PDA

View Full Version : Did you buy the new Cantina sets?

Old Fossil
09-04-2002, 08:07 PM
I keep passing on these things, mainly because I already have at least 2 each of Greedo, Ponda, and Momaw. Greedo is the most appealing of them; his coloring is very close to the mark.

If you bought them, are you satisfied with your purchase? Would you recommend them? With the lack of other new figures lately, I'm getting bored with the hobby, and have turned to buying RealStands for my figures on display and the odd loose or carded figure off Ebay; but I am tempted by the Cantina sets for the simple reason that they are new, they are on the pegs, and I could buy them.

Battle Droid
09-04-2002, 08:18 PM
Haven't seen them.

Captain Trips
09-04-2002, 08:19 PM
I probably would if they were available around here. Everyone is still stuck on the Chewie and Obi Starfighter waves....

RATS!

Hellboy
09-04-2002, 08:27 PM
I bought 2 of each. One for my carded collection and the others to start my Cantina Diorama and I'm very pleased with the quality. My only concern is that we get curved bar pieces with the next wave. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

QLD
09-04-2002, 08:29 PM
I saw them at Wally World....but passed on them.

Rogue II
09-04-2002, 08:32 PM
I bought all 3. They're not all that bad. Hopefully, they will complete the bar. I don't understand why they put stools next to the bar, but oh well, I'll just turn the bar around and usethe other side so you can't see the stool.

thespar
09-04-2002, 10:14 PM
i picked all three up first sw toys i found in about a month

KIDD
09-04-2002, 10:25 PM
i have them and they are not that special

Jayspawn
09-04-2002, 10:26 PM
I bpught them. I think they are very cool. The Hammerhead set is my favorite of the 3. But I think they are worth the $10 a piece, the quality is great. I can't wait for the 2nd series.

Darth Vellner
09-04-2002, 11:15 PM
I did not get them....Now they are all gone!
Since all the sections are the same I'll wait till they come with "New" figures and get 6 of them and customize the 3 extras

Jedi Master Silas
09-04-2002, 11:45 PM
The Cantina set idea is a good one but why not put different figures that Hasbro has never made before in the sets instead of Greedo (which they have made fifty blue billion and they all look alike) Hammerhead etc........I did buy them so I cant complan to much but I sure wish they would have been more creative with new unproduces characters from the cantina!!

Prince Xizor
09-05-2002, 09:04 AM
I only bought the Greedo one, because just like you said, it was the most appealing.

Lyet
09-05-2002, 09:08 AM
I've passed on them so far, due mainly to the $10 price tag, but also due to not needing any more of these guys. They should of chose 3 more obscure aliens from the scene.

JEDIpartner
09-05-2002, 10:58 AM
I found Momaw Nadon and Ponda Baba... but I couldn't find a Greedo. I STILL can't find one and it's been two weeks. :(

Jedi Drew
09-05-2002, 11:29 AM
I have all three-they are O.K. JEDIpartnr, if I see the Greedo I'll hook you up with one. :cool: :cool:

Rogue II
09-05-2002, 11:34 AM
Greedo is my favorite of the 3. He has a better paint job that the Commtech version. Also, if you look inside his vest, there is a black blaster mark on his chest. The Commtech version has the blaster mark as well, but it is the same color as his shirt.

icatch9
09-05-2002, 11:56 AM
I got all three. They are cool. I have them (as I have all the figures from all the movies ever), so as a completest I have to buy them. They are cool. Slightly different that the ones befor. I like the leg features on Ponda. I hope they continue to use that on future figurs. Greedo is a lot more accurate in color than the Comm Tech one (what where they thinking?).

I'm happy with them and hope to see more with new aliens. I have visions of Deja Puhr coming in a pack and that would be bad :(.

Rogue II
09-05-2002, 01:00 PM
The next 3 are supposed to be Wuher, Dr. Evazan, and Kitik Keed'kak(a preying mantis type alien).

Jargo
09-05-2002, 02:25 PM
I have these on order. Would like to comment mor and say how great they are but my order has been delayed. When it comes it will be with the figure and accessory packs so at least I'll be getting all the goodies in one fell swoop :)

hate delays..... :(

JEDIpartner
09-05-2002, 02:30 PM
Delays are better than ORDER CANCELLED... wouldn't you say? :)

I know you've got my back there, Drew! Thanks again buddy!

Jargo
09-05-2002, 02:54 PM
Aint never had one of those. 'order cancelled' how strange. When i worked in retail we only ever took orders against stock so when something was out of stock the sign went up telling folk it was unavailable. We also got told to sell less than the stock orederd amount so that there was always a little in reserve. We never had a problem with having to cancel an order. It's thos damn greedy corporations isn't it? They just take take take all the time with nary a thought for the little guy out there in hicksville Arizona who doesn't have the means to get stuff from elsewhere town. Damn the corporations and their suit and tie wearing fatcat bastard executive employees who make all the rules and rip us off and gip us off and flip us the bird........

Got carried away again didn't I............? Shucks.....

:sur: *nonchalant whistle*

robman71
09-05-2002, 03:37 PM
I got these sets and I must say that I am very pleased with them. I know that many people don't think that Hasbro should be releasing older figures from the POTF line, but I welcome this action. When POTF2 was released in 95, I was concentrating on more important things in life and really did not pick up collecting figures until well after Episode 1 was out. I beleive that this is a good chance for those of us who did not have a chance to pick up those figures back when they were released to get something new.

aikman
09-05-2002, 03:46 PM
So they are great for people that didnt get them before then right?

How about the people that have them already?

10$ for a rehash of a lesser figure, no thanks. In 95 all that were on the shelves were hammerheads, the true definition of a pegwarmer....

Darth Banky
09-05-2002, 03:48 PM
The sets are great. I wanted them just for the bar and the cups but I'll take a detachable arm Ponda Baba any time it's offered.

Beast
09-05-2002, 04:05 PM
Actually Aikman, the figures are great for anyone that prefers more accurate figures. Greedo's skin and vest are finally the correct color. Momaw Nadon has the correct skin color, and correct outfit. And Ponda Baba has the often requested removable arm and bendable knees. Great figures all around. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sinister Lord
09-05-2002, 05:28 PM
I haven't seen these yet, but I already know I will pass on all of them... except for the new figure, Kitik Keed'kak. I already have versions of the others (Greedo, Hammerhead, Wuher, Ponda Baba, Dr Evazan) who are all currently standing in my POTF2 pop-up Cantina playset. I don't need the bar sections, since I already have a full bar in the playset. I still don't understand why Hasbro is doing a rehash of all these same five figures again... it wasn't that long ago when the ones from the POTF2 line were warming the pegs at the local toy store (except for Wuher of course, who was exclusive to the fan club). All the rest of them were very common figures. I fully expect these new ones to become pegwarmers too, especially considering the $10 price tag.

stad
09-05-2002, 05:34 PM
Yeah, Wuher didn't show up at retail until they clearanced him thru TRU for $1.97. Not that I found any of these, but I know a few people who did.

QLD
09-05-2002, 06:57 PM
I never saw any Wuher in the stores, but I did order mine through the fan club when they released it.

The True Maul
09-05-2002, 07:23 PM
I diddn't see them out yet but can't wait to get them!!! :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-05-2002, 10:20 PM
I have seen all three and I have passed up all three.

For $10 of my hard earned money, those figures don't seem to cut it. Perhaps it's because they don't seem entirely new.

But I know the drill. Those will be the only figures I'll see in a while. Then my $$$ will be burning a hole in my pocket, just asking to be spent. I'll get one. Then, I will feel guilty, and pick up a friend for him. Then, I will realize that they are incomplete and will be sad due to a missing member. I will then recall my own family and remember how sad it was when some of my own brothers and sisters moved away and since I don't want that to happen, I'll pick up the third figure to complete the set.

Hasbro gets my money again! Clever geniuses.

AdmiralPiett
09-06-2002, 01:15 AM
I hope the Dr. Evazan figure will be a resculpt because the POTF2 one with the spread apart legs looks sorta weird. As for these sets, I haven't seen them in stores yet. I probably won't buy them though. I'll just buy the previously unreleased figures off ebay and then put them in my pop-up cantina.
Piett

Thumb Wars
09-06-2002, 06:56 PM
you know, i saw these in the store the other day and i was like," YEAH!!! new figures!!!!". but then i really looked at them and i was a little disgusted by them. all they were was repainted versions of what i already had. and the "cantina" that they came with was reall not all that great. so, sadly i passed them up. i just really didn't like them at all, they could have been better.

DrewDewce
09-06-2002, 09:21 PM
Since I didn't collect between the vintage and epII figs, I didn't have newer versions of any of these three "new" figs and happily snatched them up. I was disappointed that they didn't have weapons. Of course, I didn't even notice this until I got them home . . .

Sinister Lord
09-06-2002, 10:35 PM
No weapons? That is a ripoff... all the POTF2 versions came with weapons... except for (no blasters!) Wuher, of course.

sith_killer_99
09-07-2002, 10:03 AM
Well, I went ahead and bought these. Not much else around right now. I bought a few of the Accessory Sets a couple of weeks ago, and haven't seen the newer waves, past Palpatine.

These are OK, really nothing special. The next wave seems VERY promising, and the, semi-reformed-completist-nature in me wants ALL of these sets, like the Target Accessory Sets.

Old Fossil
09-07-2002, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'm gonna hold off on 'em for the time being, and concentrate on tidying up my existing collection, maybe getting some vintage stuff off EBay with the money I'd otherwise spend on new Saga figs.

Sithkiller, I haven't seen anything new beyond the Palpatine wave, either, except these accessory sets. Kind of a bummer.

karinations
09-08-2002, 07:58 PM
Kinda had to..

Casual George
09-09-2002, 09:43 AM
I would like to have these but with some of the new figures coming out I'm opting to save the cash. I'll get them eventually.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-09-2002, 10:58 PM
I found this almost a week ago and didn't buy any.

I got paid last Friday and went back to Wal-Mart today and it looked like they hadn't sold any. Pegwarmer city. Not much of a surprise considering the rehashed characters, the overinflated price and the lame accesory. If I ever have money to burn (which is like never) or when they go on clearance, it is only then I will pick them up.

If only the Tie Bomber was so easy to find.

rynobot
09-09-2002, 11:01 PM
I bought them. my Walmart was flooded with them though. The only thing I don't understand is why the shortpacked Greedo to one per case, they should have just used a bigger box to ship them so they vould fit a second.

Beast
09-09-2002, 11:05 PM
Greedo is 2 per case, not 1 per case. They have to ship the figures in even numbers so they fit properly in the case. That means that someone had to ship at a smaller ammount in the cases. Ponda and Momaw are the most improved figures, and also haven't been on the shelf in years. The last Greedo figure was back in 99 so he's alot more recent. That's why they are packed Greedo (2), Momaw (3), and Ponda (3). :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
09-09-2002, 11:10 PM
That's right, but it's still short packed, and it will make it harder to collect the whole set if there is less of one guy. They still could use a bigger case to ship though.

Beast
09-09-2002, 11:16 PM
I doubt that Wal-Mart would want cases containing 12 sets in them. That would be how big they would have to go to get an even number of each in the cases. But from what I heard they may change the cases around later and change the pack out ratio. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks