PDA

View Full Version : "General" or "Other"???

derek
09-09-2002, 05:36 PM
what are considered valid subjects to be discussed in the "General Discussion" forum vs. the "Other" area?

what one would consider valid "general" topics, another could consider it "other" material.

say for instance, Vulcantouch, stillakid and myself were going to discuss whether fecal matter smells, or how bad it smells, where would we discuss that? in the "General" area or the "Other" area?:crazed: :confused: ;)

i have a theory that the "other" area is actually the trash compactor of these forums.:)

Darth Vellner
09-09-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by derek
what are considered valid subjects to be discussed in the "General Discussion" forum vs. the "Other" area?

what one would consider valid "general" topics, another could consider it "other" material.

say for instance, Vulcantouch, stillakid and myself were going to discuss whether fecal matter smells, or how bad it smells, where would we discuss that? in the "General" area or the "Other" area?:crazed: :confused: ;)

i have a theory that the "other" area is actually the trash compactor of these forums.:)

I think your "fecal matter" goes in the other area..
you know, "fecal matter" is the "Trash" that the body makes!
so it goes in the "trash compactor of these forums"

Rogue II
09-09-2002, 05:47 PM
The impression I get is anything that can be considered "post padding" (like the Bouka threads and games) gets stuck in the "Other" thread.:)

or something like that.:confused:

I really don't know, I'm making it up as I go.:D

you said "fecal matter":crazed:

2-1B
09-09-2002, 06:01 PM
Shows just how foolish the new section is - we're told post numbers are so "meaningless" and we aren't supposed to care about "counts", but then when something of interest comes up that raises the issue of "post padding", people get flustered about it so the result is a move to the "Other" section.
Yet post counts are meaningless? :rolleyes:
Bouka and powder kegs were restricted with the "2-in-12" rule which made a lot of sense for the sake of order . . . I think it's a mistake to do away with it and dump everything into the "non count" area.

hango fett
09-09-2002, 06:06 PM
post counts are just that...post counts. it can be a major issue if somebody makes it like that, but it can be just a bunch of posts...i just post when i fell like it and if i see something intreguing...
end
h

Dar' Argol
09-09-2002, 06:24 PM
This is what was explaind to me about the "OTHER" area . . . . .

Misc Other is for threads that aren't "about something" and are borderline post-padding threads -- posts don't count on the post-count in Misc Other. The game threads are ALL borderline in that respect since it's not a discussion at all.

General discussion is for actual threads of discussion that are of a general nature, NOT for stuff like "Post a Star Wars Quote". If they don't have a topic of discussion, then they go in Other.

So there you have it, I assume that "fecal matter" would go in the 'OTHER" section then;) :D

LTBasker
09-09-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
So there you have it, I assume that "fecal matter" would go in the 'OTHER" section then;) :D

Unless it's a discussion on fecal matter in that case it could stay in the General Discussion area because it's a General Discussion on fecal matter which would actually get closed because it could turn into something bad.

Darth Vellner
09-09-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker

Unless it's a discussion on fecal matter in that case it could stay in the General Discussion area because it's a General Discussion on fecal matter which would actually get closed because it could turn into something bad.

Remember the south park "S**T" episode. it was very funny.
I loved the number counter on the screen.

Originally posted by LTBasker
With a little switching around:
Unless it's fecal matter on a General's area, it's a discussion which would actually get fecal matter into in that case!
it's a General's turn on fecal matter, because it could stay in the case! :crazed:

derek
09-09-2002, 08:06 PM
thanks for the info.:)

in regards to post counts, i wish everyone's total post count were kept secret, or unknown to the members. if there is to be any ranking at all, i think it should be a combination of time since one registered and posts combined. this way the concept of post padding would be meaningless.:)

oh, and did anyone notify vulcan touch that his name was mentioned in this thread? :crazed:

rynobot
09-09-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by derek
thanks for the info.:)

in regards to post counts, i wish everyone's total post count were kept secret, or unknown to the members. if there is to be any ranking at all, i think it should be a combination of time since one registered and posts combined. this way the concept of post padding would be meaningless.:)

oh, and did anyone notify vulcan touch that his name was mentioned in this thread? :crazed:

I agree, I wish post counts sere not kept. If they were kept then only mods should be able to see them. How many posts someone has is unimportant. I don't know why some people wouldn't let SSG get rid of the concept earlier.

bigbarada
09-10-2002, 01:48 AM
Wouldn't let SSG get rid of the concept? Many of us almost begged to have post counts wiped out when the new forums started and it became clear that the consequence of having our posts tallied would be a bland, boring, stifled message board. In fact, the Cell Block was created for us initial troublemakers (although I don't know whose idea the whole secret thing was).

The guidelines for what goes in Other and what goes in General are pretty vague and almost completely subjective to the mood of the moderator at any given moment.