PDA

View Full Version : REPUBLIC GUNSHIP LOOSE - and reviewed!

Tycho
09-07-2002, 03:55 PM
I just got my 4 Republic Gunships from Walmart.com. They came yesterday actually. I've opened one of them now, and I'm ready to give up all the juicy details!

THE PRICE: $38.86 each! (very good)

shipping for 4 of them (in one big box that is hard to see over when you carry it!) - $7.96 for all of them combined - possibly discounted for a large purchase over "x" amount of dollars.

tax -California local for me, $12.04 for all of them.

the total for four of them: $175.44

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE USE:

....flying after Dooku in the Battle for Geonosis:

1) Yoda's Gunship (Ki Adi Mundi, Kit Fisto, Mace Windu)
2) Anakin / Obi-Wan's Gunship (Padme Amidala)

.....actually landing in an Arena Playset diorama:

all Republic CloneTroopers' ship (possily w. Plo Koon)
SaeSee Tiin's ship (picking up Eeth Koth, Shaak-Ti and Luminara)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE WINGSPAN: you better watch out flying this thing through standard doorways. The wings barely leave 2 inches of clearance going through a standard door! -maybe not that much. This ship is BIG!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE HANDLING: awkward. The clear plastic (disguised) handle makes it easier, but features on the ship are kind of "hair trigger."
The troop platform can deploy unintentionally while putting figures into the pegs, the blast doors could start opening, missles could prematurely fire, and the tail gun could easily snap off, eventually getting lost (or eaten by a pet or younger sibling!)

Smaller ships always feel more comfortable to "fly." In terms of the big ones, the top handled grip is o.k., just not my preference. The Falcon feels much more comfortable, its loose parts like the rear panel cover not withstanding. And the Tyderium (I have the vintage) feels better balanced from an underneath carriage handle. I'll give the gunship this - it's convenient having your grip near several of the firing controls though. It makes targeting easier (and the Falcon and Tyderium don't shoot missles).

This ship is better than the Royal Starship because you can see your figures while you're flying them in it. (The Starship closes and can't hold more than 4 figures in its primary cockpit and none in the throne room or main hold when it's closed)

The Republic Gunship's troop deployment platform does lock in good when you're not pressing figures into it, so flying upside down is possible, while hatches would fall open on the Falcon or Royal Starship, and I don't recommend it for the health and life-longetivity of your wings on the Tyderium.

THE STICKERS: There's 24 of them, including 2 cockpit display panels. They're so small that I don't see them making a difference, so I'm NOT going to apply them. I may change my mind about # 23 and 24 (the cockpit controls) as you probably could see the front seat pilot's one through the windows. Otherwise, it's a waste of your time. This ship looks great anyway!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE STAR WARS TOYS CATALOG - no change yet from the one that ships with the Jedi Starfighter and Slave-One. I always used to check these books back in the days of KENNER and well before the interenet to get pictures of new products coming, but we've now seen the release of everything in this catalog.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE DEPLOYMENT DOORS! - This is a fun feature. I wonder if it will break though. The rear arms they rotate out on (2 per door) are very stiff, and this causes the doors to rotate out and deploy smoothely, but very slowly - like they're mechanized. I know they flew open in the movies, but for a toy, this feature is realistic, if not authentic, and that makes it cool. I have no idea what makes them move. It's not the old spring or rubber band toy companies usually use. So I'd play with this feature sparingly, so you don't break anything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE ASSEMBLY / DETAIL: - I never owned GI Joe vehicles, but this ship has the feel of ones I've seen at my friends' houses. You have to put a lot of parts together and there are bombs and rocket launchers even hidden on the inside of the doors. They do not "work" as a spring-loaded function, but you can take them on and off manually, to give you 12 more rockets / bombs that this thing can unload. Like GI Joe toys, you use the parts in battle manually.

There are more parts and pieces to put together on this ship than any Star Wars vehicle previously, as far as I can remember.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE FIRING FEATURES: - the top cannons have the longest missles I've ever seen - larger than a 12 inch figure's lightsaber. They load really deep so they don't spoil the aesthetics of the toy, but because they're so long and take a while to clear the barrel, they don't fire too far at all. Smaller missles would either not lock and load in there, or disappear down these over-sized barrels. Aim for something 2 feet away from you or closer.

The front laser cannons fire off a little further. They'll go 4 feet or thereabouts. They swivel on a ball so they can aim in front and back of the ship. If you bumb the front of the Gunship into anything, they'll fire off of their own accord. So be careful.

HIDDEN FEATURES: -there's storage compartments under the wings! And they are big. I haven't tried it yet, but I think you could pretend they are smuggling compartments and hide an averaged size figure in there! As far as weapons and accessories, small items like guns and missles could get lost deep down the wing shafts, and you'd have to shake the ship or remove the wing to get something back out. So I don't recommend doing that unless it's for longterm storage. There's also a "vent" in each wing on the top and bottom (probably to simulate engine vents) and I bet small blasters could shake loose out of the compartments and fall and get lost through there.

CARRYING CAPACITY / TROOP DEPLOYMENT - first, putting a speederbike aboard will NOT interfere with the carrying capacity of figures you want to place aboard.

I have 2 Clones, firing out one side, and Padme, Anakin, and Obi-Wan on the other side, plus a Red Clone Trooper in the front hall. Another guy could go behind him. There's plenty of room to add the side cannons when I get the pilot figures, and I think about 12 figures could easily be posed normally on board in the main body of the craft (including the gunners in their chairs). Plus there's room for 2 in the cockpit as well.

I haven't tried to use the deployment platform with figures on it. It just falls out the bottom - though it goes without saying that all figures' arms and legs must be inside the hole.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

STUFF THEY SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF: the cannon bubbles that are on the wings turn and click (like R2-D2 heads or Slave-One's cannons) but they have great detail inside of them and you can see the guns moving with the turrets. However, if you could attach the blast effects to their barrels, it would have been nicer for diorama builders. There appears to be no place at all to attach these effects, and I was really liking them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANNOYING OR USELESS FEATURE: the grappling hooks in the back - there's actually 2 of them, would without you working on them, just hang there. Dangling with over a foot of length to each of their tow cables, this is not good. I suggest gripping them together, and pushing them back up into the hole (versus trying to wrap the cable around some part of the gunship like you have to wrap Luke's cable on the AT-AT). I just know a few kids are going to take a scissors to these, and then wish they didn't. But I warn you, it can take 10 minutes to feed the string back into the ship so it's not hanging there.

THE BOX - it's smaller than the 12 inch Luke Speederbike's. The ship is unassembled in there and the box is unusually small for the size of the vehicle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASSEMBLY - it will take you a good 15 minutes to a half an hour if you mess around with the tow cables like I recommended. Set aside a good hour to deal with this ship, enjoying it, putting figures aboard, et.all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PARTS EASY TO LOSE: - the tail cannon for sure. Bump its behind into anything, and there goes that. It's very durable and won't break though. It just pops out.

Kids will lose all those bombs and rockets. There's 12, then 2 large missles, a tail cannon, and then the smaller chin gun missles.

This one's going to be fun for youngsters, but you'll have to teach them to respect their toys and watch their friends who they let play with it too. My mother's insight into my Star Wars hobby was that these would be valuable since many days ago, back in the vintage years. She told me so, and not to break, damage, or loose their parts. They were not easily replaceable. But I listened to her. As Empire and Jedi came along, I had to work and pay for most of my stuff with my allowance and then from entirely from my job outside of my home. I opened my stuff, but I sure took care of it good.

THE FINAL CONCLUSION: The Republic Gunship is going to be one of those Star Wars toys remembered with the love given to the Tyderium and the AT-AT. Take care of yours. It is more than worth its cost for sure!

It won't be as easy to play with as Jango's Slave-One or even the AT-AT, but this ship will be as fun. It's hard to say where I'd rank it - but I like it more than the Queen's Royal Starship and possibly the Tyderium. It is on a level with the Millennium Falcon in my opinion.

I've been extremely pleased and impressed with the quality of Episode 2 vehicles! This has been the best year for ships in my opinon!

GOT QUESTIONS or COMMENTS? ----------POST 'EM!!!

Turbowars
09-07-2002, 04:15 PM
WOW!

corporal AMF
09-07-2002, 04:39 PM
WOW WOW WOW :D

Tycho
09-07-2002, 05:44 PM
Thank you!

You all HAVE To get this ship! It's Too cool!

LTBasker
09-07-2002, 06:01 PM
Cool, thanks for the review Tycho. :cool:

I think one plus over the weapons that require manual handling is more of a plus than a mechanism firing them because if a mechanism did, then there would be a possibility of wearing it out or even losing one of the projectiles from launching.

I can't wait to get this ship that's for sure, I just wish the pilots were out right along with it. Oh well by the time I find either they'll both be out I think. :D

bigbarada
09-07-2002, 06:17 PM
Isn't this in the wrong section?;)

Sorry, always wanted to say that to a mod.:D

Sounds cool, too bad I won't be able to afford one. $40.00 is a lot more than I need to be spending on Star Wars toys right now.:(

Jargo
09-07-2002, 06:33 PM
Y'know, walmart just bought out a chain of large grocery stores over here and added the walmart name to the stores own. Unfortunately the stores don't get the same stock as walmarts own stores......... :(

Guess I'll have to be patient and wait for the slow boat from China to bring this baby flying to the Isle I call home. That'll be a t least a month from now I reckon. Hopefully some of the smaller independent stores ordered direct from Hong kong and get theirs sooner. Thank god there's nothing else in the way of ships coming until the shuttle otherwise I'd be totally broke by xmas.
Nice review Tycho BTW.
I've actually been trying to justify buying this to myself. Will it be worth it, have I the cash to spend, what space does it take up, what use have I for it... that sort of thing. Having sat and gazed for four hours the other day at nothing but Gunship pictures I saved from the net and noe this glowing review, I reckon I'm sold on the issue - I WILL have a republic gunship come hell or high shipping.... :)

hango fett
09-07-2002, 06:49 PM
i'll wait until i get the yellow slonetrooper to get it. (that is probably when i will see these AWSOME things in stores!)
h

Tycho
09-07-2002, 06:55 PM
Most domestic orders from Walmart.com cost almost the same in gas that it takes to drive there, that if you have a credit card, can use your ATM card this way, or your parents will charge it for you, this ship can be in your hands by the middle of next week for sure.

$7 for shipping? I was pleasantly surprised you can bet!

ADDING A COMPLAINT TO THE REVIEW:

see where Mace is standing in the picture I attached to my first post? -The ante-chamber right before the cockpit.

There's NO figure standing pegs up there, only on the troop deployment platform!

If you want to put a stand in there, the circular ones would be no good.

I hate the idea of using CommTech chips for that, but it would probably work. I'm just having my Clone Captain holding on good.

hango fett
09-07-2002, 07:21 PM
man i wish i could order one...but hey! my birthday is in one month excatly so maybe i'll get lucky!
h

stad
09-07-2002, 07:57 PM
Sounds great! I prefer the manually controlled accessories, though. The spring-loaded missiles or whatever get old and either A) don't fire or lock into place, or B)suffer from premature fire-action. Besides, I look at those kind of things (for the most part) as gimmicky crap that makes the toy worse. Those kind of things were used extensively on the G.I. Joe line once they were really dying down and became crappy (actually, I think losing the realistic styling and getting gimmicks led to the downfall of the line). I prefer that some imagination be used with toys.

Sinister Lord
09-07-2002, 08:00 PM
Good review! I will definitely be getting one of these Gunships.

TylerD
09-07-2002, 08:34 PM
I will get one when I have enough $$$...always seems to be a problem...

darthvyn
09-07-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
ADDING A COMPLAINT TO THE REVIEW:

see where Mace is standing in the picture I attached to my first post? -The ante-chamber right before the cockpit.

There's NO figure standing pegs up there, only on the troop deployment platform!

If you want to put a stand in there, the circular ones would be no good.

I hate the idea of using CommTech chips for that, but it would probably work. I'm just having my Clone Captain holding on good.

isn't this where the clone pilots pack-in gun bubbles go? there's no attachment receptacle anywhere?

Chiesa
09-07-2002, 10:44 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... Triple WOW!! Drool!!

Cheers
:crazed:

Tycho
09-08-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by darthvyn

isn't this where the clone pilots pack-in gun bubbles go? there's no attachment receptacle anywhere?

No. It looks like they'll attach just behind this ante-room, and stick out, so as to not interfere with space in the main cargo hold.

I can tell you now, that the guns won't attach in front of this little mid-ship room, but rather parallel it. (but lock on from behind).

Most things are well thought out. But foot pegs up here would have been nice, too.

Darth Sidious
09-08-2002, 11:35 AM
The Gunship sounds awesome! I would love to get one, but I don't have much money...But with distribution here I could get one cent a week and have enough to buy it by the time it reaches me. :D Anyway, if I don't get it soon I will have it ordered online for christmas or something. It sounds great! Tycho, do you think you could post pictures of the bombs and stuff?

Tycho
09-08-2002, 11:39 AM
I'm sorry. I don't have a digital camera. I could lay the bombs on my scanner, but you really have to see them on the ship to know what I mean - the way they attach like GI Joe toys.

Ever play with the GI Joe F-14 Tomcat? The bombs and rockets attach exactly like the fighter jet's sidewinders.

JEDIpartner
09-08-2002, 11:52 AM
I'll have one in a week or so... I can't wait. Thanks for the good review. Even if it WAS in the wrong section! ;)

187-Maul
09-08-2002, 11:55 AM
man this ship sounds great
too bad I #1 don't have the money and #2 don't have the space to put this ship and #3 actually don't need this ship
but it would till be cool to have some hanging around in my room:D

Darth Sidious
09-08-2002, 01:05 PM
I'm sorry. I don't have a digital camera. I could lay the bombs on my scanner, but you really have to see them on the ship to know what I mean - the way they attach like GI Joe toys.

Ever play with the GI Joe F-14 Tomcat? The bombs and rockets attach exactly like the fighter jet's sidewinders.

Thats ok. :) I never really played with GI Joes, but I think I know what you mean. By the way, what do the bombs/any other part of the ship smell like? I know ships aren't always pungent, but I have encountered a few that were...So, is there any aroma? :D

Tycho
09-08-2002, 01:05 PM
Do people go to the Reviews section? I do occasionally.

But I think from past experiments, the article's more visible here.

The initial review could be copied and pasted over there. But I'd don't think I'd move the thread at all.

Maybe I'll do that. Though I don't want to discourage someone else from reviewing the ship when they get it. I'd be interested to read their complete coverage, too.

stad
09-08-2002, 02:30 PM
This was definitely the right place, I know I've never been to the reviews section, although I'm not sure every little new thing should be reviewed here. The Gunship seems to have enough of a following that it seems appropriate here, though. I'm glad to here that the bomb/missiles attach like the G.I. Joe ones used to, I stopped with Star Wars and went to G.I. Joe because of all the things Hasbro was doing right with their line (at least in the first 4-5 years).

Darth Evil
09-08-2002, 04:53 PM
I go to the Reviews section every time I come to this site.
I can't wait to see this vehicle, the price around here will probably to be huge. I haven't bought either of the other two Saga line ships yet because of the price.

SuperBattleDroid88
09-08-2002, 04:57 PM
That was the best review I have ever read!!!!!
Thanks Tycho! Because of your review I am definately gonna get one of these! Probably for Christmas though.... :(
Thanks again!
:)
SBD88

gibbspaulus
09-09-2002, 06:30 AM
I have to echo SBD88 there. I was so excited I rang my partner and said 'I'm just going to order my birthday present', then rang R2Dtoys and placed my pre-order!

This is as exciting as when i was waiting for the Royal Starship to arrive.

I feel like it'll be my 13th birthday - not my 30th!

aceguide
09-09-2002, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the review. Has anyone seen it in the stores yet???

Battle Droid
09-09-2002, 05:43 PM
I just ordered one from www.KBToys.com

karinations
09-10-2002, 02:20 AM
Mine

-V-

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-10-2002, 12:00 PM
Tycho- you dissected that ship 8th grade Frog Dissection style!!! great review!!!! Vehicles aren't always hot sellers, so, I'll prolly get mine when i get home for Thanksgiving break or if he starts getting harder to find, i'll get one before then. This is on the "List of Mike's Vehicls to get once he starts making money"

JEDIpartner
09-11-2002, 12:25 PM
I received my Gunship yesterday. Tycho... you said it took you an hour to get this thing together? Are you a ham-fisted hack??? ;) I put mine together and got all the stickers neatly placed on it well within the constraints of my half hour lunch-break!!! I just thought I'd give you a little nudge there, ol' fella! Seriously, though- I got it all knocked out in about 25 minutes. It's a beauty! Everyone here at work was in awe of this thing. They couldn't believe how much stuff was packed onto it.

My current ranking on mid to large vehicles I own:
1) Royal Starship
2) Republic Gunship
3) Slave I (AOTC Version)
4) Jedi Starfighter
5) Millennium Falcon (Vintage)
6) TIE Bomber
7) Naboo Starfighter
8) 25th Anniversary Landspeeder
9) Zam Wessell's Speeder
10) 25th Anniversary X-Wing 11) AT-ST
12) Flash Speeder

stillakid
09-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Great Review! I was going to wait to find them in stores but I'm going to order online right now. :)

Tycho
09-11-2002, 01:38 PM
LOL - I said a half-hour. But you'd want a full hour so you can PLAY with it, put your figures in a scene on board, etc.

But I'm very glad you liked it and everyone appreciated my review!

JEDIPARTNR:

Did you count the time it took you to feed that annoying grappling hook rope back into the ship? Pain, huh? (that part I wasn't too excited about)

Did you at all rank the AT-AT on your list of ships? Just curious after the juggernaut took the Battle of the Machines on SirSteves with such overwhelming support!

I noticed how many prequel vehicles are up on your top list. Mine too! They are making great improvements with toys and ships since 1999 I think!

AOTC Slave-One is one of my favorites.
I like the Royal Starship also.

The TIE Bomber was a great treat, wasn't it?

Lately, I've been warming up to my Jedi Starfighter slightly more.

But Wow! Do I LOVE the Republic Gunship!!!

JEDIpartner
09-11-2002, 02:26 PM
Yeah... they did a splendid job on all of the major prequel vehicles. It's about time they did some more retooling of some of the classic fighters (i.e.- the standard TIE). I don't have an AT-AT, so I cannot rate that ship...

The grappling hooks? I just made the string into a hoop and hung it over the hook on the back. I don't have the patience to mess with pushing the string through such a tiny little hole... Hahaha!!!

The True Maul
09-11-2002, 07:28 PM
Sounds cool Tycho, Thanks for the review!!!:)

AdmiralPiett
09-11-2002, 10:52 PM
Tycho, can you give us some measurements in inches? The most important are height, length, width, and wings expanded width. I'm trying to allocate space for it in my room, but I need some numbers to plan with. Thanks in advance and great review by the way!
Piett

Battle Droid
09-12-2002, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I've been wondering about the measurements myself.

JEDIpartner
09-12-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by AdmiralPiett
Tycho, can you give us some measurements in inches? ...wings expanded width.

The wings are always in one position. They do not swivel up or down. The look of the way the wings were designed on the craft fools you.

Tycho
09-12-2002, 01:32 PM
Maybe 25" wide, not accounting for slanting down of the wingspan which would make it 28" if you were measuring the length of plastic product, not shelf-space.

It's 27" long thereabouts...

Maybe 10" tall or a little more.

I did that really fast, because I'm really pressed for time and to me it seemed to be an odd request. If you want it, you buy it. That part seems simple. This product seems worth it!

Battle Droid
09-12-2002, 03:28 PM
Just got mine today, it's HUGE! and AWESOME! :eek:

I believe Tycho covered all of it in his great review, it's as good as he said it is and more. :D

Now just to find a place to put it.

Hopefully if they make the AT-TE they'll make the other Gunship that carrys them into battle.

JEDIpartner
09-12-2002, 03:42 PM
Uh.... that would have to be even bigger! :eek:

patchiswelsh
09-12-2002, 03:42 PM
I am waiting for arena to come out
US get there stuff so cheaply
ever where else it expensive

JEDIpartner
09-12-2002, 03:57 PM
:confused:

Sorry...?

Jedi Drew
09-12-2002, 07:15 PM
Amazon.com/TRU.com just e-mailed me that my gunship has been shipped today. I CAN'T wait to check this thing out!!!!!!:D :D :D

mrhat
09-12-2002, 08:17 PM
I got one at Wal-Mart, it SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! its big, its full of missles, it holds a lot of figs and its moderately priced! wow, i love Wal-Mart. Kinda fall apartish with the end turret and the front ones. but other than that. cool.

Battle Droid
09-12-2002, 08:30 PM
I don't see how a 4 year old would carry one though, though it's made for 4 years olds and up, it's sorta 2 heavy for a 4 year old.

JediTricks
09-12-2002, 08:36 PM
Isn't the box for this toy deceptively small?

Battle Droid
09-12-2002, 08:37 PM
Yep, I was amazed by that, cause the ship is HUGE.

I thought I had gotten something else since the outer box was so skinny, I had to open it to make sure.

Battle Droid
09-12-2002, 09:53 PM
I'm having trouble getting the Biker Scout Speederbike in the Gunship, it won't go in those tracks for it's feet or whatever, has anyone else tryed it?

Tycho
09-13-2002, 03:07 AM
No. I'm waiting for the new speederbike with the clone trooper.

They may have retooled the bike's "legs" for this.

I don't care too much, one way or the other - I want that Clone Trooper with removeable armor. That looks cool!

As to the bikes, if they were going to be in the movie, they never made it their. What would they have looked like? Were they using Aerotech-74z's or whatever the Bikerscouts' bikes were called? I mean were they using them way back into the days of the Clone Wars, 26 years before ROTJ? Sure. Maybe.

Maybe they looked a little bit different though.

One thing's for sure: on the toy, the front end piece of the speederbike will never fit on while the bike's stacked in there. If these things were real, such as how AT-AT walkers are supposed to be able to carry 4 speederbikes (or maybe only 2), they would be fully assembled "in real life" for ease in rapid deployment.

So I'm not sure I like what Hasbro has left room for, in terms of storing bikes on board.

Next, what purpose would they serve in the Battle for Geonosis?

You're barely protected from fire on those bikes in the midst of an onslaught of constant enemy droid fire. The bikes are useful for scouting and light law enforcement. You need heavy fire-resistant tanks with deflectors for this kind of ground combat.

I'm still thinking of adding the bikes to my Battle for Geonosis diorama I am buying stuff for - just because I like them - even though they were never actually there.

Authenticity sometimes bugs, and then sometimes it can be ignored.

JEDIpartner
09-13-2002, 02:26 PM
The bikes are featured in one of the cutscenes on the DVD.

Jargo
09-13-2002, 06:52 PM
I'm gettin the bikes to replace the OT ones which are poo. These newer ones have better detail and the handlebars are correct. I have no use for speeder bikes in my geonosis set up so they'll be going to Endor instead, with perhaps a respray along the way. :)

Pity that clonetrooper has removable armor though. Can't see the point of removable armor pieces in battle somehow. And just some parts of the armor. What is he - disco fashion cloney? comes with exclusive cloney styling comb and ribbons.......... :rolleyes:

Teeska Mon Eebon
09-14-2002, 10:23 AM
Hey that looks awesome I gotta get me one of those when they come out here

Battle Droid
09-14-2002, 03:45 PM
The bikes are featured in one of the cutscenes on the DVD.

Which scene?

Darth Detori
09-15-2002, 07:00 PM
yeah, the only one even remotely close to that part is when Ki-Adi and Plo Koon de-activate the droid control ship, but that'd be before the clones come.
the other place it' be close to would be the Dooku with two sabers part, but that wouldn't make any sense...

bigbarada
09-16-2002, 01:41 PM
Well, I went to Wal-Mart this morning and did my routine check of the Star Wars aisle, at first I didn't see anything new and left, but went back a few minutes later - I had been considering buying that new 12" Dooku (even though I don't collect the 12" anymore). Anyways, on to my point, over in the Lego section I saw a solitary Gunship sitting by it's lonesome and immediately thought it was the Lego version because of it's small size. Then I realized the box color wasn't right for Lego toys and, upon closer inspection, I realized that it was the Saga Gunship.

Now I know I've stated time and again that I wouldn't buy this thing because of the size and the price; but it followed me out of the store! Really! I hate it when that happens.;)

This is an awesome toy! I love how most of the missles are the manual, clip-on types. While I was assembling it, I got that excited feeling I used to get when putting together the old GI Joe:ARAH vehicles as a kid (namely the HAVOC, the only large GI Joe vehicle I really owned). I really like how the bay doors slowly slide open when you hit the lever on the side, I like the cargo hatches (which I initially thought were battery compartments) and the clicking gun-bubbles on the wings. The entire ship feels sturdy, not flimsy and cheap like sections of the Queen's Starship. This is definitely my new favorite toy.

The ropes on the back don't bother me too much, I just locked the hooks into place and wrapped the rope around them. The hooks themselves appear much more functional than the 'grappling hook gun' that came with the AT-AT.

Overall, I give this vehicle an A++++++! A 10 out of 10! A 110% effort from Hasbro!:cool: (you get the idea, I like this ship) It would seem that where Hasbro has fallen short with the action figures, they have made up for tenfold with the vehicles.

SplFrcsCWO
09-17-2002, 01:26 AM
What do the "blast effects" refer to? Where do they go?
TIA

bigbarada
09-17-2002, 01:14 PM
There are no blast effects on the Gunship (unless you count the clear red missles). I think Tycho was saying that he wanted places to clip on the blast effects that come with the figures to make the Gunship appear to be coming under heavy fire.

I don't like the whole blast effect idea so I am glad to see they are being phased out little by little.

bigbarada
09-17-2002, 01:21 PM
As to the bikes, if they were going to be in the movie, they never made it their. What would they have looked like? Were they using Aerotech-74z's or whatever the Bikerscouts' bikes were called? I mean were they using them way back into the days of the Clone Wars, 26 years before ROTJ? Sure. Maybe.

Our military still has those 60 year old 2 1/2 Ton, "Deuce-and-a-Half", trucks in it's inventory. They were used in WW2 and are still used in some Active Duty Army units and almost all of the National Guard, Army Reserve and Marine Corps units. (the Marines normally get the Army's hand-me-downs)

So there is a precedent for a vehicle to still be used after only 26 years. Even some of the more recent vehicle designs (the BlackHawks, Apaches, HUMMWVs, M1 Abrams tanks) are well over ten (some approaching twenty) years old.

Val Da Car
09-17-2002, 01:48 PM
Hey....if you are really Jonzin for the Gunship....It is back in stock....(who knows for how long?) at walmart.com...Here is the linky
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=4172&dept=4171&product_id=1819725&path=0%3A4171%3A4172%3A5255

Get it ....It is Da Bomb....I put mine up at my desk in a mini diorama.......Battle droids and Genosians all over my cabinet.

Prince Xizor
09-17-2002, 01:58 PM
I got mine a couple of days ago at Walmart. There was only 2 of them left (Or maybe there was only 2 ever). It was kinda weird that they were there too, because that Walmart hasn't really gotten anything new in awhile. Just that one random case of Gunships.

Val Da Car
09-17-2002, 02:06 PM
I have spoken to the 6 Walmarts within driving distance to me and only one store has even been able to tell me that they are getting a drop shipment of 8 Gunships in for their store. The only problem is that they do not know when they are getting them in.

Jedi Drew
09-17-2002, 02:08 PM
The UPS guy came today with my gunship that I ordered from TRU. com. So far this thing is super cool....still putting it togther. If you see it at Wal-Mart buy it!!!!!:D :D :D P.S. Wal-Mart.com has it in stock to ship. HH :) :)

Battle Droid
09-17-2002, 05:07 PM
Was the Gunship originally suppose to be Electronic? I'm thinking that's what the storage bays are under the wings, where the batterys would've went.

LTBasker
09-17-2002, 05:27 PM
Don't think so, I think they just wanted to add some play value to it with storage bays for storing weapons and such. It wasn't ever rumored or listed early as electronic and if they had molded it to be electronic with battery compartments then I'm sure something would've leaked about it being electronic.

Battle Droid
09-17-2002, 05:34 PM
Hmm, they aren't mentioned on the Box or instructions, so I thought that was maybe while they weren't mentioned.

SplFrcsCWO
09-17-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
There are no blast effects on the Gunship (unless you count the clear red missles). I think Tycho was saying that he wanted places to clip on the blast effects that come with the figures to make the Gunship appear to be coming under heavy fire.

I don't like the whole blast effect idea so I am glad to see they are being phased out little by little.

The information in the Database needs to be fixed. It states the balst effects can be attached.

Turbowars
09-17-2002, 07:45 PM
Hey Dudes, I picked up a Republic gunship today! I just got don't putting it together. It took around 45 minutes!! Man! JK, no it went together very quick. End result is a great ship. If you know me, I don't open very much, but I just had to. I'd say the coolest feature is the side doors. When you push a button on top of the ship, the side doors pop out a little and then slide back, It's so cool, because it seems like it's hydraulically powered, it opens very smoothly. I feel like a kid again! "Oh what's that Hunny?" The house payment is due and the car payment is late! That didn't last too long. LOL :crazed:

Battle Droid
09-17-2002, 07:48 PM
I'd like to know how the Side doors work, is there a spring or something. I'm not taking it apart, cause I'd probably never get it back together.

Turbowars
09-17-2002, 07:48 PM
Oh I would like to add that the stickers are worth applying. It doesn't take long, as Tycho said.

Turbowars
09-17-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Battle Droid
I'd like to know how the Side doors work, is there a spring or something. I'm not taking it apart, cause I'd probably never get it back together. I think it's either a rack and pinion kind of thing, or a series of gears that are wrapped with a spring. I may just take it apart. I love stuff like this.

bigbarada
09-18-2002, 02:13 PM
Here's a picture of my Gunship. I love this toy.:)

Tycho
09-18-2002, 02:27 PM
Overall, I give this vehicle an A++++++! A 10 out of 10! A 110% effort from Hasbro!:cool: (you get the idea, I like this ship) It would seem that where Hasbro has fallen short with the action figures, they have made up for tenfold with the vehicles.

I couldn't agree with BigBarada more!

I've been really impressed with the vehicles this year too!

I'm glad that all of you guys are liking this ship so much. It's just too cool! - and all the figures you can put aboard it...wow!

hango fett
09-18-2002, 03:01 PM
i just found one at a wal-mart! it looks like a great vehicle! it's in layaway, so i'll let you know when i get it out!
h

Battle Droid
09-18-2002, 06:32 PM
I wish they'd hurry up and release the Pilot Clonetrooper.

Turbowars
09-18-2002, 06:53 PM
Here's a picture of my Gunship. I love this toy.:) Hey, wait a minute, yours looks just like mine! LOL :crazed:

Val Da Car
09-18-2002, 07:28 PM
The clone troopers look like the bomb but I can't get myself to shell out the $12-$18 per figure for the scalpers on Ebay.

LTBasker
09-18-2002, 07:35 PM
Actually jus tbe patient, I'm sure Hasbro will release some more Clones in a bit. Especially with both Clones being scarce right now. Either a yellow or white, no doubt they'll release some more soon. Also don't forget there is the Speederbike Clone and the Clone rifle in the Arena accessory pack.

Val Da Car
09-18-2002, 07:37 PM
Clone clone clone clone.....I know but a twin set of the Yellow clone trooper pilot would wrap up the diorama nicely.....

I don't want to paint a red one either

Turbowars
09-18-2002, 07:51 PM
I wonder what the case break down will be?? If Hasblo was smart cookie, they would send full cases of Pilot clones.

Val Da Car
09-18-2002, 07:54 PM
EE has this link for one of the newer sw fig cases w/clone trooper
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS84851H

I think I might order me up a case...
freight is about $12 on each case.

JediTricks
09-18-2002, 11:13 PM
Val Da Car, thanks for the link. That looks like a good case, it'll fill the empty slots in my collection with some figures I actually want (and a few that I don't, so I'll have to sell those at cost I guess) and since EE is local to me, I can pick it up in person and even pay with cash.

Nexu
09-18-2002, 11:32 PM
Wow, that thing's huge!!! :D I can't wait!!!!!!!

jad
09-18-2002, 11:36 PM
I recieved my Gunship from KB toys on Monday, i'm really impressed. It has to be (in my opinion) one of the best vehicles in the star wars collection. I mean you gotta love all that fire power, the large size, and those automatic sliding doors :)

My only worry is that the mechanism that works the door might eventually ware out, but i'm really carful with it, and i've figured out the least waring way to shut them.

So folks what is your favorite feature on your gunship? :)

Turbowars
09-18-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by jad
I recieved my Gunship from KB toys on Monday, i'm really impressed. It has to be (in my opinion) one of the best vehicles in the star wars collection. I mean you gotta love all that fire power, the large size, and those automatic sliding doors :)

My only worry is that the mechanism that works the door might eventually ware out, but i'm really carful with it, and i've figured out the least waring way to shut them.

So folks what is your favorite feature on your gunship? :) It's got to be the sliding side doors.

bigbarada
09-19-2002, 12:55 AM
There are so many cool features it is almost impossible to pick one. I think I will also pick the sliding doors, but I love the little gun-spheres in the wings, the drop-out floor and the storage compartments too. I also really love how it incorporates stuff that will be available later (the Pilot gun-spheres and the Speeder Bike).

2-1B
09-19-2002, 03:52 AM
I put mine together last night and I'm glad I bought it. :)

Going by the box itself, I probably wouldn't have paid $40 for it, but after seeing it at Wizard this summer, I knew I had to get it. :D

Turbo - I agree on those side doors, for whatever reason I was just so giddy playing with those. :D

bigB, Tycho, and whoever else talked about G.I. Joe - I COMPLETELY had the same thoughts going through my head, it's a real treat, eh? :) Those missiles underneath are so refreshing, I hate gawdy firing missiles and am delighted they kept it in check.

Darth Sidious
10-11-2002, 11:19 PM
My Gunship just came today and it is amazing. I would be willing to pay $80 for this thing! Tycho, your review was dead on. The missiles and bombs are cool, and I put the decals on, they do make a slight difference. I also fed the cord through, and I even had fun doing that! The doors are awesome, the bubbles are the $#!+, the guns/missiles are cool, the mass-driver missile launchers are freaking huge, the tail gun is even cool. The canopy will look great with some pilots, and the ball turrets will look awesome on the sides. It's very roomy on the inside. I can't believe how huge this thing is! It dwarves the Fambaa, and rivals the AT-AT (If you count wingspan and overall area). There is nothing about this ship I don't like. It's very heavy, but if anything that means it is of better quality. The mass-driver missile launchers don't shoot very far, but I didn't buy this Gunship to launch missiles at Iraq. :D I give it a 10/10...no...an 11/10! Buy it!

My list of favorite ships (Out of the ones I have)-

1. Republic Gunship.
2. Saga X-Wing.
3. TIE Bomber.
4. Jango Fett's Slave 1. (If nothing else because it was such an improvement over the old one :D)
5. AT-AT.
6. Millenium Falcon.
7. Jedi Starfighter.
8. Naboo Starfighter.
9. Outrider.
10. A-Wing.

DarthBrandon
10-12-2002, 07:59 PM
I got my Gunship today and as soon as I got home I opened it. This thing rocks big time, without a doubt the sliding doors are the best feature it has. The size is awesome and I put it along side of my Vintage Shuttle and I must say they are pretty much the same size except for the height. I would have to say the Gunship is way better in terms of features, room, and play-ability, but my shuttle will remain my favorite for now. Jeez, if I could only get some dam pilots to go along with it, things would be perfect.:)

Hurry up Hasbro!