PDA

View Full Version : Things I'm not buying

Tycho
09-07-2002, 09:16 PM
OK, well today I got myself a fleet of Gunships and I'm putting in them my army of Clone Troopers. Sure it cost a lot. Here's where I skipped out and saved some bucks by not being a completist:

I did not get:

Darth Maul
Qui-Gon
Luke Bespin
Han Solo
Chewie Bespin Escape

Luke's Snowspeeder
Luke's Landspeeder
Luke's X-wing
12 inch Luke on TaunTaun
AT-ST (have 4 POTF and 2 vintage versions)
TIE Interceptor (have vintage)

I don't plan on getting:

Tusken with Massif
Watto
Anakin (flipping) Deluxe
Flying Geonosian Deluxe

Death Star Trooper Acc Set
Biker Scout Acc Set
Hoth Soldier Acc Set

Star Tours R4-M9
Star Tours R3-D3 (most likely. Might use 1)

I don't know why I started this thread, but I guess I didn't want to be a downer in the threads that praise some of these toys.

Now I wish I got the Playskool stuff - all of it.

I am also quite surprised, but I'm collecting ALL of the Unleashed and really fancy it.

Geonosian
09-07-2002, 09:27 PM
Please buy the Geonosian Deluxe!

If it seels well we might get more Geos.

AdmiralPiett
09-07-2002, 09:35 PM
I highly recommend the Luke Bespin. I know that he's been done before but this figure is really nice. It has good articulation. I don't really care for the weather vane much. I just have it standing upside down on my Carbon Freeze Chamber playset to look like another piece of equipment (you might also be able to use it as a weather vane on the Lars farm on Tatooine). I have Luke in an accurate ESB diorama of the fight in the Carbon freeze Chamber. My Luke is sitting on the ground, leaning against the stairs with Bespin Vader standing in front of him (similar to the "You are beaten" pose). That actually happened while they were in the Carbon freeze Chamber area though so that's why I say it's accurate.
And as for Playskool, I could never find the Wampa one which looked the cutest in my opinion. I never saw the Endor one either. I saw plenty of the Ep. I set which was kind of cute (especially the little Maul:)) but I wasn't about to settle for that before I got the Wampa.
Piett

Tycho
09-07-2002, 09:37 PM
Oh, I want

3 3/4" Poggle the Lesser

12 Inch Poggle the Lesser

3 3/4" non-deluxe Geonosian with sonic blaster (prop style so it looks right)

-the sonic blaster with the Deluxe is too large and not authentic enough.

I will also gladly buy at least 2 of the 12 inch Geonosian Warriors.

When I see the Deluxe one, I might pick it up for at least the addition to my Arena Playset.

Rogue II
09-07-2002, 10:46 PM
The only 2 you skipped I would really reccomend buying would be Bespin Luke and Chewbacca.

Yes, Luke has that ugly little button coming out of his back, but he has great articulation and comes with some cool accessories.

Bespin Chewbacca is probably the best Chewbacca to date. He is also well artuculated and holds his blaster (or a bowcaster, if you have an extra one). I plan on using the C-3PO in a Bespin junk room. I just customed an IG-78. I plan on using the conveyor belt from the Deluxe C-3PO(when I find it).

LusiferSam
09-07-2002, 11:03 PM
I'm not sure what I'm not getting. It's one of things I'll have to wait and see what I don't like.

bigbarada
09-07-2002, 11:48 PM
You skipped Bespin Chewie??:confused: The best Chewie ever made and the perfect figure for any ANH Death Star diorama you could ever want to do? Seriously, don't pass on this figure. In fact he is so common right now that you can probably stock up on several when they go on clearance.

Well, for me the only Star Wars toy I plan to buy (figure/playset/vehicle) is Ephant Mon. Nothing else. Sure the Gunship looks nifty and I am glad for the re-release of the Shuttle, but not only do I not have space for these monsters, I don't have the money. As for figures, nothing from the prequels is really jumping out at me right now, and I might just wait for Hasbro to get tired of this action-gimmick fad before seriously collecting again. I have no use for the Geonosian playset, or the Cantina Packs, or any of the announced deluxes.

So, since I have wanted him for over 15 years (I didn't see a good pic of him until 1987) I will hold out for Ephant Mon and then hope that things will get back to the quality of the POTJ days come 2003.

Until things change and we see a return to more quality OT figures, I will be hanging out in the sidelines waiting for things to improve.

Tycho
09-08-2002, 12:08 AM
ROGUE 2, BIG BARADA:

It's really the resculpts of figures I already have that ache. My '95 Chewbaccas are now a part of my Star Wars nostalgia - he was amongst the first 9 figures they ever made this time around - the start of a legacy of over 400 now! So this Chewie carries the '98 Threepio in his cargo net just fine.

I've seen Chewie at all the stores I've shopped at, and he does look wonderful. I just have an extra Chewie Mechanic and a Boussh's Prisoner one for Senate Wookiees or some EU scene left to do with Han, and I don't need any more.

I'm really for an all-new Wookiee sculpt with something other than an ammo-bandolier on. The Senator from Kashyyyk from TPM would be wonderful!

But I bought 25 CloneTroopers. I don't have the cash to patronize resculpts. I have to make a choice and I choose my dioramas.

With Luke Bespin, the same thing goes. I think his knee articulation could have been better hidden though. But again, it's a very nice figure. I just don't need it for any reason, not any more than I need my old Bespin Luke sitting around with nothing to do were I to replace him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROGUE 2: you're idea of using the 3PO deluxe assembly line prop to make the Cloud City smelting room with Chewbacca and the Ugnaughts and IG-87 is wonderful! Good luck. I hope I get to see pictures! That is a very cool and original idea!

bigbarada
09-08-2002, 12:18 AM
I understand what you are saying about the 1995 figures being part of Star Wars nostalgia. I feel the same way, even though they generally sucked, I have learned to accept their flaws as they represented a simpler time (no Special Editions, no Prequels, GL was still considered a genius not a dottering old fool wandering his mansion speaking in Gungan;) ). I really dig the 95 Chewie as it was my favorite figure back then, but I like to use him more as a timeline type figure to show where Star Wars toys began in 78, where they were in 95 and where they are now in 2002.

Maybe since I don't build dioramas I can't understand the mentality, but I can't understand passing on such excellent updates of these figures.

Tycho
09-08-2002, 12:45 AM
Hey Big Barada :)

As to the mentality of diorama builders - it's a costly hobby, so you're always looking out for ways to cut costs on what you purchase, because your pocket hurts when you go for army builders.

I just realized I'm going to need like 16 of those pilot Clone Troopers (groan!)

The other thing is, that once you set up a scene, you like to build a different one, or add new CHARACTERS, or tweak the construction or the art - not replace the heroes it all was built around (from my personal point of view).

As to back to '95, Han and Chewie were the ones I wanted to get first, but they ended up being the ones I bought last.

I was at a Star Trek convention that Sept. - because I do like Trek, but also because I'd heard StarWars was coming and I knew they'd show up at a con's dealer room first.

The dealers weren't the big rip-off artists with their StarWars stuff the way they are now. I met a man and his daughter (both some years older than me) who were selling the first wave.

They had them for all $7-10, but Vader and the Stormtrooper were $15 I think. C-3PO wasn't in the cases then, or at least not theirs, so there were only 8 of the 9 figures.

They told me that Leia in white (Senator) was going to be rare and that I should get her and Obi-Wan quick, as cases had them sort of short-packed. I bought them at $10 each and also got Luke and R2, because they sort of go with the first 2. The dealers told me that Han and Chewie would be the most common on the racks, and that Darth Vader wouldn't be too hard to get.

I opened them right away in my car in the parking lot! Wow! R2-D2 was perfect and just like I'd always wanted.

I thought Leia looked good, if a bit stern, since they sculpted her from a photo of her shooting the stormtrooper on the Blockade Runner. She came with a lot of plastic with her inner-and-outer cloaks, even if they weren't authentic (she had no cape in the movie, but rather needed a hood folded down behind her). She looked like a man only so much as we - meaning humans - are genetically identical between the sexes when it comes to most things but our reproductive anatomy. Some features are more feminine, and some are more masculine, but we also look more one way or another depending upon what we are doing. Typically, we picture males shooting someone. Her stern "don't give me any trouble" expression was befitting the Princess in that scene, and I was ok with it. Apparently, people wanted a more Barbie-style look to her, though Carrie didn't wear that much make up to play the part in the film. I've joked using the term "monkey face" for the figure, but that's just because it's widespread that this is how people have come to know which Leia you are talking about. The connotation is not quite that much deserved. Meanwhile, I got Leia possibly 7 months before people were really finding her! She shipped more in cases once Threepio had been released. So that is why I liked the figure - for months I felt very lucky to have her!

Obi-Wan - had a little bit too rounded of face, but he was the next best value for plastic-for-your-buck. His outer cloak style would pre-empt the dawn of the molded style that gave movement to the outfit and said that the days of flimsy vinyl were long gone for good. (see Vintage Kenobi) But putting him in the landspeeder without brown sleeves coming out of a white robe was not going to work out well. It wasn't until the Episode ONE accessory packs, FOUR YEARS later, that you could outfit Obi-Wan and make him dressed appropriately for riding in the speeder. Still I was stoked, because while the vehicles hadn't hit, as a kid, making Ben and Luke race across the floor, then spin out (running over Jawas and Tusken Raiders) was one of my favorite ways to play Star Wars. Hmmmm. Too bad that in reality, the Jedi typically respected other life forms. Oh well. Luke's dad would have had fun doing this!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R2D2 - with a 3rd leg that was retractable and a light-up eye port that made him seem somehow alive and everything? Too good to be true!

Funny, I didn't recall Luke Skywalker ever being so buff. Oh-well. Having a Luke figure again was still too cool!

LTBasker
09-08-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Tycho

Funny, I didn't recall Luke Skywalker ever being so buff. Oh-well. Having a Luke figure again was still too cool!

In '95 since I had the original VHS releases I had the old boxart and I always figured that they made '95 Luke look buff because that's how he looked on the box.

You were very lucky on the Leia though, I didn't get one till 2 years later at the release of SE ANH for $25 from a scalper. :frus:

bigbarada
09-08-2002, 03:02 AM
She looked like a man only so much as we - meaning humans - are genetically identical between the sexes when it comes to most things but our reproductive anatomy.

I didn't honestly think anyone still believed that. Men and women are different on so many levels it is not even funny. Everything from body chemistry to the way we use our brains. That old notion that we are identical creatures except for what our bathing suits cover has been disproved time and again. I don't see too many women growing hair on their chest or backs (thank goodness), so how can you claim that they are identical to men?

Anyways, you always have some kind of side comment that I diagree with so completely that I just have to say something about it.;)

Me personally, I was incredibly dissatisfied with the initial waves. Figures like Artoo and Han and Vader I found to be the worst. But I have always been more interested in accuracy and sculpting anyway (I've just never like action poses). In fact, out of frustration in the first few months of my collecting in 95, I gave up completely due to my total disgust at the crappy quality of everything I was seeing. Of course, I came back as the quality improved and always wanted to see the key figures redone until they were perfect. Especially Vader, Chewie, Artoo and the Stormtrooper; since they had never gotten a vintage resculpt.

However, like the vintage toys (which I hated the look of as a kid) I eventually came to accept each figure's quirks and as new versions of each one began to surface, I found myself less and less disgusted over the multitude of flaws of the 95 line. Now I look on them with a sort of nostalgia, not as strong as what I feel for the vintage line, but with nostalgia nonetheless.

But I would NEVER use them in a diorama. That's what the superior sculpting of the new figures are for.:)

patchiswelsh
09-08-2002, 04:26 AM
Tycho have you got the geo arena or have you pre-ordered it from anywhere??

Geonosian
09-08-2002, 06:55 AM
Oh, I want

3 3/4" Poggle the Lesser

12 Inch Poggle the Lesser

3 3/4" non-deluxe Geonosian with sonic blaster (prop style so it looks right)

-the sonic blaster with the Deluxe is too large and not authentic enough.

I will also gladly buy at least 2 of the 12 inch Geonosian Warriors.

When I see the Deluxe one, I might pick it up for at least the addition to my Arena Playset. Thanks Tycho. I want everything on this list and a Geonosian Picador with Orray!!

Sinister Lord
09-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Tycho, I agree with the idea that there are a lot of toys out there now (and yet to come) that are worthy of just "passing" on. I also have a list of stuff I'm not going to buy...

TRU Luke's X-Wing
TRU Luke's Landspeeder
Cantina Bar Greedo
Cantina Bar Hammerhead
Cantina Bar Wuher
Cantina Bar Dr. Evazan
Cantina Bar Ponda Baba
New Ki Adi Mundi
New Watto
New Darth Maul (with red striped outfit)
12" Luke on Tauntaun
All of the Star Tours figures
ROTJ Boba Fett
New Boba Fett's Slave I

A lot of these items (and others) are either just unnecessary for my collection or they seem like a total rehash of stuff that Hasbro has already done, and just a few years ago! I think they need to take serious look at what they are doing, and make a firm commitment to the future of producing new toys portraying new characters and new scenes from the Star Wars saga, not just rehashing the same characters and scenes over and over again. In my opinion, what they are doing right now is producing a lot of potential pegwarmers, and that just hurts the company, and it hurts the reputation (in the eyes of both retailers and collectors) of the Star Wars toy line.

Darth Sidious
09-08-2002, 10:48 AM
I am not a completist either, but I do get new figures of old characters occasionally. But here is where I draw the line-
I will not be getting:

-Greedo/Ponda Boba/Momaw Nadon Bar Sets. I don't need those figs again, although I do like the bar sections. I most definitely will get the Wuher/Dr. Evazan/Kitik Keed'Kak sets, though.

-TRU Landspeeder. Unlike the X-Wing (I only have the 1995 one), this landspeeder is basically the same size as the old one, and I do not notice much difference between this one and the 1995 one. The Luke isn't worth it either.

-Saga Ki-Adi. It's basically the same thing. That's all I have to say about this one.

-Watto. It just doesn't appeal to me.

-Any flipping figures. Yuck.

-Han Solo. Pre-posed action stance, dumb gimmick. The only things I like are the sonic charges.

Well, there you have it. IF I EVER FIND THE OTHER ONES ( :D ) I will get them.

Tycho
09-08-2002, 11:57 AM
First, there's practically a response to everyone, and on different subject matters, too. So keep reading, or look for your name in CAPS.

SINISTER LORD: We're very similar on most of the stuff you chose to pass on. Like the folks that told me something was too cool to let pass bye, I'm going to recommend the Star Tours figures. I'm not a completist, so there are 2 or 3 I definitely don't need, but the rest make excellent ways to add droids to your scenes, especially the Geonosis Droid Factories. If you don't do dioramas or have to have them 100% completely authentic, I understand though.

Other figures have to be re-made so new fans, especially kids, can get them (Qui-Gon is not too badly peg-warming, and Darth Maul is out (I bought 5 Anakin Tatooines), but they haven't shipped enough so that it stays on the racks past 9:35 -10:05 am yet (TRU / Kay-Bee time - Wal*Mart and Target rack lives end obviously much earlier). While I don't want the figure, I'd rather not see a kid pay $10 for one of those E1 Mauls we saw piled in $1.99 bins because the character's only on E-bay now. Heck, I love the new Unleashed figures, but I have an aversion to enjoying my Maul just because I'm so anti-Maul products still... (though I like the shirtless one though).

anyway....

GEONOSIAN - yes I want a Picador with Orray, too. I want a Padme figure that can ride this for a change though. Then I can put her blasting droids off the Orray's back with Anakin in the cart deflecting blasts with his green lightsaber he got in the arena.
The decorated Geonosian Picador could work as a nice carded figure, while the 2nd figure of Padme with a ripped shirt (but legs molded to ride the Orray) wouldn't fit the Orray were she carded (not necessarily) and she would be shot down as a resculpt for sure. With Padme, I think we are getting a neutrally posed, non-ripped shirt Padme (with removeable cloak) from the Droid Factory/capture scene, and then we need a ripped shirt one without her arm permanently stuck up in a firing-her-blaster pose.
That's already 3 carded white Padmes, plus or minus a 4th with the Orray. If they could do a figure right the first time..... oh well.

(there's so many different outfits of Padme's they could do, and we need to go through essentially 4 sculpts of the same one to have authentic dioramas and allow them to sell figures with action features????)

PATCHISWELSH: I pre-ordered my Arena Playset from Walmart.com. It's just like buying from them at retail, and your shipping works out to be about the price of gas for driving there anyway. I was completely satisfied with ordering from them my Republic Gunships. I got 4 yesterday (see this saga section for my really detailed review). But it's Walmart, not BriansToys for the Force's sake! I highly recommend ordering your stuff from the major retailers like Target, Walmart, and Toys R Us. It really ends the struggle of not being able to find something. Though I know the hunt is fun, too.

- note, I've never tried these guys for individual figure sales. For 12 inch I'm sure it's fine, but the 3 3/4" I've always bought in the stores or from Yestertoys.com - another non-scalper online store that's really good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LT BASKER - yeah, the '95 is a pretty good approximation of Luke as he appeared on the box of the original ANH movie poster, and the first video release. I have those videos still in good shape, too. This is where the symbol of the two-hands on the lightsaber held straight up comes from. Leia in her ceremony dress, but with the buns in her hair, is at his side, unknown to us at the time, but symbolizing the power of the Skywalker Twins, because while R2 and C-3PO made the cover, Han, Chewie, and Ben didn't. Vader's face does though - in most versions.

BIG BARADA - I saved you for the detailed part for last. No one else may be interested in a Biology Class today ;)

1st your collecting history: in '95, there were only 9 figures that Sept. So you couldn't quit after those, you basically HAD TO.

The next wave was in Feb. '96 - Lando, Luke Snowspeeder, Boba Fett. Did you buy those? Or was that when you left for military service? Did you purposely turn down those?

In May '96 came out TIE Pilot, Han Hoth, Luke Dagobah, and Yoda. Were you after these? I think the Han Stormtrooper was beginning to ship. Did you eat your Fruit Loops?

Then in Aug. '96 Shadows of the Empire debuted. I think some people quit collecting here.

Nov. '96 saw Han Carbonite, Luke Jedi figures, with Leia Boussh shipping on a SOTE card. Figures like Boba Fett, Luke Dagobah, and Han Hoth were major pegwarmers at levels only matched later by JarJar and Darth Maul.

In December '96, the red-card Greedo, Sandtrooper, and Death Star Gunner came out - and the rest is a history wrought with great excitement and improvement! Now you HAD to want the figures, huh?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIG BARADA (again) Hasbro would make a fortune if they gave me the figure I need to build an army of neutrally posed, highly articulated, common white CloneTroopers (use the Clone Capt. mold) I'd buy a lot of those. However, I'm just not going to spend more money replacing figures because some previous version gets topped by next year's better sculpt. They are going to continue offering resculpts as long as children keep being born. If you're a completist, you'd go nuts. As a diorama builder, if you keep updating, I think you'd find it frustrating too. I try not to have any extra stuff - my carded figures are only temporary too. I only have them to appreciate the current year on my wall, but they were all bought to be openers, too. I admit the new Chewie is all everyone says he is. Very cool. But I try not to look at those figures too closely. It saves me buckaroos! :)

BIG BARADA (last note I have to catch up on with you) - I believe in evolution and evidence found by empiracle laboratory research that can be tested and re-tested to basically prove. While evolution still requires some faith, we know what to search for (genetic evidence, fossils, DNA, of the link between man and a hy-brid ape that gave rise to groups such as the Neandrothals - who were not full-human, by the way, and our own ancestors). If you want to find God, you can't build a spaceship and get Kirk and Spock to fly you into the center of the universe. The tenents of Judaeo-Christian faith say that, as well as the ratings for Star Trek 5. There is no method by which to prove there is a God. Standing in the path of a hurricane and praying with all your heart is not going to dissipate it, and most of the faithful would tell us that's what God gave us common sense for anyhow ;)

Meanwhile, on the subject of men and women, they tested and aborted experiments with chimpanzees and humans. You can do the experiment yourself (if you go and get yourself a monkey) and learn the following:

Female human DNA is 97% identical to male human DNA.

Female human DNA is 98% identical to female chimpanzee DNA.

Ummm... they found identical statistics with males and their primate species counterpart, but we won't go there...

Instead I'll say -

NFL fan DNA is 98% identical to male chimpanzee DNA and leave it at that. (don't tell the ladies facts they don't need to know).

A human-chimp live conception has been achieved many times in experiments, (through test tube work) but for morality reasons, was not allowed to come to term. The baby would be sterile, unable to have children of its own. Not "Planet of the Apes" quite yet, but still possible.

Now - women do not grow chest or facial hair in any visible amounts in most cases. But they do have testosterone - just their bodies are not programmed to manufacture and release as much. We have estrogen. That's why guys can get "man-boobs" and ladies can get beards (though fortunately, very few). French-women seem to have to wax their mustache area more often than other lineages. There are other more common but rare characteristics.

Facial structure of any of us, resembles either our mother or our father's, possibly with some of our grandparents' looks to us. It doesn't make you masculine or feminine alone. Your degree to which you show your gender is different from which parent you resemble. Thus you could be a strong masculine image born closely resembling your mother's side of the family, etc.

Women wear make-up, especially to attract men and accent their looks or hide their aging or their defects. Imperial Senator Princess Leia and Carrie Fisher were both 17-18 years old when Alderaan was destroyed. Together, they were not trying to impress men, but represent that planet and her people's ability to stay alive and fight, in an extremely desperate battle that was ultimately against the Sith. With casting of her parents as youngsters years later (on the film-making side of things), you could argue that Leia looks more like her mother Padme, and a bit of her Grandma Shmi, than she resembles her father, Anakin. But just like the singer "Chanade" looked like a very effeminite bald man, you'd have to see boobs to be sure (or other parts). There are men in their 20's that I know, who don't shave, by the way. There's that too. Give a girl a boys haircut, hide her anatomy by her clothes, and like the movie with Hilary Swank "Boys Don't Cry," you won't know until they have to use the rest room. Dolly Parton is the natual estrogen exception, and Pamela Anderson is the store-bought one.

In any case, I won't argue that we think deferently, but that's hormonal too. Men are better balanced :D

But here's an image for you. Is this a guy or a girl?

Darth Sidious
09-08-2002, 12:08 PM
Umm...Both? :D I can't tell if it is male or female, but I guess it looks more like a female to me than a male. I dare someone to make that into their avatar! :D

bigbarada
09-08-2002, 12:29 PM
You're talking about the differences between sex and gender. Sex is what you are born with (reproductive organs) and the biological differences between the sexes (men have much more muscle mass in the upper body and larger lung capacity). Gender is how we are conditioned to identify with our sex. From the pink and blue booties in the hospital to the football field (however, show me any woman who can take the beating that guys do on the football field, you could argue that those men work out, but not as much as you would think, their bodies are programmed to be that big. That doesn't happen with women who have lower bone density, thus are more susceptible to osteoporosis). No matter how I had been raised, I would never be able to pass for a woman, even if I got electrolosis on my face and put on make-up, my features are simply too masculine and a casual observer would pick it out immediately. It's not politically correct, I know, but it's simple biology. The differences are vast and they do exist. Whether the militant feminists want to admit it or not (feminists nowadays couldn't care less about equality, they want superiority).

As for the 1995 figures, only seven made it to the shelves in the early months. Threepio and Leia were delayed. I actually found a Boba Fett and Luke X-Wing before I found a Threepio on the shelves. I quit collecting while searching for the Lando figure. I hadn't bought Leia since she was too ugly, but I began to get sick of the look of the figures at the beginning of 1996 when I saw the TIE Pilot/ Dagobah Luke wave. I didn't pick up collecting again until May of 1997.

Tycho
09-08-2002, 01:59 PM
I have to disagree about the sex and size issues.

I wish I'd been big enough to play football!

I was scared when I was younger. I thought I'd get killed. Part of that prompted me to go into karate instead.

And no, you wouldn't be mistaken for a woman Barada, nor would I for that matter, but you are more masculine than I can ever hope to be. I didn't get that lucky with what nature dealt me out.

(or I'd have played football - still should've....grrrrrrr! As for team sports, I played baseball from tee-ball thru high school varsity instead - where you only got tackled by the occasional baserunner who wasn't looking where he was going. My kidneys bled internally when I tried using that heavy weight-gainer stuff.)

So, I'm not tall, dark, and handsome. I'm short, blonde, and a nerd instead. Maybe not effeminate, but there are women who are better suited to playing football than I ever was! (wouldn't want to date them though :rolleyes: )

Meanwhile, chemical balances regulated by estrogen and testosterone levels dictate differences in bone density, etc. Women are actually supposed to be able to bulk up bigger than men - they are naturally able to get fat so that their body can store sustenance in case they can't find food when they are pregnant. It goes back to the hunter-gatherer days we came from. We are evolving as a species differently, because as men, we prefer the thin, toned women, and those kinds of girls will find mates more, then babies, therefore natural selection.

I'm a male, and one that likes to hold on to the little power and double-standards in our favor that we have left to us, so I don't care what the feminists say, but I won't deny biological science. In this case, it agrees with them. That much is good. If they're fat, then they won't starve if they wait to eat until after they've gone to the store and brought me another beer! :D See - nature's selected them to be naturally adapted for something. (just kidding - but sometimes I can't resist playing Archie Bunker).

Anyway, you didn't guess at all on the picture.

The picture is of NATALIE PORTMAN:

Darth Sidious
09-08-2002, 02:41 PM
Ahh...I see now. Wow, I was right about the gender but when you cut off the hair she really is mannish...well, her face, anyway. :D That's a good trick to play on somebody.

bigbarada
09-08-2002, 02:47 PM
I figured the picture was feminine and I would have guessed it was Natalie, but I didn't want to fall for some Photoshop trickery.

Interesting fact, did you know that air pollution in big cities contains estrogen which makes men impotent and more feminine? Hence the sudden need (although overblown by marketing) for Viagra. (of course that can also be linked to the proliferation of sex in advertising)

In any case any argument about sex can be rendered invalid by providing exceptions. Men and women are not similar in body size or build. Go around to any country high school and take averages of all boys and girls and you will find that boys tend to be bigger and stronger than girls regardless of how they are raised.

I used to lift weights for a long time and I can tell you that unless you are born with a massive muscle structure, all the weightlifting in the world won't make you as big as Ahh-nold (not taking into account use of steroids, men were born big long before steriods were discovered). Your body type and genetics determine how big you will be (the three main body types are Endomorph, Ectomorph and Mesomorph).

However, sex and gender are very subjective to one's personal experience. What one person determines as right another will see as bizarre or perverse.

BTW, when it comes to the rules of nature. Sexual equality is the most unnatural thing in the world. Look at the animal kingdom, and you will see that one sex is ALWAYS dominant over the other (whether it be male or female dominance). However, we humans do many things that are unnatural in comparison with the animal world (wear clothing, use the bathroom indoors, eat with a fork and spoon) so this great big experiment of sexual equality is pretty exciting stuff and I am interested to see where it eventually goes (for better or worse).

Tycho
09-08-2002, 03:19 PM
So which sex is dominant in humans?

Women can get something any time they want it. In animals, this is seen to extremes. Men cannot accomplish this to the same degree as an attractive lady. But they'll surrender money, power, integrity, anything to get a favor...

Unless you condone conquest by force. Then man can use his natural advantages were laws and the fear of punishment by weaker men (and numbers) not so restrictive.

Western men were not so different from the Taliban were fighting now. They once were dominant. Women couldn't go to school, be professionals, or vote. Over time, we weakened and lost our hold. They wooed us by wearing looser clothing, teasing us with each new freedom - as we prefer ladies in bikinis versus the women dressed in the traditional garb required by the Taliban. But their dominance and the loyalty of their women is absolute. Osama Bin Laden is representative of the dominant male in a culture. While I hate that man and what he did, I know that in the White House, George Jr. is not wearing the pants, and when Clinton took his off, he had a lot of trouble putting them on again.

It's funny though. You should keep disagreeing. Because as long as you are ... we're still on the topic of "things i'm not buying." LOL

bigbarada
09-08-2002, 04:15 PM
As can be said for my thoughts on your opinion. :p

I'm not spewing out generations of male shovenism, most of it is stuff that has been proven in sociological studies. Male dominance has existed exclusively throughout human history until recently. And if you take the whole of human history (my view - 6000 years, yours - probably in the millions of years) what we are living in right now is the deviance from the norm. Norms aren't about good or bad, right or wrong, they are about averages. And that's a simple rule of statistics. Men have been dominant over women throughout history because of one simple fact that not even you can disagree with: Women give birth to children. When a woman is pregnant or raising a very young child in a hunter-gatherer/pastoral/horticultural/agricultural society she is effectively removed from the workforce for months, even years for each child. And in the male-dominant realm of primitive societies, a woman's value is measured by only one thing: how many sons she produces. Thus women tended to stay pregnant and unable to participate in hunting parties or hard farm labor. Thus men gained the upper hand.

Industrialization changed all of that, and all the notions of male-dominance have been thrown out the window. The leftover shovenism that exists today is referred to as 'cultural lag.' Meaning that the attitudes of the people have not caught up with the society.

Even today, women are not a dominant force in the US. How many women have we had as President? Vice President? So you see that the US is still in the state of cultural lag.

Of course, many feminists like to talk about how if women ran the world, we wouldn't have any of the big problems we have now. Well, that's true. We would have all different problems that were just as destructive and dysfunctional as what we have today. We would be no better off with women running the world than we are with men running it.

However, this is all about gender and has nothing to do with sex. The biological differences separate the sexes, but do not make one sex better or dominant over the other. Culture and circumstance take care of that.

I see trying to make clear rules about the sexes like trying to explain to an 18th century man the differences between a car and a truck. The differences are clear upon first viewing, but exceptions can be found to every identifying feature. Trucks have beds, well so did the old El Camino cars. Cars have four doors, not all cars do and the most recent trucks also have four doors. Trucks are made to go offroad, well what about a two wheel drive lowrider truck? Cars are more luxurious, well what about those Cadillac SUVs?

The differences are there and they are obvious, but they are just beyond the grasp of being defined. Apart from purely sexual definitions (in the case of humans, not cars:) )

Tycho
09-08-2002, 04:25 PM
You're right it's hard to define. In some animal groups, the males stick around only long enough to impregnate the females, then they take off.

Some humans behave that way too. They are often seen in the socio-economic group known as "guests of the Jerry Springer Show."

Other times, while the female is the baby-maker, and the welfare recipient that's approved, several males stick around to get benefits. This is a move for the worse that has been forged in our modern society.

Geeze, the categories can go on and on. I agree, there are less and less clear geneder roles from now on.

We have voluntary single-parents of both sexes, too. George Lucas is a single-father, having nothing to do with (or even knowing) the mother of his children - though they are not his biological children.

Wealth obviously influences gender roles, as here is a male who can stay home with young children. You only have to sell a blockbuster motion picture first. :rolleyes:

But we got so far away from the reason we are discussing this: whether '95 Leia looks like a man or not.

Here's a picture of a very masculine woman. You tell me if she's attractive or not?

Or a man with a sex change?

bigbarada
09-08-2002, 04:35 PM
That's doctored up photo of Arnold Schwarzenegger!:eek:

How about we end it with this: Regardless of whether the '95 Leia looks like a man or not (which I didn't really think she did, more like Leia's unfortunate sister, Princess Olga:) ) she definitely doesn't look like Carrie Fisher.

Tycho
09-08-2002, 04:38 PM
Darn it! YOU GOT ME!!!!

Ha-Haaa-hAaaaa-hAAAA-hHHhAAA-HAAA!

Yup! It is Arnold Schwartzeneggar! I shouldn't have picked anyone so obvious!

Here's Arnold - and the source of his new hair, LOL:

Lord Malakite
09-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Here's a picture of a very masculine woman. You tell me if she's attractive or not?

Or a man with a sex change?

Its Arnold on estrogen. :D

Tycho
09-08-2002, 04:47 PM
Thanks for playing guys!

I laughed so hard thinking about this thread that I spit up my drink just now.

We started talking about Star Wars products we don't want and it's come down to resorting to posting pictures of PREGNANT MEN! ROTFLMAO!

Who would have thought???

Geeze that is funny.

Maybe when they get around to it, in Episode 3, Padme will be pregnant with the twins, but she'll get killed and they have to do a c-section, and Anakin ops to carry the kids to term. But when he starts to go to the Dark Side, baby Luke rips out his lungs and they have to operate immediately and put him on the Vader respirator, while he thinks the kids are dead.

Put that down on the list of figures I don't want or ever think I'll need:

PREGNANT ANAKIN! LOL!

Haw-haw-heeehhaw-ho-haaah-hAAA!

Beast
09-08-2002, 04:51 PM
Wow, and this thread began talking about what Action figures Tycho isn't going to buy? Seriously man, go buy yourself a Chewbacca: Cloud City Escape and get your mind off this craziness. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
09-08-2002, 05:13 PM
Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Tycho; but it didn't really have a point anyway, did it?:p

Tycho
09-08-2002, 05:26 PM
I forgot, but things I don't want and do want continue:

I don't want a new Boba Fett 3 3/4" figure. It's really not necessary. The 300th was acceptable.

I could see them using the Jango Kamino Escape arm for a grappling hook / skiff battle one with blast effects for his rockets and gun though. Tempting.... but nahhh.

I also don't need Boba Fett's Slave-One made from a repaint of the new Jango Fett's ship mold.

What I do want - and you guys will hate this:

I want the old Slave-One reissued with Jango's paint sceme or something so we can have Boba run up the boarding ramp without piles of discarded model paint and thinning-remover all over our houses, LOL.

Or they could make the ship again, with a boarding ramp and prisoner cages, all new features. Then they could repaint that one and issue it as both Jango's and Boba's as well!

3 resculpts for 1 ship. JarJar's right. I am crazy. But I'd buy 'em too!

I love Slave-One now!

Beast
09-08-2002, 05:35 PM
Boba's armor and rocketpack differs from Empire Strikes Back to Return of the Jedi. So as long as the upcoming ROTJ version is as good as the 300th Fett and has the ROTJ color scheme, I'll be happy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stad
09-09-2002, 08:17 AM
Actually, I don't want another Slave 1 at all, at least not for the next year. Sheesh, I still haven't got around to opening the POTF2 Slave 1, it's sitting in my garage in the box, unopened. Plus we just got Jango's Slave 1, plus the reissue Slave 1 w/Jango, enough is enough. At least give it another year or two before Slave 1 is reissued yet again. Or at least reissue TIE fighters or interceptors first!

Geonosian
09-09-2002, 08:18 AM
GEONOSIAN - yes I want a Picador with Orray, too. I want a Padme figure that can ride this for a change though. Then I can put her blasting droids off the Orray's back with Anakin in the cart deflecting blasts with his green lightsaber he got in the arena.
The decorated Geonosian Picador could work as a nice carded figure, while the 2nd figure of Padme with a ripped shirt (but legs molded to ride the Orray) wouldn't fit the Orray were she carded (not necessarily) and she would be shot down as a resculpt for sure. With Padme, I think we are getting a neutrally posed, non-ripped shirt Padme (with removeable cloak) from the Droid Factory/capture scene, and then we need a ripped shirt one without her arm permanently stuck up in a firing-her-blaster pose.
That's already 3 carded white Padmes, plus or minus a 4th with the Orray. If they could do a figure right the first time..... oh well.
Will we get one in 2003?

PLEASE SAY YES, PLEASE SAY YES!!

Tycho
09-09-2002, 09:13 AM
I'm not the toy guy here. Steve's the one in the loop on this sort of stuff.

bigbarada
09-09-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Geonosian
PLEASE SAY YES, PLEASE SAY YES!!

Yes.

Now what was the question again?:p:D

JangoFart
09-10-2002, 12:16 AM
Tycho:

Your point about the resculpts is surely well taken. HOWEVER, if ANY of these figures needed resculpts is every one of the first POTF2 figures from 95! Those things were horrid! Chewbacca looks like he downed a gallon of space 'roids and Billy Dee wishes he had pecs and abs like that!

If for no other reason than accuracy for you dioramas, you should snag that Bespin Chewie - as he is, in my opinion, the nicest Chewie to come out yet. (Although the Mill. Falcon mechanic was sweet too)

J

Geonosian
09-10-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada

Yes.

Now what was the question again?:p:D Will we get a Geonosian Picador with Orray in 2003?

RooJay
09-10-2002, 03:38 PM
Things I'm not buying:

any 12" (other than Dooku maybe; he's still not great, but this line should be at least this good ALL the time.)

Unleashed Jango (love the concept - this one just doesn't seem to fit)

Unleashed Padme (looks nothing like Padme; a bit too masculine in the face for my tastes!)

Deluxe Anakin w/Geonosian

Deluxe Jango (never have been a fan of the giant, electronic accessories!)

Jedi Starfighter w/ Obi-Wan Pilot (aready have both of each - don't need another!)

any supposed F.A.O. Schwarz exclusive Shuttle that might exist (due to the nature and price I refuse to acknowledge it's existence)

Saga Action Fleet (already bought 'em back when they were the regular Galoob Action Fleet! I might consider buying the newly sculpted ones, but they look few and far between anyway!)

Saga accessory sets (not enough useful stuff in there for me. Maybe I'll pick up one or two if I end up with a surplus of cash somewhere down the line, and even then probably only the Death Star and Arnea Battle sets - I would like another Death Star Trooper and some red Battle Droids, but they are quite pricey to be buying for only that reason)

Saga Qui-Gon

Tusken w/ Massif (not enough new to entice me to buy!)

Bib Forlobster
09-10-2002, 05:29 PM
Tycho, you mentioned that you wish you had bought all the Playschool stuff. Has something happened to this line that I'm unaware of?!?! I hope it has not been discontinued!! The Playschool line has been some of my favorite merchandise so far. Please, tell me it's not so.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-10-2002, 11:39 PM
None of the remaining deluxe figures that I haven't already gotten (Windu, Anakin attack, Jango, Dooku, Obi, C-3PO) unless they go on clearance.

Ditto for the Slave I. They are pegwarming most everywhere. Why pay a lot of money when I can surely find it for a lesser amount come clearance time.

None of the Wal-Mart exclusive Cantina packs. Overpriced and pegwarming so far.

The Target Accessory Packs (have seen them many times and are not worth the $$$)

Target Action Fleet Packs (the only one I will consider getting is the one with the Lars Landspeeder because I missed this during the original Galoob production)

Action Fleet Ships (The only when I have picked up so far is the Falcon because I had missed this earlier. Vader's Tie Fighter and the X-wing are near rehashes of the original. Will pick up some from the next waves though).

Tycho
09-11-2002, 12:18 AM
PlaysKool line: Hasbro said they had to plans to make any more.

This DOES NOT mean they are not going to keep the current stuff in production. The Millennium Falcon is available in FAO Schwartz's Christmas catalog. But it's 10 dollars over-priced so I'm not going to go that route.

There's 6 sets:

Falcon

ANH - Xwing
ESB - Wampa
ROTJ - Speederbikes
TPM - Naboo Fighter
AOTC - Reek Monster

-----------------------------------------------------

Lowly Bantha Cleaner: Hasbro made 5 brand new vehicles for AOTC:

Slave-One
Jedi Starfighter
Republic Gunship
Anakin's Speeder
Zam Wessel's speeder

Paying retail price for these items:

$24
$18 (I think)
$38
$14
$14

tells the toy companies

Toys R Us
Target
K-mart
Wal*Mart
Kay-Bee

to order MORE.

SELLING Vehicles causes Hasbro to MAKE MORE.

vehicles like:

Jabbas Sailbarge
The Sith Infiltrator
The Jawa Sandcrawler
The Twin Pod Cloud Car
The Hailfire Droid
The Mon Calamari Crusier
The Gungan Submarine
The Lars Landspeeder
The Medical Frigate (Nebulon-B Cruiser)
The AT-TE troop walker
The Star Destroyer
Teemto Pegules Pod Racer
The Blockade Runner
The Rebel Transport
A Geonosian Fighter

They are motivated because retailers make a profit selling them, and these vehicles would create a profit for:

Toys R Us
Kay Bee
Target
Wal*Mart
K-mart
etc.

I personally WANT the vehicles I listed above, and more like

Spider Droids
Ody Mandrell's Pod Racer
Gasgano's Pod Racer

I'll let a retailer make a profit off me as long as I am paying RETAIL price for it.

I built my own Blockade Runner and it cost me over $700. Mass producing and retailing my ship would only cost consumers $250 thereabouts, because of diminishing marginal cost curves.

If people don't understand that, then understand this:

Support your hobby. If you like it and want more, don't let it go under.

Products like ships and vehicles on clearance mean you won't get the other new or never-made-before ships and vehicles, because it's not profitable.

All the new ships and vehicles are extremely high quality and better than I was expecting for them! If you pay retail price, they will be worth your money.

If you make your economic choices because you are limited to doing so, don't encourage everyone else to do it to. Again, you'll short-end the hobby itself if everyone has that attitude.

If anyone here wonders why companies need to make a profit, or deserve to, go out and get yourself a better education, a better job, and enjoy the benefits of that. Then join a socialist club so you can talk to someone who will tell you that you don't deserve what you earn. Then think back to what you said in a reply here.

Thank you.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-11-2002, 12:44 AM
Lowly Bantha Cleaner: Hasbro made 5 brand new vehicles for AOTC:

Slave-One
Jedi Starfighter
Republic Gunship
Anakin's Speeder
Zam Wessel's speeder

Paying retail price for these items:

$24
$18 (I think)
$38
$14
$14

tells the toy companies

Toys R Us
Target
K-mart
Wal*Mart
Kay-Bee

to order MORE.

SELLING Vehicles causes Hasbro to MAKE MORE.

vehicles like:

Jabbas Sailbarge
The Sith Infiltrator
The Jawa Sandcrawler
The Twin Pod Cloud Car
The Hailfire Droid
The Mon Calamari Crusier
The Gungan Submarine
The Lars Landspeeder
The Medical Frigate (Nebulon-B Cruiser)
The AT-TE troop walker
The Star Destroyer
Teemto Pegules Pod Racer
The Blockade Runner
The Rebel Transport
A Geonosian Fighter

They are motivated because retailers make a profit selling them, and these vehicles would create a profit for:

Toys R Us
Kay Bee
Target
Wal*Mart
K-mart
etc.

I personally WANT the vehicles I listed above, and more like

Spider Droids
Ody Mandrell's Pod Racer
Gasgano's Pod Racer

I'll let a retailer make a profit off me as long as I am paying RETAIL price for it.

I built my own Blockade Runner and it cost me over $700. Mass producing and retailing my ship would only cost consumers $250 thereabouts, because of diminishing marginal cost curves.

If people don't understand that, then understand this:

Support your hobby. If you like it and want more, don't let it go under.

Products like ships and vehicles on clearance mean you won't get the other new or never-made-before ships and vehicles, because it's not profitable.

All the new ships and vehicles are extremely high quality and better than I was expecting for them! If you pay retail price, they will be worth your money.

If you make your economic choices because you are limited to doing so, don't encourage everyone else to do it to. Again, you'll short-end the hobby itself if everyone has that attitude.

If anyone here wonders why companies need to make a profit, or deserve to, go out and get yourself a better education, a better job, and enjoy the benefits of that. Then join a socialist club so you can talk to someone who will tell you that you don't deserve what you earn. Then think back to what you said in a reply here.

Thank you.

Tycho, first of all, economic difficulties dictate most often what I buy and what I don't.

I am a recent college graduate. I have not found a full-time job soon although I am confident I can get one soon. It might take until May, but I am sure at this time next year I will be working in my chosen field for a long time.

Until then, I work a minimum wage job for my parents. I can probably work at many other places that would double my salary if I so desired, but I recognize the strong contribution I make to our family business. I also am grateful for all the financial help they have given me during my college years (at a school with an $18,000 a year tuition) and the fact that I get my meals, room, rent, utilities for free. That is the main reason why I continue to help them for the time being. I am repaying them for all the help they have given me.

Until then, I have substantial student loans that are nipping at me. For some who earns the wage I have, I cannot afford to be living a Burt Reynolds lifestyle when I have a Mac Davis income. As a result, a lot of my paycheck goes straight to the bank, which in turns goes straight into Sallie Mae.

The take home pay that I do get to spend every two weeks, is a meager $60 (not a heck of a lot, but I can strech a dollar :greedy:). A lot of that goes to the gastank. Some of it goes towards entertainment purposes. What I have left goes right towards Star Wars. So Donald Trump I ain't.

So a lot of my hunts for items involve looking but not a lot of buying. I have to make choices due to my limited funds. I have bought a Landspeeder, I have bought a Jedi Starfighter not to mention the Snowspeeder. I paid full price for those. I would have also bought the Tie Bomber if I saw it too. Plus I also indulged on several other vehicles including the AT-ST, B-Wing, Tie Interceptor, and the Skiff. Not bad for a collector who bought his first ship in late 2000. Those alone ate up a huge part of my take-home pay. Plus, I have done my part to lessen the tidal wave of figures that currently overflow at many retail stores--I have gotten the forty figures that I have seen, plus a few doubles. This is remarkable for me, because I had never concentrated on getting every figure in any line before. And I paid retail price for all of them. Most of the Ep1 stuff I got on clearance. My POTJ collection I didn't start until I bought a fair number at sales.

If I do get land a job in the future that will pay me five figures, and I continue to be a tightwad, you can criticize me all you want. But as for now, I am committed to passing up things even if I really desire them. As long as I know they will be seen in the future for a little less money, then I will get them. And I see nothing wrong with that. :D

Tycho
09-11-2002, 01:37 AM
I agree with you Lowly Bantha Cleaner.

I just finished college now 2 years ago, and life and income is still not secure. I have 5 jobs in a way, several are entirely volunteer and seem to be edging into full time work almost.

I am a political affairs consultant on city redevelopment works (paid, but contracted for - read $50/ hr but no benefits, self-employed)

I am a business district revitalization project coordinator. Paid, but by a non-profit, so hours work do not equal those compensated for.

I am a community planning consultant - elected and serving at my own expense to gain experience and add achievements to my record.

I am a campaign staff director or a campaign consultant on 2 races for San Diego City Council, and 1 for California State Legislature - totally unpaid for two of them, though the benefits of a very decent job await me after each victory in November, and / or also qualify me for future paid campaign consulting and management work.

I am a bidder for a Metropolitan Transportation reorganization contract that will help facilitate a program I am working to develop that will reduce traffic congestion in the City of San Diego.

In college I got a credit card with my bank account. When I applied for loans to get a SeaDoo watercraft, I got a second one. The SeaDoo will be completely paid off in about a year, but I owe almost $7,000 for a lot of my Star Wars, (maybe some vacations and expensive dates with high-maintainance girls, and clothes to go out in) and including $1300 from April 23, 2002 when AOTC products went on sale.

I make all my payments on time and negotiated a 10.9 % interest rate for myself.

I was lucky because my education and housing was handled from both being the only heir of my father, and academic scholarships I was awarded, which in turn helped me graduate with honors.

I hope to be able to one day (in the next 3-5 years I hope) purchase a 4-5 bedroom home to set up and display the nearly $30,000 worth of Hasbro Star Wars I had to own (with credit balances between $13,000 and the current $7K I have to pay off now). Every American seems to be in debt - and it sucks. I know. However, my Shuttle Tyderium will add another $150 or whatever to my amount, and I just want that ship and I really don't care.

I work my butt off, and in San Diego, I may have to pay $300,000 for a 2-3 bedroom condo because I want to live where I can surf, jet ski, and have set myself up for eventual election to City Council. Then I have to move my should've-been-permanent-takes-hours-to-set-up Star Wars scenes TWICE because the Condo won't be big enough, but I'll have to sell it at a profit after a year or more, to get the money arranged for a 4-5 bedroom house that will fit all my Star Wars (if I park in the street and also use my garage as the Death Star!)

But I will not support a secondary market and pay $300.00 for my shuttle Tyderium several years from now even if I'm making twice what I earn per hour now. (and I'm not working at that rate for more than 10-15 hours per week anyhow).

I still live on a budget. I typed all this because I work like a dog and I'm still far from buying a house. And I'm ******* angry about it!

That being said, I'll take my discount when I see one. I got the 12" Luke Speederbike for $12 dollars, but my hobby only contributes to my professional hopes and my financial goals (for my earnings) in the long run, so I can charge or pay cash for a Sailbarge, but Hasbro will make one in case that's all I end up having to live for ;)

But they will make one! (because I have plans for building my own which will run me at least $400)

RooJay
09-11-2002, 11:10 PM
DUDE! 50 dollars and hour, and you still live on a budget?! I want your budget! I understand what you mean, but a lot of us "work like dogs" and still can't even afford rent! Even those of us who have also completed college. You should consider yourself incredibly lucky!

No offense, and sorry to comment a bit off topic.

Tycho
09-12-2002, 01:14 AM
I guess you just have to keep in mind that anything that sounds too good to be true, usually is. 3K a month, which I struggle to get, is nothing. I know exactly where the bottom of my pockets are!

(but, yeah...I've charged up a Star Wars collection on credit that goes way beyond that!)

stad
09-12-2002, 05:55 PM
3K a month isn't nothing, I can attest to that. When you work for yourself, there is a LOT of expenses that have to be figured in. Heck, I'm usually a bit past 3-4K per month, but after expenses, I have a BAD toy habit. And I don't even have to contend with California cost of living!

RooJay
09-12-2002, 06:37 PM
Sorry, I'd assumed you meant 50/ hour at 40 hours/ week. Still, 3000/ month isn't bad; I've had to live off much less before.

Tycho
09-12-2002, 07:31 PM
Exactly. I especially relate to what Stad wrote.

You have to buy your own insurance for auto, health, renters', pay your business taxes, take out money for your own income taxes, etc. etc.

and of course there's our greatest cost of living: Star Wars...:rolleyes:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-12-2002, 10:49 PM
I for one, hate to live in debt.

I make all my payments for my credit card, automobile, and school loans on time.

I know of a few people who are in financial peril because of thousands of dollars in purchases they rang up, but couldn't to pay, on their credit card. They are also still in college and not yet employed, which I think is a major mistake. Credit card companies should be a little more stricter in handing out credit cards like candy to any John Q college student.

As a result, these persons have a poor credit rating which will severly affect any future plans for taking out loans or anything.

All this means that when I go to the store, I have to think of buying stuff with a budget in mind. Even though have Magic Mr. Credit Card with me in my wallet, I have to forecast how much money I will have at the end of the month in order for myself to make a payment. Because of this, I sparingly use it. I bought a Landspeeder at TRU in late August using my credit card. That will probably be my sole purchase for the month. I know I can afford more purchases but I have to come to the realization that I cannot have every Star Wars toy for myself, even the ones that I truly desire.

Everytime I shop I make decisions on which item I will buy, and which item I might get come the next paycheck, and which item I will not get no matter what. There are a few tough decisions (since I want most of everything :evil:) but I usually walk out of the store satisifed with my decisions.

Tycho
09-13-2002, 02:10 AM
One thing we have to all decide on is - what are you lucky to have found, and what can you buy later?

For example, if you see a TIE Bomber in the store - do not hesitate or you may not see it ever again!

I still don't have 12" AOTC Mace Windu - nor am I excited about getting him either, but I am reasonably sure he'll still be there (until Episode 3 comes out probably...(joke)