you guys talking about?

TylerD
09-05-2002, 08:39 PM
You know, I DID look over the past threads of the CellBlock, and let me just say that some of them are pretty friggin hilarious! I laughed my arse off...

What we need as fellow community (I think of the Forums as a community) members is understanding.

The posters of the Cell Block need to understand how the people who didn't know about it felt. Somebody mentioned that they saw a person who registered in July posting in the cell block. That person was me. I know they think I have only been here for a month, but I actually re-registered under a new user name in July. So its not like I only just found out about it, and just came to SSG a month ago. Anyway, to tell you the truth, I was jealous. Jealous that you guys were having so much fun and that it was kept secret...A good analogy would be like finding out there is a nearby country club you can't attend because you weren't invited...I know it wasn't really a secret because you could click on the Moderators link and see which forums they moderated, but some of us are just too dumb, or oblivious to the fact to figure that out...Besides, all the boards and moderators are posted on the main forums page anyway! So for some of us, it was "secret."

The people who just found out about the Cell Block need to try to understand people like Jar Jar's point of view, because both side's views are important. I can understand the fact that some people have great (and maybe obscene) senses of humor (as evidenced by early cell block threads ;) ) and I also understand that some of those people's jokes are not to be read by everybody, and that people needed a place besides "General Discussion" in which they could talk about things non-SW, which is why the Cell Block was created.

I think what we need to do is just call a truce, and forget the whole thing. Now that everyone knows about it, its not a secret, so anybody can go if they want. Also, the personal insults in this thread need to stop. It does not flatter anybody when they say something rude to someone else.

Just my $.02 - TylerD

Nexu
09-05-2002, 08:50 PM
I registered in July too, and I was posting in there. I am Jason B though.

sith_killer_99
09-05-2002, 09:21 PM
Um, what does registration date have to do with anything?

TylerD
09-05-2002, 09:31 PM
Well sith killer, someone stated above that (and I am paraphrasing here) ---it doesn't matter that you found it, because you only registered a month ago.--- At least, that was the general attitude of the message.

Anyway, I was just trying to explain myself, and say that it did matter, because I have been around a lot longer than a month... :)

2-1B
09-05-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by TylerD
Well sith killer, someone stated above that (and I am paraphrasing here) ---it doesn't matter that you found it, because you only registered a month ago.--- At least, that was the general attitude of the message.

Anyway, I was just trying to explain myself, and say that it did matter, because I have been around a lot longer than a month... :)

I believe you are referring to my comments, let me clarify - you made a post in the Cell Block about "feeling like crud" when finding it . . . I have no idea who you used to be, and it doesn't matter. I was only trying to gauge it against the feelings of "old timers" who were in the dark . . . which is EXACTLY WHAT I WAS -"in the dark" - UNTIL JUST A MONTH AGO when I found it.

No, my post's attitude was not to suggest that it didn't matter that you found it - I just think it is premature to play hurt when you did find it so quickly (as ASSUMED, quite understandably) since "registering" in July. :)
I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression. :)

What I'd like to end with is the fact that this is not a 2 sided issue - there are a third and fourth perspective, one of which I bring to the table, and I'd like those perspectives to be considered in the hopes of not seeing this as an "either / or" discussion.

I am pro-Cell Block
I was a latecomer to it.
I do NOT feel excluded.
Thanks for your time. :)

------------------------------------------------

Speaking of time, usually a thread of this nature would have been admonished quite some time ago . . . but we're already 11 pages in, we've seen SirSteve and JT's names mentioned several times, and no word from either of them?

Curious . . . ;)

Beast
09-05-2002, 09:51 PM
We could mention GNT and I bet that just like a magic genie he would appear. It's worked before, so let's see if it does again. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SirSteve
09-05-2002, 10:00 PM
Speaking of time, usually a thread of this nature would have been admonished quite some time ago . . . but we're already 11 pages in, we've seen SirSteve and JT's names mentioned several times, and no word from either of them?

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=169921#post169921

TylerD
09-05-2002, 10:02 PM
Hey Caesar, no worries my friend! I wasn't saying that to be mean...and I understand why you said that. I just typed that so someone wouldn't see my post and say, "Gee, you typed all of that, and you care about this situation so much, and you only registered a MONTH ago?" LOL....you get what I mean? :)

2-1B
09-05-2002, 10:04 PM
:D :D :D

Yeah, I knew about that, just seeing if you're still here. :D

But I am interested in your opinions on the POV of the anti-Block forumites. :)

TylerD
09-05-2002, 10:54 PM
Well, I think that if someone doesn't want the Cell Block to exist, then it is going to be tough for them. People who don't want the Cell Block to exist may have appropriate reasons for their thinking (i.e. still jealous/mad, they were one of the people who got "flamed" etc.), but from what I have read in this thread, and from Sir Steve's message in the Cell Block, it doesn't look like the Cell Block is going to close. I suppose that the people who don't want it to exist may just have to forget it's even there. BTW, what is the fourth POV you mentioned?

2-1B
09-05-2002, 10:58 PM
Sorry, I was posting that in reply to SirSteve - you just snuck in there one me. ;)
I should have used quotes. :)

Emperor Howdy
09-05-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
With all due respect, EH, I disagree with you about that particular thread on religion. I was in the thick of the discussion for a good portion of the thread and although it did get heated at times I don't recall it ever getting to the point where rampant name calling was the norm. Actually, I found it quite refreshing to discuss some weighty matters other than those related to SW.

You are correct, M.C. I was just trying to increase my post count with that response. Kidding...:D

Actually, the "Pledge unconstitutional?" thread I started got pretty tense at times...(and I believe that's the one you're referring to). A little Christian-bashing here, a dash of atheist-beating there....all in good fun, though....................err........ouch. Nevertheless, I think the thread was removed altogether because JT/SS felt the potential for aggression was a'brewing.....but again, that's only an assumption. Incidently, I remember your input in that thread. Your posts were eloquent yet unyielding. It is for that reason that I have fallen madly in love with you.

Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
In any society there will be split off factions of like minded people, the micromachine section is an enclave that you jeddah and VT have ensconsed yourselves in and speak to each other in some kind of shorthand that alienates most other users in an elitist and cliquey way. In essence that sort of behaviour amounts to exactly the same thing as that which you decry.

Christ, ain't THAT the truth. E.J., that statement was both observant and indubitable. It is for that reason that I have fallen madly in love with you.

Originally posted by SirSteve
I believe I am going to bring back the password protected feature and change it often. That way, the "group" as a whole can decide who gets it. It will be passed from mods to whomever.

Oh, Bless the Maker, BRING IT BACK!!! I couldn't bare the thought of the monotonous droning present in this thread oozing its way into the Cellblock. It's like being at a funeral. SirSteve...that is a brilliant idea. It is for that reason that I have falle....

**suddenly, a poison dart strikes Emperor Howdy in the back of the neck, causing him to slump over dead on the keyboard**

......and there was much rejoicing.........yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey.......... :D

Beast
09-05-2002, 11:53 PM
*Hides the Poisen Dart gun in his Emporer's robes* :evil:

I told him to get his imposter arse out of my damn Emperor chair.

*Sits down and keys the com on the arm of his chair, while Stormtroopers drag Howdy's corpse out of his Throne Room.*

Now Sir Steve, you may fire when ready. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Master Goeweins
09-06-2002, 12:04 AM
Wowwwwww..... some people get really upset and just hold on to it till it turns rotten. To spend what must be about twenty minutes of your life to type a post at such great length just to vent your angers, and so filled with erudite language.........

you do know that you don't get those minutes back later don't you?

Mike Troxell
09-06-2002, 12:12 AM
It's a freaking forum. It's not life or death. There are no cool crowds or uncool crowds. You don't know most (or any at all) of these people personally. Are people's lives really so sad that they worry what people think of them on the Internet?

Emperor Howdy
09-06-2002, 12:24 AM
**shakes fist at JarJar while being dragged away**

"Why you freakin' frackin' fliggin' sonz'a Christ on a crutchin'.......":mad:............trails off in despair......

Ooooooooook, so........fun's over....back to business. This is a serious thread, with pertinent issues that need to be addressed, so knock off the tomfoolery, JarJar. I might also add that you need to get your head out of the clouds and start paying attention to what the heck thread you're in and what's going on around you, ok?

Anyway.....moving along.......................off JarJar's "y"........

Yucatan

darthvyn
09-06-2002, 12:49 AM
nibblets!

plasticfetish
09-06-2002, 01:15 AM
SLITHIS!

(is this "Changing the subject Bouka"?)

Jedi Drew
09-06-2002, 08:02 AM
It's water under the bridge so let it be. We are all here for one reason-our love of Star Wars. Yea, people were ****ed about not being invited into the cell block (I was at first) but let's move onto other issues. Like.... where the heck are the new figures and that gunship???? :confused: :confused:

Jedi Drew
09-06-2002, 08:06 AM
And don't anyone post "Go to your local Wal-Mart, TRU ect. and you will find them." It's bone dry here......:eek: :eek:

vulcantouch
09-06-2002, 11:50 AM
. . . i just wish i cared enough about any aspect of this issue to join in :p alas, as one who habitually picks his battles i just never found anything about cellblock interesting enough to bother. UNTIL:

d'a: "My post about stillakid, VT, and derek was time sensitive"
-Confound It! :frus: as i do not read all of ssg forums, i hereby draft everyone reading this into the VT Media Watchdog Posse. your duties are simple: whenever you see anyone drop my name anywhere except on the mm forum or a thred on which i'm actively participating, you Inform me (preferably over on the mm forum) so i can see & enjoy said namedrop for myself :D i Don't giva damn whether said mention's positive or negative; as a publicity HEAUUU, to me the notoriety's the main thing :D

"I would love to stick stillakid, VT, and derek in a room with a stinky pile of poo"
-oh, but i already Have been stuck in a room with a pile o stink; said pile of stink is more commonly known as D'A's Judgment As The GenDiscuss Moderator ;) :D

ej: "the micromachine section is an enclave that you jeddah and VT have ensconsed yourselves in and speak to each other in some kind of shorthand that alienates most other users in an elitist and cliquey way"
-first of all you gotta Get Specific about things you don't understand. if you don't (and you never have, over there Or here), one can only assume that either you Do understand all that's being said or you're not interested enough to ask for clarification. i for one take personal responsibility and do just that whenever i don't understand & want to, & i always provide clarification whenever anyone else asks :)
second, what makes you think I understand all or even most of the francais-laced, "elitist and cliquey" yapyap my ol sparrin partner jdah engages in? hell, half the time i just Pretend to understand it. then i stall for time & take a printup of it to some al fresco cafe and, using my handy "jeddah to english" dictionary, try to decipher it while relaxing over afternoon tea ;) :D

"don't quote me out of context in future, okay?"
-fat chance o that- the author of the following QUOTE eludes me at the moment: "ALL quotes are 'out of context'" :happy:

bb: "I have no problems with VT"
-dang, so much for cellblock's "interestingness" ;)
anyhoo, what i Really wanna see is the MODS-ONLY section! cmon, pweeese? i don't wanna post there, i just wanna peek :D
vt

El Chuxter
09-06-2002, 12:09 PM
It's never been my intention to keep the Cell Block secret. I've always been of the opinion that the more people who are in there, the more fun the banter will be on a whole. I didn't mean to imply that I wanted stillakid kept out by my comment, and it was intended to be tongue-in-cheek; I could just as easily have said, "Put JarJarBinks in a room and bring up the subject of pan and scan DVD." Or "Put Emperor Jargo in a room and say Yarna d'al Garga sucks." Or, for that matter, "Put El Chuxter in a room and bring up Jurassic Park III."

However, I apologize if I offended anyone with any comments I made in Cell Block. I'm not here to hurt anyone's feelings.

stillakid
09-06-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
It's never been my intention to keep the Cell Block secret. I've always been of the opinion that the more people who are in there, the more fun the banter will be on a whole.

Then why was it hidden away?

I have a nutty idea:crazed:. Create the "hidden site" thing, but in order to make this forum a fully interactive experience, create a "treasure hunt" or sorts. I'm going to steal a bit of text from one of my favorite websites when they say:

www.wordplayer.comWELCOME: You finally found Wordplay. The two torn halves of the map fit, the right password was spoken to the man through the slot. You clicked your heels together, said the magic word ('mellon!'), answered the Sphinx, rejected the fourth wish. You made it.

You wouldn't be here unless you've already come a long way, and for that, congratulations. And you know there's still a long way to go, on this odd, infuriating, enticing pilgrimage that is writing screenplays. So let this be a pleasant way-station for you. Stay here a short time, or feel welcome to settle down, make yourself at home.

I think you get the idea! :Pirate:

Lobito
09-06-2002, 12:52 PM
I have a nutty idea. Create the "hidden site" thing, but in order to make this forum a fully interactive experience, create a "treasure hunt" or sorts. I'm going to steal a bit of text from one of my favorite websites when they say:

First of all i havent read the 12 pages of this thread, so if anyone has given the explanation that follows, mind that it can be repeated.

Well, some ppl were invited to the CellBlock and some just found the way in by themselves. At first we were only 7 or 6 i dont recall, but the reason was that we were the ones that were in the Site most of the time. (GNT, BB, MasterJedi, etc.) Then we were given the option to invite ppl or to drop clues...by that time the CB had a password feature...anyway the CB grew and grew...but there were times that it was really lonely there...only 5 or 6 ppl would really post there...so new threads were added to the CB (older threads ceased to exist in the reular forums and became a part of the CB like...the SSG Story...I dont even collect the cards...etc.

Anyway...the thing is that now its open and we will have to wait for the outcome of this topic...maybe they will close it or maybe they will make a new one...but the most important thing is that the CB was created for the same reason we come here and discuss SW...to have fun.

So.....TGIF!!!!!

Emperor Howdy
09-06-2002, 05:56 PM
Hmmm.....JediTricks just PMed me with the link to the "Pledge unconstitutional?" thread. It seems it was never removed or closed. :confused:.......my bad. I suppose an appropriate punishment for my error would be to stand naked at the mailbox and wave to neighbors getting home from work. I'll be back in a little while.........

plasticfetish
09-06-2002, 06:56 PM
Hmmm.....JediTricks just PMed me with the link to the "Pledge unconstitutional?" thread. It seems it was never removed or closed. :confused:.......my bad. I suppose an appropriate punishment for my error would be to stand naked at the mailbox and wave to neighbors getting home from work. I'll be back in a little while.........

Yeah ... I pretty much remember it ending with JediCole and me basically monopolizing the thread until we finally ended up finding a pretty good middle ground. (Besides, I just watched my 5 year old say the pledge in kindergarten and I thought ... eh, what's the big deal?) ;)

Good luck with the mailbox thing.

sith_killer_99
09-06-2002, 07:47 PM
I ref. to Emperor Howdys' post.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

InsaneJediGirl
09-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by jeddah
Dar Argol 06-25-2002
But I think we are a completly male dominated sociaty here.

Speaking of which and new members and females(I hope) how about Jeddah, or Insane Jedi Girl(I KNOW that one is!!!!! I hope )

Any reservations or should I give one or both the secret PM????[/b]

Yes,I am a girl..Young Lady,Woman,etc.:D:D:D:D

On the SSG Cell Block..I really am not "hurt" by this discovery.It was just a forum for goofing around,mainly for the orginal members/frequent posters.Appears to me the Cell Block is past its prime anyways.

Like ThinkGeek.Com always said :

"Avoid cliques like the plague":D

Master Goeweins
09-07-2002, 11:52 PM
What I really want to know is what is the difference between what the CellBlock was, and a few members agreeing to meet in the "SW lamp shades" forums and post under the "pull chain" thread so they can goof off? I never look in that thread, so is it really hidden? Going somewhere to goof off together is no crime. I am not defending the eventual comments made on the thread, but everyone has already realized the wrongs (even those who did them).

So why complain about some members fooling around together? The thread was available to all, just not in plain sight....

By the way, could someone link me to the "pull chains" thread again, I can't find it................... and I got something to say in there.

plasticfetish
09-08-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Master Goeweins
Going somewhere to goof off together is no crime.

I think it is in Utah.

Old Fossil
09-08-2002, 08:50 AM
Ah, these truly are the Salad Days...

The Cell Block folks (I am not one) are to be commended for creating a safe haven for themselves and for those who don't wish to be included in those discussions. The Cell Block was apparently created with preserving a level of integrity and (for lack of a better word) 'wholesomeness' on the general Forum discussion boards, to in part keep them more focused on the Star Wars hobby and the films themselves. The latter is why I come to these Forums, and have been for a couple of years now, albeit under a different username, initially. The information I've gotten from Forumites has been invaluable to me as a collector, and I enjoy trying to be of help to others like myself.

I think the Cell Block should be maintained, regardless, though its users should keep in mind its truly open nature when discussing other Forum members. Their fun has not hurt anyone, usually, with a few unfortunate exceptions.

SithDroid
09-08-2002, 12:51 PM
I have no idea what is going on here that is making people upset, and that is why I left for a while. I haven't been on these boards now for the past 7 weeks and have just come back. It seems to me that TOO many threads that get started are not very interesting and I don't have time to page through all the "garbage" that is on there, especially when the topic is so vague. I hardly reply to anything at all anymore even though I used to be one of the top posters, in the top 20 or so, and now I see that I no longer am. Oh well, not that I'm concerned about being a top poster, it's just that I wish people wouldn't restate the same thing that someone says in the same thread only to get their post count higher.

2-1B
09-01-2007, 01:22 AM
I'm still really upset, I can barely control my rage. Someone's gonna get their head bit off if they look at me wrong.

stillakid
09-01-2007, 02:00 AM
I'm still really upset, I can barely control my rage. Someone's gonna get their head bit off if they look at me wrong.

:cross-eye

TeeEye7
09-01-2007, 03:23 AM
:cross-eye

No, 'kid, no!! Now we'll all have to duck and cover! :shocked:

plasticfetish
09-01-2007, 04:48 AM
If you do bite someone's head off, will you put it on YouTube? I'd really like to see something like that.

2-1B
09-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Of course PF, I live my life on YouTube. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2007, 09:50 AM
I blame everything on that pink goop under the streets of New York, for making all of us angry. Or perhaps the Madballs toy line. And Mr. Magee. :80sreferences: ;)

El Chuxter
09-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Whatever it is, you can bet that Slicker's Mom is somehow involved.

2-1B
09-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Slicker's mom was only in her 40s when this thread was started...ahhhh to be young again. :p

Jargo
09-01-2007, 01:03 PM
speak up sonny.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-01-2007, 05:32 PM
It's that damn' Sasquatch, rilin' everyone up again.

Qui-Long Gone
09-01-2007, 07:17 PM
I think the negative mojo can be countered with people sharing their happy thoughts, or perhaps by sharing their negative thoughts, happily....like man that made me happy when Jar Jar got less screen time in AOTC and ROTS....

One thing that makes me feel happy is my family....another is the thought of of a super articulated Qui-Gon Jin, Yarna and Sarlac Playset.....

these are a few of my favorite things....:D

plasticfetish
09-01-2007, 09:17 PM
That's it! Happy thoughts...

...puppies... fugicles... warm mittens on a winter day... playing in the snow and the neighbor's puppy has left his own little fugicle there, and it gets all over my warm mittens... oh, DAMN! I hate that dog! Stupid dog!!!! :frus::mad:

...oh shoot. That didn't work. Uhhh... warm mittens made from the neighbor's puppy...??? Yeah, that's better! Happy thoughts, happy thoughts...

JediTricks
09-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Ghostbusters II references make everybody upset.

Qui-Long Gone
09-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Ghostbusters II references make everybody upset.

Except for the four memebers of the "I-Liked-Ghostbusters2-Better-Than-GhostbustersI-Society"

....and no, I am not a member although I did get their propaganda newsletter for a few months...

plasticfetish
09-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Except for the four memebers of the "I-Liked-Ghostbusters2-Better-Than-GhostbustersI-Society"Mmmm... think I just read somewhere that they all drowned recently while staring up at the rain with their mouths open.

Qui-Long Gone
09-10-2007, 05:11 PM
That would expalin why my subscription was cancelled....:D

El Chuxter
09-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Dude, Ghostbusters II WAS a million times better than Ghostbusters.

(Uh, by "Ghostbusters," we are talking about that crappy cartoon that preceded "The Real Ghostbusters." The one set in the future with the stupid ape. Right?)

Qui-Long Gone
09-10-2007, 05:21 PM
You're killing me El....you're killing me.....this would be the point in the movie where the gate keeper would blast us off the roof because of your comment....:(:lipsrsealed:

JediTricks
09-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Dude, Ghostbusters II WAS a million times better than Ghostbusters.

(Uh, by "Ghostbusters," we are talking about that crappy cartoon that preceded "The Real Ghostbusters." The one set in the future with the stupid ape. Right?)
Dude, I can't believe you brought out a reference to Filmation's Ghost Busters cartoon - what a f'ing POS that was, and to put it back out when The Real Ghostbusters cartoon was airing, that was some huevos! But to be fair, the Filmation cartoon came out in '75, 9 years before the movie (which explains why it has the 2 stars of F Troop as the lead voice actors).

El Chuxter
09-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Really?

I could swear that one of them was supposed to be Venkman's son, or something. Maybe they tagged something to the beginning of the pilot to imply that?

Of course, I didn't care for it then, and care less for it now.

JediTricks
09-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Ok, I did a little research, here's what it is:

The '70s show I mentioned is the original Ghost Busters, it's everything I described EXCEPT that it's live-action: http://www.70slivekidvid.com/ghost.htm
(oh the humanity!)

When Columbia pictures released the 1984 Ivan Reitman movie, they hadn't checked to see if the name had already been used, Filmation owned the name "Ghost Busters" and sued. They won, and part of the settlement included that Columbia couldn't produce a spinoff cartoon simply named "Ghostbusters" (hence the retitle). Filmation also entered into talks with Columbia to produce a cartoon based on the movie, but Columbia went with DiC (then of Inspector Gadget fame).

In order to cash in on the movie's craze, Filmation released their own new "Ghostbusters" cartoon in '86 at the a few months before the movie's spin-off cartoon. The Filmation cartoon ran '86 to '88, 65 episodes (shocking! but it explains why that crap was always on when I wanted The Real Ghostbusters), and the main characters were the sons of the original live-action Ghost Busters characters, the gorilla was the same character.

El Chuxter
09-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Jesus Christ, that's worse than I expected!

I must've remembered one of the original characters showing up in the one episode I actually watched, which is why I thought it was supposed to be Ray's or Peter's kids.

2-1B
09-11-2007, 07:31 PM
The way Chux has been acting lately, so upset, you'd think he just saw the prequels for the first time this week. lol lol lol

Vote Otter 2008 :Pirate:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Ok, I did a little research, here's what it is:

The '70s show I mentioned is the original Ghost Busters, it's everything I described EXCEPT that it's live-action: http://www.70slivekidvid.com/ghost.htm
(oh the humanity!)I recall seeing that show. I sort of remember the theme song, and the Mission Impossible idea of a self-destructing tape. Howver, at that time I hadn't actually seen the Mission Impossible series. I still don't think I have. I haven't seen the movies either. I haven't seen Ghostbusters II, and I didn't watch much of the cartoons.

Back to the topic of this thread, since I've not weighed in on it yet. I didn't have any negative reaction when I learned of the CB. Did anyone get upset that they didn't get invited to swcollecting.com? I suppose that was a different scenario though, because there wasn't a good way to contact people you didn't know if this site was shut down. Either way, it all seemed to be much ado about nothing.

2-1B
09-11-2007, 10:24 PM
KH called me on the phone to tell me about SWC...I wish JT would have made the call, though. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
09-11-2007, 11:46 PM
I believe it was KH that contacted me as well. I was suffering from SSG withdrawal and posted a couple times at RS where he found me. I got invited to hang out with the cool kids! I'm a somebody now!

JediTricks
09-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Jesus Christ, that's worse than I expected!

I must've remembered one of the original characters showing up in the one episode I actually watched, which is why I thought it was supposed to be Ray's or Peter's kids.I know, there's nothing that can prepare one for such a horror.

Howver, at that time I hadn't actually seen the Mission Impossible series. I still don't think I have. I haven't seen the movies either. I haven't seen Ghostbusters II, and I didn't watch much of the cartoons.Is there anything you HAVE seen??? :p

Back to the topic of this thread, since I've not weighed in on it yet. I didn't have any negative reaction when I learned of the CB. Did anyone get upset that they didn't get invited to swcollecting.com? I suppose that was a different scenario though, because there wasn't a good way to contact people you didn't know if this site was shut down. Either way, it all seemed to be much ado about nothing.The idea wasn't that I was inviting certain people, but that I was getting the word out to a few seed people who could contact everybody else while I worked on getting those systems going. I didn't have access to contacting most of you guys, the first 4 days without the forums were really weird ones.

2-1B
09-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Looking back, it's a pretty unique and special period of SSG history...and a testament to JT (especially) and the others who kept connections in place. :)

Mad Slanted Powers
09-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Is there anything you HAVE seen??? :pI once saw a bull walk up behind a cow that was taking a leak and start drinking like it was a water fountain.

El Chuxter
09-12-2007, 08:19 PM
I once saw a bull run up, jump in the air, and mount a cow. True story.

Darth Cruel
08-27-2009, 02:23 PM
I once saw a young bull run down a hill and mount a cow.

Then an old bull walked down the same hill and mounted the rest of them.

Holy stuff! Talk about a necropost! I did a search and this thread came up...I replied without checking the date of the last post until after I submitted it.

Sorry we can all let it die again.

Qui-Long Gone
08-27-2009, 05:19 PM
I don't watch too much bull porn, so I have to say these stories are hilarious!

Mad Slanted Powers
08-27-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't watch too much bull porn, so I have to say these stories are hilarious!

One of the benefits of growing up on a farm I guess.

Qui-Long Gone
08-27-2009, 05:23 PM
One of the benefits of growing up on a farm I guess.

Benefit as in educational or benefit as in you learn how to treat
the ladies?:D:whip:

Mad Slanted Powers
08-27-2009, 05:52 PM

More of the former. I didn't learn anything about the latter. Living in a rural area gives you a perspective on things that city folk don't have.

JimJamBonds
08-27-2009, 07:12 PM

Well at least the cows! :p

Qui-Long Gone
08-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Well at least the cows! :p

(grabs neck tie quickly and pulls it from neck while blushing and muttering incoherently...with slight awkward expression he finally speaks and says)....HEYOOOOHHHHH! :sur:

scruffziller
08-29-2009, 11:30 AM
There was a surge of unlikeable new members that everyone thought were me. :rolleyes:

Sometimes my very presence causes forumites to vomit.

If you are on here under a new screenname DeadEye, hear this.
Your very presence that causes forumites to vomit isn't without reason.
That reason is that you are a feminine product and the bag it comes in.:D

Blue2th
08-29-2009, 04:11 PM
What nauseates me is people stuffing the ballot box. Then trying to get away with it here, but being caught red handed. :whip:

Darth Cruel
08-30-2009, 10:43 AM
I am still embarrassed about digging up the thread and now it has become a Zombie thread. will somebody please shoot it in the brain?