PDA

View Full Version : First Episode 2 Carded Picture: Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Tycho
10-23-2001, 03:59 PM
Episode 2 carded Obi-Wan with Assassin Droid! (http://www.starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnewscontent.cfm?id=290)

The blue card looks great! At long last we finally have blue cards!

Obi-Wan looks awesome. He has the same lightsaber as Episode One, so I guess somebody on Naboo climbed down that shaft and got it for them when the local coroner checked it out for half-bodies.

His pose takes us back to the extreme action poses and doesn't look like his legs (knees and ankles) have articulation, so we're back to Han Hoth there, but still he looks good!

Also, the arms are articulated like the Naboo figures, not the ultimate arm articulation seen in the Jedi Duel figures (original E1 releases).

Any improvements based on RealScan technology are hard to see at this magnification, but I'm sure the figure will look great once we get a close-up, and better yet, once I'm holding him in my hands! Damm I want this figure!

Now I totally dig the assassin droid. Now let's not start spoiler discussions, but TFN was right on, while we're at it!

So what do you guys think?

SirSteve
10-23-2001, 04:04 PM
What do you think of the new Episode II Hasbro package?

Let's talk about it!

Jargo
10-23-2001, 04:56 PM
Minimalist isn't it? Blue is good, nice and neutral.The hands clasping the saber should please the vintage collectors. I like the way the pic is just a sticker on the blister.

I can't help but think of michael caine in 'The man who would be king' though when i look at Obi's face. It's probably just the lighting in the photo but he looks like he has lovely mutton chop moustache and sideburns to me. :) "Don't shoot until you see the white's of their eyes..."

The droid thingy looks quite cool. hope this is an indication with the size of the bubble that there will be more accessory pack-ins.

xboywonder
10-23-2001, 04:56 PM
I think the new package looks great. I really like the ROTJ hands and lightsaber in the upper corner... as far as Obiwan goes - well... if this one goes anything like EP 1 then say hello to the first peg warmer of the new year !!

But hey - I'm excited !!

sith_killer_99
10-23-2001, 05:04 PM
Blue! Wow, I guess Hasbro was listening.

Almost, where is the EP2 tag line? We all pretty much agree that we wanted each movie to get it's own special card. But the new cards have no EpisodeII logo, or even "Attack of the Clones" (as bad as that title is).

The package is nice, and the lightsaber is slightly remnicient of the original POTF line. I especially like the new bubble style, figure centered more on the card and the photo sticker on the bubble itself.

Overall, I can live with it.

So here's the big question, will Hasbro continue with the POTJ line? Will it simply be postponed or suspended during EP2 toy release?

Knowing Hasbro, they will redesign the cards and possibly rename the line after EP2.

Anyway, not too bad....SO WHAT DOES THE BACK LOOK LIKE?

broctoon
10-23-2001, 05:10 PM
I'm new here, so, um, hi.

Anyways, I love the new look for the package. I would have liked a bit more of a vintage look, but I can understand why they didn't do that. The new blue card is a vast improvement over the Ep I cards, which I really didn't like. I always thought they should have gone with a blue card years ago during POF2 instead of green over and over again.

It's also good to see Hasbro trying something different rather than just slapping a bad guy's face in the upper left corner and changing the color of the card. I was shocked to see something other than a simple thin blister in the lower right. And I totally agree with the person who is hoping this means more acessories and junk.

The only thing I don't like is that Attack of the Clones is so small, but maybe that's best since it's kind of a dumb name ;)

Overall, thumbs way up!

tessek01
10-23-2001, 05:42 PM
I have to say that a blue packaging is wonderful. However, I was thinking more along the lines of a mesh between the blade design of POTFII (excluding FlashPhoto) and Episode I: create a vertical blade with a burst at the tip that has a glow effect to it (not POTJ). The Episode I blade was composed of drawn lines and shades of the color red, so it didn't look "real," and we've already had a blade on an angle. I have a Estes Naboo Rocket at home and the package is that of Ep I in BLUE, minus the Darth Maul Face, and it looks good, so a 'GLOWING' blade would look awesome!
The only thing w/ my idea is that an image, as you know, is needed in the top left corner. One thing that might not define a particular movie is the icon found when one looks up the "Jedi Order," the "Trade Federation," or the "Galactic Republic" at www.starwars.com. This image is one not seen that often and kind of interesting. I think an image, not a face, should at least be used.
Anyway, the curretn package is good (i do think the clasping hands are AWESOME, but you wouldn't have that image w/ a blade on a package), but there is room for improvement.
Thanks for reading this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MTFBWY

Saaan Mcbro

evenflow
10-23-2001, 06:16 PM
I think I like the green better, but the clasping hands gets a thumbs up from me. :)

derek
10-23-2001, 07:13 PM
so tycho, episode 2 figures don't exist yet? huh????:)

i don't know about the packaging, but who cares, i'll be throwing that stuff away anyway!:)

the most interesting thing about this whole revelation from hasbro is the last paragraph of their press release. they state that no one can post images of their product. first the official star wars site opens their own forums and now hasbro says their product can't be photographed and posted on this site without their permission. looks like they are gonna start shutting down fansites.

what's funny is hasbro admitted it took 3 companies to come up with this card design.:)

bigbarada
10-23-2001, 07:19 PM
When I heard, way back in 1995 that Star Wars toys were making a comeback, I already had in mind what the best way to update the packaging would be. Needless to say, all cards from 1995-2001 were horribly disappointing; but this.....this is incredible!!! This is how the packaging should have looked from the beginning!!

I like how the movie title is kind of upstaged by the figure, and see no reason why all movies can't be released under this card. It shouldn't cause any real confusion. If you'll remember in the vintage line Tusken Raiders, Cloud Car Pilots and Hoth Soldiers were all released on ROTJ cards even though they never appeared in the movie.

My first choice would have been black, but in retrospect that would have made the packaging look a little dated from the outset, but blue was easily my second choice. Larger photos would have been nice also; but if more accessories is the trade off then I am very, very happy.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-23-2001, 07:41 PM
OK, I guess I get to be the lone voice of dissention. I was really hoping to get similar packaging to EP1 but with a blue card and something like Jango Fett's helmet in the upper-left corner OR something more like the vintage line cards with the card being a movie depiction of the character.

I really don't like the full-card bubble. I would rather have the half-card bubble instead like we've always had. The half-bubble has always been a trademark of the SW line. Now it looks like something more like the other figure series' packaging. I'm glad we got blue cards, but I'd rather have something darker and without all the wispy looking stuff in the background.

I seriously hope someone lost a bet or Hasbro's playing a joke on us and the card and bubble will change, but this looks like what we're going to get. :(

Oh well, I guess I can live with it if the figures retail for less than what they're going for now.

Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to the identity of the pack-in/accessory? I haven't read many spoilers on the 'Coruscant chase' but from the looks of the pack-in it looks like somekind of repulsorlift platform that OB1 could ride on to chase down who ever he's after. Maybe he stands on the upper face and the part to the left is the rudder.

broctoon
10-23-2001, 07:52 PM
The more I look at the packaging, the more generic I realize it is. For the person wondering what will happen to the Power of the Jedi line, I think it looks like they will be slapped on these puppies with a different sticker. The press release says nothing about this being EP II packaging, it just says that it will be released "in conjunction with" Ep II. Also, from what they said it seems like they were trying to design something that encompasses everything Star Wars.

I still like the design a lot, but I just think it's kinda weird that they aren't highlighting the movie name very much. I at least thought they would have a bigger sticker with "AOTC" higher up on the blister. I just think that it would be a little smarter promote the movie more (plus, the font for AOTC is pretty weak). Black would have been cool too, giving it a darker, moodier feel, but blue works for me. Plus, the fact that there are stars on the background rocks my world.

Petty complaints aside, I am still really happy with the new look 'cause I feared a total rehash of the Episode I packaging.

master jedi
10-23-2001, 09:17 PM
It's like the old '70s cards updated. I like it.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
10-24-2001, 01:23 AM
Didn't Hasbro say a few months ago that as soon as the EpII figures came out, the movies would be consolidated into one line, simply called "Star Wars?" I know I heard this in a few different places, does anyone else remember? If so, I imagine they would use the same packaging for all five movies, with the title of the movie on the sticker with the character's name. Since case assortments for EpII have been released, I imagine those figures will ship together, with figures from other movies shipping in seperate cases.

I voted for okay on the packaging, but I don't get too excited about packaging. I think it's an improvement on POTJ. I love how it has a kind of old-school throwback feel to it. I like that it's simple. I like that, without a character photo, it's less expensive. Hopefully Hasbro won't jack up prices again. OVerall, I approve of the package.

As for the figure, eh. It's all right. I'll try not to buy it as another OBi-Wan will probably come out that I like more. I forsee it being a pegwarmer, just as all EpI Obi's are now. I really wasn't expecting much from an Obi-Wan figure. I do hope that the droid and larger bubble areindications of more accessories with the figures next year. :)

JediTricks
10-24-2001, 01:53 AM
I don't like it, I know I said that about POTJ packaging and the updated POTJ packaging, but compared to this new one, those 2 are Rembrandts. This packaging seems like generic knock-off packaging, and that aurora and the lighter blue don't help either. I totally agree with MC about the bubble as well, the generic bubble in the center thing went out with Batman Beyond, it makes it look more like Star Wars soap than a Star Wars action figure. The boarder and the saber-hands feel like they desparately want to be the POTF packaging of 1985 (which itself desparately wanted to be the 1978 "SW" packaging), but the POTF line died a painful, quick death.

Tycho
10-24-2001, 01:57 AM
I think Obi-Wan C.C. might be a Deluxe Asst. figure:

the large accessory can't be accounted for with other characters.

[I've read the spoilers]

Padme, or JarJar without that large of an accessory would not need that big of a blister.

This Obi-Wan is not as articulated as we saw the first E1 version of him. I think that this is rather Resculpt #1 we're seeing here.

The other option is that they are going by way of scene-specific trophy asst. figures, and another Obi-Wan would come with a MicroMachines Jedi Starfighter packed in with him, and Padme would have her Royal Starship, etc. But what would R2D2 have? (ANH escape pod?) I doubt they are going this route. More plastic when they know we'd rather have action figure stands.

So again, I think Obi-Wan is the exception rather than the rule, or he is a Deluxe Figure, and the package will be slightly different for the regular assortment figures.

Pendo
10-24-2001, 06:22 AM
LOOKS GREAT!
Looks like the lightsaber is Qui-Gon's, it has the same handle. It must be a prototype figure because the lightsaber blade is blue, and we know that Qui-Gon has a green lightsaber, and from the 'Choices' video we also see a picture of Obi-Wan using a green lightsaber.

PENDO!

Eternal Padawan
10-24-2001, 09:04 AM
It's blue! It's blue, it's blue, it's blue. I told you so. It's blue. Blue! Blue, blue, blue. I told you so! Hooray!! It's blue!! Blue!!!

(ahem) I just wanted to say that I really enjoy this new design for the Star Wars packaging and for Hasbro picking the color BLUE is just great and superb and wonderful. And Hasbro is just a brilliant visionary and Hayden's action figure was just great and we were all blown away by it's performance. And I could go on and on about how wonderful this day is because, we've got new toys and new trailers and new Star Wars movies coming out in the next six months and I'm tremendously happy about everything. And it's BLUE! (tee hee)

Wooooof
10-24-2001, 09:27 AM
Awesome packaging!!! I love it!! But then again, it's just a card so who really cares? I'll admire it for as long as it takes for me to get the figure home from the store and then it's trash.

However, a HUGE improvement over those nauseating POTJ cards. BTW, JediTricks, I don't think POTF's "painful, quick death" was in any way due to the card design. I think that had more to do with Star Wars fever dying out in 1985.

Anyway, excellent work Hasbro!

Hey, Eternal Padawan, is it really blue?:p

Mandalorian Candidat
10-24-2001, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I don't like it, I know I said that about POTJ packaging and the updated POTJ packaging, but compared to this new one, those 2 are Rembrandts. This packaging seems like generic knock-off packaging, and that aurora and the lighter blue don't help either. I totally agree with MC about the bubble as well, the generic bubble in the center thing went out with Batman Beyond, it makes it look more like Star Wars soap than a Star Wars action figure. The boarder and the saber-hands feel like they desparately want to be the POTF packaging of 1985 (which itself desparately wanted to be the 1978 "SW" packaging), but the POTF line died a painful, quick death.

Thanks for getting my back JT! I thought I was the only one who didn't find the packaging appealing. I say bring back just about any of the previous packaging motifs to replace this style.

Can I get an AMEN?! :confused:

JediTricks
10-24-2001, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Wooooof
BTW, JediTricks, I don't think POTF's "painful, quick death" was in any way due to the card design. I think that had more to do with Star Wars fever dying out in 1985.I wasn't suggesting that the card design was the major factor in POTF's death - although I personally feel it did have something to do with it - my point was actually that if you're gonna emulate something, it's probably unwise to emulate something that didn't succeed. ;)

Candidat, AMEN! :D

Wooooof
10-24-2001, 09:52 AM
I wasn't suggesting that the card design was the major factor in POTF's death - although I personally feel it did have something to do with it - my point was actually that if you're gonna emulate something, it's probably unwise to emulate something that didn't succeed. ;)

That's a 10-4 good buddy! Read you loud and clear!

I figured it more emulated the original packaging myself but what do I know?

JEDIpartner
10-24-2001, 10:15 AM
I personally think the card is amazing. I like the fact that it is a generic card with a film and character specific sticker on the bubble. Wooooof stated that it would end up in the trash once he opened it when he got home. My cards rarely make it that far, but that's not the point. I like the fact that the card and the bubble allow for a little more "display" of the figures. I wish the figures weren't as "posed" looking, but there are so many schools of thought on that so I won't go there.

I think the figure looks pretty decent overall and I think the packaging is a nice nod to the vintage line while keeping the whole line fresh.

Well done!! :p

AmanaMatt
10-24-2001, 02:42 PM
I do like it! :D

The packaging has a vintagey kind of quality while still being very unvintage. The blue is a welcome color as is the hands holding the lightsaber icon. I prefer this much more to the somewhat crappy drawing of Maul in the corner. Everyone has wanted blue backgrounds and now we get blue.

As for some of the ones here complaining, with all due respect, I honestly do not know what you guys want with packaging; I some of you out there can design totally specific card designs that could blow this new one out of orbit, but come on, we have to be realistic - generic cards have become the standard for most modern toy companies and as generic goes, these are pretty sweet! :)

new card design: B
POTJ: B-
Episode I: C
all various POTF2: C

derek
10-24-2001, 04:32 PM
obi wan's saber looks like the old ones as opposed to the new style in the yet to be released eeth koth, the jedi council member.
what's the deal here?

and i don't think this is a delux figure. it has a title of "coruscant chase" denoting an event in the film, like the previous figures did.

and jeditricks, your description was dead on. these look like something a company would produce if they were making unauthorized star wars toys. i could just see the exact same packaging, with the "SPACE WARZ" label at the top, with a recast and repainted blue obi wan or some crap like this!:)

Mandalorian Candidat
10-24-2001, 04:58 PM
It seems that the majority of collectors on this board really like the new packaging while JT, myself, and a few others dislike it.

I wonder if lines are split between carded collectors and loose collectors or if like/dislike transcends how one keeps their figures. :confused:

Just for the record, I am a carded collector and really dislike the packaging. The POTF hologram packaging is like gold wrapping paper next to the excrement of the upcoming line.

Lobito
10-24-2001, 08:09 PM
I dont like it...its just too simple...reminds me of micromachines...i have nothing against micromach...but...oh well...i hope they change it. Yep, i votted and it sucks BIG time...:eek:

Tycho
10-24-2001, 10:25 PM
I like the packaging, especially the color and vintage style border, however, I'd prefer an off-center blister bubble so the figures can stack neatly in their cases they'll ship in, as well as hope they'd leave room to add full-size movie shot pictures like they did back in the days of the 12-backs.

"For the record" I buy only the figures I'll need to open for dioramas, but as I've ran out of room to set up everything I want to, I'll keep an Episode II carded wall up at least until Episode III.

Hopefully, I'll need more than 1 of characters like Dexter Jettster so I can open one right away. If not, I prefer my wall to look mint, at least for a couple years until I pull 'em down and put up E3.

[My current wall has only year 2000 and later figures up, as I'm tired of the red cards, though the last waves of each Ep1 red cards are up with my POTJ - but only POTJ from E1 - I opened my Classic figures right away, and put them in scenes I already had going on here]

JediTricks
10-25-2001, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Wooooof

That's a 10-4 good buddy! Read you loud and clear!

I figured it more emulated the original packaging myself but what do I know? Heh heh, in my original post, I mentioned that I thought the POTF'85 packaging was taken from the original '78 SW packaging, so on that, I agree with you... from a certain point of view. ;)

Originally posted by derek
and jeditricks, your description was dead on. these look like something a company would produce if they were making unauthorized star wars toys. i could just see the exact same packaging, with the "SPACE WARZ" label at the top, with a recast and repainted blue obi wan or some crap like this!:) That was too funny!!! I love it! "All your faverite caractors from SPACE WARZ" and the company doesn't even put their name on the packaging. ;)

Candidat, I'm a total card-opener, I'm a loose collector, so I don't think it goes down that party line. I think those who don't like it really will fall under both sides of that discussion.

MisterPL
10-25-2001, 11:13 AM
Oh, it's an ASSASSIN DROID! And here I thought I was just voting in a poll! Thanks for the unwanted SPOILER, SirSteve. Didn't you have anywhere else to put this poll?

JediTricks
10-25-2001, 11:54 AM
Hey Derek, this is what I picture (attached) with this packaging. ;)

derek
10-25-2001, 04:45 PM
but you should of made obi-wan's outfit blue or something like those bootleg toy companies do.:) i recently saw a 12 inch vader with a superman head on it. and i've seen numerous other bootleg toys with wacky paintjobs.

am i the only one noticing the lightsaber blade? why would hasbro change the blade on the eeth koth figure only to revert to the older style blade?

JediTricks
10-26-2001, 01:24 PM
I actually tried making the figure's skin yellow and the outfit green, but I was on a time budget and neither was working out for me, so I left them behind and stuck with the yellow saber.

Glad you dig it, and you have a great point, that IS the old style of saber! Start a new thread on that, I'm confident spoilers will be involved, but it's an interestinging point and should be discussed IMO (just not on this one because it was linked on the main page).

chewbacca71
11-06-2001, 10:16 AM
Speaking to those of you that keep the figures in the packages and do not open them, and store them away in boxes. With this new packaging, you have just doubled your cost of storage. With the current packaging, for the most part you could store two cards face to face and the store easily. With the new packaging you won't be able to do this.

Not that I care either way, just a thought...

JediTricks
11-07-2001, 11:36 AM
Wow, interesting point Chewie71... that's also true of the cases shipping to stores, who WON'T like it. (Why would they? Twice the amount of storage space for the same amount of product?)

bigbarada
11-07-2001, 11:19 PM
From the list of figures available in 2002, we already have two 2-packs (Jango/Boba; Tuskens) and that thing with Obi-Wan. So maybe the new line will be accessory heavy, hence the need for bigger bubbles.

I assume future versions of Threepio and Artoo will be packed together. Or maybe Artoo with Anakin and Threepio with Padme.

GNT
11-09-2001, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
From the list of figures available in 2002, we already have two 2-packs (Jango/Boba; Tuskens) and that thing with Obi-Wan. So maybe the new line will be accessory heavy, hence the need for bigger bubbles.

The bubbles aren't that much bigger than the current POTJ ones :)

JediTricks
11-09-2001, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by GNT
The bubbles aren't that much bigger than the current POTJ ones :) I believe they're twice as wide.

GNT
11-09-2001, 04:31 AM
I believe they're twice as wide.

The bubble is twice the size but the card is the same size as the POTJ :)

JediTricks
11-09-2001, 10:20 AM
True, the cards are the same width, but some carded folks store their figures the same way they ship, cards packed face-to-face for double the space-usage.