PDA

View Full Version : Two versions of the TRU "25th Anniversary" R2-D2

Lord Malakite
09-03-2002, 11:13 PM
Yakface.com is reporting the following information.

This just in from a loyal source at TRU. The vacu-chromed R2s are coming (no date yet, but they are in some of the distribution centers). It looks like there will be two different versions. The good news for openers is that the figures themselves will be the same, but the bad news for completist carded collectors is that there will two different cards. One will likely be free to customers without a minimum purchase. The second will be much more limited and will be a gift WITH a minimum purchase. As of now, we have no info on how much the purchase requirment will be.

Beast
09-03-2002, 11:32 PM
Intresting news, Lord Malakite. Though Yakface has been wrong in the past on a great many things. But this could lend credance to the varying info we have heard about this R2-D2. That you would get one with the purchase of the $100 Electronic R2-D2, and the other reports saying a $30 or no minimum purchase to get one. Hmmm, we best wait until a more reliable site gets some info. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
09-04-2002, 12:53 AM
I idea of 2 different cards sounds like poodoo to me. Why not just make them all the same, if its going to be a gift or commerative thing. Besides, like TRU employees are going to figure out which R2 to give to what customer buying X amount of items or spending X amount of dollars.

Jedi Master Silas
09-04-2002, 03:59 AM
Does anyone have a ballpark date of when the R2's will start to be distributed?

2-1B
09-04-2002, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Jayspawn
Besides, like TRU employees are going to figure out which R2 to give to what customer buying X amount of items or spending X amount of dollars.

No kiddin' Jay. :D

I already have to worry about getting a TRU employee to give me A R2 figure, now I have to make sure I get the proper one? This doubles my workload! :crazed:

Sinister Lord
09-04-2002, 09:22 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the package on this R2 kicks butt!? I think the entire Hasbro line should be using this silver logo on black star-field background. I think this is the classic Star Wars look... maybe they will change over to this card back eventually. It would be really great if the Episode III toys had this style package, it would be in keeping with the darkness of the film to have the packaging on the toys appear darker. I mean the gold logo on a blue background is OK... but in my opinion silver on black is even better!

DahrJin
09-04-2002, 09:25 AM
So now you're telling me I will have to pay even more money to have two different carded versions of this FREE toy?

Since when is it Hasbros policy to take advantage of collectors....wait, I forgot about lil' old Jorge Sacul.......;)

Sinister Lord
09-04-2002, 09:32 AM
I just hope to god the more common version isn't on a normal blue Saga backer card... that would stink. I want a silver and black backer card!

SirSteve
09-04-2002, 09:38 AM
Rumors rumors rumors...

Starfig873
09-04-2002, 10:08 AM
Here's hoping your right Steve. I fear this is going to be a mess somehow, so the less "variations" the better.

stad
09-04-2002, 11:04 AM
I agree with SirSteve...rumors, rumors, rumors. Do we really expect that TRU is going to go to that much trouble for us? To have to have two different styles of freebies, and to know what to do with each one? I don't believe this for even a second.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
09-04-2002, 12:21 PM
As long as I have a carded 25th R2, I'll be happy.

Beast
09-04-2002, 12:40 PM
Like I said above, if it comes from Yakface don't just take it with a pinch of salt, have a whole salt lick with you. The ammount of things they have been wrong about is staggering, but I don't want to post a list. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
09-04-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Like I said above, if it comes from Yakface don't just take it with a pinch of salt, have a whole salt lick with you. The ammount of things they have been wrong about is staggering, but I don't want to post a list. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Well, I figure I'd post it anyway just to let you know. After all, its the first place I saw any mention of a Santa C-3PO and Reindeer R2-D2, then a little later there were a few pics at Rebelscum. Better safe than sorry. :)

Beast
09-04-2002, 02:57 PM
I think that TradeFederation.net had the first info about the Santa C-3PO and Reindeer R2-D2. And then Yakface snatched the story and ran with it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-04-2002, 04:37 PM
I'm with Hasbro'sBountyHunter: as long as I get one I'll be happy! :)

Beast
09-06-2002, 01:23 PM
This just in from Yakface.com. Maybe Sir Steve can confirm the info since Yakface isn't always the most accurate sites. :)

Silver R2-D2... How Much Would You Spend???
September 5, 2002 | 11:31 PM EST | Mark

Well what is he worth to you? How much pocket change do you want to spend on toys at TRU to get this little guy? $5, $10, $40, $50??? We have heard all sorts of numbers being tossed about. Well the answer is... $20! I do not believe this to be a bad price. I emailed Hasbro about the possiblity of two different figures and I was told there will only be one and you have to spend $20 on HASBRO Star Wars Merchandise to get it. Now when is he going to show up??? We wait patiently... more to come...

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
09-06-2002, 01:48 PM
Well, if it is going to be $20, it looks like I'll just wait to pick up the Landspeeder and possibly another figure and get the free R2 that way.

Beast
09-06-2002, 08:46 PM
Looks like there will be more then sufficiant numbers produced to meet demand. According to GalacticHunter.com Hasbro will be producing about 70,000. He will be alot easier to get then Toy Fair Vader (Rumored around 5,000) or Jorgie Sacul (Rumored around 25,000). So don't pay insane Ebay prices for this figure either. :D

TRU Silver Anniversary R2-D2 Update
Reported by Mike

According to our Toys R Us corporate source, the 25th Anniversary R2-D2, a vac-metallized version of our favorite astromech droid blister carded in Silver Anniversary style, will be released in late November as a $20 Gift With Purchase at TRU stores. The production run has been ramped up to 70,000 units to accomodate demand for this promotion and the merchandise purchased is limited to Hasbro Star Wars product ONLY.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
09-07-2002, 11:46 AM
Hey I have a idea! Hasbro should use the black and silver cards on the non-movie years, then go back to color for EP3 there should be a poll of this. How do we get a poll started??

Beast
09-07-2002, 04:05 PM
I'm not to sure how well the black and silver cards would stand up to being used in the normal line. Especially with how most of the stores treat their toy section. Cramming the figures onto the pegs and such would likely easily damage the cool cards. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

corporal AMF
09-07-2002, 04:10 PM
Black & Silver is OK for new packaging

Turbowars
09-07-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I'm not to sure how well the black and silver cards would stand up to being used in the normal line. Especially with how most of the stores treat their toy section. Cramming the figures onto the pegs and such would likely easily damage the cool cards. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks I just mean use the Black and Sliver for the colors, but the design could be like the Saga, same peg hook same bubble or even better yet Hasbro could do some retro packaging in a non-movie year like the vintage.

Sinister Lord
09-07-2002, 06:50 PM
I agree... I think the entire Saga line should be switched to the black and silver look... In my opinion, it is far more appealing than the blue and gold. They could keep the same current design for the card (with the hands holding the lightsaber), peg hook, and bubble and just switch the colors on the backer card to black and silver.

stad
09-07-2002, 06:59 PM
That would be a nice switch!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-08-2002, 12:49 AM
I wonder if I can return the Saga X-wing I picked up a month ago and get my $$$ back, then use that same $$$ to buy the X-wing again and get a free R2. Yeah, that'll work!

(evil snicker)

LBC, you are a genius :greedy:

stad
09-08-2002, 01:24 AM
Yep, that definitely would work!

Turbowars
09-08-2002, 09:59 AM
Or just buy another one.;) Really I can't understand why they are sitting around at TRU. I rarely open my stuff, but I had to , do to the crappy @ss packing, but this ship is FN awesome. I hope collectors buy them up, so that they don't go on clearance. It they do, there's just another reason not to take on another ship in the future.

Darth Detori
09-08-2002, 01:47 PM
Bantha Cleaner: As a TRU employee, I can pretty much tell you that you couldn't do that. It'd probably file under being a collectable and thusly you'd only have 45 days to return it; and even then you could only return it for the same thing, I believe.
If they DONT call it a collectible then you'd be under the 90 day rule and THEN you might have some luck.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-08-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Darth Detori
Bantha Cleaner: As a TRU employee, I can pretty much tell you that you couldn't do that. It'd probably file under being a collectable and thusly you'd only have 45 days to return it; and even then you could only return it for the same thing, I believe.
If they DONT call it a collectible then you'd be under the 90 day rule and THEN you might have some luck.

Darn it!

Well, I hope they'll have something worthwhile for me to buy because I don't envision buying something that is over $20 around that time in November. I already snagged a Landspeeder and an X-wing and I am to poor to get another of each. I guess a few deluxes would do the trick.

thespar
09-09-2002, 11:28 AM
why so late by time he comes out i will have stopped buy figrues until jan so i run least of a chance to get two of the same one two bad it did not work last year

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-09-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by thespar
why so late by time he comes out i will have stopped buy figrues until jan so i run least of a chance to get two of the same one two bad it did not work last year

Yeah, I was kinda hoping that he would come out earlier too. By the time he comes out in November, my cash and priorites will have shifted to buying Christmas presents.

Maybe I'll have to convice my family to buy presents at TRU this year. Although that may be pretty hard to do, because last time I checked, TRU doesn't sell any ponies. :p