PDA

View Full Version : Head sculpts

ThomasLane
10-24-2001, 10:19 AM
Dear Hasbro,

You might want to consider NOT doing a new head sculpt for every figure resculpt. The new Han and Luke head sculpts are just awful compared to the commtech sculpts.

El Chuxter
10-24-2001, 10:42 AM
You mean you don't like Michael Kelso: Death Star Escape? :D

evenflow
10-25-2001, 09:45 AM
Now that was pretty funny. :D :D :D

Lobito
10-25-2001, 03:10 PM
Speaking of head sculpts...which ones are the best in your opinion??

The POTJ Leia (Bespin Escape) would be my winner.:)

GNT
10-26-2001, 05:59 AM
Han Solo is pretty ugly :)

Eternal Padawan
06-17-2002, 10:07 AM
I think there's some whining on the part of the sculpter/designer.
"What?? I don't get to do his head?! Awwwwwwwww...MAN. I wanted to do a Han Solo head sculpt." So then they let him even if his head sculpting skills are subpar. The trouble with this is you get Mace Windu ready to eat a Subway sandwich in one bite. Once you get a decent sculpt down, you should stick with it.

bigbarada
06-17-2002, 11:55 AM
Hasbro should definitely stick with the POTJ DSE Han head sculpt. It is the only one so far that actually looks like Harrison Ford did in 1975. Same with the POTJ Luke X-Wing, best one to date.

Those CTC sculpts were pretty crappy.

Adam
06-17-2002, 12:36 PM
You can't be serious. That Luke figure is horrible..

bigbarada
06-17-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Adam
You can't be serious. That Luke figure is horrible..

Serious as a heart attack. The POTJ X-Wing Luke is, hands down, the best likeness of Mark Hamill as he looked in 1977 thus far. And I'll thank you not to doubt me again.:p

Beast
06-17-2002, 08:45 PM
BigB is correct. Take another look at Luke in ANH, his features were soft, almost feminine, and he did have buck teeth. The figure looks almost exactly like him. Frankly, as I said before, the car accident he was in, was the best thing that ever happened to him. He looked so much much better in Empire Strikes Back. I sense a Lucas conspiracy in that. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
06-17-2002, 09:44 PM
DSE Han was great, but they ruined the figure by making another version of him for the anniversary set - as a result, he was considered the excessive version.

X-Wing Luke was more of a shock than a disappointment, in that it was a bold move, that was negated by a lack of accessories and a sloppy paintjob. If he looked as clean at retail as he did in SSG's archive, I would have purchased him, but I never found one I was satisfied with.

I suppose both Han and Luke will go through changes until a very nice likeness is achived. I personally like the Ceremonial Luke head from the POTF2 line. Han is still being debated on.

The next problem is Leia, because between the hair and the face, there are very few sculpts of her I like. I'm hoping they get it right when they issue a new Bespin Gown version.

bigbarada
06-17-2002, 09:48 PM
Check out this photo of Mark Hamill at the Star Wars "Coming Out" party in 1977. (Star Wars' coming out, not Hamill's;) ) Now tell me that face didn't need to be smashed into a car grille.:D

Beast
06-17-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Check out this photo of Mark Hamill at the Star Wars "Coming Out" party in 1977. (Star Wars' coming out, not Hamill's;) ) Now tell me that face didn't need to be smashed into a car grille.:D
Ahhhh, my eyes!! :eek: Yes, it definatly needed smashed into a car grill. Funny how a car accident can improve someones looks so much. Makes you wonder if anyone has actually told him that to his face. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
06-17-2002, 10:16 PM
So is Lucas going to use Meg Ryan for any ANH-DVD pick-up shots? :crazed:

derek
06-18-2002, 12:11 AM
i've always heard hamil was in a bad car wreck between "hope" and "empire" and he had to have plastic surgery, but i really never noticed the difference. anyone have side by side comparison photos?:)

Jargo
06-18-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Oh he deserved much more than that for wearing a cheesecloth shirt!

I personally think the saga Han Solo is the best likeness so far to harrison and the DSE Han is awful. I much prefer the face on the 25th anni Han Solo but the hair is too short because they used the wrong photo for the sculpt. Using a costume test rather than a fil still or film publicity shot.

Luk ceremonial was a nice face but not mark Hamill. The POTJ x-wing Luke is too thin in the face but mostly fairly accurate. I'd like to see one more Luke Tatooine with a really good scult on the face. Really finely detailed.

Slave Leia deluxe is a good carrie fisher likeness IMO although the bespin escape Leia is probably the best so far. We just need some closure with the ANH Leia sculpts though. One last stab at making a figure of Leia in that costume with tons of detail and a face sculpt that finally pays tribute to carrie and apologises for the monkey faced Leia and all the bad likenesses over the years. That poor woman has suffered bad at the hands of toy companies.