PDA

View Full Version : Admiral Piett's Third Chance?

Darkross
09-06-2002, 11:20 AM
Why didn't Vader kill Admiral Piett at the end of ESB when he "FAILED Vader AGAIN!" when he let the Millenium Falcon get away?

My take on this...is that Vader didn't hold Piett responsible for the Falcon getting away...somehow Vader knew that it was something or someone (R2D2) other than Piett that enabled them to elude capture.

Any thoughts?

stillakid
09-06-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Darkross
Why didn't Vader kill Admiral Piett at the end of ESB when he "FAILED Vader AGAIN!" when he let the Millenium Falcon get away?

My take on this...is that Vader didn't hold Piett responsible for the Falcon getting away...somehow Vader knew that it was something or someone (R2D2) other than Piett that enabled them to elude capture.

Any thoughts?

Um, yeah, I think you pretty much nailed it on the head. I thought it was entirely obvious, but that's just me. I'm sure
somebody will chime in and claim that it was "the Force" that "told" him or some other silliness.

Vader wasn't in the "chase" mode like he had been earlier in the film with the Falcon. He had finally gotten the chance to confront his son and in a way, unburden himself with the secret of their relationship. Though we don't really know exactly what the event was (yet) that drove him to being such a bad guy, a person can only stay angry for so long before mental exhaustion sets in.

(In contrast, the Emperor wasn't where he was necessarily because of anger or hatred. He was motivated by a quest for personal power and ultimate domination. Why? Who knows. Maybe he got sand kicked in his face one too many times at the beach when he was just a lad. But Vader's motivation for being the person he was is entirely different.)

I think that that is the state Vader was in by the end of the Empire Strikes Back. For so long, he had killed indiscriminately...first (presumably during and after the Prequels) for directed reasons like revenge or something, then afterwards in ANH and ESB just because killing had become second nature to him. He didn't need a reason anymore, it was just another way to continue his "quest" without obstacles in his way.

So with the Jedi all but exterminated finally and the Republic all but wiped out, Anakin/Vader's motivation to remain so angry could let up a little. Coincidently, it is at this same period of time when he is forced to confront his past and the person that he used to be in the form of his own son, Luke. The timing couldn't have been worse for him (as Vader). Here, he's worked for years to destroy that which caused him so much pain (as we should see in Ep III...something justifiable, not that nonsensical rambling we witnessed in AOTC) and now that it's all over, his sense of purpose is lost.

It's kind of like the US winning the Cold War with the Soviet Union. "Now what do we do?" is the question. Unfortunately for us, those psychotic religious fanatics gave us a new enemy to worry about. In the same way, "the Empire" has wiped out the visible foundations of the Old Republic, but is left with the nitpicky work of cleaning out the "terrorists/Rebels." Vader is left with the quandry of what to do next when Luke arrives on scene. He is growing older, is physically exhausted, mentally exhausted, and confused as to how to handle the situation when the Falcon bursts suddenly into hyperspace. He even lacked enthusiasm for the chase when he arrived on board the Executor. Unlike the previous pursuits, his delivery of orders was rather subdued, and could be interpreted as lack of desire to really capture the ship. So when it vanishes from site, the last thing on his mind is Piett or anyone else. His thoughts are with his son, with his own past, and what his own future might hold in store.

El Chuxter
09-06-2002, 12:40 PM
Also, Vader knew (or at least suspected) that Luke would investigate his claim and realize that he was Vader's son. At that point, Luke would have to face him. So Vader's somewhat resigned to waiting for the inevitable confrontation.

tagmac
09-06-2002, 08:21 PM
Not to mention, at that point, Luke was "damaged goods." By letting the ship escape, it gave Luke the chance to bee 100% healed by the time they would meet again.

mini-rock
09-07-2002, 04:19 PM
I thought it was cool the way Vader could break a person down with words, and Piett took it. He never once talked back to Vader like some other officers (dead now) did.

Vader - "Asteroids do not concern me Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses."

stillakid, great post. :)

Megs 2
09-09-2002, 01:35 PM
I thought that maybe Luke's goodness/innocence influenced his father after the duel/confrontation. That's why Vader didn't deal w/Piett. It seemed that Vader wasn't himself (evil-wise) in Jedi. In ANH he was a meany didn't care about anyone or anything. Crush the Rebellion that's all. In TESB Vader's obsession w/the search for his son made him worse. No one interfers w/my primary goal to find my son. Everyone is expendable. That's how I see it. Thanks.

Darkross
09-11-2002, 11:56 AM
Part of me always thought that Piett was one of the only officers that Vader actually respected and was compitent enough to command under him. This was evident in ESB when Piett found a lead that Ozzel wanted to dismiss...which ultimately proved Piett had good instincts...Like Vader.

Piett: "...but sir...the Hoth system is supposed to be void of human life forms!"

Vader: "That's it...the rebels are there!"

mini-rock
09-11-2002, 09:13 PM
Part of me always thought that Piett was one of the only officers that Vader actually respected and was compitent enough to command under him. This was evident in ESB when Piett found a lead that Ozzel wanted to dismiss...which ultimately proved Piett had good instincts...Like Vader.

Agreed, but IMO, Vader also tolerated him 'cause Piett is a "yes" man.

chewie
09-11-2002, 10:40 PM
Unlike the snafus that caused the other admirals and captains to get force choked, there was no cause to blame Piett. The ones that did get choked screwed up ever so slightly. Vader was personally overseeing this particular capture attempt, and if he was blaming anybody, he blamed himself at the loss.

Captain Trips
09-12-2002, 09:12 AM
I always thought that Vader was simply emotionally spent after his first face-to-face meeting with his son, and perhaps, it is a first glimpse of some of the good Luke sensed in Vader at that meeting on Bespin.

Darkross
09-12-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Captain Trips
I always thought that Vader was simply emotionally spent after his first face-to-face meeting with his son, and perhaps, it is a first glimpse of some of the good Luke sensed in Vader at that meeting on Bespin.

True...I guess that I never realized that there might have been good in Vader (evidenced in ESB) by sparing Luke. I always just thought of it as he was trying to get Luke to join him to help him over-throw the Emperor....I don't believe that Vader would have killed Luke even if Luke didn't jump off of the platform on Bespin. If Vader had captured him later on (instead of the Falcon getting away)...I think Vader would have used Leia / Chewey to blackmale Luke to joining the darkside as the Emperor tried to do in ROTJ.

stillakid
09-12-2002, 11:46 AM

...to black-male ....

Would that be Lando? :rolleyes:

www.dictionary.com

Darkross
09-12-2002, 11:56 AM
A Typo....didn't realize! Sorry!

Darkross
09-12-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by stillakid

Would that be Lando? :rolleyes:

www.dictionary.com

NO!

Arrogant Arse
10-04-2002, 02:38 PM
What you don't see is the buracracy of the empire. After Vader choked Ozzel and Needa, someone from Human Resources showed up with a bunch of forms for him to fill out regarding his opinion of these particular employees, and the reasons for letting them go. There was this big fear within the Empire that Mrs. Needa would take them to court for continuing insurance and pension payments for her and her 9 children. Vader went to his meditation chamber to do paperwork. It was so bad that he had to take his helmet off because it gave him a massive headache.

Vader didn't choke Piett because he didn't feel like going through that horrendous paperwork again.

The Overlord Returns
10-04-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Arrogant Arse
What you don't see is the buracracy of the empire. After Vader choked Ozzel and Needa, someone from Human Resources showed up with a bunch of forms for him to fill out regarding his opinion of these particular employees, and the reasons for letting them go. There was this big fear within the Empire that Mrs. Needa would take them to court for continuing insurance and pension payments for her and her 9 children. Vader went to his meditation chamber to do paperwork. It was so bad that he had to take his helmet off because it gave him a massive headache.

Vader didn't choke Piett because he didn't feel like going through that horrendous paperwork again.

Kudos to you sir for your nickname......
:D

jjreason
10-04-2002, 03:40 PM
I think it's because Vader respected Piett for taking responsibility for his decisions. We don't see this until ROJ (I believe - "Ill tell Lord Vader"). Piett seemed less egotistical than Ozzel (with his "Surely you can't be serious" tone of voice) and more competent than Needa (whom we don't get to know as much about).

Vader knows full well who's "towing the line" and who's taking up space.

tgr3328
10-15-2002, 12:41 PM
I have theory (one fool's opinion) that while Vader was caught up in the Dark Side, a part of him fought the Emperor by trashing his minions and sending his ships and troopers out recklessly against the Rebelion.

Maybe he saw Piett as one who might one day support with him and would be worth having on his side when he and his son overthrow the Emperor.

stillakid
10-15-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Arrogant Arse

I retract my initial explanation and go with this one! :D