PDA

View Full Version : Can you PLEASE finish the Rebo Band/Jabba's Dancers, Hasbro?

bigbarada
09-07-2002, 12:23 AM
Okay, (fortunately) this topic doesn't require nearly as much research as the Skiff Guards thread; but we are keeping with the Jabba's Palace theme here.

Thus far we have gotten three two-packs and one Cinema Scene of the Rebo Band and Jabba's Dancers, plus an exclusive Oola figure and two versions of Slave Leia (okay one figure of Slave Leia, one figure of a twelve-year-old-boy impersonating Slave Leia:sur: ). However there are some characters left to do, and they just happen to be some of the more interesting looking characters in the entire Palace.

Here's how things stack up:

Rebo Band
Figures we have now:
Sy Snootles
Joh Yowza
Max Rebo
Barquin Dan
Droopy McCool
Doda Bodanweada (however the hell you spell his name)

Figures we need:
Rappertunie
Umpass-Stay
Ak Rev

Jabba's Dancers
Figures we have now:
Oola
Leia
Greeata
Rystall
Lynn Mei

Figures we need:
Yarna d'al' Gargan
Mara Jade Dancing Girl Disguise

Here's my idea for how to pack them:

Umpass-Stay (I think that's just about the coolest name of any character in SW, but that's just me:) ) and Ak Rev should be packaged individually with halves of the giant drum that is shown in the film. Each half should display well by itself, but also snap together to make the entire drum from the film (Ak Rev should also come with his cymbals).

Rappertunie is small and Hasbro is hesitant to release Yarna, so the easy solution, pack them together. Either that or release Yarna as a Fan Club exclusive and pack Rappertunie with Mara Jade.

Mara Jade in Dancing Girl Disguise will sell herself, so go ahead and package her individually. Maybe adding in a resculpted, sitting Salacious Crumb just for kicks.:)

Well, that's all my ideas for the completion of the Rebo Band (except maybe resculpting that hideous Droopy McCool to look more like the vintage version). Here's a picture of all five figures I have asked for. (just as an interesting side note, directly behind Yarna in the pic, you can see Pote Snitkin, the only other place he appears in the movie.:) )

Rogue II
09-07-2002, 07:03 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing them packaged as like the original band pairs were released. But, when it comes down to it, I don't really care how they are packaged, as long as we get the figures.....and a new ROTJ Jabba to go with them.

Jargo
09-07-2002, 07:12 AM
I agree that these need to be made. This is a perfect example of Hasbro not finishing what they start. What was the point of starting in on the band if they weren't going to finish the set?

Anyway, I reckon the drummers should be packed like BB says only each one should come with the half of the large thunder drum and Ak Rev should pack with the bantormian klesplong and Umpass Stay should pack with the drumheller harp. The size of these pack ins would make them deluxe sized, but I would have no problem buying two halves of a set as seperate pieces if it meant getting all of the drums and percussion.

Yarna should pack with Rappertunie and his combi water organ and flute. He's actually not as small as you'd think at first. About the size of a jawa but sitting seems smaller. There'd be no need for major articulation on him just basic shoulder joints and possibly head rotation but that wouldn't be essential. yarna would be the focus of attention with ball joint shoulders, neck articulation in the standard rotational and forward/ back ways. her legs could possibly afford to be ball jointed too but I'd settle for standard articulation there. her costume poses a problem in allowing movement but with modern materials a very soft rubber could be used for the lower part to allow for leg movement. A removable headdress would be kind of cool but perhaps she'd look better and more recognisable with it glued onto her head.

Droopy, Max, and the rest are all fine as far as I'm concerned. No need for any resculpts there.

Mara Jade as a dancer..... well I know that character as Jess, blue bhagdad pants and the bikini top, white hair with a blue streak down the left side. I'm not too bothered if she never gets made. She's on my D list of essential characters. It's the primary background characters we need doing first. :)

evenflow
09-07-2002, 11:58 AM
I totally agree. I think that these are perhaps the most needed Star Wars figures to date. We NEED Yarna!!!!!!!!!!!

TylerD
09-07-2002, 07:39 PM
I like your style BigB!!! We definitely need to finish off the Max Rebo Band...

I am still hoping for Hermi Odle....

bigbarada
09-08-2002, 04:50 PM
I've been thinking that Umpass-Stay should have a removable hood, just to add an extra bonus to the figure. All Hasbro has to do is retool the Barada head, again (the same mask was used for Kithaba, Barada and Umpass-Stay - if you look at that photo of Umpass closely you will see the little black velcro square that they used to hold Barada's and Kithaba's bandanas in place).

That mask was recycled again for TPM, for the Klattooinian guard standing next to Jabba during the podrace. I think his name is Chokk, but I will have to look it up.

And please, don't ruin what would be awesome figures with some lame "drum-beating-action" type of gimmick.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-08-2002, 05:22 PM
I'd like to see them all, and I'd also like to get Max with Doda and Droopy with Barquin somewhere (not released again, but somewhere on the secondary market). Was Arica (Mara Jade) actually in the movie, intended just to be a background character but also given a whole backstory? Anyway, just do these please.

bigbarada
09-08-2002, 05:46 PM
Yeah the dancer known previously as Arica or Jess before being hijacked into EU as Mara Jade, was in the film, she is seen with Bib Fortuna in a few scenes.

I guess Timothy Zahn scoured the film for anything he could use and saw this human dancing girl and decided to make her into Mara Jade in disguise.

I just chose that identity out of consideration for the EU fans. Who, I assume, might appreciate a new version of Mara.

Jargo
09-08-2002, 06:15 PM
That damnable Zahn punk!!!!! :mad: Why I'd like to take him out and rub him out good style for messing around and creating so much trashy pulp fiction crud! Any old extra and they make 'em some kinda bounty hunter or Jedi in disguise or they've gotta be linked to han Solo somehow..... frickin' frackin' EU cruddy poopy crud...........

She's not even a dancing girl because when do we ever see her dance hmmmmm? she's just a consort or concubine or harlot or strumpet or some kind of euphamistically titled 'slave girl'. it's just a chick with white hair to me. quite boring really. no character to her at all. Yarna onthe other hand is larger than life and full of charms and charisma. If I hadn't been reminded by BB about the chick with white hair I'd have completely forgotten she existed. Yarna rocks... YARNA! YARNA! YARNA! Take up the cry and let the old toymakers know we want the fat dancer. YARNA! YARNA! YARNA! :)

Rogue II
09-08-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Yarna onthe other hand is larger than life and full of charms and charisma. If I hadn't been reminded by BB about the chick with white hair I'd have completely forgotten she existed. Yarna rocks... YARNA! YARNA! YARNA! Take up the cry and let the old toymakers know we want the fat dancer. YARNA! YARNA! YARNA! :)

I don't know why, but the Queen song "Fat Bottom Girls" started going thru my head while I was reading this.

I would buy Arica/Jess/Mara Jade if they made her, but I'm not going to beg Hasbro for her. I'd rather concentrate on getting Yarna out of them.

It was a good idea for BigBarada to include her in his list. Maybe he can rally all of the EU fans to his cause.

Jargo
09-08-2002, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I'm just goofing off. tense day at the gladiatorial arena so to speak. If they made 'chick with white hair' I might buy her just because she was actually in the scene and it'd be one more to flesh it all out. But yeas, Yarna should take precedence. I have absolutely no other reason for wanting yarna other than Claire Davenport was a fantastic lady, a great character actress and now she's no longer with us. I think after being cancelled in the vintage line she at least deserves to be remembered for her 'largeness' in that scene. It's something to do withthe way she seemed to really enjoy what she did. The whole scene seems somehow flat but there's Claire standing out like a whale in a fishpond in that ridiculous costume andpulling tongues at Jabba. They don't make them like Claire anymore mores the pity. And it's always really refreshing to se a larger lady in a movie instead of the constant diet of emaciated waifs (although Femi Taylor is nad was mighty fine ;) ) we really need to see Yarna immortalised soon.

As to Nate's idea for a removable hood for Umpass Stay, I say the more removable head gear the better, it let's us customisers get to grips with something rather than have to do amlot of messy and often unsuccessful hacking and filing away. The Nikto Jedi was perfect for us customisers, If they made Tarados Gon the Klaatooinian Jedi from the Geo arena, they'd have the perfect unspoiled Umpass head to work with.

El Chuxter
09-09-2002, 12:10 PM
There's another human dancer who wears red, but I can't think of her name right now. :confused:

bigbarada
09-09-2002, 01:00 PM
Tarados Gon? Is that his name? Cool. Do they have pics of him at Red6, actually I'll head straight over there after posting this and check. I sense a new Dear Hasbro Thread coming on.:)

Chux, the human dancer in red goes by two different names depending on your source (as did Arica/Jess/Mara Jade, I just picked the one most likely to strike a chord with more forumites). According to Decipher, her name is Laudicia; but according to the Tales From Jabba's Palace book, she is Melina Carniss.

I would've included her initially but didn't think anyone would care.:o That's what I get for thinking.:stupid:

Jargo
09-09-2002, 01:19 PM
No the official site had a piece in the aske the jedi council section where they listed all the jedi who were captured by the battle droids. There's a weequay jedi in there too that looks cool, plus a couple of humans who might make good figures. tarados was the only one that interested me though as I knew you'd want his name. :)

bigbarada
09-09-2002, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I found that out the hard way. Although, my wild goose chase wasn't a total loss, I did discover that Chokk is not the Klatooinian guard who stood next to Jabba in the Podrace. Chokk is actually a Klatooinian explosives expert who was seen briefly (only the back of his head was visible) walking by shortly after JarJar steps in his first pile of poop in Tatooine. As you can see by the pic on the card, the mask has completely different features from Barada, but is still distinctly Klatooinian (one of the only background alien races from the prequels in which each individual is given distinguishing features, I love that.:) ).

Anyway, thanks for the info!:cool: I would ask if the official site still has all the information up about the Jedi, but you know that I am headed straight over there as soon as I hit submit reply, so I won't even ask.:)

bigbarada
09-09-2002, 01:58 PM
Ick! That's a hideous Klatooinian mask they have to represent poor Tarados. It's definitely not the mask that was shown in the film as that one actually fit onto the actor's head. The one on the official site looks like a paper bag with a Klatooinian face drawn on it. Either that or a low-polygon count video game version of Barada.

That Weequay Jedi does look pretty cool too though, however, I don't dare start up a thread asking for figures of these guys until I can get ahold of an actual picture of Tarados.

Of course, there were actually two Klatooinian Jedi in the arena. The other was a female Jedi who was shown running away from that Battle Droid cannon blast, sans lightsaber! She must have dropped it.:rolleyes: Stupid girl!;):D:D

Jargo
09-09-2002, 03:12 PM
I can only find one small glimpse of Tarados Gon in a pic from the Aayla secura entries. I've highlighted his tiny portion of the frame but you can't see much. All i know is that he has a cream/white tunic and beige pants with brown boots, you can see his back in a different shot but he's way in the background. he's the only jedi with such pale colours on in the arena circle scenes.

Jargo
09-09-2002, 03:12 PM
IHow strange, for some reason i was getting the impression that that last post wouldn't load, weird things going on and then I couldn't load a single page of SSG at all, and now i come in and find I double posted for some strange reason..... odd. Anyway, had another look for the guy all over the rest of the net and so far nothing better. I know of at least one more shot of him in close up that I've seen somewhere but i can't remember where. :(

Now getting a close up of the weequay would be cool. Incidentally, the POTF weequay has a tiny head right? Isn't it time we got a new weequay? There's tons in AOTC and then all the different guards in ROTJ tatooine scenes, Something i noticed with AOTC is that the new weequay masks are all relly wide. The originals were quite slim and I prefer that look to them. So if hasbro make a weequay they should use the ROTJ ones as a model for the head. Also the more human shaped hands not the stupid 'one hand fits all' style of the prequel aliens. Those new three finger hands are just crap. If the ROTJ weequay had five fingers then the AOTC ones should too. Stupid continuity rapers in the costume department. And the arogance to think we won't notice or care. Like making the Aqualish face different with four eyes and making a complete mockery of Ponda Baba.
Bah humbug!

bigbarada
09-09-2002, 03:41 PM
It is the same mask, but looks totally different from the rear/side view. It also doesn't look as bad when you can see the whole head. I thought the right side of his head was caved in, but it turns out just to be Mace's giant cranium.:) Now that I can see everything around him he doesn't look so bad. But I know there is another pic of him in one of the Star Wars Insider issues (not 57 or 58, I have those two and can't find it at all), standing nearby Anakin in front of a blue screen. I tried Alderaanonline.com, but they seem to have every other Insider pic except for that one.:frus:

Oh well, thanks, Jargo.:cool:

bigbarada
09-09-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
IHow strange, for some reason i was getting the impression that that last post wouldn't load, weird things going on and then I couldn't load a single page of SSG at all, and now i come in and find I double posted for some strange reason..... odd. Anyway, had another look for the guy all over the rest of the net and so far nothing better. I know of at least one more shot of him in close up that I've seen somewhere but i can't remember where. :(

Now getting a close up of the weequay would be cool. Incidentally, the POTF weequay has a tiny head right? Isn't it time we got a new weequay? There's tons in AOTC and then all the different guards in ROTJ tatooine scenes, Something i noticed with AOTC is that the new weequay masks are all relly wide. The originals were quite slim and I prefer that look to them. So if hasbro make a weequay they should use the ROTJ ones as a model for the head. Also the more human shaped hands not the stupid 'one hand fits all' style of the prequel aliens. Those new three finger hands are just crap. If the ROTJ weequay had five fingers then the AOTC ones should too. Stupid continuity rapers in the costume department. And the arogance to think we won't notice or care. Like making the Aqualish face different with four eyes and making a complete mockery of Ponda Baba.
Bah humbug!

Yeah, mylow the hutt made a triple post (!!!!) at roughly the same time as your double post, in the Dear Hasbro section. His was at 2:15 PM and yours was at 2:12 PM. Must have been a hiccup on the boards or something.

I don't really like those new Weequay masks at all. They are too smooth faced, I guess you could say the Tatooine sun made those guys in ROTJ wrinkled, but that wouldn't explain the Podrace audience members in Ep1. And I agree about those stupid three fingered hands. Did anybody in the prop department watch ROTJ? Or did they just think that we didn't?:frus:

"Oh, the audience is too busy looking at the main characters to notice all of this." Well did it ever occur to them that while true for the first couple of viewings people stop watching the main characters by about the third or fourth viewing? What did they think we did with all the subsequent hundreds of viewings? We scour the background of the film of course. I cannot stand that "the audience will never notice" crap. That's just laziness on the part of the production designers.

Please don't get me started on the new Aqualishes or Quarrens. It looks like GL will have to go back and "fix" all of these aliens from the OT.

Oh, wait, no he doesn't. I forgot, we'll never notice.:stupid::frus:

Beast
09-09-2002, 05:49 PM
BigB, they never have to fix anything. It's already been explained that there are two different racial variations of the two species. So even if we get a new Special Edition version of the OT again for the "DVD Archival Edition", they don't have to change a thing on them. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
09-09-2002, 06:43 PM
Hogwash and blather. Did you read that about there being at least five different races of Nikto? Bloody hell that's a convenient excuse for can't be arsed making things match or thinking up a decent explanation for two seperate species. Let's just lump the ones that look like Klaatu in with all the Nikto and say they're from a forest region and the orange niktos are from the rocky tundra and all the rest are just somewhere in between. How convenient and how slapdash. let's just explain how all the species suddenly developed these three fingers for the prequels and lost them to five fingers for the original trilogy which takes place a mere twenty years later - not enough time for evolution on that scale for any species alien or not and certaily not simultaneous evolution with identical results.
Blow that up your doodah LFL! thrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp!! :crazed:

bigbarada
09-10-2002, 01:03 AM
Yep, Lucasfilms "explainations" smack of pure cowdung and are just a way for them to cover for their laziness. Have you seen the hideously ugly masks they use for the Bith in the $115+ million prequel films, when the Bith masks used in the $10 million ANH look about 100 times better?

Jargo's right, there is nothing to explain away hands going from three fingers on every single stinking background alien race to five fingers in less than 20 years. That's just idiocy on Lucasfilm's part if they expect us to swallow that.

Call it what you will, I call it sloppy storytelling.