PDA

View Full Version : Loose vs Carded-your opinion

aharry
09-09-2002, 08:58 PM
If you were a collector that collected two of each figure to keep one carded and one loose, but for whatever reason you had to let go of either one or the other, which one would pick? The carded figures or the loose figures? I am unfortunately facing this problem and curious to see what you guys would do.

Rogue II
09-09-2002, 09:03 PM
Here is a thread already about this:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13648

I'm happy with my loose collection and I wouldn't do anything different.

Beast
09-09-2002, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't collect carded, because all it is is a waste of space. I prefer my figures freed from their plastic prisons so that I can mess around with them and admire how well sculpted they are. Figures on the card are little more then expensive wall hangings, in my opinion.

So, I guess that if I had both I would ditch the carded. Collecting is a tactile thing, so I would rather look and feel my figures then just see them hanging on a wall or in a box. Figures on the card can't truely be appreciated, in my honest opinion. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sith Lord 0498
09-09-2002, 09:04 PM
I'd dump the carded figure in a heartbeat. My style of collecting is an "interactive museum exhibit." All of my Star Wars collectibles are arranged in my attic like a museum room, but everything is out of the packaging so it can be handled, played with, read, etc. The only figure I still have in the packaging is the Toy Fair silver Darth Vader because it's a collectible item and not just another action figure.

Nebulaz
09-09-2002, 11:36 PM
I on the other hand would ditch the loose figs and salvage the carded ones. With the minimal amount of time I have to admire my collection per day, i dont have enough time to play with them and find them at a better use on my walls papering them. And this way you never lose any of the pieces.

rynobot
09-09-2002, 11:46 PM
I only collect carded figures so I'd get rid of the loose.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-10-2002, 12:01 AM
I'm just curious as to the reason why you have to make the choice between dumping either your loose or carded collection?

Is it because of a lack of space or money or a both or neither?

If I ever had to make that choice, I think I would choose cutting off one of my thumbs.

Chiesa
09-10-2002, 12:14 AM
Don't you just hate it when you have to make this kind of a decision? In my opinion, I would just keep the loose ones as I'm one of those proud loose collectors who actually play with them alittle and I like to constantly change my display alittle here and there... But I do keep a few carded figures of those that I really LOVE... Ultimately, too many carded figures is a waste of space and it will just look unsightly kept in huge carton boxes lying around my room...

But thats just me... The choice is still up to ya!! Just don't regret the decision that you make!

Cheers
:crazed:

JangoFart
09-10-2002, 12:56 AM
I'd ditch the loose ones. In the past year, I'd say I've sold about 200 loose figures on eBay.

Before repayment of the old law school loans kicked in, I would buy two of each figure, as have you - one to open and one to keep carded. Over time, I had a HUGE amount of both. For space reasons, I sold off about 2/3 of my opened stuff.

I prefer my carded critters. I posted pics of most of them at:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10154&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I've had it set up both ways in my Nerd Nest (tm) :) Having had it both ways, I prefer the setup I currently have with the carded, protected figures as the prominent part of the collection with the loose stuff making up specific characters or scenes that I dig.

Can anyone spare 2 cents? I seemed to have just given up mine.

J

Jayspawn
09-10-2002, 01:27 AM
Sansweet said that Star Wars figures are meant to be played with. And I agre with him. Thats why I open 98% of what I buy. But I'm all for keeping figures like ToyFair Vader, Theatre Luke and Sacul in the package.

karinations
09-10-2002, 02:13 AM
I like em loose,like my women.

-V-

bigbarada
09-10-2002, 11:50 AM
I collect loose almost exclusively (with the odd exception of buying a carded "spare" of figures I really like).

I tried collecting everything carded when Star Wars reappeared in 1995. Until I came to the realization that I could save a lot of money by just going into TRU with a camera, snapping a photo of the toy aisle and hanging that on my wall. Collecting carded figures was just as fun only a lot more expensive, and after my room accumulated over a dozen figures on the wall I half expected to hear and intercom blurt out "a customer needs assistance in aisle 5," or "price check on Tickle Me Elmo" whenever I walked into my room.

After a couple of months, I decided that I was tired of living in a toy store and opened everything and never looked back.

So, I can't give you advice on which one to keep, since 99% of my collection is loose.

JangoFart
09-10-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I collect loose almost exclusively (with the odd exception of buying a carded "spare" of figures I really like).

I tried collecting everything carded when Star Wars reappeared in 1995. Until I came to the realization that I could save a lot of money by just going into TRU with a camera, snapping a photo of the toy aisle and hanging that on my wall. Collecting carded figures was just as fun only a lot more expensive, and after my room accumulated over a dozen figures on the wall I half expected to hear and intercom blurt out "a customer needs assistance in aisle 5," or "price check on Tickle Me Elmo" whenever I walked into my room.

After a couple of months, I decided that I was tired of living in a toy store and opened everything and never looked back.

So, I can't give you advice on which one to keep, since 99% of my collection is loose.

LOL!

LOVE that story, BigB!! I'm THIS CLOSE to ripping all my stuff open now! :)

J

The Overlord Returns
09-10-2002, 12:15 PM
Well....if you're getting rid of one or the other for financial reasons....wouldn't the carded ones fetch you more money?

I rip everything open. I don't see hte point of carded figures. These babies are meant to be messed around with, and more importantly, enjoyed. If I want something to hang on my wall I've got my Clockwork orange and various other film posters...

Exhaust Port
09-10-2002, 12:31 PM
If you keep the carded ones you always have the option of becoming a "loose" collector but it can't work the other way around. I would say keep the carded figures and if you later want to have a figure or 2 loose then open them up. If your downsizing for financial reasons then I would ditch the carded as they would fetch more $$.

Sinister Lord
09-10-2002, 02:17 PM
If I had to choose, I would ditch the carded stuff. I open almost everything these days, I just don't have room for the newer bulkier bubbles on the new packaging. They just take up too much space.

OriginalBryGuy
09-10-2002, 02:49 PM
If you were a collector that collected two of each figure to keep one carded and one loose, but for whatever reason you had to let go of either one or the other, which one would pick? The carded figures or the loose figures? I am unfortunately facing this problem and curious to see what you guys would do.

Rather then hop on one side or the other just yet, I think the bigger "back at ya" question is...why are you in this situation? Are you wanting to give up a carded collection for more figures to make a diorama? Are you giving away the loose collection cause they're bent, melted, broken, missing pieces..blah, blah, blah..

Collectiong loose and carded is definitely an amount of money I don't even want to talk about. haha..

My quesiton to you is, why do you want to let one of your collections go?

aceguide
09-10-2002, 02:49 PM
FREE THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!

Turbowars
09-10-2002, 07:26 PM
I'd get rid of the loose. I only open a few here and there, but most of the time, I'm very disappointed with the figure when I open them up. If you need the $, sell the carded, but if it was me I'd keep them. There's other ways of making $

Lord Malakite
09-10-2002, 07:40 PM
I'd say packaged, because at least then you would always have the option of opening them later if you wish.

Hellboy
09-10-2002, 07:59 PM
I'd have to stop collecting loose.
I know I'm probably in the minority but I like the way the packaging displays the figures especially the Vintage line. I'm not sure who said it but I'm quoting a forum member who said "the Vintage figures are like mini works of art." I agree.
I'm a completist on a budget so I buy everything carded and if it's a good sculpt or a character I love I'll get one for my loose collection as well.

sith_killer_99
09-10-2002, 10:25 PM
If you, or I had to get rid of one or the other, it would be the loose stuff.

If you want them loose later you can always have a blast ripping those suckers open.

So, if you can't decide, I would just keep the carded stuff. If you decide to go with both later, loose is always less expensive to try to replace.

Just my 2 cents.
;)

QLD
09-10-2002, 11:07 PM
I hate it when people use my jokes.......ugh.....

Anyway, I like my figures like Jar Jar's mom ;) j/k

Dark Knight
09-10-2002, 11:23 PM
I say" whatever". I collect opened and loose. I love my loose collection as much as my carded. I ran out of space for my carded so part of my collection is in boxes. I hate not having them out to look at but I still like love them all.

Lord Malakite
09-10-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I hate it when people use my jokes.......ugh.....

Anyway, I like my figures like Jar Jar's mom ;) j/k

Hope JarJar dosen't see that. He will be heart broken.

aharry
09-11-2002, 12:52 AM
Hello all, thank you for your replies. It seems to be an almost 50-50 split, with the loose collectors staying just ahead. I must say that this has been a very hard decision, but I'm leaning towards letting the cards go. I love my cards and having them displayed behind my loose stuff has been great. When I started collecting back in 1996, I was only interested in just cards until I thought of how cool displays would look. I have since built a bunch of shelves in my spare room/den and bought enough of whatever figure I needed to make up some decent displays. I guess I too consider the carded figures somewhat pieces of art (or pop art), with the packaging and all. I feel that I have put alot more effort and time towards the loose side of my collection however and think that I'll be happier with that in the long run.

Obi-Don
09-11-2002, 01:05 AM
All my stuff is loose.I just can't leave them in those packages.They got to be free and where I can touch them.

Prince Xizor
09-11-2002, 10:46 AM
You still didn't tell us why you have to sell one or the other.....

allenj456
09-11-2002, 11:17 AM
open- i have several "special" ones that I keep carded- but even most of those are dups.

patchiswelsh
09-11-2002, 11:39 AM
loose is cool cos u can play with em
and the displays can be all sorts of different types

gibbspaulus
09-11-2002, 11:42 AM
Bin the loose. I can then have all the fun of opening the carded again, untying umpteen metal stringy things, losing all those invisible elastic bands...etc. also I can tie up a carded collector and make them watch me rip open R2-B1, or Freeze Frame Weequay...

And who cares why - it was a hypothetical question!

Lyet
09-11-2002, 12:08 PM
Up until Saga, I was a loose collector. With the saga figures and their "force actions" I decided that a lot of them look better in the package. If I absolutely had to, though, the loose figures would be the keepers.

Rogue II
09-11-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by gibbspaulus
Bin the loose. I can then have all the fun of opening the carded again, untying umpteen metal stringy things, losing all those invisible elastic bands...etc. also I can tie up a carded collector and make them watch me rip open R2-B1, or Freeze Frame Weequay...

And who cares why - it was a hypothetical question!

I love that. A couple months ago, I bought a carded Admiral Motti and opened it. Too bad there wasn't any carded collectors around to watch me.:D

jedi_uk73
09-11-2002, 12:26 PM
I used to get two of each fig, one to open, other to stay on the card.

I have recently got rid of all my loose figs, so I can concentrate on carded only.

They look so much better on a wall, sure beats wallpaper. :D

OriginalBryGuy
09-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Since I don't make huge dioramas for many to enjoy I stick with carded. I know I'd loose every little accessory that comes with those figures if I opened them! haha

Sidiously Darth
09-11-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by karinations
I like em loose,like my women.

-V-

Now that's an inspirational comment. Loose is always good!:cool:

QLD
09-11-2002, 08:59 PM
I opened up a freeze frame sandtrooper and Jorg Sacul. I wish I had a few carded collectors around when I did that as well. Also have every other figure loose too. Including Motti, Sio Bibble, Swimming Jar Jar, R2B1, holo Sidious, etc. etc....;)

Sinister Lord
09-11-2002, 09:40 PM
My Sio Bibble is loose too... he's an action hero! He can't be stuck in a bubble all the time, ya know?

rherk
09-11-2002, 10:05 PM
First ask yourself why you collect in the first place. Is it because you love the product, the sculpture the toy, the movie. Or are you out to someday hopefully make a buck like the few who kept the originals in the package. I hate to break it to you if you collect them for the later reason, everone and their mothers have a basement full of these figures carded. I say play with them, pose them, disply them, love'em.

QLD
09-11-2002, 11:51 PM
I also roll around with them in a tub of honey. Is that normal?

Hellboy
09-12-2002, 12:18 AM
About as normal as the Gimp.

Rogue II
09-12-2002, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I also roll around with them in a tub of honey. Is that normal?

Only if you are Demi Moore or Woody Harrelson.

I'm looking for a Commtech Leia. I am going to open her if I can't find it loose. I gave up trying to find R2-B1 and TC-14 (or 17 I can never remember). I thought they might be nice additions as scene fillers. I guess if I need a silver 3PO, I'll just get an extra K-3PO or C-3PO and paint it.

gibbspaulus
09-12-2002, 08:07 AM
Aaah, but then you'll miss out on TC-14's amazing accessories - a tray with a coffee pot on it...

I haveopened TC-14, R2-B1, and every other figure I own. I did sit sweating for ten minutes beforehand but it was worth it.

Rogue II
09-12-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by gibbspaulus
Aaah, but then you'll miss out on TC-14's amazing accessories - a tray with a coffee pot on it...

From the prices I have seen on TC-14, that would be 1 expensive coffie pot and tray set. Then again, it might look good in the Cantina.