PDA

View Full Version : Very disturbing discovery at Super K...!

JEDIpartner
08-17-2001, 10:47 AM
I stopped into a Super K in Brooklyn, OH last night. They had been pretty good about getting the POTJ figures on the pegs for a few months. I picked up the last Mechanic Chewie about 3 weeks ago.

I went in expecting to see either new shipments or empty pegs. I was horrified to find NO PEGS!!! I looked up an down the aisles and they had the Digimon, Pokemon, JP3 and superhero stuff along with the Max Steel stuff. There was NOTHING!! The only traces of STAR WARS I could find were 3 Qui-Gon Lightsabers that had been marked down.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Has anyone else been expeiencing this with the Super Ks around the nation? :eek:

Mandalorian Candidat
08-17-2001, 10:57 AM
Sorry, I have to plead ignorance on this one. Is Super K like a Super Big KMart or is that the actual name? I don't think they have them in my area (UT). Are they like W-M or more like a supermarket?

Sith Worm
08-17-2001, 01:06 PM
Yes to both your questions. The super K is like that most of the time down here and yes they are like a super WAL-MART with out good SW toys! Even though they will suprise every now and then I got a few orange card Epi. I figs their Amidala acension gun and Sio Bibble that was the only place I ever sall either of those figs!

PloKoon2385
08-17-2001, 06:16 PM
Star Wars seems to be going extinct at stores lately. Recently my TRU and Target has been my place to buy, which is quite unusual. And Wal-Mart has stopped carrying them for a while, and KB has not gotten anything new, and Target has been reported of not carrying them. And TRU is going through changes, adding KidsR Us and Imaginarium, decreasing their toys section! AAAAAARG!:mad:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-17-2001, 11:47 PM
What may be happening is that the major retailers are revamping their toy aisle to prepare for the upcoming Christmas season. They could have temporairly moved the figures only to bring them back at a different location in the aisle later. I know the Wal Marts and the Targets in my area are currently doing this or are just beginning to do this.

Darth Cruel
08-18-2001, 04:25 AM
It is perfectly normal to see smaller (yes even in some cases, completely gone) stocks of toy lines in order to make room for the current "hot" lines. The Big K-Marts here in the Victorville, CA. area can still be counted on once in a while. But it seems to me that Star Wars is enjoying less shelf space in MOST of the big chains. The local Kay-Bee has next to nothing. I don't sweat it, though. The next film is about 9 months away. There will come a Star Wars flood to ALL major chains...you read it here first!

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 09:25 AM
I haven't seen POTJ at my local K-mart in probably 6 months, literally!

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-18-2001, 12:08 PM
There is a Super Kmart right by where I work and I have made many great discoveries there. (Aunt Beru, Holo Sidious Wave, Sio Bibble Wave, Obi-Wan Lightsaber...) In fact, otherwise difficult-to-find items have often sat there for weeks. But for two months now there has been a single POTJ Boss Nass. And nothing else.

Like Raymond says, "Kmart sucks."

12inch Lando
08-18-2001, 03:43 PM
I think that we're going through a normal cycle. I wouldn't read too much into it.

oldfossil
08-18-2001, 09:58 PM
I have to say that the KMart here in Laurel, MS, is brimming with good POTJ: numerous Dirty Biker Scouts, Bespin Han Solos, Coruscant Guards, a couple of Saesee Tiinns, a lone IG-88, several Throne Room Amidalas, and the usual compliment of Sandpeople, Chocobi-wans, and Boomer Damaged Battle Droids. They even have a couple of Bespin Guards and Sabes left after nearly two weeks, and one Duro.

At least, that's what I found last Wednesday.

Echo_7
08-18-2001, 10:40 PM
Seems like every Super K in my area is boycotting POTJ. Not one lone figure to be found! NONE!! My local WalMart is just as bad. If I want something here latley, it seems that I have to go to Target or TRU. Sometimes TRU is just as bad, but atleast they restock the pegs, eventually!

Neo Solo
08-19-2001, 01:20 AM
Up here in the great frosty we had nothing from the first wave of Ep1 along with first wave flashbacks right up to Mech. Chewie wave. Since then, we've had all waves of POTJ upto and including the Snobi wave.

Personally, I don't give a crap if Canada wants to sell this stuff or not. I collect U.S. packaging only and I get it off the net. I just got tired of hunting endlessly only to find 1 or 2 that I need.:)

Darth Cruel
08-19-2001, 02:02 AM
JT - There is a K-Mart (not a BigK) on Beach just North of the 405 that had some POTJ last month when I was working down there. They were older POTJ, though.

JediTricks
08-19-2001, 10:19 AM
I don't get the Canadian card thing, why doesn't Hasbro simply not sell figures in Quebec and use the US cards?

DC, thanks for the update, ONE K-mart in the LA area has POTJ... old ones. Wow. ;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-19-2001, 12:52 PM
If I'm not mistaken JT, Canadian law requires all packaging to be in the country's two official languages, English and French (at least that is the law for all signs to be in those two languages). I have a trilingual card from Canada and it's kinda neat.

Neo Solo
08-19-2001, 02:05 PM
LBC- Yup. that's our wonderful law in Canada. EVERYTHING has to have both "official" languages. I guess it might look neat if you didn't have it rammed down your throat. I like the U.S. packaging 'cause it looks cleaner and less cluttered. If you ever need anything with the extra crap on there, let me know. I'll do what I can to find it for you. As I said earlier, the selection up here is at an all-time high!

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 02:14 AM
OH! I thought it was only the law in Quebec. That's lame, and Quebec doesn't even want to be a part of Canada, I hear.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-21-2001, 11:24 PM
Other K-mart stores, miles away from the one in my hometown, had been getting new figs in like clockwork, but today I was pleasantly surprised. Instead of having two lonely porkins and jedi duels my local K-mart finally got all of the Duros wave in as well as some Coruscant Guards, Gungan Warriors, K-3pos, and a solitary Saesee Tinn.