PDA

View Full Version : "Dream Team"

QLD
09-06-2002, 10:16 PM
Well, I know a lot of people here don't care about basketball, but I wanted to see if anyone else felt this way about the "dream team".

In case anyone doesn't know. They suffered their first loss in international competition (since using NBA players) the other day. They then followed that performance, by losing their second straight game today. They will not even get a bronze medal. This is the worst performance by a USA Men's basketball team in decades.

I am embarrassed.

I have already been severly disappointed with the lack of professionalism in most NBA players today. Now, most of the "best" players don't even want to play for their country. They got their medal, and don't want to do it again. It's a "waste of their time". The result is, we get people on TEAM USA, that wouldn't even make the NBA All-Star Team, let alone that shouldn't even come close to being on the USA Team.

At this point, they have a decision. Do they put pressure on the "best" NBA players to play.....

OR, do they go back with people who "WANT" to play, such as college and amateur players. I would rather them send the best we have from college teams, than the second string "Dream Team" that we have been sending lately. It's sad.

The funny thing is too, that each team always says they are better than the original. I find that laughable.

Anyway, I thought I would rant on this. I wonder what they will do for the next Olympics. What do you guys think?

Beast
09-06-2002, 10:24 PM
I think the Dream Team did a great job when they defended O. J. Simpson. :crazed: :D

Oh come on, like you didn't expect someone to be silly and say it. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
09-06-2002, 10:26 PM
*whips a basketball into Jar Jar's face*.....

Oh come on, like you didn't expect me to do that!

:D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-06-2002, 10:59 PM
I think the funny part is that a near majority of United States citizens rooted against the Dream Team in the last couple of Olympics. Even there own fans were sick of them winning all the time.

I didn't even watch Olympic Basketball during the Atlanta and Sydney games. Like there was any doubt or suspense as to which team was going to win the Gold. It's like watching a bunch of high-schoolers beating on eight-year old kids.

I'm glad, frankly, they lost. Give some other teams a chance.

QLD
09-06-2002, 11:05 PM
If it was the NBA, I guess I would feel the same way. But in international competition, I would prefer the USA to win. Now don't get me wrong, I like watching teams like Yugoslavia, and Germany play ball, mostly because that is the only way you can see "fundamental" basketabll played now.

2-1B
09-07-2002, 01:49 AM
I have no interest in international hoops, in fact a few nights ago I came across one of the games and thought, "what is George Karl doing on a basketball court with nobody in the stands . . . "

I wouldn't care if they stopped using NBA players alltogether, or even mix in a few collegiate players. My biggest reason for supporting the 1992 Dream Team's inclusion was the fact that several other countries used pro players but the US wouldn't.
Now that it's been done several times, I don't think you can call it a "Dream Team" anymore - especially as QLD points out, the US isn't even using their "best" players.

AdmiralPiett
09-07-2002, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I have already been severly disappointed with the lack of professionalism in most NBA players today.
To add to this argument, many players don't take practice seriously anymore. The truly great ones always took practice very seriously. They knew that anything worth having could only be obtained with hard work and discipline. And by "great ones" I am referring to most of Dream Team 1, among others.
Piett

JediTricks
09-07-2002, 03:30 PM
Eh, just watch Slamball on TNN tonight at 8pm and/or midnight instead. ;)

The Overlord Returns
09-07-2002, 03:53 PM
damn...........first olympic hockey....and now this....whats happening doen there?

QLD
09-08-2002, 09:26 AM
And they lost again. They lost 3 out of their last 4 games, and finished 6th place. Pathetic.

The Overlord Returns
09-08-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
And they lost again. They lost 3 out of their last 4 games, and finished 6th place. Pathetic.

Look on the bright side......you've got an all american showdown in the US open today.......

Lobito
09-09-2002, 01:30 PM
The Dream Team...???? That was no "Dream Team"...the ONLY DREAM TEAM that existed was the team that included Jordan, Magic, Bird, Malone, Barkley, Pippen, Ewing, Robinson, Mullin, Stockton, etc...now THAT was the only Dream Team...the others were pretty good teams, but not the best...now this defeats they suffered against Yug, Arg, and Spain, will maybe put some interest in the better players to represent the U.S. team again...i mean...if u throw in Shak, Kobe, Iverson, etc...u will get the gold again.:)

Now for the US open...ahhh Sampras won again...i was cheering for Aggasi, but Sampras just served amazingly yesterday...33 aces!!!

JON9000
09-09-2002, 05:37 PM
Its a darn shame that the best of the best have cooler things to do than represent their country. The same thing happens in tennis with the Davis Cup. McEnroe had to scream at players to get them to participate. I say forget that. For athetes in almost every other sport, the international competitions are the be all end all. Let the true amateurs who will be proud and excited to represent us play. Let millionaires sit on their hordes of gold and live like puff daddy.

floppy hat jon
09-10-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Eh, just watch Slamball on TNN tonight at 8pm and/or midnight instead. ;)

Seriously, Slamball rules. At least there's no pretense that it's actually a team game. The NBA is a joke and this "Dream Team" is a farce. I haven't watched a single Olympic basketball game since we decided to flex our basketball muscles in '92. Watching the US lose like this really makes me smile. After we decided to use pros and beat up on the rest of the world (silly me I thought things like the Olympics were about friendly competition not who gets the most medals), this is just too perfect. I really wish the Olympic competitors were actually amateurs, that would be so much more interesting. I don't want to see the same guys I can watch all year long. I want to see up-and-comers.