PDA

View Full Version : anyone still in school?

Bobajames
09-05-2002, 10:25 PM
Is anyone here still in school? I'm sure quite a few of you are. I got a question (for grown ups too i guess, you used to be in school :) ) do people make fun of you for liking Star Wars so much? People at my school think I am cool and "unique." In fact i think for my senior superlatives I believe i have been voted most unique, though i won't know until the end of the year. Anyway, share your experiences with your love for star wars in the place where you probably get criticized the most if you want to!!
Some people just say that i am a "star TREK" fan just to make me mad... i try not to let it get the best of me.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-05-2002, 10:35 PM
For the first time in 17 years of my life, I will not be going back to school this fall.

Of course I will be enrolling in graduate school come January. Myself and a lot of friends who graduated and yet could not find jobs in this unstable upstate NY economy.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh! It never ends.

And no. I don't feel like a big dork for liking Star Wars nor do I get ridiculed much, although a friend of mine likes to bring it up pretty much everytime we meet. He can't get past the fact that I am 22 and I am still enamored by SW. What I can't get past, is, that, I am 22 and have yet to have a girlfriend.

Thank you, I think I will be going to cry now.

TylerD
09-05-2002, 10:51 PM
Yes, I am still in school. I am a high school junior. I don't really advertise my collecting hobby that much, so only about 25 people out of 2000 students know that I am into SW. They think its kinda cool, except that I am crazy!

TylerD
09-05-2002, 10:53 PM
BTW, Hey LBC, don't feel bad. I too am yet to have a girlfriend.....perhaps it is a disease among SW collectors? ;)

Bobajames
09-05-2002, 10:57 PM
I have a girlfriend...... :D sorry not rubbin it in or anything. I actually did advertise my love for star wars last year when i played in the talent show. I brought my lightsaber toy and in between verses i showed all 2000 of them crazy kids what kind of jedi i really am!! (btw we played a song not many people have heard of called me and you on the big screen by Lanemeyer. We didn't win of course, the judging is one-sided :mad: )

Capitan_Moroni
09-05-2002, 10:58 PM
I'm a senior in high school. Nobody knows I really collect outside of the standard 6 friends that I hang out with every weekend. I do have a gf and play football and all that though..

AdmiralPiett
09-06-2002, 02:54 AM
Hey LBC,
Upstate NY isn't the only place where there's no work! I just graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and there's no jobs here in Illinois either. :(
I'm working on getting my insurance license now because I'm one of those people that needs to feel like they're always moving forward. It really bothers me to not have work to do so I figure if I can't get a job, I'll make my own job and open my own insurance business.
As for being unique for liking Star Wars, all of my friends and a lot of my family (extended included) know that I like Star Wars and they think it's cool. Even my Star Trek fan friend is ok with it. But EVERYONE knows me for liking GI Joe. I think GI Joe fans are a bit more scarce nowadays than Star Wars fans. I am both.
Piett

hango fett
09-06-2002, 05:59 AM
i'm in that hell you call school! it's not to bad this year because i only have 1 hard class...biology..nobody really pics on me for SW, but some people just don't like and think of me as that thing they don't like about it. as long as i like it, i'm fine!
h

Nexu
09-06-2002, 06:36 AM
I'm a senior in HS.

187-Maul
09-06-2002, 08:23 AM
well I'm still in school
and to relieve you (LBC & TylerD) I'm 15 (almost 16) and never had a girlfriend too
although I am pretty close to having one since we have the same school way (I walk her home etc.) and I really like her, she's just so gorgeous, and smart, and funny, and nice, and... you know what I mean:)
there's a party soon coming up so maybe something will happen there (I sure hope so!)

edit: oops, I got so caried away with talking about her (really can't get my mind of her) I forgot to actually answer the question
well, not too many people of my school know about my collection habit (some from the grade above me but they find the figs cool) and most male friends of my class (if I'll start something with a girl from my class I'll rather tell her later since she might get scared away or get any prejudices before she even gets to know the real ME) but almost everybody of my class know about my SW-fandom and they actually don't really bother about it or find it stupid or anything like that
at least I have a real hobby:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-06-2002, 05:46 PM
I'm in seventh grade.

Jeez I feel young.:rolleyes:

sith_killer_99
09-06-2002, 06:13 PM
Well, next year I will be having my 10 year reunion.

Yep, I graduated back in 1993!:eek:

There wasn't much going on in the way of Star Wars back then. I didn't really get into the hobby 'til 1998-99.

I saw ALL of the re-releases at the theaters, as well as the originals. ;)

I don't really talk about my collecting at work, though, most of my co-workers know about it. They never really say anything about it, except when I took leave for the midnight release 4/23:D They just kinda laughed and said "have fun." Hey, I'm the Shop Foreman, and I out rank almost everyone I work with...gotta love that.;)

Ooops, I forgot about College. I am currently taking classes and will finish my degree in Dec.....hopefully.:crazed:

QLD
09-06-2002, 06:16 PM
Same here Sith Killer. I finished in 93 as well. ;) Still haven't finished college yet though :eek:

DeadEye
09-06-2002, 07:17 PM
I'm 17 and a senior in high school. I've had a few girlfriends. Only three people know of my SW collecting...
No one at my school annoys me or picks on me.

Huckleberry Josh
09-06-2002, 07:42 PM
I'm 18 and I just graduated last year. Some people did make fun of my SW collecting but the ones who did were just a bunch of jerks who made fun of everyone. I really didn't give a crap what they thought anyway. I'll always love SW!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-06-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by TylerD
BTW, Hey LBC, don't feel bad. I too am yet to have a girlfriend.....perhaps it is a disease among SW collectors? ;)

Yes, I have noticed that. Perhaps next time when I go hunting for a girl, I will not wear a fake Jedi Braid or bring my Star Wars figures with me. :)

DeadEye
09-06-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner

Yes, I have noticed that. Perhaps next time when I go hunting for a girl, I will not wear a fake Jedi Braid or bring my Star Wars figures with me. :)

LOL!!! Just be yourself, dude. If a girl won't accept you for who you are then she isn't worth being with. Don't change!

QLD
09-06-2002, 09:17 PM
Unless she is really hot. That can be worth compromosing your principles for, at least for a little while. I would certainly pack all my SW stuff up for a few months with a nice Cameron Diaz look-alike.

;)

Darth Sidious
09-06-2002, 09:17 PM
I am still in high school, and a few of my friends and all of my best friends know about my collecting, and they think it is pretty cool. Even friends who normally didn't like (Or dislike) SW have become interested since I introduced them to it, and I am the foremost SW authority in my area. (Lol, I'm recalling a friend who was rather arrogant of his knowledge saying "What the Hell is a Sith Holocron? Or repulsorlift...Or Phlutdroid...I could go on all day. :D) Anyway, I have never had a girlfriend either but I'm not really expecting it to happen either. They don't know about my liking of SW, but I would tell them if they asked, it doesn't bother me if they know. And those who hate SW wouldn't try to attack me, I got a reputation for being sort of evil or whatever. Which can be a good thing, sometimes. But anyway, I am in school, and I like SW, and I don't care what anyone else says.

DeadEye
09-06-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Unless she is really hot. That can be worth compromosing your principles for, at least for a little while. I would certainly pack all my SW stuff up for a few months with a nice Cameron Diaz look-alike.

;)

Nice talk for a married man! :D:D j/k....Don't bite my head off! :p
Anyway, if she is hot, half the time her personality will leave much to be desired. And if she's hot and also has a great personality, the only problem is that there's no way she'd be single! :D

QLD
09-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Hey, I am ENGAGED, not married ;)

And just because I am going to be married, doesn't mean I will be dead. And for all you know we could be swingers! :eek:

;)

ANd yes, the rule of thumb is, go for hot chicks that are pains in the butt, or ugly chicks that are cool. Choose one path and go forward. :D

In high school I just went for the ugly chicks. They were usually cool, I always had a date, and they usually did....errr...stuff. :D

Anyway.....this is all of Love Advice from the Donger that you will get! :)

DeadEye
09-06-2002, 09:37 PM
Good advice, Donger.
Best of all, though, is to go for a hot chick that is also cool! :D

InsaneJediGirl
09-06-2002, 09:38 PM
Well..I'm a junior in H.S.(I'm 17) and no one has picked on me.Mainly because I'm homeschooled and take online courses:D

I was picked on in 7th and 8th grade because I was a geek..but when I went to a private school in 9th grade,I didnt tell anyone..although I regularly read the SW Insider at lunch:D

Never had a boyfriend..although I have been asked out by other Geeks*Shudders*The way I see it a boyfriend really gets in the way of my goals in life,and..at 17,how many relationships are really going to last?:rolleyes: :confused:

QLD
09-06-2002, 09:40 PM
*hands* IJG his card.....give me a call in a year....

Nice talking to you.....

Did anyone ever tell you that you could be a model? Seriously.....call me....

;)

DeadEye
09-06-2002, 09:43 PM
Good one, Donger!

The longest relationship I've ever been in was seven months! :stupid:

InsaneJediGirl
09-06-2002, 09:44 PM
*hands* IJG his card.....give me a call in a year....

Nice talking to you.....

Did anyone ever tell you that you could be a model? Seriously.....call me....

;)

LOL:D *Runs away to her Mammy*Theres a man who calls himself Donger that wants to take pictures of me!Scary;)

I'll pass,btw:crazed:

QLD
09-06-2002, 09:47 PM
Hey, is that your sister? That's your mom? No way!

Hi Ms. IJG, has anyone told you that you could be a model? Seriously, call me..... *hands her my card*

;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-06-2002, 10:04 PM
Hey, I am ENGAGED, not married ;)

And just because I am going to be married, doesn't mean I will be dead. And for all you know we could be swingers! :eek:

;)

ANd yes, the rule of thumb is, go for hot chicks that are pains in the butt, or ugly chicks that are cool. Choose one path and go forward. :D

In high school I just went for the ugly chicks. They were usually cool, I always had a date, and they usually did....errr...stuff. :D

Anyway.....this is all of Love Advice from the Donger that you will get! :)

Wanna know my advice?

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
Told from my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you!

Hey man!
Yeah?
I saw, your wife the other day!
You did?
Yeah, and she is u-gly!
Yeah, but she sure loves me!

Sorry, I'm a compulsive quoter from Oldies music

Bobajames
09-06-2002, 10:53 PM
Do any of you know people (like large numbers of them) who have never seen star wars? so many of them can't tell the difference between obi-wan and "dark" vader (they can't pronounce it either..... ugh there are so many people who don't know what i am talking about when i start talking about that. I called them culturally illiterate (they are).

TylerD
09-07-2002, 01:02 AM
Hey LBC, that song is one of my favorites...I too enjoy oldies music...Who is our favorite singer/group?

DeadEye
09-07-2002, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Bobajames
Do any of you know people (like large numbers of them) who have never seen star wars? so many of them can't tell the difference between obi-wan and "dark" vader (they can't pronounce it either..... ugh there are so many people who don't know what i am talking about when i start talking about that. I called them culturally illiterate (they are).

I do! His name is Adam Luttrell...he's on crutches and everyone calls him "Whatshiscrutch" but sometimes say "Whatshiscrotch." He's never seen Star Wars and doesn't intend to.

sith_killer_99
09-07-2002, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I know this lady at work, she's in her early-mid 30's and NEVER seen Star Wars. Poor woman.:(

187-Maul
09-07-2002, 10:44 AM
I have some kids in class that have never it too
and I'm not sure if my mom has ever seen the classic trilogy...

The True Maul
09-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Quite a few of my friends like Star Wars but the others don't even know what it is!! :)

hango fett
09-07-2002, 11:39 AM
everyone in my school knows what it is, and just kind of let's the people who do like them go about there (our) buissness...
h

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-08-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by TylerD
Hey LBC, that song is one of my favorites...I too enjoy oldies music...Who is our favorite singer/group?

Don't want to get the thread off topic Tyler nor make anyone gag at the selection of music, so I'll PM you a couple of my favorites.