PDA

View Full Version : moulin rouge, ( disscuss it here!)

hayden's_hunnie
09-08-2002, 07:37 AM
ok, there might be other threads on this, but i have looked and found nothing, general chat about moulin rouge, actors, and actresses! anything goes!
~thanks, kez~

Pendo
09-08-2002, 08:28 AM
I haven't yet seen the movie, but I have seen Ewan McGregor sing. That was enough to make me NOT want to see it!!! :crazed:

PENDO!

BlahBlahBlah
09-08-2002, 09:25 AM
Beautiful movie. One of my all time favorites.

And McGregor's singing isn't all that bad, IMO.

SithDroid
09-08-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
I haven't yet seen the movie, but I have seen Ewan McGregor sing. That was enough to make me NOT want to see it!!!

Ewan McGreggor is AWESOME in Moulin Rouge. He has an Amazing voice. I should know, I am a singer and an actor and those notes he hits are HIGH and he does them in full voice instead of going into falsetto which is very difficult. He was WAY better in Moulin Rouge than Nicole Kidman and I just don't understand why everyone gave her all this praise for the movie, but Ewan McGreggor was left out of the running for the Oscar. Whatever. The movie is absolutely amazing. The sets and cinematography are fantastic. Hopefully due to the great success of this movie we will start seeing more movie musicals. Hollywood needs to start bringing them back.

Eternal Padawan
09-08-2002, 05:54 PM
I really liked MR! It was in my top three for the year. Only LOTR was a better film, and Memento was just as good. Funny how both Memento and MR! got shafted at the Academy awards. Where was Ewan's best actor nom? I'm still huffy about that one.
Ewan's rendition of "This is your song" is even better than Sir Elton's in my opinion. He sang it with such gusto and sincerity. It's one of my favorite scenes from ANY movie EVER.

ROLLO!

BlahBlahBlah
09-08-2002, 06:22 PM
I think the best scene/dance number is Le Tango De Roxanne.

Now that was an emotional song, and a very emotional scene.

mini-rock
09-09-2002, 12:34 AM
Love this movie. Most definitely one of the best,and creative I've seen. I'll have to second Eternal Padawan about Ewans's rendition of "This is your song", and lack of an Oscar nomination. I couldn't believe it.

Truely a wonderful film. The DTS track rocks on this too.

scruffziller
09-09-2002, 07:43 AM
Why is this movie on this movie forum?? Let me start a thread about Fried Green Tamatoes!!! or Steel Magnolias or hey!!! How about we discuss the TV show Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.....

Eternal Padawan
09-09-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Why is this movie on this thread?? Let me start a thread about Fried Green Tamatoes!!! or Steel Magnolias or hey!!! How about we discuss the TV show Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.....

This movie is on this thread because it's a Moulin Rouge thread...so what else would be on it?

I haven't seen FGT in awhile, but I remember it being a pretty good film, too.

ROLLO!

scruffziller
09-09-2002, 09:46 AM
There edited, to eliminate any loopholes for sarcasm.

master jedi
09-09-2002, 01:14 PM
I haven't yet seen the movie, but I have seen Ewan McGregor sing. That was enough to make me NOT want to see it!!! :crazed:

PENDO!
You like his singing and you know it.:rolleyes: ;)

I loved Moulin Rouge. I was suprised Nicole Kidman could sing.

LTBasker
09-09-2002, 06:42 PM
Well so can Britney Spears till you see her mimeing it and realize they reworked her voice in a recording session. ;)

Ewan McGregor - He was pretty good
John Lequizamo - Great as always
Nicole Kidman - Her dying is the greatest part of the film! :evil:
All in all - Once is enough, then you can change the channel and never watch it again. :happy:

2-1B
09-09-2002, 06:53 PM
I love this movie, and wish I would watch it more often. I am in agreement with
mini-rock and Eternal Padawan - Christian's rendition of "Your Song" is certainly
my favorite part of the film. :)

Spectacular Spectacular !

I would also like to point out the brilliance of using Kylie Minogue AND Ozzy Osbourne as the Green Fairy. :happy:

The Overlord Returns
09-10-2002, 04:55 PM

PENDO!

MacGregor's performance, boththe acting and the singing, made this film. His rendition of your song is better than elton johns ever was.

This isn't the first time he's sang either. His portrayal of Iggy Pop in velvet goldmine was the only thing worth watching in that movie as well.

MikeAndTheBots
09-10-2002, 05:45 PM
Bah, I thought it was terrible. And yes, I have pretty much seen it all the way through. I hear people say "oh the movie is just too smart for you" when I understood the concept and all that garbage, I just didn't like it at all. Reworking other people's songs to fit your movie is not my idea of entertainment. And the plot wasn't too great, basic love story which could have been told better. It's funny that I know people who think this movie was life altering. I then rolled my eyes. Ewan had a decent voice and his acting was pretty good (as always) but that was about it. Just not my bag.

Then someone tried explaining to me how it was really an indie movie that was picked up for release through a major studio but it was just that Baz Lerman (SP) had a ton of money so he could do what he wanted. Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

edit: Oh and hearing the verse of "smells like teen spirit" reworked is reason enough why Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic should get control of the Nirvana stuff.

Eternal Padawan
09-12-2002, 01:09 AM
It definitely wasn't for everyone. People I recommended it to either loved it or hated it. I think there's a point in the film where you realize it's a different kind of movie and you can either go "okayyyy..." and just see where it goes. Or you roll your eyes because it's not your typical ANYTHING. If I had bridled at it for even a moment, I think I wouldn't have liked it, so I can see MatBs POV. And once you make that choice, no amount of repeat viewings will make you switch from one category to the other. You will only see what you originally loathed or loved about it.

ROLLO!

scruffziller
09-12-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
It definitely wasn't for everyone. People I recommended it to either loved it or hated it. I think there's a point in the film where you realize it's a different kind of movie and you can either go "okayyyy..." and just see where it goes. Or you roll your eyes because it's not your typical ANYTHING. If I had bridled at it for even a moment, I think I wouldn't have liked it, so I can see MatBs POV. And once you make that choice, no amount of repeat viewings will make you switch from one category to the other. You will only see what you originally loathed or loved about it.

ROLLO!

okay.... my bad:)