PDA

View Full Version : Why are this figures so good?

Shadow Warrior
09-07-2002, 12:47 AM
I just want to know why these figures are so popular? It seems to me it is just another way they are making money for figures nobody wants. Here is a question "If you saw this figures at your local TRU or Walmart would you buy them"? Just a question I would like to know. Thanks

LTBasker
09-07-2002, 12:52 AM
If I saw them at Wal-Mart, they'd probably be 5.88-4.77, so yes I'd buy them. I'm gonna be a little slow on buying them at 9.99 especially on the upcoming R4 unit with it just having new paint compared to the 5.88 R4-M9.

What makes these figures so cool?:
1) They're mostly new
2) They're EU
3) They're from an EU that you can watch instead of having to read or look at still pictures
4) They're cool
5) They're odd looking Droids
6) They're available over phone (again)
7) They're nicely done

Beast
09-07-2002, 12:54 AM
They are popular because everyone wants more droids. Even if most of them are E.U. droids, they make good background droids for scenes. Plus they are unique cool little droid collectibles to those people that have actually been on the ride. If nobody wanted them, they certainly wouldn't be a another way of making money, would they. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Shadow Warrior
09-07-2002, 01:07 AM
Most people like me who just can not go to Disney land or world and grab one of this figures. If it was me and I saw this figures in walmart or any where else I would just walk bye no matter how much they cost. It seems that this figures are just a way for Disney and Hasbro to make more money off people that think this are limited special figures and they will make some money in the long run. Example just look at ebay. I am not saying that if you want more droids in your collection go for it. I am just saying if you had seen this figures in the mass market most people would be asking Hasbro why they made these poor figures in the first place. That is just my two cents.

Beast
09-07-2002, 01:15 AM
They are avaliable by phone, if you don't want to have to go to one of the Disney theme parks to get them. *Gasp* What, a company actually in the business to make money? :crazed: All companies should care nothing about profits and just give everything away for free. ;) :D

And besides, if you go browsing thru most of the posts in this thread, you would notice that most people like them. Would they fly at regular retail, probably not. But hell, even cool vehicles don't fly at retail, so that doesn't mean anything. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Shadow Warrior
09-07-2002, 01:26 AM
Most of the "cool" vehicles I have seen sell for more than I can afford in recent. Just look at the Tie Bomber ( my wife found that one for me) and the Tie Interceptor. Plus many other vehicles that always seem to sell no matter how much they are or their "limited numbers."

2-1B
09-07-2002, 01:29 AM
I'm glad they made them, because I have seen a lot of enthusiasm from some collectors here. :)
Personally, I'm not interested and indeed if I did see them at Wal-Mart, I would pass on them.

Beast
09-07-2002, 01:30 AM
I'm talking regular retail, not exclusives. Just look at the POTF2 line thru Episode 1 line. Vehicles sold like Molasses on a winter morning. Which is the exact reason that all vehicles now have to be exclusives, except for the few that Hasbro can get retailers to support during movie years. They will sell as Exclusives, because people can't wait around for them to hopefully go on clerance. It's buy it when you see it, or you're out of luck. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Shadow Warrior
09-07-2002, 01:39 AM
I am not saying this are poor figures for everyone. But to me they would be pegwamers at most of the places I shop for Star Wars figures. And what I have seen "most" people would be mad "if" they put these figures out in mass market. But because they are Disney special additon everyone wants one. All I am asking just because some company puts there name on it does it make it a better figure? Most of the replies that I have seen is that would pass on these figures if they saw them in the mass market. But most people say they are good figures? Am I missing something here? I buy figures I like. But I do buy figures that are limited edition if they appeal to me not just because they are limited.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-07-2002, 01:59 PM
I'd buy them, I love the ride, I love the droids, I love the figures. :)
Also, you can get into Once Upon a Toy for free, not even admission to any of the parks. It's in the free, easily-accessible Downtown Disney. :)

Turbowars
09-29-2002, 10:48 AM
I would buy "these" figures if I saw them any where. What other line are you going to find R5-D4 in? Not Saga. To me the fgures don't seem EU. I guess it's because the ride has been part of my life for such a long time. Other than the figures the packaging is unique, meaning the bubble and the back. I'm a carded collector, so I care about "these" things.

kdp100
09-29-2002, 05:26 PM
I think JarJarBinks summed it up nicely a few posts back:
to someone like me, who's never likely to see the Star Tours ride (in fact, I'd never heard of it until I read SSG threads dedicated to these figures), they're simply a source of generic "background droids", of which I'll never have enough.
Whether or not these characters were actually in any scene in the SW films is irrelevant to me - the simple fact is that they COULD HAVE BEEN, and with regard to dioramas etc. my imagination can do the rest.

That's why I'M looking forward to them, anyway.

Turbowars
10-02-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by kdp100
I think JarJarBinks summed it up nicely a few posts back:
to someone like me, who's never likely to see the Star Tours ride (in fact, I'd never heard of it until I read SSG threads dedicated to these figures), they're simply a source of generic "background droids", of which I'll never have enough.
Whether or not these characters were actually in any scene in the SW films is irrelevant to me - the simple fact is that they COULD HAVE BEEN, and with regard to dioramas etc. my imagination can do the rest.

That's why I'M looking forward to them, anyway. I'm sure I take Disney Land for granted because I live in CA USA, but Star Tours the Ride is a little out dated. It's fun, but it never changes. It would be nice if there was a different tour that they could switch back and forth from time to time. It's not like DS and Luscas don't have the funds.

ironsaviour
10-26-2002, 03:39 AM
Does anybody know if in Disneyland are selling another action figures?from saga collection for example, because I don't like these stupid droids. I think is a big business for hasbro an Disney, just for make money.

Pschtyckque
10-26-2002, 10:53 AM
Disneyland was selling the other figures (also for $10 each). I last checked about 2 years ago. Whether they still have them, I don't know.

Old Fossil
10-27-2002, 06:41 PM
I'd buy the Astromech droids from this line, but little else. But I doubt I'll ever go to a Disney theme park, since I hate huge masses of people.

Wolfwood319
10-27-2002, 09:33 PM
I saw these figures at a show today, and I must say; "These figures SUCK!!!" They look like some of the cheapest pieces of crap ever slapped on a piece of cardboard with the word Star Wars on it.

As cool as some droids are, these are just plain worthless, IMO. Its nice if you go to a Disney park, go on the ride, and pick one up as a nice little memory. But I could never go out of my way for any of these, especially at $10 a pop.

Just my opinion though, to each his own... :)

krisvds
06-28-2003, 02:08 PM
I just love them :D
that's all I can say about them :happy:

DarthChuckMc
06-28-2003, 03:51 PM
If you don't want the crappy figures, just don't buy them. More for the rest of us droid lovin', completist freaks. :D

I love the STAR TOURS ride. I've wanted figures from there since, well...o' before you were born.....well...maybe not YOU, but....for a long time, a long time.

The figures are kinda unique. They're not completely in the SW style, but they're close. This is one sure fire way we are going to get multiples of the cool little R2s, R3s, R4s, and R5s we've been screaming about for years.

BRING 'EM ON!!