PDA

View Full Version : Where were you/ what were you doing when 9/11 happened?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
09-09-2002, 08:08 PM
Just a day or two until the anneversary of the attacks on 9/11, I'm curious to know where were you/what you were doing when the tragedy happned.

I was in History class (of all clases) when a majority of the attacks happened. I saw both towers collapse and the news of the other two plane crashes live on TV. The Pentagon attack hits close to home, since I go to school in Arlington, Va. A ton of the students' parents work at the Pentgon. You could just imagine the disarray during the whole day throughout the school.

JEDIpartner
09-09-2002, 08:13 PM
I was at work and one of my co-workers said, "A plane hit the WTC!". I logged onto the net and saw a pic of the hole in the building. I told everyone in the building and said the hit looked intentional due to its placement. I remembered a similar dream I had and I said, "Its not over yet." I was upset that I was right.

hango fett
09-09-2002, 08:15 PM
i was at school in study hall when one of the office aides came in the room and told our teacher a plane has vrashed into the trade center. so he turned it to CNN. let's just say the rest of the schoolday was nothing but that...in fact, then next 2-3 days was nothing but that.
h

Lord Malakite
09-09-2002, 08:20 PM
I was on my way to economics. I didn't find out until after class and I returned to my dorm.

LTBasker
09-09-2002, 08:29 PM
I was on the computer and my sister called my aunt who told me about the first plane and we started watching just before the second plane hit.

Jargo
09-09-2002, 08:39 PM
I was in our car and on my way to the bank. i heard it on the radio. Just a few moments after the first plane struck. I thought it was a radio hoax at first then i just started to think about the lives lost on the plane never thinking so many would already be at work in the towers at that time. By the time I got home the pictures had started to come in on the tv news and i just watched the whole thing unfold for the rest of the day. Cold and numb. In a way I reckon i went into some kind of shock. I didn't really feel anything to be honest. it was only when they started to rattle of real facts and figures a couple of days later that it hit home and everything went west in my head. But it's only now approaching the day that I realise the enormity of what happened. only now that I relise just what it was I watched happen that day. it's only now one year on that i can fully appreciate what was lost. :cry: I sat down yesterday and went to the HBo site set up to host the programme that Mayor Giuliane(sp? sorry) had made in memorium. It has a screen that just shows the names of everyone we lost - we being the world - and I just couldn't move, I read every single name that scrolled up on the screen. Seeing it makes it all seem more real as if it could be anything else, but it's been some abstract imagery up til now for me, something that happened elsewhere and was sort of existing in dreamtime. I guess i just woke up.

derek
09-09-2002, 08:56 PM
i was very, very late for work, walked by the TV as i was leaving the house, and saw the 2nd plane hit and just sat there watching the TV coverage the rest of the day.:cry:

DeadEye
09-09-2002, 09:12 PM
I was at school, in drafting. One of the guys cheered when the first tower fell. :rolleyes:
My dad was teaching tactics at the CGSC when some other soldier just barged in and said, "Sir! A plane just flew into the Trade Center!"

Rogue II
09-09-2002, 09:22 PM
I was deployed to Kuwait (about 40 miles from Iraq). It was 5pm there, we were getting ready to call it a day. I was in a meeting with my boss when someone came down the hall and told us about the plane.

Later that evening they told us attacks were expected in the theater (SW Asia). Of course, none ever happened, thankfully.

A few days later, Sept 17th to be exact, I found out that I had orders to the Pentagon after I returned from the Desert.

I've been at the Pentagon since Feb. I've heard some of the stories of where people were and what went on afterwards. Its scary.

If any of you were watching Good Morning America this morning, I was in the crowd and saw Alan Jackson sing to day at the Pentagon.

hango fett
09-09-2002, 09:34 PM
i just have this really bad feeling we haven't seen the last of it. i just have a terrible feeling it will happen again on this spetember 11th. but hope for the best. prepare for the worst....
:(
h

DeadEye
09-09-2002, 10:12 PM
I think something's going to happen on Wednesday. And if it days, maybe American will finally get off its butt and invade Iraq! :D
[EDITED] :rolleyes:

Mod Note:Edited the slander. Regardless of the intent, it does not belong here!
DA

MikeAndTheBots
09-09-2002, 10:22 PM
I was at home, I wasn't feeling well when I got up for school so my parents let me stay home. I wake up and check to see if anyone called and I get a message from my grandma asking if John was working that today (my uncle who's on the FDNY, luckily for some reason or another he took off that day) and she sounded concerned. I walked downstairs to see what was happening and of course I logged online to see what was going on. I turn on the TV and just to see the first tower come crumbling down and a matter of minutes later I watched in horror as people ran through the streets escaping the massive cloud radiating from where the second tower once stood. My dad was in Maryland for some convention thing and the campus he was on (he's not in school, the convention was at a campus though) was forced to evacuate since that's where they were moving the pentagon temperarily. My mom (works in a hospitol) came home a couple hours late since they transfered a lot of victims to her hospital. My dad somehow gets home by 7:30 (its like a 9 hour drive or something from maryland back to jersey) and we just sort of watched and what not.

jobi
09-09-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye

[EDITED] :rolleyes:

Nice racist comment.

DeadEye
09-09-2002, 10:27 PM
For crying out loud!
They're terrorists, and are our enemy!
Dehumanization of the enemy is always one of the first things you do in a war. We immediately adopted a racist policy towards our enemies in all of our wars, and terrorists are worse than any of our previous enemies.

Beast
09-09-2002, 10:35 PM
DeadEye, that was an ignorent racist comment, and you have lost the last little bit of respect that I ever had for you. Just because someone is of that race, religion, or from that country doesn't automatically make them a terrorist. Another reason you shouldn't be in the military, you should get some damn help. Stop the hating, because it doesn't help matters. Going by your train of thought, anyone from Germany is a Nazi. :mad: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jobi
09-09-2002, 10:36 PM
Im not going to debate anything with you because you're a freaking know-it-all. But first not every person over there is a terrorist. Have you ever been to SW Asia?? No didn't think so. Second I'm in the military little boy so Idon't NEED you to tell me a damn thing about it. We don't dehumanize the enemy by calling them names. I work with someone from the Middle East and they are also in the military. But I Bet you know all about it from what daddy told you and you read in books... You are a child and you make that abundently clear with your childish little comments about what you "know" to be fact. I've not jumped on the Deadeye bashing spree because I didn't think it was wise, BUT everytime somebody posts ANYTHING on this forum you "know" everything about it or have had a family member that was there. Geez grow up.

Dar' Argol
09-09-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
For crying out loud!
They're terrorists, and are our enemy!
Dehumanization of the enemy is always one of the first things you do in a war. We immediately adopted a racist policy towards our enemies in all of our wars, and terrorists are worse than any of our previous enemies.

And ppl wonder how ppl can hate the US:rolleyes:.

This is NOT the millitary DeadEye. WE, the SSG community are not at war. And the last time I checked, neither were you. Your in the JROTC right??? That means that you are not over there, you are right here in the states with the rest of us and here, in our online community, racial slurs are not needed, EVER! So your comments have been edited. You have a problem with it, talk to me directly.

Lord Malakite
09-09-2002, 10:42 PM
Alright, enough bickering and racists remarks. :o Lets stay on topic.

DeadEye
09-09-2002, 10:43 PM
I'm sorry. For one thing, I forgot that this isn't an all-American board. Really. :stupid:
The Americans, however, are at war with terrorism. And I sure as shizzle didn't ever say that all Germans were Nazis. Besides, we aren't at war with them now anyway. :rolleyes:

2-1B
09-09-2002, 10:50 PM
Why in god's name do I have to follow this post? :mad:

I was sleeping last year when it happened, because I didn't have to work until the afternoon. My mom called and left a message that there was a terrorist attack and that it was very scary.
I groggily got up, not really knowing what to expect, turned on the TV and saw the horrors unfolding. :cry:

Beast
09-09-2002, 10:50 PM
Even if it was an all-american board, you know damn well that anyone unless they are from Native American decent doesn't have actual ties to this country in actuality.. America is the great melting pot and we have people from many many countires that make us what they are.

Everyone is at war with terrorism, not just America. But that doesn't give us a right to throw around racist slurs about a people. I agree with Dar' Argol, this is one of the reasons that other countries do get mad with America, our superior attitude in comparison to everyone else. I love this country, but I think that we do need to respect other countries as well. :)

We may not be at war with Germany, but even when we were, it wasn't every German that lived there. It was a certain faction that was in power. Making racists comments about people of a different ethnic group then you, no matter what the situation is wrong. Again, don't bring your hate here. :mad: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-09-2002, 10:57 PM
I was sleeping of all things.

I had a Child Psychology class that started at 1:00 pm that Tuesday. I remember it was my last day to sleep in because for the rest of the year, the following Tuesday and Thursday mornings would be days that I was to begin my internship.

My mother woke me from bed and said that terrorists had flown a plane into the Trade Center. I was acutally a little peeved from the fact that she woke me up that early because I had an hour of sleep to go. I had no idea of the magnitude of the attack at that time. I thought it would be just a commuter plane of all things and that it would cause relatively minor damage. Little did I know the true scope of the tragedy and the fact that two commerical airliners had slammed into the buildings.

I watched the towers collapse live and then I heard the news about the Pentagon and the plane that crashed in PA. I was nearly sick from all the news. Sick from the fact that terrorists had managed to rather easily infiltrate our country, security and intelligence and nearly bring us to our knees. In addition there were reports that there were reports (false) that a plane hit Camp David and a bomb went off near the State Department headquarters. Couple those with what already happened in NY and Wash DC, it just made me sick to my stomach. Who can forget the footage of the people hanging out of the buildings and eventually jumping to their deaths rather than face a fiery inferno? I just didn't want to watch any more, I was so horrified.

And as far as dehumanizing people and branding them 'labels,' I think that is one reason why we go to war. We see our enemies as lesser than us, as inferior, as undeserving to live. Of course we make the big mistake to include all groups of people in that lumping and not the select few who are actually the evil culprits.

Let us not make that mistake.

Dar' Argol
09-09-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
Alright, enough bickering and racists remarks. :o Lets stay on topic.

Agreed Lord_Malakite;)

I was at work listiening to the radio. I was working on putting a grill together and I was also training my new hire in Bike Assmebly. He wnet on break and the song I was listiening to cut off in the middle. The DJ came on and said something to the effect that a terrible accident happened, a plane crashed into the WTC. I was shocked! Then a few minutes later another song cut off and the DJ came back on and said another plane crashed into the second tower. I dropped my drill on the floor. I could not believe it. Then he said that it was coming down throught the Associated Press that this was a planned attack. I immedatly stopped what I was doing and went to find my wife. We work in the same store. When she heard she was grief strickened and very, very worried. She kept saying something to the effect that how could she be so selfish about bringing someone into this world like this. My daughter was not even a year old at this time.

I forget when but sometime after that the WM TV's switched from the in store advertising to live coverage on CNN. Most of the rest of the day, all the employees and customers could be found around one of these TV's. Not much work got done that day.

For about the next week or so, I did nothing but watch CNN and any other news coverage that was going on. Finnally I had enough, I was overstimulated and I could not take it any more. I shut the TV off for the next week. It was too much.

Even now, with the, I can't call it an anniversery, there is nothing to celebrate about that day. Even with the date approching, I cannot stand all of the media attention on this event. I can understand the day of, but to start about a month before!?!? Sometimes I really hate the media!

jobi
09-09-2002, 11:08 PM
Deadeye, your ignorance is astounding.

OK, first off you don't know half of anything when it comes to the military.

Now with your comment you didn't say let's go bomb terrorists you made a racist statement of people of middle eastern decent.

You try and make it OK by saying we're at war, that's no excuse.

There is a lot more to war then you see on the T.V. and at the movies. You have no clue about life much less about death and what leads up to it. I hope you don't get into the military until you grow up a lot. Not because I don't want your dreams to come true but because I don't want you infecting "my military" with your racist, childish point of view.

thespar
09-09-2002, 11:09 PM
back on topic when i first heard about on the radio to work me and my dad though it was just a small plane the when we got to work and heard that is one of the big ones. the heard the 2nd when i was making a run to the bank to make a deposit. then i was picking my kid sister form her college class when the tower fell

darthvyn
09-09-2002, 11:25 PM
ceaser and LBC, i have relatively the same story... i was sleeping, because i was working the afternoon shift at my job at the time, and my mom called from work, waking me up, and telling me that "the world just went insane..."

living in NY, i had only one channel to watch, and watched that for hours... all the while wondering if my father had been on the 90 something floor of tower 1, the second to fall... with all sorts of communications down, i tried his cell phone, with error messages and such...

i went to work... not that i worked very much that day (or any day really, but that's another story...) after work, i finally heard from my dad - he had been late to work, and got there after the first tower had fallen and they weren't letting anyone near the site - thus he joined the mass migration over whatever bridge was closest with thousands of other people...

most of his co-workers were killed... some survived by being late as well, or some other miracle. he had a lot of anxiety and survivor guilt for a while after. when they re-opened the big movie theater in that area, he and his surviving co-workers went to see (i don't remember what, but it doesn't really matter...) as a kind of return to normalcy ritual.

rynobot
09-09-2002, 11:27 PM
I was in my History class the whole time. We were in the Libirary and had logged on to Yahoo. I read on the news on the right side of the page that a plane hit the building. I had no idea it was a big jet, I assumed it was a small two man plane. I logged of the computer and some girl said that the world trade center was hit. People were going crazy not knowing what they were doing. Some one turned on the TV and we watched coverage on MSNBC. During my next class all we did was watch the news coverage.

notafinga
09-10-2002, 12:18 AM
Similarly to some other folks, I was sleeping, late for work.

My girlfriend called and told me that someone "bombed" the World Trade Center, destroying it, and another "bomb" hit the Pentagon.

In complete disbelief, I flipped on the TV, and was horrified to discover that the attack was real.

JediTricks
09-10-2002, 12:32 AM
As for the flame-war crap:

If I see any more of this off-topic crap on here, the author is getting suspended until/if SirSteve decides to end that suspension AND the author runs the risk of having some or all of their posts purged from the forums. You are responsible for your own words and actions here on the forums just as you should be in real life - there are no adequate excuses for any forum user making a mess of our forums - we forumites come here to have fun by discussing various things, not to watch you bicker and fight like snotty little brats who blame others for your actions.

If you have a problem with another member's comments and cannot simply ignore them, click the "Report Post" link and tell a mod, don't waste everybody else's time with flame wars and such.

----

As for the racism issue:

On these boards, racist slurs are completely inappropriate and definitely fall under the category of "hateful". This sort of this is why we ask all members to read and agree to the following when they sign up: "you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

This sort of speech is not acceptable and absolutely not welcome here on SSG, there is never any excuse for it. This sort of behavior will definitely get a forum user into trouble with the admin - suspension or even banning are likely outcomes depending on a multitude of factors. Consider this a warning on behalf of the entire SSG forum staff, there is very little tolerance for racism on these forums.

JediTricks
09-10-2002, 12:44 AM
As for what I was doing, I had just sat down to watch the early morning news before I went to sleep and they were showing the live footage from where the first plane had hit and the newscasters were speculating on whether this was on purpose or not when a 2nd plane came into the live camera's view and a second later hit the other tower. I jumped on the computer, told SirSteve who didn't know about it, and he started this thread:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=804

I remember reporting some of this stuff the best I could to forumites who didn't have a TV on and didn't know. CNN.com and the other news websites were totally bogged down with traffic and weren't answering, so it was up to the few forumites who were around at that time to keep everybody else informed as best they could. I remember discussing with Steve very important issues like how we were going to try to contain hate-speech backlash, and then when he went offline I felt compelled to try to keep the panic that was ensuing to a bare minimum. People were freaking out saying that 100,000 were dead and such and this was the start of something bigger and I tried to do the best I could to keep the terror from spreading here on the board.

I had a hard time getting any sleep that day.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10116
Here is a thread I made 3 months ago with links to OTHER threads about the attacks. I think these all give good insight to how we felt through these strange times.

bigbarada
09-10-2002, 01:29 AM
First off, I can speak from experience here that it is much more relaxing to browse the forums with DeadEye on your ignore list. I recommend it to everyone.

Okay, down to business:

That morning, I was finished with PT (Physical Training) at 5:00 AM and took a nap before having to go work at 8:30 AM. I woke up at around 8:25 (10:25 Eastern Time) and was out of my door on the way to work (late) by 8:45. Immediately after walking out of the barracks (I lived on the military post back then) I noticed something strange. People were running, cars were blowing through stoplights without care, an MP patrol car was blazing through the parking lot at like 70 mph and intercoms were going off in the motor pool across the street. In my groggy state of mind, I simply registered it all as "a little strange" and kept on walking to work. About halfway there, a soldier I had never even met before pulled over on the side of the road and told me everything that had happened, even letting me listen to his radio to confirm it.

I couldn't believe it until I went to the Instructor's Lounge where I worked (I worked in a training building) and saw the replayed footage of the towers collapsing. That's when it hit. Soon people were instructed to move all their cars out of the motor pool and park them in the parking lot, and a formation was called to explain the situation to all the Initial Entry Recruits who went to class in that building. I felt sorry for them more than anything, you could just see the lost, fearful expressions on their faces. Most of them joined for college money and were suddenly faced with this. Of course, there was the false "let's go kill all them blank-blankity blank blanks!" bravado, but fortunately that ignorance soon passed when they were taken upstairs to watch the news broadcasts. When the footage of the towers falling was replayed again, you could hear a collective gasp from the entire group. Anybody with family who might have been affected was given a free phone call home on a secure line (we were ordered to not use cell phones, unsecure telephones, e-mail or the internet until further notice).

That entire day we sat locked in our motor pool with HUMMWV trucks blocking the entrances to prevent car bombs from barrelling their way in. When we were finally released, I saw that several people had actually put their privately owned vehicles into position blocking entrance into the barracks to protect the building and the third shift people sleeping inside.

Things were crazy for weeks after that, especially for those of us in the military because we didn't know when or if some of us might deploy (in a training unit, the unit never deploys as a whole, but individuals can be pulled from the unit to fill shortages in deploying units).

Around Christmas-time last year, I was housesitting for my brother while on leave and watching MSNBC news and there was a story about finding the remains of another body in the collapse, the news showed all the firemen and workers lined up in two columns with their hats in their hands as the body was carried on a litter, draped in the American flag, between the columns with an anthem (one I wasn't familiar with) being played in the background. The news broadcast stopped and focused on this for almost twenty minutes and I just stood in the living room of my brother's house with tears in my eyes. For that level of respect to be paid to the unidentified, incomplete remains of a person was moving beyond words.

plasticfetish
09-10-2002, 02:53 AM
I was in my car at about 6:15am (9:15am est) that morning and hit the big freeways for my commute from one end of the Los Angeles basin to the other. After a short while I turned on the radio ... NPR ... and they were talking about the towers. No one seemed to understand exactly what had happened ... the story was frantic and confused. I remember being stuck on the freeways for an hour. I remember looking around at the other commuters faces to see if they knew anything, to see their reactions.

I arrived at work. At that time, I was working at a small TV studio filled with monitors. I walked through the door to see the news footage on one screen and then another, etc. Other people wandered in from having been stuck on the freeways ... found their way to a spot near a television ... we all watched together.

All of the big Film and Television studios in LA closed down, but it was decided that we would go ahead and tape our shows ... and then go home. I remember spending the day in a television studio, watching the saddest thing I have ever seen over and over again on the monitors. I remember thinking that making a television show while there are so many frightened and injured people somewhere else is stupid. I remember wondering if my father was in New York on business ... he wasn't, but my uncle was ... and was safe. I remembered the first time I had ever been to Manhattan, had seen all of those huge buildings and had been awed by the fact that there could be so much life in one small place.

My drive home on the freeways was slow and tense ... I looked at every building on my way home ... I looked at every person in every car beside me. Sometimes, other people actually made eye contact with me (unheard of in this town.) I looked up at the sky a few times. I called my wife and told her to stay indoors with our son until I got home.

Big Chewie
09-10-2002, 05:07 AM
I was just about to leave for work when my father called to tell me about the fisrt plane. I quickly turned on the TV just in time to see the second one hit. I just sat there watching, not believing what I was seeing. Just as the plane hit the pentagon I picked up the phone and called my family here in DC to see if they were all right,but couldnt get through. I called my work and said I wouldnt be in. The rest of the day was spent trying to get in touch with family and watching the reports on TV.
4 days later I was in a Penske truck with everything I own packed in from my apartment and my car on a trailer on my way up to DC from Dallas to help with what I could and be there for my family.

Big Chewie

scruffziller
09-10-2002, 08:16 AM
I was working at Wal Mart and they had announced the news at the "morning meeting" but didn't hear about it till later when someone told me about it, because they went to the meeting and I didn't. Then later on they started showing what had happened on the TVs throughout the store.

gibbspaulus
09-10-2002, 10:37 AM
I was off work with flu. It was 2pm over here and a I saw a headline on a webpage saying 'light plane hits WTC'. I went downstairs and put on CNN only to see the second plane hit. It was the most horrifying thing I have ever seen - all that and death destruction in real time.

MY sister-in-law is in DC and we couldn't contact her for hours, same as everyone else.

I am really angry at the 'state funeral' stuff going on. Why can't tomorrow pass with quiet dignity? I applaud the families who have asked for the media hype to be cut back so that they can get on with their grieving.

floppy hat jon
09-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I remember reporting some of this stuff the best I could to forumites who didn't have a TV on and didn't know. CNN.com and the other news websites were totally bogged down with traffic and weren't answering, so it was up to the few forumites who were around at that time to keep everybody else informed as best they could.

JT, we were just discussing, over at Rebelscum, your thread from a year ago over at the now defunct Collectstarwars.com. I, like many people, was at work without a television, and was completely unable to access any news websites because of all the traffic. That thread, along with a similar one here at SSG, provided much of my early information about what had happened. Information was gathered from very strange sources in those first few hours. The thread started with people providing information about what was happening, talking about their sympathy for the people involved, but quickly deteriortated into people talking about "nuking the middle east". Very similar to this thread, and many threads discussing geopolitics and war. What a sad state of affairs the world is in right now.

For what it's worth, a few people, myself included, noted how they miss your posts over at the other site. Hope all is well with you.

Jedi Drew
09-10-2002, 11:20 AM
I was just getting ready for work putting on my tie, making sure the coffee was ready since the day before was my birthday and was moving a little SLOW.... Then on the news they showed that a plane crashed into one of the Trade Center Towers. I really didn't think much about it---Yea just a small plane--No big deal. By the time I got to my first account (I was in sales) the other plane hit and that's when all hell broke loose. My wife called me on my cell and was on her was to Akron and seen four jet fighters fly over I-77. I asked "What kind of jets, F-15's, F-18's??" She said all that she could tell was that they were military jets. I hung up with her and tried to do my job but then about 45mins. after I talked to her I was on I-271 and seen (what looked like to be) four Black Hawks fly over the highway heading towards Cleveland. I was listening on the radio the whole time thru-out the day so I knew what was going. When I got back to the office later that day myself and the rest of the salesmen just watched CNN-It seemed like for hours. We couldn't believe what happened. I'll never forget that day, along with the rest of you. God Bless America....Jedi Drew.

Vortex
09-10-2002, 11:23 AM
It was the 1st day of my vacation and I was getting ready to go walk the dog when the guys on the radio said a plane hit the WTC.

I turned on the TV and watched the whole mess unfold, then later that day I tried to call my parents in Iceland to inform them of what happened since I was heading to meet them for 2 weeks.

I never made it over there that year with all the backlog of flights.

Exhaust Port
09-10-2002, 12:18 PM
I was sleeping in on a day off before I left in a few days for training. My girlfriend had gotten up early as usual and was eating breakfast in front of the TV. The initial reports of a small jet hitting one of the Twin Towers broke. Being that a lot of our friends fly "small" jets in the NY area she thought of waking me but decided to let me sleep in until more information became available (ie which airline). The first thing I heard in the morning was a loud scream from the other room as she watched the second jet hit. She quickly ran in and got me and tried to tell me everything that happened. After watching the replay I quickly realized that those were not small jets but something much larger. I was also scared/saddened knowing that the only way this happened was by the flight crews of those planes being killed. For me some of the most horrific events that day took place in those aircraft before they made the news.

Several hours after waking we heard several jets flying outside from West to East. I didn't see them as they quickly passed but I knew they weren't civilian. Talking to a friend in the FAA later we learned that these were F-16's scrambled out of Toledo, OH attempting to intercept Flight 93.

I feel fortunate that I was able to contact all my friends and family that day and learn that they were safe. As the day unfolded I knew that the world as we Americans saw it would never be the same. I also knew that the airline industry would be forever changed and regulated by those events that day. What will become of that is still unclear.

It still chilling to fly over Manhatten with it's reduced skyline or to the Washington-National airport and pass the Pentagon. Of course I will never forget my parents anniversary day again.

Pendo
09-10-2002, 12:28 PM
I was at work. I had just made my way back up to the office after having a late lunch and the radio was playing in the lift. It was announced on the radio and I couldn't believe my ears, I went to the next floor and stole one of the TVs out of the Confrence room and set it up in my office. I never did any work that day (well I don't any day but I had a good excuse that day).

I can remember EVERYTHING that happened that day, it is burned to the back of my brain.

PENDO!

Rogue II
09-10-2002, 12:57 PM
I forgot to mention this in my earlier post:

The base I was at in Kuwait was a small base we shared with the British and the Kuwaitis. The Kuwaitis, the British, and even our contractors(who were from all over the middle east) were very supportive of us and offered condolences.

El Chuxter
09-10-2002, 01:20 PM
I left the house around 7:20 PST, as usual, and got to work right at 8. As I don't watch TV in the mornings and hardly ever listen to the radio, I didn't find out until I got to work.

Oddly enough, I'll never forget that on that morning I was in an odd mood and listened to Frank Zappa's "Trouble Everyday" (a song about riots in Watts some 30 years ago, decrying violence and destruction as well as media sensationalism) several times on the way to work.

The Overlord Returns
09-10-2002, 01:51 PM
I was not working at the time of sept 11. I had taken a severance package that led me to a several month vacation. I had also split from my wife at the time....so I was out....drinking.....carousing ...alot....

I came home from a night out at around 6: 30 am the morning of sept 11. I went to sleep, not intending to wake up for many, many hours. Strangely, I jolted awake within a few hours...and was not tired at all.....

I went out and turned on the news as I lit a cigarette.........and the first plane had just hit....the first reports were just coming in......

the cigarette dropped from my jaw and the rest is history.......

funnily enough.......I spent the night with friends talking about the threat of muslim extremist terrorism in a post clinton usa....

187-Maul
09-10-2002, 01:58 PM
I was at home on the net (was about 15:15) when my mom suddenly told and said there was a plane-crash in the WTC
I came downstairs and watched what happened on cnn and thought that that couldn't have been an accident
guess I was right, so I sat there the hole afternoon watching the second plane hit the tower and the two towers collapsing etc.

surprisingly, next day at school it seemed like nobody really cared for what happened and was like "something happened...ok...hm...let's do something else, this is getting boring"

InsaneJediGirl
09-10-2002, 03:01 PM
I was at home,just finished my chores and was getting ready to start a new online class that day.Bloomberg goes of at 9,so like everyday I turned on CNNHeadline News.Thats when I saw that a plane hit Tower 1,so I changed over to CNN a short while later and saw the second plane hit.

So,after that,I jumped on the net before it could get majorly clogged with people and e-mailed everyone from my RPG Group
to make sure they were ok.Since many I know live in PA.Then,mom called to make sure we were okay,and the rest of the day I waited to hear back from my friends while watching TV.Really nerve racking since some couldnt get online until a few days later.:( Luckly none of my relatives were on business in the Northeast that day.

jedi_uk73
09-10-2002, 04:21 PM
As I live in the UK, it was about 1:30 / 2:00pm BST. I was at work, doing the usual hard graft, when a delivery driver came in and said that a plane had crashed in NY into the WTC. I was with a colleague at the time, and we were both a bit stunned, but we both thought, that it was just 'another' plane crash.

That was all I heard until I got home at 5:00pm BST that the shock really hit, seeing it all over the TV, and finding out that BOTH towers, the Pentagon had been hit, and a 4th plane had crashed into a field.

Then came the bit that hit me most, seeing the WTC towers collapse, geeez. Although this happened some hours earlier, this was the first time I knew about it and seen it. I couldn't believe that something like this had happened, it just looked like some movie.

It was all across the news for the rest of the day and into the evening, and more and more reports came in. Seeing more horrific pics of the planes hitting the towers from multiple angles, the people that had only just escaped etc etc.

The events of 9/11/01 will never be forgotten, I hope that we can all, especially friends and families of the unfortunate victims, get all the support they ever need over the coming years.

JediTricks
09-10-2002, 04:24 PM
FHJ, I had almost forgotten about that thread. If my memory serves me, I was doing both threads at once, basically hopping from window to window in my browser trying my best to inform and just talk with people about it because I knew that if we all kept it bottled up, that was going to make things much worse for each of us as a community in the global sense. After a while, I felt like there was too much sourness to that BHC thread and couldn't take it any more - I guess I felt and still feel that if we turn into these bickering hatemongers, the terrorists really do win and I can't stand to let something like that happen. That's where the big separation came in for me, over here I had mod powers and could merge and edit posts that were created out of panic and terror and starting hate-talk, but over there I wasn't a mod of MISC so I could only sit back and watch as panic seemed to win the day.

I miss chatting with some of ye olde BHCers, I didn't know what to make of the site going to RS only a week or 2 after I resigned (IIRC) and I guess that sorta kept me off-balance too long until my account was deleted. I hope you guys are having fun over there, and hopefully I'm not missed too much. :D ;)

Dark Knight
09-10-2002, 05:16 PM
I was alone in the house doing my latin american history homework for class that night. My brother that in the navy called from portland( does not call often). He told me to turn on the TV. I was in complete shock. He told me he did know if he was shipping out or not. Just pray. I went and grab my rifle and just sat there watching the destruction. I just needed the little
peace of mind that the rifle gave me.

floppy hat jon
09-10-2002, 06:29 PM
JT, to be honest with you, it's really not so great over there anymore. Of course there are a lot of the same familiar faces who are always entertaining, but there's a lot of negativity. A lot of people seem to be planning to migrate over to Bananapunk's new site once that's up and running, similar to the mass exodus out of here a couple years ago and over to Collectstarwars.com. I figured I'd come back over and give SSG another try - spread myself out a bit. How's things?

On a positive note, I'm getting married in 4 days.

kdp100
09-10-2002, 06:55 PM
Best wishes to you then, Floppy Hat John!

I was jet-lagged this time last year, having flown over NYC on my way back to England some 60 hours before the first attack, having just visited the US for the first time and enjoyed one of the best holidays of my life in California, Arizona, and Nevada.

I took that Tuesday morning off work and arrived around 2pm BST, just as the first news items were being aired over the radio and internet in my office. Shock didn't set in until about 30 hours later, when I watched about 6 hours of continuous TV coverage.

These attacks have affected a lot of people and spawned a lot of hatred. This is forum on Star WARS, and it's a shame people can't keep the concept of "wars" in the realm of fantasy, where nobody really gets hurt.

Master Goeweins
09-10-2002, 09:51 PM
I had decided to take a three day sabbatical to finish some of my writing. The first day was to be 9/11. I had the phones disconnected and the TV off. When I checked my emails around 10:30 am, I checked a couple of daily web sites and caught wind of what was happening. I turned on the TV and everything just fell apart.
I went to my parents house and just lived on their couch for a week straight. I even forgot to tell my roommate where I went. He finally called my parents worried. I haven't felt the same since.

dr_evazan22
09-11-2002, 12:36 AM
I work PT at UPS and had punched out around 8:50 or so. Turned Howard stern on and he told the audience that the WTC was on fire (they didn't yet know it was a plane). Just before I got home they said that a plane flew into the 2nd tower. I ran inside, turned on CNN and watched the replay of the 2nd tower. It was just a few minutes after 9 so I called my Mom who just arrived at work and told her about it.

Shortly, CNN reported that it was possible that the White House was on fire. After about 15 min's they confirmed that it was the Pentagon.

When the first tower collapsed CNN had a split screen of NY and DC and the anchors/reporters didn't even notice, they continued their conversation.

There were 2 things that really struck me while watching the endless hours of TV. The first was a shot of somewhere in the MidEast where people were happy the Great Satan finally had its long overdue comeuppance. the picture was of a young kid, around 12 y/o. He seemed so happy; he had a piece of cake; he was playing it up for the camera; for the life of him he couldn't keep the cake on the fork from the plate to his face, he finally had to look down at his plate to eat. At the time I wished I could use the Force like DV, killing Adm Ozzel over Hoth. After time for reflection I was reminded of SW: The Magic Of Myth, where one of the motifs is of consumption

The second was when a camera was panning over the endless walls of photos of missing people. I saw a face I recognized. He was a FF, I think in the Bronx. His name was Angel. He had been a contestant on the Fox reality TV show "Murder In Small Town X" and he won a million $.

Lord Malakite
09-11-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by dr_evazan22
The second was when a camera was panning over the endless walls of photos of missing people. I saw a face I recognized. He was a FF, I think in the Bronx. His name was Angel. He had been a contestant on the Fox reality TV show "Murder In Small Town X" and he won a million $.

Unfortunately, they later did find and confirm that he was one of the dead. :(

dr_evazan22
09-11-2002, 09:25 AM
Thasnks for letting me know Lord_Malakite. I hadn't heard anything about him. I'm glad they were able to recover him.:(

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-11-2002, 10:53 AM
I was resting comfortably that morning when my roommate called from work and told me to turn on the TV, that something horrible had happened. I made my way to the TV and turned it on and took a few seconds to get adjusted to what i had seen. I sat and sprang through all the channels looking for the best coverage i could get (CNN never lets me down) and sat in horror for a bit. I called my brother (who works in a Chicago skyscraper) and caught him just as he was heading down stairs. Every building in Chicago had been evacuated as a precaution, if you wanted to leave, you were free to go. He made his way outside and i asked if everything was alright. He let me know that my aunt (who works in the prudential building, 3rd to last floor on top) was sent home as well. He said he would call me back when he got home. My roomies mom called and informed me of what happened. I hung up with her and took a quick shower and when i got back to the TV, the first tower had fallen. I couldn't believe it. After what seemed hours of watching, the second tour plunged as well. I just sat there in complete shock. I grabbed my books and headed to school. There, people sat around a TV in the lobby and the teachers said we were free to go, and we talked for a bit and i retreated home. See, i lived in Columbus, OH at the time and the entire city was shut down. Malls were closed, not a plan was in the sky (we listend for any plane, which meant certain trouble), the city was at a stand still. We called various places to see if they open and very few were. We watched the destruction for a bit and realized we needed to get out of there for a bit. We went and saw "Jay and silent bob strike back" for a 3rd time, cause we needed a retreat, if only for 2 hours. After i got home, i got some gas (avoided the 2 mile long lines of cars) and came home. I sat around and listened to some tunes for a bit and got to bed. Thank fully, none of my family had been hurt and all i loved was safe. I then went to bed and fell into a really uneasy sleep.

Sorry about the long reply, that day just brings memories back to me. Hope everybody is well. take care!- JMG

"Immerse your soul in love"- Radiohead

"One sunny mornin' we'll rise I know
And I'll meet you further on up the road
One sunny morning we'll rise I know
And I'll meet you further on up the road"
- Bruce Springsteen
-"Further on Up the Road"

c_richards
09-11-2002, 12:02 PM
I remember it all as if it happened yesterday.

I had the day off of work, and was sleeping. My mom ran into my room sobbing and said, "We're under attack, they detroyed the WTC!"

I quickly woke up, and turned on the news, and at the same time...tried to calm her down. My dad had already left for work, so it was only my mom and I for a while.

I began watching coverage of a cowardly and gutless attack on not just the WTC, Pentagon and the plane that went down in Pennsylvania, but an attack against America. An attack against freedom.

I saw images that burned themselves into my mind that I would rather not have. Buildings on fire, chunks of concrete, glass and steel twisted and shattered. A shower of paper gently floating in the wind. Then I witnessed probably the most disturbing events. Watching people jump or fall out of the towers.

Immediately there were reports that the SF Bay Area was next. Bridges could be targeted, landmarks in our area could be hit. In a phrase, Total Chaos.

About 8:30, my dad calls from work saying that he just got out of a meeting, and he's on his way home. Fear of other attacks forced his company to shut down, and everyone was to go home!
I was relived to have him home. Little did I realize that many children and wives wouldn't be so lucky!

I spent most of the day in front of the TV. Hours of news bulletins, video, and pictures still haunt me.

Flash forward to 9/11/02.
Driving in to work, my local radio station morning show was playing excerpts from the memorials and events going on to remember a year ago, and I began crying. Even now as I write this, tears fill my eyes as I recall the events of such a tragic day!

I made a CD earlier this week in which I put songs I thought best reflected the mood, and in my mind, made the most sense to remember those that died a year ago today. Songs like:

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA
Lee Greenwood - God Bless The USA (fused with audio clips of Pres. Bush and others after the attacks)
Chad Kroger (F. Josey Scott) - Hero

Listening to one of the songs, I actually heard the lyrics, and it just was soo poignent.... from Creed's "With Arms Wide Open"
"Well I just heard the news today
I dropped to my knees and began to pray"
While the song is about the birth of the singer's child, I thought those two lines really said a lot!

Thanks for letting me express my view and take on the events of a year ago. And if you haven't done so, go home, hug your kids, spouse, or parents and tell them you love them!

MTFBWY!

OCB
09-11-2002, 12:07 PM
I had just got to work...I got a call from a coworker saying he thought he saw a plane run into the WTC...then my wife called after the second plane hit

I logged on the net and CNN etc were down. JT started the thread over at Collect Star Wars...and it was my only source of news, I was scared, and reading through the posts again so were a lot of people...

Thanks JT for your level of sanity at the time ;)

http://forums.rebelscum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=004105

JediTricks
09-11-2002, 02:59 PM
FHJ, congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals! That's fantastic!

OCB, thanks for the link and the backhanded insult - you tryin' to say I'm not sane now? :crazed: ;) :D j/k

Today once again, I'm feeling like our society isn't really fighting that nameless infection that bogs us down into the misery and pain and terror and hatred that those foul acts of one year ago incited. I hope that isn't the case, but for the past year we've been fixated on so many aspects of these heinous deeds, and most of those aspects we've focused upon feel more like minutiae than vital pieces to the puzzle. We should all feel grief and pain, but we cannot wallow in them or we let those that did this win. We have to move on with our lives and recognize that suffering does nobody any good. I'm not saying we should forget about what happened, but it's vital to not live in the past - live in the now, live for the future. Today, just try to celebrate life when you remember what has happened.

Nebulaz
09-11-2002, 03:06 PM
driving to school

PloKoon2385
09-11-2002, 05:50 PM
I was walking to my 1st Period class. It was about 6:30 Pacific Time and I was early. I heard two teachers walking by talking about a plane hijacking. I went to the library and talked to my friend who explained what had happened. During 1st Period we watched the news.

JetsAndHeels
09-11-2002, 05:55 PM
I was sitting in my office at Duke Hospital. I remember talking to one of the patients over the phone and they informed me of what was taking place. I couldn't believe it. Just 2 months before I visited NYC and stood right there were the WTC was. The thought of it in that state was a total shock to me.
I checked CNN and a couple other of the news sites to get a picture of the chaos. It absolutely blew my mind. To me it was like the end of the world or something. I remember going into the employee lounge and looking at the TV as the events unfolded. I remember one of my co-workers placing her head on my shoulder as she cried. Truly a sad and tragic day for us all. I will never forget it.

Jango Jett
09-11-2002, 10:37 PM
I was at home drinking my morning cup of coffee about 7:00 am
pacific time, then I turned on the tv to watch the news and saw
the plane crash into the second tower , it was almost unbelievable, I thought it was an accident at first. :mad:

dr_evazan22
09-12-2002, 01:01 AM
As a kid I would go to the Jersey Shore for vacations. There were fences on the sand dunes to help keep them in place; they're made of slats of wood held together w/ wire.

After the smoke cleared and you could see the remains of The Two Towers I saw the facade that was still standing. It looked just like those fences.

__________________________________________________ __

I still get emotional, actually very emotional, when I here (or think) of the selfless acts of courage of the FF, PD any of the civilians who helped, Flight 93. There were a number of volunteer FF deaths in this area in the past year that hit the same chord.

I'm filled w/ great pride for the spirit that those people showed. The best of the American spirit, the Human Spirit.

There are a couple of other things I want to say, but can't seem to put my thoughts together right now.

Jedi Master Silas
09-12-2002, 01:13 AM
My husband and I were sleeping in. The tv was on when I heard plane crash and awoke then received a call.... I knew it was a terrorist attack. I worked on a K9 Tactical SAR Unit for 5 years. I was on stand by for the Oklahoma bombing and served on many rescue/recovery missions in the USA . My Unit also served over seas. I've seen alot of things but this is the worst and this has effected me more then any mission my K9 companion and i ever served on. The brutality of man is god awful and this event has changed my life. One year later and I see a photo and i have to hold back the tears...I dont think that feeling will ever go away.....

mini-rock
09-12-2002, 02:31 AM
I fell asleep in front of the tv (on the floor) my wife stormed in from work at 7a.m. or so, and woke me up. She turned the tv on and a few minutes later I saw the 2nd plane hit. I literally had to slap myself 'cause I thought I was dreaming.