PDA

View Full Version : Transformers...

notafinga
09-05-2002, 03:10 AM
I read that a new comic series based on the old characters from the original line was in the workz, geared towards the older fanbase.
Anybody got any info on this?

El Chuxter
09-05-2002, 01:09 PM
Sorry to say this, notafinga, but issue five is due out in a week or so, after a long delay. Issues 1-4 are impossible to find, but a trade paperback is in the works.

Basically, the art is incredible, but the story is almost nonexistent. The writer has no concept of the characters (or at least has yet to demonstrate that he does), the pacing is horrible (it's maybe 1.5 issues worth of story so far), and the plot is full of holes and unanswered questions that I doubt will ever be answered.

But the art. . . man, it makes it worth looking at, at least.

notafinga
09-05-2002, 06:55 PM
thankz, Chuxter.
I had a feeling it was already in print, unavailable to yours truly.

Kinda stinks that the story was aweful. I thought the old Marvel limited series was really well done, as well as most of the ensueing issues.

Eternal Padawan
09-06-2002, 12:06 PM
Welcome back General notafinga. :)

I flipped thru the issues that I've seen at the local comic shop, but I agree with Chuxter's assessment. Not very verbose in the storyline aspect, so I skipped it.

I'm much more interested in DevilDue's new G.I.Joe book. It's coming along nicely. :D

ROLLO!

El Chuxter
09-06-2002, 12:46 PM
Yes! Definitely check out the new GIJoe series. The earlier issues are a tad hard to find, but they've been reprinted if you're only looking for reading copies. Both the Eternal Padawan and myself had serious reservations about a Hama-less GIJoe, but Blaylock is a worthy successor who seems to have everything down. And Hama's going to do the first story arc in an "Order of Battle"-esque series called Frontline! :D

Eternal Padawan
09-06-2002, 05:19 PM
Speaking of GIJoe (Transformers threads always seem to get co-opted by GIJoe don't they?) I'd really like to see a mini-series about their very first missions and how all the originals were recruited. Marvel issue#1 started with the team already with several missions under it's belt and only hinted at previous missions (including the tragic middle east helicopter ride where Snake Eyes lost his face and voice). Unless this was covered in the Special Mission books, how about a recruiting mini series and their first battle with Cobra...all written by Hama of course. :D

ROLLO!

El Chuxter
09-06-2002, 05:41 PM
One of the later issues of the Marvel series shows the mission where Snake Eyes loses his face and voice. I forget what number it is, but when I either go through my collection or find the disc I saved several issues on (I've not forgot you, BTW, Quite-Long Dong!), I'll let you know which issue.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-06-2002, 08:04 PM
I thought GI Joe #26 & #27 had the "origin of Snake Eyes," and I thought the mission was in Southeast Asia.

I remember when they introduced STAR WARS type technology. That was when I stopped collecting.

Star Wars, Star Wars...

BTW, if you know it twice or double, does that make it the whole battle? ;)

Eternal Padawan
09-07-2002, 04:39 AM
Lonzo (Stalker)Wilkinson , Thomas "Tommy" (StormShadow) Arishikage, Wade (A Crimson Guard) Collins, and Snake Eyes were all in a L.R.R.P (Long Range Recon Patrol) in southeast Asia ('nam) and there was an ambush where SE got shot up pretty bad, but he lost his face and voice during an early GIJoe mission in the middle east when the govt failed to put the proper filters on their combat choppers and sand got into them and caused them to crash into each other. Everybody managed to jump free except Scarlett, who's rigging got caught in the door. SE stayed on the chopper to free her and when one chopper's rear blades slammed into the other, it set off the fuel which blew through the window and hit SE square in the face and throat.

ROLLO!

Eternal Padawan
09-12-2002, 09:56 AM
Anybody know where I can find back issues of G.I Joe? For some reason I stopped with issue 141, and then my collection skips to the final issue #155. I'm also looking for the "alternate #61 McFarlane issue" that they mentioned in #155. Anybody have some good online hunting grounds?

Thanks!

ROLLO!

El Chuxter
09-12-2002, 01:17 PM
Later back issues are impossible to find and extremely pricey when you do find them. A site called cobraaaa.com had #s 100-155 posted, but they vanished. I assume Hasbro and/or Marvel caught onto their little scheme.

I was able to download all of these in JPEG format and save them on CD-ROM (I also missed a handful of the now HTF later issues). I've been looking for a copy of the CD, since I promised to get the files to Quite-Long Dong when I find them, and I can do the same for you if you're just interested in reading them. (I doubt JPEGs are going to appreciate in price. :))

Bel-Cam Jos
09-12-2002, 07:41 PM
So if I told you I sold my Joe comic collection a several years back, you'd get mad? It was:
#1-80
All the Special Missions
The digest sized #1-12(?)
All annuals

Price? I'm hesitant to say.

Eternal Padawan
09-13-2002, 09:41 AM
Heck no. I have two or three copies of every issue between 25 and 125.

If you told me you sold issues 142-154 for $5, THEN I'd be a little miffed at you. ;)

I'd appreciate those El Chuxter. Everywhere I look online, there $15-20 EACH :eek: I imagine their prices skyrocketed when the new series came out and everybody was scrambling to find out what happened at the end of the last series...

ROLLO!

El Chuxter
09-17-2002, 01:09 PM
That's exactly what happened, EP. :(

I picked up Transformers G1 #5 and Armada #2 this weekend. TFG1 is a vast improvement over the first four. It's not the best, and still short on story, but pretty decent. Looks like the writer finally discovered he needs to demonstrate some knowledge of the characters.

Armada #1 sucked, but #2 was as good as the first was bad. I actually found myself liking some of the Minicons.

I can't wait for Transformers: The War Within myself. A mini-series about the early days of the Cybertronian War. . . written by Simon "Transformers Writing God" Furman! WOOOOO!!

El Chuxter
10-11-2002, 03:36 PM
I got The War Within #1 yesterday and it RULES! This is, without a doubt, the best Transformers comic since at least the classic Transformers #80 (the last issue of the first series).

Simon Furman doesn't disappoint in the writing department, and one of the nicest touches was that this could be a prequel to any of the three G1 continuities (Marvel, Dreamwave, or cartoon/movie). We get to see Sentinel Prime (mentioned by the Matrix in the Matrix Quest storyline), how Optimus (Orion Pax?) became the Prime robot, Wheeljack and Bumblebee transforming into their classic cartoon Cybertronian modes, and some tidbits about the origins of the Cybertronian Wars. Issue #1 is a doozy and it looks like it's going to get better.

I got GIJoe #10 at the same time and loved it, but The War Within was several times better!

Highest possible recommendation!

Eternal Padawan
10-19-2002, 10:22 AM
I picked up G.I.Joe Frontline today. It promised to have answers, but all it had was Hawk getting shot in the chest...again. I have decided to buy it and wait on reading the whole thing until all four issues in the story arc are out. It was nice to see Hama's name in the writer's line. :)

El Chuxter
10-21-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I didn't know that had come out yet. Did Battle Files #3 ever hit shelves, since I never saw it at my comic shop?

Eternal Padawan
10-21-2002, 01:15 PM
Yeah, BF #3 came out but it was just the new crap vehicles clogging up the toy shelves. I might be wrong. I just flipped thru it briefly.

El Chuxter
10-25-2002, 01:11 PM
Frontline is good. It looks like Hama might be a tad rusty with the characters--they just didn't have quite the same feel as when he was writing them ten years ago. But it wasn't too much to keep me from loving this issue.

GIJoe #11 is sweet, too. Blaylock isn't as good as Hama in his prime, but he's a worthy successor. I never cared for Heavy Duty before this issue. He's more than just a Roadblock knock-off. :)

Transformers Armada #3 isn't bad. It introduced the kiddies from the show (or, rather, kiddies with the same names as the kiddies in the show). But they didn't dominate the story too much, and this series is a million times better than the G1 comic. I'll collect it as long as it lasts. Given Hasbro's commitment to Transformers lines lately, I expect that to be about nine more issues at the most, unfortunately.

Transformers G1 #6. . . . Well, the art looks rushed and is really tough to follow at times. Combine that with a horrible script that is not only not as good as #5, but worse even than the first four, and Rob Liefeld's Brigade loses out as the WORST COMIC EVER! I'm not even talking about the <spoiler> issues, though they bugged me, too. (If y'all want spoilers, let me know.)

Eternal Padawan
05-29-2003, 02:39 PM
Sorry. Brigade still has that honor. ;) I like how Leifeld was the founding member of Image and all the others voted him out Survivor style. :crazed:

Eternal Padawan
08-07-2003, 11:27 AM
Now that Andy Wildman has returned to Transformers, I think it would be sweet if they could rustle up the only other TF artist I've ever dug.

He did issue 7 and 8 of the original series. Ken or William Johnson? I can't even remember his name, but he drew Ratchet sweet and this cool battle between the Dinobots and Shockwave. I never saw anything from him again.

Anybody know what he's up to? Dentistry in Columbus, OH? Awning salesman in Butte, MT?

SithDroid
08-21-2004, 09:02 PM
I was wondering if anyone here knows of a cool website that has complete information and or pictures of the new Transformer series by Dreamwave? Their website isn't very accurate. The reason I am asking is because I need to find out which issues I have missed including variants. Also any other Transformers websites that have complete lists and or pictures of the Generation One toys. Thanks.