PDA

View Full Version : The Imperial Shuttle is not retooled!

plo koon 200
09-04-2002, 05:18 PM
I have some unfortunate news but it appears that the Shuttle is not retooled. Jedichris.nert has scans of the FAO cataloge and it appears as if the Shuttle uses the same mold as the vintage.

Old Fossil
09-04-2002, 07:49 PM
Agreed. I don't own a vintage Shuttle, but it looks to be pretty much the same vehicle, sans electronics.

Beast
09-04-2002, 08:03 PM
Plo koon 200, they have to retool it slightly and add the detail back in, because they have to take a mold of the old ship to produce the new mold. When you take a mold of an already produced object, you loose some detail. So they have to add the detail back into the mold, to bring the detail back out. That is a case of re-tooling. It is not always adding new detail.

Besides, that is a prototype, and is the same angle we have seen from the website. Until we see more detailed pictures, I would suggest not going crazy yet. We haven't seen the interior of the cockpit, or of the shuttle hold, or of the engines. I think we need to hold off on jumping on it not being re-tooled more, until we see more detailed pictures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Captain Trips
09-04-2002, 08:10 PM
Even if it were the EXACT same mold, I'd still buy it. I've wanted the shuttle since it first came out (though at the time I was getting away from playing with my toys. Funny how as I near 30, I'm back at it, but I digress...), and just don't have $3-400 laying around for the vintage one.

Jargo
09-06-2002, 05:36 PM
I agree Captain. Thing is though, when you take a mold from a vintage item it sufers from shrinkage. So if that were the case this shuttle would be ever so slightly smaller than the vintage one.
I just put a pre-order in for mine. It'll cost me 120 but I'd rather pay that for a new one than 600 for a vintage one. I'm not bothered if there isn'y any electronics as I don't use them on the vehicles anyway. If they've taken that out I'd expect a little extra detail somewhere on the thing though. Perhaps coming up with a better landing gear perhaps? Or finding a better solution to that hand grip thing underneath. reworking the cockpit to have smoked plastic for the windoews would be the best idea as far as I'm concerned. I just don't like the clear plastic when the movie version had black. If it's still clear I'll just get some of that car tinting stuff and customise.
I'm happy to be geting it though. I thought i might miss out it being an American exclusive and all. I've justified the cost to my partner so I'm all cool with this. :)

plo koon 200
09-08-2002, 05:56 PM
There is one more thing I want to note. You can get a loose vintage Imp. Shuttle for cheap on ebay right now. I just bought another one for $30. So, I probably will not buy the FAO shuttle unless it like has a gray Imp. Officer more detail and like Emperor Jargo said have the windows have tinting. I sure hope that what we see now is better than what it looks like for its price.

Tycho
09-08-2002, 06:06 PM
What condition are your shuttle (s) in? - PloKoon

Mine has unequal um....steadiness (?) in the wings lowering mechanism. That is, one wing just drops down when I press the button, scaring me it will fall off, the other one lowers like it is still stiff from being new. I prefer this.

Otherwise, my vintage shuttle is complete, mint, and new looking. I paid $175 from a dealer shop.

It's in my Death Star set up.

My only reason for buying a new one is to put in Han and Chewie "just flying casual."

Chewie- Dejerik Champion, and I've got Han from that key-board over-lay console thing that let you explore the Star Wars galaxy.
He has a head set on so he can talk to the Death Star control station. (good way to get a use out of this figure IMO - since I don't waste anything, and I took apart that key board cockpit thing to make the cockpit to my custom blockade runner.

Jargo
09-08-2002, 07:41 PM
Question, any chance someone could take a pic of their vintage shuttles cargo hold and post it here? I've seen many pics of the shuttle either with wings deployed or simply stood there with vader and palpy stood next to it but never have i seen the actual insides. I've never even seen one of these in the flesh either. Just so i can appreciate any changes hasbro might have made. this would be really apreciated. I've got the action figure archive book but that doesn't show the shuttle off that well ad certainly not in close up. I'd just quite like to see the insides of this thing or any close ups of the cockpit and ramp, please... pretty please? :)

karinations
09-08-2002, 08:10 PM
Bah

Beast
09-08-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by karinations
Bah
Wow, that was the most well thought out and intelligent posts I have ever read on these forums. You know that that is a fine example of post padding, and you have been doing it alot today. You could always expand your thoughts so that we know what your saying Bah about. It's a little more appreciated then 1 and 2 word responses. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar binks

stillakid
09-08-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Question, any chance someone could take a pic of their vintage shuttles cargo hold and post it here? I've seen many pics of the shuttle either with wings deployed or simply stood there with vader and palpy stood next to it but never have i seen the actual insides. I've never even seen one of these in the flesh either. Just so i can appreciate any changes hasbro might have made. this would be really apreciated. I've got the action figure archive book but that doesn't show the shuttle off that well ad certainly not in close up. I'd just quite like to see the insides of this thing or any close ups of the cockpit and ramp, please... pretty please? :)

Please stand by...

stillakid
09-08-2002, 10:44 PM
...and the reverse...

Tycho
09-08-2002, 11:37 PM
Nice shots Stillakid! I haven't seen the inside of mine in years. It's behind glass in a Death Star scene to keep it from getting dirty.

What's your ship standing on? I have to display mine with the wings closed, due to space limitations. The new one I'm going to hang if it's light enough.

As you all can see from the interior, there's not any play features and not a lot of room. Figures that have bending knees will do alright in here.

I think you could put a bunch of CommTech Stormtroopers (y/n?)

As for Rebels, Luke Endor and Leia Endor from the speederbikes would look cool back here, no Endor Soldiers would sit good. R2D2 -fine, but not really 3PO. In the cockpit I strongly recommend Chewie Dejerik Champion and Han CommTech - though if you have the one from the computer game that I'd mentioned, this will look pretty cool as well (though Han wasn't actually wearing a headset in the film - he just used the cockpit comm button to talk to the Executer that was monitoring the Death Star shield operation.)

Just the same, if I hang it, you'll only really see the crew in the cockpit I'd guess (unless I decide to risk the dusting requirement and leave the side open when I display it - so Han can have a full crew - yeah, that idea is growing in appeal. I can still get speederbike Luke's and Leia's cheap at most online stores and I can put the bikes in the Gunships, though it sucks because I'd rather have my bikes come with more of those cool CloneTroopers!!!) Hmmmm. Maybe they'll put out new and better versions of Luke and Leia Endor. The Vintage Leia was perfect save for the simple face sculpt and stiff articulation - removeable helmet, gun in holster, etc. All back in 1984!

Now those resculpts I wouldn't mind so much, if they go in my shuttle!

Jargo
09-09-2002, 05:54 AM
Wow, thanks stillakid, exactly what I was after. It'll be interesting to see what hasbro do to make this re-release different from the vintage one. I reckon best hope is new decals. Oh and a lack of electronics. Anyone actually got the skinny on what's with or not with this giant yet?

Thanks again stillakid. :)

Tycho
09-09-2002, 09:10 AM
I'm another one that expects exactly the same thing as the vintage toy. That's all I'm expecting and that's what I paid for.

If they do anything better, well that's great of course, I just don't expect it. I mean why would they?

Darkross
09-09-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Otherwise, my vintage shuttle is complete, mint, and new looking. I paid $175 from a dealer shop.

Hey Tycho...how about posting a pic of your Death Star setup? You say it's behind glass...well post a pretty picture for all of us to see.

Tycho
09-09-2002, 11:15 AM
I don't have a digital camera. It's hard to tell whether I'm getting a reflection back with the small disposeable cameras I tend to use when I really need to take pictures. Maybe I'll try photographing my stuff.

But I'll describe it from left to right, if you will:

Vintage DS Plyst......Shuttle T. ......a child's kitchen ..................Vintage DS Plyst.
................................................pl yst. works perfect
.................................................a s DS hallways

The Death Star on the left represents ROTJ:

Gunners and stormtroopers are on the gun deck,

TIE pilots w. R2Q5 and R4M9 are racing to the elevator to get to their TIEs (if they had any) on the next level.

The next level is deserted save for a custom DSII Luke Jedi carrying Darth Vader minus one hand, towards the shuttle deck. I'd like to add Jerjerrod running with 2 DS Troopers trying to evacuate. I almost forgot I might need one of those accessory pack DS Troopers for this...(maybe 2 would be overkill - the focus should be on Luke and Darth)

The bottom level (floor around trash compactor) has AT-ST driver, Biker Scout, R2-Q5, the red Astro Droid, a Gonk moving to service the Shuttle. Palpatine and 2 Royal Guards are exiting. I left room for 2 dignitaries.

A Death Star Droid and a MOUSE DROID are going about. I'd like to add a generic Imperial Officer in the green / grey uniform to offset some different colors down here other than black, red, and white. They need to make this figure. Piett's a character. I will not use him in the Death Star Diorama. Same goes for Motti. They represent themselves, not generics, IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, in this child's play kitchen set, the floors line up exactly like the DS playset. It simulates events from ANH.

I have a trash compactor scene with the Stormtrooper Han and Luke, Chewie and the Princess in a "main chute" - it was supposed to be a dishwasher in the kiddie set.

On the top level, Tarkin is threatening Leia as Motti and Vader watch the destruction of Alderaan. The Interrogator Droid and Imp Gunner and Officer look on.

On the next level, Han & Luke Troopers and Chewbacca are blasting away 4 DS Troopers.

On the bottom level (closed off from the trash compactor scene) Luke, Chewie, and Han have rescued the Princess, but she's trying to take Luke's gun to shoot at something besides the 5 stormtroopers converging on them!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the far right DS Playset, Obi-Wan is climbing around the tractor beam control, while gunners and stormtroopers do their job.

One level lower, R2D2 and C-3PO are looking for a place to relocate their base of operations and try and monitor Luke, Han, and Chewbacca. An Imp Officer is trying to determine what the droids are doing in a "restricted area."

The next level down, Darth Vader and Tarkin are possibly watching the beginning of the Battle of Yavin, while Imperial Officers keep busy around them.

On the bottom level, Stormtroopers and R4M9 are searching for intruders. There's been an emergency alert in detention block AA-23. All sections are on alert!

And that's what I did in my big Death Star Setup.

I have a "roof" to add over the kiddie kitchen set, but it's currently green and needs a gray paint job before I'd put it in. I was going to put Space Troopers and E-web cannons (or the guns that came with the Clone Captains) up there. Have 3 Spacetroopers for this. Haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

bigbarada
09-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Hey, stillakid, you put one of those stickers on a little crooked.:p:D:D

No, really, great pics, makes me miss my Shuttle all the much more....:( I have to go cry now.... :cry:

plo koon 200
09-09-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
What condition are your shuttle (s) in? - PloKoon

Mine has unequal um....steadiness (?) in the wings lowering mechanism. That is, one wing just drops down when I press the button, scaring me it will fall off, the other one lowers like it is still stiff from being new. I prefer this.

My only reason for buying a new one is to put in Han and Chewie "just flying casual."

Chewie- Dejerik Champion, and I've got Han from that key-board over-lay console thing that let you explore the Star Wars galaxy.
He has a head set on so he can talk to the Death Star control station. (good way to get a use out of this figure IMO - since I don't waste anything, and I took apart that key board cockpit thing to make the cockpit to my custom blockade runner.

Mine is in good shape. It is not perfect but I do not think a real perfect one exists. It has no damage and some play value.

stillakid
09-10-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Hey, stillakid, you put one of those stickers on a little crooked.:p:D:D

No, really, great pics, makes me miss my Shuttle all the much more....:( I have to go cry now.... :cry:

It was my brother's originally, until he surprised me last year and gave it to me as a birthday present. (Now I have to guilt him out of the other stuff that I need :Pirate: )