PDA

View Full Version : AOTC on Imax!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-09-2002, 05:54 PM
On the main page, it said AOTC will be coming to IMAX screens on November 1. Woo hoo! Any word as to how long it'll be playing? Or where it will be playing?

JEDIpartner
09-09-2002, 06:55 PM
Hmmm... we have an IMAX here in Cleveland. Ehhhh... I'll pass. I'll just watch it in the comfort of my own house. I DID see ANH and ESB at a 70mm theatre back in the day!

JediTricks
09-10-2002, 12:39 AM
No word on how long it'll run for. As for where, try your local IMAX theaters! :D Seriously though, they didn't say that either but more details will be coming soon...er or later. ;)

I honestly don't know if this film will be able to pull it off in this large format. I've seen other films transferred to IMAX before and the format betrayed every flaw the moviemaking process had to offer... and that was all shot on high quality standard cinema filmstock - I could see some of the flaws caused by the digital filming Lucasfilm used in my regular theaters (one traditional film projection, one digital projection), how is this going to hold up in a format that takes normal high-quality movies and makes 'em look like crap???

Patient Zero
09-10-2002, 04:02 PM
Has anyone seen this article on CNN.com yet. Check it out.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/10/film.star.wars.reut/index.html

PS. My bad, Pendo. Didn't see it!:(

Pendo
09-10-2002, 04:13 PM
You did know that there was already a thread about AOTC coming to IMAX right here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14344)? Anyway, thanx for the link Jonna :D, I wish I lived by an IMAX cinema.

PENDO!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-11-2002, 04:38 PM
The nearest IMAX is at the Denver Museum of Natural History (I think it's been renamed), and it's a fairly short drive (but not too short!).

JediTricks
09-12-2002, 06:00 PM
I'm not 100% on this, but in LA, the IMAX theater at the public museum did NOT have commercial films play at it, instead some of the commercial films went to the IMAX theater at the Universal Citywalk and some went to the one at the Magic Johnson theater, IIRC. The point is, make double-sure the film is actually there before you head out.

Beast
09-12-2002, 06:05 PM
IMAX sucks when they show movies that aren't filmed for the screen. The IMAX screen is roughly 4:3 size, which is the same as a TV screen. In other words, go and see Star Wars on the big IMAX screen and you end up seeing an inferior Pan and Scan presentation. :p

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94688

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
09-12-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
IMAX sucks when they show movies that aren't filmed for the screen. The IMAX screen is roughly 4:3 size, which is the same as a TV screen. In other words, go and see Star Wars on the big IMAX screen and you end up seeing an inferior Pan and Scan presentation. :p

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94688

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

ahhh it would be interesting to see, I saw an IMAX movie about Tutankhamun's tomb, it was called "Mysteries of Egypt" and when the helicopter went over a waterfall while travelling down the nile, it was like being on a rollercoaster. I felt it in my stomach.
I just think it would be awesome to see the coruscant speeder chase, I'm sure that the audience would definitely be immersed in this scene and they would feel it.

Beast
09-12-2002, 06:37 PM
It would be intresting to see, yes. If the film wasn't hacked off on the edges to fit the screen. I do like the IMAX films that are made for the IMAX screen, I even own one of them on DVD "Bears". But I still hate to see a movie butchered, and people paying so much to see it that way. :cry: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
09-12-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
It would be intresting to see, yes. If the film wasn't hacked off on the edges to fit the screen. I do like the IMAX films that are made for the IMAX screen, I even own one of them on DVD "Bears". But I still hate to see a movie butchered, and people paying so much to see it that way. :cry: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I see what you mean, I used to love fullscreen and hate widescreen because when we had a small tv, widescreen looked really small.
Now that we've got a bigger, wider tv, it's just no contest!
I've got the fullscreen video of the phantom menace and the widescreen dvd and the part that most annoys me about the fullscreen is when Obi Wan walks towards Darth Maul and Darth Maul is walking backwards towards the huge doors in the Theed Hangar.
They're both spinning their lightsabers but on the fullscreen one, you don't even see Obi Wan!!!!!!!! I'm now sold on Widescreen, it's the only way to watch movies!
If you showed people examples like that, they would be turned.. back to the light side :)

mini-rock
09-12-2002, 08:23 PM
I for one do not plan to see AOTC in IMAX. I fully support OAR, and it shames me :( to see my fellow HTF members using the reason of a "bigger screen" to justify watching (and paying to see) a MAR presentation. My .02.

plo koon 200
09-16-2002, 03:19 PM
A source of mine told me that only 1/4 of the Imax screen is used to maintain the full aspect ratio but regardless we do get 23 minutes cut but if it's from that damn scene where Anakin stands on that CGI thing and then goes rolling in the grass with Padme I would be glad to see it.

stillakid
09-16-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by plo koon 200
A source of mine told me that only 1/4 of the Imax screen is used to maintain the full aspect ratio but regardless we do get 23 minutes cut but if it's from that damn scene where Anakin stands on that CGI thing and then goes rolling in the grass with Padme I would be glad to see it.

Maybe they could fill the other 3/4 of the screen with some story and better dialogue. :rolleyes:

Beast
09-16-2002, 07:10 PM
Well, even if they show it in it's proper aspect ratio, butchering 23 minutes out of the film is not acceptable either. So again, I will be not be going to see it, and hope that many others don't as well. :mad: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
09-16-2002, 07:55 PM
In my own happy little world of cinema evaluation :), I've found that the bigger the screen is, the simplier the images on it should be. IMAX has always worked best when the films present large bold imagary, such as the broad landscapes in Tropical Rainforest or the Space Shuttle launching in Blue Planet.

The complex and busy frames that make AOTC a plus in a standard theater become a liability on a larger scale. There is simply too much to look at and our human angle of view just can't take it all in without some serious head panning and tilting. The opening Coruscant sequences alone will be dizzying to the point of distraction.

I like IMAX for what it does best, but using it to present narrative stories in this way is just another in a long line of gimmicks to get people away from their television sets and into the theater.

JediTricks
09-17-2002, 11:58 PM
What's amusing to me about this is that when I first wrote the post in the SSG news about this, I went back and forth on deciding whether or not to mention that most films transferred to IMAX get cut down, but I chose not to simply because I didn't want to put any speculation out there.

Sidiously Darth
09-19-2002, 09:31 PM
I'm here to weigh in on this supposed cutting of 23 minutes of Ep. II. Let's do some math:

Ep. II's Runtime - 1 hour 43 minutes or 103 minutes
Imax Max Capacity - 120 minutes or 2 hours
Time Cut from Ep. II - 23 minutes

Okay everyone, play with those numbers for a while and tell me what doesn't add up or subtract out here.

I don't see a reason for cutting the movie, unless the info I have is incorrect.

Any questions, comments or snide remarks?

Beast
09-19-2002, 09:46 PM
Sidiously Darth, Episode II's runtime is 143 minutes = 2 hours and 23 minutes. So they cut 23 minutes out of the movie, to fit the 120 minute running time for IMAX. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
09-19-2002, 10:57 PM
why does I-max have a 2 hour time limit?

maybe they could cut out the lightsaber fights, since they were so poorly edited to begin with.;)

Beast
09-19-2002, 11:06 PM
The large film platters that the movie runs on, can only hold 2 hours worth of film. These platters are huge, so changing them during a movie is not somthing that is ecconomical, either financially or time wise. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
10-02-2002, 03:08 AM
I don't believe this! I have an IMAX theater within walking distance of my house and it is not playing Ep2.:mad: Even if it is pan&scan and edited down, I still would have liked to see it.:(

Oh well, at least the VHS is coming out a few days later, then I can watch it all I want.:)

Exhaust Port
10-02-2002, 09:57 AM
It's not showing at the Dome-style IMAX theaters, only the IMAX or IMAX 3D screens. Check out their website for additional info and locations of these theaters: www.imax.com

The closest one for those in the Cleveland area (or anyone is Ohio for that matter) is in Columbus.

mini-rock
10-02-2002, 11:02 AM
GEEZ! I can't get that site to pull up what IMAX theaters AOTC is playing at. I bet it WILL be playing at the Pacific Science Center though, Seattle is the P&S capital of the world.:rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-04-2002, 04:52 PM
It doesn't list Star Wars on the search page, will somebody tell me the IMAX screens Star Wars will be playing on in Colorado?

JediTricks
10-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Man, only 33 IMAX theaters are confirmed on board. That is a terrible run so far. There are NONE in California listed yet! http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/imax/theaters.html

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-11-2002, 05:37 PM
Well, that sucks. Colorado better have some! For god's sake, Illinois has three!!!

Pendo
10-12-2002, 06:45 AM
It doesn't look like England are getting it :(. I knew it was a long shot but I still had my hopes up for it :(.

:cry:

I don't think it would be worth me paying to go and see it in America, but if it gets really good reviews I might look into it :rolleyes::).

PENDO!

Bobajames
10-12-2002, 12:56 PM
Wow, i just read this, and i am wondering, IS THERE AN IMAX IN ATLANTA? if anyone knows, i would love to as well... I would go see it so many times!

SirSteve
10-12-2002, 01:09 PM
I didn't see the Orlando IMAX theater listed. :(

r2dee2
10-12-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
It doesn't list Star Wars on the search page, will somebody tell me the IMAX screens Star Wars will be playing on in Colorado?

They will be playing AOTC at the IMAX in Colorado Springs. I already have my tickets for opening day. It's the IMAX on Powers Blvd. Go to the Cinemark page and you can get tickets online as well, with a 75 cents surcharge per ticket.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-12-2002, 06:59 PM
Allright, thanks a ton! :)

SQueek
10-15-2002, 07:58 PM
its playing here in pgh at carnegie, is there any site that has dates/times about this because carnegies doesnt...

Jedi Drew
10-18-2002, 09:15 AM
The whole state of Ohio was skipped over including Cleveland that has an IMAX downtown!!!!!! What's up with this bulls@@t???

SQueek
10-19-2002, 11:19 AM
they keep adding new theatures just keep checking, or call the theature and ask why their f'in around buddy

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/imax/theaters.html

or drive over to pittsburgh and see it with me!

hango fett
10-19-2002, 12:35 PM
well, the air force musem has an imax thearter...but it didn't say that it would have it....ah...i can wait until nov. 12! DVD baby!! ooo! i can't wait to see the deleted scenes and look at each shot of the dooku/yoda battle!
h

SQueek
11-01-2002, 11:27 PM
well first off i have to say wow. but for some questions about it, from what i can tell it was the digital film version because padme and anakin held both fake and real arms, and in the standard film i saw before they only held real hands. They cut 24 mins, well what i noticed for sure they cut the library scene, mace obi and yoda on hover chair talking, and the whole crappy out in the grass love scene. also im pretty sure they cut the piece where me meet lars and beru too. anyways thats all i really noticed. the movie was great though it was lots of fun, they even had some storm troopers and royal guards walking around to complete the atmosphere. its deff worth checking out, well worth your 10 bucks.

JediJeff77
11-02-2002, 12:35 AM
I'll second this!
I saw it this evening in Dallas. LOTS of guys dressed up made for a fun time!
-J

stillakid
11-02-2002, 09:04 AM
Mods, there are like 3 separate threads dealing with IMAX. Can you merge them perhaps? Thanks!

SQueek
11-02-2002, 09:53 AM
yea there were quite a few people in jedi robes, and a really large man in a black rebel pilot uniform. and some twelve year old kid who worked there was dressed up as a jedi telling people if they were dizzy to look down at the floor and stuff

r2dee2
11-02-2002, 01:15 PM
LOVED it as well!!!!!!

IMAX AOTC Viewing PICS (http://www.twinsuntimes.com/toyforce/imaxaotc.htm)

Exhaust Port
11-02-2002, 02:05 PM
I'm jealous. I thought for sure that our states only IMAX theater of this type would be getting AOTC but no such luck. It looks like the opening was a lot of fun.

jedibear
11-02-2002, 10:37 PM
Caught a viewing at the Metreon in SF on friday (the 3:40PM)....
The house was barely half-full, mostly young folks, but a few older jedi like myself present....

WOW......visually & auarally it was magnificent! There were a few moments where blowing up certain shots didn't quite work...a kind of "pixalating-noise" effect that made some shots look rather painterly...that actually fondly reminded me of the obvious-but-wonderful matte paintings in the classic trilogy. But for the most part....simply breath-taking....many moments elicted gasps like when Anakin leaps from the speeder....whizzing down towards the streets below...what once looked like just a fiery mass now teamed with traffic & detail....the first shot of Taun-We's exquisite face & the delicate detailing, right down to the veins under her skin...remarkable! And yes, there should be a new award catagory for animated acting...the amazing balance that Coleman & his team acheive with Yoda while still staying true to Frank Oz's classic performance is fantastic. You could SEE the mind working behind those eyes...the scene where he hears Qui-Gon's voice through the force gave me goosebumps.
I agree with some of the online comments from other fans about the interesting use of close-ups....how Lucas, Burtt et al chose to pull in on the actors in such an oversize format was a wise one. For all those who've been whining these past months about how rotten the acting in this film is, I defy you to keep that opinion after watching the tense exchange between Obi-Wan & Jango...great work by both Ewan & Temura...super subtle but tense. Even young Daniel Logan shines in that scene.
And I'm sorry but I can't visualize ANYONE but Hayden as Anakin now....from his haughty arrogance with Padme in her Coruscant apartment to the stunning shift between greif & anger during Shmi's death, having these scenes so enlarged yet seem more intimate really show what great acting chops this cast has. And Natalie....seeing her wonderous visage so huge really shows what a true graceful beauty she is...like so many of the classic women Hitchcock used from Ingred Bergmen to Grace Kelly...so many times her expression looked caught in sadness...really helping Leia's words about her sad, but beautiful mother ring true.

Am I gushing...hell, yes! What a wonderful gift having this film shown to us in this ultimate format is! From it's overwhelming clean picture to the stunning sound (not just those sonic charges everyone keeps talking about but right from the start with the gut-rattling arrival of the Naboo Cruiser, the sound envelopes you completely....

Now there WAS on small issue I had (that seems to be quite a large on with some of you) and that's the severe editing that had to happen. I won't lie....alot of it is jarring, especially to someone who has seen the film numerous times, but for the most part, it works. Yes, many small character moments are gone...from Jocasta Nu to Queen Jamilla to the introduction of Owen & Beru...and many favorite scenes are either missing (the meadow) or truncated ( I severly missed the "The thought of not being with you....I can't breathe." line from the fireside chat) but the cuts had to happen somewhere to accomedate the format and some of them I'll grudingly admit work better. I liked the shortened Droid factory sequence (especially the shot of Threepio being pushed and falling directly onto the conveyor belt) and the Kamino scenes being grouped together was cool. But maybe it was just me, but the film actually felt a little longer instead of shorter with these changes.
And for those John Williams fans....if the temp-tracking last reels of the original release got under your skin, the chopped, sudden start-stopping & many changed cues of this version will make you squirm. I suggest just sitting back a rolling with it....it's still a treat to hear this great music pumped up so much.

While I would be hesitant to recommend seeing Episode II in this heavily-edited form if they haven't previously viewed it(the romance will REALLY seem rushed), any fan who loves this latest chapter owes it to themselves to see this IMAX cut if for nothing else but the shear spectacle of it. The Coruscant chase, the arena beasts, the ground battle were almost tailor-made for IMAX. Don't sweat the missing scenes...think of this as the last big hurrah before the movie finds it's way to your home screen.....

I give it a hearty raised lightsaber! In fact I enjoyed it so much I'm going again tommorrow night after work!

Exhaust Port
11-03-2002, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Drew
The whole state of Ohio was skipped over including Cleveland that has an IMAX downtown!!!!!! What's up with this bulls@@t???

The only IMAX of the type showing AOTC is in Columbus. The Cleveland and Dayton theaters are the dome theaters, not the flat screen. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Columbus. If that doesn't happen, it looks like a trip to Pittsburg is in order.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2002, 09:38 AM
As with much of SW fandom today, the experience was great, but the product suffered a bit. I went to the Universal City Walk IMAX in the Los Angeles area (in California :p), and there were tons (yes, at lesat 4000 lbs. worth! :p) of in-costume fans, many from the famous Fighting 501st Legion! Even a Honda altered to look kinda like a pod racer. However, no Bantha Tracks #0 available (sigh... :cry: ), the $12 price was steep but expected, and I didn't win any prizes.
I really was disappointed by the scene deletions. They were:
1.Jocasta and Obi-Wan in the Archives
2.Padme, Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Jar-Jar first meet in her apartment
3.The in-the-field picnic
4.Meeting the Queen
5.First meeting Owen and Beru
6.Discussing the Separist Movement in Palaptine's chamber
7.The killer centipedes scene was shortened at the end
8.Anakin's "I used to be good at fixing things" speech
9.Mace, Yoda, and Obi-Wan discussing Anakin's skills
And probably more. Grrr! :frus:

But overall, it was nice to see it and other fans again. It was worth it afterall.

stad
11-04-2002, 12:35 PM
I may be wrong, but I'm quite certain that on Kamino when Obi-Wan and Jango are fighting, Boba fires Slave I's cannons at Obi- this scene was also cut, and probably one of the ones I missed most. I didn't even realize the meadow scene with Anaking riding the beast was missing until I read it here.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-04-2002, 07:19 PM
I remembered two other scenes cut (stad beat me to the first one)...
10.Boba firing Slave-1's cannons on Kamino
11.Palpatine suggesting "some Senator" (JarJar)give him war powers

stillakid
11-04-2002, 09:16 PM
First, I'll say WOW! I didn't think I'd like this as much as I did. I went mainly to get the Bantha Tracks #0.

First, technically, the IMAX format didn't do a whole lot for me. In general, I'm not a fan of slicing off the sides of a movie, but I quickly forgot about that as the better told story unfolded onscreen.

Closeups. Humans good. Yoda, bad. Digital Yoda looked like a bad oil painting in the original and looked even worse on IMAX.

Right off the bat, though, the opening scrawl was hard to ignore. It was practically 3D. I genuinely felt like I could hop onto those words and surf them into space. It was a cool sight.

To the story: as an overview, I found that this cut created a far more focused storyline than the original. With just a few minor cuts in and out of scenes here and there and the wholesale deletion of others, the political "bigger picture" took center stage and the cheesy and forced love story was shoved to status of footnote where it belongs (just as with the growing love of Han and Leia in the OT.) The other, just bad ideas, like C3PO being flung through the air, thankfully hit the floor as well. They added nothing to the story and were more distraction than anything else.

Specifically, first off, the Step-n-Fetchit sequence with Jar Jar answering the door was gone. We move directly from the opening sequence to the meeting on the couch. The only awkwardness about this is that we don't properly see the reunion of Anakin and Padme, but the benefits far outweigh that loss. The original scene is awkward and makes little sense anyway. She somehow recognized him ten years after. I don't know about you, but Jake Lloyd bears no resemblence to Hayden in any way whatsoever. Anyway, that bit is gone and can stay there. We are forced to stay with the political mystery without being distracted by cutesy personal introductions and such.

The story then stays pretty well focused on the politics from there on out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the quick shot of the centipede being sliced in two is gone. A minor point, but again, it illustrates just how a little thing can better focus a story. What that scene is about is Anakin thwarting an assassination attempt. The gratuituous shot of the "assassin" against the wall was unnecessary.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of little cuts, but one that stands out was the intro to Owen and Beru. It worked much better. Now, instead of having one of those infernal "remember those two from the original movies" moment, the scene progresses quicker by jumping right into the explanation about Beru. Great improvement.

The frolic in the grass scene is gone. Half the cheeseball psuedo-Shakespeare ala Dawsons Creek by the fireplace is gone. Again, the love story is in the background, secondary to the political struggle at the forefront, and beyond that, it isn't burdened by being so daggoned cheesy and forced. Their "attraction" to one another is still unmotivated, but at least it plays better without the other stuff. Great improvement!

There are various other cuts that I'll talk about if necessary, but my favorite is the end of the scene between Dooku and Obi Wan. The last line of that scene was cut when Dooku says "Securing your release might prove to be difficult." Why is this a good cut? The look on Dooku's face tells the story. In the original, the scene ends with little doubt for Obi Wan who Dooku is playing for. The new version ends ambiguously for everyone and we really don't know what game Dooku is playing. Great improvement.

There was one cut that I didn't necessarily agree with. The library scene. While it didn't entirely detract from the story by not being there, I think that the setup for the archives is helpful. The movie works without the scene, but I think it could be put back without harm.

If I think of more cuts that I thought helped the story I'll write them down, but those more or less sum up why I personally, in my opinion, think that the IMAX cut is far superior to the original version of Attack of the Clones.

Rogue II
11-05-2002, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the review, stillakid. So nothing was added to the film? It is funny how by cutting it actually made it better.

I found out that the nearest location that it is playing is at the Smitsonian in DC, which for me is about a 20 minute train ride (no big deal). The problem is that it is only playing on Friday and Sat. nights. It would be hard for us to go with the baby, although I'm sure she would enjoy it for a little while.

Since the DVD release is next week, I probably won't go see the IMAX.

AmanaMatt
11-05-2002, 04:39 PM
I went up to Universal and saw EP II on thier Imax last night. Overally, the experience had me grinning ear to ear. The pros far outweigh the cons in this format.

I had a great time, and recommend all fans seeing this, if you can.

JEDIpartner
11-06-2002, 02:08 PM
I know that someone reported the "yes..." Padme uttered was changed to "Uh-huh..." when the Clone Trooper asked if she was okay... but--

Which line did Obi-Wan utter in the arena? Was it the "You take the one on the..." or was it "Just relax and concentrate..."???

Prince Xizor
11-07-2002, 11:03 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but in the Imax version, did it seem like Padme got up slower after falling out of the Gunship than she did in the original release? I know in the first release, I laughed because she got up so quickly, but it seemed liked in the Imax one, she got up slower.

Did anybody else notice this, or am I seeing things?

stillakid
11-07-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
Thanks for the review, stillakid. So nothing was added to the film? It is funny how by cutting it actually made it better.

Nothing new as far as I could tell.

Prince Xizor, now that you mention it, that might have happened, but there's no way to be sure unless we can see those two versions side by side.

One other cut that I remembered late was the Anakin "masturbation" scene otherwise known as the Anakin's having a nightmare scene. That's gone, thank god. It was a bad idea from the start and once you see the sequence without it, you'll see why it just isn't necessary.

I'm telling you, practically every complaint I've read here (or written myself) seems to have been dealt with as best as possible without reshooting. I'd put money on it that somebody "up there" is paying attention to what is said here and elsewhere and is taking it seriously.

Really, if you have the means, I highly recommend seeing this IMAX version.

Like I mentioned before, how can we convince them to take a knife to TPM? ;)

Darth Marra 54
11-07-2002, 10:40 PM
Boy oh Boy was that awsome!!! That was the first time I went to an Imax movie and wow!!!
There were a couple of things shown on the Imax that I didn't catch in the regular showings for example:
During Jango vs. Mace I never realized that Jango actually tried to use his jetpack! I allways knew that his pack was busted, but right before Mace lops his head off Jango tries to fly off. You can see the pack shutter and fire and smoke shoot out from the bottom of the jet pack. Jango even leaves his feet a little. I never knew that happened until I seen the Imax version. I guess the digital version is more clear and it is easier to pick out those little detals.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-24-2002, 11:19 AM
Bloody awesome! I saw it yesterday.
More cuts I noticed:
*Padmé telling Dormé not to be sad, and Obi-Wan telling Anakin not to do anything without permission
*Obi-Wan telling R4-P17 to get Yoda and Mace on hologram
*C-3PO saying stuff like "What does that mean? That means I am in charge here!" and "My obtuse little friend . . ."
*A few pats of the droid factory, like 3PO and Padmé. I think the music was changed a little bit then.
It sucked how much they had to cut out, but it was still great! :)

snakeplkn
11-24-2002, 10:57 PM
Have to agree with stillakid and that Episode II was much better on IMAX from the cuts alone. They could have trimmed out another 10-30 minutes or so. Notice how nearly every scene has to begin with some CGI clutter like a spaceship flying around? I wish they would release an "IMAX cut" DVD but that won't happen.

Snake Plissken
"A little human compassion"

sith_killer_99
02-17-2003, 10:43 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm digging up this old thread.

I just read SW Insider and they mentioned the 23 min. editing job, so out of curriosity I dug up the old thread.

I must say that I am truely sorry that I missed this version of the film. Not froma Pan&Scam point of view, but from a storyline point of view.

I would have loved to have seen this movie without the cheese acting of Nat and what's-his-name.

Yet another opportunity lost.:cry:

For those who did see the film at the IMAX, was the story any better? Did the film flow any better?

stillakid
02-17-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
For those who did see the film at the IMAX, was the story any better? Did the film flow any better?

Immensely better. I even received the AOTC DVD for Xmas, but haven't watched it because I know how much better the film is with the IMAX cuts. My last "taste" of AOTC was the IMAX version and I'd like that memory to linger for a while longer.

r2dee2
02-17-2003, 12:14 PM
UPDATED (http://r2toyforce.net/imaxaotc.htm) link to the IMAX pics I took and someone mentioned the Bantha Tracks give-away, so HERE are the pics of the #0 Bantha Tracks (http://r2toyforce.net/banthatracks.htm) if you didn't get this.

JediTricks
03-28-2003, 07:34 PM
Well, I *finally* caught Ep 2 Imax last night. I went on Wednesday but they had sold the show out to a company 3 weeks prior and forgot to tell 777-FILM and the Enjoy the Show website linked to from sw.com, so I was miffed at that. Luckily, they gave me my $8 parking back for Wed. Last night was supposed to be the final showing, and there were less than a dozen people in the audience - kinda sad really.

The opening "Star Wars" logo and crawl looked amazing on the Imax screen, I did notice the sides being cropped off a bit but it wasn't too jarring for me. Once the movie started, I found myself noticing some of the digital problems like pixelated edges and CG-backgrounds that looked very much like a photo backdrop rather than a living part of the scene. None of it was really awful, but coupled with the fact that this wasn't filmed for Imax so it didn't have enough frames per second or image depth, and I just felt like the Imax wasn't being used to its full potential.

Yoda in closeup sometimes looked good and sometimes looked like he wasn't fully realized. Some of the digital tricks to hide harnesses and stuff were very noticeable in the format as well. And if I never see a shot of someone's skin that close up again, it'll be too soon. :D Most of the stuff cut from the sides didn't feel like a major loss to me, and in some instances actually helped the amount of background stuff that remained become more atmosphere than clutter.

The editing felt brilliant in almost every circumstance except 2 - in the fireplace scene, the editing was too choppy and felt more like a shouting match in a badly-directed episode of Law & Order; and the scene with Jar Jar being manipulated into giving Palpatine ultimate power was a real loss not because it's a great scene (I think it's too heavy-handed on Palpatine's and Mas Amedda's part), but because it is important to the overall political plot which makes it vital IMO. The quickened pace for this Imax presentation really does speak volumes to me in terms of how much extraneous stuff there is in the original version.

However, the new edit doesn't fully salvage the film for me, I still feel that the directing doesn't hold up (thus making the acting look bad) and that Lucas is relying far too much on close-ups and reaction shots these days. There are far too many scenes intercut with just someone's face, by the end I couldn't stand to see Natalie Portman's scar between her eyebrows as she basically didn't react to anything. Also, the overuse of CG backdrops doesn't suit the less-forgiving Imax format, but at least everything seems pretty.

Finally, let me add this one thing - the Imax theater I went to had a very nice sound system, I've seen Ep 2 both film and digital in some of Los Angeles's great venues, but the Imax sound system really is clearer and brings about a lot more balance to the highs and lows - maybe that's a result of the LFL edit for Imax, I dunno, but the DVD doesn't sound this good.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-30-2003, 11:58 AM
For the people who don't like the love scenes, just skip right over them while watching the DVD. That's another great thing about the Star Wars DVDs, there are 50 chapters, and each scene has its own (so there's no Kamino and Naboo in the same chapter).